Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn S-Series Starting Problems

13»

Comments

• knowit2knowit2 Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2010
    One other thing to check on a manual. When you push the clutch down, there is a switch that gets pushed that insures the clutch is engaged to turn the starter (between the clutch and the firewall). There could be a bad connection there. I'd check that. You can hard-wire the switch and see if that cures the issue.

Also, the starter is pretty easy to replace. Mine went out. First disconnect the battery. Then pull out three bolts (plus the connectors to the wires) and pull the starter out. Replace with new starter. I believe I paid $105 for a new starter, lifetime warranty. You will need some pretty long ratchet extensions though.
  • rbillieuxsrrbillieuxsr Member Posts: 47
    I remember when cars first came out with that switch--got in a truck and would not start till depresses clutch and in neutral. Before that you could start in gear with clutch out jackrabbit start used to do on purpose when battery down. Careful if hot wiring do not stand in front of it. I did that and jumped out of way. it started quick
  • wfernandeswfernandes Member Posts: 1
    97 SL1 DOHC when start no mater cold or hot idleruns up to 25 to 3000 he comes down. Have tryed everthing any one have clues.Replaced temp. senser,idle air control,intake air temp senser,new plugs,wires,cleaned throtle body,replaced fuel pres. reg. cked injectors,Im lost now...
    Try cleaning EGR valve spray pintle with carb cleaner probably carboned up spray till pintle can be moved freely or have replaced. Try putting injector cleaner in. check antifreeze level -can surge if low. P0404 code is clogged EGR and will turn on check engine light Bob B :lemon:
  • jcrozjcroz Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever resolve the shut off while driving problem for your 95 SL Saturn? I have the same problem. Thanks
  • shopdog97shopdog97 Member Posts: 160
    Not sure if this will help you, but I have a '96 SL-1 with the 5 speed. A little over a week ago I couldn't start the car after shoving the clutch in like you have to do. Shoved on it again and it started and had no further issues till last Monday(the 13th) when I had a problem here at home, same issue had to shove the clutch in and out several times to start it. The battery is only about 2 years old and I changed the starter 2 years ago(it was used one and has always worked well.) I finally got going Monday and had to make a stop at our son's home and when it was time to leave, the car would not start no matter HOW many times I worked the clutch. My boy had to push me and I started the car on compression. The problem is the Clutch swith/ignition interlock. This switch is located at the top of the clutch pedal and has a two wire plug going into it. If you pull this plug out and put a jumper wire into it, bypassing the switch, your car should start. Keep in mind that it will start while in gear or in neutral without the need to shove in the clutch. You don't want to attempt to start the car in gear because the bucking can cause the flywheel to break. I initially thought this switch was the Neutral Safety Switch which is clearly shown in my Hayne's manual. But this is for an AUTOMATIC tranny, not the manual. When I called Auto Zone for the part and price, at first it was 40 bucks because they were talking about the wrong part, not what I needed. They then found it and said it was a clutch switch/ign, interlock which is just about the same thing since it is designed to prevent you from starting the car unless you first push in the clutch.

And this part was only 7 bucks, much to the delight of someone currently unemployed. I just put the new switch in on Saturday the 18th and there are 2 10mm nuts to remove. Take out the mounting bracked and you may need to pry the old switch out and then slide the new one all the way down, replace the unit and plug in the wire and you are good to go.
  • jeffkeller1989jeffkeller1989 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 saturn sl1 1.9 sohc i am a single parent with two kids and i have no way of getting to where i need to ... i bought the car about 2 weeks ago and the day i got it i tried starting it and it would crank but no start .. i pulled the plugs out to check for spark.. nothing so i thought maybe ignition problems so i went out and bought a new coilpack and ignition module and plugs no luck cranks but no start ... and no spark so i called autozone they said put a new crack position sensor in i did still no spark... called them back the guy asked if i was getting fuel i checked nothing no fuel was getting to fuel rail... so i checked to see if the fuel pump was in working order by running 12V positive wire from battery to fuel pump positive it primed the fuel lines but still no start check to see if any fuses were blown prior to that and there was a 10 amp fuse blown and the relay i unpluged and wired it up the fuse holder and the fuel pumped kicked on so i was wondering if i was missing something or if its a fuel pump relay that needs to be replaced or what i should i do cause autozone said that if it ain't getting fuel than it wont get any spark because its got a sensor that determines if there is fuel to give spark and if there ain't it wont spark i really need some help... im lost and i dont know what else to do thank you
    Dont keep cranking engine---have someone check the timing belt first you will get no spark if blown and engine will freeze up if it has not already If froze up -piece of junk not worth fixing. I would not try to do myself-get mech Bob B
    First try installing a crankshaft position sensor--ask autozone for help for info how to do Bob B
  • jeffkeller1989jeffkeller1989 Member Posts: 2
    i did that was the second thing i replaced first thing was the coil packs and plugs then the ignition module 3rd still the POS wont run lol
    Take cover off timing belt on left side of engine to see if blown Bob B :lemon:
  • maxxerkmaxxerk Member Posts: 1
    Just hit the top of the shifter with your shoe-or fist(reasonably hard)- it should come out of park-kind of hillbilly, but it works.. :-)
  • scbatemanscbateman Member Posts: 1
    Newbie here. 2002 Saturn SL1, 72K miles. Hasn't been driven in a year. Thought battery was dead so jumped off and was successful getting battery changed. Drove a bit then car wouldn't start. This has happened twice now. Did some investigating on-line via AutoMD and found that it was most likely the starter. Bought remanufactured one from Advance. Current starter just made a loud click when attempting to start. New one was successfully installed but when attempting to start new starter, starter spins continuously. Viewed You Tube video about how to fix Saturn starter. So took apart old starter and cleaned per video. Reinstalled with same single click occuring. HELP!!!!
  • eyeshinebasseyeshinebass Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I need serious help! I've had this ongoing issue for a few months now and I need my car :(

I have a 2002 Saturn SL and it has completely stopped on me about 3 times while driving. The first time I was on the freeway. I got it towed back to my house and after about 2 weeks it started up again.

A few weeks later it stopped on me again while driving down the street. The AAA guy came, banged on the fuel pump and it wanted to start, but then stopped. He also grabbed the TPS and shook it and it tried to start, but then stopped again. I replaced the TPS and nothing. I took it to a mechanic and he "fixed" it. It worked for a few days and then stopped again while driving on the street.

Finally, I had a friend help me out, free of charge, and he did a test where he placed gasoline into some kind of intake valve by the engine and the car tried to start. He said it was the fuel injectors. Got new fuel injectors and that wasn't the problem. He now says it's the fuel pump.

Any suggestions before I continue to buy parts I don't need?
    Turn on iginition wait till you hear click and try to start if it does not then fuel pump also have fuel filter changed :lemon: is service engine light on? if so go to autozone for free ckeck
  • saturnlover2saturnlover2 Member Posts: 1
    We've been having a problem with our Saturn for the past 6 months or so that is battery related. Last year December my wife left the lights on in the car and the battery died. We replaced it with a new one and it worked fine for a while. Then in the past few months once every few weeks when we go to start the car we find the battery's dead! No explanation. We've been having to trickle charge the battery for 24 hrs to get it back to life as it drains completely when this happens.

Has anyone experienced this before? Or has any advice?
    Dont buy a battery you cant open--most batteries you can open-even the freedom ones--check water level should at least cover cells fill with distilled water or regular water if not available.They will tell you not to add water-BS.Take battery to autozone for check -free-dont have to remove for test. Have your cars charging system checked if keeps up I would get rid of battery if it failed Bob B :lemon:
  • saturndriver02saturndriver02 Member Posts: 1
    It might not be starting in the correct sequence. you could take it in and ask a Trustful mechanic. I know this has happened to me with other cars.
  • spudmizerspudmizer Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I had the exact same problem.. Next time it dies.. ask them to blow air into the gas tank where you would normally fill it... If the car starts... the issue is NOT the fuel pump... or filter... its a pressure issue !!!! The system has vacumn lines to maintain a back pressure in the system... there is a thing called a pressure check valve that does get stuck... and yes randomly... it will die OR not start... This is NOT the only saturn I have heard this happening too... GOOD LUCK !!
  • wontstarrrtwontstarrrt Member Posts: 2
    Turn the key nothing, the lights come on though.
    I can get it to start if someone cross connects the starter while I turn the key.
    My car was in the shop last week $220. - they put in a new key tumbler and gave me the key free, but they didn't fix the problem. I'm not a mechanic. Appreciate any help. :) Julie
    sounds like wiring problem--I would stick it back to them and tell them to fix it--and would not be nice about it or try firestone next--saturn is junk I know own one :lemon:
  • wontstarrrtwontstarrrt Member Posts: 2
    My car didn't start doing this until after I had 100,000 mile maintenance performed on it. They put a new belt on it and maybe a wire got loose on the starter. I don't know of any car dealer mechanics that will look for something as simple as a lose wire.
    My car will be fine for about 2 weeks and then, won't start.
  • kayyreneekayyrenee Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have wrote below explain what has happen and what we have done to my 1996 Saturn. If you can help me with the questions below . PLEASE AND THANK YOU:(
    Few questions ..
    -What would cause it to back fire
    -why are my spark plugs wires poping out
    and pcv valve shooting out of valve cover.
    And any thang you can suggest?

I own a 1996 Saturn sc2 its got aprox. 220,000 miles .. I bought the car about 6 months ago and its been running great .. besides that its always needed oil but had never seen a leak or any smoke nor any signs of problems running. Intell the other day . I was driving from Austin Texas to Converse Texas about a 45 minite drive which I do on a regular basis. And I noticed my car was smoking, it was very light smoke because I really only noticed the smoke when a Car got close to my rear end ( like the smoke was being pushed up in the air.) ( am I making sense so far)... anyways so I pulled over to a ice house opened my hood to cheak my oil and noticed there was oil splash all over the top if my motor, intake,... just every where (I later noticed it even got on my rims and tires) at the time I didn't know what caused it ..( but later after I got home with my grandfather and dad looking at it we came to the conclution that it was the pcv valve cause it was loose and poped off the top of the valve cover ..still attached to the intake..) back to being at the ice house .. I cleaned up the oil spilled. and added 2 quarts of oil and a can of some kinda leak fix..? and put a little more gas .. cause I was getting low.. at this time I was about 15 miles from my home.. I made it home and got my brother (that knows nothing about vehicles) and went to look at it I had him start it (its a 5 speed) .. I was unaware about the pcv valve so when he started it I was look for some kind of broke hose.. or anywhere oil was coming from I noticed the pcv valve but at the time Was unaware of what it was.. my grandfather pulled in as I was looking at my car.. we called my father and drove the car to him to look at about. A 5 mile drive.. that's when they figured it was the pcv valve ( at the time it was not running bad) so the figured it was smoking cause the oil spilled ...? I drove the car back home .. I wasnt satisfied with what my gpa and dad decided .. and called up a friend .. he told me if I felt comfortable driving it to drive it to seguin about 25 miles and he would look at my car.. i drove out there still didn't seem to be driving bad besides the smoke .. when I got out to his house it was dark and I passed his road when I went to the end of the road to turn around I quess some how I let it die when shifting from nutral to first.. when I tryed to start it back up it hesitated to start I tryed a few times and got it to start I got it about 300 ft closer to my friends and it died again we couldn't get it to start so my friend and his brothers push it up into the property .. it started to drizzle.. so we waited about a hour when the drizzleing stop my friend went and looked at it they could not get it to start .. so we left it for the morning .. the following morning we all went out to look at the car .. we still could not get the car to Start.. but we noticed the valve gasket had slipped out of place so we went a bought a new valve gasket. We replaced the valve gaskets.. they we're cheaking the spark plugs and for some reason thought the spark plug closes to the right end looking from t he front of the car needed to be replaced so we placed the 4th spark plug car still didn't start.. they gave up for the day.. the following day I had called my dad to see if he had some advice. He told my friends to clean the distrubuter? When they when to look t hey seemed to not find a distrubuter and only coil packs?... they took the coil packs off and cleaned them really good and put them back on... when he took them Off he noticed the bottom right side screw was missing .. putting them back on he made sure it was on good and not slippery or out of place.. I went to start my car and it started .. then Died ...:(.. I know a little about cars but still clueless on somethangs. I've been learning from experience... my friend for some reason detached the pcv valve hose from the pcv valve .. and started the car again and it started.. when He would put the pcv hose on the pcv it would start to die .. he played with it for a while and finaly got it where it was attached and was not stalling out.. all this time from having the car running again it. Was running very crappy.. shakey .. and the smoking was terrible. Did I mention it was white smoke? We let the car runn for about a hour as they looked t minor thangs .. the car seemed to. Run better over time.. it was still smoking but it seemed to be a more steady idle.. after letting it idle for about a hour they went to step on the gas lightly to see what would happen.. when they gave it a liitle gas the pcv valve would pop completely out of the valve cover and shoot out somewhere .. also the third spark plug hose popped completely out of the valve cover ..was like there was to much pressure.. as the attended to see what was causing this it seemed to happen a few times ..the last time it happen we lost the pcv valve and broke the hose that attached it to the intake one of the times it happen the valve gasket slipped out of place so we too off he valve cover and put it Back in place but hadn't happened again ..so we left it. my frends seemed to run out of options .. and I didn't want to ask for to much.. my grandpa came and picked me up and we left the car in my friends property. . About a week following the car breaking down we called AAA and had them Tow the car to my house.. my dad Came over and him and grandpa went to look at it some more they replaced the pcv valve and hose .. they took off the valve cover and was looking at the timing chain I guess they are starting to thank its out of time .. but we cant seem to find out how to cheak the timing .. the chain looks fine from what we can see with only the valve cover off.. they had not tryed to start the car at all .. well we put the valve cover on and with the pcv valve and hose back in place they tryed to start it they were trying to see what would happen.. when they tryed to start it the pcv valve popped out a place again and the first spark plug hose popped off the valve cover.. prior times of this happening it was always the third spark plug wire that poped out but this time it was the first one closes to the left.. they went to go try and look up what would cause that on the internet but had no success.. my dad has called a close mechanic friend and he's is coming over later today to see if he can figure anythang out.. dad had told him about the spark plug hose popping out and He said he's never seen or heard if that happening before .. I've asked lots of mechanics and friends and no one seems to understand why that would be happening ..
    White smoke-sounds like head gasket is blown I had car that had that happen to--expensive to fix and was not any good after that --junkyard. First check to see if antifreeze is in oil that is indication head gasket is shot replace all plugs wires and distribtor and PVC valve I wolud go to a decent mech to look at it.
  • dice113089dice113089 Member Posts: 1
    try replacing your crank sensor i had the same issue with my 97 saturn sc2 and its started right up and has been running fine ever since. its hard to see but its actually located right behind the starter if trying to get to it from under your car.
    What would make auto trans shift hard all of sudden--had it on auto and when shifted down -hard-clunk twice ok after noticed when stepp on gas too :lemon:
  • saturntech9saturntech9 Member Posts: 152
    What year and model do you have?Do you have a delay or bang into reverse?Most of the time shifitng issue of hard shifting or slipping is caused by a pressure issue inside the transmission.It can be easly fixed though.
    97 saturn auto trans sl1 --had no3 cylinder misfire-fixd that-bad wire--still doing same thing--have exaust leak fron donut-broken stud trying to figure out how to get it out too-kid at autozone said that may be causing problem. no delayor bang going into reverse-notice most when on and off gas due to traffic thought sticky valve so put cleaner in -same thing noticed when on auto speed control could egr be doing this-no code now Bob B :lemon:
    Loud bang-hole in bell housing car still wants to move even without fluid in it-tried to put more in leaks out as fast as put in. Question-can weld patch over hole and is possible trans still good? when happened could move a few ft had towed :sick:
  • AshBrookeAshBrooke Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Saturn. 
    Literally would not crank out of the blue. Took it to a garage and they replaced fuses and a some fuse lines. It was fine. Then the power windows stopped working and the cig lighter stopped working .No lights would come on the dash. Took it back to get it reset changed another fuse. Now car won't go out of park and break pedal feels like it's not working. Computer module maybe? Breaks went out ? Confused
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Seems unlikely that the transmission and brake issues would be related to the obvious electrical issues. Some kind of computer module might be the cause of the electrical stuff, but we're also talking about a 17+ year old vehicle so things ARE going to start to go after that much time.

You said replacing some fuses and fuse lines fixed the cranking problem. That sounds like wiring had gotten old and cracked or shorted. The rest of the wiring in the car isn't any younger, and now you're seeing other electrical issues.

I'm not saying it's time, but the time comes for all of our cars when we have to at least think about cost of what it will take to repair and what we get out of it.