Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester Electrical Problems

csmocsmo Member Posts: 2
edited October 2014 in Subaru
Wifey took it too do some errands and shut it off and it failed to start jumped it it and it ran fine for a bit. The battery was bad so we changed it but prior to that it would fade the radio out in between shifting. Changed cables they were corroded tried to start it and nothing just the litttle sound telling me that the key was in the switch not lights no accessories nothing at all? Hoping someone can give me a lead I heard something that it might be the ignition not sure just tired of searching and coming to dead ends.

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Have you had your alternator checked?

tidester, host
  • csmocsmo Member Posts: 2
    I would if I could get the thing to turn over but right now the only thing that is getting power is the door ajar sound other than that we have nothing
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Luckily it's very very easy to change on a subaru. Should take about 45 min at the most.

-mike
  • gringodamigringodami Member Posts: 4
    3 batteries and 2 alternators and the cars still dies the next morning on my 2000
    I have a 2000, changed 3 batteries and 2 alternators in 1 month finally mechanic put in an overide switch which I turn off and on each time I turn on or off the car hopefully someone knows the answer
    an aftermarket alarm?
    aftermarket stereo?

Sounds like some kind of draw on the system although I think your mechanic may be taking you for a ride with 3 batteries and 2 alternators. Batteries may get run down but they don't go bad in a month.

-mike
    radio stolen 2 years ago no alarm system. mechanic is related so no charges except 1 battery and 1 alernator
    perhaps when the radio was stolen they left a short somewhere in the dash, this could be causing the battery to run down on you.

-mike
    seems like it was to long ago to say it was the radio. Does everyone have poor power with the lights and defroster when the ebrake is on I notice considerable more power when I release the ebrake? (I have 5-speed and live in cold climate thats why I warm up the car in the morning and notice that lack of power with the ebrake on. didnot no if this is the problem but mechanic says that it is the same on all subarus
  • gocerygettengocerygetten Member Posts: 13
    Please help. How do you disconnect the seatbelt warning on my 2007 Forester. I start my car and let it warm up for a few minutes and then back it up park it and get out to shut the garage door.The whole time its beeping to put on my seat belt.It even beeps when im not in the car.I dont want to put it on to take it off to put it on again.Can I pull a fuse,snip a wire, put some wires together,pull a relay or stuff something in something.What a poor design,at least wait until I put it in gear or go down the road.
  • alyosha73alyosha73 Member Posts: 35
    Could anyone provide instructions for fog light bulb replacement for Subaru Forester 2004. I purchased at the dealer's part number 84920GA400, however they wanted to charge for installation, even though they claimed there is never an install charge on any light bulbs bought from the dealer. Can anyone help with any info?
  • mike185mike185 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 Forester that I purchased last June. Great car. We just purchased a 2006 Outback for my wife. But, about last November the battery light and the brake light in the dash cluster started going on and off. I can not see any dimming of the head lights when this happens and it has never gone dead. We have put on 12000 miles since we got it. Now the door ajar light is on and will not go off, even when the others lights go out. I have been to my mechanic and the dealer. Both wanted to replace the alternator, but I don't want to put in 400 when it is not needed. Any ideas? Oh, and if I am sitting in the car, with the engine running, and the light flickers, I can hear static in the radio. But that goes away once the light is on/off.
    Batt Light + Brake Light = Bad Alternator, however you should put it in yourself it's fairly in-expensive and about 15 min for a non-mechanic to do.

-mike
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I concur with Mike. Those are the same symptoms my 2001 Forester exhibited when the alternator went bad.

Len
    Okay, I will replace it. Thanks for the help.
    Mike
  • dekimdekim Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have a 2002 Forester and my digital clock is no longer displaying the time. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I don't see anywhere that a lithium battery would go so I'm guessing that it's something else.

Thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Did you check the fuses? I think it's wired to the car's electrical system.

-juice
    Just an update. I replaced the alternator, which thankfully was fairly simple as it was about 10 outside. It took care of the batt / parking lights. But after doing so, the side marker lights started flashing, even with the key off. They flash about 30 times, stop for ten seconds, and then cycle again. I can hear a relay under the dash clicking. The door ajar light has been on for some time, but this is new. Also, I cannot find a Haynes manual for this car. Does anyojne have a part number for a manual that I can buy?
    Could be an alarm system that was reset when you disconnected the battery?

-mike
    Another update- After reading the last post, I pulled the door lock fuse. (I don't have an alarm) That shut off the flashing parking lights. So I put it back in and then used the keyless lock device and cycled through lock / unlock. No more flashing lights!
    Thanks again. Mike185
  • dgoodmandgoodman Member Posts: 2
    I seem unable to turn the parking lights (both front and rear)
    off after driving my 1998 Subaru Forester.
    Only solution I've come up with so far is to
    remove the specific fuse.
    That works, but is not real convenient.
    Is there any alternative to replacing the full switch
    assembly (lights, turn signals, brights, etc)?
    Thanks.
    Switch on top of your steering column. It is for the parking lights. Because the headlights turn off with the key, in an emergency situation you can leave on your parking lights and hazards without the key.

-mike
  • zancatzancat Member Posts: 2
    Thank you Mike!
    I've had my car for nearly five years now, and I never noticed that switch. A few minutes ago my husband decided to clean the inside of my windshield When he came back in, he told me my lights were still on (guess he bumped the switch). We were scratching our heads trying to figure out how to turn them off, when I decided to come back inside and try the forum. So thanks again for clear and timely info!
    Sandra
    Glad it helped, it's fairly common on the subies!

-mike
  • dgoodmandgoodman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much 'paisan'.
    My dog must have switched it on.
    I thought I had checked it, but obviously not
    well enought.
    Cheers.
  • 2tall12tall1 Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 Forester’s digital clock has gone out. I asked the dealer to fix it for me thinking it was no big deal and he said you had the replace the entire assembly. Is this true just for a clock?

Plus, I have been having some general electrical issues lately. My compass was crazy for about a month this past September (never provided the correct orientation). I tried everything the manual said and it never fixed itself. The one day it did, go figure. The drivers heated seat switch light keeps going out as well. It was out for three months or so and now is working again. Dealer told me that was a $90 part to fix. I can do without the light. Is my electrical system going out or am I just loosing my mind?

Michael
    2002 Forester. I have replaced all the pads and the two from rotors. Total milage is 83k. Whe I brake at freeway speeds the car feels like it's shaking like a wet dog. I asked the dealer if the rotors are worped and he said no but wanted $180 to make sure. Do you know what this might be?
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    Several possibilities. 1) If the rotors were turned when the pads were replaced, it is possible that they are now too thin and may have warped.

2) At this mileage, the rear pads/shoes could need replacement.

3) Ice on the rotors or wheels.

4) Was everything put back together properly when they were serviced?
    My bet is that it's pad deposits in the rotors. Very few rotors on cars this light will actually warp.

Take the wheels off and use some sand paper to wipe down the rotors and remove any pad deposits.

-mike
    Check the torque on the lug nuts. They may just have overtightened the lugs.

That's the easy fix, so let's hope it's that.

Beyond that, I bet the rotors are warped, 83k is a lot of miles, depending upon how hard you are on the brakes.

-juice
    I actually replaced the rotors about a year or so ago because I was having the same problem. Put everything back together and bam, it came back even worse. I have had the rotors grinded down and inspected buy two different machanichs and they just was to keep doing the same thing. Plus, at high way speeds it still shudders. Perplexed. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and pay for someone to fix the whole thing and get a warenty attached to it. Arg, I wish I new more about cars. :confuse:
    What is the issue associated with this? If you give us some more in depth info we can help.

-mike
    If they were already re-surfaced and they still shudder, it's probably time for new rotors. Last time I was at the auto supply store with my sister getting brake pads, we asked the price for rotors just out of curiosity, and IIRC they were only $150 or so.
    $150 is a lot for stock rotors w/o install.

I never get rotors resurfaced, if they are at a point where they are that bad, then it's time to replace them. A relatively cheap solution considering they are your brakes.

I would say get the rotors, pads and fluid replaced, can't hurt and should be ~$500 even using "expensive" parts.

Also make sure the torque on the lugnuts is correct at about 85lbs if they are overtightened they can also shake.

-mike
    I think that was for a pair, so $75 a pop. I'd replace them in pairs no matter what.
    $150 a pair is pretty high. I think for the Mountain Rotors we charge like $90 or $100/PAIR

-mike
    I didn't shop around. We just asked the guy behind the counter when he was looking up the pads. We only changed her pads, as the rotors were OK (still are).

Dad's heading out on a 2400 mile road trip, so I helped do a little check up. We changed the brakes, bled them. The only other thing I told him to get was new tires, and he just put those on two.

Bon Voyage. Off he goes on Sunday to NC, then GA, FL, and back.
    Nice stuff.

I've been getting bad reports on the C320 so now it's back to LGT or 3.0R I can't ever make up my mind. I'm on the Fence with you Juice!

-mike
    I'll move right over and make room for ya. :shades:
    Thanks mate! It is a nice view from the fence here though. :)

-mike
    Yeah, you can see every option you have for purchases while you slowly decide to waffle for a few more months like me. :D
    Throw in the new impreza now too. Yippie another choice!

-mike
  • applejennaapplejenna Member Posts: 1
    I was driving through a rough patch of the expressway and heard a sound like something had fallen in the backseat, then a sound like something in the trunk rolled and hit the back of the rear door. Then, a sound like something kicked up under the car and slammed into the car. I thought it was just a rock or something from the roadwork and just kept driving. Then, as I was getting off the expressway and when I switched my turning signal, it made its normal clicking sound for a second, then stopped. My signals were no longer working! I went to roll down the windows to make a hand signal and the power windows weren't working! Radio continued to work, but the speedometer, mileage reader and temp. weren't working, but the car drove fine. Hazards worked, too. Then heading back home on the expressway, there were no problems until I hit some traffic and had to stop and go. When going I felt a little hesitation. Off the expressway, the hesitation became more regular. Knocking sound when I braked. Also, noticed a clicking sound as the car idled. Finally got to our garage, and the knocking sound returned, big knocking, then lots of hesitation. Parked, turned the key to the off position, but it wouldn't go all the way. Key was stuck!! I tried to start the car again and it was just a ticking sound, no sound of the car trying to start. Later that night, I went back to the car and started it. It tried to start, lights started flickering, but wouldn't start. I went into the off position and was finally able to get the key out. What could the problem be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've spent so much money on problems with this car and I'm at my wit's end! :confuse:
    Sounds like dead battery and/or alternator.

-mike
  • dublggdublgg Member Posts: 1
    Its not a great idea to cut rotors more than once as once they are too thin they overheat and warp....but new rotors should take a light cut because if they have been stored improperly they may be warped coming out of the box! Another thing that may have been overlooked is wheel balancing...out of balance wheels will cause the same symtoms as disc/rotor run out....
  • amandagrhmamandagrhm Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 99 Subaru Forester a few months ago and when I was cleaning it the other day the parking lights came on. I tried everything I could think of to turn them off but they stay on unless I pull the fuse from the main fuse box. Any ideas on what is causing this or a cheap fix?
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    edited June 2011
    Long shot here, but there is a switch for the parking lights located on the top of the steering column. If that switch is on, the lights will stay on at all times, even with the key out of the ignition. You may have hit that while cleaning and didn't even realize it! It is a very non-standard feature, so it is easily overlooked.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.