Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Design Flaws & Foibles

2»

Comments

• Options
    rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Long-delayed tests that include subjecting tires to extreme heat may be unveiled as soon as '07.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061221/AUTO01/612210354/1148-

Rocky
  • Options
    john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Wow...my Beretta indeed did have that very same font on its odometer... :)
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    The font goes back at least to the 1940s, maybe even the 30s.
  • Options
    derrado1derrado1 Member Posts: 194
    Now, I'm Australian, so I don't see many US-market cars in the metal. However, I read American publications daily and I have a lot of information stored in my head.

I was scrolling through a message board topic the other day and I came across a picture of an SUV. Now, I know all the cars currently on sale in the US, and I could probably list all the trim levels, too. Nevertheless, this car wasn't instantly familiar. I didn't look straight at its badge, rather, I took in the rest of it and for a few seconds I thought,
    "What, is this some new Indian export or something?"

Alas, no, the SUV in question was not a Mahindra. It was in fact, a Honda Pilot.

Some people might say it's "elegant" or "simple"... "understated", perhaps "rugged", or maybe even "classic". I think it is pug-fugly. It manages to look not only dated, but also ill-proportioned, ugly and cheap. Of course, styling is subjective but if I were to make a list of the ugliest cars on sale, the Pilot would be near the top.

What else would be there?

BMW 7-Series - While I don't feel nearly as strongly as I used to about Bangle's design direction, the 7-Series still falls under the 'ugly' category. I was also starting to get used to the 2002 model when they went ahead and facelifted it. I think the facelifted version potentially looks worse. They diluted it so it's not as polarising or visually impressive, but kept those controversial details. The end result is perplexing. The 5-Series is more understated, but it still comes close to picking up an 'ugly' award.

BMW X3 - Details are too fussy, overall design suits a bigger car. This is bizarre, coming from the makers of the X5 (which is one of the most beautiful SUVs ever). The X3 is the [non-permissible content removed]-child of the BMW crossover family.

Buick Terraza/Chevrolet Uplander - These are pretty straightforward. The Relay dodges the award because it looks almost convincing. The cladding and the front clip make it look infinitely better than the Terraza/Uplander. Check 'em all out and get back to me on that one.

Chevrolet Equinox - Manages to be both offensive and bland. The back is boring, the front is ridiculous, and the two just don't mix well.

Chevrolet Malibu - Utterly bizarre from some angles, dull-as-dishwater from others. Unresolved and nowhere near cohesive. The Maxx, post-facelift, dodges the award because it manages to look reasonably interesting and moderately well-proportioned.

Chevrolet Monte Carlo - I can see its charm, and I try to like it, but no. Just no. It's just so unresolved and bizarre.

Honda Element - Go straight to jail. Do not pass 'go'. Do not collect $500.

Honda Insight - Blech. It looks vaguely like a 1985 interpretation of what cars will look like in the future. Even if you got rid of some of the ridiculous lines, it would still look dated.

Honda Ridgeline - You're probably thinking, "sure, pick on the Ridgeline, but it's a good truck!" I have no doubt that it is a good truck, or in the very least, an average one. I also tried looking at it in a rational frame of mind. However, my conclusion is that this is one UGLY truck. Some of it would look ok, but then they go ahead and have the diagonal 'walls' around the bed and the heavy-handed, forced lines that are there to make it look 'rugged'. They then try and hide it behind a veil of anonymity by putting a very, very bland front clip on there. No, that won't save this beast. Honda, you have designed some good cars. You sell a lot of cars, too. Don't get cocky.

Honda CR-V - Some of it is warming on me. However, I will NEVER get used to that front. Up very close, it looks intricate and quite interesting. Take it all in, though, and it looks terrible.

Hummer H2 SUT - It is supposed to exude ruggedness and masculinity. Instead, it looks plain dorky.

Jeep Compass - I tried to like it. Some of it, I will admit, does look acceptable. As a package, though, it's pretty darn ugly. Even if it weren't a Jeep, it still wouldn't be a beauty queen in people's eyes.

Kia Amanti - Kia should kill this quickly. It is every bad, cheap, Korean "luxury sedan" ever made in one nasty package.

Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX56 - I like that Nissan takes risks, I really do. But in situations like this, sometimes you have to force them at gunpoint to get back into the box. The cheesy, cheesy chromework of the QX56 makes it look even more terrible. No thank you, Nissan.

Subaru B9 Tribeca - Another shoe-in for an Ugly Trophy. The best I could say about this car style-wise is that... it...

Toyota Camry Solara - From no angle whatsoever does this look good. It is absolutely hideous and like acid to the eyes. A Japanese Monte Carlo.

You're probably wondering why certain cars didn't appear on the list. Well, it's because they either aren't on sale for the '07 model year or I actually like them. Share your thoughts!

Some others came close. However, they have just enough style, spunk or even anonymity to avoid winning the infamous "Derrado's Ugliest Cars of 2006" trophy. Stay tuned for the '07 special in December '07.
  • Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I agree with it...especially the Solara opinion, and the awkwardness of the Monte Carlo. Really, all of those opinions can be agreed with easily.
This discussion has been closed.