Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager Timing Belt

oldarmyoldarmy Member Posts: 27
edited March 2014 in Nissan
I am approaching 105K on my 99 Quest. I know the manual calls for a timing belt change at this interval. Some have recommended changing the water pump at the same time. Was wondering what to expect to pay for this job. I guess I will have the plugs changed also..hope they can get them out.

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please let us know how it goes. I'm almost at 115,000 miles on my '99 Quest and I haven't done my plugs, belts or water pump yet.

The Edmunds Maintenance Guide will estimate what it should cost in your zip code.

Steve, Host
    SUVs and Speed Shop
  • 46ts46ts Member Posts: 7
    If you do it yourself I paid $80 for the water pump, timing belt and 3 belts for the AC, PS and Alternator. The job was fairly easy for those with mechanical experience. Definatley not for the novice. Timing marks are critical on the 3.3 timing belt. I replaced my spark plugs at 134K, they squeaked and resisted coming out but they did with no proplem. Replaced with NGK Iridium spark plugs. Expect to pay $300 to $400 on a timing belt replacement.
    99 Nissan Quest w/ac 134K: Fan blower resister blows after 3 days replacement. I suspect it over heats from a short somewhere. Nissan dealership suggested could be something in the rear air controls or the second resistor for the rear (where is that?) The ac does not work, hot air does not reach the rear vents. Has anyone gone through the blower resistor problem and found faults causing the resistor to blow?
    My fan has never hiccuped on my '99. I found this post with an Advanced Search (on the left) searching for "Fan blower resistor"

motonation, "Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems" #2441, 28 Jul 2006 7:09 pm

More searching would probably turn up some more hints for a fix.

Steve, Host
    SUVs and Speed Shop
  • oldarmyoldarmy Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the info on the timing belt change.
    What is you opinion...is the 3.3 an interference engine or not? this has been a question on this forum for years.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Got another question for you, STEVE. I remember some discussion a while back on a coolant leak somewhere on these vehicles. I tried the search but couldn't find anything. After I park my vehicle, I can smell antifreeze, and I have to top off the tank maybe every few months or so. Nothing on the ground, though. Mine's a 2001 Villager. :)
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    Yeah, some little hose on the top of the engine rots away. Mine's doing the same thing. :shades:

Let me search around and see if I can find a thread with more info and I'll try to edit this within the 30 minute window.

[edit] Ok, the rotten hose I keep thinking about is the BPT hose connected to the EGR and that'll flip the CEL on but doesn't cause a coolant smell.

These two posts talk about leaking coolant hoses and clamps (and the first one segues into timing belts, conveniently enough :shades: ).

motonation, "Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems" #2158, 22 Nov 2005 6:18 pm

kymike, "Nissan Quest/Mercury Villager problems" #1656, 6 Dec 2004 10:32 am

Steve, Host
    SUVs & Speed Shop
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    Thanks for the links. That's what I was looking for.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • jorgerjorger Member Posts: 6
    I need help on how to change the timming belt.I am fairly expirienced working on cars.
    how do I line the timming mark.thanx J
    What year Quest?

For my '99, the manual says:

The printed arrow on the belts should be pointing away from the engine. The belt should have 3 white timing marks on it. Each white timing mark will be aligned with the corresponding camshaft and crankshaft timing mark on the sprocket.

You'll have 40 teeth between the timing marks between the LF and RH camshaft sprockets and 43 teeth between the LH camshaft sprocket and the crankshaft timing sprocket.

Here's a pic.

Steve, Host
    SUVs and Speed Shop
    thanks steve I will try it this weekend.I will keep you posted.J
    You can also search for "Auto Repair Reference Center" in your state or city; many local public libraries subscribe to this database and will let their patrons access it for free. I can get to it online with my library card number. Other libraries offer access to Alldatadiy.com too.

They have complete repair info for most recent makes and model cars.

Steve, Host
    SUVs & Speed Shop
    steve its a 97 quest.
    Try this link instead of my stuff then - under subtopics/timing belt. Have a fun weekend.:-)

Steve, Host
    SUVs & Speed Shop
    steve your schematic of the timing belt worked beautifully. the quest is purrring again and i am the hero to my wife.
    thanx J
    need help lining the timing on the caravan for a co-workers van, can you help?
    Hey, if you're going into the business, maybe I can get you out to Boise to do mine. :shades:

Try one of the discussions in the Voyager/Caravan group for help with the Caravan timing. There's also alldatadiy.com and the Auto Repair Reference Center you can try (many local libraries subscribe to one or the other, and many let you log in from home with a library card number to download schematics and tech info).

Steve, Host
    SUVs and Speed Shop
    I recall reading it once that it is a interference engine and I started looking for a timing belt, should be changed at 100K is what I read, and I thought that seemed kind of late.
    I just did a 96 Dodge Caravan 3.0 and found inside the distribor white lines to line up, I did and set the distributor rotor to line up with #1 spark plug wire. I was looking for the traditional marks on the crankshaft pully and found three notches, one notch had white paint on it. I aligned that up to the barrel view thing and then noticed the white marks lined up inside the distributor. If all else fails you can remove #1 spark plug and just tapping the ignition over wait for air to blow out of #1 spark plug hole. That is TDC right when #1 compression piston is at the top of the cylinder.
  • jwkean01jwkean01 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 99 Villager that threw the timing belt while I was trying to start it in my driveway. I had the timing belt replaced ($500 - included all the recommended replacements like the water pump) and then tried to have the car inspected. It passed the Mechanical Inspection but failed the emissions due to two codes. The Knock Sensor and the Cam Sensor. I don't believe there is anything wrong with the sensors. This car just passed emissions only 7 months ago. I'm convinced something happened with the timing belt. Is it possible that the garage didn't dial in the timing correctly causing misfiring or inefficient firing because the fire point is not hitting the precise time?

Anyone have something like this happen?

Jim
  • linashlinash Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Mercury Villager. The Timing belt broke at 118,000. I replaced the belt. I set up crank and cam to marks on belt. Car will not start and seems to be running free. I noticed that the instructions state that the crank is set at 5 o'clock postion,the left cam at 2 o'clock position and the right at 10 o'clock position. However, when I install the belt the marks on the belt do not align with the belt marks. I removed the belt and aligned cams to belt marks. Car will not start. Did I damage the engine? Engine in supposed to be noninterference. Can you help?
    I'm not sure what the difference is in the engines - my '99 is either a bit different or tweaked for a bit more hp. It's at 120,000 with the original belt.

I could look up the marks in my manual but I wouldn't trust the info for your '95, plus I can do brakes and minor stuff, but don't think I'm ready to tackle a timing belt. So I'm not much help.

Can you access some of the links in the Online Repair Manuals Guide? They may approach the issue from a different angle that whatever resource you are now using to replace the belt.

Anyone else?

Steve, visiting host
This discussion has been closed.