Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vibration

Comments

• ciao888ciao888 Member Posts: 24
    Anyone check to see if the shudder on the TC has been corrected on 2011? Just hold RPM steady at about 1400 and speed steady to check for shudder.
  • tvh1tvh1 Member Posts: 1
    Same problem for me. Replaced rear mounts and two days later replaced TC. I will not be purchasing a Honda again. I paid a ton if money to get a great car. Too bad the company behind it has no integrity.
  • deeleedeelee Member Posts: 35
    If you check message 242 & 324 their are two people who complained about the 2010
    model. I haven't heard about 2011 models yet.
    It is now official, product update for the 2010 Odyssey comes a year after my complaints.

I'm gonna test drive a 2011 and see if they fixed it.
  • odysseyjunkodysseyjunk Member Posts: 1
    This poster has it right. My Ody vibrates at initial acceleration, and around 15, 30 and 45 MPH right after downshift (high engine loads at low RPM). The resonant vibration (accompanied by an irritating low and oscillating hum) causes the whole car to vibrate to include a harmonic vibration of the exhaust plumbing that makes a NASTY sound. Replaced TC, replaced all the (destroyed) mounts, lots of tweaks, all on warranty, but it was putting a band aid on cancer. I thought we had a lemon. Test drove another 07 tonight, and...same problem! The salesman was shocked when I demod it - nobody in a test drive ever stabilizes at those speeds - they are busy accelerating and braking, as I was 2 yrs ago. The service manager, when I told him the car was junk and I was selling it, finally gave it up that this is a "characteristic" of the car. BAD DESIGN and ENGINEERING. No fix. Would basically require a complete retool - BILLIONS$$$ for Honda. Sell now - this problem will destroy the car from inside out.
  • skiran5973skiran5973 Member Posts: 1
    Hi:

Can you tell me how you filed a complaint with honda?

Thanks
    Sriram
  • silverado77silverado77 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Odyssey, 18,000mi on it, no judder or any problem until I took it last week for an oil change to the dealership and they said, by the way, we did the transmission software update it needed. So I said OK. And as I'm driving out the dealership the van felt different, it wouldn't accelerate as sharp as always. Then a few days later I'm driving with the family going trough some hills and it was feeling that it wouldn't shift down when needed but late, or I would have to push it more for it to do it, before it would shift up and down easily and maintain the speed.) It definitely feels slower and know it judders a little bit. I'm planning to take it back.
    I need opinions?
    Poor Guy! That really sucks. The nerve of them, doing that without consulting you. I would be furious!!! I have had the problem since day one and they gave one worthless software update after another before they finally replaced the torque converter. Which is what I told them it needed in the first place. My 2007 van has been fine since. One year and counting. From what I've read, it will reoccur after 30-50,000 miles. My car will be out of warranty, but once you have this issue it is my understanding that they have to continue to fix it. Now that my Odyssey is running great I got the recall on the squishy brake pedal and then another on the brake seals and master cylinder?!! They kindly gave me another software update when I went back for the recall. I was mad. I told them not to do anything to my vehicle without letting me know. They gave me some crap about Honda requiring them to do it. I told them that I didn't give a xx!z0z!@. I finally got the thing running right please don't do anything to screw it up!!!
    Fight this, they have to compensate you something on their faulty transmission! they are well aware of this. Read up on the forum and you will get the whole scope.
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2011
    Had converter replaced and reprogram at 19k, 37k now and transmission is beginning shudder slightly and chuggles ( slight jerk, bump, bump, at 62 mph and 72 mph). These vehicles have or are supposed to have a varable engagement torque converter. I think the reprogram has eliminated that feature and now it's direct drive. My fuel economy went to crap after the reprogram. Vehicle has been great other than the transmission and exhaust rattle, droan. I'm thinking i may have an exhaust converter disentigration issue also. Talked to Honda service and yep they have had to replace some.
  • jonr4jonr4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey with an engine vibration problem at 45-50 mph. Problem at slower speed fixed with recall software for judder problem. Multiple service calls. Told it was characteristic of this vehicle and can't be fixed. Not buying it. Any suggestions?
    Well documented on the internet, ongoing issue for years...you'll probably need to wait for a class action lawsuit, hope that a lawyer owns one of these vehicles and finds out its a widespread issue
  • karynokaryno Member Posts: 2
    Simply contact Honda - the number is in your owners manual. Good luck, we never received more then $1000 - it still cost us over $3k.
  • hop2010hop2010 Member Posts: 1
    You have very useful information. What is the process to get the details of 1) Warranty claims 2) Tech Line Summary ATS 100201 and 3) SB 09-053. What is TSB? Thank you.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    My 2002 just had the tires rotated 2 weeks ago. I noticed just this week [fist time since the rotation] on the highway that at 121 km/hr there was a steering wheel vibration; that went away at 2-3 kmw/over. Previous ot the rotation the van was smooth as silk. I took it today to my tire supplier to have the front wheels re-balanced. They asked it I would take it for a short-fast trip and if it wasn't right to come back. I was back a half hour later. They took the tires off from the rims and turned the tires; then on a lift spun the wheels under slow power to see if there was any vibration, etc. Nothing! I took it for another drive and returned it a third time. They said to drive it for the next 5 days and if the virbration was still there on Monday or Tuesday next week to come back up. I have only paid $27 and it looks like they will not be changing me anymore to fix the problem, if they can.
  • mastertech4mastertech4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Odyssey EX-L and there has been a vibration in the steering wheel since around 15k and will go away If the tires are replaced but comes back after 15k miles and stays with the vehicle. My vehicle now has 82k miles and it's third set of tires on it , two sets of Michelins and now a set of Goodyear Assurance. The vibration is worse on light acceleration or a grade on the interstate with cruise set at 70 but my dealer says it is tires and the front end has been aligned three times, front brake rotors machined, tires rotated every three thousand miles but problem persists. Honda has velvet glove handled my problem to no resolution. No real diagnosis has been done but to switch tires off a new van and install them on my van nothing scientifically like a Chassis Analyzer or anything has been done to correct the problem. My basic feeling is Honda is concealing the problem or making a decision to do nothing about it so I am seeking input or any information possible about your experiences. I would like to say I have four years of formal school in Automotive Mechanics/Technology and 25 plus experience in auto repair/ maintenance from all levels of gas station attendant to Parts&Service Director of a large Ford dealership. I would particulary like to hear from an attorney with an eye on a class action lawsuit against Honda. The last but ironic part of this message is to the right side of this column is an advertisment for the 2011 Odyssey.
  • claim5claim5 Member Posts: 22
    Howdy mastertech4. I've got an 07 Odyssey EX-L. Eighteen months ago I had the torque converter replaced under warranty and it's been fine since then. I did replace the stock Michelin tires with Cooper CS4 touring tires (WOW what a dramatic traction increase, even better than new) at 40,000 miles last year and the brakes replaced all around. We've got about 48K miles now and no shimmy's at all. The one thing I don't let the dealer do is the latest ecm upgrade. That precipitated the first torque converter replacement. It was running fine, and immediately failed after the software "upgrade". I do think there is an inherent design flaw in the transmission, but overall I am very happy with mine.
    Likely a case of torque converter shudder. Does the light acceleration occur at around 50 MPH with engine RPM stead at about 1200? If you toggle the overdrive so it is disengaged does the vibration turn off. Do it when you feel the vibration. You may need to play around with this.
  • hatinghondahatinghonda Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2011 Honda Odyssey EL-X, under 10,000 miles, since the purchase I have an intermittant problem that begins around 35mpm where the car shudders or vibrates for a second or so, it only seems to happen on acceleration. it can happen once of multiple times throughout the drive. Of course when I try to recreate the problem it does not seem to happen with the mechanic in the car. Has anyone had a problem like this. It will happen at speeds over 55 mph as well. The dealer is not willing to spend one second investigating the issue unless I can recreate it while they are in the care. Have been back for service 3 times already trying to resolve.
  • wertzeewertzee Member Posts: 7
    The software update fixed the issue for most of us. Hopefully yours was manufactured before they came out with the update. Call your dealer and mention this software update. Good luck.

KW
  • commercialguycommercialguy Member Posts: 9
    It took me months to be able to duplicate the problem for mechanics, Here is what I had to do and I hope it works for you. Accelerate to 32-35 MPH then ease down to about 28MPH then upon slow acceleration back up to about 32 you should get your shudder. I argued with them for months about that this was the torque converter(they told me it was my motor mounts @ $950 each.), finally after I bought some Shudder Stop and the problem stopped: when I brought a pile of reports from the internet they finally changed the torque converter at approx 50% charge to me(still pissed about that). Problem solved, never another shudder.
    Stay on them and make them fix it at no charge. Look up the lemon law and take it back frequently. Don't let them keep it more than 2 days.
  • jerdesabjerdesab Member Posts: 11
    I had the exactly the same problem of vibration. Brought it to honda dealership and waited 2-3 hours. They said they fixed the problem. The following day vibration was still there. They let us waited for 3 hours for nothing. I research online and found Parts inside the transmission has to be changed. I went to another honda dealership and explained everything. They changed it and now very smooth...It is not on their recall to hide the defect of Honda. ......HONDA SUCKS!!! I will switch to toyota or nissan for my next car. Hope this helps
  • biap2006biap2006 Member Posts: 1
    http://accuratecars.com/blog/2008/11/26/excessive-engine-vibration-with-eco-on-t- he-honda-odyssey-ex-l-and-honda-odyssey-touring/

Excessive Engine Vibration with ECO on the Honda Odyssey EX-L and Honda Odyssey Touring

When American Honda introduced the current body style of the Honda Odyssey in 2005, the van had some new refinements. For the first time, many of the Honda vans included a factory sunroof, back-up cameras, and sensors in the front and rear bumpers, that notified the driver if the van was too close to a standing object, which was especially important in tight areas such as parking lots and narrow garages. The 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 Honda Odyssey has a considerable amount of additional room and creature comforts that were only dreamed about in the 1999 thru 2004 Honda Odyssey. One of the most important innovations that American Honda Motor Company incorporated into many of the Honda Odyssey vans in 2005 was the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) engine which cuts out cylinders when the are not needed, while driving at a consistent speed on a highway.

This is referred to as ECO or ECONOMY mode and it makes these Honda vans very fuel efficient when compared to their competition.

With this innovation of de-activating cylinders that are not needed, American Honda had to incorporate a rear motor mount that would dampen the added vibration of the dead cylinders while in ECO mode. This motor mount is on the Honda Odyssey EX-L and Honda Odyssey Touring models and has been known to start weakening within 50,000 miles. The weakening starts a progression of vibration and buzzing that is especially prevalent on acceleration and when the engine goes into the ECO mode.

The photo below shows a worn rear engine mount. As you can see, there is no air gap (where the arrow is pointing) so the engine block is resting on the metal part of the mount, which is connected to the frame. Because there is no cushion (support), this is where the buzzing and excessive vibration is produced.

The photo below shows the new motor mount installed. As you can see, there should be an air gap of about a 1/2 inch between the engine block and the mount (at the arrow). You can also see the darker rounded area (at the point of the yellow arrow) where the engine block was laying flat on the original failed engine mount.

As many of our readers know, here at Accurate Automotive and Accurate Auto sales, we love Honda and Acura products and we have dedicated both sales and service to Honda and Acura vehicles. With that said, while the ECO mode is a very good idea and has been successfully applied to the 2 wheel drive 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 Honda Pilots as well; American Honda should either re-think the design of this rear engine mount on the 2005 and up Honda Odyssey EX-L and Honda Odyssey Touring vans or adjust the ridiculous price of the replacement part . This rear engine mount has a shorter-than-normal life and is not currently the traditional Honda quality that American Honda has a reputation for. Currently, this is a very expensive engine mount and retail cost on this part at Accurate Automotive is $668.00 + tx, installed.

At Accurate Auto Sales we sell high quality Honda and Acura used cars. The photos in this article were taken during the replacement of the rear motor mounts involving two of our inventory vehicles. One of them was a 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L vin code 5FNRL38775B012737 and the other was a 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring (pictured above) with vin 5FNRL38805B078426. The 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L had 59,651 miles at the time of engine mount replacement and the 2005 Honda Odyssey Touring had 83,057 miles at the time of engine mount replacement. Management of Accurate Auto Sales simply was not willing to allow either of these vans to be sold to our customers with a faulty rear engine mount. Do you think any other dealer would surrender $668.00 per unit, in profit to protect the next owners best interests in a similar scenario? That is why we say, “Come in and see why www.accuratecars.com is the best place in Nashville and Middle Tennessee to purchase and service your Honda and Acura automobiles”.
    thanks for the valuable information.
  • summerbreaksummerbreak Member Posts: 4
    Yes, thank you for the valuable information and your true honesty. As a person who had premature engine mount failure and a replaced torque converter (right out of warranty), I can say that any info is a little too late for me and my dozen or so trips to the shop. My Honda van saved my life last week when I was rear-ended by a semi, but I'm taking my money and RUNNING to the nearest Toyota or Ford dealer. A full recall should have been issued, nothing less, and I'm pretty sure that will still happen and I will be lining up for my money back.
  • joesp8joesp8 Member Posts: 1
    2008 honda EXL....had the same problem when I accelerate at 50-60mph then disappears...the whole van vibrates. Brought it to Honda Friendly in Poughkeepsie NY and they suggest to do wheel alignment and change all 4 tires. I did that and I still have the problem. I will bring it back and have them check the torque converter. Hopefully this solves the problem. Thank God I signed up for 100k mile warranty...
  • dnicoladnicola Member Posts: 5
    Joe - my van did the same thing at 28,000. I had the torque converter replaced. It started shuddering again at 48,000. With only a 60,000 warranty, I played it safe and turned it in for a CR-V since the kids were getting older. I would have bought a Pilot, but I heard those were having the same problems.

I guess the rear motor mounts might have been the problem. I miss my van - it was very comfortable - but I just can't stand taking a car to the dealer over and over again.
  • bby356bby356 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    I had a 2006 Oddessy with the ECO vibration at about 35000 miles, they replaced the rear motor mount and the problem was fixed.

I now have a 2011 Honda Odyssey and I have the same problem with 19,000 miles but in addition to the vibration there is a lerch in the transmission as well. The vibration is easily felt under light load while the engine is in ECO just in the zone where it won't bump up to 6cyl. The lerch seems to come from no where and is intermittent but almost feels like an engine miss, although it is not, no codes. The vibration is loud enough that you can hear a growl when on a quite smooth road....

I called Honda of Tiffany Springs in Kansas City where I purchased this and the 5 other Hondas I owned,, they duplicated the problem, and then duplicated it to a lesser degree in a new on the lot car as well. So they called Honda tech support... survey says.. " Known Drivability Issue" suck it up and live with it, no tranny updates or torque converter software updates.

I called customer support, talked to Dave,, told him the story. I sounds very concerned and agrees that it must really be annoying to drive a 38000 dollar car that feels like its driving on rumple strips. So he calls the dealer and tech support... Survey says " Suck it Up" Known issue No Help and all of a sudden Dave isn't so concerned anymore!

At first the dealership said they would buy the car back but now that Honda won't support it they may consider it but I'll get hosed...

There answer, why not see if anyone else is having a problem with the 2011. Honda is on my list how about you?

I have asked the Dealership Managment to step in and assured them that I wouldprovide any addtional feedback from other drivers of the 2011 Odyssey that have found that the vibration is unacceptable.

I was very emphatic with Honda customer support that I will not drive this car for the next 5 years and would be getting ride of it, but that he should the folks know that do risk assessments because I will , put it on Edmunds, You Tube, seek lemon law relief and any other medium to ensure that the driving public is aware that Hondas ECO systems in Odyssey are not what they advertize. The message below is my first message to the general public.
    Can you duplicate the vibration as follows?

Likely a case of torque converter shudder. Does it occur with the light acceleration (feather the accelerator) at around 50 MPH with engine RPM stead at about 1200? If you toggle the overdrive so it is disengaged does the vibration turn off. The key is to see if you can turn off and on the vibration by toggling the overdrive.
  • dleewladleewla Member Posts: 2
    We had the vibration issue with our 2005 Odyssey. IT'd come and go and after reading all these posts we weren't sure if we should do anything. I had my van in for some other service and they were checking the van and they said they noticed that one of the front engine mounts was cracked. It was about 60000 miles when i brought it in but have no idea how long the mount was cracked. They fixed it for free under warranty. Since that time, I haven't noticed the shudder/vibration in the van. I think they said they wanted to do a s/w update too which i let them do so not sure what the cause was and if its been fixed so its kind of a mysterious enigma.
    Thank you for your post, Yes it does, light accelertion while in eco only.

Excellent suggestion with regard to the OD. I'll check it tonight. The reality is however, Honda has said they will do nothing with it, calling it a known drivability issue. My take is this. I believe it is the same type of shudder you would get in a manual transmission when the clutch shudders if you are in a higher a gear then you should be under load. In this case I think it is the torque converter shuddering. All they would have to do is adjust the computer setting to vary the load that causes the engine to switch back to six cylynders... problem is.. you do that and milage goes down,,, make it a factory change and all of a sudden that 27mpg on the sticker window goes away. I don't care about the one mile per gallon, I care about the fact that the vibration is annoying and it doesn't go away.

I would imagine that dropping it out of OD would change that by changing the load factors.. I'll repost when I test it tonight.
    I've got a service bulletin on how to check for torque converter judder and lots of documentation that this is an outstanding issue with the Odyssey's and other Honda vehicles sharing the same V6 engine platform. Tell me how your test goes.
    Tested it tonight,the transmission does not shudder with Overdrive off in the exact same conditions that would produce the shudder with OD selected. While the transmission doesn't' shudder the rpms are higher which does make a difference in the lugging on the torque converter, and it still does this lerching thing like something is grabbing. Almost feels like and engine miss but its not, I'm sure it converter lockup.

The RPM difference w/o overdrive selected is very significant, 1500 rpms at 75 mph. The engine is wound up, about 3500 or so as opposed to 1950 to 2100.

Thinking about sitting in front of the Tiffany springs dealer with a sign or calling channel 4on your side to see if I can drum up some extra ears. I have seen enough posts about the excuses Honda has been peddling to perhaps get some interest. The fact is though, I've seen enough other posts to know it is usually ineffective with Big Honda... I don't want to carry a torch, just want out from under it...

I've sent an email to Honda of Tiffany Springs GM and Service Manager and they never responded. Without resolution my only goal can be to put enough key words and post long enough to change the minds of Odyssey buyers and perhaps those looking to purchase at the Kansas City dealers.
  • liujnliujn Member Posts: 27
    My 2005 odyssey has exactly this issue since 30,000. Now at 82,000,the problem is more noticeable. This happens when car is still cold, cruise between 35 to 45 MPH on incline. Yes, RPM was low. I never had this problem after 30 minutes of driving. Also, if I turn off o/d, the problem disappears so I am certain,it has nothing to do with engine mounts. I drove stick shift before. When this problem happens, it feels exactly like drove on 5 th gear at 35 to 45 with manual transmission. Given that, I think maybe the problem is fixable with just software change. In some other cars, such as 2001-2003 Toyota rav4, when car is cold and on incline,the o/d has delay shift. That makes engine to rev really high. Early adopters of rav4 hate it so much that Toyota upgraded engine from 2.0L to 2.4L in 2004. Odyssey has 3.5L V6 engine, it shall have enough torque to deal with 5th gear at low RPM. Nevertheless,ECO on EX-L & touring models is a tricky business. I believe the combination of ECO, o/d (5 th gears at low rpm) & cold power trans, (maybe engine mounts have some roles too) caused this problem. I think replacing torque converter will work but will only resolve this issue temporarily. A true fix is to disable o/d until the power trans reaches normal operation temperate. This is done through software upgrade on engine control module which is the least expensive way to go. Well, I guess it probably is not that easy for Honda engineers to come out the best parameters to use. That is why my next car won't be Honda again. For now, I will live with the problem with the work around that was figured out by myself. Shame on you, Honda! I can see Hyundia and Kia will pass u at no time.
  • jham2005hondajham2005honda Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2005 EX-L, and have been having this problem for over a year. We did pretty much the same thing all others have -- replaced the tires, did the brakes, rotated the tires, several alignments, all to no avail. I am confident that ours is the same issue -- we will try turning off the O/D tomorrow, and I am confident we will have the same success as others. Just adding to the thread here in case a class action or recall is in the works. Honda should know better than this. I did notice on one of the earlier posts an issue with the fuel pump -- there was a recall earlier this year on those, so Honda reimbursed us for the fuel pump replacement we did earlier this year. Hopefully they will do the same with the tranny problem since it is obviously a trend.
  • car2008car2008 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same shudder issue on my 2005 Odyssey EXL which has around 98000 miles on it. The dealer quoted around $2300 to replace the torque converter.
    I called American Honda to enquire if they would consider helping on repair costs. After about a week they came back and declined any help, basically saying you are out of warranty and there is no recall on this issue. They pretty much hold the line on "we don't know if there is a trend with Ody 2005 having this issue at this time and there's nothing we can do about it".
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    We have a 2006 EXL/NAV/RES with 94k with the shuddering problem (defective torque converter).

Our Honda service adviser told me not to waste our money replacing it. He sees people come back after couple months with the shuddering again.

Once again, like the class action transmission settlement ('99-'03) Honda chooses to ignore the issue and replace defective part with like kind.

I see another class action coming up on the Odyssey again in the next couple years. It's tough to live with this problem after spending $30-40k for a new car.
    My 2007 had that problem , and in September 2009 Honda replaced the torque converter. It's been 2 years and about 45,000 miles later without any evidence of the problem recurring. Maybe I just got lucky. (lucky it was still under warranty)
  • commercialguycommercialguy Member Posts: 9
    I replaced mine over 20K miles ago and no problems. They made me pay $790 of the $1800 they said it would cost. They had also told me to replace the motor mounts for $950 each but I never did that and still no problems.
    I also had my torque converter replaced two years ago on my 2007 Honda Odyssey. It had around 45,000 miles on it at that time. I haven't had a problem since. They have also given me several software upgrades and fixed a recall on the brakes, something to do with the master cylinder. I think the software updates made it burn more gas although I couldn't prove it. I've got my fingers crossed. I have heard it didn't last for alot of people. I had to have it done. I couldn't stand it like it was. Good Luck
  • sreisssreiss Member Posts: 65
    I can 2nd or 3rd other comments here - I had this fixed (fortunately under warranty) on a 2007 Ody in January of 2010. No problems since. There have been additional software updates made when I've had it back to the dealer for other servicing. I had the broken motor mount issue fixed at the same time, and all has been well since then. Be careful that an unaddressed torque converter issue doesn't progress to snapping the rear motor mount also. For these reasons and others, I ended up buying the Honda extended warranty (nearly at the end of the 36 mos original warranty period) because my confidence in the brand was shaken very hard ... after literally 30+ years of owning various Honda models.
    Are you aware that the warranty on your 2007 was extended to sixty thousand miles because of this issue with the torque converter? If you bought the warranty before 60,000 it was still under warranty. Also since you had the torque converter replaced once you will be covered for this issue for the life of the car.
  • donthebikerdonthebiker Member Posts: 1
    Just had the Torque Converter and one engine mount replaced on my 2006 Odyssey. I took several years of persistence to get Honda to cover this repair under my Honda Extended Warranty. They would not do the repair until they could demonstrate the vibration that you discribe so after several prior failed attempts at getting the dealership to repeat the problem I drove down their and grabbed the service manager and took him for a ride. After they officially "condemned" the converter they replaced it, and while doing the repair, discovered on of the engine mounts was damaged and replaced that. Glad I was able to get this taken car of 6 months before my warranty ran out, however, I'm not convinced that this repair truly fixed the problem. I noticed today that it seemed like their was a small but continuous vibration while "lugging" up a hill at low RPM, so I will be watching and listening closely over the next few months. Considering the problems I have had with the Odyssey, which I bought new, and the Clear Coat deteriorating on my 2004 Accord, I may have to pass on a Honda the next time. Sad to say, because I have had quite a few. It's also unfortunate that the vehicles I have had the most problem with were assembled in America.
  • kcunleashedkcunleashed Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Honda Odyssey EXL, with 135k on it. For the last 5k miles, I've noticed the shuttering between 35-45mph. Taking O/D off, nothing happens. Took it to the dealership and they were more than helpful, fixing the recent recall on the master cylinder. I asked for a PCM update, and they said none was available. I asked for them to check the engine mounts (of course all of them were quoted as being bad). So, since consistency is the key, I replaced the rear and side mounts which were quoted as being "cracked". They said the front one needed replaced, but even the service advisor got the feeling like it wasn't a necessity. At the end of the day, nothing has changed, and I still have the same vibration. After all the posts, websites, complaints, phone calls, Honda has refused to fix their issue, and I'm quite disappointed. Now, apparently I am expected to have the torque converter replaced, and I truly feel this is a software issue with the VCM/PCM module. I have also started a facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/224748094257241/ and hopefully this will get some overdue recognition for the six years of failed inaction. Please join this cause if you feel that it is worthy (and for some, it's $2300 or more worthy).
  • sreisssreiss Member Posts: 65
    The full warranty was extended to 60K, or just the torque converter? I seem to recall something specific being extended but I don't recall the entire warranty being extended to 60K. My primary reason for extending the warranty was that if something this major went wrong, I did not want to take a chance on something else going terribly wrong. Basically, the cost of the extended warranty was cheaper than getting a new car, because I have completely lost trust in the quality of the engineering, which is what I believe to be at the core of this specific issue.
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    Finally got disgusted with my 07 and traded for a 2011 Toyota Highlander.
    No more Hondas. Ever! Went through the whole gambit. Torque converter replaced. Fuel economy went to HE@@. Multiple re programs. Arbitration, (a joke). Free at last. Free at last. Received another recall the other day to re program again to prevent premature trans shaft ware. Anything to keep from really fixing the trans issues.
  • loweohanaloweohana Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2006 honda odyssey certified preowned; have had it for 2 years and for a couple of mths now i've been hearing this vibration sound from the hood. i've rotated, aligned, and balanced the tires, but didn't fix the sound. i'm glad to read the problem here.
  • myvan9myvan9 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased 2012 EX-L and I am experiencing vibration and pulsating noise from engine. During my first dealer visit, I was told that the vehicle is working as designed.

Later I observed that compressor was kicking on and off very frequently and the sound was so apparent and the vibration can be felt from the floor by the passenger as well. On my second visit, after I explicitly reported about compressor problem, dealer fixed the issue and per the report, it was set at high pressure that caused the frequent cycling of compressor. However for the engine’s pulsating noise, service manager said that it was normal and this happens on ECO mode and handed over a literature on eco mode.

As a consumer, I want 36K vehicle to run smoothly or at least at the same level that I test drove the vehicle. Within 100 miles, the vehicle behavior and driving feel has changed and right now I just do not feel that I am driving a new vehicle on that particular aspect. I plan to test drive another odyssey from a different dealer to make sure if it is common symptom and accordingly plan to talk to a lemon layer .. I would appreciate if anyone else have similar issues and if they can share or shed some thoughts on how they are dealing with it ...

Thanks,
    I think the sounds and vibrations you are hearing are not normal. I have a 2007 EX-L with 53,000 miles that is still running like new. The only way I know that the eco mode is working is when the eco light comes on. I'm getting 26-30mpg on the highway. I did go through the apparently common problem early on of the juddering in the transmission after an ecm update, but the problem was solved by the dealer replacing the torque converter, and that was 3 years ago. I also replaced the stock slick Michelin's with Cooper CS4 tires which greatly increased the stability and traction on slippery surfaces, not to mention the dramatic improvement in the snow.