Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    because the manual shift mode is one of the advantages to owning the Altima vs. an Accord. ;)
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    I know what you mean.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The discussion is about both of these vehicles so yes, we can talk about anything that has to do with the Altima just as we can talk about the Accord.
    Well the Accord has that "screen thing" on the dash, and it's also got VCM on the V6... of course, I'm not sure if you'd consider VCM an advantage or disadvantage.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone else know what the Accord has over the Altima? :P
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Anyone else know what the Accord has over the Altima?

Interior room, especially in the rear headroom area.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    A larger interior, better fuel economy for the V6, a sweeter sounding 4-cylinder engine, to name things I like about the Accord better than the Altima off the top of my head.

There are things I like about the Altima over the Accord, too, but as a 6'5" college student, good fuel economy and lots of room are very high on my importance list.
    I agree that the 4-cyl on the Accord EX sounded "refined" vs. the somewhat "workhorse" sound that the 4-cyl in the Altima makes. This is more than likely due to the increased torque output of the 2.5L engine vs. Honda's 2.4L. If you drive the 4-cyl Accord EX and Altima side by side, the Altima feels a little quicker and more responsive on the throttle. It has also been observed that the Altima is quieter than the Accord @ highway speeds, so I think observable sound is somewhat subjective here.

The Accord does have a larger interior. At the same time, the Altima has a larger trunk w/ 60/40 split folding rear seat. You can't fit any passengers in the Accord's back seat with it folded down.

I'm also a College Student, and after much research and painstaking comparisons, I purchased the Altima. You have to give up something no matter which car you choose, so take your pick.
    I think the Accord and Altima appeal more to different age groups. Back when I was in my 20's, I enjoyed manually shifting my muscle car (72 Chevelle). Now, at 45, with the family, I don't get wild hairs up my ### as much. As long as the car goes, when I hit the gas, that's all I want. Now, I'm more concerned about how comfortable everyone is on a long drive, than playing with paddle shifters.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I think the Accord and Altima appeal more to different age groups. Back when I was in my 20's, I enjoyed manually shifting my muscle car (72 Chevelle). Now, at 45, with the family, I don't get wild hairs up my ### as much. As long as the car goes, when I hit the gas, that's all I want. Now, I'm more concerned about how comfortable everyone is on a long drive, than playing with paddle shifters.

That may be true, I am way to young (emotionally, at least) for the old folks home Accord. It was just what was available and a deal when i was shopping, a mistake I won't make again.
    I must admit, the Altima would be VERY high on my list if I were shopping for a new car right now. I have a 2006 Accord, and like the size of it, along with the great economy, but the new design (interior, mainly) leaves a lot to be desired as far as I'm concerned.

I was just mentioning the pure advantages the 08 Accord carries over the 08 Altima, to answer a question. I think you make good points all around.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. honda knows that the typical accord buyer is getting older, and they keep the car designed to appeal to older and older buyers, same thing toyota does. Thats a lot of the reason I couldn't buy one despite thinking it was a great car. It jut make me feel old getting in it. I still smile every time I blow past a 50 year old guy going 5 mph below the speed limit trying to milk every mpg out of his accord that he can. I spend a lot of time on the road through work, and I swear I pass more accords than any other car.

That being said, can't say I blame Honda one bit. target the demographic with the most money. they have the fit, civic, and CRV for the younger crowd.

and on a separate note, Its always confused me as to why you drive a midsize family sedan grad. :P for the same or less money you could be cruising around in a civic Si. :shades:
    Yes, I think the Civic (Si) is targeted more to the 20 something crowd. Of course, there are always exceptions (grad ;) ).
    and on a separate note, Its always confused me as to why you drive a midsize family sedan grad. for the same or less money you could be cruising around in a civic Si.

It is not the same or less money. My '07 Accord EX was almost 3k less than the CIvic SI sedan w/o nav. And I am pretty sure the Civic SI needs premium. Also, the Civic SI only comes in a beautiful, well spaced, short throw close ratio 6 speed manual through a true not wussy* electronic limited slip differential (similar to the SE-R Vspec).

* Note- traction control is wussy limited slip, the electronically adjustable mechanical limited slip differentials in the WRX STI and EVO are not considered wussy.
    I love the way the '06-'07 Accords look and drive. The LED tail lamps along with the chrome exhaust are gorgeous. It's a shame they didn't pass these traits along to the new Accord. IMO it would have been a much more desirable car if they had. Unfortunately, it looks bloated and ungainly from the back in its current package. At least they made the ride good... I wish they'd addressed a few other issues though. And if I were in the market for a midsized coupe, the '08 Accord Coupe would have gotten my money.

I didn't even look at the Civic Si because it's just too small for my taste. Yes, I'm a college student and I LOVE to go fast, but I needed something more practical than a compact sports car... that's why I bought the Altima. It's the best of both worlds. :shades:
    And if I were in the market for a midsized coupe, the '08 Accord Coupe would have gotten my money.

I am glad you got the Altima then. "Personal luxury coupes" scream Monte Carlo to me and bring up visions of people beating their chests and turning left for 500 miles.
    lol! I had an '02 Solara and loved it... that's the only reason I even considered another coupe.
    This grad almost ended up in a Civic EX, but my grandmother (who is retired comfortably) decided she wanted to help out, and allow me to have a larger car, and paid the difference in a Civic EX and an Accord EX. She puts about 3,000 miles a year on her car tops, so she'll probably never buy a new one. Actually, she is who gave me my 1996 Accord that had 125k miles on it. She's never sold a car in her life, she just gives them away to relatives.

At 6 foot 5 inches tall, I'm most grateful that she put forth the extra money to move up to a midsize car. :) I may be in a grandpa car, but it sure has been nice on all my trips. I travel a good bit (my folks used to live 12 hours away, now they live 5 hours away on the Alabama gulf coast - I'm in Birmingham), and having the extra power of the 2.4L over the 1.8, as well as the extra room, while not paying much of a mileage penalty, is fantastic.

And, I sure wouldn't have a four-door; way too impractical for me. Besides, I think the 4-door is pretty good-looking (better than the 08s by a wide margin), and my best friends love taking my car when we go somewhere together (coming from a Mazda 3i, a 2003 Mitsu Eclipse GS, and an Acura 3.2 CL). Yeah, I end up driving more than they do, but that's ok. I trust my driving more than theirs (I'm the only one out of all of them who hasn't had a wreck that I caused, knock on wood).
    Imagine that... I'm from the Birmingham area too!!! However, I'm @ Jacksonville State University working on a degree in Music Education currently. I do have several friends @ UAB. You probably wouldn't know them though. It's a pretty big school.

Anyway, enjoy that Accord. It's a very nice ride.
    I was a band guy in high school, and know a couple of people at JSU as well. UAB is a GIANT school, more than most people would know. I'm working on a broadcasting degree while working for our local ABC affiliate's weather team (you know who they are) as an intern, before going to Mississippi State for a Masters in Broadcast Meteorology.

Small world, isn't it?
    It's a very small world.

Mississippi State has a great school for Broadcasting, and I hope you enjoy it there. It's a complete 180 compared to Birmingham from what I hear. I still have to decide where I'm going to get my Masters so I can start teaching. I'm not even sure what I want to get my Masters in yet. All I know is I'd like to eventually be a HS band teacher. We'll see where the wind (and my car) takes me.
    Well, MSU is the meteorology part of my job (I'll have the broadcasting part from UAB), but it is a very good school, and quite different from being in the middle of Birmingham!

I wish you the best in teaching HS Band; it's a tough job!

TheGraduate
    PGHS '05 ;)
  • wyngatorwyngator Member Posts: 29
    I want to trade in my Navigator and am looking at sedans. I took a test drive with the Altima 2.5 (looking to go from 8 cylinders to 4 for better fuel efficiency). I intend to test drive an Accord today. I love the LOOK of the Nissan, but am willing to test drive the accord because I used to own an accord and they make great cars.

My question to this group is maint. and repair? I know from previous ownership that the Accord runs like a clock. Never was it in the shop for anything major. Just oil changes and tires .... the normal stuff. I am wondering about the Altima. We have a 2001 Infiniti (basically Nissan) that has 188,000 miles and runs great. But, that vehicle was made in Japan. Now a days .... I don't know if the Nissans are really made in Japan.

All I know is my 2003 Navigator has cost my tons on $$ on maitenance. I had a warranty that took me to 75,000 miles so the repairs before then were more of a nuisance than a cost problem. But, after the 75,000 miles I have put over $5,000
    into the Lincoln and it only has 96,0000 miles. Way to much in my opinion.

So, I want my next car to be QUALITY. Any opinions on this subject?

Thanks,
    Laurie :shades:
  • wyngatorwyngator Member Posts: 29
    Okay, I gave a test drive to the Honda Accord '08 EXL. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed. My first surprise was to see only a 3 star rating on side rear impact while the '08 Civic had 5 stars in all categories.

Next disappointment was that the Navigation system did not have a back up camera like so many other new vehicles that I have taken for a test drive. Also, not even a back up audible sensor. Another surprise.

The one plus I saw was the 100,000 miles of maintenance free service. Only needs to do oil changes, air filter, and tires. That looked good, but I guess I am ruling the Accord out based on how I felt drving it. I wasn't "wow"ed.

I next went and test drove the Acura TL, but that is for a different forum.
    I do give that a thumbs up :)

Now, I am going back to the Nissan dealership to test drive the Altima again. I am refining my search ....

Laurie :shades:
    well, I'll try to answer some questions for you. first off, no, nissan doesn't import many cars from japan anymore. If I had to guess, I'd say the number of nissan imports from japan to the US is zero. most of the altima production is in the tennessee plant, with the rest being made in the mississippi plant.

maintance and repair? well, thats a tough one. I've owned three of them (still have 2) and have never had a days problem with any of them, though the altima is only a little over a year old and about 11k on it. none of my nissans have ever left me stranded, has failed to start, or been on the back of a tow truck/wrecker. 2 of the 3 nissans have NEVER been repaired for anything, and the first one never required more than 7-8 hundred in repairs in its 12yr 224k mile lifetime (still running when I got rid of it)

as for maintanence, very minimal. oil changes, tires flushes, and tune ups. all normal. But, the cvt in the new altima will cost considerably more to service (60k) than a normal auto trans would.

but, some people have had problems with nissan vehicles, and their overall quality ratings have dropped some in recent years. I would confidently buy another (and probably will in a couple years) nissan, but I would deffinitly get the extended warranty.
    I have a close friend considering both of these cars, but has opted for the Altima. She felt the Accord actually drove better between the two, but she was instantly comfortable in the Altima (2.5S with Convenience Package) and couldn't get used to the massive Accord. She is coming from a 2001 Mustang and just can't adjust to something THAT big.

She's 5'2" and very small. I won't guess how much she weighs because I've been taught better than that! :)
    That's the exact reason I chose the Altima. The Accord drives better, but the Altima is very easy to use, even on the first test drive (and it's still more fun to drive than the Accord, even though the Accord has a better ride overall.)
  • altimrsaltimrs Member Posts: 15
    Attention Nissan lovers. I about to purchase a 2008 2.5SL Altima. My mechanic loves them and my older brother likes the Accord. I fancy the Nissan. But I can purchase a Honda Accord for about two thousand dollars less. *Whistles and bells on both, but Honda has stability control and Altima 4cylinder does not. Do you really feel the Nissan is worth the extra dough? I love the car and keep my cars forever. I am also concerned that Altimas are no longer made in Japan but are made in Tennessee. I would really appreciate your input. And I don't want to have buyers remorse. I have noticed that the Altima has a smoother more luxurious ride,you sit higher up,and it's sporty. The Accord is tight and you feel the bumps more but still a beautiful machine also. Thank you all! :confuse:
    I seriously doubt you can get the Accord for $2k less than a similarly equipped Altima. However, if you can, power to you... Anyway, the Altima has CVT, manual shift mode, no torque steer, more nimble handling, and it gets its advertised fuel economy. The Accord doesn't. However, the Accord does include VSC, which is definitely a plus for safety, and it is bigger. I chose the Altima. I got a great deal on my 2.5SL. You should seriously compare OTD prices of both the Altima 2.5SL and the Accord EX-L 4-cyl. If you're not comparing the out the door prices of both cars, you have no clue what kind of deal you're getting.

The ONLY number you should be looking at is the final "Out The Door" price that includes all fees, taxes, extended warranty, etc. If money is no object, though, I think the Altima is the better car.
    Please see my message of July 5th. :surprise:
    I did get my OTD prices. EXL without Nav versus SL with Connection but no Nav. SLs with Connection are rare right now because of the July 1st law barring handheld cellphones, you know people want Bluetooth. Me, I don't even own a cellphone, but I love that stereo! The OTD price I negotiated for Altima 2008 is $27,200.00 The OTD price for EXL is $25,300.00.
    Altima's will only be more expensive in the fall with no rebate, so I figure it is now or never, plus I got a decent offer on my ancient car from a private person. Money is always an object. Still I really liked driving that Altima. I guess I want a reason to justify why I am spending more money.... mean why is this car more expensive? Is it really that hot an item? And I worried if it will stand the test of time.. have over 200,000 on my current Camry and the Civic I had before got 243,000 miles before I sold it for $1500 to make the downpayment on the Camry! Btw, the reason my brother wanted me to get the Accord was because of the VSC, but I drive very conservatively. As a matter of fact, my brother said not to bother test driving a V6 as "it would be wasted on me." :blush: Thank you!
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    I traded in my 2007 Nissan Altima Hybrid for a 2008 Honda Accord LX automatic. Its been a few months now. Hands down, there is no comparison. I found the accord to be a better car in all phases. Handling, Comfortability, Ride, Resale Value, and more Standard Features. If you compare the Altima 2.5S to Accord LX automatic. This is apples to apples since both are base automatics, the Accord had more power, standard features, space and better resale. The mainteance minder system in the Accord is priceless. Altima doesn't have it. Bought my LX for $20K OTD with Tire Hazard Warranty + rotations and balances for 5 years unlimited mileage.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    If you compare the Altima 2.5S to Accord LX automatic. This is apples to apples since both are base automatics, the Accord had more power...

IMO, I think the Accord has less power than the Altima. I like the tight steering on the Accord better b/c it's closer to my '08 G35 in term of handling. However, if you like a softer ride and less bump, the Altima is a better choice.

Resale value is not much an issue if you keep your car 7 years or longer.
    I just want to clarify that I am talking about the Accord EXL and the Altima 2.5SL with Bose/Bluetooth. Both are 4cylinder luxury models but no navigation. It is funny I too feel the Altima is more peppy, but the Accord apparently has more horsepower. 190 I think.
    You know, I like that Altima a lot and may take one more test drive before I make my decision. I did the math this morning. The Altima will cost me $2090.00 more out the door than the Honda, or I can get a Honda with Nav for $500 bucks less than this Nissan! Not to mention that .09% financing with Honda. I shopped quite a bit... and it has been tough to find what I want in the Altima but I got the best quotes from both dealerships... and I researched many! My mechanic says the price difference is all about inventory, and it is true Nissan's with Connection are rare! Is $27,300.00 too much to pay for the Nissan SL with Conn?
    On the other hand I do not want to talk myself out of getting the car that feels to fit me (Nissan) because of money alone. It is not only that it is a smoother ride. I think because I put so many miles on my Civic (242,000) and almost $200,000 on the Camry, those car rides are kind of well...boring...dare I say....like an old shoe?
    Oh my God did I really say that!? :surprise: THe Nissan feels different and more new and exciting. :shades: Thoughts please?
    WOAH!!! that price for an Altima 2.5 SL w/ connection is awful! I paid $24,600 for my 2.5 SL w/ connection pkg. You're getting ripped off. See if there's another dealer around that can give you a better deal because the Altima is a great car if you can get it for a good price.

If you got a good deal on the Altima 2.5 SL w/ connection pkg, it would be less expensive than a similarly equipped Accord EX-L 4-cyl.
    The Accord LX actually has LESS power than the Altima 2.5S. At the same time, even though the Accord EX 4-cyl has more horsepower, the 2.5L in the Altima still has a lot more torque, so the Altima is still the quicker car.

I will admit that the Accord has a smoother and more refined ride, but the Altima will be more fun to drive, and it's significantly lighter. It's your pick as to which one you want.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    WOAH!!! that price for an Altima 2.5 SL w/ connection is awful! I paid $24,600 for my 2.5 SL w/ connection pkg. You're getting ripped off. See if there's another dealer around that can give you a better deal because the Altima is a great car if you can get it for a good price.

If you got a good deal on the Altima 2.5 SL w/ connection pkg, it would be less expensive than a similarly equipped Accord EX-L 4-cyl.

Something is definitely wrong here...I haven't yet seen what I would call a comparable Altima/Accord pricing comparason in which the Accord was priced cheaper. Further investigation would definitely be in order before buying...
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well, I have always been as crucial as to just pull on the door handles to see exactly how well they are made when looking at cars. It is small little details like that, that makes the overall car quality. That is alot to remember for a company, it comes from overall look, gaps, paint, to the feel and texture of everything. It is the smaller details that add up to an overall feel of the car, all those details add up to how a car feels, and holds up with every mile. This does not necessarily mean spending more money, but rather choosing the right parts, and seeing that they work together well.

So that is something to think about when you look at your next new car, pull the door handles, shut the doors, close the trunk, look at the engine. These details make a difference for me, it tells me that they cared about everything, all the way down to the door switches.
    Where did you buy your Altima and how long ago? In Calif you will not find a 2.5SLAltima with Connection for $25,000 OTD. Not any more. If you or anyone else can, I will be glad to admit I am wrong. Just point me in the right direction. I've contacted numerous dealerships over the last two months. SL with Connection is rare right now because of Calif new law banning hand held cells and because they are getting ready with the 2009s. Maybe you can get dark colors but black is not for me. Please if you know of something out there let me know. I am tired.<a href=" :sick:
    I did get the Honda quote in internet writing and by phone by a reputable dealer.
    But I love the Altima. Thank you mp.
    Sorry I think I am responding to madpistol. But you are right about those door handles. They are both great cars but that Nissan is a dream. I mean...I feel happy when I drive it. With the Accord it is more like a going to work feeling. Maybe because I commuted so many years in a Civic with 242,000 miles on it!
    I see. It's different on the west coast apparently. I live in Alabama, and I got one dealer to quote $24,565 and one quoted $24,600. Both were OTD prices on nearly identical 2.5 SL's w/ connection pkg. Funny enough, the lower priced one had more on it, but it was all cosmetic stuff; the cars were essentially the same

. I'm sorry to hear about the new cell phone law in California. The 2.5 SL's w/ connection pkg is fairly rare by itself, but seeing as bluetooth could be a huge asset now, it would make them pretty difficult to find. I bet this is the last generation of cars that bluetooth is a high-grade option. Next generation, it will more than likely be mainstream technology due to demand for it. I would also be willing to wager that there will be more 2009 Altima SL's due to the inclusion of bluetooth. Nissan/Honda/Toyota needs to capitalize on these markets due to demand for technology like this.
    I really want to buy that Nissan. I am thinking the price will only go up for the 2009 for this package and no rebate. I cannot see the advantage of waiting. It is the right color and has everything I want. This car was selling about $1000 cheaper in June but now they are as scarce as hen's teeth. Do you think I should go ahead and make the plunge or is there some advantage in waiting that I haven't thought about?I figured you were from the south with a name like mad pistol...plus the good price for the car! Thanks again partner. ;)
    Btw what color/interior/year is your Altima and how do you like it so far? Bye for now.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    I, too, am from the south...South Carolina, in fact. And, here, Hondas are evidently considered a bit more "elite" and the dealers are reluctant to deal as much as the Nissan dealers. Nissans are cheaper here than comparable Hondas and Camry's, too.

Maybe its because they are made in Mississippi, or maybe there are differences to CA cars that increase their prices significantly.

I purchases a 2.5SL in January (fully loaded with all options) and couldn't be happier. Good luck!
    I am thinking the price will only go up for the 2009 for this package and no rebate. I cannot see the advantage of waiting. It is the right color and has everything I want.

Yes, if you need the car now, you should buy it now. The '08 might get a little cheaper in another 1 or 2 months but you might not be able to find the exact car you want. I don't think you will see a big incentive on the '09 until Feb. or March of next years.
    Thank you gooddeal2. Btw are you a Nissan dealer? Ha!Ha! jk :shades:
    Actually, the name madpistol stems back to a game I used to play online, and it honestly has nothing to do with me living in the south. I wonder sometimes if I would do better in the north. ;)

I own a Silver 2008 Altima 2.5 SL w/ Connection pkg. It's only available with a black interior (very sporty and luxurious looking.) I purchased it in late April and have put over 5000 miles on it. It's driven like a dream so far. I'll even admit that I liked the '08 Accord EX quite a bit, but I think the Altima is a better car this generation. Assuming you get a good price on it, it's tough to beat. You can always get a Sonata for about $3k less, but this car is so much more fun on the road!

Let us know what you come up with. If you can't get the Nissan dealer to drop the price down below the Accord, either go to another Nissan dealer (if that's even possible), or buy the Accord. Both the Altima and Accord are fabulous cars this generation.
    Thank you gooddeal2. Btw are you a Nissan dealer?

Haha, nope, I just try to share my opinion here. If you like to trade in cars within 2 or 3 years like me, getting '09 is not a bad idea. :P
    Actually in CA, since I live in CA, the HP for the altima due to PZEV is 170 hp and 175 torque. On the other hand, the LX accord has 177hp and 161 torque. So in CA, the hp is higher for the accord. Regardless, I think the Accord is better due to standard features etc. The value is greater. Also, the accord is classified as a large car.
    How hot does that black interior get? I like the the blonde but may have to settle.
    Big brother keeps telling me I will regret the blonde leather because I will alway be cleaning it. But sitting on those black seats in the summertime can hurt I fear!
    Anyway I admit, it is a nice look. I will keep you posted. So happy you are enjoying your Altima! :shades:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    The engine in the Altima is probably pretty good, but I do know from experience that the engine in the Accord, 4cyl, is really strong. Only if they offered the sport shift for the automatic. That is one reason the Altima is more fun to drive, because as a driver, we want all the control in the car as we can get. Now, sure a manual transmission is always, but if the Accord added it to their line up, it would make it more fun. For me, atleast. I would use it. Really, I think that the feature is really getting popular, especially since they are getting more advanced with it. Especially, while test driving cars, I took out a 08 VW wolfsburg edition Jetta, with a 2.0T engine! It has the DSG sport automatic transmission, 6spd. It was truly a little race car! When you are able to control the torque, it was alot of fun! Which by the way, is only $21k, tremendous deal!
    So with an Engine in the Accord being so strong as is, it would be nice to have a sporty transmission, but would the affect their mileage per gallon quota? I am not sure, but why not give the option! Who says a family car has to be boring?

Sounds like the Altima and the Accord are stacking up quite high. All cars have their faults though.
    You are on target with have a sport shift. If the Accord has Sport Shift, it would be the best sedan out there. You can shift from D to D3 in the accord, but its no sport shift. I used to own a Mazda6 and it had sport shift. It was awesome. The new Altima's have sport shift. The accord actually has a 5 speed manual also. Both cars are good and it up to each individuals taste on which one they want. Personally I enjoy the accord due to tighter handling.