Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Where is Honda taking Acura?

Comments

• john500john500 Member Posts: 409
    RWD or AWD is the only way to go for performance. All cars (with a few exceptions that have 4 wheel steering) control the direction of the car through the front wheels. If the power is directed to those wheels, hard launches going into a corner from rest tend to create a tire skipping sensation (which isn't technically torque steer but a separate very undesirable aspect of FWD cars). I agree that Acura should focus on RWD or AWD for their type S vehicles.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    "Leave the prices alone" isn't going to help. Fortunately, Acura hasn't taken that approach. To give you a perspective, in 1995, Acura sold 97,351 vehicles and 63% of that sales was due to Integra which was a car about as basic as a luxury brand could offer.

Ten years later, 65% of Acura's 209K unit sales were from selling two vehicles that span $34K to $45K price range in TL and MDX. Did Acura leave the prices alone? Nope. The volume seller isn't the entry level car that the company has to offer.

That being said, I would be last person to approve status quo forever. TSX is fine at base, but why would you be against a sport trim that offers more power and SH-AWD (neither will be free)? Why would you be against the same for TL? And RL, if it were to offer more than it does now?

Any other way would be taking a good few steps backwards.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    People will kill for Quality cheap luxury. Compare the sales of the BMW 3,5,and 7 series! Next the Mercedes C,E,and S classes. Want to try lexus's Is, Es, Gs, and Ls?

The Tl is the only one that breaks that example. The Tl moved out 63*** units, the Tsx moved 5**** units and it was a jumble for the rest of the models.

The CSX wont sell because it has to much in common with the (ivi) Si sedan like the RSX and the Si coupe. BUT the CSX would sell in the states non the less. The RSX always sold in decent figures. Honda doesn't want to do as Nissan with the Maxima and Altima but almost did it with the TL and Tsx. I think thats why the TSX doesn't have a second more powerful engine yet.

Its like an RSX sedan.

-Cj :)
    CSX needs to be different than what it is right now. I was hoping for a substantially different car from Civic than we got to see (or at least the Canadians did). A good start will be a larger engine option and a different bodystyle and interior, especially keeping in mind the US market.

TSX isn't an RSX sedan. It fills the void that Acura 2.5TL was meant to fill and Vigor wanted to own. Only now, the formula worked for Acura. But it needs more than what is available right now. Acura needs a proper sport sedan and there is no better place in the lineup to begin with but TSX. TL, by name, is meant to be a touring luxury sedan, implying more comfort than sporting intentions. Slight larger, slightly more plusher, and of course powerful. Sport package at the top won't hurt.
    i meant the csx looks like a rsx sedan. I guess honda shouldn't have axed the 5cyl engine, at least not when they did. It would be quite useful to them now.

• louisweilouiswei Member Posts: 3,715
    i meant the csx looks like a rsx sedan

The Canadian CSX is a rebadged (not even glorified) Honda Civic.
  • sazmitty312sazmitty312 Member Posts: 19
    i think that acura wants to do it by establishing its brand in Japan (2008) and Europe (2008 too, i think), and i wouldn't see why it would be difficult for them to do that!
    this is what i found about the next-gen NSX (due out in 09)!
    *srry couldn't get the damn picture on this stupid thing, but here's the link:
    link title
    Automotive News Quotes President of HRA, Suggests Acura's Ready for V8s! here's the link:
    *oh the site there, there is also a mystery pic of this new honda crossover below the CRV for honda-acura fans!

V8 link:
    link title

Honda Crossover (2 links):
    link title

link title
  • derrado1derrado1 Member Posts: 194
    Sazmitty, you remind me an awful lot of Rocky Lee ;)
    The 2.5/I-5 was okay, and replaced by 2.5/V6 which was not only stronger (200 HP/178 lb-ft) but likely just as refined as the other J-series V6 engines we see around from Honda. As of 2003, even that engine was replaced by the one we see in Acura TSX.
    isn't the engine in the tsx a beefed up 4cylthats in the accord? Any 5cyl engine would help honda now.

btw, the csx does have leather... otherwise, iyts the same as the jdm civic.

-Cj
    Don't think the 4 used in TSX is the same as Accord's. I think it is the same one used for Civic Type-S and the previous RSX Type-S. Not 100% sure though.
    It is indeed the same engine as the Accord's 2.4 except that variable valve timing is applied on both sides (intake and exhaust), and higher compression. And it delivers more power (by about 35 HP) and more torque than the 2.5/I-5 did, and of course, much better fuel economy too (EPA estimates for TSX are misleading, that car easily beats those estimates in reality).

2.5/I-5 makes little sense actually. I would rather see 2.5/V6.
    RSX-S and Civic Si use 2.0-liter engine. TSX's I-4 is 2.4-liter engine (same as Accord but tuned more aggressively).
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    LOL, why is that ?

Rocky
    the use of dual exhaust helps alot also. Honda did the tsx right. Its a great handling FWD vehicle with a 6speed mt smooth like glass. Only a bigger v6 would help but that steal from the tl and more from the rl.

• jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    When I say "leave the prices alone" that was in reference to the post suggesting they move the TSX up market and increase the price into the $34k range. Acura has NOT made that significant a jump with its vehicles. One of the attractions to Acura is its price point. The reason for the change in Acura's sales leaders has far more to do with market demands than their pricing strategy. People are buying more SUVs and larger vehicles compared to 1995.

I'm not against a SH-AWD TSX. I'd like to see it. My last 5 vehicles have had some version of 4WD or AWD. My point is that I think there is an unnecessary push towards RWD when the typical buyer will not notice the slight changes in dynamics. The typical buyer will notice how much less traction they have after there are a few inches of snow on the ground and all they have is RWD. While many of us who post on this forum have a passion for automobiles that lead to highly discriminating tastes. The automakers have to think about the average Joe that they are after.

I don't want to see all the automakers offering the same types of products without differentiation. I say let them be different. That's the beauty of it.
    Love the rear, the stacked quad-pipes looks goooooooddddd...

Not much of a fan for the front though. Is this the next NSX?
  • readerreaderreaderreader Member Posts: 253
    Post pictures people!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Not like it is hard to click on the link and see the huge high res pictures.

It is supposed to be the next NSX which will debut at the 2007 Tokyo auto show.
    When I say "leave the prices alone" that was in reference to the post suggesting they move the TSX up market and increase the price into the $34k range. Acura has NOT made that significant a jump with its vehicles.

Let us look at history. 1999 TL spelled the new beginning for Acura and was launched with an MSRP of $27950. In late 2001, Acura added Type-S trim which was $3.5K more expensive than the base.

MY2004 model arrives with an MSRP higher than the old Type-S and sales took off to TL's best ever (actually, best ever for any Acura) at 78K units.

As for moving upmarket, was adding Type-S to TL to push the model upwards? May be it worked that way, but the cheaper TL (base) was available until it was considered necessary.

This is how Acura has managed to have 2/3 of its sales accounted for by TL and MDX, instead of entry level Integra (which was the case in the 90s).
    Has a real... affinity for Acuras. Oh, and all his posts are in Acura topics. Rocky, I believe you have a doppelgänger ;) Although, on the flipside, he puts all his points into one post...

And the CarSpace forums seem to have a pretty low tolerance for trolls, which is good. We so rarely come across trolls and when we do, their posts are generally deleted soon enough. In fact, I predict that in about four posts, we'll all be told to get back on topic.

I don't understand trolls or their motivations. I prefer to remain unbiased so as to maintain my credibility. Trolls and fanboys have no credibility whatsoever and nobody ever takes them seriously, so why bother?
    I have a evil twin ? LOL.....I don't understand what you are honestly talking about putting all my points in one post ? I get different reply's from different people. I don't think I can answer every ones reply's in one post. IMHO I also feel that's disrespectful. Perhaps you don't ?

Rocky
    Well not really because you're discussing a topic, not having personal conversations with every poster.

And it saves seeing a page like this:
    Post 1 - fintail
    Post 2 - andre1969
    Post 3 - iluvmysephia
    Post 4 - rockylee
    Post 5 - rockylee
    Post 6 - rockylee
    Post 7 - rockylee

It's not really just a pet peeve of mine because most people don't actually do that.
    derrado1,

When I reply to someone it's usually a direct response to them and is intended for them (usually)

I'm sorry that peeves you off. :surprise: I honestly wasn't aware of it and never had any complaints before from anyone else. (This is assuming I'm understanding what you are talking about)

Rocky
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    OH god that bothers me too.

Just sum everything you want to say in one or two posts and don't make 3789348729482398 posts in a row.

In all my experience on the net people that do make many posts back to back normally have a screw loose and/or are fanatics.
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Member Posts: 4,277
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/2007/01/08/2008-honda-accord-coupe-concept-unveiled/-

If this is for real, which in typical Honda fashion, is about 95% production, then Honda has a handsome new offering arriving this year.

Six-speed, V6, Navigation... wow, nice design.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    OMG. If those pics are for real, Honda has done the impossible, made a really good-looking midsize 2-door. Not to mention, made the first really good-looking Accord in five years. Take THAT, G6 and Eos! :-P

Plus, the front end, which I assume will be shared with the sedan, is a huge improvement for the 4-door too. Can't wait to see the production sedan.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

LOL, I agree it's nice but almost as nice exterior wise as the 08' G6 GTX ;)

Rocky
    Yeah, I agree, the current one is a little uninspiring. But the J30 with the six-speeder is damn quick. Like musclecar quick. I really hope that combo is offered on the new one, both sedan and coupe.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yeah, I guess we don't know yet what will happen with powertrains, do we? I suspect they will mostly be carry-over.

Many people have mentioned they would love to see the J30 in the next TSX, and I am with them.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I am a bit more partial to the 2.4 with the Turbo for the new TSX. I guess I just enjoy working a bit more for the power... :blush:

I actually think we are going to see the J32 from the TL hiding under the hood for the next go around. The TL is supposed to grab the 3.5 when it gets redesigned. All speculation of course... :D
    Don't really like the front end, too truck-like. However, it is better than the current "Saturn-look-a-like" trend though.

So Hexagon is going to be the grille design for Honda from now on? Makes sense, since the pentagon was utilized on the Acura line.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    I agree- IMHO it looks good- Can't wait to see the sedan form.
    So Hexagon is going to be the grille design for Honda from now on?

It already was before refresh of the Pilot...

In fact, the hexagonal shape most closely mimics the original Honda grill (on S500/S600) and the only difference was that it was wider at the top but still had hexagonal shape to it (link)

The front end reminds me more of the 1992-1993 Accord more than any other generation since. Nice front, very appealing front and well done rear. One of the rare occasions I have found virtually nothing to complain about in Honda's styling (since 2004-2006 TL).

Now only if this coupe will have optional SH-AWD or even better RWD then...

Okay, okay I know, now I am just being greedy. :P
    As far as looks is concerned- is it just me or does that front end scream IS 250/350?
    If Honda did that- they would shoot themselves in the foot with the Acura brand IMHO of course ;)
    ggesq, you know I generally agree with you on most topics but...WHAT? :P

Okay, maybe A LITTLE bit, with a lot of imagination that is...
  • jblaze13jblaze13 Member Posts: 152
    The TL now has an MSRP of $33625 versus your quote of $27950 in 1999. That is an increase of $709/year. There is no big jump. You're calling the addition of a sport model a price jump which is not accurate.

Hey....somebody call Cadillac and Lincoln and tell them we've found the formula. Forget about providing products the market demands, just raise the prices! Thanks for the insight, I'll write GM and Ford today letting them know.

The increasing popularity of SUVs(MDX) and larger cars since 1995 is well documented. This is not an Acura thing, it is an industry thing.

BTW The new Accord looks great.
    Then let us leave the Type-S model aside (although it gained popularity over the cheaper base model despite $3.5K price premium).
    2003 TL: $28,980 (Base price, NAV option)
    2004 TL: $32,650 (Base price, NAV option)
    Is that a big enough jump? In fact, the base TL in 2004 had a price tag higher than the Type-S did in 2003. While we're at it, let us look at sales numbers too.

2003 TL: 57K (granted it was in its last year, and also includes Type-S model, number for 2003 calendar year)
    2004 TL: 78K (number for 2004 calendar year)

Hey....somebody call Cadillac and Lincoln and tell them we've found the formula. Forget about providing products the market demands, just raise the prices! Thanks for the insight, I'll write GM and Ford today letting them know.

Do it! If you mention me, make sure you use my words for it, not a dismantled version. "Just raising" the price won't work. Raising the bar would help.

The increasing popularity of SUVs(MDX) and larger cars since 1995 is well documented. This is not an Acura thing, it is an industry thing.

First of all, if it were just an industry thing, we would see Acura SLX all over. That wasn't the case. It also doesn't explain the success of TL from 1999 onwards.

And secondly, you would see more TSX on the streets than TL. Is that the case? The bottomline to my point is, unlike in the years past, Acura no longer relies on entry level prices/cars towards sales volume. It managed to move up by managing resources in the right way.
    Thanks for posting the pics. I'm technologically retarded. There are "some" similarities, but then again- I do have an active imagination ;)
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Sorry to add fuel to an old debate, but I tried skimming all the recent posts and didn't see this listed. My apologies if I missed it.

Ulrich Hackenberg, head of concept development and body engineering for Audi AG, says Audi is working to integrate torque vectoring with its foundation quattro AWD system. If you can selectively apply torque, "you can get the maximum" from AWD, he says.

"We are working with (torque vectoring) demonstrators internally," Hackenberg says, adding he has driven the Acura RL and found the SH-AWD technology impressive. "We will not stand still (with conventional quattro AWD). We have to improve ourselves."

I can understand why the Audi fans would not accept how impressive SH-AWD is from Acuraphyles like myself or Robertsmx. But maybe hearing from the guy who heads Audi development will help.

Here's the full article.

On a related note, I read some questions about the various torque distribution values for different Acuras during hard acceleration. The RL goes to a 60/40 split and the RDX uses a 55/45 split. The MDX is a little fuzzy on that because they add extra programming logic for hill-climbing. It will split power 30/70, but only for hills when more weight is added to the rear wheels. Acura doesn't list a straight-line, flat surface number for the MDX.

Why don't they direct a higher percentage to the rear, and why is each vehicle different? Because those numbers closely match the weight distribution of each vehicle (with a driver). This is the same thing Porsche does with their AWD system.
    The Accord concept does present some interesting opportunities for Acura. SH-AWD with a 3.5L V6 in an Acura-ified variant could make for an interesting ride.

Such a vehicle might cut Acura some slack when the next gen TL is released. They can continue the base model at introduction with the addition of a Type S variant at the mid-model change. But the coupe could give the enthusiasts something to chew on while they wait for the Type S sedan.

I know the CL-S was a much unloved vehicle, but for the first few years it did exactly that. It gave Acura something sporty to sell before adding the much of the same hardware to the TL. And for that first year or two, sales were not bad and reviews were pretty good. IMO two things killed the CL-S in our market: The TL-S looked better (or at least just as good) and the FWD stigma. If they get the styling right and give it SH-AWD, it would have a good chance.

The trick will be maintaining sales of this fictional coupe once the TL-S is re-introduced.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    The concept looks nice, but I've read that Honda will make the next-generation Accord longer and wider than the current model.

As the owner of a 2003 EX sedan (four cylinder), I don't want a bigger car...the current one is just fine. Why make it bigger?
    To satisfy the Camry shoppers. The small nimble Hondas, you need to check out the next gen TSX for that.

Although the new coupe is something I would be very interested in.

Edit* you have a 2003? My bad. IMO, I can't imagine the actual profile and exterior size to grow much over the current model. They may get a little more creative with the use of interior space but the rear seat accomodations of the current one are cavernous. They'd be tredding on Avalon territory if they thought they needed to go any larger. Even my 02' EX has a generous rear seat.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    I know the CL-S was a much unloved vehicle, but for the first few years it did exactly that. It gave Acura something sporty to sell before adding the much of the same hardware to the TL.

Wife and I test drove an 01 CL, believe it was S model, and it was competent but inelegant. She ended up with an 01 TL and 3 years later got an 04 TL. The 01 TL had very good profile compared to CL.

Problem with last CL and previous gen Acura coupe and last 2 gen Accord coupes was proportion. There is just something wrong about the profiles. They don't look quite right. Kind of blocky, tall.

Concept Accord might be just a little to "racer-boy" flavor. Perhaps production will be toned down and grille can be improved. Maybe guys that did grille are the same that did the Ridgeline grille. Grille on concept has too many shapes, a lot going on, but somewhat a lack of integration of lines.
    With the 2nd gen CL, they just took the wrong approach to the chassis. The car was based on the TL and the styling of the TL was based on a long body line without a whole lot of rake to it. My wife and I chose an 01 TL over the CL, too.

When Acura designers tried to make a coupe based on the TL, they tried to force the long hood/short deck profile. (That is the current design philosophy.) However, the method they chose for shortening the rear stank. Rounding it off to create the illusion of a shorter tail didn't work because the front and shoulders still had the long, level body line. Without much rake to the profile, that stubby tail looked every bit as fake as it was.

The new Civic Coupe and the Concept Coupe both have the necessary rakish profile. They also share a sloped rear end, which creates that "short decklid" look much more effectively than the bubble butt design. And, more importantly, it works with the shape of the vehicle.

With that in mind, I think Acura can develop a nice-looking CL. They have a good shape in the Concept Coupe. All they need are the right details and mechanicals.