Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ross: for me personally, I agree. I like small, nimble cars, while my wife wants more room and a smooth ride.

But consider this - the WRX wagon and Outback Sport have grown and are so close to the current Forester that they could easily address the needs of people wanting something smaller. Today, I'd probably buy a WRX wagon for myself.

So scenario #2 would appeal to you, I guess. Change the rear suspension and add VVT for maybe 170 horses. Sounds good to me, but no less, please.

Only the RAV4 is smaller inside, basically. Competitors are all bigger now.

-juice
    C'mon spy pix! They have to be doing a photo shoot somewhere!

-juice
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Unfortunately, I have to agree with juice and guess #2 also. #1 will probably be a bit too much overlap with a Legacy wagon. #3 is also likely, but the Forester does need to compete with the ever-growing mini-SUV segment.

Struts in the hood would be nice. I changed my air filter today and the prop-up bar gets right in the way on my Phase I engine.

Ken
    The only catch is they do need replacing. My dad's Taurus sags and the hood has fallen on his head. Not fun.

-juice
    OK, we need a translator. Looks aren't exactly flattering, but they're just drawings.

That first photo shows one huge grille. Hood scoop means turbo! But that could be for other markets. Looks more wagony that the current Forester, though. Roof rails are better integrated. Why the twin fog lights? Roof tapers down a la Matrix. Looks short, small. Fix the front, it looks too much like a large-mouth bass.

The 2nd photo is decidedly more truckish, with headlights that remind me of a Nissan, XTrail I think. The grille is much better, though. It also has a pair of fog lights, but no hood scoop. The cladding is bigger, a la Baja, and it's even boxier than the current one. The roof rails do not look integrated, they actually look flimsy. Both drawings show headlamp washers and what seem like 17" wheels.

Neither is particularly attractive, but I'd pick the first if you could meld the grille from the 2nd one onto it.

What do you folks think?

-juice

PS They seem more like drawings of what the next one could look like, rather than what it will look like
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Who can translate? We've obviously got two completely different takes on what the new Forester "might" look like. Actually three, if you include the one shown in Mag X a while back.

Bob
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    If post #3807, then the HM-01 show car was the shape of things to come. If post #3808, then Jeep influence shows heavily. Better than what we've had to go on thus far.

Ed
    I liked the Mag-X drawing better than either of these. It looked more like a grown up Forester.

The one in 3807 does remind you of the HM-01 (good catch, Ed), but I didn't like the concept that much. It had 3 rows, which I doubt would fit in that tiny car in the sketch.

As a designer, what did you think, Bob?

-juice
  • pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    Thanx for the pix canadatwo. What does it say in the articles ?

I must say that based on the exterior alone, I like the second one much better. It retains the sqaurish foglight with stone guards on the present Subaru.

Whatever changes they make I hope they DO NOT mess around with the nimble and sporty handling
    I get with it now. Lowering the c.g. would probably make it better in this respect.

After driving my Forester for about 2 months and 2500miles now, the only two items in my wish list are: a little more leg-room at the back, change in position of the cup holder.
    They may need more width to fit a Legacy-style cup holder in the center console.

Give us that rear multi-link suspension, though. I'd love to see the spring towers intruding less into the cargo bay, as well as more leg room.

-juice
    I think you mean the triangle-challenged WX-01?

In any case, I like elements from both these drawings. What this says to me is... who knows what the next Forester will look like??

Anybody out there read German?

Bob
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    a bit too much cladding, but otherwise has a nice flavor to it
    It does looks like a Jeep wrapped in Baja cladding with Nissan headlights.

I agree that these sketches are merely suggestions for the next Forester. But great detective work there!

-juice
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    1st pic:
    The newest model of the Forestor will be more roomy and sporty
    2nd:
    Plans to market the Forestor as an SUV were abandoned
    the second one too, even with all the cladding. I do prefer the roof rail on the first one though. I bet it will get large (Subaru signature) foglamps.

Bob
    Per Kate's translating, it seems like they ditched the 2nd look, which is indeed more truckish.

Though I don't see the extra room they're talking about, it looks almost smaller.

-juice
    I hear you both, juice and pal086. The Forester is more nimble than any Legacy IMO, and has more practical cargo space than any Impreza wagon due to its more vertical rear gate. Reducing the spring tower area would make that space even more useful.

It's tough, I must admit. While I expect to keep my Forester for at least 3 more years, for the last few months I've had real WRX wagon envy. Yet the Forester is a much more practical car for my needs than the WRX. On the other hand I came very close to buying a Legacy GT wagon over the Forester but wouldn't consider it unless it got more power than the current Forester. Will just have to see what the future holds for my household.

Cupholders? Why couldn't they just scrap the one in the dash and have it fold out of the center console/armrest extension? Does it take that much R&D money?

Ed
    for any real sense of size and proportion. Sketches are only good for getting an idea of what their thinking is in terms of design direction.

Bob
  • canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    One pair (yellow) are probably fog lights, the other (clear) are driving lights.

That is assuming the drawing is correct.
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    Folks, it's the large-mouth bass, and the H-6 is an option (!) if this is to be believed... The boxier version was rejected because the growth in the "classic off-road segment" is slower than the growth in the hybrid/crossover segment.
    It also says the Forester is their "most important model" (?), and that it's bigger and roomier than before. No specs though.
    and I couldn't find a link fast enough to remember which was which, the triangular wagon or the little city car. I'll take the large-mouth bass over the over-cladded Jeep/Nissan lookalike. H6 will make the new Forester a tasty treat if it doesn't gain much weight otherwise.

Ed
  • canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    Anything in the article about an updated H4 with improved HP & torque numbers?

(I do not know German)
  • bblachabblacha Member Posts: 160
    It also says the Forester will be revealed in Europe in March 2002 at the Geneva show, and be on the market in late Summer.

And it mentions the Subaru Justy as being based on Suzuki Swift. I didn't realize there's still a Justy.

The engines it mentions is the 212-hp six-cylinder from the Legacy in addition to the previous 4-cylinder.

--Bart
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I like the second sketch better than the first.

Did anyone notice the Crocodile Dundee dude in the sketches!

Ken
    this is getting to be fun! Think Subaru will pull a fast one (pun intended!) and slip the H-6 in there without us noticing?

Subaru, after the Baja fiasco, I can't take another letdown. Please, no more teasing...

Bob
    how recent that German article is?

Bob
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    It may be obvious (and certainly defensible later) but I think that the new Forester will have a little of the Mag-x styling, the "big mouth bass" styling (though I don't like the comparison; don't think it looks bass-like) and the muscle-SUV style. I'm studying them as I write this and I'd say...
    a. The four spaces, three bars of the SUV style stays: it continues the prior grill style and is a signature of sorts, helping to ID the Forester as such.
    b. The SUV style looks vaguely RAV4 and CR-V -- that goes in favor of the Big Mouth Bass's swoopiness and sportiness, but the Bass gets the SUV's headlights, or a slightly more sporty version (again continuing a look more like the present version).
    c. The more modest cladding of Bass and Mag-x carries the day.
    d. The Mag-x's feeling of length carries the day -- and the grill shape. The Bass is actually more shark-like, and vaguely reminds me of the 1800 and 2000 Volvo (the Saint's car) but with more modern, chunky looks. (the SUV grill shape is more Legacy/Impreza)The chunkiness carries the day in some proportions however, as that is how to get more volume on the same length or only slightly lengthened base. Add an inch at each side, add two inches in the back (or between the backseat and back of the front seat!)-- more volume, chunkier looks.
    e. If the H-6 is going into the Forester, I think that means two things- more weight in the new version (gotta have the grunt to keep ahead of the new faster CR-V, and not let the FORD/MAZDA get out of sight); and it is an intermediate step to a turbo in the future. They'll give the car the possiblity of a little more performance to test the waters, if it's big: hello, turbo! The idea of a performance Forester is in the water, plus it taps into the WRX phenomonon; not such a stretch if one views the Japanese Forester and the Worldview of performance sport-wagon (the coming thing, or so it is said). And it is, in part, a stab at the Matrix -- performance and volume.

Picture a softer looking Forester with "swoop" cues -- but enough like the present one that no one is confused. I read that FHI is going to a single symbol (SUBARU cluster) in Japan for all their cars, where there had been several in the past -- Forester had its own. A move to brand consciousness and symbol as ID.

Well, that's my Buck-two-ninty-eight, as my in-laws like to say.
  • subypowersubypower Member Posts: 50
    I remember at one of my Subaru meetings last summer, they told us there would be a new Forester with the WRX engine and turbo complete with the hood scoop. That car was supposed to come out this March. I think this has been scratched in favor of the H6. What you can count on is that any new design change probably will not be too drastic.
    H6 option sounds good. Give us something to step up to. I noticed the guy in the cowboy hat, too. :-)

So, more crossover, less truckish? Forester is very significant, but the Outback pays the bills.

Remember, they may do a turbo and the H6. The turbo for overseas markets like Japan and Australia, that already get them now, and the H6 for US only.

Bottom line: surprise us, please! H6, rear suspension change, Legacy platform, something to "wow" us. The Mag-X sketch was the best styled. Don't ruin it, just make it bigger and more powerful.

-juice
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    No doubt, having an H6 in the Forester would be a hot ticket. If Subaru wants to compete with the Tribute/Escape psychologically, they would need this option. The big question is if they can compete with the Tribute/Escape on price with an H6. That will be tough.

If they do go with the H6, you can be sure the vehicle would have to be based on the Legacy platform. No way they could shoehorn that engine into the current Forester or even the updated Impreza platform. It is a tight enough fit in the Legacy! I remember reading that the H6 block was only slightly bigger than the H4, but it must have been a misleading measurement. Look under the hood, and it's apparent that the H6 takes up much more space.

Given all the excitement mini-SUVs seem to be getting now, the new Forester has the potential to be a home run of mythic proportions (H6). I am really excited to see what Subaru comes up with.

Craig
    I say make the H6 a $1000 stand-alone option. Do NOT include a MacIntosh stereo and jack the price up $3 grand. People will gawk at a $28k sticker, that would be suicide.

Here are some sample real world prices from Fitzmall:

S Premium 5 speed: $22,400
    S Premium leather 5spd: $23,600
    S Premium auto: $23,100
    S Premium auto/leather: $24,000

So, add the H6 as a stand-alone option and they would top out at $25k, which is really the very upper price limit for a small SUV.

-juice
  • simon_dedalussimon_dedalus Member Posts: 8
    Could someone please tell me what the difference is between the basic keyless entry system and the more expensive security group?

Is it worth the extra $125-175 to get it?

Thanks in advance for any help deciphering the difference.
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    Great to finally see some teaser pix....hope there's more to come! H6 would be fine for those who want it......like juice, as a stand-alone option, would be fine.....please don't jack the price too much, Forester's are already 2-4 grand more than comparable CR-V's in our market. Size doesn't need to grow too much....all Subie's could do with a wheelbase stretch, as Impreza's and Foresters are over 3.5" less that Civic's and CR-V's and the Legacy is over 2.5" less than the Accord. This would make the back seats much more competitive. Can't wait 'til the Toronto Auto show to see it in person.
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    The Bass version is the WRX-influenced version: Turbo Version. The SUV version is the Baja-influenced version (including the same five-spoke alloy wheels). These are the parameters within which the new Forester will be fitted. The actually vehicle will run down the middle. If you look at the drawings and take out the speed-cues of the Bass and the Baja-cues of the SUV, you see the current body style tweeked for more room inside. Plus, maybe, a grill-tweek to let everyone know this is the newest thing. I think that over all, the car will have a blunter, thicker looking snout -- that seems to be the way the Japanese Legacy has gone.

PS: I also notice that the Mag-x drawing, the Sporty drawing (FKA Bass)and the SUV drawing are all from slightly different perspectives, so the Mag-x would appear have the longest hood, but it is from the perspective that would make it appear the longest. The Sporty drawing is in the middle. The SUV drawing is from the lowest perpective, making the ground clearance more obvious (and appear higher) and the hood appear the shortest.
  • pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    The basic keyless entry option (standard on S, I think) does not have vehicle security i.e there are no car alarms (although it should have a panic alarm). The upgrade to the security group will give you a car alarm, that gets activated anytime there is a break in from the hood, windows, doors or rear hatch. In case of such a break in, the engine is also disconnected (according to what my dealer told me).

Having a security system in you car will allow you to get some insurance rebate -- and maybe a peace of mind otherwise it depending on where you park your car overnight, at work etc. We have to park our car overnight in the open parking lot of our apt. and during the day in a parking lot downtown. So we felt that it was a worhtwhile investment.

Hope this helps.
    That's right, Subies can be pricey in Canada.

I'm telling you, make the H6 a $1000 stand-along option.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm betting the problem is that there is a limited supply of H6 engines coupled with the CAFE #s is why the H6 engine is in such short supply. Why else would they not slap the H6 engine as an option across the whole legacy line?

-mike
    building another plant just to produce engines right here is the USA? I swear I read that somewhere. If that's true, then the "supply issue" of H-6s will become a non-event.

Bob
    The CAFE #s will still plague them.

-mike
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    And from what I read, the plant will make H4s, not H6s. I think it was on the SIA website that I saw this mentioned. Anybody have a link?

Craig
    Originally I think it was H4s, but the press release everyone is quoting is from pre-H6 debut, so it may very well be setup to make H6 engines.

-mike
  • pam29pam29 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone tell me if they have experienced any noises when applying the brakes after going from reverse to drive. it is a clacking sound. can not tell if it is coming from the front or rear, kinda sounds in between. but it only happens when
    I put it into gear for the first time and not again until I have stopped it has sat I start it and again out it into gear. it is not the transmission it happens when I apply the brakes, but only on the first initial stop fine after that.
    does not matter if it is cold or hot. But always after I get out go into some where came out start it put it in gear apply the brakes. It is not brake dust. they tightened a bolt on the brakes.
    still does it. has 6700 miles on it .

Thanks
    I heard way back in March, 2000 when they released the "face-lift" for 2001MY, (mine's a 2001 S+ I purchased after seeing it at a show) that the new H-6 would definately fit the Forester, from someone in the know. We can safely assume that it will fit the new version as well.
    CAFE is a concern, but the H6 is 20/27 while the H4 auto is 22/27 per the EPA, really only a tiny difference.

Though they are borderline now, right at the 27.5 fleet average limit. What can they do?

I think they should consider putting the JDM 2.0l 156hp engine in the Legacy L and Impreza TS wagon to offset the H6. It's a very efficient engine, and only gives up 9hp (more torque though).

Either that or offer a Phase III 2.5l with VVT and more efficiencies, for maybe 23/28mpg EPA on all the models that use the 2.5l engine now.

Pam: I've only heard of that problem with the H6 models. I'd have the dealer look at it. They had a shim kit that fixed it.

-juice
  • illinoiscentraillinoiscentra Member Posts: 67
    An H6 turbo Forester would be a riot. What a great midlife crisis car. Just add a few more inches in the back please.

How about a AWD H6 sedan with the room of a 2002 Camry? Or an AWD minivan (thats reliable)?

This car is really growing on me - the cabin has headroom like my old F150, I can take corners fast, carry large boxes in the back, and get decent gas mileage. Now I need snow, coming tomorrow to Chicago....
This discussion has been closed.