Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

Comments

• elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    The Camry looks like a Mazda6 balloon that was over inflated. The Sebring is just plain disgusting.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm thinkin' we're s'posed to be talking 'bout the Accord and Altima and that several off-topic vehicles are interrupting us. :P
  • OK, here's some Altima/Accord information: January 2007 sales figures were just released, with comparison rates based on January, 2006 sales:

Sales for Altima with 24,394 units were up 39.7 percent over last year. Sales for Accord, Honda's volume leader, increased 12.0 percent for the month to 25,714. That means that the Altima is poised to overtake the Accord as #2 in its class. We'll see how the 2008 Accord changes this trend.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Wow, the Accord INCREASED 12%? That alone is impressive to me, for a five-year old design destined for a replacement in 6-8 months. Usually sales are sliding at this point, no?
  • Honda has been very aggressive with supporting its dealers to give good sale and lease pricing over the past couple of months--and it's clearly working. At this point in the lifetime of Gen7, Honda can afford to give the consumers some breaks--it's already made a bundle on this iteration. Along with Honda's reputation you're getting an awful lot of value for relatively few dollars. That's why I went with the SE V6 over the Legacy GT, VW GLi & Passat, and Mazda6. $20.5K ($22.4K OTD) for the V6 in the color I like best on the planet was just too good to pass up. I may well sell in about four years for a clean diesel with twice the mpg, but I'll still get a great resale value for the base V6. And introducing the Accord to a first time Honda buyer like me will make me more prone to consider the Honda diesel >2009.
  • aamixyaamixy Posts: 69
    I searched another thread trying to find more information but didn't get too much information. The Altima's 3.5L 270hp engine with a 6-speed transmission really sounds attractive compared to Accord's 3.0L 244hp with a 5 speed. I am gonna test-drive a 3.5SE tomorrow but would like to have some inputs here first, since a very short testdrive sometimes doesn't say too much.

Previous testdrive of a 2.5S (I4) didn't impress me too much. The CVT does feel a little smooth at acceleration but the ride is not that solid as in an Accord, plus the Altima feels a little light.

Thanks!
    Got some information already from the Nissan forum. Thoughts are welcome from Accord owners...
    I have the V6 Accord, and I wouldn't trade it for anything, at least anything under $30,000. I think if I was shopping for a car now, I would try to wait for the new 08 Accord, coming in the fall. You could probably get a great deal on an 07 at clearance time though.
    The problem is that I can't wait. :( Have to buy a car within a month or so. Any photos about the new Accord?
    All they have is pictures of the coupe so far. You can probably get a great deal on an 07 model right now. The V6 engine is perfectly matched to the suspension, and size of the car. Do some test drives, and read some magazine reviews.
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    A note:

The 270 horsepower Altima with a 6-speed Manual tested at 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.

The 244 horsepower Accord with a 6-speed Manual tested at 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.

Same magazine tested them (Car and Driver).

The Accord V6s are coming in at $500-$750 under invoice (a loaded model for under $25k regularly if you don't want NAVI, if you do, add $2k).

Altimas are hot commodities being so new, I'll be surprised to see much off of sticker on those at the moment (Figure $2k+ more than a comparable equipped Accord).

If you are buying the Altima to be quicker, I'm not sure you'll find it a whole lot more appealing. And that Honda manual is one of the best in the business. Make sure you test both of them!
    Thanks for the picture. It looks like a concept to me. :)
    I test-drove the SE V6 twice which gave me different
    feeling. The first time was good but the second time is a little worst since it rides a little bumpy.
    I am gonna go with Accord since Altima with the similar options would cost over $25k+ttl which is beyond my OTD budget. Like I said in the previous post, my first test drive of the Accord was quite good compared to an earlier test drive of a Camry LE V6 (bumpy ride and thin chassis); but after the second test of both cars, my impression was reversed: the Camry rides very smooth and less bumpy than the Accord. Anyway, these are just my personal feelings.

My current concern is that I probably have missed the $750 incentive since it ends today. I'll try sending out the internet bid next week. Thanks for all you guys' inputs!
  • The ride on the V6 Accord is harsher than the Camry, no doubt. But (IMO) the improved driving dynamics more than make up for it. Sounds like you have the same budget I had and I decided to go with the SE V6 Accord and save a few grand. I have no trouble living without the bells & whistles--I just want a good driving car. I wouldn't go over $22K OTD for the SE right now and you can probably get under that if you try ($22.4K for me in 11/06).
    That sounds like an unbelieveably low OTD price. I am in the bay area, CA. My first time rough negotiation with a dealer quoted me $24k OTD. Good to know this $22k. One other thing is I feel I can get in and out the Camry much easier than the Accord since the Camry's steering wheel can be tilted more towards the panel, leaving enough space between the bottom arc of the wheel and the seat for my legs (I am 6'2"). I've already tried hard to adjust the wheel and the seat in the Accord and still there is a little bit difficulty. Hopefully I can get used to it.
  • jehujehu Posts: 5
    Just bought an SE V6 in Bay Area last weekend. Get quotes from different dealers websites. You'll probably ending up working w/ fleet managers who can give you a lower price than showroom floor. $22K OTD. Maybe can get lower if you play dealers off each other.
    Thanks for the information. Which dealer did you end up buying from? The dealer at Stevens Creek told me they will beat price from other dealers. :)
  • I just bought an LX V6 from University Honda in Davis. Paid $22800+t+l. I love this car! Everything about it is quality. It's fast and handles well, ride could be better but you have to trade off ride for handling. This is my 2nd Accord of this generation. Went from a 03 EX V6 6 speed coupe to to the 07 LX V6 sedan and both are great cars. IMO even with the redesign the Altima interior looks and feels cheap and the Accord will always have better resale.
  • jehujehu Posts: 5
    Larry Hopkins in Sunnyvale. They said they'd beat anyone's price by $100. Of course, this was a couple of weeks ago when they probably had to meet their month-end quotas. :D
  • Good deal! That's $1500 over what I paid for my SE V6. That's about right. I like the interior except for the grey cloth on the seats. Just ordered some classy seat covers to spice things up and keep the seats clean for resale when the '09 diesel comes out! :)