Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey vibration

Comments

• cja2cja2 Member Posts: 3
    Hello arekay1 (05 EL-X w 65Kmiles). I just purchased 05 EX-l W 55K miles and had same vibration, from Starting car before I bought it, I felt constant engine vibration. Driving around town under 35, same vibration, not much more. On Highway Much greater, when engine in ECO mode, Wow I thought I bought a junker but was hopefull anyhow. Had Rear engine Mount $440 replaced by dealer, Car now smooth as a honda should be. There is a TSB but intended for under warranty repair. Honda split cost w/ me I paid for install. You can check the engine mount with a helper. Raise Engine hood, Put car in Reverse and w FOOT ON BRAKE press on gas to see if rear of engine raises up a few inches (over 2") If so, your Rear motor mount could be torn and causing your problems like mine. After Replacement, when in ECO mode, you can't feel a thing. You can hear engine is different but you don't feel it anymore. Hope this helps
  • vlentzvlentz Member Posts: 9
    Had the Factory Rep ride with me today. Vibration kicked in right on time. He agrees that he feels it. States that it's normal and had me drive a 2009 LX which did the same thing. He tells me that they all do it and Honda knows it. He states that there is no fix for it or he would have it fixed. He claims that it will not cause a failure and there is no wear being done. If there is a drive train failure after the warranty runs out and it's been serviced on schedule he claims that Honda will "help me out" with a good will service. He didn't recommend the extended warranty. I can get the ext. for a thousand dollars six yrs 120,000 miles. I think it's probably worth that for peace of mind.
    My mistake was not test driving this car. I felt that it was a Honda and brand new. If I had it to do over I would have and probably not bought the car. Now I'm stuck with that problem for at least four years. Don't know if the lemon law would apply in this case as it's not a safety problem.
  • newsubifannewsubifan Member Posts: 12
    We just bought our 2008 LX Odyssey last Friday. We noticed the same problem you're having the next day. The vibrations kick in at about 50 mph. Called our dealer's service dept on Mon, they said it was flat spots in the tires and to wait it out. Called them back to have it checked the next day. They scheduled Wed., rebalanced the tires, sent it home. Problem still there, took it back the next day. They called me Fri., said they'd changed out the wheels and problem was still there and they'd need to keep it over the weekend to check the transmission and axels. Called me just 2 hours later to come get it. Their Honda rep drove it and said that it met with Hondas standards. The Service tech said all LX's do this. I just can't believe they can get away with selling a car at this low level of quality. Why are the reviews so good? You cannot take this car on the highway for any extended amount of time, especially with small children. It's got to be a health hazard.
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    i am pretty sure mine does this as well. thankfully, it is a lease and I am not stuck
    with it. as user friendly as it is, it is a big pos. It will be my last Honda.
    After reading most of your comments on the Vibration, It Seems to be comming from primarily two causes.ONE is engine Vibration cause primarily by engine and only varys with the speed of the engine. and TWO: Vibration from Speed of vehicle and varys with the speed of the vehicle ONLY. ie Wheel bearing, Drive train, etc. Try to determine which Vibration your have. The Primary, "less noticable" vibration I believe we are all feeling is caused from the VCM "feature" on the engine of EX-L and Touring Models. It will always occur when engine is not required to put out much power. Under most conditions the motor doesn't really vibrate (if your engine mounts are good). However, In VCM Mode it is running on 3 cylinders and will shake because it is now out of balance, similiar to removing 3 spark plugs out of your engine. There is no way an engine will run as smooth in this mode. However, There should be NO Vibration, EVER (no more than any other car) from time you start your car, idling in the driveway, running down the hiway or full excelleration when your Motor Mounts are GOOD. Bad mounts however, will cause the Motor will vibrate in one or all of these conditions and Need to be checked, replaced. If they are bad and your Van has ECM the Vibration Will be magnified severly. TESTING MOTOR MOUNTS: (THIS CAN BE DANGEROUS SO BE VERY CAREFUL TO KEEP FOOT ON BRAKE or have dealer check them). 1st Set Parking Brake. I find you can do check engine mounts with the help of a friend(standing on side of vehicle) to watch the engine move while you operate the van. Raise the hood up, Start Engine, While pressing HARD on the brake Put the Van in Gear and gently press on accelerator (put engine under load) till engine starts to twist forward or reverse, your helper should be watching the motor right now, Engine should twist a little when you do this, that is normal. Check Both Drive and Reverse. IF you notice motor RAISE UP a couple inches, and drop back down when you left off the accellerator, then the motor mount under that part of the engine raising up is most likely the problem. On my 05 EX-L the Back mount was shot and the whole engine raised up a few inches when doing this in Reverse. After Confirming Bad mounts and replacing, the Vibration should NOT be felt after starting the car or driving it. Most mounts are around $65. the rear one is $440, the one that took care of my problem.

Not sure if we can eliminate the "drooning" sound that is only generated by engine in VCM mode, when engine is under "low" load condition. Perhaps get a Honda van that doesn't have the VCM "Feature". However, VCM is also supposed to be getting us better gas mileage when in this mode, ie: running on 3 cylinders. If anyone Knows how to DIS-ABLE VCM Mode, Please let us know ! The gas mileage increase may outweigh the Vibration.
    Is yours a 2008 LX Odyssey? And do you notice considerabe vibration at highway speed?
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    It is an EX-L, and it is only noticeable in ECO mode at certain speeds, usually
    between 40-50mph.
    Does anyone out there know of an instrument which can measure the vibrations of a car?
    My LX doesn't have VCM. It vibrates at 1500 rpms 42 - 52 mph. The peak is at 48 mph just holding speed. When I let off it smooths right out and if I step down it smooths out.
    Vlentz,
    Though your vibration issue sounds similar to the issue we have with our 2008 LX, it may be different. Like yours, ours is very noticeable at 50 mph. But unlike yours, ours worsens with increased speed. We are in the process of trying to determine if alloy wheels will eliminate the problem, since our Service Tech told us the problem was inherant in all LX's due to the steel wheels. Any thoughts?
    It sounds like one or both front wheels are out of balance. But the fact that when you either press on the gas or let off it seems to go away. Must be something in the suspension or drive train. Is it very bad? Does it always happen or only sometimes? My 05 EX-L Also has a "chronic" steering wheel shake that comes and goes. Thankfully it is gone most of the time but does visit me at least once during a drive around the same speeds if not higher. I was so thankful to get rid of vibration caused by the motor mount the steering wheel vibration hasn't started bugging me just yet but I am sure it will. Let me know if vibration is there every time you hit that speed or jsut sometimes. Also, is it the same level of vibration each time? Is steering wheel vibrating along with the van or just in the wheel?
    newsubifan

I can reproduce my problem at any time. As soon as it goes into overdrive you can feel vibration in the gas pedal and the steering wheel. It will peak around 48 or 50 mph. As soon as you let off or increase the gas it stops. The factory rep agrees that he feel it and states that there is no fix or he would fix it. He states that it is the transmission trying to "lock in". He had me drive a 2009 LX and it did the same thing. That, he says makes it "normal" I say if he has a thousand cars that exhibit the same vibration that doesn't make it normal, that makes him having a thousand cars that are defective. American Honda called and asked about it. I told them that I felt compelled to buy the extended warranty because in my opinion there has to be wear in that drive train. I asked that they split the cost of a six year 120,000 mile zero deductible EW with me. They will "get back to me" by Wednesday (tomorrow). I'll let you know!!
  • arekay1arekay1 Member Posts: 5
    CJA2 - I had my 05 EL-X w 65Kmiles in to Honda last week. They indicated a collapsed rear engine mount. I said go ahead - but I want the old part. Its a pretty significant item - moving the part on my work bench I could feel and hear it grind and crunch. And now...... volia ! - no more vibration in the cabin.
    Previously I experienced a shudder - but I think the engine mount now has the balls to hold down the engine and suppress what previously manifested itself into a shudder. Eventhough the vibration is gone - I can detect those times when the engine is in ECO and not capable of deliverying a super smooth ride. I honestly believe the engine should (and used to) run a bit smoother - this rougher ride is what cause the mount to fail in the first place.
    But at least I don't feel like I have to sell the car. If anyone knows of other items that could smooth the ride in ECO I would love to know - however reading "vlentz - had me drive a 2009 LX which did the same thing" - maybe that's as good as it gets. I going to keep checking back to see what others find.
    Yes, I will be interested to hear if they are going to help you out at all, especially since your car is so new. Ours is brand new and our dealership, Kuhn in Tampa, both sales and service, seem to be hanging us out to dry. The service dept. closed out our warranty on the vibration issue so that if we take it to another dealer to have it checked, it is out of pocket. The sales dept offerred to buy our car back from us for $6300 less than we paid for it. We've had it for a little over a week! Our vibrations first become a true nuisance at 50 mph and get stronger with increased speed. They are felt in the steering wheel, floor and seat. A Honda case manager is supposed to call me tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.
    newsubifan
    Just heard from American Honda. They talked to the factory rep that rode with me and he stated that it was normal for this model and there was no fix available. For that reason they wouldn't offer me any assistance with the EW. I asked what percent of the settlement they would pay if the drive train failed after the warranty expired and they couldn't tell me. I feel compelled to buy the EW. The truth is even if there is no failure this car is annoying to drive. I have a $27,000 in this car and I hate driving it. I bought it brand new a couple of months ago and have had it back three times to one dealer and once to another. They all say it's normal. I will never buy another Honda. I am checking legal avenues through the lemon law but don't think it will help.
  • fsudreyerfsudreyer Member Posts: 28
    To newsubifan and all others that this forum is about.

I am the original poster of this vibration crap! After many visits to different dealerships, my van finally drives much better. I would not say perfect but more than acceptable. As other posters have said, there is a TSB about the rear engine mounts. I had those replaced. The van was better but not great. I could tell it helped. I then had to replace the factory michellins at 26k miles. That's pathetic but what can I say! I went the advice of Tire Kingdom for a "soft" ride and that tire is a Yokohama Avid. They were only $105 each. What a difference. The van drives much better. The vibration at 42-50 is completely gone. I have minimal vibration at upper highway speeds (70-85). What a difference. Hope this helps everyone. What a nightmare honda has caused. Sad if the Michellins are the leading cause.
    Vlentz,
    I am sorry to hear about American Honda. It is too bad they do not back their product. I am having a similar experience. I feel like I'm being given the run-around. I have also been told my vehicle is normal, (after it spent its first week in the shop) though my vibrations are quite different than yours. Both of our cars cannot be normal if they are doing different things -- yours with intermittent vibrations at a specified speed and mine with constant vibrations that get stronger with increased speed. My dealership also wants me to drive an LX which they say they will have ready for me when I arrive. We decided to test drive one at another dealership to investigate this. My husband is doing this as we speak. All I know is that I was sold a sub-standard vehicle which we reported as such within 1 day of ownership. We have experienced nothing but extremely poor customer service from both the dealership and Honda since. We have owned the car less than 2 weeks now. I feel your pain. However, you may be eligible to pursue the Lemon Law since your vehicle has been serviced at least 3 times (that's from FL). We were cut off at 2. We cannot take our car to another dealer for service since our dealership, Kuhn, closed out the warranty for our vibration issue. After finding no source for the vibrations, the Honda rep deemed our car within spec. I am trying to get the GM to take a drive in my car. Then he will see exactly what was sold to us. I am also trying to find a friend who might know the owner. Perhaps that will spur some action.
    We have a happy ending to our story! Our dealership, Kuhn, spent the entire day with us! First the Service Manager took us on a test drive in our LX after they replaced our steel wheels with alloys (SM's idea). Though still evident, this actually reduced the vibrations considerably, and they offerred to sell us the wheels at cost (less than $600). They also gave us the option of giving our car back and letting us buy another one. How nice is that! After driving another LX, an EX and an EX-L we went with the 2nd option. I thought the LX and EX we tested had just the normal vibrations you'd expect, and that they were a much better drive than our LX (even with the alloys). However, the EX-L had a relatively smoother, more solid and quieter ride, so we opted for that. The GM was very fair on the price. We're really pleased with the way things turned out and are very appreciative. I think that the GM may have been out of town early in the week, but once he returned and talked with us, then met with us, he made things right. I am glad they took care of us. I was not looking forward to dealing with American Honda after what I have read in this forum. Thanks for all the help everyone!
    newsubifan
    I'm very happy for you. The difference is apparently in the quality of the dealer
    that you are using. I sent in a copy of the posting about changing the tires and
    motor mounts and this is what Pohanka of Salisbury had to say..... this is the service manager of Pohanka and the factory rep that drove my car.

"After review of your suggestion, in my experience with your concern, the torque converter which is the coupler from engine to transmission makes this vibration or hum. I do not believe replacing the tires would make a difference. I will keep my eyes open for any new updates and contact you but as Bill stated there are a lot of Odyssey’s in service all with this same characteristic."
  • blackhonda1blackhonda1 Member Posts: 7
    I am glad to hear that someone has had a Happy Ending to this complete Nightmare! My issues with the vibration and shimmy is still on going. I just had the transmission, motor mounts and power steering pump replaced. Shimmy is still there just as before. This made my 25 visit and a total of 54 days that I have not had my van. I am curious what Honda Tech line will suggest now?? I do have to say the New Dealership that is servicing my van- Bartlesville Honda-- has provided excellent service each and every time I have been there. Now, for the dealership that the van was purchased-- Reddell Honda-- absolutely the worst service ever! The Service Mgr. at Bartlesville Honda has gone over and beyond to find a solution to my van shimmy issues. Still wanting Honda to replace/buy back van-- this has been a major issue to deal with over the past 18 months-- YES-- I did say 18 months! Best of luck to anyone that is experiencing the same issues as I have. :)
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Suggest to check / replace wheel bearings.
  • ohgroverohgrover Member Posts: 3
    I really don't like HONDA anymore. The next time....3 words: "TOYOTA"
  • jlindkejlindke Member Posts: 2
    I have this same transmission SHUDDER problem,, it has been going on for about a year now, i have an 05 odyssey EXL i purchased new and have driven gingerly. It has 68k miles on it, ive had it to the dealer several times but each time he rides with me it does not do it,, then on the way home, it shudders at about 40mph when changing gears into 5th. I had the fluid changed and it went away for about 1,000 miles,, now its back. Feels like hitting a washboard when it does it. I sure hope i dont end up paying for a new transmission.
    I was told last week that this is normal. If the drive train fails after the warranty runs out they claim that if it meets the following criteria they will offer me a "good will" fix. It has to be an original owner car and been serviced properly throughout. They wouldn't say what percent of the repair they would pick up. If you find out please write in and let us know. From what I see there are a lot of Odys out there with the same condition and I don't know why there wouldn't be drive train failures. That vibration has to translate to wear. I'm being told it is the torque converter trying to lock in.
  • arekay1arekay1 Member Posts: 5
    I don't know what to think anymore - I know the vehicle has the possibility to drive smooth - because at one time it did. I've changed plugs thinking it was ignition related. I had the rear engine mount replaced - and as it turns out it was actually toast, so afterwards I noticed a huge improvement in ride - but, the underlying issue was still there. The focus then turned to the torque converter...so if you're gonna do a torque converter...you may as well make extra sure and do the whole enchilada..right?....so I did, 1 rebuilt tranny, and the verdict is..........the problem its still there :( Hasn't anyone managed to find the silver built?? I'm thinking I need to go back to the dealer..................@#$%#@%.......oh that, that was my car at 49 mph!
  • aerodogutaerodogut Member Posts: 2
    I have read through many of these posts that the concern is that there is a problem with the transmission. I have a 2005 Odyssey w/ 105,000 miles. The van was vibrating when in ECO and would smooth out when I accelerated. The problem is the rear engine mount!!!! Look at this website:

AccurateCars.com

There are pictures too. The specially designed rear motor mount has a cusion that is intended to keep the vibrations from the non working cylinders in ECO mode from transmitting into the rest of the van. The motor mount cusion failed so the motor mount was essentially sitting on metal instead of air, so the vibrations transmit through the rest of the car.

This is actually relatively easy to check. If you can, jack up the car to where it is safe to get under it. If you cannot do this on your own, you can do this during your next oil change or maybe an auto shop can just put it up on a lift. If you look up at the very back of the engine, you will find a mount that looks like the one in the picture in the above link. You will also be able to see if the gap is there or if there is contact where the gap should be.
  • aerodogutaerodogut Member Posts: 2
    I have read through many of these posts that the concern is that there is a problem with the transmission. I have a 2005 Odyssey w/ 105,000 miles. The van was vibrating when in ECO and would smooth out when I accelerated. The problem is the rear engine mount!!!! Look at this website:

Link to website with pictures of engine mount.

There are pictures too. The specially designed rear motor mount has a cusion that is intended to keep the vibrations from the non working cylinders in ECO mode from transmitting into the rest of the van. The motor mount cusion failed so the motor mount was essentially sitting on metal instead of air, so the vibrations transmit through the rest of the car.

This is actually relatively easy to check. If you can, jack up the car to where it is safe to get under it. If you cannot do this on your own, you can do this during your next oil change or maybe an auto shop can just put it up on a lift. If you look up at the very back of the engine, you will find a mount that looks like the one in the picture in the above link. You will also be able to see if the gap is there or if there is contact where the gap should be.
    Vibrations Caused By Engine Mount Problem

Thanks for all the suggestions, however--this has been replaced/fixed as well. Recently had a "Honda Engineer" to deem the vehicle in normal driving operations-- however the problem still exists and is not fixed. Honda Claims department has basically told me that they have no other avenues to address or take in fixing my vehicle. Now, my only option left is to get an Attorney (which I have) to see what options I may have. Again, I can not express enough what a complete nightmare this has been to deal with over 2 years! At this point, I will not be replacing this vehicle with another Odyssey Touring! What a complete waste of money this has been on this particular "Quality" vehicle! Best of luck to those of you dealing with the same issues and I hope your issues get resolved in some form or fashion! :)
  • blountl3blountl3 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 has been vibrating for the last several months. When I accelerate, it starts vibrating and there is a low roar noise (kind of sounds like I'm driving a truck). I can let my foot off the accelerator or speed up and make the vibrations stop temporarily. I can feel the shift on my foot when I'm accelerating (kind of feels like gears slipping).

I took my 2005 Honda in (68,000 miles) for service and was told my motor mount need replacing. $650 dollars later, the problem is solved. I have since heard that it is very hard to destroy a motor mount, so I began researching this subject to see if there was some kind of defect.

After finding this blog, I would think that there is a specific problem that needs to be addressed by Honda. If anyone has any info on class action or where we can file an official complaint, please give me the info. I will definitely follow through.

Also, I have a friend who has a 2007 Honda Odyssey with less than 20,000 miles and hers just started doing the exact same thing. Fortunately, she's still under warranty, but it just seems to coincidental that we had the exact same problem.
    The following has been replaced/repaired on my 05 Touring Odyssey:
    1. Replaced rt. front knuckle, all bearings and hubs.
    2. New tires.
    3. Replaced both driveshaft assemblies
    4. Replaced both rotors.
    5. Replace exhaust pipe per bulletin.
    6.Replaced outer tie rod ends.
    7. Replaced brake pads, rotors and calipers.
    8. Replaced power steering rack assembly, tie rods and boots.
    9. Replaced transmission/transaxle
    10. Replaced Motor mounts on rear of engine.
    (All done in the past 4 months!!)

** Now for an update. Let me remind you that I just had the transmission replaced less than 2 months ago and then today, while driving down the interstate with my little ones in tow, a sluggish jerk happened and a warning came on my screen about the transmission. The "D" (drive) light was flashing and the van did not seem to change gears at all. Luckily I only drove for 15 more mins. to make it to my driveway safely. Still waiting on my attorney to follow up with me on this case. NO ONE should have to deal with such POOR QUALITY of a product!! Honestly, I can say that I would never repurchase a Honda Odyssey Van!! And anyone considering to purchase one better do some extra homework on this product!! Seems like a lot of us are dealing with transmission/vibration issues which Honda should do a recall on! I can see how concerned they are at keeping their customers happy and making sure they will return!! :mad:
    Hello!
    Good luck with getting the adequate response from Honda concerning our issues. I have been dealing with my vibration issues for over 2 years now and have not had my issues resolved even once-- not even after Honda sends an Engineer from Chicago to inspect my vehicle and everything Honda Tech Line stated to replace was replaced! I would bet the CEO's and the Engineer that "inspected" my "normal driving operations" odyssey touring would not drive 2 miles in my clunker of a Honda! They would have a new replacement, like I should have had over 2 years ago! I am seeking legal advise at this time and would suggest all who are having this particular problem to as well. Best of luck!
  • crazyvancrazyvan Member Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem as mentioned above, exactly on my '05 Touring Odyssey. My mechanic has replaced the motor mount, which they said was broken. Done. They have now replaced the Y in the exhaust as described on the Honda Bulletin. Done, yet the noise is still there. $1500 later, I have now been told it is a major engine issue with the rear cylinder head, valve train mechanism. My van has 59,000 miles and is out of warranty. The mechanic (non-Honda) has spoken with Honda and they are looking at it tomorrow. The mechanic said Honda may ask me to pay half, but encouraged me to speak with Honda CS if they do. From reading the above I do not have a very good feeling about this!
  • ranger80ranger80 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I have experienced the same vibration and slipping sensation with my '05 Odyssey EX-L . In November I had one motor mount replaced. There was a little less vibration, but it was not gone. I began doing on-line research and almost gave up hope after reading many disappointed Odyssey owners in this discussion. I came across another forum where the fix for the problem was said to be the torque converter. I had the dealer run a test on the torque converter and they said it was bad. They replaced the bad part and it runs like new again!!!! No more vibration and no more slipping sensation!!! I hope this helps!!
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    Transmission torque converter failure is the problem. Symptoms consist of shudder, vibration, delaged engagement in first and or reverse, exhaust droan, surging under light load, premature failure of engine mounts, soft brake pedal feel at stops, Honda uses a variable apply torque converter. Sticking mechanical valves in the torque converter timing valve are the problem. (do not set codes) Gives impression of VCM or Cylinder management problems. If the variable apply is not working converter goes to full engagement at to low an RPM causing lugging and vibration. Of course when the engine lugs to much then the cylinder management system kicks in and out giving the impression it occures during the ECO mode. It is actually a symptom of the torque converter management system failing. I bought a set of Honda service manuals, did some research and confirmed my suspicions with to different dealer service departments. Diagnosis is via computer snap shot and analizeing a graff while the vehicle is being driven. Have a good talk with your dealer service manager about this. Note: some or all of the above symptoms may apply depending how severe the failure.
  • my07my07 Member Posts: 28
    From reading this post it sounds like you are describing my 07 Touring. I can set the cruise control at 60 and it feels like the transmission is constantly shifting but the tach doesn't move much. I was thinking it was the VCM as it sort of coincides with the ECO light but not always. Do you have anything from Honda on how to test for this torque converter issue? My dealer just keeps telling me everything is normal (mostly based on the absence of codes in the computer).
  • ranger80ranger80 Member Posts: 3
    The "everything is normal" seems to be a common response. Ask the shop to specifically test the torque converter. Get it fixed now before the excessive vibration begins to deteriorate your engine mounts.
    Other than "Everything is Normal", it is the "Character of the car" that is how it comes with so bear with it. May be that is the content of first day of ASE101 class.
  • jet_testerjet_tester Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all for posting problems and solutions on this site. I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey that I have been fairly satisfied with. Current mileage is 36000. For the past 6000 miles or so I've been experiencing a vibration/shudder at 40-45 mph, observing engine rpms fluctuate from 1300-1600 associated with shifting into 5th gear. I have also noticed what felt like an intermittent misfire feeling at cruise speeds. I noticed this more during cold weather, more when the car was cold and more when I had the whole family in the van (600# of people). At 40-45 the problem was regularly intermittent with variations in engine rpm and an engine lugging sound (and associated vibration). Also, the best way of reproducing the problem seemed to be to get it into the sweet spot (40-45mph/1300-1500rpm) and come to a slight incline in the road requiring almost a breath of increase in the accelerator.

On my initial complaint to the dealer I got the "normal condition" line. Doesn't work with me, I test aircraft for a living and know the difference between normal and "interesting". After the first visit I did my internet research, worked on defining the problem and developed my strategy for the next visit. 1st, I needed a dealer who could hook up a computer to take a snapshot during the shudder behavior. 2nd I needed a dealership technician who had seen the problem before (very important). I found both at Scholfield East Honda in Wichita, KS.

The technician, who had experienced two Odyssey's with the same condition in the past, was able to reproduce the problem, take the snapshot and send it to Honda. The solution was to replace the torque converter. The repair took two days, the torque converter was replaced, the engine computer was updated, they cleaned out the transmission cooler lines (I have a towing package) and performed an alignment all on warranty. I picked up the van this evening and it drives "properly" again.

Hope this helps. I would definitely shop for a Honda dealer that has seen this problem before. Search out a technician who knows how to reproduce the problem.

Thanks again,
  • crazyvancrazyvan Member Posts: 2
    My original post was #83...after my mechanic has replaced the motor mount, which they said was broken. Done. They replaced the Y in the exhaust as described on the Honda Bulletin. Done, yet the noise remained. $1500 later...
    The mechanic transported it to Honda and a brilliant mechanic there solved the problem. They determined the "serpentine belt auto tensioner" needed to be replaced, Done and the vibration due to the RPMs is gone.
    I believe that if you take yours in they will need to do all 3 things to make it right, but you might be able to get away with just the serpentine belt auto tensioner for now. Good luck to you all and I am thrilled to have my Honda running with the same hummm as when I bout it in '07. :)
  • jolirujoliru Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    May I know how much did you spend to fix torque converter please? thank you.
    I have 2005 Touring that has same symptom that I just bought it from honda dealer with 84kmiles.
    thank you.
    New service bulletin from Honda. After two years of aggravation maybe I can finally get my van fixed.

A judder from the torque converter lock-up clutch may be felt while driving between 20–45 mph. To minimize the judder, a PCM A/T software update is available.
    If the judder returns sometime in the future, after the PCM A/T software is updated, the torque converter would need to be replaced.

A09-053
  • ee4lifeee4life Member Posts: 14
    I received the product update in the TSB on my 08 Touring and the issue is much better. Very little vibration vs. beforehand.
  • ddssjskddssjsk Member Posts: 26
    Well! Surprise, surprise. After saying there was no problem all this time. Have not had mine reprogrammed yet. Suspect Honda has just recalibrated the shift points
    to a different RPM to help mask the symptoms until vehicles are out of warranty.
    As ee4life stated his is not 100% corrected. I beleive the bulletin stated some torque converters will still have to be replaced. Recalibration will probabilly not correct the problem but just make it more liveable at the current time. My odyssey has had the shudder since five thousand miles. How much has the shudder damaged other transmission components and or engine mounts. Especially on higher mileage vehicles. Good luck to all.
  • ee4lifeee4life Member Posts: 14
    I don't know if all of the vibration can be removed, as there will always be some amount from the torque converter lock-up. I've driven enough Hondas and Acuras over the years and they always have some vibration. It just depends on how much there is and if it is an issue for folks, as we have experienced.

I always thought it wasn't normal, but the dealer blamed it on the VCM and ECO function and no TSB was available at the time. Then the TSB finally came out and it is now being addressed. This was handled in the same fashion as the soft brakes TSB. We experience the issue...we complain to the dealer....they say it is normal or are "unable to reproduce the issue" and we wait until a TSB is issued.

It would be nice to have Honda acknowledge the issue in a tech line summary article or service news article while they are working on the fix and TSB, so that we can at least know it is indeed an issue and that a fix is coming. I have seen them do things like this before on other issues....why not ours?

Please post your thoughts after getting the update.
  • craig1970craig1970 Member Posts: 1
    After considerable research, we found that the chip that manages when the transmission shifts was not set to shift at the correct speed...a manufacturing error. Once that was identified, our local Honda Service Manager reasearched it on his own, get the "new" chip & fixed the problem.
  • mom2madeemom2madee Member Posts: 2
    I have an 07 EX-L and I am experiencing the same shudder/vibration at low speed. Every single time I drive the car it happens. However, my dealer cant "replicate" the problem! The did do the software update hwever, upon my picking up of the car, it is now not only vibrating but lurching! I specifically asked about the rear engine mounts but they claim all is fine.

I have been looking all over the internet for a TSB concerning this problem in the 07 but unable to find it. My dealership is absolutely refusing to replace the torch convertor. Can anyone point me towards a TSB for this.

ALso, my problem starting when I reached around 20k miles. They dealership originally said it was my fuel injections and I paid $150 to have them cleaned and this didnt work. I picked up the van yesterday after the software update and it lurched on me and I turned it back around and they have it again. Please help!
    Did you read post 96? There's a link there to the SB. Anyway click on this link.

A09-053
  • mom2madeemom2madee Member Posts: 2
    I just went and re-checked post 96 and there is not clickable link there! Am I missing something??