Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• neriskineriski Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the help, I'll let you know how I make out. I'm going to replace the gasket this weekend. I still haven't been able to find out how much transmission fluid I need. Will the autoparts store know that or do you know where I can find it?

Any other thoughts on why I might be leaking fluid?

I spent a good 45 min. looking around. The entire bottom of the transmission pan was wet as well as the gasket all the way around but nothing above the gasket had fluid on it. The only other spot was the plate that covers a wire connection on the corner of that pan was covered.
  • nnealnneal Member Posts: 72
    Not sure about the auto parts store knowing as they vary widely. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask. Sometimes one of their more experienced employees might know where to find it, especially if they want to sell you tranny fluid. They might even have one of the lower cost service manuals. I don't know how much the newer vehicle owners manuals have been dumbed down, but the earlier ones used to show fluid/oil capacities in the back. First thing would be to find and make sure of the model transmission you have. Then, you could ask the dealer service department (good luck), and if that falls through, Google the transmission model number for any info you can find on the web. Many times I've seen transmission manuals listed. In the end, what's going to matter is what's shown on the dipstick, so getting more than you need is not a problem.

Myself, If I feel I'm going to keep a vehicle for a fair amount of time, I always invest in the factory service manual. No, they're not cheap, but you can rely on them for accurate information. In my view, they pay for themselves.

As for the leak, is it possible to be coming from above, only to be blown on the pan by airflow? Only other "common" source of a leak I can think of would be cooling lines. Another possibility is the fluid could be from something else other than transmission fluid. Transmission pans usually don't contain a fluid level higher that the top of the pan (gasket area). If the gasket has an open spot, it's probably the fluid sloshing around and spilling out. Clean the pan best you can, then observe it after driving a little. Good luck.
  • xelvis66xxelvis66x Member Posts: 77
    I have the Ground diagram and alot of things are tied together like the power windows, they are on the same ground as the VSS, but I didn't see the TPS in this. I checked the ground associated with this components, and they are like new. So I pulled the cover off of the harness from the sensors on the Intake to the PCM. By the head they or soaked in oil, and the rest look good, my next step is to trece wires and check the splices. Any other suggestions.
    Auto parts stores have the capacities and the fluid that vehicle needs every time I ask. I would check all the cooler lines first that easier that dropping the pan. If they are not wet though they probely are not leaking. Also is the connection on the pan or the case of the transmission, make sure that don't leak. Good luck!
    Just curious, if you unplug the TPS, does it affect the engine at all? I'm wondering if it's still "in the loop", or if the PCM is in default mode somehow. Another thought, if you don't see a ground wire/strap from the engine to the frame/body, why not ground them together to see what happens? I'm probably repeating what you've already tried, but can't think of anything more at this time than what you're already doing. Keep plugging away!
    Yes when you unplug it it idles high, and the throttle response is slow. Also the guy I got the ground diagram off of said that PCM's have bolts going through the fire wall and that's how they ground. You think I should run a wire from the head over to the fire wall. I'll try that maybe there's a ground I missed and is corroded.
    Yeah, I think that'd be a good idea just to rule it out, even if you don't leave it that way.
  • loosenutloosenut Member Posts: 165
    lately,with all the hi milage junk i can afford to drive,ive come acrost-"prestone trans stop leak"..used it in my jeep,where i found a trans funnel under th hood-like it was used often..one quart,and havent had to add any more for over nearing two years now..
    -found the prestone stop leak with a old ford aerostar,with a worn out steering rack-a common problem-,..it used a quart in two months-mostly winter,and after two bottles,it still doesn't use any more !..
    --lots of folks harsh all that goop,but i'd sooner pay 5 bucks for a stop leak-usually name brand name,then have to rebuild the seals in a tranz..ya just gotta try,and see what works! :sick:
    I found a ground on the diagram that's on the coil bracket. I took the stud and nut out and they were rusted up, and the threads were corroded, along with the connectors on the grounds. I replaced everything but nothing changed. I pulled the head off last night, i'm getting everything checked and the oil leak fixed this time, the oil killed one starter and I cleaned the other and got it to work. Maybe the tranny will shift right when I put it back together.
    Ok well I parked my jeep friday afternoon and on sunday when I went to change the gasket I expected to see a huge puddle as I have the last several mornings but there wan only a small one.
    I started it and put it in drive for a minunte and after that it started leaking pretty good ( a drop every 10 seconds or so)
    Went ahead and changed the gasket but it keeps leaking in the same spot, at the gasket in the corner by the electrical connection. There were no burrs or dents and I cleaned both faces well.
    When I called the dealership and told them my problem right away he asked if it was by the electrical connection but then wouldn't tell me anymore and said I'd have to bring it in.

Any thoughts???

This is a lease and I only have it for two more months and really dont want to take it somewhere and pay acouple hundred dollars to get it fixed.

Thanks for all the help
    Is the connection wet and if it is see if it's loose or you can take it off. There is probely a gasket on the connector. When it's running look at the connector and see if it's running out around it.Good luck!
    While you didn't mention what transmission your Jeep has, I did find this note on a pan gasket leak from the electrical connector for a 2005 Jeep at link title.
    I feel like a dummy now. After an hour or so of research on the computer yesterday I found a service bulliten about the o-rings on the electrical connector!

I crawled back under the car and sure enough that was where the leak was actually coming from. It was almost impossible the see up there so I never noticed it.

You have to buy a whole new connector bushing not just the o-rings but it was only $18 and bout half an hour of work to switch it out. I wish I found this earlier and saved myself and you al ot of trouble.

Thanks again
  • rwengrrwengr Member Posts: 177
    Some things to think about I have learned. Some I read. Some are my own. You may have already done some and maybe none of them apply.

1. Clean metal surface with lacquer thinner (test on painted surfaces first)
    2. Thoroughly clean threads of fasteners with solvent then wire brush. Clean holes throroughly.
    3. High quality Felpro gasket
    4. Judicious use of RTV sealant and let it cure 24 hours. Follow instructions provided with sealant. Do everything the sealant instructions recommend..
    5. If a bolt hole may have access to fluid chamber, try thread sealant on the bolt
    6. If gasket is moving around as you install it, try gasket adhesive to hold it in place
    7. If bolt hole is leaking get a thin rubber washer and coat it with RTV (believe it or not I found some washers at Lowe's)
    8. Over torque the problem bolt or nearby bolts 10-20% and use thread lock. They make different strenghts. Do not use the strongest or you may have trouble getting it off.

Depending on your situation, some of the above may involve risk, but you are at a point where std procedure is is not successful.
    No trouble at all. That's what we're here for. Usually all we need is a nudge or reminder to jog our minds.

I'm surprised the dealership wasn't more helpful to you. That's another reason these forums are so handy. I can't count the number of times they've helped me out.
  • cecarter3cecarter3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 grand Cherokee V8 2 x 4. I am having an issue with the transmission, after the car has sat for a long time overnight and I started to place it in reverse the transmission slips and it takes a while for it to synchronize. I had service today at a authorized Jeep dealer and he said they could find nothing in that all I'd need to do is sat and let it warm up a minute before a court in reverse. Doesn't sound right to me sounds like there has to be some problem either with a pressure valve or draining the fluid within the transmission that is causing this slippage when the vehicle is cold once it has been driven it does not react this way until it sits all afternoon are overnight. you may have on what might be causing this as the Jeep dealer said they could find nothing wrong.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    on my jeep i start the engine then hook my seat belt then put it in gear when cold took care of my isue now have 212000 miles with no trans problums
    What model is your transmission? Is your "check engine" light on...do you have any trouble codes?
  • loosenutloosenut Member Posts: 165
    -sounds like a common problem with a lot of auto transmissions-not just jeeps,,
    --when i sold used cars,they called it "morning sickness",as it usually only happened when you'r trying to go ta work..more often than not,the trans filter is starting to plug up..when the fluid's cold-it's thicker,and harder to pass through a gummed up filter..
    --my sugestion?have it "power-flushed"whitch changes ALL th fluid-even what's in th torque converter(that doesn't happen when you pull the pan,and change th filter)..
    --backflushing also cleans th filter..for the 125 my local aamco quoted me,with syntetic-didn't sound TOO bad..ya change the oil regular,but expect trans fluid to last as long as th car?..kinda goes for th rest of th lubricants -down to th axle grease..
    --when owning a car,you can make payments,or make repairs,but usually when the payments stop they "planned obsolesence" parts like duel pumps,water pumps,etc-in a attempt to get you-the consumer-out from under th hood-and into th showroom..

--while taking my just recently aquired-98 laredowith a noisy rear axle,had a salesman tell me"you need a new jeep",and got kinda pissy when i came back with -"i don't need a new jeep-as bad as you need to sell one !"
    just another way to milk every nickel they can outta you..,and those salesmen will never know the satisfaction of making a broken thing work again-just because of YOUR talents..i get a lot of satisfaction from that..i can't always fix it all,but i still have some talents.. :shades:
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I've been scared off from power flushing; seems to be too many failures associated with power flushing (especially from external machines).

Hard to say whether the tranny was going to give up the ghost anyway, but why stir up all the gunk? I don't even trust the flush where you let your engine do the pumping. Please let us know how it goes, Cecarter3, if you go this route.

amigo_john, "Isuzu Trooper" #8070, 30 Jun 2003 6:46 am
  • bigdog66bigdog66 Member Posts: 1
    All,
    I have read of this problem in other posts but did not see any threads with the answer, I am hoping someone knows what the malfunction and fix maybe. I bought my wife a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4 in 11/08, the vehicle had 27,000 mile on it and was still under warranty, now prior to going out of warranty about 8 months later she was driving her vehicle to work when she said the "Check Engine" symbol lit up plus some other dash symbols the engine was still running but she was getting no power to the transmission she pulled the vehicle to the side of the road, shut the engine off waited a few seconds - started the engine and everything was back to normal. When she came home that night and told me of the incident I checked the vehicle out and also took it to the local Dodge Boys to have them run a diagnostic - according to the shop there were no problems. Now the vehicle is out of warranty and this same issue has happened to my wife several times and I could not get the vehicle to repeat this issue nor could the local Dodge Boys. I had read some posts that there could be programming issues with the TCM or PCM and to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes and let the system reboot - I did this and had no issues for about another 6 months - in the past month this has happened to my wife twice and the other day it finally happened to me - luckily I was less than 100 feet away from Auto Zone and was able to have them run a diagnostic which came up as U0404 and said something about bad data from the transmission. If anyone can be of assistance please let me know unfortunately like a lot of Americans I find myself economically in a bad situation and cannot afford to trade this vehicle in.
  • cecarter3cecarter3 Member Posts: 2
    I have had some problems with the check engine light. Thanks I will check that out. :)
    That could be a sensor on the tranny that's not giving the right signal, or like you said about the TCM it might not be reading the data right.

You should see if you can have a mechanic hook a snap-on scanner to it, like my brother's, because it does a troubleshooter on that code and give you some ideas on where to start. You could also check the sensors connections if they are corroded or damaged, but I would look into the troubleshooter first it helps alot.
    I have serviced my own trans fluid several times. I concur with cecarter3. He's right. You need to do a flush if you want to completely swap out the fluid.

Ask if there's suppose to be a magnet in the bottom of the pan and if not, is it OK to add one. It collects any small metal particles that are created. I've seen magnets with a lot of grit on them.

If you have to prioritze your budget, get the trans filter swapped out first.

The dealer will be your most expensive choice, but they will actually do the work. Anybody else, ask for the old filter and when you go home, verify it came from your car.

If that doesn't fix your problem, I suspect that the transmission and engine are not interacting properly when the engine is cold.
  • adgroganadgrogan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L, 2x4. The transmission has been slipping. The code came up 0740 pointing to the torque converter. I replaced the Pressure transducer, Pressure solenoid in the governor, fluid, new filter and I drove it for a few days. The slipping seemed to be gone. Then the transmission icon on the dash came on. This was the first time it came on, with the prior slipping it did not. The same code 0740 came up again (AutoZone).
    I drove the vehicle on the freeway for about 35 minutes. At my next stop, I had no reverse and there was smoke coming out of the transmission stick tube. Since that time I have continued to drive it to work about 10 minutes away. I never go over 35 mph. I hear this rubbing, whining sound about seven minutes into the drive.
    Now here’s the kicker. Yesterday, reverse started working again. if the torque is damaged, should reverse gear be going in and out? and if it is NOT damaged, what sensors or valves or electrical parts need to be replaced? Or is it now time to drop the dreaded transmission? Sorry for so much detail. Thank you in advance.
    A damaged torque converter shouldn't affect reverse but the whole tranny. I would think If the torque converter was damaged that it wouldn't move. On my jeep there is something I think is a sensor, i'll look, it's on the bellhousing. I'm not sure if a vavle engages reverse or a solenoid, my guess would be a solenoid to engage reverse, but i'm not sure i'll see what I find. Also is the tranny getting really hot maybe it's not getting fuild at the right spot, if that's the case something could be burning up. Have you had it to any transmission specilists yet, that would help. And what model is it that will tell you a lot.
    I serviced my 97 jeep transmission last summer and I swear I had enough fluid in it, but my mechanic said it was low. Added fluid and problems went away.

It would be interesting to know how the transmission cooler is suppose to work and if it is OK. Is it under pressure like your cooling system and how can you measure it?

As a precaution you might want to verify that the filter is keyed by shape or bolt pattern. There's not enough space here for all my mistakes.
    Does anyone know why code 26, Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Drift, for the tranny would be coming up?
  • mommymonkeymommymonkey Member Posts: 1
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 6 cyl. When I make a left turn, the transmission seems to slip for a few seconds then catches and goes into gear. Only happens on left turns. Took to transmission place and they found nothing. Transmission levels are fine
    I think that could be somthing to do with the rear differention slipping in the turn when all the weight is on the right, because that makes no sense why the tranny would only slip on left turns. It's a thougt!
    I found this article link title on the 42RE Governor Pressure Solenoid and Sensor. Thought it might give you some ideas. I can see your main problem is seeing if the trouble is coming from inside or outside your transmission. Good luck!
  • boazbezboazbez Member Posts: 14
    The transmission slipping on a left turn is a classic sign of a low transmission fluid on the 42RE transmission used on the '95-'98 Jeeps. That happened to me and adding fluid solved the problem.

Have someone recheck the fluid levels (maybe someone else as it could be a not-very-ethical transmission shop) under the conditions specified in the manual. For the 42RE it is with the oil hot, the engine running, and the transmission put in Neutral. But it could be different for your car. The shop I took it to wasn't going to put it in Neutral until I pointed out that that was what was written in the manual. No malice on their part, they're just used to checking it with the transmission in Park.
  • luperinglupering Member Posts: 9
    I have a 2006 JGC Laredo V8:

Seems like the jeep is in a "limp mode". In order to get it to move it you have to rev the engine in order for reverse or the jump into 3rd gear to catch. Had Pep Boys check it out. They said it could possibly be the solenoid. Anyone have any idea's? There are some codes they issued with the OBDII check. I'll post them when I can find them.
    My 95 4.0 with the 42RE transmission seems like it's in limp mode but we don't think it is. I'm getting a code for the governor pressure sensor in the tranny. I think when I replaced the head gasket and moved the wires it caused this, because before it shifted fine. I also think the sensor or solenoid may have just went bad.

When I pull out it starts in 1st somtimes and most of the time 2nd. And aome times I have to rev it higher then it slams into gear and takes off.:confuse:

Go here and it will tell about the solenoid and sensor. This is for the 42RE transmission. http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=442673">link title
    Here are the OBD II codes that came back for my Jeep transmission problem:

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
    P0731 Gear 1 Incorrect ratio
    P0732 Gear 2 Incorrect ratio
    P0871 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "C" Circuit Range/Performance
    P0876 Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "D" Circuit Range/Performance

Problem:

Shifter will move from Park to reverse, driver, etc... however it will not engage to reverse, drive, etc without gasing to near redline rpm.

Suggestions/idea's?
    After you are moving does the transmission feel strong or does it slip alot. How's the fluild and level look, and how many miles, or have you changed the filter and fluid.
    When the trans does catch it jumps to 3rd gear and stays there until I come to a stop. When I come to a stop, it's the same thing all over again where I have to gas it to catch 3rd. There is no other shifting.

Also the MIL light goes on when this does happen. I've reset the MIL by disconnecting the battery. After resetting, turning the car on, the display does not illuminate the MIL. Only after I trying to drive does the MIL show up.

Had the car idle for about 15 to 20 mins before checking the trans fluid level. The color looks good. It's bright red/pink tint. And the level is at a good level when hot. The jeep has 33,500 miles. Have had the jeep for a little over a year (14 months).
  • jeepguy1966jeepguy1966 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 jgc 4.0 4x2 the reverse doesn't work now, could it be the control box for the shifter or would it be only the tranny needs to be replaced.
    My brother a mechanic told me you should drive the vehicle till operating temp, and with my jeep they say to have it in neutral. I was told if pink tint that could mean water in the system, but check to see if that is what the brand should look like.

Also what type of transmission is in your jeep.
    Trans type I think is a 545RFE - Quadra Trac II 4x4 system

From reading around, about the trouble codes, it seems the likely culprit is a bad solenoid and/or shifting sensors. I'm just trying to rule out a complete overhaul of the tranny.

What do you think here?
    At 33,500 miles, I wouldn't say it's a bad transmission. Solenoids are one of the weakest links in it. My AW4 transmission had two problems with it over a span of two years, and both were due to bad solenoids. One solenoid that came included in a kit of three, went bad within a month after I installed it.

Pull the pan and do an ohm's test on each solenoid. They are very fussy and don't have to be off by much to be bad. On my AW4 the test range was 11 to 15 ohms. The bad one tested out at 15.16 ohms! Also, if you buy any, scour the web for them, as the dealers want an exorbitant price. I bought my kit of three for less than the price of one at the Chrysler dealer.

Googleing one of your codes, I came across this page link title and found it interesting. Good luck!
    I would get the specs for the sensors and soleniods and check if they a faulty. Then go from there. Good luck
  • h20s8h20s8 Member Posts: 2
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, Clunks real loud when shifting to reverse, winds up in drive, this is upon startup when cold, seems to lesson as it warms up,
    fluid is clean and up, does not smell burnt?? could this be a sensor? :confuse:
    If it's electronic I would think maybe a soleniod engaging would cause the clunk, but i'm not sure :confuse: How many miles are on it and what model of transmission? And have you changed the fluild and filter since you have had it?

My mothers car wouldn't move one day, because the fluid was never changed. We changed it with some lucas, and it stated moving and ever since has smashed into second???
  • stelmt81stelmt81 Member Posts: 1
    I just had my 1996 jeep grand Cherokee laredo tranny rebuilt and I was told that the shifting problem was causing by an oring groove that was machined wrong and that the wrong size oring was used in this groove. It was written in the rebuild manual .
  • cole15cole15 Member Posts: 8
    Im having transmission problem. will not shift into gears. 2nd & 3rd the rpm goes to 3000 and the car will only go 25mph no more without the rpm going up what could be the problem? is this going to be a costly thing? im reading that there is a lot of jeeps with same problem. why is there no recall for this, does anyone know? please help me?
    What transmission do you have? Is the fluid level where it's supposed to be? Have you checked for "trouble codes"? One of the first things I would check is the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). Mine had the same symptoms where I thought the tranny was shot, and it turned out to be the electrical plug that plugs into the TPS. The plug gave the same symptoms as a faulty TPS because it disconnected it from the rest of the vehicle. I think my case was rare, but in yours I would start with the TPS itself.

Other things to check are the Kickdown cable adjustment and Speed sensor.
    My 97 jeep grand cherokee shop manual lists these external components. They appear to be accessible without pulling the trans.

1. Governor pressure solenoid valve
    2. Governor pressure sensor
    3. Transmission fluid temperature thermistor
    4. Transmission speed sensor
    5. Throttle position sensor.

Check fluid level HOT!. If fluid is low many different symptoms are possible. A Chrysler shop manual would be very helpful.

One more thing. If you've never changed the filter, do that and put some fresh fluid in it. See the Haynes manual.
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    again have you changed your trans oil? the jeep manual tells you to change oil in trans t 30000 miles most people dont do that and get 100000 miles on the trans and then wonder why there trans dosent work any more

change the oil USE THE OIL THAT YOUR TRANS CALLS FOR non other as will create problems change filters see if fixes problem
  • cole15cole15 Member Posts: 8
    my jeep has a v8 transmission. how do you check for trouble codes? you said something about electrical plug that plugs into the tbs, could this have come unplug when i had a oil change done? because my car started acting up right after the oil change, the other thing is my friend added transmission fluid a few weeks ago he said he put in the transmission fluid type that it calls for on my dipstick,but someone eles said that you should not go by that because its wrong and said to use atf+4 fluid do you know anything about this? please get back to me if possible i really don't know what to do? you gave me some good advice and im really greatful for that i'm going to write them down for the mechanic to check. is there anything i can do on my own before going to the mechanic, please let me know thank you for your help!