Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vibration

Comments

• blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    edited November 2011
    link title

Above is a link to the court documents filed for a pending class action suit against Honda for the defective torque converters.

Everyone experiencing the juddering should read this document. I've been down the same road with our '06 but finally there might be justice!
  • deeleedeelee Member Posts: 35
    I've been waiting for this for a long time.... I just read over the class action suit and the one big thing I didn't see was the fact that getting a new torque converter doesn't solve the problem for many people. One of the managers at the Honda Dealership is on his second torque converter. I got mad when they told me that I had to get the first software update and drive it for another thousand miles before I was eligible to get a torque converter. I told the manager at the dealership that I had suffered with this crap for long enough. He said his hands were tied and I should call Honda. I called Honda and some dimwit woman on the phone told me that I hadn't even given the software a chance!!! So I drove it and needless to say nothing changed and they finally replaced the torque and so far it is fine. I have been hearing a clunk in the tranny when I decelerate going down a hill. I thought I bought a great car when I purchased it. Now I feel like I got a lemon!!!
  • roy63roy63 Member Posts: 1
    finally... i m joining on this fourm... i have 06 Honda EX-L.. i bought it last 7 months ago... it was used van... it was running excellent and i m happy for my family...

until around after 3 months later.. i notice the vibrator just begin.. just tiny vibrator..i thought, it was timing belt... it was on around 85K miles....

so, i went to Honda service and they replaced new Timing Belt and water pump.. it cost me over $800...

then when the service called me that the van is ready.. i was so exciting! then i went to the service to pick up the van...

then i sat inside the van... turn it up... feel smooth.. i m happy... then when i drive this van.. less than 2 to 3 min... the damn vibrator still there!!!!!

i did replace new spark plug myself... it cost me $12 EACH!!!

then i did tried my best everything i want... rotate tires and alignment... new brake rotor and pads.. all of them!!!

the vibrator still there!!!!

today, this morning... i will going to Honda service to get Diagnosic test for my van... i hopeful, it is not Torque converter!!!!! it is sooo expensive to replace that!!! my van is just like new!!! it is 93K miles!!!!

before, i have Honda Prelude VTEC... i love this car sooo muchy... sport car!!!.. it had over 200K miles.... yes 200,000 miles.. it running soo smooth!!!! i love this car so much... so i had to trade this car for that damn Van!!!!

I hope, Honda should pay for this!!!! thank to lawsuit!!!

Roy
    06 Odyessy EX-L
    94K miles
    Most likely the dignostic test will not show anything on your torque converter. The juddering at 93k is more of an annoyance (and embarassment). I don't know the longevity of the torque converter I've been told they last 150k miles or more. Each case is different.
  • loweohanaloweohana Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for posting this. When will we receive notice about this case in the mail so we can respond to it? I'm glad someone did something. I do have a 06 Honda Odyssey and the sound gets worse and worse each day. I need to take the car in and hope Honda will fix it for free as recall as this is their fault knowing selling these cars. Where is quality check in this country? I'm thinking of buying Toyotas from now on.
  • jonr3jonr3 Member Posts: 1
    Read with interest the class action against Honda. I fought for months and finally engaged Auto BBB (Better Business Bureau) and State's Attorney's office before Honda at the last minute finally relented and replaced transmisssion and torque converter on my 2009 Odyssey for the vibration problem referenced in the lawsuit. Honda kept claiming problem was a "characteristc" of the car and I would have to live with it. Wrong! I decided to fight. The problem was never disclosed nor admitted yet obviously exists. Right before I was going to go for arbitration Honda called and asked me to meet with a Regional service representative. I did and he acknowledged immediately the problem and authorized the replacement which supposedly the local dealer is prevented from doing. Even after the agreement Honda America stepped in and unsuccessfully tried to stop the agreed to repalcement. Even after replacement, the condition still exists although admittedly not as much. However, based on other customer feedback it appears the fix will not be permanent and is likely to reoccur. I should have refused their offer and just proceeded with arbitration which I'm sure I would have won and had my purchase price refunded. I'm fortunate that I have a 7 year extended warranty so it should help somewhat with resale but nevertehless the problem will still affect me and the ultimate price I am able to get for a defective auto. I have copies of the numerous letters I sent to Honda executives and a detailed log of all my attempts to get action taken. I was put through a classic stall job. Ignore the complaint and it will finally go away. I refused to go away. I logged 22 separate contacts on this issue and that was before Honda decided to take some action. I'd be happy to provide copies of everything I have to attorneys of record if they ask. Honda should be held accountable for failure to disclose the defect both before purchase and after as problems were noticed and experienced by owners.
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    The information on this link explains the oddyssey transmissions problem in detail.
    http://www.sonnax.com/titles/overheated-honda-converters740-codes.print
  • loweohanaloweohana Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for taking such a brave action. I completely agree on standing up for the right. You did what is right. These companies need to take responsibility. Where is FTC or Consumer Protection Agency of America? They need to come through and investigate these things. Honda can't just assemble a car knowing full well its problems then sell it knowing it will make them more money when it breaks down so to take more money out of people's pockets. This is evil. It needs to be stopped by people like you. I take my hat off to you. Honda always says "it is normal" for the car to have that noise. I've heard that being said to me when I accelerated at 12mph and the car makes a certain noise, then the service guy said it is normal for the car to make such sound. Honda will go down if they keep being dishonest. My next car will be a Toyota preferably not assembled in America.
  • marcela112marcela112 Member Posts: 2
    There is a Class Action Lawsuit against Honda for the Odyssey . There is a problem on most Odyssey Transmissions and it has to do with the Torque Converter that are difective.

Link to it: http://classactionlawsuitsinthenews.com/class-action-lawsuit-complaints/honda-od- yssey-torque-converter-class-action-lawsuit-complaint/

Dont let them give you around around...until the warrenty is over and them they will tell you is the Torque Converter...and you have to pay for the repair...which is a costly repair. The transmission has to came down. The Torque Converter is bellew the engine and Transmission

You should have not have to pay for this reapir...

Mike
  • longo2longo2 Member Posts: 347
    Thought you might like to read this report from Larry Bloodworth who runs an a/t repair shop and attended a meeting of re-builders of the Honda a/t's

LARRY BLOODWORTH wrote:
    > Eric,
    >
    > While we've finally figured out the converter problem, among others, we are still debating the 3rd clutch issue. The sum of everything our industry knows about Honda/Acura problems can be found HERE.
    >
    > I believe the 3rd clutch problem is a software issue causing an overlap of 2nd clutch release and 3rd clutch apply; also the 4-3 downshift. This overlap condition is exacerbated by a lot of in-town driving where upshifts and downshifts into 3rd gear happen a lot. Most notably in the stereotypical Soccer Mom's kid bus. We rarely see 3rd gear clutch failure in Hondas that are primarily freeway driven; because they don't do a lot of shifing in and out of 3rd gear.
    >
    > The patented sonnax pressure regulator valve mentioned in the report retails for only $210 bucks. A cheaper, but more difficult to install, product that addresses the same issues is made by TransGo that I E-mailed you a while back.
    >
    > Let the Honda buffs and DIY'ers know what's up.
    >
    > I'll Keep You Posted,
  • jv1jv1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2012 EX for less than a month. Same problem, I believe. Seems to happen just before overdrive kicks in with a moderate load (slight incline). Sounds like it cycles on, but doesn't go away unless it downshifts or upshifts. This would point to a torque converter as the core problem. It is most likely locking at an rpm range that "luggs" the motor. Beside the fact that it seems completely unrefined to have this issue after purchasing the most expensive mini-van on the market, the chronic problems will be the strain on the drivetrain and problems with motor mounts from vibrations. I will drive another to verify, but I don't remember it when I drove the tester. If this is a common problem with the Odyssey, we will be stuck with it or they will issue a recall.
  • payurpayur Member Posts: 2
    I started seeing the symptoms and the issues discussed by folks here in this group on our 2008 Odyssey EXL. Initially I was getting the judder at 40-45 mph when accelerating, once a week and now it is happening at least once a day.
    This is the first complaint I have seen so far, I have around 30K miles on the van. This has been there for 2 months now

Please clarify the following:

1) How serious is the issue, should I get it fixed ASAP?
    2) Please advice what I need to do, to fix this issue. Not sure how to communicate this to dealer /car mechanic.
    I understood it to be the full warranty. I am not sure and you would have to call a Honda dealership and inquire.
  • wagner8wagner8 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2011. Has 26k at 1 yr. Started having similar problem a few months ago. Has gotten much worse recently. Brought it in for service today. They said they did. Computer update on the transmission. Haven't driven it yet so don't know if it will help. It happens like yours at about 35 mph and 45 mph. Shutters and seems to shift roughly. Also had to have rotors resurfaced. Can't imagine why. I know they had a problem because it was shuttering on braking, but my 02 Odyssey never had to have the brakes fixed and had over 100k on it. Is there a brake problem with these things too?
  • payurpayur Member Posts: 2
    Anybody from South Florida had this issue and fixed? I called 3 dealers and none of them had any customer report this problem, which is strange to me.

I do not want myself taken for a ride and end up spending more than what it costs. I would somebody to please advice if you know any dealer in South Florida who has fixed this issue.
  • fsudreyerfsudreyer Member Posts: 28
    Take the car to Rick Case Honda. They have an awesome repair facility. On a side note, I have gotten rid of my Odyssey, but Honda should be ashamed of themselves allowing this to go on and on unchecked. We had a 2006 and I started this thread a couple years ago. Wow, I still get all the emails and it still amazes me. Best of luck! :)
  • 2goldens_12goldens_1 Member Posts: 1
    I as well have a 2011 Odyssey with vibrations. They come and go all the time, but when they get very nasty, like going over rumble strips, I've lost the ability to accelerate (3 times). I also have the compressor coming on at will, when it should not, and after several attempts to fix the proplem (replace AC clutch relay, replace ac head unit), and the inability to troubleshoot, they have given up and now say that this is normal - HA! As well I have other issues with this vehicle that they cannot fix. I am in the process of going to CAMVAP. Check it out.
  • ciao888ciao888 Member Posts: 24
    I went through CAMVAP process for 2010 Odyssey, unless you can get a technical expert dont bother. Email me if you want to discuss.
  • duplexdianneduplexdianne Member Posts: 20
    Just curious if the vibration issues are also occurring with the Touring or Touring Elite models. These two have a 6-speed transmission instead of the 5-speed transmission Supposedly it makes a difference. Anyone having these issues with a Touring or Touring Elite?
    duplexdianne,

Yes the 6 speed Touring & Elite have bad torque converters.

February 2012 Motor Trend Long Test Article

2011 Odyssey Touring Elite, 6 months old, 14999 miles

"...we'll have the technicians look at the transmission as well. Over time, shifting has become rough, and occasionally upon acceleration between first and second gears, the transmission seems to be shuddering."
  • ricardo_33172ricardo_33172 Member Posts: 34
    OK, let's start. The vibration could be caused by the transmission. There is a recall for that. Take it in to get checked. If you still have a problem then it could be the front ball bearings of the wheels. Honda put very low quality bearings and they will only last about 40,000 miles. If you have less than 60,000 miles on it, they will replace them under warranty. They will only want to repalce one, I suggest that you insisit that both get replaced. The faulty bearings give you a grinding sensation that you feel through the gas pedal. I bet that the rear bearing should be bad too, but they are harder to detect.

Now, to the A/C condenser, there is an actual class action lawsuit against Honda. It is Civil Action No. 2:08-cv-4825 (KSH) (PS). For information about this you can call 877 389 4472.
    All the Odysseys are affected. There are 2 things that can cause the vibration. First there is the recall to re-program the transmission (it helped in my case) and secondly the front bearings of your wheels will not last past 40k miles. You will feel a grinding sensation through your gas pedal. If you have less than 60k miles, they will replace the bearings for free. Insist to get both bearings replaced at once. I got one replaced, drove out of the dealer and drove for a day to have to come back and get the other one done. Waste of time and by the way get ready to have problems with your A/C, it will surely happen sooner than later. There is already a class action suit going on for it.
  • tdadamchiktdadamchik Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my Odyssey on January 2, 2012 and am having the EXACT problem you are describing above. I am taking it in for service on Tuesday, January 31, 2012. I have about 1200 miles on it. In the meantime, regarding a recall, I have filed a complaint with Honda Motor Corporation and have also filed a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. The only way consumers like you and I will get any satisfaction is if we bring it to their attention. At just shy of 40K, this vehicle should feel as though it rides on glass. Honda claims it will make this right, but we must ban together to get action.

If in fact Honda knew about this problem with the redesign of the 2011 model, shame on them for staking their reputation with such a disastrous vehicle issue!

My advice, file a complaint and lets work together to get some action~
    There is a class action law suit starting. Read down and you will find the information on the forum. Too bad you didn't know before you bought it! Is your van a 2011 or 2012?
    edited February 2012
    Hi... can you send me the post where the class action lawsuit is located. (I have a 2012 EXL with Res)

UPDATE from today: Spoke to Honda Motor Company today. The woman on the phone stated that Lehigh Valley Honda informed her that there was nothing wrong with the vehicle and that this is normal. I almost blew a gasket. I informed the woman that they are lying and do they think that I am "making this up?"

I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER purchase a Honda vehicle again. Additionally, I will use every media outlet, social avenue and consumer and government agency to get this message out. If i can convince 27 people to not purchase an Odyssey at the price I did, Honda will lose over 1 million dollars. My goal is to have 1000 people not purchase a Honda based upon my message.

Honda does not believe their customers. They provide vibrating vehicles and then claim it is part of the ECO transmission.
  • surfsalterpathsurfsalterpath Member Posts: 20
    ...do it!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/224748094257241/

https://www.facebook.com/DontSettlewithHonda

http://www.dontsettlewithhonda.org/

I drive a 2008 accord and so far knock on wood have been ok with it. But nothing pisses me off more than a dealership passing the buck on problems w/ the cars they sell. Nothing!

Good luck!
  • sho_kansho_kan Member Posts: 7
    I am still catching up here. Is this a problem with 2012 Odyssey models also or just the 2011?
    I was looking into buying a 2012 odyssey soon..but now I am worried :(
    2012 also. It's the same Transmission. :(
  • mdarlamdarla Member Posts: 5
    Personally I don't prefer buying a Honda odyssey, most of the times the dealers wont accept there is a problem.

all they will say, that is the default behavior of the van/car.

do some research on other models/cars.
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    edited February 2012
    That's right and that is why this issue has gone on so long. Ran into the same thing trying to get my oddysey fixed. Could never get honda or a honda dealer to admit there was a shudder in my vehicle. Honda tells the dealer that it is normal so the dealer tells you the same thing. Apparently Honda has warranty repairs buttoned down so tight that the dealer can not initiate a repair unless Honda approves. Unless the vehicle is inoperative or the noise or defect is beyond doubt. If they do not admit there is a problem then no problem exhists and if it doesn't exist they do not have to attempt a repair. That is how they are side stepping the Magnussen Moss Warranry Act. All automobile dealers sell new vehicles with known defects. The Warranty Act is there to protect the consumer. (Its not working people.) Contact your congressman and complain.
    DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT BUY AN ODYSSEY. All these posts are exactly what I have experienced over the last week. Dealer claims that is the way the car is supposed to function. Honda corporate stated the dealer told them there is nothing wrong with the car.

UPDATE: Today, I emailed the VP of the Honda Dealership that I purchased my vehicle from. I must have caught his attention as I received a phone call in about 20 minutes following my email. The general manager of the dealership called me, but to no surprise, stated the same thing that everyone else has already told me. I do have an appointment with him next week to take him for a ride in the vibrating Odyssey. I guess it's the least I can do since they took me for a ride for close to 40 grand!

I have three children, my wife is a nurse, I am a working professional. We are rather intelligent people. I feel as though these people are treating us as though we just fell of the "turnip truck". If I tell you the car vibrates, the car vibrates.

Our second choice was a Toyota Sienna. 6 grand less with all the same feature and NONE of this [non-permissible content removed] headache!

One slice of advice that I would give you is prior to making ANY purchase, Google the kind of vehicle with the word "recall" after it. Even it there are no official recalls yet, you will hit blogs of consumers that are stating there should be a recall and you will uncover TRUE user issues if any. If you find none, that is the minivan to purchase.

GO FOR THE SIENNA!
    Read all of page 22 for all the information you need on the problem with the transmission and the class action which is in the making.
    Yes there is a brake problem. There has been a recall on the brakes. I have a 2007 and the brakes went all the way to the floor. They fixed them but still aren't right.
    Go to page 22 of the forum and read!
  • chrisb16chrisb16 Member Posts: 1
    I would be careful recommending any newer Toyota. Not for the cheap materials, shoddy build quality (I recall inside lines test sienna had a broken door with only a few miles on it) or ridiculous number of safety recalls. I had to get rid of a 2009 Corolla that was eating a quart of oil every 1000 miles and the dealer said that is normal for their vehicles. The Corolla had less than 60k on it and the dealer (walnut creek, CA Toyota) wouldn't budge on this determination even after showing them the tsb for the exact issue.
    I agree with checking on the forum about the Sienna's problems before running out and buying one. The Honda Odyssey has it hands down for comfort, but the Sienna steers easier. The Sienna do have alot of issues also. I checked on it a while back.
  • unhappyowner07unhappyowner07 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 2007 Odyssey new and it also had the transmission problem. I had to fight long and hard to get the torque converter replaced. It was good for 2 years and now the problem is back. It also has the down shift and major air conditioning problem (shutting down abruptly while driving and some substance released automatically) that I am fighting to get fixed. They basically told me they mine is no longer under warranty and I need to pay for the repair myself. Hate Honda and this will be mine last one.
    I do not know what your A/C problem is, but I have a 2007 Odyssey that the air was not cooling. Everyone wanted to charge me for replacing a valve, condenser, etc, etc. I took it to one final guy and it was a simple electric part that plugs in under the hood. Total price $35
  • surfsalterpathsurfsalterpath Member Posts: 20
    Please look on your invoice and type in what that
    "one simple electric part' was.....so we will all know what to
    look for or tell our mechanics to look for. Thanks for helping us all
    save $$$$$$!!!!

THANKS!!
  • mbtech79mbtech79 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Recently I had a Honda Odyssey mini van with a weird viberation at 45-50 mph. The dealer did the motor mounts all four wheel bearings, sparkplugs, and a rotate and ballance and was still not fixed.

REPAIR; I THEN PUT THE VEHICLE ON MY RACK AND ACCELERATED IT TO 50MPH WHILE I HAD ANOTHER TECH EXAMINE THE SOURCE. THE LF HALF SHAFT (AXLE) WAS SHAKING. I REPLACED IT AND DROVE IT AGAIN PROBLEM SOLVED.

www.calmbbmwrepair.com
  • cliff34cliff34 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Odyssey with 130k miles. In my case, I recently had timing belt, cv joints and motor mount replaced. We live in Fl where there aren't too many hills. On a trip through Ga I noticed the described vibration in Eco mode. My observation was that during acceleration up a hill (not Eco mode) everything was fine. Real-time MPG meter is showing just over 20, which isn't too bad for going up a moderate hill. After cresting the hill, the engine shifts into Eco mode and mileage jumps to over 40MPG (this is expected since we are basically coasting). About halfway down the hill, the is a definite "shift" in the engine behavior. Mileage drops to approx 20MPG while going downhill(!), and vibration picks up substantially. It feels similar to going down a mountain and downshifting to use engine braking. When starting up the next hill, it remains in Eco mode for a few seconds and the mileage drops to 10MPG in Eco mode! When the Eco mode turns off I am again seeing 20+ MPG.

To make a long story short, I get 20+ MPG going uphill when engine is firing on all cylinders. When Eco mode kicks in, I get <20MPG going downhill, with seemingly excessive vibration. I have had this 2007 Odyssey for four years and have never had this issue before. Overall mileage for the trip is approx 10% less than it was a few months ago.

Why would mileage in Eco mode be worse than in normal mode?
  • newodymannewodyman Member Posts: 1
    Looking at buying a 2008 EX-L. This thread has made me leary. It has 97000 miles on it and seems to be in great shape. Having a mechanic check it out Monday. What brought me here was that at 70-75mph it felt like the TC would engage/disengage kind of randomly. Not a shutter/judder but more just felt like it was shifting. Is that normal with the eco stuff? Is it the Variable Cylinder Management? I really like the car, I just don't want to buy into a $4k tranny problem.

TIA
    What would you risk it with the class action lawsuit due to TC issue? Should class action be successful would you be covered?
  • 01intrigue01intrigue Member Posts: 92
    Our trouble-free 2006 EX-L has 157k miles. Based on our experience, that's the VCM kicking in, then releasing. If you hit the gas a bit and get it up past 75 then the VCM disengages and the vibration-sounds go away, for us. I sometimes wish there was a disable switch on the VCM so when going at highway speeds over 75, it would not try to turn on.
  • ssedsonssedson Member Posts: 1
    Wondering how your odyssey is working currently?

We have 2006 134000 miles, shudders on occasion from 20-40 mph. I have noticed in cruise control going down hill it does not down shift.

I love my Honda and want it to last a lot longer.

Did you have the PCM Update? It sounds like some people think it is better without.

Thanks for any replies. :-)
    Traded my piece of s... 2012 Osyssey in for a 2008 Meecedes Benz Gl450. Couldn't be happier!

NEVER to own Any Honda again!

Happy trails to you.
  • wertzeewertzee Member Posts: 7
    The PCM update was necessary for my 2007 Touring. I had already gotten a new torque converter and the same issue was coming back. Every now and then I get a shudder around 40-45 mph but it is pretty rare. Going on 110k now and running great. We love our van.

KW
    Can you make the shudder happen like I do, I set vehicle at 80 -85 KM/H and feather the accelerator to maintain speed, works best on sight incline. This is on a 2010 Odyssey. Anyone know about progress on the lawsuit that was filed for this torque converter shudder?
  • claim5claim5 Member Posts: 22
    My 2007 EX-L is north of 65,000 miles and I just took the kids down to Ft. Lauderdale for spring break (from Chicago) It's still running like new, had the torque converter replaced at about 27,000 miles and everything is perfect. Averaged 30.29 mpg for the round trip. After the converter was replaced, I refused to have the "update" for the PCM and am really glad, I heard other owners had more trouble after the updates.