Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    Donn, I installed an aftermarket Keyless entry from Commando.com. Cost was $39 as they were closing out this model. It unlocks, turns on lights, disables the starter and does the normal Beep beep of the horn. PLUS it locks the doors after starting AND unlocks them after turning engine off. All features can be enabled or disabled as the owner prefers (like shutting off the horn confirmation, etc). They provide wiring for the car (mine an 02 forester) and have other models including alarm and remote starter. Installed in 2 hrs.
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    I'm on my second season with Cooper Weather-Master XGRs, their premimum winter tire; 215-70R15s. They're fine tires. Very good snow & ice braking and cornering and good snow acceleration. They're very good in the wet, not too squirmy dry, and quiet. I keep them at around 28-03 psi though, because higher pressures last season started to wear out the center tread area on the fronts. I'll take them off in late March when the risk of serious snow in eastern NY lessens. I plan on 1 more season. I'd buy these tires again. They're good value.

Question: What experience has anyone had with Cooper performance or touring tires such as the Cobra GTZ, Cobra GTH or Lifeliner STE? I'm looking for new 3 season tires that are as good or better than the Forester "S" OEM Yokohama H/Ts. Handling, particularly in the rain is important. Next come smooth ride and quiet. I have a very good Cooper dealer here, but don't know much about the products. Feedback?

John
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Pal086- The manufacturers recommendation for virtually all the dozen plus cars I've owned has been the industry standard 7500 miles under normal usage. However, you'll seldom find a mechanic who agrees with this interval, with most recommending the oil be changed every 3K. Of course the manufacturer doesn't get paid to change your oil whereas the oil change places can more than double their business by convincing you to change it every 3K. FYI, this is one of the more frequently debated topics and while there's little proof that changing the oil more often than the manufacturer recommends helps, it certainly doesn't hurt, and for relatively little expense, you may extend the life of your engine. FWIW, I change mine approx every 6K.

-Frank P.
  • pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    Thanx for all the info.
  • scirocco22scirocco22 Member Posts: 721
    John-- I noticed a co-worker just purchased a set of Cooper Lifeliner STE for his '99 Forester S. When I asked him why he bought them, all he could really say is that he got them at a good price; somewhere around $40 a piece. He didn't imply that he did much research before buying. I notice that Consumer Reports rates them poor in snow. I went to the Cooper web site and notice that surprisingly they have a V-speed rating in the 215/60-16 size. http://www.coopertire.com/tire_cooper/passenger.asp?id=203

Since I'm looking for something that is rated better in snow, I think I'll still be considering the Dunlop SP Sport A2 ...one of the few H-speed rated tires that are rated fairly good in snow and ice.

Hope we're not beating this subject to death. :P

--'rocco
  • logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    Mo, I too have had problems with cutting out and stalling (I have posted before) for the past year.
    Dealers (I have had it to 2) can never replicate the problem until I was about to pick up the 99 Suburu after its last 4 days in the shop and lo and behold the tech had a hard time starting it. They replaced the air sensor control. Guess what. It still starts hard sometimes when cold, sometimes when hot. Have called 1800 suburu (Suburu picked up the tab) and have been told that the area tech rep will be in contact. Have not yet heard from him. Patti, can you be of any help?
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    'rocco - Thanks for the tip. Let me know how both you and your co-worker do with your respective tires in non-winter conditions. I'm also considering the Dunlop SP Sport A2s, having read a few good things about them on these boards.

John
  • mainemojomainemojo Member Posts: 16
    We took our Forester in again today and I'm told they've really fixed it this time by replacing the fuel pressure regulator. We're not picking up the car until Saturday; I'll let you know if the fix worked after putting some miles on it this weekend.

Mo
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    over in the "Future Models" forum!

Bob
  • cyberpiratecyberpirate Member Posts: 28
    mckeown: $39 - no typos? thats a steal, especially considering extra features that you got, compared to subaru system. Boy, was I a sucker for this genuine 'subaru' crap.....
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Won't void your warranty. I've seen tons of people have to go and get their aftermarket security systems removed before a dealer will do work on any electrical system components.

-mike
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    That is very true. Genuine factory items have been designed to be compatable to all the circuitry and other electrical devices in the vehicle. Many problems are introduced by electronic aftermarket accessories, either by engineering incompatability issues or shoddy installations. If you have to cut a vehicle harness to install something, you are just asking for trouble.
    WHenever I install aftermarket items (lights, horns etc.) I make sure that in 20 minutes-40minutes I can have the vehicle back in the original form (electronically) so that if a problem arises, I can remove the lights/wiring/etc. and bring it in for service.

-mike
  • sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    Thanks to all who responded to my questions about the key less and security systems.

I was at the dealership this morning to pick up my 2002 ForesterL after its first oil change and my sales rep said they could install the Subaru key less/security system for $295 parts and labor. How does this price sound to anyone?

I've seen Viper and Clifford systems advertised at local sound & security shops for $199-$250.

My concerns are the quality of the Subaru equipment and being reluctant to take it to an after market shop and have some guy who's never seen a Subaru under my dash. Any thoughts or feedback would be much appreciated. And speaking of which, I'm am so glad that I found this site. What a great resource this is for all of us 'Subie' owners!

-Donn
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    This Commando unit, with the help of the Subaru Service Manuals and a 2 plugs purchased separately, plugged into where the "genuine Subaru" entry did. Was very easy(with the proper prepwork). Dealer Mechanic was impressed and "interested" as they could markup and make a few more dollars as Subaru dealers in the past have done with Radios, Racks and other OEM Dealer installed "options" I have seen on Subaru's since my first '78 DL.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Donn,

Have you tried calling any other dealers in the area to see what the going rate is on the installation?

The Subaru "factory" alarm is just a re-branded alarm from a major company, much like the audio. If memory serves me right, it's an Alpine. While it's not the top of the line alarm, it's decent and does the job.

For the ultimate in security, you should be looking at LoJacks.

Yes, isn't this a great resource!

Ken
    Depends where you live. If you live in an urban center, by the time you realize your car is gone (in the morning) the car is liberally spread across a 3 state region, boxed up (after removal of Lojack) and read to go to south america. My dad was a professor at night in a local prison here in NYC, he asked the guy in for Grand Theft Auto what is the best protection. The answer was a cut switch. He said a cut switch will stop kids from joyriding your car. Any professional will just walk off with your car no questions asked. He'll use a flatbed, or other means to haul it away. Besides subarus are such a small market share they don't have a big aftermarket parts sector.

-mike
  • maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    Okay guys, I know I said I was going to post on how the forester handled with the snow here in Buffalo once I got up here...well, long story short, there hasn't been enough of the white stuff to do any real testing. so far with the few dustings we have had (< 2") the forester has gone through it like it wasn't even there. sweet, excellent traction with the Dueller ATs. I have been waiting and waiting but to no avail for the big storm. Oh well, I am a bit disappointed, but the winter has just begun, I am sure we'll get some more power sooner or later.

laters
    mike
    May be, those who got their Foresters with security system (factory installed) can help me out here.
    I installed the subaru security system a couple of weeks back, and would like to set shock sensor sensitivity. As of now, if I try to open door (usual way - using door handles) the alarm is not triggered. However, if I strike any part of the vehicle firmly, it does trigger the alarm.

Is this how it is suppose to function? Or, should it set off the alarm if one tries open the door using handles. I don't want to make it too sensitive and set off false alarms. My neighbour's Montero sport, sets off alarm even if a squirrel jumps on the vehicle. Other folks in our apartment complex hate the owner because of this nuisance.

Thanks in advance
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    $39 is a steal for keyless. I like paisan's "reversable" argument. If you can take it off with no trace, it'll be covered under warranty.

Forester teaser? Gotta go check.

Mike: I liked the Duelers, too.

Check out the movie "In the Bedroom". A Forester L, green like mine, plays a supporting actress role. It's even the topic of conversation for an entire scene, with an SUV debate and all. In the next scene they drive off in the Forester. Really cool.

-juice
  • jim_loves_carsjim_loves_cars Member Posts: 190
    Just checked out the teaser site for Japan's 2003 Forester. I can't wait for February 5th!

Anyone notice on the "Wednesday" page that the steering wheel looks suspiciously like the Momo wheel found in the WRX? This along with the white-faced gauges makes me think the new Forester might be packing some extra juice.

Or is this just wishful thinking on my part...:)
  • pal086pal086 Member Posts: 33
    I haven't tried this since, but when we got our car from the dealer, she showed us that while the alarm is activated, if you try to open the door with your keys through the door handle, the alarm goes off.
    (actually she was demonstarting what to do if the batteries on our remote entry fob dies or is lost and we need to open the door manually)

I think you can check up what the alrm system can do by looking in to the Owner's manual -- there will probably be a section on the alarm system even if you did not buy the car with one.

Juice -- I had noticed the Forester in that movie too (probably even wrote about it on this board). But how did you figure it was a L ? The S also comes in green with cladding.....
  • sierratripsierratrip Member Posts: 53
    Cyberpirate:
    The shock sensor on my wife's Viper system works as follows. If you bang on a part of the car as though you were trying to break a window or punch out the key hole with a screwdriver, it activates. A nice feature considering that it may stop someone before they get in,
    grab whatever, and are gone. As far as stopping a pro from actually stealing your car probably not much help. I do like the fact that most complete car alarms today seem to have an ignition kill feature. If the alarm is not disarmed you cannot start the car.

Kens: Yes and thanks. The other dealer in my area quoted me a price $200 bucks higher!

Does anyone know if the Subaru Security system comes with shock sensor and/or ignition kill?
    If so I'll probably have the dealer do it, even though they always seem very fuzzy about any Subaru questions I have.. they're also a Chevy dealer which I think accounts for about 97% of their business.

Thanks to all!

-Donn
    Jim,

Yes, I noticed the interior too. I'm not suprised considering that the Forester is, and looks like it will continue to be, based on the Impreza. The interior trim on the current Forester and the previous generation (GC8) Impreza have lots of common parts.

I do have a feeling that the Momo steering wheel might be reserved for the the top of the line model.

Ken
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    The cladding on the L is black rather than the titanium of the S.

Ross
  • declansdaddeclansdad Member Posts: 120
    Donn: I got the upgraded security on my '00 forester S and it does have a shock sensor and a "kill" switch. The shock sensor is adjustable, although Subaru has preset it in the middle of the Min. & Max. range. This shock sensor is nice b/c it will not go off in thunderstorms, like my other car did.

Michael
  • rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    I'm looking for a seat cover for the back 60/40 split seat for our Forester L. Hitting the local auto store didn't give much choice, only 60/40 for trucks. Tried Walmart, Kmart not much better. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    If you have access to Mexican/Southwestern stuff, here's what we did: Saddleblankets! They are about 60"x30" and come in all kinds of colors and styles. We got basic saddleblankets -- "hogan rugs" is another name -- for $10.00 here (Las Cruces, NM). They are pretty thick and substantial and come with thick horizontal stripes and some interesting details in the corners. It's tough to get any two to match exactly, but you can get them almost identical. My wife did that for her Justy years ago and carried it over to her Mustang. We covered our Forester's front seats with a gray and aqua stripped set, just a fold and tuck job, and they look fantastic, like they were made to go with the gray interior. I bet that two blankets could be fitted to the 60/40 split too -- and I'm seriously considering trying it. There might have to be some cutting and sewing of holes for the headrests, or just cover them like we did on the front seats.

And if you want to spend more, there are the blankets we could have gotten for $20.00 a piece, they have really nice patterns on them, interesting and colorful,very Southwestern, in wool. A rather tight, hard weave. I'm not selling anything, and certainly not offering a buying service -- just describing what we've seen and considered. ---Actually, anything about 60"x30" that is substantial and visually interesting will do it. And you can go to more trouble than we did to fit it. My wife had an elastic set-up with fasteners and so-forth when she put the saddleblankets in her Justy. She abandoned that in the Mustang. And we carried that care-free feeling with the Forester.

Anyway, twenty or fourty bucks beats the seatcovers at Pep-Boys or Wally-World all black and blue.

The other tip is for the cargo area. We bought a laundry basket at Wally-World (Wal-Mart to the general public)and used bungy cords that are about twenty-four inches long to fasten it down to the cargo loops provided. It works great: no more stuff sliding around in the back. The basket holds stuff and the bungy cords create quandrants that keep things from sliding around.

For what is worth to you...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Saddleblankets!

Wonderful idea!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
  • rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    that's a great idea and we'll check it out. We're in Oregon so no problem finding saddleblankets, and even if I did, there's always the 'Net!

Thanks
    R
    I'm not certain, actually. The cladding looked like black plastic, unpainted, like mine. But then the alloys sort of did look big, probably 16" and not 15". Strange.

It had the front nudge bar, which was usually put on S models (loaded up). Anyone going to see it again, check it out closely, OK?

-juice
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    Some of the changes I see in the wire diagram are a more slanted, longer windshield and A-pillar, and a sturdier C pillar with more room aft of the third window.

I interpret this as more space front to back, which may have been accomplished simply using the new Impreza platform or a stretched Impreza platform. The width could easily be 1" to 1 ½ " more than in the previous model without going to the Legacy platform. It also looks to me as if the wheel wells are intruding less into the cargo area, and there is a longer (deeper) cargo area.

The wider C-pillar is reminiscent of the new Impreza and is most likely necessary for improved structural rigidity. It also gives the car a more modern, less bus-like appearance (although it will create a blind spot).

Just a few more days…

- D.
  • steeplesteeple Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a used 98 Forester w/45m
    S-model. Automatic w/leather. Are there any common problems with this model? Have never owned an Subaru? Thanks in advance
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Sorry - I won't be in the office on Monday, but I can check on Tuesday. If you want, call the 800 number again and ask the Rep. to e-mail me the case information (I'll be checking e-mail). Please advise them that I requested for you to do this via Edmunds.

Otherwise, I'll try to find your file on Monday to see what I can do. For the most part, Reps. visit dealers on a monthly basis, but they have been attending a lot of meetings related to new product information, corporate direction for 2K2, etc.

I'll be in touch!

Patti
    Quirks: Subaru's reliablity has been above average all across their line up.
    However, you might want to make sure that the vehicle has been maintained, and serviced regularly. Some folks who lease vehicles, don't maintain it well. While some of them don't want to shell out money on the vehicle that do not own, others are too innocent to understand technicalities.
    A friend of mine was shopping for a used accord. One owner had never rotated her tires since she bought it (three yr. old car). My office admin's VW has 'Change Oil' light on for nearly over 6 mos now. She has been postponing it forever. I keep bugging her that the car may break down some day soon;) Simple things like this could cost more in long run.

Make sure you talk to the owner, and get the service history before you make a decision.

My 0.02$...

Good luck!!!
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    Looking at the Saturday picture, I think the back hatch entrance is bigger. The intrusions in to the sides for the back lights are smaller -- therefore, different/narrower lights -- and a bigger opening. But I got the impression that the whole cargo box is bigger. Of course, they could be using small people as models: Micky Mantle comes to mind in that regard.
    The Mag-X article mentioned that the rear license plate has been moved up onto the hatch, from the rear bumper. Their sketch shows that too. Judging by the "Sat." page, I think they're right. Even though there is little of the rear bumper unveiled, I think there is enough shown to make that assumption.

As to size, I think the car is probably "marginally" larger than the current one. I'm hoping, that with some clever engineering, that will translate in to at least "moderate" gains in terms of interior space, especially for rear seat passengers. I'm hoping that we may again see some sort of reclining rear seat&#151;but better executed than that found on the '98-'00 North American models. Also, a sliding rear seat, like that found on the new CRV and RAV4 would be much appreciated too.

Bob
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    anyone translate what each of those pages says (mon-sun)?

<drool> http://www.subaru.co.jp/legacy/c/c1/c1_k03.htm

-Brian

That new B-4 is gorgeous!

I think Ken is the only "regular" here who can translate Japanese. My guess is the copy, like the images, is written to "tease," not inform...

Bob
  • jimmyj1945jimmyj1945 Member Posts: 141
    From the picture alone, I'm ready to buy one! Beautiful blue and the right size/power. Where do I sign up Patti?

Jim
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    also was a black wagon somewhere there too that caught my eye, but that blue B4 as Bob said is GORGEOUS.

-Brian
  • jbeckrjbeckr Member Posts: 21
    I test drove a Forester S last weekend and was impressed. Does anybody know when the new Forester will be available for sale?
    Yes, the copy on the teaser site for the new Forester has absolutely no useful information on it. It's a lot of fluff -- for example "Monday" goes something like "I drive into work directly from the ski resort. The borderless nature of the Forester energizes me...". I think you get the idea.

As with all new Subaru models, the earliest you can expect to see them at dealers is the end of the summer.

Ken
  • allhorizonallhorizon Member Posts: 483
    So, does the license plate (Stuttgart/Germany) indicate the next manufacturer Subaru is taking on?

- D.
  • canadatwocanadatwo Member Posts: 198
    maybe for the Forester.

but last year, the 2002 Impreza was on the delaer lots in May.
    If we are lucky. Most likely in Sept.

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Where were all you end of summer predictors back in July/August when I was the sole voice saying summer 02 while everyone else was espousing early spring?

-Frank P.
    But no product updates from subaru ever come out in spring with the exception of the re-modeled forester, and the WRX.

-mike
    Less wheel well intrusion? Does that mean we get the multilink rear suspension? Hope so.

James: I have a '98, but it's an L. 43k miles on mine.

No major quirks, just make sure it rides quietly and smoothly. If the wheel bearings are bad, you'll hear it, no doubt. Same for any pinging or axle/gear whine (not common, but issues to check out). If it operates smoothly, you ought to be fine. 45k miles means you still have some powertrain warranty left over, too.

Ask for maintenance records. By 45k the only major service would be the 30k service, so ask for receipts. Check the tires to see if they are evenly worn (if not, alignment may be bad or even the frame may have been damaged).

Other than that, I love my '98 and don't regret buying it for a second.

-juice
  • adanneadanne Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if there are any other style grilles that could be ordered for the 2000 Forester. I like the vehicle very much, expect the look of the grille. Are they any after market products that anyone knows of?
This discussion has been closed.