Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems

Comments

• nnealnneal Member Posts: 72
    This is from the wjjeeps website on code P0700:

"This code indicates that the EATX (Transmission controller) has an active fault and has illuminated the MIL via a BUS message. The specific fault must be acquired from the EATX via a DRBIII tool. (Input or Output Speed Sensor failures often cause this code and are a common failure part on WJ Grand Cherokees)."

Mainly it means the transmission control module has sensed a bad part hence setting a trouble code. Normally the dealer would read the TCM to learn more about what codes it picked up.
  • 95grand95grand Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone

I have got a 95 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 awd. I am having trouble with my transmission releasing when i am coming to a stop. sometimes i have to kick it into neutral to get it to disengage. Then when i go from a stopped position it doesn't want automatically engage. I have to punch the gas to get it to move. The transmission will also sometime disengage when stopped. Any thoughts would be great Thank you
    Once it's locked and you move it to 1st gear, does it release and take off? I had a similar problem on my 98 Cherokee. Apparently when coming to a stop it wouldn't release from second gear and felt like it was "froze up". In my case it turned out to be a bad solenoid valve in the tranny. Would be worth checking the speed sensors too. Beware of dealers or transmission shops as my experience with these resulted in being told I needed a rebuild. I'm still driving that non-rebuilt transmission today.
  • 2002jeeplaredo2002jeeplaredo Member Posts: 3
    Hello!
    Thank you for the reply.
    The cause was the filter in the transmission. It was loose after being replaced at a different shop. The dealers did a transmission flush and replaced the filter and the seal. The first shop used a after market filter which didn't fit right.
  • jeepboy01jeepboy01 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2011
    Hi all, I have a 96 grand cherokee with the 4.0l. The problem is when you take off it seems to launch in second and i was going probably 5 mph when i saw a car crawling up on me, i gunned it and it stayed in second. Can anyone help? I don't want to take the tranny apart to get to the shift selenoids if that isn't even the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • jmgarland77jmgarland77 Member Posts: 2
    i have 2000 GC which is same tranny and dif Trans Control module. I believe I'm having the same problem. stalls if i stop sharply. i think it's either the torque converter staying locked. Please post if you find out anything about this problem and I will do the same
  • mikeyp53mikeyp53 Member Posts: 55
    The 2012 with the 3.6 liter V6 does the same thing! LOL I have test driven 3 different cars at 2 dealers and they all hung up in 1st gear and then after about 20 seconds, slid into second. This was under modest throttle pressure pulling away from a light with the salesman in the car. He said that was normal. What??? I kept my 2004 Grand Cherokee. I am not paying $30K for this performance.
  • cpalmer2cpalmer2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a JGC 2004 Limited Edition and lately when i go down the highway and hit a bump or dip like when you go over a bridge my tranny slips for a couple seconds??? it seems to be getting worse, anyone have any ideas???
    thank you
  • jeepbaby1jeepbaby1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 Grand Cherokee with the 3.7 litre engine. The vehicle has 32k and has been running fine up until a month ago. About once a week the transmission will not shift out of second gear upon a normal acceleration. It appears to happen more frequently when the first is "cold" rather than after driving a while. If you stop the vehicle and resume driving again the transmission will shifting normally. Can anyone help?
  • brtheviobrthevio Member Posts: 2
    I have a 97 jeep grand cherokee that is doing the same thing, only mine does it from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. No limp mode, no codes, no check engine light. Have driven it at interstate speeds with the problem. Did a filter change, and a tranny flush. Changed the vehicle speed sensor, also changed the $140 pressure sensor in the pan. Still same problem. No shift until 3500 out of first or second. After that it runs great. Doesn't matter if the vehicle is stone cold or after 100 miles of driving 75. I have no clue what it could be, the dealership looks at me like they are second graders doing astrophysics. I am at a loss, I guess my next step is to take it to a tranny shop. I am sick of messing with it.
  • rmanni01rmanni01 Member Posts: 2
    2001 Jeep GC, 133K miles. Daughter driving it, stopped at a red light, put into park. Tried to put back in drive, would not go past neutral. Put it back into park and turned it off. Would not start after that. Acted like it was not into park/gear (not even trying to turn over). Tranny shop say it needs ripped apart and rebuilt ($1800-2400 guesstimate). Anybody had similar issues? Thoughts comments welcome. Thanks!
  • boazbezboazbez Member Posts: 14
    You may also want to check the Throttle Position Sensor. Not only does the tranny computer take inputs from the speed sensor and pressure sensor, but also from the throttle position sensor. If it thinks you're pushing the pedal down more than you are it will wait before shifting down so as to give you more power.

When you switched out the pressure sensor did you also switch out the solenoid governor? They are on the same body. The solenoid is one of the the outputs from the tranny computer and puts its signals into action.
  • rmanni01rmanni01 Member Posts: 2
    2001 Jeep GC, 133K miles. Daughter driving it, stopped at a red light, put into park. Tried to put back in drive, would not go past neutral. Put it back into park and turned it off. Would not start after that. Acted like it was not into park/gear (not even trying to turn over). Tranny shop say it needs ripped apart and rebuilt ($1800-2400 guesstimate). Anybody had similar issues? Thoughts comments welcome. Thanks!
  • doni1erdoni1er Member Posts: 1
    Hey buddy, sorry replying so late just seen the post. I had an 05 jeep limited hemi as well, with the same bang noise when i would shift from nuetral to reverse or drive. I was told all types of nonsense like replacing sensors and even transmission rebuild. Thankfully i went to an experienced mechanic and turns out it was a simple BUSHING that was worn out. It was located towards the front left of the bottom of the car. Tell this to a trust worthy mechanic and he will find it. Good luck
  • schandler1schandler1 Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: :mad: I seem to have the same problem or at least similar. When I am in what would be 1st gear and under 15-20 miles per hour, my tranny grabs likes it's trying to slip or something. I've had it into the Jeep shop several times and they say they can't find anything wrong. They performed an update on it that they thought would help and all it did was lower my fuel mileage. I'm not sure what to do at this point and I don't know where to turn for answers. I'm sure they think because I'm a girl, I have no idea what I'm talking about and I'm simply wasting their time. I'm no mechanic, but I know when a car shouldn't do what it's doing! I'm not crazy...... Am I???

HELP!!!!!!! I love my car, but when it does this "regularly", I'm afraid one day I'll be sitting along side the road with a blown tranny.
  • rwengrrwengr Member Posts: 177
    edited January 2012
    Because repairs at the dealer are so expensive I have lost touch with that environment. They did not find a problem with the transmission because there probably isn't any. The transmission must interract with other engine controls. My guess is that one of these controls is off and is affecting the transmission. My Jeep is a 97 which was before they began using a computer in the transmission so I can't be specific.

If I was in your situation I would not go to the dealer any more. Retain the documentation of your previous visits. Do not go to a transmission shop right away. Find a good general mechanic. Look for a private shop. Take your car and ask them to make sure something else is not causing the problem. Ask them to make sure transmission cooler lines are not leaking 1 drop of oil. They should be bone dry.

If they say it is the transmission, ask them to refer a transmission shop. If not, do their repair.

If the transmission shop has to fix it, take their bill to the dealer and ask them to refund the amount to you under warranty.

Your problem could be something as simple as a loose ground wire or an electrical connector that has become contaminated with grease or oil.

Please be aware that you risk hitting another snag trying to follow my advice. It all depends on who you are dealing with.

A 2011 Jeep transmission should be flawless.

Do not take it to transmission shop right away. They may find a non-transmission problem, but ask you to do an expensive rebuild anyway.
    First, make sure something outside the transmission is causing a problem with the transmission.
  • boydscoveboydscove Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Hi, I don't know if anyone has had this happen before so here goes. I own a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with 176,000 kms. Lost the reverse and just before that when you stopped at an intersection and than tried to accelerate, the tranmission was not dropping back into first and is trying to start off in third gear. Took the vehicle to a transmission shop, had the reverse replaced and than he took a look at the shifting problem. Governor sensor was replaced twice, wiring harness has been replaced. They said it was the computer, took the vehicle to the dealer and had another computer programed and put into it. Codes still show that the governor sensor is the problem. Advised to return vehicle back to transmission shop to be fixed. Still have the same problem. Is there anything else that can be done?
  • 76577657 Member Posts: 1
    my 2005 jgc with 80K miles makes a thumping noise when automatically switching between gears. once up and running at 60 mph on the freeway with no gear changes runs fine.
  • jclerkjclerk Member Posts: 2
    Have 2002 jgc, 4.7L, in the last year or so, when engine starts up cold, it revs high, 2 to 3 grand, up and down, and slowly drops rpm down;
    if put into drive when engine revving high, then engine stalls;
    if let engine idle and warm up; then engine still revs around 1 to 2 grand at idle; but car can be driven without stall;

cleaned control valve body, no difference;
    took it to a mechanic, he checked with his alldata, says, the throttle control valve is bad; quoted $150 for part and labor;
    after new throttle control valve, no difference;

mechanics says, the tps, throttle position sensor, is also bad, another $150;
    now engine runs and idles smooth as silk; idling under one grand, no more high revving after start up, and no more stalling when put into gear;
  • sobrien1sobrien1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi my 2004 Grand Cherokee Jeep has an intermittent fault, every week or so the Transmission sticks in first gear. I have to stop and then the fault is fine. It happens maybe twice in a journey, but only happens every 4 or 5th journey. I have had the fluid and filter change. it has 70k on the clock. Any advice.
  • gcat1gcat1 Member Posts: 2
    I am SOOOO disappointed in Chrysler with this problem. This shuttering occurs at exactly 17 MPH in my 2011 GC Limited. They have rebuilt the entire valve body in the transmission, replaced the drive train control module and updated the software as well and I also have lost about 3 MPG!

I have spoken with Chrysler customer service a couple of times and they have told me that they have left my file open on this problem (supposedly that means that they are working on a fix), but nothing yet. The dealer said that they have this with all the Limited models and offered me to drive others (I really don't care if the trucks in their lot shake, rattle and roll --- I just want mine fixed) to feel it for myself and they told me that the cause is that the torque converter is engaging at that speed and this is the cause -- If this is the cause it can be fixed and I think I am being told a load of crap so that they don't have to have a recall and replace all the transmissions in this model (which is something that they have done with overseas models)

As an aside, if you change the drive control between the seats to SPORT vs AUTO, this will cause the shift pattern to change a little and it won't be as noticeable, but that damn vibration is still there ...

LET'S GO CHRYSLER, these are $35 - $50,000 vehicles that you make a ton of money on --- If you cannot afford to get this done right, have FIAT give you the money to fix this problem correctly NOW!
  • rwengrrwengr Member Posts: 177
    Make sure there are no fluid leaks. It affects the pressure. Pay special attention to transmission cooler lines. They should be bone dry.

Next, check all electrical connections between engine and transmisssion. Make sure no wiring or connectors are contaminated with oil. Sometimes the engine leaks oil and it blows back over the transmission.

If you don't find anything, then I think you have an electrical-mechanical component like a solenoid inside the transmission with an intermittent fault. Unless somebody can diagnose the problem, you will have to do a rebuild.

If your transmission has a computer, check with the dealer about any Tech Service Bulletins or firmware upgrades.

Transmission problems are the worst.

Once you fix the problem, please update the post
  • milngatemilngate Member Posts: 1
    Hi Iam having the same problem only worse it is now stuck in crawl and wont advance through the gears. have you made any progress in diagnosing the cause as where i live it is going to cost a fortune to get it to a garage that can diagnose the exact problem. the OBD codes that show up are P0700 and P1652
  • reel_policereel_police Member Posts: 1
    Try Dr. Tranny's Shudder Fixx. It is awesome. I buy it inexpensively off eBay and put it in all my vehicles. I have a 2003 Ford Windstar company van - that model of which is known for transmission torque converter issues. Dr. Tranny's has stopped the issues with my Ford and both my Jeep GC and Commander rough shifting. The company responds quickly and thoroughly to any question you have about their extensive and unique product line. Dr. Tranny is perhaps the best kept automotive secret. I learned about it from a transmission expert.
  • unsure_jeepgrlunsure_jeepgrl Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    i have a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo; 4wd; 4.0L; i don't know what kind of transmission i have. the codes that came up are: cylinder misfire detected on cylinders 4, 5, and 6; govenor pressure sensor, offset voltage too high/low;
    it explains the codes that came up and the probable causes, but i am unsure what to do first, and i don't want to blow my engine up. please help me.
  • biganth30biganth30 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem. I have a 2007 jeep grand cherokee lardeo. I have everything working fine other then it won't start and says transmission over temp. Has anyone figured out what it is or has it been fixed? Please feel free to send me a email at clebrn37@aol.com thanks.
    There is a discussion about similar symptoms on this page. Hope it helps.
  • 4everdone4everdone Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if we will be able to order the 8 speed tranny in June for the 2013 MY.
  • dclem1dclem1 Member Posts: 1
    shifts fine from 1 to 2. as it goes into 3rd it either revs engine as if in neutral or holds gear and tachs out. after a sec either way it shifts into 3rd. it does not always do this. sometime it shifts normal. changed tps, input and output sensor. are there anymore sensors besides the tcm that might cause this? or is it the tcm? any suggestions? if it is the fluid is it alright to change filter and fluid. always heard that would tear up trans if you have not changed it at specified intervals.
  • kigginskiggins Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2011 JGC Limited, in 2 months have put about 7K miles on it. I have been noticing what feels like a studder or shudder when slowly accellerating - like the transmission is slipping or something. I've cancelled a couple of appointments with the dealer - I'm sure these folks won't be able to "notice" it or feel it like I do. It seems to happen when the vehicle is slowly speeding up, or trying to maintain speed at any speed. For example, cruise control at 55, going up a gentle slope - it feels like it's misfiring. I also feel it slip when pulling away from a stop - almost feels like something sliding to the back of a pickup truck bed and hitting the tailgate. If anyone has a solution, or have had success diagnosing this - please post. At this point, I'm just waiting for the tranny to quit - then they can fix it....!
  • 4everdone4everdone Member Posts: 2
    Is this 2011 GC a v8 Hemi with the shudder?
    Yes, sorry, it is the Hemi V8 engine.
  • patterson5patterson5 Member Posts: 1
    input or output censor. about 35$ and 10 min to replace.
  • murphyslawmurphyslaw Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys i was driveing on interstate, in rain, suddenly the cruise control went out. the light
    in the dash stays on but won't engage. At the same time my overdrive stopped working.
    Any ideas?? no blown fuze and all connections are good.
  • gerthebeargerthebear Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I had the same problem with my 95 Grand Cherokee and went through
    hell and back before I found the problem.
    First thing to do is cycle the key three times and then look at the overdrive
    light and obeserve if it flashes or not. If it does it is indicating trouble codes:
    eg: 2flashe pause 5 flashes would be code 25.
    Try that and let me know what you get.
    I borrowed computer from freind showed a code that came back to be TPS,
    with high voltage. But will try the key thing now.
    Ok tried key thing, i don't have an overdrive light.
    Or it's not working.
    Ok replaced TPS, everything is working again.
    All it took was a little water in it to short it out.
    Thanks for letting us know what fixed it.
  • christopher301christopher301 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. I am interested in buying a used 1996 Grand Cherokee however I would need to buy a transmission for the car and also a new battery. I have no car experience and was wondering if you guys could help me out with maybe some ideas on how much this is gunna cost me?
  • wskdigitalwskdigital Member Posts: 1
    Hi Christopher301, A quality used transmission for a 96 Grand Cherokee shouldn't cost more than $300-$400 plus labor. For the labor, I would go with a small-time local mechanic to save you money. Steer clear of the dealerships and larger auto-mechanic businesses. They will most likely charge way more and do unnecessary "repairs" to charge you even more.

I've owned 4 Jeep Grand Cherokees and had to change the transmission on 3 of them. So trust me when I say "I know".
  • redbaron2421redbaron2421 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem with my 2011 JGC where it feels like the Jeep has trouble going from 1st to 2nd gear. Any ideas? I've looked and am unable to find if the new Jeeps have a TPS.
  • redbaron2421redbaron2421 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same problem but mine is the V6.
    I have about 9,000 miles on mine now, and it seems less noticeable in the past few days, but I felt it again today. Have you had yours looked at yet? I have an appointment with the transmission guy on Thursday morning....I'd not holding my breath that (1) they will be able to feel the same thing I feel, and (2) have a solution.
  • drewwooddrewwood Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 jgc and i was having shifting problems. hard shifts into drive then drives fine through1st and wont shift into second and forces it self into 3rd, put a new trans in and got it all put back together tonight and its doing the same thing. can anyone help with my issue. running out of money slowly especially with the new trans and trying to figure out why my jeep isn't driving right. from park to drive it kind of jumps forward, like a big jerk. and from drive to reverse it grinds like hell. it seems like its not disengaging properly or something. we thought it was the shift cable. unhooked it and did it manually and the problem still acures. no leaks or whining noises. took it for a drive. and slipped hard from first right into third. . feed back would be greatly appreciated.
    Check out the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). When bad it can cause shifting problems.
  • gbeesjeepgbeesjeep Member Posts: 21
    My 2011 JGC Overland (V6) has the same problem. When you are slowly accelerating from a stop it shudders as it shifts from 1-2 (watch as you get to 2000rpm) The dealer has done some initial work with no solution and now think it is a drive shaft or other drive train problem other than the tranny. I also have a humming sound at highway speeds from the drive train (not a tire problem). It seems to be all the same problem. As I have said to Chrysler, I expected problems on a first year model and will live with this but I wont live with the poor service that has been provided so far in dealing with this problem and the reoccurring rattle in the rear suspension.

Side note - they sure need to fix the lousy shift pattern they have, it jumps to a higher gear way too quick in order to try and get decent mileage at the expense of poor performance. Running in sport mode helps but who is going to use that in the middle of winter conditions.

Love the look, the ride, the quality of the interior, just fix the problems fast when they come up and Chrysler would have a happy customer.

Good luck....
    I finally got my 2011 JGC Limited with Hemi into the dealer for the shuddering transmission problem. They drove it for about 3 minutes and determined that they needed to update some software. The software was supposed to address shuddering upon accelerating, or decelerating, in the 40 to 60 mph range. They were sure that this was the problem.

The made the update, and I left thinking that maybe something changed, but 1000 miles later, the problem still seems to be there. Maybe it's just in my mind and I have to get used to it. May wait a while and try to have it checked out again. At the rate I drive, I'll be through any warranty period pretty quickly.

I too experience a growling sound from the driveline at highway speeds - specifically 73/74 mph. Fades in and out, and does not appear to be road noise, but to be coming from the transmission or other drive line components.

gbeesjeep - who are your talking to at Chrysler? Is it a dealer, or someone with the company?
  • jason_tjason_t Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I was hoping somebody had a clue on my problem and can help, it's kind of urgent. Today when cleaning my 2002 jeep grand cherokee, it started up and was running fine. Even was driveable. While the jeep was on and running, I had put the shifter in neutral so I could clean in that area. After that I left car in neutral and tried putting the other shifter from 4 wheel all time drive to neutral and it was fine. I then tried to put the shifter from neutral to 4-low and when i did that, the car made a grinding noise and jerked. Even after that happened though, the jeep stayed on and was running fine. After I turned it off and tried to restart, i won't start. I can turn the key to on position and hear radio and everything is fine there so it's not a battery issue but the jeep wont even turn and try to start.

Now, I am able to push the car like it's in neutral even though I have it in park and on 4 wheel all time. When I try to move the main shifter from reverse to neutral, to drive, to 2nd, it moves fine. But when I try to go all the way to the number 1 on the main shifter, it wont budge. No matter where I put either shifter, the car will not start. I have no clue what I have done to the jeep and hoping for an answer.

Please!!!! someone help!!!!!
  • gbeesjeepgbeesjeep Member Posts: 21
    I sent an email to the CEO of Chrysler Canada (his 2 assistants) last month about my frustration and disappointment with the level of service being provided and things started to get moving. I have this guy from Chrysler monitoring the problem. I would recommend you do the same in order to get these guys off their [non-permissible content removed] otherwise you are going to have this dragged on forever.

They tried the same software change, did NOTHING. The dealer wants to start changing out parts one at a time, I said I am not going to make repeated trips to do this (I have been there 3 times already just for the vibration problem). They said they can't offer a free rental car. I have a contact at Chrysler Corporate with an open file on this. I have contacted them about leaving my Jeep with the dealer until they get this fixed and I want a free rental while it is done. Paid over $50K for this thing I am sure as hell not going to let them treat me like another number. Chrysler is making a huge mistake jerking around the JGC owners. They have brought out a totally redesigned product that has huge sales but they are not providing the level of support that owners deserve. Like me, anyone that bought the 2011-2012 JGC are taking a big chance because any first year vehicle is going to have growing pains. I can accept that but do not accept the poor customer service.

Good luck.