Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Cherokee, Grand Cherokee Cruise Control Problems

rambopantsrambopants Member Posts: 1
edited October 2018 in Jeep
My cruise control started acting weird awhile back, it would cut off when ever it wanted too and wouldn't even come on at all sometimes now it dosnt
work. It says in the haynes manual that it is controlled by vaccum but dosnt really help much it terms of where to inspect. So does anyone know where i should start looking?

Comments

• quadmeisterquadmeister Member Posts: 25
    I had an 89 Cherokee that did that and the problem turned out to be a wire chaffed through to the point that it was parted, but made contact every now and then, so some times it worked, sometimes it didn't until eventually it stopped working all together. The wire runs from inside the turn signal lever down through the steering column. The break/chafe was where it meets the steering column and makes a bend to run down inside the column. (it goes through a hole in the column with a sharp edge) The wire was too tight against the steel column and every time you use the turn signal it chaffed or cut a little bit each time. I managed to take the turn signal lever / cruise switch apart without destroying it and replaced the wire. I'm pretty sure I had to solder the new wire in place at the cruise switch but I can't remember if I just spliced into the old wire under the dash or replaced the whole thing (probably spliced). Gluing the turn signal lever / cruise control switch back together, while maintaining fully functioning switch movements after drying was a bit of a challenge I remember too. Good luck with that. :)
  • rhysohiorhysohio Member Posts: 2
    Cruise control worked intermittently, then stopped all together. Wires through steering column hole still look intact, and system still hold vacuum well. Cable to throttle assembly still moves freely. Any guesses from there? Control on turn signal assembly, vs. servo in engine bay? Anything else that it could be? Could it still be the wires into the steering column, even though the wire casing looks intact?
  • gabberedgabbered Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Cherokee with the same kind of intermittent cruise control problem. Did you ever figure out what was causing it?
  • bheiarbheiar Member Posts: 3
    Our 2002 Grand Cherokee cruise control just started cutting out. Switches are on the steering wheel. You can set the switch the first time when initially starting, but if you make any adjustments, it shuts off. Then it won't activate again when touching the on/off switch. Come to a complete stop and turning off the ignition, and then restarting the vehicle again, will then allow you to activate the cruise switch again. But then when you try to adjust the speed or hit the brake to temporarily inactivate the cruise, it then shuts off and you can't activate it again, until you shut the vehicle off again.

Any ideas, before I take it to a dealer for service?
  • rhysohiorhysohio Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the LATE reply.

Still haven't gotten this solved. System keeps a vacuum with no problem, throttle cable not binding, etc.

Next step is to try and replace the switch on the steering column. Haven't gotten there yet. Too many other things floating around.
  • mizermizer Member Posts: 6
    Hi guys. I too had this same problem on my 95 Cherokee Country a couple of times. The first time my Cruise control would work but didn’t quite keep up my speed I set it at. What I found was that the vacuum line that goes to the reservoir behind the front bumper had a small hole in it from chaffing right above the vacuum reservoir. I currently had a problem where it would work intermittently then soon after not at all. At the same time my Air Conditioning went out too. My AC would not work on any of the regular setting and the fan wouldn’t even blow but it would blow cold air through my Defroster with the lever in the Cold position. After double checking the vacuum line in the engine compartment I found no Vacuum leaks. The recirculation part under the dash below the glove box side was working correctly and I could here the vacuum pressure bleeding off when I would slide the temperature slider. To fix my problems this is what was changed. The AC it was the climate control module thing. The whole assembly. That fixed the AC. For the Cruise Control it turned out to be the Brake Switch. In all I spent $502.00 dollars for $131.00 in parts on a job I could have done myself if I would have known. So hopefully this will help someone else out. Good luck.
  • goldstein_jgoldstein_j Member Posts: 1
    When you say you had to change the Climate Control Module Thing, do you mean the actual unit that you turn the knobs on? Or some internal piece? Also with the brake switch, how did you change that? My 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee is doing both the same things as you mentioned.
    Yes, the whole module. The part with the selector levers for heat and AC that slide horizontal and the air blower half knob or what ever you would call it. That fixed my AC system. I am not exactly sure where the Brake switch is located. I took my Jeep to the dealer so they changed out the Brake switch but I would be willing it is not hard to change out. I would have to look through my Jeep shop manual to be sure though. Have you checked the vacuum lines in your engine compartment from the vacuum reservoir? The very first time I was having a problem with my Cruise Control I found a small hole in my vacuum line right before the reservoir where the line was rubbing on the framework. When I checked my AC I pretty much new it was that control unit after checking the vacuum that I had going to it. It is not hard to replace it is just a little time consuming. If you would like more info. You can e-mail directly if you like. Click on my name on above this post and it will give you my e-mail address and I can go in to detail of what I did to troubleshoot my problems as well as pictures of what was done. Good luck.
    Have had my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee in the shop 6-7 times in the past month and a half for cruise control problems($200 diagnostics charge) It would set a code in the computer, but as soon as you'd turn off the ignition the computer would reset with no code. When they finally did catch the code while the engine was still running, the code could not be identified (no one including tech support could trouble shoot the codes). The PCM was replaced(at no charge), but the cruise still cut out when test driven afterwards. FINALLY!!! Somebody started checking different switches and modules/relays that effect the cruise control. It was determined the the brake switch was not sending the correct signal to the PCM and/or cruise control assembly. I was told that the brake switch was replaced, and now everything seems to be working at this time. I have been driving the vehicle for about 6 days now(that's the longest I've had it out of the shop in the past month and a half. I'll keep my finger crossed.
  • 3rdjeepowner3rdjeepowner Member Posts: 6
    I have recently purchased my third jeep. Unfortunately, it did not come with cruise control. It helps a lot on long trips because of an old back injury. I understand no dealer offers this anymore, but how about an aftermarket one. Also, any effect on the computer on a 2000 jeep cherokee?
    3rdjeepowner. :confuse:
  • 3rdjeepowner3rdjeepowner Member Posts: 6
    :shades: To Steve and Tidester. I received no input on my request for info on adding on a cruise control,so I decided to research it on my own.
    I started on page one, and have been reading the many Jeep questions. I finally found an answer to a post that was made Aug 29th,'05. It seems OEM not available, and after markets unsure of effect on a Jeep computer.
    I like thank both Steve and Tidester for such a vast array of info that covers Cherokees from bumper to bumper.
    This forum has taught me so much in so short a time how to properly care and maintain my Cherokee for years to come.
    For all the regulars who contribute their knowledge on various subjects, I also would give thanks to them.
    I'm only half way through 2200 plus questions and comments, but I look forward to reading them all.
    Rog
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I look forward to reading them all.

Read it carefully - there's going to be a quiz on it! ;)

Seriously, thanks for the kind words and we're gratified that you find the Forums so helpful. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • hibtonehibtone Member Posts: 8
    I'm having this same problem. I stopped by Advance to get a brake switch, but it wasn't in their parts listing, and searching some of the online parts places hasn't turned anything up either. Does anyone know the actual name for this part?
    On my invoice that is what it was called. It's that little switch on your Brake pedal arm. Here is a link to what you're probably looking for. link">http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1386783,parttype,10474">link title
  • jmerskyjmersky Member Posts: 1
    My girlfriend's parents gave her a '96 Cherokee and she just used the cruise the first time and now she can't turn it off! When she starts the motor it revs so high she has to turn it off immediately,it sounds like the motor is running at 10,000 rpm. Is there a way to disconnect the cruise and bypass sensors and just not use the cruise? Any help is much appreciated.
  • ejljejlj Member Posts: 4
    Disconnect vacuum line on cruise actuator on left side underhood.
  • sstrallsstrall Member Posts: 2
    The cruise on my '99 Cherokee used to work great, then intermitantly, now not at all. Plus, when I switch from floor vent to defrost, it sounds as if it's not switching over all the way and nothing comes out the defrost vents. Also the horn used to work, then only when I locked the doors with the key fob, now only when I hit the panic button. Anyone know what's up?
    Read my posts in this thread Page 1. #7 & #9. Maybe they can help. I have no idea about the horn. Good luck.
  • sstrallsstrall Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Mizer!
  • jefft4jefft4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a very similar problem did you ever resolve this one?
    Cruise control only comes on for a second and then shuts off and will not respond until iginition is shut off and restarted. just started happening. what switch is involved is it the breake switch? Are there any relays envloved and were are they?
  • hibtonehibtone Member Posts: 8
    I fixed mine my replacing the brake light switch. It is located at the top of the brake pedal. http://198.208.187.182/internet/PartImage.jsp?&acpartnbr=C883
    Sorry for not responding sooner. My Jeep was in the shop for well over a month, off & on. They finally replaced the brake light switch, and it has worked fine now for several months. I'm not certain where the switch is located, but as far as I know, the only brake light switch is mounted above the brake pedal, under the dash. They also replaced the main computer, and another relay of some kind, but those did not fix the problem. I hope with as many problems with cruise controls as I have seen on this site, that maybe Chrysler techs have identified the problem up channels, and maybe a service bulletin will be issued soon.

bheiar
  • ediezelediezel Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, My 2002 Jeep climate control settings is not shifting air and got stuck blowing air to the windshield, only. Some of it seems to work as it turns the A/C on if knob is switched to the A/C position, but the controls wont shift air flow to any other direction. In addition, which could be related, the cruise control is not activating. it does turn on (cruise light) but pressing set or resume will not do anything.
    could it be a burned fuse? - thanks
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    sounds as if you have a magor vacuem leak as cruse and blend doors are run by vacuem
  • kkeegankkeegan Member Posts: 1
    WE have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with similar problems:1) the AC works but it does not blow air where the knob is selected (i.e. if vent mode is selected, no air comes through, but the AC works) 2) The cruise control does not work. In reading your messages, you indicated you might have some more detail troubleshooting. Please advise. Do you want me to write directly to your email address?
    My e-mail address is Stephen.A.Jones@fire.ca.gov
    I will try to help you out as best I can.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    you indicated you might have some more detail troubleshooting

Readers of this Forum would likely be interested in that information also.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    I'm sorry. What I posted on page one was pretty much all I have. I think what I meant was for one of the guys in this forum was he/she could call me and I would walk them through the process I used to trouble shoot my system. To help point out or explain what they are looking at. There is another possibility with the Cruise Control. It is some switch or relay that you have to remove the Steering Wheel to get to it. I am not a Jeep mechanic I just do what I can with what I have.
  • 68jerry68jerry Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem, is it the vacumn motor(hose) ? Any help would be appreciated. :confuse:
    It was a vacumn hose, not bad cost 15 25 for labor.
  • wing2894wing2894 Member Posts: 1
    Hope this helps, I had the exact same problem with my 2001 Grand Cherokee, ((fan position switch won't work (go from floor to dash to windshield, etc.)), and the cruise control won't engage. I'm told both are due to a vacuum line problem, ). I fixed mine by replacing 1/4" hose located directly under battery mounting pan. Takes a little work but might be worth it.

First remove battery. Then remove pan, you'll need a deep socket 10mm with extentions to get at one mounting nut. Remove two nuts holding cable to fuse/relay box attached to pan. Move pan out of way. The hose that's causing all the problems is about 6" long going to servo. Replaced hose ($.77) and it took care of both problems. Total job took about 1 hour. From what I have been reading this is the hose that's causing everyone problems.
  • blinddog1blinddog1 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the excellent information. The cruise control on my 2000 Grand Cherokee would not engage. I followed your instructions and found the broken vacuume line below the battery pan. I replaced the thin plastic and brittle broken line with about 1 foot of 1/4" fuel line. I did have to purchase a deep socket 10mm socket and a 10" extension. Wow - I have cruise control again!!!!
  • keliculakelicula Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the step by step on what to look for and how to fix it. I just bought my first Jeep Cherokee Sport ever! From the nicest couple, who had the same problems. They got the actual unit replaced, but this did not help the problem. Now, I can see what I might be, the hose. My question is can a person with no mechanical experience do this? I would like to try but don't want to cause further problems. Thanks in advance
  • eyedamaneyedaman Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem. First I checked the cruise cable throttle that was linked under the battery. It was intact. I changed three vacuum hoses under the battery. Before I put the battery in I followed the vacuum hoses, to the plastic line, and found an unconnected hose on the carburetor side, This hose was from the vacuum plastic line, attached to a rubber hose that was attached to the side of the engine body. I plugged that hose in and everything worked, cruise and blower. Because it was loose on the body, I replaced that hose. Total cost $2.50 worth of 1/4 inch hose. It didn't cost me anything to get the Chilton book from the library.
  • arciina007arciina007 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a JGC Limited 4x4 with 98k for $4500 with a clean carfax report, well taken care of (had papers for the last 4 years) and was a very nice ride. I noticed that the steering wheel squeeks when I turn the wheel and the cruise control doesn't work. I was wondering if it's possible for the steering wheel to squeek because of the cruise control or if it just needs to be sprayed with WD40?? I know nothing about the mechanics of cars and am a first time jeep owner, I was wondering if I got a good deal on this cherokee and how expensive it is to have a mechanic fix the cruise control? Thanks!
  • rogerbslcrogerbslc Member Posts: 1
    I had a very squeeky steering wheel after I repaired a leaky power steering hose. I added power steering fluid I purchased from the local auto part store and that is when it became very skeeky. I was told that Chrylser and Jeep power steering fluid would correct the problem. I used a turkey baster to suck out as much fluid as I could out of the power steering reservore and filled it with fluid purhased from the Jeep dealer. It corrected the problem instantly!!!
  • lazyrpeople2lazyrpeople2 Member Posts: 1
    After reading all these posts, I think I have a similar issue...But I wanted to ask anyway. My 2000 Cherokee Sport as a few issues. The Cruise Control won't hold a steady speed - it'll go + or - 10 mph over the selected speed. Also, the fan blows mostly out the defrost vents. I had it in for an A/C service because it wasn't blowing cold. They checked everything under the hood and charged the A/C a little, but were unable to get it blowing cold. They wanted to tear into the dash to check the blend door but I told them to wait due to the cost (they figured about $300 just to find out if the blend door was stuck). I found the blend door actuator under the glove box. It works fine. I removed it and spun the blend door manually. It moves freely and there seems to be sufficient vaccum pressure, at least at that point. Are there more things I can check?
    Thanks!
  • sdglasssdglass Member Posts: 1
    1994 Grand Cherokee w/4.0L, auto, ac, power windows, power locks and 4 wheel drive. I have a temperature dependent cruise control problem, as the temp. outside warms the cruise control quits working, I'm in Kansas. This event occurs roughly 50 miles after constant driving. Along with this, the vehicle will lurch forward as the cruise accelerates and deaccelerates on its own, before the 50 miles. Once the cruise has quit working the speedometer and the tach cease to work. All other gauges on the dash continue to work. This only happens during the warm months, late spring thru early fall.
  • jayr0218jayr0218 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee, out of no where my curise control stops working. I never had a problem with it til now. The switch still works fine, I dont know where to begin to look for vaccum hose. Any ideas?
  • redrider94redrider94 Member Posts: 2
    The cruise control on my peach of a 94 Jeep Cherokee Sport (144,000 original kms) stopped working a few years ago. My regular mechanic couldn't solve the problem and today, the local Jeep dealership said I needed to replace the power control module @ +$800.00. They said they checked the hoses. I use the tilt wheel feature all the time and some other hoses (vent/aircon) were recently replaced.

I've read the other blogs about hoses etc. How likely is it that this costly computer needs to be replaced?
  • redrider94redrider94 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,
    I had cruise control added after-market to my 94 Jeep Cherokee Sport at the dealership a few years after purchase. It looks just like the one in the manual. It was working perfectly until a year or so age, now I'm trying to get it repaired. A different Jeep dealership says it needs a new powertrain module control - I've left a post about that.
  • bfoltzbfoltz Member Posts: 4
    Did you replace the Plastic tube or rubber hose at the servo
  • smokey1102smokey1102 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Sport and I need cruise. any answers to install one? I broke my back a few years ago and I need to give the leg a break. Best vehicle I ever owned. no trouble at all for 90,000 now Help.
  • coles_mamacoles_mama Member Posts: 1
    I was reading through all posts about this problem and it seems to be a problem with a lot of jeeps. I have a 1995 cherokee and my cruise control has never worked and neither has the AC. Also, my heat only blows out of the defrost. Do you think that fix will work for this as well?
  • cmoss4cmoss4 Member Posts: 1
    Recently replaced original starter (not bad for 162,000 miles and 11 yrs) and the car starts great but now cruise control is out. On/off switch no longer lights the dash indicator so I am guessing electrical vs. vacuum problem. Any suggestions on easiest way to check this? Did not seem to have a dedicate fuse that i could find that was bad
    Thanks for help
  • wpatterswpatters Member Posts: 54
    The Cruise control works fine when it works but if the car goes over a pot hole or a rough spot in the road it shuts off just like I had hit the brake or something. Any ideas?
    maybe a lose vacumn hose
  • tuggajbtuggajb Member Posts: 646
    brake light switch needs adjustment
  • gmaiergmaier Member Posts: 1
    I just recently bought a 2004 Jeep grand limited and the cruise control is the only thing that won't work. The light in dash comes on but the set botton won't set the speed? Read your post, thought you might have found an answer. Can anybody please help, I have a long trip to go on soon.
  • speglowspeglow Member Posts: 2
    My cruise control no longer works. The light will not come on in the dash. I looked behind the airbag and there doesn't appear to be power to the "on-off" switch? I can not find a fuse? My airbag light is also on in the dash. Not sure if they are related?