Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Alan Mulally Retirement Plans - Good or Bad for Ford?

2»

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    a 9, at least. Their idea to sell off assets long ago and to borrow privately enough money to get them through without borrowing from U.S. taxpayers has been a sales pitch for Ford that their best salesman would never be able to match. Bravo, Mulally!

Let me up that to a 9.5 out of 10. ;)

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The stock is up again today, so the market is liking what Ford is doing (today's bump, if it lasts, is more likely due to the UAW concessions with Chrysler - they should trickle over to Ford and GM).

It would be nice to see Ford actually start making some money again though.
    of course it would be nice for Ford to start making money again. Ask gagrice, he owns some Ford stock. :shades:

It's funny how stock prices don't necessarily reflect what the balance sheet looks like though.

I hope Mulally has some stock options himself and cashes in too.
    yeah, and it's also funny how oil prices don't always accurately reflect market conditions, Obama objectives, global warming fears, etc. The oil industry is basically, even though they tell us it's all very logical and well-meaning and all, run by greed. The sooner I hop off their gravy train of inequity the better.

Gonna grab onto a "clean" coal car eh? :P

Of all the evils, drilling a hole in the ground is less damaging than a lot of the alternatives.

What would Alan do?

Or maybe the question is, is he still switching after making this comment last July?

"Mulally also said Ford will double its production of hybrid vehicles next year, becoming the second-largest provider of hybrids in North America after Toyota."

link
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I agree he's done a good job. However, he faces some tough potential situations in the near future. Not just if the economy goes further south, or stays trapped where it is for a long time, but he's looking at a possible GM bankruptcy that may not go as smoothly as hoped (look at the Delphi Chapter 11 mess that still isn't resolved). That will probably cause big time vendor problems, shortages and cost pressures. If GM gets a big cost advantage out of a successful bankruptcy and Ford is doing better, they may not be able to get the same advantageous terms from their employees, vendors and dealers, hence they could wind up with higher production costs than a low cost, restructured GM. That could be a big longer term impediment. There is also the possibility of big time inflation due to all this government debt down the road. That is usually ugly for manufacturing. Personally, I think its good Ford has him right now and hope they can keep him around. If the industry rights itself, I hope Ford doesn't return to its fiefdoms and self serving managers and executives, that ugly history returning would probably get Mulally to bail quickly.
    how many self-serving Ford managers Mulally's already angered in this "drive" to come out of this money depression and slowed-down sales. He's the Man, and he has the authority to topple little Ford Kingdoms inside the Big Ford House if he sees the need. As I recall working at Boeing in Everett, WA, when Mulally was the CEO there, he was not one to shrink back from making the important decisions of any variety and generation, if they need to be done and benefit the Company in the end. I do think Mulally's sound as a pound.

did any of you see this story?

At 9:08 yesterday morning, a team of drivers managed to surpass the 1,000 mile mark in a production 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. An astounding feat considering that all of the miles were driven on only one tank of gas. But with 1/3 tank of fuel left, the team pushed on.

At 5:37 am this morning, they finally burned their last drop of gas. The team recorded 1,445.7 miles on a single tank of fuel and finished with an average fuel economy number of 81.5 miles per gallon.

81.5mpg?! Hypermiling or not, them are some good miles-per-gallon numbers, gentlemen!

http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1020291_fusion-hybrid-finally-runs-out-of-ga- - s-1445-7-miles-on-single-tank-81-5-mpg

Through gentle throttle usage and cautious driving, eh? I can do that. :shades:

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    It sure looks as though Alan Mulally is indeed making the grade, by srillfully and skillfully turning Ford around. He's doing it with a minimum of hoopla and drama, by applying sound management practices and staying focused.
    I'd like to see him take a tougher look at pricing. I think they overpriced the Edge, and now are doing the same thing with the new Taurus. This mistake stalls a car out after initial sales and leads to too much incentives increasing depreciation and possibly tarnishing the vehicle. Overall though, I think Mulally is doing a great job and maybe the same can be said for the Ford family because this time they don't seem to be interfering with his turnaround decisions. Now lets see better fuel economy on traditional cars and better long term reliability after the warranty expires. Looking at the Honda forums, they seems to be falling down on the job which gives D3 an opportunity.
  • xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    Read article about Mullaly in Fortune recently. Was impressed. He was top engineer at Boeing responsible for 777.
    It's not all roses yet, but "Ford's second-quarter results show the automaker is improving its financial position and narrowing losses. Further, Ford's results beat analysts' forecasts."

Ford Reports $2.3 Billion Net Profit, $424-Million Operating Loss (AutoObserver)
  • gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    You got to love it. My $1.76 F shares keep looking better and better. The best performance in my 401K. Ford may bring me back to where I was in 2007. Not far to go now. Ford is at $6.98 right now. The sooner GM and C crash the better for Ford. Get rid of the unfair competition in the auto industry.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I admire your risk taking, however, I'm waiting for Employment, Personal Income, Production, & Sales to increase prior to getting back into the market in a big way.

Today was good, but in one or two chapters a book it does not make. ;)
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918

"Today was good, but in one or two chapters a book it does not make"

Very true statement. But the one that counts is "buy low, sell high". Too many people "sell low and buy high". In other words, they wait too long to get into the market. If you have been in the market since March, you are having a fantastic year despite the continued economical struggles.

Very happy to see Ford doing better. Rented a Fusion last week. Nice vehicle. Build quality was good. Didn't necessarily see the fuel savings or benefits from the 6 speed tranny. The HVAC/radio controls were a bit confusing. Way too many buttons but that seems to be the norm now in most cars. I like my 3 simple buttons in my 2006 Camry. Barely have to look away to make the changes.
    With Ford taking the lead in domestic car and truck sales in February, and it's improving financial performance, I feel that Alan Mulally deserves credit. While Ford isn't out of the woods yet, it's showing good progress.
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    About a year ago the stock sold for 1.65, today it closed at 12.78.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda :blush:
    edited March 2010
    Me too - my basis was around $4.75. So the stock only "doubled" and then some for me....

The Ford family must be breathing a bit easier, in spite of having hocked the company to the gills.

The Stock Market and Investing
    edited October 2010
    Given Ford's condition when he became CEO, I'd give Alan Mulally an A so far.
    as well. Alan Mulally is doing a great job. However, a car company requires a bunch of talented people to get good, competent, reliable cars built, and Alan is surrounded by so many good people around him it would make your car crazy head spin.

edited October 2010
    Granted, the CEO shares the credit or blame, but the CEO leads and sets the tone. Think Steve Jobs at Apple versus Jacques Nasser at Ford.

Presumably, Ford had a bunch of talented people before Mulally became CEO, but were stifled by the culture. Now, the fact that Ford was in desparate shape, and sinking fast when Mulally was selected by Bill Ford removed roadblocks for changing the culture and Ford's direction.

I think the next big test for Mulally and Ford is whether Lincoln can again become one of the top luxury brands. Given where Lincoln is currently, and that this will require competing outside North America, this is a formidable challenge.

Incidentally, I've never worked for Ford or the auto industry, so my comments are based on what I've read and interpreted.
    and they've given me something to think about and watch here from the cheap seats of NE Nevada. Snow is soon to arrive, BTW. :surprise:

Mulally has been running Ford for four years now. He also turns 65 this year. You have to wonder how the culture at Ford (not to mention the stock market) will react if he decides to retire.

Then again, he lives three miles from the office, goes in at 5:15 am, and works 12 hour days. He'd probably go stir crazy if he retired.

His bet on small cars may yet bite him though.
    "His bet on small cars may yet bite him though."

I read this a lot, but I'm not sure its really true? Ford still dominates trucks. The only ones they are dumping are the old Explorer and Ranger whose sales are declining and whose CR black dot quality ratings hurt Ford. Ford is closing and converting plants in reaction to sales volume. I think the "small car" line comes about because they are in the news right now with Fiesta and Focus. But what they are really doing is combining these vehicles into a more worldwide car so they can be built economically, and profitably everywhere. I think the big hole in their lineup down the road is in smaller CUV's. The Escape is old and the Edge, despite its 2011 update, is heavy giving it mediocre mileage for its relatively small interior. It is also becoming too expensive compared to what it offers versus alternatives. I think GM has hit a potential home run here with the new Equinox, presuming its apparent electronic glitches are resolvable, because the vehicle gives flexible space and decent mileage while improving on the noisy and bumpy ride of competitor's like CRV and RAV4. I agree that Fusion could use more plant capacity though. The Expedition is getting a bit long in tooth, but GM has the same issue with Suburban while still selling a bunch. I think the big issue for Mullaly is margins. They've improved with Ford, but there is a potential for a big return if he can fix Lincoln (not an easy thing by any means though).
    Most observers credit Mr. Mullaly with doing an excellent job at Ford so far. The next major test for him and those he manages will be to re-establish Lincoln as a respected "gotta have it" luxury brand."
  • paytonsmompaytonsmom Member Posts: 3
    Like I've been saying all along. Ford Builds the worse vehicles in the U.S.A .
    The company lies, delays recalls and is totally ruthless with it's consumers.
    If you (Ford) know there is a safety risk for your customers, why do you (Ford) delay recalling? Because Ford doesn't care about it's customers, so why give Ford your business? I say Boycott, there are plenty of other vehicles to choose from.
    Ford recalled my car 9 months after my son burned to death, they knew about that safety issue too, but delayed , and denied any fault, case was dismissed in Detroit. (don't transfer your case to Detroit, it will never get out.
    http://paytonsmom.blogspot.com/2011/03/ceo-alan-r-mulally-and-bill-ford-jr.html?- spref=tw
    if you thought Dee-troitt was ugly in the 40's take a long look at it today. I am so very sorry to hear of this news, paytonsmom. Alan Mulally, if he had any integrity at all, would personally call you up, apologize, and then write you a check off his own personal checking account for $5 million dollars.

Then apologize again. But he won't. All Alan cares about is the money. That's how this evil system of things works. Or should I say doesn't work.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    What?

Detriot (intentional) was still in its golden years during the 40s.

Mulally, not being a lifer like most of the sycophants GM has installed into lead positions in the past several generations, has done better than most of his domestic counterparts. Look at what came before him.

All execs are about huge compensation first and foremost, it's our defective breed of capitalism at work...but some actually are around for better results than others.
    edited April 2011
    not the seedy underbelly of Dee-Tro-itt in the 40's. Al Capone, Sketter Jenkings, the likes of whom you in the soft Pacific NW have never seen before. Alan Mulally is simply a sheep in wolve's clothing, too. He's not the angel you make him out ta be.

He's ruthless and cold. Not kosher. Her story is tragic. She deserves a check for $5 million from A.Mulally. Before he pays her personally out of his own pocket he owes her an apology. We've really hit the ker-plunker in this pathetic wannabe nation.

In America, the first hint of a problem tends to quickly put the lawyers in charge.
    Every city has a seedy underbelly. Seattle is as corrupt and cold as any, if you look close enough.

No CEO is an angel, but look at some of the garbage he replaced, and his peers in other industries. He's a lesser evil at most, at least he has something for his tenure.

If you want to see not kosher, look at some of the figures who have controlled the Korean makes you so lust after...
    edited April 2011
    automatically make the German carmaker's CEO's...leaders?

Nope, just more mostly empty suits, who worked their way up through cronyism and being good sycophants.

I loathe the CEO class and would not cry if many of them met the same fate as 18th century French elites, but I don't see how Mulally is so evil. Look at the crap that ran GM over the past 40 years and compare.
    edited April 2011
    I actually agree with you and I must say, you know how I put down German cars? Well, if I had the money I would probably go test-drive an Audi A4 or another Audi and possibly buy one. It is all in good fun. You are my Seattle connection on Edmunds and you know I'm only about 311 miles east of you now. I'm in little 'ole Kellogg, ID. Home of Dave Smith Motors. Dave Smith Motors is the World's Best Selling Chrysler dealer! No kiddin'. And he is the Pacific NW's best-selling Chrysler dealer and there's been reports he's the World's 3rd Largest Chrysler dealer.

The closest Mitsu dealer is about 65 miles west in Spokane. But the problem I have with myself when I put down German cars is I haven't test-drove them all! Another Edmund's member, jimbres, lets me know that I'd probably love the drive of a German car so I'll just shut up and reserve judgement for later. After I actually know more of what I'm blabbling about. And I did mean spelling of that word to say blabbling. :P

Here's a German concept I'm really kind of interested in test-driving, if it gets built. And I think VW will build this minibus.

image2013 VW Minibus Concept

This rig has shot to No.3 on my futures list of purchase possibilities. They're mentioning the 'E' word with it, in that VW is designing it to be an all-electric powertrain. Put it #3 behind the 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS Hybrid with S-AWC (a must because of Kellogg's snowy, icy winters that last about 6 months), the 2013 Kia Rio hatchback in ICE form, and now this. But this one, if it can reach the 186 miles of range that I just read about they are advertising, could shoot to No.1 on my list in a Seattle minute.

I would translate that 186 miles to a more realistic 135 miles, actually. More usually always means less with all-electric powertrain fantasia's.

I like these seats as well. I am seriously considering a VW product for purchase-this would be an iluv first. I wonder what product VW uses to make these seats. It is white and the Chow Chow and Pomeranian would make mincemeat of them (as in dirtying them)...or would they? Look closely at those seats. They look vinyl on the side and cloth in the center. Humm...have ta just wait and see in the test drive about those.

Did you guys know this concept was first unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show in Jan. of 2001? Wow! I had no clue.

2013 New World Order VW "crewcab" Minibus"

Wheelbase:

118.1 inches

Length:

185.5 inches

Height:

75.0 inches

Engine:

3.2 liter 230hp V6

Transmission:

5 speed Tiptronic

Tires:

245/45R20H tires
    (yes, 20" wheels!)

My 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has 215 45R18 sized tires. And the Hankook's cost me $200.52 a tire. This VW Minivan's will cost me even more to replace, you know that, don't you?

Of course, these Hankook's have a lifetime rotation and replacement Warranty on them, too. For $20.00 a tire Discount Tire will rotate them for free for life and replace them, if anything ever happens to the tire from an injury while driving. It doesn't cover "normal wear and tear" but with all the crap on the road out there the Warranty covers road damage injuries that kill the tire. And free rotations for the life of those tires. I pondered it for a bit, then bought it. Not such a bad deal, really.

fintail-I'm catching the German car bug! It's happened...finally. Actually, I was taught to drive stick in a 1966 VW Fastback. That was such a fun car to drive. Shouldn't be such a surprise ta me that I would one day desire to purchase my own VW. This is a likely color choice for the VW Bulli.

My favorite dog is the Pomeranian, and they come from the upper German province of Pomerania. Come on, now. Get with the program y'all! It's all German! Germania!

Is Dallas with the tall German Dirk Nowitski finally going to prevail in the NBA playoffs and...ummm...actually advance to the...eeekkk...2011 NBA Finals?

German-build quality? Can VW build this thing with rock-solid electricals...including the all-electric powertrain? Can they? Do it! I challenge you ta do it properly the first time, VW!

Am I right?

German build quality is usually top notch. Even German Fords (gotta be on topic) are often very good cars - the basis for many of Ford's world offerings now. German electrical quality...well, it's a crapshoot. You get driving pleasure at the price of maintenance. Nothing is free.

Is there any kind of German make dealer in ID, or do you have to go to Spokompton? The little bus looks fun, but the transition from concept to production can sometimes be painful.

20" wheels on that little thing? Impractical, won't see the real world. I spent over $1200 for a set of tires for my car - after rebate. I don't want to hear about tire costs :shades:
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Uh oh. Iluv has caught the German car bug!

I'll tell you the nicest driving cars I ever dealt with were German. Next were probably Swedish. I keep ending up with Japanese name plates because of the reliability - certainly not the fun factor, though until recently Honda always tried to put some fun in their cars.

That 01 microbus was a different thing from what they are talking about now. I saw that 01 job at the MY Auto Show in 01. At the time they were talking about maybe producing it. Sadly they didn't. This current one sounds like they'll really do it. That would be a treat.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    really becoming a world automotive power...ohh...oh...you say they've always been an automotive world power? Of course they have. What I mean by this comment is that they're coming back from the comatose state they've been in for a while and are producing some fine motorcars (trucks have always been there and SUV's have been pretty rock-solid as well) these days. With great reliability, and it's the reliability that is making more hits with me than the SYNC and other Microsoft connectables. Though those can be fun, if they really work, and that is what I'm talking about. Apparently the 2012 Ford Focus electro-sound toys are not working all the time, adding to new car purchase irritation.

edited April 2011
    VW Minibus concept named 'Bulli'

Looks just like a futuristic, smaller than bus...bus. Looks just like it's supposed ta look. And it's lookin' hot. I really think V-Dub-L-You oughta build this pup. I'm practically planning for it in my budget for 2013 right now. :shades: Though the bus may not come out until 2014. In which case it will give me more time ta save. The '08 Lancer GTS will be paid off in May of 2013 and will be worth around $7 or $8,000 by that time, which should be worth about $6,000 in trade at a V-Dub-L-You dealer in Spokane, WA, round about that time.

You can never plan big purchases too early V-Dub-L-You...get crackin'!

• paytonsmompaytonsmom Member Posts: 3
    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
    I want people to know, That my family did not receive one penny from Ford Motor Company, and my son's case is dismissed. I spend my time writing these post to educate the consumer, and hopefully save some lives.
    A few more points, I wish to make is that the passenger's family of the Lincoln car fire did settle with Ford Motor Company.
    And the cruise control switch was found, and x-rayed by experts several times, and was found to have internally failed.
    Also, I received a phone call the night the car fire happened from my son, saying "something smells wrong with the car, up or jump" and the phone went off.
    2 hours later I heard a heavy knock on my door, that every mother dreads. Stating they had found my car , and there were two bodies in the car, one big ,one small and not recognizable. My child was dead, burned to death. My life will never be the same. But, Alan Mulally gets an award , gets millions for being so great.
    But, Judge Bernard A. Friedman did not believe I had a case, and denied the case to be transferred back to Texas, where it was originally filed.
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    How can you give a CEO an " A" when in AUGUST 3, 2006 -- Ford Motor Co. has cumulatively recalled 6.7 million vehicles since January 2005 that are equipped with a Texas Instruments speed control deactivation switch that has been linked to dozens of engine fires.

Allan Mullaly was not employed by Ford at that time.

If you want to blame Ford I have no problem with that. I have certainly had my issues with them though not at all to the degree you did, but Mulally is part of the solution.

Courts, meanwhile, are odd things. There is no logic to them and huge injustices are overlooked while at other times frivolous suits are rewarded.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    "frivolous suits are rewarded"

No kidding.

You can thank greedy trial lawyers and jurors that shouldn't be serving for that!

And, you're right. Mulally can't be blamed for something that happened when he wasn't there.

Were it not for his business sense, Ford may not exist today.
    "Ford Motor Co. has named Mark Fields its new chief operating officer, company chairman Bill Ford Jr. and CEO Alan Mulally said Thursday in a conference call.

Fields, currently Ford's President of the Americas, will take over his new position effective Dec. 1. Mulally, currently CEO, will remain in that position until at least 2014."

Ford taps Fields as COO; Mulally remains CEO (Detroit News)

2014 sounds like a long way off, but if Mulally decides to leave on 1/1/14, then we're really jut looking at 13 months before the handoff.

Call it two years if he steps down at the end of 2014.

Sucession plans have been laid and Mulally is currently 67 (the new 57). Better to set something up now, like Apple did, and trust that the scheme and pending retirement won't be a drag on the stock value.
    edited November 2012
    The Detroit News has "fixed" their article to conform with Ford's press release, which says that Mulally will stay on as president and CEO "through at least 2014".

Mark Fields becomes COO and the obvious successor. The WSJ reports that "Ford officials stopped short of specifically naming Fields the next CEO, but both Mulally and Ford said they're rather see an internal candidate take over the top job than to hire someone from outside the company.

That was not the opinion in 2007 when Ford hired Mulally away from Boeing, a decision that at the time, many said was a risk because he was not an automotive expert."
    The Fields choice is kind of interesting and there may be some differences of opinion because while he has been a key player under the Mulallay turnaround, he was also a key player during the disastrous previous management leadership. Also, as North American chief, he is sitting at the top while the quality is bombing. Probably just depends on whether he keeps himself in with the Ford family.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I rather doubt Ford stockholders who bought at $18.97 in January 2011 are very pleased with today's stock prices.
    I think there was some of that "irrational exuberance" initially when Ford avoided BK. Truth is, I think they would have been better off restructuring because they had to leverage the hell out of themselves to avoid BK, keep too much fixed cost and then get shafted by hardline UAW as a return for it. But it did keep the Ford family firmly in control with a minority financial holding through their special class of stock shares. Don't want to be totally negative though, because a lot of the Mulally changes are going to help them out for a long time as long as the Ford family can keep personalities, internal politics and the like out of it after he retires. They can't afford to go back to the old management and leadership model they had before Mulally's leadership.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Good points!

Without knowing all the ins and outs of what goes on at Ford behind closed doors, it seems to me, as a rank outsider, that Ford made a strategic error in trying to go into the software business. They really should have hired Silicon Valley to develop all their driver/car interfaces. Their systems haven't worked out too well.