Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Jimmy Squeaks, Rattles and Noises

13»

Comments

• Options
    dean45dean45 Member Posts: 2
    Love my '97 Jimmy, 4wd (3 button), 2dr, SLT model. Over 170k miles, had to replace only few parts so far. Experiencing noise only in 4wd mode both hi & lo, sounds like crunch crunch, clunk clunk and feel vibrations in steering wheel & possibly pedals. Possibly similar to GMC Jimmy Squeaks, Rattles and Noises, post #80, (from thard88 Apr 13, 2007 (6:41 am)), Recurrent noise in front end.

Removed battery & tray, looked at vacuum actuator, seemed to be ok. Removed/plugged vacuum line, Seems to shift hi & lo ok, but no 4wd and no noise, replaced vac line and tested to see if actuator moved, it seemed to suck in all the way. (after replacing batt & starting/engaging 4wd...noise returned) Seems to make same noises while going straight and turning. Noise seems to happen most while starting/stopping and occasionally still happens while moving. Seems to happen in both forward & reverse as well. Any help troubleshooting would be most appreciated! Haven't climbed underneath yet because of the snow and cold, but on initial glance nothing out of normal.
  • Options
    luvlymandaluvlymanda Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2011
    I have a '99 GMC Jimmy and it is fairly new to me (had it about 5 months now) and I am starting to notice some pretty major noises coming from the truck. First it started with a squealing noise while driving except at very low speeds (under 10km/hr). This I thought was a belt but the old man thinks it is ball joints... but even more recently the truck has started squeaking very loudly. The best description I can use to explain this is old mattress squeaking. Coming from the front end and it happens while driving when the surface of the road is uneven, anything that makes the truck bounce or when you bounce the truck by pushing down on the front end. And this may be unrelated or a part of the problem... we have put 2 bottles of power steering fluid in the thing in the 5 months we have had it...
    The truck is going into the shop this Friday. Because we have the truck under warranty the old man doesn't even want to take a look at it himself so I kind of want to get an idea of what could be wrong with it before this.
    the truck is pretty 'used' it has about 223000 miles on it
  • Options
    michael79michael79 Member Posts: 21
    could be alot, 1)bearing's about 150.00 a piece, jimmies were known for these going alot, i changed my right side 5 times, 2 times because the shop toruqe them wrong. i have 208,000 miles and this thing runs like the day i bought it with 42000, actually better. jack up the truck in the front one tire at a time, grab the bottom and top of tire an wiggle back and fourth, need to put muscle into it, if they move it will be the bearing. but if the ball joints are really shot this could also move the tire, now while you have the tire in the air put a bar under the tire and pickup on it, if the tire goes up an down it is a ball joint. grab the front middle of tire and the rear middle of the tire and wiggle back and fourth, if the tire moves alot it will be your tie rod ends.
    complete rebuild from a dealer is about 1300 bucks without bearings, that is just the front end, auto zone is your best bet if they let you buy your own parts, and the ball joionts, pitman arm and idler armif needed are all lifetime warrentied. but you get it fixed it will go down the road so sweet.
  • Options
    luvlymandaluvlymanda Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply! It ended up being that it needed to be greased down and we had to replace the front brake pads. We also had to replace the power steering hose, that was apparently causing some of the noise.
  • Options
    eric_saltereric_salter Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GMC jimmy. recently there have been some annoying squeaks coming from under the hood. there are 156k miles on it. The squeak happens at all times. Parked or driving. But is most prominent when I come to a stop sign or stop light. It sounds like its coming from the top of the serpentine belt, maybe A/C pump but I have no clue. Dont want to replace it if its not broke. Where I live its to cold to use the A/C so I wouldnt know if it works or not. The squeak is intermittent, on and off, but very fast. squeak then silence then squeak and silence. as fast as a heart beat. Its not always super loud but it always does it. Its been doing this for about a week now. the belt is in great condition and fairly new. Any Idea?
  • Options
    michael79michael79 Member Posts: 21
    could be tension pulley, try an spray a little wd-40 behind it, could be water pump, make sure no leaks of coolant, you can also spray a little wd-40 on the belt, ( just a little ) it could be the belt, and one more last thing, alternator, because their is alot of tension on the belt it will pull the alternator shaft to one side and the back bearing will go. good luck
  • Options
    hubwy67hubwy67 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had a new engine install on 00 GMC Jimmy. Immediately had a noise in cab that was not there on previous engine. Noise sounds like air/gurgle hard to describe. Only can hear it at idle or low speeds with door closed, once doors are opened very hard to hear. Cannot hear noise under hood. It sounds like coming from behind dash drivers side. Shop having hard time distinguishing where coming from. All vacuum hoses have been checked. Brake Booster checked. Heater core checked. Coolant re-burped. Whole dash taken out no sign as to where noise is coming from. Upon using stethoscope you can hear it everywhere. Throttle cable completely taken out, noise still there. Almost like a noise transfer from some where? This noise drives me crazy. I also had check engine lite come on after 250 miles and stayed on continuously for 3000k miles. It is a random misfire code P0300. Undetected, code was reset and has not come back on yet, however vehicle still at shop trying to locate this noise.