Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vibration

Comments

• vickytoria3112vickytoria3112 Member Posts: 5
    Have them check the rear motor mount. Sometimes it goes bad from all the vibrations. If you have ECO, then make sure they plugged the wire back in. ECO wiring is attached to rear motor mount.

Has happened to plenty of Ody owners.

Good Luck waiting on the solution. Honda has a reputation on their disgusting transmissions since 1995.

Too bad I found out after purchasing one.

Toyota sounds nice right a bout now.
  • vickytoria3112vickytoria3112 Member Posts: 5
    If still under warranty and for those that don't have the juddering, I would still pull for the update, get the judders, have torque converter replaced, make sure they check out the rear motor mount, realign the tires, and make sure all done before warranty expires.

I would definitely not pay $2000+ for Honda's engineering problem. And that's just the torque converter job.
  • deeleedeelee Member Posts: 35
    vickytoria, I would ask all who have this problem to read back some pages on this forum. These matters have been thoroughly discussed and this bulletin along with others are posted. I understand your anger and have felt that same anger many times with this 2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L we bought with 20,000 miles on it. We just got back from a 2000,00 mile trip with the new torque converter and the van is still driving like new, crossing our fingers! We have 44,000 miles on it now. I don't understand what repeatedly replacing transmission fluid is going to help. This is a mechanical defect made by Honda. We also had something wrong with the steering column when we first got this van. It was making a clunking sound at low speeds.Come to find out there was a bulletin out on that which they fixed by lubricating the steering column, I think? It stopped after that. Thanks for the mention on the rear motor mount. Something has been rattling in the rear area of the car and we cannot figure it out. This may be the problem. I will have this checked out promptly. Good Luck Sweetie, I understand you really have your hands full. God Bless, Deelee
  • tigernptigernp Member Posts: 2
    I also had this vibration which the dealership decided to fix with a transmission flush and new wheel bearings on the front. The van which is a 2007 EXL drove great for exactly 4 days and on the 5th I was unable to crank in my garage. I thought oh great the battery now, had AAA jump it went to Sam's to have the battery replaced and guess what the battery tested normal. The van drove around fine all day then the next morning bam won't start again. Jumped the van then my husband came back inside to grab his coffee and wash hands then opened the door and found our garage filled with white smoke-no fire visible so he backed out of garage and we could not see any source of the smoke. He drove it to the dealer where they promptly decided nothing was wrong with the van-battery or alternator and Their suggestion was to leave it overnight and they would start it the next morning to replicate the problem. Left it-got a call the next day that the van started, but they were running tests to see what might have caused the problem.. They kept it all day decided nothing was wrong with the van or the battery and told us to pick it up. When we went to get it they had sliced a front driver side tire and scraped our rim, initially saying it was on a test drive but now say it happened taking the car off the rack. They did replace the tire and plan to fix the rim. Anyway we took the car home, parked it in the garage and were done. The next morning got up tried to start van -dead again. Jumped the van again and about 2 minutes afterwards heard a gush of air and saw a white cloud of smoke come out from the sides of the engine area-then it was gone. We took the van out of the garage and let it sit in driveway to run and charge battery. After a while we noticed the Air conditioner not working. Fan blows, but no cold air. Aggravated doesn't describe my feelings at this point. Monday (the next day) I call the dealership and have it towed to them-they decide it is a bad cell in the battery so replace the battery under warranty and announce the A/C problem is related to a phantom rock hitting the condenser which is not covered under warranty. I spoke to the manager and took the van home planning to have this worked on at another dealership as I am not convinced they didn't cause all of these problems with their attempt to fix the judder. Anyway, left town for 5 days and now the van is dead in my garage again! Obviously the battery was not the problem. Anyone else had anything like this occur after the vibration work?
  • doing_researchdoing_research Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Just in case you have purchased a Honda already and it is still under regular warranty, consider purchasing an extended HondaCare warranty, which you can only do before the normal 3yr/36k mi warranty expires. I got my warranty just before the 36K mi mark, so it's covered until the mileage hits 95,970. Check online for best pricing. I am glad I did, since it is now saving me lots of $ for a torque converter replacement on my EXL.
  • doing_researchdoing_research Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Thank you very much for posting this service bulletin. My Honda will need have a replacement done within the next couple of days after going through many hassles, trips to the dealership and lots of frustration and wasted time. The Honda dealership made it appear as if they were doing so much for me and stated they first need to get the approval from Honda Corp to do this large job etc. Now reading this, I just want to throw up, since they fed me so much garbage and I am really upset. This document is great information! Thanks!
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    2007 Odyssey. 27,000 miles. Tried multiple times to get the shudder fixed as of 5,000 mile failure. Had ECM recal and torque converter replaced as per TSB. Judder still present. Filed lemon claim. Lost case due to incompitent BBB arbitrators. Still trying to get if fixed. I think i may be being blacklisted. Guess i will have to get a good attorney and file a breach of warranty suite. Anyone know if there may be a class action on this defect?
    I have a 2007 Odyssey also and I had the torque converter replaced a couple of thousand miles ago and mine is still okay. How long if any miles did it take for the torque converter to fail? I haven't heard anything about a real class action. I have heard many people on this website asking and hoping to hear of one. I have 45,000 miles on my van and the warranty will only last another 15,000. It really sucks to have to worry about this all the time. I have been following this forum for a few months. You will have attorney costs and if anyone would take it on contingency, because of trying to fight such a giant company as Honda. I'm beginning to think that the whole transmission needs replaced and they don't want to spend the money to fix it! Deelee
  • unlsingerunlsinger Member Posts: 3
    After we had the TC replaced? It was only a week before we could tell it was doing "it" again. we took it back and they said they updated some software or something. it is still doing it. my husband is going to have to handle it from now on because everytime i go in there they just sort of pat me on the head, hand me some free coffee and tell me they "can't replicate" it. grrrr.... :lemon:
  • sreisssreiss Member Posts: 65
    I had my TC replaced and was not initially convinced it was fixed. I wasn't sure if it was that I was being hypersensitive about it, since it was quite annoying before I got it fixed, so I wasn't sure if I was just interpreting every single thing as evidence that it wasn't resolved. It was definitely better, but I wasn't convinced it was resolved.

I did read hear that the vehicle adapts over time to your driving style - can't say for sure if that is true or not - but it is plausible that the software adjusts based on whatever the last 'n' miles have been like. I decided to let it go for 1,000 miles, and then see.

After I waited, I do have a sense that it is fixed. I don't notice it anywhere near like I used to. My biggest concern at this point is that I don't have any confidence that it won't happen again. My reason for the concern is that I don't have the impression that it was a manufacturing problem, or wear and tear. I have the impression that it is a fundamental design problem.

I am very likely to get the extended warranty to address future problems since other than this we like the vehicle very much. Frustrating to have to spend more to protect yourself since one of the big Honda benefits for me over the years has been their extremely high reliability. But - cheaper than a new vehicle.
    edited May 2010
    Ours started to judder within 50 miles of leaving the dealership. I see no improvement at all. When the dust finally settles on this isssue it's going to be a whopper. Everything Honda has sold or is selling inc. 2010 models with a V-6 engine is having this issue. Odyssey, Ridgeline, Pilot, Accord and the entire Acura
    V-6 line. there is almost an identical TSB on the Acure MDX. I can't believe Honda has had the guts to keep building and selling what are truly vehicles with defectively designed transmissions. The should have to buy every one of them back and have to send them to salvage. But of course if the issue goes to class action all they will get is a scolding and the owners will get a warranty extension.
  • claim5claim5 Member Posts: 22
    Back last summer and fall, I documented here my experiences with the 07 EX-L and the superb repair job done by Schaumburg Honda. I have been on several long trips, much city driving in the Chicago area, and am at about 32K miles now. The torque converter replacement was done last Sept/Oct and my van is still running like new. 18/city and 28/hwy running every couple of months between Chicago and St. Paul.

I was going to buy a new one, but mine is running so well I'm afraid of buying a dud.

Good luck to you all! :shades:
    edited May 2010
    Claim5: Not a bad idea. I have seen post where people have traded up to 2010 models and have the judder after 5,000 miles. I have also read that Honda's ATF is breaking down and should be changed at about that mileage. I have also read, if you're out of powertrain warranty flushing the tranny and switching to mobil-1 or amsoil ATF will take care of the judder issue. Has anyone tried either?
    Talked to HONDA service manager yesterday. Seems there is another PCM program update availabe as of last week. Taking my Odyssey in this afternoon.
    Wish me luck.

Will post results later.
  • 17norway17norway Member Posts: 1
    Yes I have a 2005 Odyssey/ Honda Touring and it has 90K on it now. I have had this vibration for several months or more without time to ask! I noticed it has become worse so! I just took it in for other issues and they gave me the software update joke to fix the vibration. NO GO! I am glad that this posting is here for refererance, since I now know to have them look at other things. Like the ECO and Engine mounts! I still have a Honda extended warranty, so I hope this will be covered? I am not happy at all with Honda after the terrible run flats tires, 2 faulty power steering pumps and now this...More things to do with no time as it is!
  • ciao888ciao888 Member Posts: 24
    I've had the shudder issue on my 2010 at time of purchase. See my post...

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f1085e1/237!keywords=#MSG237

Did the new software update work? Owners need to realize that while the shudder occurs damage is being done to the converter and transmission. Honda should be offering extended warranties.
    I've heard about some people putting in "Shudder-Stop", an aftermarket product that's supposed to stop the shudders in your transmission. I would highly recommend against using any aftermarket product unless :surprise: your vehicle is off-warranty.
    I got two notices from Honda, one for a PCM update for lock-up clutch function, telling me I had to take my Honda back for improved software reprogramming. NOT GONNA DO IT! Already had the torque converter replaced and it's running like new, it failed only after they reprogrammed it the first time. That was very annoying. The second letter I got was for a SAFETY RECALL of the VCM. Will talk to a tech at honda before deciding if I need to do that one or not. I'm leery of letting them mess with it when it's running and stopping perfectly.
    edited May 2010
    Bassically what the second pcm program has done is reconfiqure the shift points of the transmission to keep it from lugging in overdrive which only limits the time the torque converter is in shudder mode, so to say. The reconfiguration is now making the transmission downshift more often with the cruise on which it did not do before, No! I do not think the shudder is completely gone. I will evaluate for the summer. Dealer service manager said if another converter replacement is in order they will do so. My vehicle seems to shudder more in cold weather so i will wait and see. Honda tech at Russell Honda in Sherwood, Ar. did a sorry reinstall job. I am still finding stuff he broke, left off or failed to connect. Found a vacuum line today that he failed to reconect. Can't believe it did not activate the service engine light. I have driven the vehicle 3,000 mile now with it disconected. Disgusted totally!
  • mdarlamdarla Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I am having a 07 Odyssey, couple of months back my TC was replaced, but I started having the judder problem, I took the van to the dealer couple of times, but they couldnt figure it out, so finally Honda had 2 other recalls about the soft brake and PCM update, after these are applied, looks ok, but still feel that, while slowing down, I feel little judder before I brake , and also when I am slowing down and pick up speed, I feel that the transmission isnt smooth, but when I take to the dealer, they are not able to identify the problems, I think unless Honda releases some fix for that, or atleast some software update, these dealers cannot fix those issues, hope fully some one in Honda are working on these issues.

Darla
    I honestly don't think there will ever be a true and complete fix. I think it would require a complete redesign of the transmission which Honda will never do. We are just stuck with a faulty design. (lemon) I will probibally keep our Odyssey as long as in warranty and then dump it. Never another Honda although we currently own two.
    Agree with you 100%. I suspect a design issue with T/C that's why software updates and T/C replacements will not work in the long run. Shudder was likely always there but not noticed by many. On my 2010 it was noticed right away. Dealer told me the shudder for which the Product Update was issued last year was "violent". So far HONDA CANADA is doing nothing for me.

Do you or anyone here have the product update link or a hardcopy for this second PCM update? I am trying to use an arbitration system in Canada to get HONDA to buy back their vehicle.

Thanks.
  • my07my07 Member Posts: 28
    I had the original PCM update done and that just made things worse. Had the torque converter replaced which basically got rid of the judder but trans still downshifted hard and would hunt at speed. Just had the latest PCM update done yesterday and I have to say I think this is the best the trans has felt since I leased the van almost 3 years ago. Is it perfect...no, but much better. It's a real shame that I only have 3 months left on the lease now that this appears to be resolved. For this and many other issues Honda will be at the bottom of my list.

Here's the link:

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A09-053.PDF
  • matt6288matt6288 Member Posts: 1
    I have been viewing this forum for several months. I noticed about 6 months ago I had an issue with my 2007 Odyssey. after going through most of the posts on this forum I decided to wait on taking it to the dealer just to get the run around. The Judder/transmission shifting was so bad I had to drive around town in D3. I finally took it to the dealer because of the 2 recall notices I received from them and last positive reviews from this forum on the software fix. Bottom line is so far the software update seems to be working. I am no longer noticing the judder. I will say the transmission seems to shift a little harder in 4th and 5th gear. The transmission also tends to shift later. The grade logic also seems to be improved. The biggest problem I noticed with the van is it wanted to be in 5th gear all the time.
    Regarding the dealership experience. -- they were very quick I had the brake recall, The Judder and an oil change all in a little over an hour. On the negative side, I asked them to check the Transfer case and the rear engine mount. They said #1 there are no problems with those and the software update fixes all the problems. #2 he kind of said that many have had trouble with rear motor mount. but assumed I didn't have a problem. I insisted that Honda needs to check both. I had read many places that everyone who has the judder problem ultimately has problems with T/C and rear motor mount. When I called in I mentioned this too both times they down played the internet and said only very few people had that problem and implied no on the internet knows what they are talking about. I still don't know if they check either issues I mentioned and asked if they had only that it is not noted anything is wrong so they did. good luck with the fix.
  • crd1219crd1219 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 touring with only 16,000 miles on it,started to feel a vibration, whining noise when i go above 50 mph, had first update done, still feel it, then dealer told me theirs another update, had that done also, drove it this weekend still feel it.So going to bring it back again (3rd time ) this week. Hope you don't have this problem.
    I think the vibration is not because of the software issue, probably you might want to ask the dealer to check the axles on both the sides, recently I had taken my odyssey because of a smaller judder issue, but it turned out to be there is a small vibration and they found out that the right axle on the front side there is some issue, so the dealer said once they get that in stock they would replace it.

just my thought, ask the dealer to inspect the front left and right axles, many dealers dont even pay attention of what the problem is, they just say everything is good.
  • jimbo94jimbo94 Member Posts: 1
    I had the vibration problem with my 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L..50k miles...I had just put new tires on it and noticed a vibration problem a few months later. After getting no results with balancing I begged my Mechanic to recheck the tires, He found the right front Wheel bearing was real bad and tires had low spots in them. I had him replace the front wheel bearings and I put another 4 brand new tires on. PROBLEM SOLVED..... The van rides like it did when it was brand new. Hope this helps.
    I had a small vibration, which I thought it was a judder, but after couple of visits to the dealer, finally they found out that there is issue with the right front wheel axle. so they replaced it and its fine now.
  • candyman87candyman87 Member Posts: 6
    Did anything ever become of your sevice bulletin request. I selected a link provided in a recent post on this forum, but when I routed to the page it said that I am an unauthorized viewer. Was this the bulletin you were requesting? I have an 04. Same story......
    edited August 2010
    dealer ended up replacing tc but still heard noise & vibration. after road test with mechanic, it ended up being the drivers side wheel bearing. dealer replaced TC for no reason, but no problems now.
  • jeff2957jeff2957 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Odyssey with the same exact symptoms from 40 mph and below. I had sway bar bushings replaced, and it still is there. My independent mechanic, who has taken good care of this vehicle (154 K) can't seem to figure it out. What should I do? This noise drives me crazy!! :mad:
    Btw, tires are new, and alignment and balance are current.
    Try checking the axles. you might find some thing wrong with axles.
    coz, for me they found out the problem with axle.

thanks
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    As you may know, there are recently 2 recalls. One is for soft brake pedal. The other is transmission noise. I had the dealer fix both recalls. I immediately notice the shifting pattern is different. That itself might not be an issue as they changed the transmission shifting program. However, the van is now shaking frequently (but not always) when my foot is on the gas pedal. It isn't wheel alignment or tire balancing. Anyone has the same experience? The van has only 14k miles but it's already out of the warranty.
  • tsaistsais Member Posts: 17
    How is your '07 Odyssey with 14k out of warranty? The transmission is under 5year/60000 mile warranty.

I've been waiting for a real fix for the transmission vibration problem @1400rpm/about 45mph, but I haven't seen one yet.
  • jjpcatjjpcat Member Posts: 124
    Thanks tsais. If the issue is with the transmission, then it is still under warranty. I will take it it for a diag.
  • dnicoladnicola Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to let everyone know that my torque converter was replaced October 2009. Over the past few weeks, I have been feeling the shuddering problem again! Has anyone else had the shuddering problem return?
    I also had my torque converter replaced in 2009, and have no problems at all. My dealer has tried several times to get me to let them do another software upgrade (according to recall notice) but I refused, and am better off for it. Six trips since then from Chicago to St. Paul have averaged 28 mpg, I'm very happy with my 07 Odyssey.
    43,000 miles gone, time for new tires. :)
    I had my torque converter replaced 3/6/2010. So far so good. I worry about it failing, because I know of a couple of people who have a second torque converter put in. Of course, they have a new software update a couple of months ago.They installed when I took my van in for the squishy break problem recall and didn't mention it until after they installed it without my permission. My van has been running great and I was not happy about them putting anymore of their worthless software on it. Anyway I am keeping my fingers crossed about the torque converter.
    Also had mine replaced last october. Had the second update done also. So far no shudder. Fuel economy sucks. 21.5 mpg. max freeway. Low as12.5 mpg. city. Before last update 26 mpg and 16 mpg. Will get rid of this ride after powertrain warranty expires. 07 Touring less than 36,000 miles. Has taught me to hate, hate, hate. honda.
    This was my third but no more.
  • chadinmadisonchadinmadison Member Posts: 1
    I had vibration problems on my 2005 Odyssey. It started around 60-70K miles. Finally at 86K miles my mechanic found the engine mount was bad. A VERY common problem on Odysseys apparently. Total repair = $745.00

This problem is so common according to my mechanic and the pages and pages of internet info reporting the same problem support that. Honda refuses to acknowledge the issue and will not help the customer. I guess I know I can't buy a honda ever again. I do think a class action suit should happen. If you multiply the thousands of Odysseys on the road w/ this issue by the cost of repair that averages around $1000 I'm guessing there are plenty of lawyers out there willing pursue this.

It really makes me angry because I thought Honda was one of the last few auto makers that make quality products and support their customers. What options to I have?

BTW - my brakes have been grinding loudly for 20K miles now. The mechanic says they are fine, but its common problem w/ Odyssey's from 04-08. Eventually I'll need to over haul the breaks and hubs. Power steering is getting worse and worse...also a common problem on this year of Odyssey. Power steering gives out at low speeds. I'll likely need to over haul the power steering as well. All before 100K miles. How can this be? I have a Nissan Maxima with 280K miles and I still have not had these types of problems.
  • patstl2010patstl2010 Member Posts: 1
    Can you clarify. Did the motor mount solve the problem? I've got the 2005 Touring Odyssey and sounds like same problem. My dealer first told me Torque Converter and Motor Mounts. Then I took to transmission place since Honda would not cover under warranty (79,000 miles). It's still ridiculous that a Honda should have such problems. Anyway the transmission place said no problem with transmission and the motor mounts while slightly worn, did not need replacing. Let me know.
  • sreisssreiss Member Posts: 65
    FWIW, I have a 2007 Ody and have had both the torque converter and an engine mount replaced. This was within about 2 1/2 years of having the car, and around 30,000 miles. Symptoms were juddering at about 35 mph (common problem attributed to torque converter problems) and a hard thunk on downshift. This would typically happen on a fairly rapid deceleration at, say, a stop light. A long, gradual slowing to a stop would not cause the thunk. Presumably the rapid downshift by the transmission transmitted back through the engine itself and caused it to rock.

Anyway, when I took it in for service they diagnosed the broken engine mount. Both were repaired under warranty and both have been fine for about 10 months now -- or I should say that I have not noticed the symptoms.

I agree with those noting that they were shocked to experience such a thing from a Honda. I agree. I have owned many Hondas over the last 25 years and this, by far, is the worst mechanical issue I have seen. I was motivated to get the extended warranty as a result. I am equally motivated to look at other manufacturers when it comes time to replace the Ody.
  • jpzkzjpzkz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 with 80K on it and have been monitoring the vibration problem on it. It is slowly getting worse and it is indeed the motor mount failing. When drivetrain gets under a bit of a load and the transmission has not downshifted, this is when you notice it most... this is the engine/tranny shaking as the mount is taking this stress. The part is expensive and so is labor. I've got several friends who are honda mechanics (I am as well but not for hondas) and they've told me (just as 2 Honda service advisors have) that the motor mount problem is very common on several Hondas. I agree this is really disappointing hit on Honda quality. No consumer help being offered certainly does not help.
    You need a torque converter. Insist on it! The gears are messed up and the torque converter must be replaced! Honda requires that you drive it 1000 miles with the newest software update before they will replace it. Your van shouldn't be stressing to shift gears at all!! I have been through this already. I had the torque replaced a year ago and haven't had a problem since. Make sure you have it done before the 60,000 mile end of warranty.
  • commercialguycommercialguy Member Posts: 9
    I agree with the other guy you need a torque converter. They tried the same bull on me lets replace the motor mounts at $950 a pop and see if it corrects the problem. The motor mounts are probably broken also but they are not causing the problem most likely. The torque converter solved my problem. Good way to do a cheap test is put some Shudder Stop in and if that helps control the shudder then it's your torque converter. Honda will not put in additives which I understand there reasoning for fixes, but I find absurd if it could be a quick diagnostic tool! If the torque converter destroyed you motor mounts, then it makes no sense to replace them and have them go again. By the way my 05 Odyssey with the"bad Motor Mount" works fine now that the torque converter has been replaced. I went to 2 outside mechanics and brought a pile of paper to the dealership and they succumbed to my request for a converter, which they made me pay half. Still pissed about paying.....
    Thanks, Honda did replace torque converter, but it turned out to be the wheel bearing, after I still the noise,vibration after they replaced the torque converter.
    Be careful about putting any fluids other than Honda into your transmission. If you tell them or they see a change in the color of the fluid it will null and void any warranty on it.
  • karynokaryno Member Posts: 2
    We just experienced the same problem with our '05, shuddering, need a new torque converter. We filed a complaint with Honda, and they called saying they will pay $1000 of the $2500 quote. They were tight lipped about how common the problem was and if there would be a recall, but claim if there is, we would be entitled to our money back. Anyone receiving any other type of reimbursement?
    Ask them about warranty claims for this issue. Ask them about the Tech Line Summary ATS 100201 and tell them they have a design issue as noted in their SB 09-053. The TSB was updated and state that if software programming doesn't fix TC shudder, a new one is required.
  • gabe02878gabe02878 Member Posts: 1
    three weeks ago brought my 2005 w 74K in to Honda w same shudder in the 30-40mph range. techs there used to be ford truck techs and they recognized it as similar to what ford went thru several years ago AND honda's recommended fix only w newer 2007s on is to replaced the fluid w a newer fluid to see if it would fix it. skeptical but had it power-flushed w new fluid for $288 and it immediately reduce to negligible the shudder!! altho not convinced this will cure shudder for very long, it has for now. curious to find if anyone just changing motor mounts, if that alone could be a solution?
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    The shuddering is not from bad engine mounts. We had collapsed engine mounts earlier in the life of our Odyssey and no shuddering issues.

The problem is the torque converter. Unfortunately, you will receive the same defective design when it gets replaced. And Yes it will fail again in another 50-75k miles.

Honda was replacing transmissions under the class action law suit with the same defective design - just rebuilt units. It was a smart strategy on their part because no money was spent on re-design or re-manufacturing.

Some day all of the hidden Honda "goodwill" repairs for major mechanical failures will eventually reach Consumer Reports and the public.