Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Hyundai Sonata

Comments

• joeg1joeg1 Member Posts: 18
    Is there any information on the availability of an in-dash navigation system?

Thanks,
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The 2.4L 4 cylinder will now only be offered with a manual tranny...

You have GOT to be kidding. The price of gas in the U.S. just hit an all-time high, and the 2008 Sonata won't be offered with an I4 + automatic AT ALL?!?! What is HMA thinking?!?!

At least there's still the Optima, with a sensible I4 + 5-speed automatic available.
  • w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Right on Backy - HMA must be on another planet to make this decision. I'm sure many of us thought the I4 might be offered with the 5-speed automatic. Why the supposedly lower-class Kia Optima gets the 5-speed automatic is very strange marketing. One wonders how many GLS I4's they will sell here in the States - not many, if only the manual transmission is available. I wouldn't mind one, but I'd prefer an automatic nowadays.

If this is truly the case, my planned purchase of a 2008 Sonata GLS I4 automatic w/the Premium Option is off the table, and now I'm back looking at other options - the 3.3L V6, although an excellent engine, - will not be one of them due to fuel economy requirements. Looks like the Camry and Accord are now back into the running!
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    What happened with the idea of offering the 2.4L across all the trim levels? I'm with backy, here in SoCal gas is heading to $4/gal. Who wants a V6? Give me the 2.2L turbodiesel.
  • wylldsharkwylldshark Member Posts: 34
    Hey guys,

Hyundai just released this today on Hyundaidealer and I thought I'd share it with you all.

Turns out the I4 will be offered across the board, so apparenly the brochure had it wrong. Here's the release direct from the site:

Hyundai Motor America announced pricing today for the 2008 Hyundai Sonata lineup. As gas prices surge, Hyundai is smartly offering the powerful, yet fuel-efficient 2.4-liter DOHC inline-four cylinder engine in all trim levels, including SE and Limited models, for the first time. Shoppers still looking for low-priced V6 performance can now find the Sonata GLS V6 for $450 less than last year’s lowest price V6 model. The sporty SE version has also been upgraded with standard performance tires, decklid spoiler and a power driver seat. The previously optional Infinity® AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio®/6-CD Changer/MP3 audio system is now standard on the Limited model.

From the well-equipped GLS, to the sport-focused SE, to the downright luxurious Limited, the 2008 Sonata lineup addresses the needs and desires of midsize-sedan customers with a highly competitive mix of features and benefits. Each model delivers a level of standard equipment that is a cut above comparable models.

With an MSRP of $18,195 (including freight), the 2008 Sonata GLS continues to provide a sizable price advantage compared to its four-cylinder competition, undercutting the lesser-equipped base 2007 Honda Accord and 2007 Toyota Camry by $1,025 and $895 respectively. All Sonata models have standard Electronic Stability Control (ESC), the most effective lifesaving technology since the seatbelt, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). In comparison, Accord four-cylinder models are not available with ESC, while Toyota offers ESC as a $650 option on the 2007 Camry.

Sonata features a sophisticated 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine matched to a smooth-shifting five-speed manual transmission, with a four-speed SHIFTRONIC® automatic transmission optional. The new Sonata GLS V6 starts at $21,645 – that’s $2,515 less than the lowest priced 2007 Camry V6 model, and $2,300 less than the lowest priced 2007 Accord V6 sedan.

The Sonata GLS features an impressive array of standard active and passive safety features including Electronic Stability Control (ESC), Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS), six airbags, Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and active front head restraints. Other standard features include new premium seat cloth, power windows, door locks and outside heated mirrors, keyless entry with alarm, an AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio®/CD/MP3 audio system, 60/40 split fold-down rear seats, air conditioning, cruise control and tilt-adjustable steering column.

The Popular Equipment Package includes automatic headlights, chrome window belt moldings, metalgrain/woodgrain interior accents, power driver seat with adjustable lumbar support, steering wheel audio controls and a trip computer.

The sport-focused SE adds a responsive, fuel-efficient 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine as standard equipment for 2008, matched with a smooth-shifting 5-speed manual transmission. Other performance-oriented SE features include a new rear decklid spoiler, fog lights, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, and 17-inch alloy wheels with new 215/55R17 all season performance tires. The new tires have stiffer sidewalls and a unique tread design for more responsive steering and capable handling. The Sonata SE V6 adds a 5-speed automatic transmission and dual chrome exhaust tips.

Other standard features include an eight-way power driver seat (optional in 2007 model year), automatic headlights, chrome window belt moldings, steering wheel mounted audio controls, telescoping steering wheel and a trip computer. The Premium Package includes an AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio®/6-CD Changer/MP3 audio system with six speakers, subwoofer and component amplifier, power/tilt sunroof and an electrochromic auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® and a compass.

Priced at $22,995 (including freight), the range-topping Sonata Limited is a fully equipped luxury model for midsize buyers who want it all—at a great price. Distinguishing exterior features include new aluminum bodyside moldings, chrome center-bar grille, and chrome-accented exterior door handles. The interior features luxurious leather seating surfaces, a standard Infinity® AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio®/6-CD Changer/MP3 audio system with six speakers, subwoofer and component amplifier (optional in 2007 model year), an eight-way power driver seat and heated front seats. Other upgrades include automatic temperature control, an electrochromic auto-dimming rearview mirror with HomeLink® and compass, sliding center armrest, premium scuff plates and 215/55R17 tires. The Sonata Limited is so well equipped that the only option is a power/tilt sunroof. The Sonata Limited 4-cylinder comes with a four-speed automatic transmission, while the V6 features a five-speed automatic transmission; both include the added control of SHIFTRONIC® manual shifting.

New for 2008:

·2.4-liter DOHC inline-four cylinder now available on SE and Limited trim levels
    ·GLS V6 offered
    ·Eight-way power driver’s seat now standard on SE
    ·New SE performance tire and standard decklid spoiler
    ·Limited model now features the Infinity® AM/FM/XM Satellite Radio®/6-CD Changer/MP3 audio system with six speakers, subwoofer and component amplifier as standard equipment

·New aluminum bodyside moldings on Limited

GLS

The Sonata GLS 4-cylinder MSRP starts at $18,195 with manual transmission, (including $650 freight), $19,395 with automatic transmission, and includes the following standard features:

·2.4L DOHC engine with CVVT
    ·Dual front and front side-impact airbags
    ·Roof-mounted side-curtain airbags
    ·Front seat active head restraints
    ·Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD) and Brake Assist
    ·4-wheel disc brakes
    ·Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
    ·Electronic Stability Control (ESC) w/ Traction Control System (TCS)
    ·Air conditioning with cabin air filter
    ·AM/FM/XM/CD/MP3 audio system w/ 6 speakers
    ·Remote keyless entry system with alarm
    ·Cruise control
    ·Power windows and door locks
    ·Power heated outside mirrors
    ·Tilt steering wheel
    ·16” steel wheels

The new Sonata GLS V6 A/T starts at $21,645 (including $650 freight) and includes the following:

·3.3L DOHC V6 engine
    ·5-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC®
    ·Chrome-tipped dual exhaust
    ·Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
    ·Solar control glass

GLS Options

Both the Sonata GLS 4-cylinder with automatic transmission and Sonata GLS V6 with automatic transmission feature the following option packages:

·Popular Equipment Package ($650 MSRP) includes a power driver seat, steering wheel audio controls, driver’s lumbar support, automatic light control, trip computer, chrome window-belt moldings and metalgra
    Well, that's a relief! That's great that the I4 is available in all trim lines. The Limited with I4 looks like a great value, likely under $20k after discounts and the expected rebates.

I wonder what the price difference will be between the GLS with PEP and the base SE? There's not a big difference in the two now, except for the telescopic wheel and 17" alloys on the SE. It's nice that the SE I4 can be had with a stick--at least on paper. I've never actually seen a stick Sonata in my area, at any dealer.

It would have been good if Hyundai had put the five-speed AT into the Sonata I4s for 2008, since its cousin the Optima has a 5AT and most other competitors have a 5AT. Also I'll be curious to see if the 2008 Sonata is re-tested by the NHTSA and IIHS, which would mean Hyundai made some changes affecting crash safety.
  • lonewaldenlonewalden Member Posts: 26
    Hey Wylldshark,

Thanks for that info on the 08 Sonata. Very interesting what they are doing with the trim levels. Looks like prices are going up fast though. Do you have any info on the 08 Elantra yet, or at least MSRP on the 08's? If you do could you post it on the Elantra boards. Thanks
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    I4s + V6s across the board.
  • grutzagrutza Member Posts: 52
    That sounds like it is a good move. Any idea for a release date?
    Hey guys,

Just checked the forum and noticed I hit the limit of characters becuase the pricing was not included.

Here's the rest of the release: :)

GLS Options

Both the Sonata GLS 4-cylinder with automatic transmission and Sonata GLS V6 with automatic transmission feature the following option packages:

·Popular Equipment Package ($650 MSRP) includes a power driver seat, steering wheel audio controls, driver’s lumbar support, automatic light control, trip computer, chrome window-belt moldings and metalgrain/woodgrain interior accents

·Popular Equipment Package with Sunroof ($1,550 MSRP) includes a power driver seat, steering wheel audio controls, driver’s lumbar support, automatic light control, trip computer, chrome window belt moldings, metalgrain/woodgrain interior accents and power tilt-and-slide glass sunroof

SE

The new Sonata SE 4-cylinder with manual transmission starts at $19,895 (including $650 freight) and includes all GLS 4-cylinder M/T equipment plus:

·17” Alloy wheels w/ 215/55R17 performance tires
    ·Power driver seat
    ·Driver’s lumbar support
    ·Fog lights
    ·Automatic light control
    ·Steering wheel audio controls
    ·Telescoping steering wheel
    ·Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
    ·Trip computer
    ·Metalgrain/woodgrain accents
    ·Rear spoiler
    ·Chrome window-belt moldings
    ·Solar control glass

The Sonata SE V6 with automatic transmission starts at $22,745 (including $650 freight) and includes all of the SE 4-cylinder M/T equipment plus:

·3.3L DOHC engine
    ·5-speed automatic transmission w/ SHIFTRONIC®
    SE Options

·Premium Package ($1,650 MSRP) includes a power tilt-and-slide glass sunroof, AM/FM/XM/6-CD changer/MP3 audio system with subwoofer and amplifier, and an electrochromic auto-dimming inside rearview mirror w/ HomeLink® integrated transceiver and compass

Limited

The new Sonata Limited 4-cylinder with automatic transmission starts at $22,995 (including $650 freight) and includes all of the SE 4-cylinder M/T equipment, excluding SE rear spoiler, plus the following:

·4-speed automatic transmission w/ SHIFTRONIC®
    ·Leather seating surfaces
    ·Heated front seats
    ·AM/FM/XM/6-CD changer/MP3 audio system w/ Infinity® speakers, subwoofer and amplifier
    ·Electrochromic auto-dimming inside review mirror w/ HomeLink® integrated transceiver and compass
    ·Automatic temperature control
    ·Sliding center armrest
    ·Aluminum bodyside molding
    ·Chrome center bar grille and door handles
    ·Premium door sill plates
    ·“Limited” badge
    ·215/55R17 standard tires

The Sonata Limited V6 MSRP starts at $24,695 (including $650 freight) and includes all Limited 4-cylinder A/T equipment plus:

·3.3L DOHC engine
    ·5-speed automatic transmission with SHIFTRONIC®
    Limited Options
    ·Power tilt-and-slide glass sunroof ($900 MSRP)

Model Code Engine Transmission
    Dealer Inv.* MSRP

26403 Sonata GLS 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-Spd M/T $16,830 $17,545

26402 Sonata GLS 2.4L 4-cyl. 4-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $17,964 $18,745

26412 Sonata GLS 3.3L V6 5-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $20,091 $20,995

26453 Sonata SE 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-Spd M/T $18,244 $19,245

26452 Sonata SE 3.3L V6 5-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $20,909 $22,095

26472 Sonata Limited 2.4L 4-cyl. 4-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $20,919 $22,345

26462 Sonata Limited 3.3L V6 5-Spd SHIFTRONIC® A/T $22,491 $24,045

* Includes dealer holdback, floor plan assistance, and marketing allowance.

Freight charges for the Sonata are $650.

Check HyundaiDealer.com Pricing and Incentive’s page for price sheets and detailed information.

Hyundai Motor America reserves the right to change prices and features at anytime.
    The Sonata will be the first 2008MY Hyundai to hit, so as of now there is no information available for any other model. I expect the Entourage to be the next one though since it's been a 2007MY for a whole year now!
    Thanks very much for posting all of this detail, including the invoice pricing--that is very helpful.

It appears from the info that it is not possible to get a GLS 5-speed with a power seat--is that correct? If so, that would make the SE the only stick model available with a power seat.
    Hey backy,

Glad to oblige. :) From what I gather, yes you can get a power seat wit ha stick GLS, all you would need to do is get a car with the Popular Equipment Package. That was at the bottom of my first 'Update' posting as the package available for the GLS.
    OK. Here is the text you posted that led me to believe that the GLS 5-speed (stick) is not available with the PEP (and power seat):

GLS Options

·Popular Equipment Package ($650 MSRP) includes a power driver seat, steering wheel audio controls, driver’s lumbar support, automatic light control, trip computer, chrome window-belt moldings and metalgrain/woodgrain interior accents

·Popular Equipment Package with Sunroof ($1,550 MSRP) includes a power driver seat, steering wheel audio controls, driver’s lumbar support, automatic light control, trip computer, chrome window belt moldings, metalgrain/woodgrain interior accents and power tilt-and-slide glass sunroof

I noticed it specifically said "with automatic transmission" for the availability of the option packages on the GLS I4.
    Oh! Gotcha backy! I didn't realize that, I simply copied and pasted the release. Hehe

Hm, it does make me wonder too. From reading that again, it seems the GLS will have three trim levels: GLS 4 cyl manual, GLS 4 cyl. auto., and GLS V6 auto. with the manual being the most basic of the base models.

Good observation!
  • mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    My wife just bought a 2007 Elantra. This may sound petty, but one of the nice touches is the backlit Blue lighting instrumentation. Its very pleasant to read -- and looks rich. The current 07 Sonata does not and has the older looking displays.

My two questions are:
    1) Does anyone know if the 2008 Sonata models will have the newer blue lighting' display?
    2) I notice that the Sonata will have a Trip Computer option (as does the 07 Elanta), but does it (or will it) have an Outside Temp display?

Thanks. :)
    The press release on the 2008 Sonata didn't mention anything about gauges. I would think it would have mentioned a change like that.

On a side note, there is a thread today in the Veracruz discussion about a new owner who hates the blue displays on that SUV and is looking to change them to a different color. Different strokes for different folks. :)

I think Sonatas with auto climate control, i.e. the Limiteds, have an outside temp gauge. Sonatas have had a trip computer on almost all trims for awhile now.
  • rhduke00rhduke00 Member Posts: 129
    It's Sunday and the local Hyundai dealership is closed but as I was driving by, I noticed some Sonatas with the duel chrome tip exhaust and wheel covers instead of alloys. Since this dealer doesn't close his gates even when closed, I drove on to the lot and confirmed my suspicion that these must be 2008 V6 GLSs. I got out of my car and looked in the window of one of the 2008s and the first thing I noticed is that the cloth is much different than the cloth in the 06 and 07. The other difference I noticed between the 06 and 08 V6 GLSs is the 08 doesn't have fog lights and the 06 does. I looked at the sticker but I don't remember the MSRP.
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    i need the last 10 years of hyundai sale number. please help me out! i googled it million times, but i couldn't find any.

if 10 years is too much at least someone please give me 2002-2006 numbers. thanks.

also i have a question for you guys. do you think hyundai will sell less this year than last year?

http://www.automotive.com/features/90/auto-news/29031/index.html

chart shows 07 number will be less than 06.
    US or worldwide?

You can find US @ hyundainews.com
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Try this

Hyundai Worldwide

You should be able to find back through 2001 or 2002 for most of their markets. ;)
    If anyone really knew the answer to that (will Hyundai sell less this year than last year), he/she could get some big bucks from HMA or probably a number of other sources. ;)
  • joeg1joeg1 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone heard about a factory in-dash navigation option for the Sonata to be released during the 2008 model year? I had read somewhere that the Santa Fe is supposed to get one. Thanks,
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    I haven't heard or read anything about an in-dash for the Sonata. I did just read last evening (Motor Trend) in their review of the new Vera Cruz that an in-dash solution "was due" by the end of the year for that model. As a personal note, having had a high-end in-dash in an Avalon and now using a Garmin Nuvi portable in my Sonata, I would NEVER again pay for an in-dash. Too many advantages to portables for me. And the outrageous prices of in-dash are a joke! Just my humble opinion... :D
    I get to drive a brand-spanking-new (4 miles on odo) 2008 Sonata GLS V6 for the next couple of days courtesy of Hertz. Ah that new-car smell! :D It's champagne with the tan interior, and the option package that includes power driver's seat and moonroof.

The first thing I noticed walking up to the car was the plastic wheel covers. So I thought to myself, "Oh, Hertz is buying I4 Sonatas now." Then I looked under the rear bumper and saw the dual chrome exhausts. So there isn't much extra anymore with the V6 on the GLS. The new cloth interior reminds me of the Azera SE's cloth--velour on the sides, and a pinpoint pattern in the middle. Looks ok to me, pretty tasteful if kind of boring. I didn't notice any other changes. It had the better audio controls on the wheel and XM radio like later-2007 models did. I didn't notice any problems with the car, except the Michelin tires made quite a racket going over rough pavement on a few bridges on the freeway. It was smooth and quiet otherwise.

Getting out of the Hertz lot and airport I got just over 20 mpg. Then once up to speed on the highway, I reset the mpg meter and drove about 25 miles, at 60-70 mph (tried to stay close to the 60-65 limit). I used a light touch on the gas. Temperature about 80, had the A/C on. When I exited the highway, the mpg readout said 33.3 mpg. So while not a full test, it seems the car is capable of exceeding its EPA numbers for fuel economy. Going back to the airport on Friday, I might try doing "stupid fuel (NON) economy tricks", i.e. driving like a lot of people do and w/o an eye to fuel economy, and see what happens.

P.S. I continue to be mystified by the reviews that blast the location of the Sonata's air vents. I quickly and easily set the vents in the car so they would circulate the air and not cause any draft at all on me. (That was after I had them pointed at me for awhile while the car cooled down.) So I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, that Edmunds.com and other reviews have made such a big deal about it.
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    With you on the vents, I drive continuously (62,000+ on my 07 since mid Nov.), and I find the vent placement to be just fine. :shades:
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    62+K miles??? Only one thing to say to this....WOW!!!!!!!!
    I guess you could give us a "how's she hold'n up" review.
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    I'd like to hear about it to! I've got 42,000 miles to go. ;)
  • hotrod54hotrod54 Member Posts: 82
    I'll post a review in the 2006+ thread here in the next day or so. Right now I'm road weary...must get sleep. :sick:
  • caazcaaz Member Posts: 209
    iJUST READ ALL 83 posts, now that im up to speed...im wondering where i find from all you experts real world fuel econmy....as well as How Quiet it is compared to the Accord....Camrry....and even the Elantra
  • mstemmstem Member Posts: 113
    Caaz,

Suggest you surf on over to the Forum named "Hyundai Sonata 2006+" for answers to all of your questions and concerns. There are well over 7000 posts there... tons of reading! Just go back a few months and read forward. Good luck and welcome aboard! Mike '07 Sonata LTD V6 owner
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's the fuel economy discussion: Hyundai Sonata Real World MPG. You can find other discussions, including the one mstem recommended here in the Sonata group.

I see you are a new member - welcome! If I can help you find anything else, feel free to drop me an email. :)
    Thx for your help....i am a new member and i actually did stumble across the MPG section. Didnt see it before. Thx again
    As far as quietness is concerned, one place you could head to is Edmunds's comparison of the Sonata, Accord, and Camry, which provided their measure of db (noise level), in idle, full throttle, and highway cruising. I recall overall, the Sonata bested the Camry and the Accord, or the quietest.

I'll look for the link to that comparison.
  • mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    Since you have had the pleasure and experience to drive a 2008 Sonota, let me poise to you a question I previously posted.

It may seem petty, but cool :shades: I have fallen in love with my wife Elanta's instrumentation dials. Blue and easy on the eyes to read, as I often drive at night. However I need a larger vehicle.

Do you recall if the Instrumentation backlighting was 'blue' or still what I refer to as 'greenish-gray' backlighting (such as from the Radio console)? What was the nighttime colors of the instrumentation dials?

Thanks.
    This being summer in the Midwest, where it gets light about 5 am and doesn't get dark 'til after 9 pm, I didn't drive the car in the dark. Sorry. If it helps, the gauges looked exactly like the ones on the '06-'07 Sonatas. The radio was also the same, with the addition of XM radio. It's possible Hyundai changed the backlighting, but I doubt it. Maybe for the '09 refresh?...

Now for the good news... on the way back to the airport, I paid no attention to how I was driving the car, that is, with respect to fuel economy. I didn't intentionally flog it (except for a couple of times when I decided to see how quick the car is from a rolling stop--it's pretty darn quick!) but didn't do anything to save gas either. I did stay pretty close to the speed limit, maybe 5 mph over or whatever the traffic flow was doing (there was construction on part of the trip that limited speed anyway). The car still returned 32.0 mpg, mostly all freeway. I think that's pretty good for a powerful, not-broken-in V6, and above the EPA highway rating.
    Early next year (08) 09MY will see refresh. Here are some spy shots:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=121485

Front and tail looks re-touched. Also with Veracruz-type interior.
    If the front of the '09 will be more Genesis-like and the dash more Veracruz-like, that will be great news. (I like the rear of the current Sonata; it will be interesting to see what changes are in store there.) With a little stiffening of the side structure, dropping in an AT on the I4 with more cogs, and a couple other little touches it would be just about perfect. :) I'll bet the 3.8L will be offered also (maybe just on the SE and Limited), to keep up in the HP wars with the other mid-sizers.
    I hear Hyundai is coming out soon with the second generation Lambda engines (3.3L & 3.8L) - higher output yet improved fuel economy. I don't know exact timing but I'd think the Sonata will continue with the 3.3L but second generation (II), maybe with 250-260hp, and 3.8L II at or around 300 horses, both with similar or improved F/E. The 3.8L II will defn. be in the RWD luxury sedan and coupe, and I imagine should be in the Azera when the refresh is scheduled, as well as other applications using the Lambda engine when their turn comes up.
  • starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
    Backy, how confident are you with the accuracy of the computer calculated mpg results as opposed to the traditional "fill tank/drive some miles/fill tank/do the math" way? Seeing some reviews on the 07's, people are a little discouraged with the real world results on the V6. I've been torn between a Hyundai Sonata V6 and the Nissan Altima (4 cyl). The Altima V6 is too much money and the Sonata I4 I don't think will provide quite enough power(for me). I really like the V6 but most of what I'm reading is negative on the Sonata mpg and is holding me back from making the purchase.
    I am pretty confident. Keep in mind there are errors and inaccuracies possible when calculating mpg by hand. I've found the trip computer on my Elantra tracks pretty closely to manual mpg calculations, when I do them as accurately and consistently as possible.

Why not rent a Sonata for a few days and check mpg for yourself, for the kind of driving you do? Then rent an Altima and do the same thing. Then you'll know.
  • bobadbobad Member Posts: 1,587
    I'm not Backy, but I have been noticing that most people who complain about low MPG drive very fast. My trip computer is very accurate, and when cruising steadily at 65mph, my V6 gets ~32mpg.

Keep in mind, the Sonata is a big, heavy car with a bit more frontal area than many of it's competitors. Every successive mph increase takes more power than the last. Here's a table that gives a good illustration: MPG Table
  • xj220xj220 Member Posts: 78
    The Montgomery plant is off for the holidays and then will start on building the '08 Sonatas when they come back.
    Are you saying that the 2008 Sonatas that are already driving around came from someplace other than Montgomery? :confuse:
  • xj220xj220 Member Posts: 78
    Correction:
    They will make the new Sante Fe models in July, although changes will be minor if any. Sorry, I heard it wrong. '08 Sonata's were built in mid-Spring.
    I'm wondering how V6 Sonatas get such good gas mileage, considering the 4cyl Elantras will barely get more than the stated 32 mpg... with backy's airport run.???
    The highway fuel economy of the Elantra is 36 mpg now (was 32 with the automatic from 2004-6). Even so, with my '04 GT automatic I can easily get mid-to-upper 30s on the highway. I would expect to be able to get 40+ after break-in with the 2007 Elantra, driving with an eye to fuel economy.
  • mazda6dudemazda6dude Member Posts: 283
    Does anyone know if the 2008 Hyundai Sonata SE will be offered with a automatic engine? Thanks.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    I'll bite, what's an "automatic engine"?