Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Nissan Altima

12346»

Comments

• busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    How hot does that black interior get? I like the the blonde but may have to settle.
    Big brother keeps telling me I will regret the blonde leather because I will alway be cleaning it. But sitting on those black seats in the summertime can hurt I fear!

I have a dark blue 08 2.5 SL with the blonde leather interior. So far, no cleanliness issues...but, I don't have any small kids...mine are grown. Up to now, no stains at all...
  • madpistolmadpistol Member Posts: 126
    How hot does that black interior get? I like the the blonde but may have to settle.
    Big brother keeps telling me I will regret the blonde leather because I will alway be cleaning it. But sitting on those black seats in the summertime can hurt I fear!

Actually, it's not that bad. I live in an apartment currently, so the car is outside all the time, and temperatures get close to 100F during the summer. It's never bothered me honestly. I just get in the car, turn it on, let the Automatic Climate Control kick in, roll the windows down for a minute to let the hot air out while I'm driving, and I'm completely comfortable in less than 5 minutes. The leather seems to cool off pretty quickly, and I've never burned myself on it or anything like that.

It's easier to see dirt on the blond interior, so I recommend the black interior too. My mom was completely against it because she thinks it would get too hot as well. It's hot when it starts out, but it's nothing that will hurt you. Black leather w/ carbon fiber inserts on the doors and center cubby looks awesome on the SL models. I think it looks 10x better than the wood trim.
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I prefer the Ivory leather because you can actually see the dirt. Saddle soap is cheap, and works great. Just because you can't see the dirt on a black seat, doesn't mean it's not there. :confuse:
    True, I just prefer black leather. It's cool stuff. :shades:
  • altimrsaltimrs Member Posts: 15
    I'm with madpistol on this one. Saddle soap or Mothers it is.
    Btw, you were right about that quote Alabama. A miracle happened today.
    I called around the state and got this great internet quote from San Diego on one of two jade nissans left with connection...mine with a moonroof...sitting in a storage facility.
    It has 102 miles on it with blonde interior. I am getting it OTD for $25,607.00 with 3.9% financing. I gave them a deposit and will be flying down to pick it up in a week or so. To think all the other dealers wanted $2000 more! I am a happy camper. The guy said it was on the lot because of overflow from some of their dealer lots. I don't know what that means. I just hope my little car is a good one and not a :lemon:
    I can't believe it was so simple, after dealing with all those other guys at numerous dealerships! Btw this car has a moon roof deflector that I can take off if I choose. Personally I think they detract from the sleek cool look of the vehicle. What do you all think? :shades:
    If I had to settle for black interior I would now, having read all your feedback. But it looks like I will be getting my first choice, Jade with blonde. I liked the Sonoma too but figure it is just too high maintanance like most dark colors! Wow I am :D
    Check that...I'm with Elroy 5 on the leather!
    Since it has 102 miles on it, make sure you put it through its paces before you accept it and start working on other things. Run it on some curvy roads, highway at at least 70 mph, etc. I'm sure you know the drill. I'm a little wary as well since these guys are giving you a much better deal compared to all the other dealerships in the area. Just make sure you're satisfied with the car before you purchase it.

Other than that, congrats on finding your perfect car! :D
    OK but since I am not much in the know as to what to look for I wonder if I should take a friend with me? It will cost me a plane ticket but may be worth it.
    Also, what do you think of the fact that it has been sitting on the storage overflow lot?
    This is a large dealership with several stores within the area. The guy seemed straight forward. And lastly, what is your opinion of the moon roof deflector? I don't need to get it if I don't want it. I don't think it looks that good but..If I decide not to get it will it save me some dough? Thank you so much!:confuse:
    No need to take a friend with you. I'm sure your judgment will suffice. If you think you will have better "dealing" power if you have a friend there, it's your call. Your intuition is your best tool. Also, if you have some sort of email or fax of the price you and the dealer agreed on, take it with you so in case they decide to back down on the deal, you have proof that they made that deal with you.

I don't think it's been sitting in a storage overflow lot (whatever that is). If it has been, it's been run through its paces. I got my car with 11 miles on it, so if a car has 100+ miles on it, there's a reason. It's probably been test driven a lot. That's not a bad thing, but you need to make sure you do a thorough inspection of the car to make sure there aren't any dings, scratches, dents, loose body work, etc. Basically you're looking for imperfections with the car. They should have told you upfront if there was anything wrong with the car. Since they didn't, you need to assume that the car is in perfect shape. If it isn't, make them fix it before you take it home.

As for driving the car, the steering should be dead-on center when going straight, and make sure that the car feels easy and controlled when driving it. That's what I liked about mine. The suspension will feel sporty, so expect some feedback. If it's uncomfortable though, question the salesman about it. Mine has never been uncomfortable when driving. If there are any rattles or noises in the cabin while driving, let the salesman know so he can get it fixed before you take the car off the lot.

As for the moonroof deflector, I personally thought it was very sporty looking, but to each their own. If you don't like it, don't get it. If it's already installed and you don't want it, tell them to uninstall it and subtract something like $50 from the final price. If it's already installed and it's not a big deal though, just leave it on. It'll be less of a hassle.

Hope this helps you! Let me know if you need to know anything else. :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    As a fellow Accord owner told me once - avoid the deflector. If it rains or your car is wet from washing, the water doesn't just blow off and dry with the deflector there, leaving water under it and preventing YOU from getting to use it! Without the deflector, wind will do its work and you'll be open-top cruising in no-time!

Just something I had never thought of (I don't have one on my 06 Honda), and because of this fact, I know I wouldn't get one ever if I had the option.
    Yes, I had a moonroof deflector on my old Accord, and it doesn't really help with wind noise. Then water takes forever to dry under it, and it's virtually impossible to clean under that thing. I would definitely avoid the moonroof deflector. Since this car has a deflector installed on it, I wonder if this car was purchased by someone else, and they returned it. Dealerships don't usually install roof deflector before the cars are sold. :confuse:
    Here in the upstate of SC, most cars with sunroofs come with the deflectors. My 08 Altima 2.5SL did as well, and I had the dealership remove it before taking delivery (2 screws...takes 30 seconds to remove). Most cars here are factory supplied with deflectors, so the dealership can make a few more bucks. They will offer to remove it from the car, but not the price.

I have had cars with and without, and I prefer without. They actually add a little wind noise, and the provide a a great place for leaves and other trash to collect, since it becomes a negative air pressure point when the car is in motion.
    Wow! This gets really complex guys. :surprise:
    They will offer to remove it from the car, but not the price.

I don't think I would go for that. Options are optional (including paying for them). They can stick that thing on the next car in line.
    Well it looks like the deal is almost done. I had my mechanic call the Internet sales guy and grill him (politely) about the 102 miles on the SL with Connection. This dealership has five or six locations and I guess they moved it to a few different ones before putting it out to temporary pasture in a larger lot (less rent) where they put the overflow. It is one of two left in the Metallic Jade and that was my first choice. The other one does not have a moonroof. Mine has the deflector in it so I will drive it home and if I still do not care for the look I will have my mechanic remove it. My deal included splash guards and aluminum kick plates and the deflector. OTD it is$25,606.19 after the thousand dollar rebate and 3.9% financing.
    That was the very best quote I received so I put a deposit on it and will fly down to pick it up (after a careful scutinizing and test drive!) and drive it back to Northern Calif in about 10 days. Wow! I can't wait.
    I heard through the grape vine that Nissan will discontinue the Metallic Jade for 2009 as it is not a popular color. They are going to add something called Brick..a red shade I think. I don't know why people don't like the Jade especially with the blonde interior. My second choice would have been white. I like the Sonoma Sunset a lot too, but that color would have been too high maintanance.~
    Anyway, I will keep you all posted..especially you mp. I have never played a computer game,,,don't even have a cell but will definitely enjoy that Bose stereo.
    You sure were right about that price. To think I could have paid $27,400.00 OTD! :cry: But I am a happy camper now! :)
    All you need to do to remove the moonroof air dam is a phillips head screwdriver. It is secured by a couple of small metal u-shaped inserts that you can easily loosen yourself to remove the device....should't take more than 1 or 2 minutes.

Enjoy your new ride!
    That price sounds much better. I don't know what car you're coming from, but stepping up from my '02 Toyota Solara 4cyl, the Altima feels like a luxury sports car. Hopefully it'll feel the same way to you.

Good Luck with that test drive. Let us know how it goes. :)
    stepping up ....from a 1993 Toyota Camry XLE, well maintained, with 200,024 miles on it...oh yeah!
    I'll be in touch. ;)
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    For the Accord or for any other car, is it harmful to use the D3 to sorta use it as a manual shift, mainly to get more power when accelerating, and then switch it back to auto when you are up to speed. Does this hurt the Transmission at all? or is it the same thing as a manual shift, except it only gives you one option instead of gearing between 5spds? I have used this a couple times, its somewhat useful, it mainly ups the RPM's giving you more power, but it still shifts gears, and it never goes up high in RPM's, but gives you more torque.

Let me know.
    Shifting to D3 shouldn't hurt anything. I tried it a couple of times (at around 70mph), just to see how high the rpms would go. It didn't send the tachometer anywhere near red-line, so I think you would have to be going pretty fast to red-line the engine. I shift my manual truck enough every day though, so I kind of like the easy operation of the automatic when I do drive the car. Just hit the gas, and she goes.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    For the Accord or for any other car, is it harmful to use the D3 to sorta use it as a manual shift, mainly to get more power when accelerating, and then switch it back to auto when you are up to speed.

D3 still is Auto, otherwise you would be stuck in 3rd (or 4th) gear. It just disables the OD. You aren't hurting anything by turning off the OD except perhaps fuel economy If you have your foot in it to accelerate, it isn't going to be in overdrive anyway, so its kind of a mute point.
    If I am in a rental car on a 2 lane road and have to pass, I usually turn off overdrive so I don't have the delay of waiting for the thing to figure out to downshift in addition to the lag for the car to accelerate.
  • lakemarygarylakemarygary Member Posts: 1
    Dear madpistol Could you please let me know the dealer ship and sales man names I am looking for one. I am planning to buy before 08's Black and with Blonde interior finishes.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Could you please let me know the dealer ship and sales man names

He can post the dealership but not the salesperson's name. It's against the rules here.
    Dealerships were Crown Nissan in Hoover, AL and Family Nissan in Oxford, AL. Oxford gave me the better price, but were incredibly pushy. Crown Nissan was very relaxing and professional, but I ultimately paid a little more to buy it from them. I would recommend Crown Nissan 100% and Family Nissan about 75%. Both are good dealerships, but Crown just struck a much better chord with me.
  • xfumblerxfumbler Member Posts: 3
    What are you talking about? My 08 Accord has a full time manual shift mode! :D
    The Altima does too. In fact, the Altima's got a 6-speed manual vs. the Accord's 5-speed manual.

The Altima also has a CVT w/ 6-speed manual shift mode vs. The Accord's 5-speed Auto w/ no manual shift mode.

Advantage: Altima... no question.
    Advantage Accord. No question "The choice you'd make if you were serious about driving".
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=123357
    I agree with that article... I have no choice. I have not driven the coupes of either model. A lot of people say they like the Accord coupe better though, so I can't question that.

What I DO know is that I've driven the '08 Accord EX-L 4-cyl and '08 Altima 2.5 SL sedans back-to-back, and the Altima is quicker, more fuel efficient, has more features, and is more fun to drive. All of this combined with a lower price tag makes the Altima sedan an excellent value compared to the '08 Accord sedan.

The way I look at it, if you want a larger back seat and stability control, get the Accord. For everything else, get the Altima. I've had my '08 Altima 2.5 SL sedan for 3 months now, and I have no regrets at all. I sometimes wonder if I should have gotten the Accord, but then I think about all the stuff that the Altima comes with that the Accord doesn't. It makes me love my Altima even more.

One more thing...

'08 Accord = 8.9
    '08 Altima = 9.3

It seems that most people agree with me. It's just too bad that most people don't do several months worth of research before they buy their cars.
    Well just be glad we got a 5spd, rather than a 4spd. Did you know that the Impala SS model with the V8 only has a 4spd transmission, now tell me whose skimping out on features, or no wait, necessities. New cars should atleast have a 5spd, its 2008.

So despite all of the Altima and Accord's flaws, they atleast are thinking of the basic requirements of the car. Certainly not skimping out on fit and finish or compromising anything to save money, because I don't feel that when I see these cars, when compared to "other" models.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    New cars should at least have a 5spd, its 2008.

Why?

Its about having the engine in its efficiency band. The engine should be able to get to peak horsepower, peak torque, or peak economy. Adding gears in a marketing campaign to compensate for a razor thin powerband in the motor doesn't mean everyone needs to go around adding mechanical complexity to their transmissions.

I would worry more about fuel economy and performance measures than how many gears something has.
    Good points! But, Given that an engine with more gearing, could perhaps have more options in getting better efficiency, as it would be able to pick the best gear to be in, at a certain RPM, therefore allowing the engine to have more options. Its also more fun in a manual mode, or actual manual.
  • karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    Given that an engine with more gearing, could perhaps have more options in getting better efficiency, as it would be able to pick the best gear to be in, at a certain RPM, therefore allowing the engine to have more options.

Yeah, they should invent a transmission that is continuously variable. This would be great, the car would never have to shift. It could provide a smooth, fast, efficient automobile. Someday they'll make it happen.
    Well, if I had it my way now, I would get a Honda Accord V6 Coupe, RED!
    I don't know how to drive a manual, but if someone gave me the keys to that, I
    would learn, FAST! That cars is absolutely awesome!
  • karpediemkarpediem Member Posts: 46
    Saw a couple Accord Coupes on the road today, they're alright looking...better than the sedan IMO. Altima coupe is alright too. I think the main reason both of them look a little odd to me is because they are still pretty big for a coupe. Still have to give props to both Nissan and Honda though for at least making them look attractive.....unlike the G6 coupe.
  • jam1kjjam1kj Member Posts: 2
    I would have to say the Nissan Altima is your best bet. My family has been a nissan family since 1989. Here is a rundown of the family vehicles. 1989 Pickup(389,000)cops dont now how as it looked like a crush beer can cousin fell sleep coming home) 1997 Nissan Altima(340,000m) 2002 Nissan Maxima(140,000 miles when sold) 2006 Nissan Sentra (36000) 2007 Nissan Frontier(39,000). All these vehicle are still being driven never had any major repairs. So in October of 2008. I have come to the decision based on repeated reliality and performance and maitnence cost. To purchae either the 2008 or 2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE fully loaded or the 2008-2009 Nissan Maxima fully loaded as my birthday gift to myself.
  • swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    Hi All!

I will (hopefully) be purchasing my first new car in the near future and wanted to ask for your feedback/advice. I am currently torn between the Nissan Altima Coupe and either the Honda Civic Coupe or the Honda Accord Coupe. I have test driven the Altima several times and love the car, but am unclear as to the long term reliability of the vehicle (what I've been reading on the forums about engine failures after 6 years is concerning...but I think most are coming from the first year of the redesigned sedan back in 2002). A plus for the Honda's is they come with a few more standard safety features like Electronic Stability Control/Vehicle Stability Assist. I would truly love to hear your advice and feedback. Thank you in advance for your time and advice, I truly appreciate it!
    In all honesty, you can't go wrong with either the Altima Coupe or the Accord Coupe. The only reason you should buy a Civic coupe, though, is if you wish to save money on gas. Either the Accord or Altima will be far more practical and enjoyable driving wise.

After the reviews I've read of both the Altima and Accord Coupe, I'd have to lean towards the Accord Coupe. It seems to have a more refined ride, and it has more usable space than the Altima. However, the Altima has a terrific CVT transmission w/ 6-speed manual mode, which will definitely add some excitement to the drive with that car.

If you want all-out thrills though, either the Civic Si coupe or the Accord V6 manual will give you all the thrills you need in a FWD coupe.

If you're looking for a more practical coupe though, I'd vote for the '08-'09 Accord EX 4-cyl. It's probably the best midsize coupe on the market currently.
    I think the Altima sedan is a bit ugly. Looks really heavy, its rear end is huge looking!
    The style is just a re-done, blown up version of the model before it. Blah, it does not give me any inspiration. Just my opinion though. Too each their own.

Now, the Altima coupe is a sharp looking ride and so is the Accord coupe.
    Now, the Accord sedan, could use some slimming, and a bit more coupe inspiration, it would not have hurt anything. People want more style these days.
    My only advice is to drive them all thoroughly!

One person's junk is another person's jewel. Nobody's trying to lead you wrong here, but opinions differ quite regularly. I hope you'll drive each of the cars you are interested in before deciding against them! :)

Best Regards, ;)

TheGraduate
  • swhondaswhonda Member Posts: 19
    Thank you all so much for input; I really appreciate it!!! Thank you thegraduate...you are so right! I find that each time I test drive a vehicle, I learn something new about it. I like the Altima, Accord, Civic (and now adding Civic SI) to the list in different ways. I hope to go for another round of test drives this week to help narrow down the list....but my goodness, this is a tough decision... :blush:

Thanks again!
    There's not a bad car in the lot. The Civic offers a good value if you typically drive with just you or you and one passenger in the car. The Altima and Accord are more substantial vehicles with somewhat lower economy, but more power and ride/sound isolation.

Happy hunting!
    To add to what thegraduate said, the difference between driving a Civic and an Altima/Accord is very striking. Although you lose a few MPG in fuel economy, you gain lots of refinement, ride comfort, usable space, and engine power. The Civic is a lot of fun for a small car, but there's a reason our society is always moving for larger, more space efficient vehicles. Nearly everyone that I know values size and power over fuel economy. Since most cars are now pushing close to 30MPG highway with nearly 200hp, there isn't a good reason not to get a midsize sedan/coupe anymore.

The only thing that I can think of that's making people question weather a midsize is worth it over a compact is simply price. Is it worth it to the average joe to pay roughly $5-7k more to gain space, power, and overall comfort to the driver? That's the question that most buyers have to answer.

I've driven a compact sedan before, and now that I've moved to a midsize, I can say in confidence that I will never go back. The advantages of a midsize far outweigh the loss of fuel economy. ;)
  • mevander1mevander1 Member Posts: 43
    I am driving an 2009 Altima as a loaner car while my BMW 740I (1998. 75,000 miles) in in for service. I am impressed with the base 2.5S for it comes with quite a few features, It is reasonably fast for a 4 cylinder, CVT was easy to drive and awesome gas mileage! I have been getting 24 in the city and 35 on the highway (extended loaner). I also get to put regular gas vs. premium that BMW needs. Its is not a strong or built as well, however the 740i listed for over 70,000 when new and this one can be has in the high teens price wise. The only thing I would add would be a power drivers seat. The engine seems stronger/faster than the Accord/Camry 4 bangers
  • rostamrostam Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if any of you actually driven these two cars because if you have and you are a driver, you can not miss the striking difference between them and that's the power and performance advantage of Altima vs Accord. Hondas and Toyotas are known for their sub par performance in comparison to their competitors in the same category. Maybe performance is not what you are looking for which is fine but even quality wise Nissan's competitive if not better. The shock's of the Altima is stiffer because of it's performance capabilities special if you have a V6. By far you get more enjoyment driving an Altima, I know I've a 2010 3.5SR CVT.
    You should not ignore the enjoyment factor of a car unless you are purchasing a utility vehicle for work. By the way, Honda corporation is not such a clean honest company as you may think that are. This is from a friend of mine owning 3 Hondas saying that they avoid publicly issuing recalls by fixing it the next time you visit the dealer for something like an oil change. They would just inform you that they have replaced the part for you free of charge.
    Recalls can't be avoided when they are safety issues, per NTHSA. They don't have to recall parts when the issue doesn't affect driving safety, at least that's how I've come to know it.
  • grigolgrigol Member Posts: 17
    Tried EX-L V6. Like it very much.
    Except one thing – didn’t get an armrest.
    People who tested Altima 2013 know what I mean.
    ----- Tried EX-L V6. Like it very much.
    Except one thing – didn’t get an armrest.
    People who tested Altima 2013 know what I mean. -----

I've driven both and have absolutely no idea what you mean. Please help us by explaining?
  • grigolgrigol Member Posts: 17
    Ok, I’ll try to explain …
    If you put yourself into Altima or Acura TL or Acura RDX (and many others), adjust your seat and steering column you noticed that you can hold a steering wheel with your right hand and rest your right elbow on a armrest.
    Try the same in Accord.
    For me it is very important feature for a long run.
  • gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Couldn't you have just said this right from the start - maybe in just one thread? And if this is the case, as you say, no place to rest your elbow - what do we do now?
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic