Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet Tracker Rusted Crossmember Subframe

Comments

• vtfarmboyvtfarmboy Member Posts: 10
    Dont understand? All you have to do is follow the money. If it cost 850 dollars each to fix and they sold about 175 thousand Trackers in just 2000 alone. They wont do a full recall untill the NHTS board makes them. I have been checking the NHTS site and there still has not been a recall in the US. I dont know about canada. It has been sent to an engineering study which is the final step to forcing a recall. I think GM is just trying to make themselves look better by sending the letters. Acording to my dealer on friday November 2nd there still was not a official recall on my 2000 tracker two door.
  • jredderjredder Member Posts: 11
    so are you saying these letters are a scam and they will just deny all claims? i'm sending back my letter with the requested information, i guess i'll see what happens...
  • adicleadicle Member Posts: 6
    Just got back from the dealer and they said my Tracker QUALIFIES for the crossmember replacement. They ordered the part and should be in next week. Looks like Chevy is following up on all these complainrs.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    "so are you saying these letters are a scam and they will just deny all claims? i'm sending back my letter with the requested information, i guess i'll see what happens... "

If i remember correctly in the letter ive gotten your tracker can Not exceed 150,000 miles in order for them to replace it. That doesnt sound too unfair to me. Think about it. 150,000 miles.. how long should they cover it? if you didnt have failure by then it shouldnt be on them, if yours fails later. I wish everyone could get theirs replaced. But GM has to draw some sort of line as too whats covered. ya know. If you have a 1999 tracker with 275,000 miles and it then fails i think you got more than the expected life from their product... just my opinion.
    Well even though my Tracker is still in Georgia and I am here in Vermont i have just got a call from the dealer down there telling me that they have finally received notice that my tracker "Qualifies for special coverage" I should get atleast part of my 2800 dollars i paid to get it fixed i guess
  • cheesedoffcheesedoff Member Posts: 5
    the letters are for real, it is a legit recall-type thing now... I had to submit my original receipt and now just wait for head office to pay the local dealer, then I get my money back... just over $600 so looking forward to that for sure, hopefully it doesn't take forever or get 'lost' :)
    Squeaky wheel gets the oil, but in all fairness, it was a flaw and a potentially dangerous one at that...the guy said they were rusting from the inside out.
    Did your letters say it covered from 1999 to 2004 models? I used to own a 1999 tracker 2door. I got my letter over a month ago. But i also own a 2004 chevy tracker Zr-2 V-6. I havent gotten a letter for that model, even though my letter for my 99 tracker mentioned it covered all years of the tracker when it was last redesigned.
    I have the letter here, it is for 1999-2004, and it is up to 240,000 kms. The guy also said that it doesn't matter if you sell it to someone else etc, if you paid to have that work done and have the receipt, with GM or with another shop (as I did, I had to pull into the first shop I could find!) they will still pay for it, but you have to submit your receipts before Jan 31, 2009 apparently.
  • macdr50macdr50 Member Posts: 1
    Would someone be willing to send me a copy of your letter. Remove any identifying information. My son's 2002 Tracker has this problem and I have just left it with the dealer. GM hasn't sent out a service bulletin on this in Canada and I need some additional ammunition just in case they get sticky.
    I dont have the letter anymore. I got it after i had the repair and paid for it. I do however have a phone number you can call. Have your information ready before you call. VIN number etc...... If you qualify they will mail you the paperwork to get your repair or refund for the work done. I have sent my information in but have not as of yet received payment from Chevrolet. I sent it in back at the end of November.

the Phone number you can call is 1-800-222-1020

Call this number and follow the prompts. This is considered "Special Coverage" and not a warrentee or recall.however follow the prompts for warrentee service. they will determine if your vehicle is qualified.

If you do have the same problem as all of us seem to be having and they dont cover your tracker i would strongly urge you to keep all the receipts and information you get from your repair shop. If they extend the coverage to your model later it will save you alot of trouble.
  • adicleadicle Member Posts: 6
    Just got back from the dealer. Brand new crossmember with a wheel alignment to boot. I guess GM finally heard our screams.
    well, got my cheque from GM, it was $100 less than the bill...so still not overly impressed...if I got it done at the dealer it would have cost me more, they charge $70 an hour, the place I took mine too only cost $50 an hour....
    ..still have an inquiry in as to why they didn't cover the whole thing after saying they would...86% of the way there..
    *sigh* some companies just don't make things easy...not good, customer service is everything nowadays
  • tracker01tracker01 Member Posts: 1
    I called the 1-800-222-1020 number and found that my '01 Tracker is on the list,so I will be receiving a letter.Was also told that some '99-'04 Trackers are not affected as they were mfgd with correct parts.I need to take mine in to the dealer to have it inspected.
    I took my letter from chevy into my dealer today to set up an appointment to check my frams crossmember. When the lady seen the letter i was talking about she got a worried look on her face. I asked her whats wrong... she said the last tracker they got in was bad, and it took over 3 weeks for the parts to come in from chevy. chevy tells the dealers to not only replace the crossmember but to replace any rusty bolts. and the problem is, getting the replacement bolts! I told them lets hope mine isnt one of the trackers that need replacement...
  • thewolfethewolfe Member Posts: 6
    Well, I just got a call from GM and she wanted to talk to me about the resolution GM made for the paperwork I sent in for having my car repaired. Let me just say the letter is a little deceiving. (A little history) Back the last week of 2006 when my crossmember was found to be rusted we took it to the local Chevy dealer and there was no recall so it was going to cost almost $900.00. That was a big chunk of change for right after Christmas so I let my car sit in the driveway for almost four months until I was able to find a parts dealer online that had a crossmember for half the price the dealer was charging. I then had my personal mechanic install it, again for much less then the Chevy dealer was going to charge. Well, I got my letter, sent in my receipts and a brief history of the events that happened with my car along with the Chevy Dealer estimate which was $400.00 more then I paid and I thought I was doing GM a favor. Well, they didn;t waste any time letting me know they would only pay for my part and not the labor since he is not certified. I guess the almost $300.00 I am getting back is better then nothing, but I still gave them a piece of my mind. I really doubt I will ever buy another GM car again and will certainly tell everyone I know what I think of the GM customer service I received!
    I paid $1400.00 and had a chevy dealer do the work. (The actualy bill came to over 2000 but i had them do some other work while they were doing this.) They paid the entire amout of the repair for the corssmember and labor. I think the cross member was only like 800 dollars of the entire amout the rest was labor and some other parts that bent while either being repaird or when it let go. Sometimes even tho local garages are cheaper to get repairs done its best to go to a dealer. The only complaint with Chevy or GM I have is that this is clearly a safty issue i dont care what they want to call it and it should have been taken care of right from the start.

if you made the choise to go to a local mechanic that is your right. However when it comes to Warranty repairs any auto company is going to do what they did and only pay part to your mechanic. That is what almost all Auto Manufacturers do.
  • chistinechistine Member Posts: 4
    I got the letter in Oct of 2007 from GM. Last tuesday I was driving home and the steering felt loose. I thought maybe one tire was low. When I pulled to a stop the wheel turned to the left by itself when the vehicle was completely stopped. Later when travelling down the road the front end of the tracker jumped so violently that it felt like my fillings were falling out of my teeth. I got home and remembered the letter. Dropped the car off at dealer and left the keys and a note in the after hours drop off box. The next day they said they could not find a notice about the tracker for this condition. I actually had to fax my copy to them. Thank God I did not put my only proof in the envelope. Long story short, they called back said vehicle was unsafe but they ordered the parts. Was told Gm is covering it. Next day told part was in and car would be ready later. Called later and said that they talked to GM on my behalf and GM is also covering some bushings that need to be replaced. Those parts are being ordered fom Montreal and may be in on Monday. Would not give me a courtesy car and suggested I rent a car. All in all I am 95% satisfied with the service I have gotten. My only complaints is I have been without a car since Wednesday the 19th and I may get the car on the 24th if the part comes in. I wish they would have given me a car to drive.
  • drhodenizerdrhodenizer Member Posts: 1
    I live in Atlantic Canada and own a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 4dr 4wd with a control arm mount rusted off of the crossmember. Does anyone know if the Suzukis qualify for the Special Coverage granted by GM? Do I go to a GM dealer or a Suzuki dealer?
    i doubt GM with cover a NON GM product. I would think you would have to go and fight with suzuki about this since it is made by them and has their name badge on the car.. If you go into a GM shop asking about a warranty/fix for a metric car you might get some weird looks......
  • vmc1vmc1 Member Posts: 1
    I am in NL, had crossmember separate/crack completely on 2001 Vitara. I had purchased it used, the garage where it was under warranty called the Suzuki Dealership in town looking for the part and were informed that it was covered under the recall. No cost to me. It may take a few days to have it fixed, my understanding is that all the work is free.
  • steveh1155steveh1155 Member Posts: 6
    I realize this is an old discussion but I took my '99 Tracker in to the shop for what I thought was just a brake job - the mechanic said the lower control arm had detached from where it was bolted on & could have caused complete loss of steering, or if on the interstate the car could have flipped causing serious injury or death (cannot believe this isn't a recall yet!). The mechanic (said he had never seen anything like it & it should have been a safety recall) contacted a couple different people in GM who told him that since my car had over 150,000 (have 150,950 actual miles) they would absolutely not cover any repair (didn't we just bail them out!) Also had the brakes completely replaced front and back and had a new left front CV axle installed. Total price $2000 - about $800 was the crossmember replacement. Whew!!!
    Mine went on my 2000 about 2 years ago. The official response from GM was it would not cause catastrophic loss of control however it will be fixed under special conditions at no cost. They did cover mine even tho I was over my mileage for warranty. I suggest contact your chevy dealer and ask them specifically look up special conditions.
  • palkopalko Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2004 chevy tracker. The GM recall you want is Recall 06186 and the inspection is to GM Special Policy T5689 06186- Inspect Front Crossmember.- palko
  • lordinglording Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 tracker and received a service recall note. For ten years they would owner replacing front support member due to not being rustproofed right. I took it in to dealer 2008 and to test they use a punch and ballpeen hammer and they try to put hole in various places , no holes not required to replace. I don't know if this is just for oringinal owners? Lording
  • mellie27mellie27 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2011
    My front right arm bracket just rusted off the front crossmember suspension. My mechanic told me about the "recall"; however, when I went to the dealer I was told that my "VIN" number was NOT part of the "recall". I hate to say that my rep at the dealer was a woman because I am too, but I did not take this lying down. I called another dealer and explained the situation and gave them the "recall" number and got the same response, but this time the new rep, who was a man, said let me find out why not. That is when I was told it's not a "recall", but a SPECIAL GM EXTENDED WARRANTY. That is the language you need to use to get this resolved quickly. There are certain qualifying states, most in the midwest where snow and ice are factors, and I am in Michigan. The extended warranty is for 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever comes FIRST. My vehicle was dropped off to the dealer yesterday and they didn't have a chance to work on it, but it should be done today or tomorrow. Good luck to everyone.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    mellie27,

I aplogize I am unsure what you are referring to. I would like to look further into this for you, could you please provide the VIN, current mileage, full name, address and best contact number for our records sent to me in an email? Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Caron, GM Customer Service
  • meglyncmeglync Member Posts: 1
    funny story... i bought my car 2 years ago.

my subframe rusted away as well

my tracker is a 2000.... i found out about the recall january 14th, 2011! a few days short and you kno what that means? my tracker has been sitting in the driveway for a few months unless it is nessecary to drive.... cant afford the repair yet, thanks chevy for the heads up on the recall when i bought the friggen truck!

ok its not that funny but thats how my luck is, atleast im not spending money on gas right now right?
  • gerlesgerles Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the snowbelt in Montreal where salt is heavily used on the roads in winter. I recently bought a 2002 2 dr. ZR2 Tracker 4wd, with only 60k kilometers on it expressly for a little fun driving in the winter and light offroading. After reading several threads about the stiff steering problem(I do need to change the lower intermediate steering shaft), I stumbled upon frequent mentions of the rusted subframe. I checked mine out and discovered that it was hanging on by a rusty thread.

The subframe section supporting the control arms was heavily corroded, crumbling off in flakes at the touch. I was stunned that a car with such low mileage and otherwise extremely clean and well-maintained could have that problem.

I assembled all the relevant info, called the 1-800 number then took my Tracker to a local Chevy dealer. They informed me that the subframe is under the Special GM Extended Warranty coverage and they are replacing it at no charge. I was frankly expecting an argument but instead everybody from Chevrolet's 1-800 telephone customer service to the garage mechanic were open and helpful.

The Tracker is in the shop now and we'll see how it all turns out. Hopefully no surprises.

I would strongly recommend to any Tracker owner to have this potentially serious problem
    checked out whether or not it is still under warranty.

GM Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020 (USA) 1-800-263-3777 (CAN)

Be sure to have your VIN ready to confirm whether your vehicle qualifies for the SPECIAL GM EXTENDED WARRANTY, GM Special Policy T5689 06186 Cross member failure corrosion.
    As mentioned elsewhere on this board, there is a 10 year or 150k miles limit.

Good luck !

Georges Erles
    Montreal
  • zippodudezippodude Member Posts: 3
    My son was driving the tracker yesterday and the crossmember let go almost sending him off the road. I bought the Tracker used and was unaware of the Problem.. I just got off the phone with GM and was told there is no coverage and the rust through was probably due to age. I mentioned the GM special policy and was again told the i could not be helped any further and I should take it to the dealer to repaired at my cost. Needless to say, I am very disappointed in GM's response
    zippodude,
    Can you please send me the case number from your call? I would like to look into this further.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • vermianvermian Member Posts: 1
    I had this member replaced on my 2000 Tracker last year at my own mechanic. I would think that being the original owner of this vehicle, I would have been notified of the problem by GM, but I guess they figure if nobody knows about the problem, they won't have to pay to fix many. If I had known about this "special GM extended warranty" I would have taken it straight to the dealer, however now I am out the $$$, just the way GM wants it.
    vermian,

Could you please email the VIN? I would like to look further into your situation. Also, do you currently have the repair documentation?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • shirtguy1shirtguy1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a '99 chevy tracker that has the infamous suspension crossmember failure problem. Of course GM doesn't want to know anything and their response is nothing more than a huge vessel filled with BS. If you look in the right place you will find that Great Lakes 4 X 4 was handling the recall or warranty work to replace the crossmember. Doubt they did it out of their own generosity! Seems only logical that somehow GM was involved in the upgrade program, yet they claim there never was any such program. Apparently the only way it's going to get resolved is to purchase the part and replace it myself. I wouldn't even be wasting my valuable time writing this if GM had offered to just send me the part. I would gladly take care of the labor to complete the installation. As a taxpayer it's my understanding that I do own a stake in GM. How about them sending me the part as a dividend payment!!!! Wonder if I was register with the correct voting party, if it would be the same?
  • randman4randman4 Member Posts: 1
    I too am the original owner of a 1999 Chevy Tracker convertible. The vehicle has only 50,000 miles. We live in Michigan but very recently sold the car to our son about 3 weeks ago. He moved and took the car with him to North Carolina and this weekend had the same failure of the crossmember. He's now stranded without transportation in a new town with a new job. GM never contacted us about this issue which I would have had fixed had I known. Can anyone help?
  • aar08aar08 Member Posts: 3
    Hi - I had this "Crossmember Failure" couple of weeks ago. I called my local dealership on a Saturday am and they said to have it towed and they would look at it. I learned a lot about the issue through this forum BUT luckily, my service guy already knew about it. He said it is only done through a Licensed Chevrolet Dealer - you can call 1-800-CHEV-USA on a weekday to get the "Medium Duty" department. It is called a SPECIAL Extended Warranty for CrossMember Failure. Not all Trackers are covered so calling the 800 number will get information on your Tracker's coverage.

There are many other people who have actually listed the codes in this forum - so if you look/read further in this section you can find it as a point of reference when you call.

I called and in less than half and hour, my car was towed by AAA to the dealership and there was a hole found and it was replaced the SAME day on a holiday weekend.

I do not live in a large city area and I was nervous about this repair whatever it was because I recently needed a new battery and had to go to FIVE different places to find one.
    Overall, I had no problem - no issue and it was really great to be informed before making the call.

good Luck!
  • chvytrckrbearchvytrckrbear Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 chevy tracker 4wd and haven't received a vehicle recall since the electrical issues causing problems. I still have the vehicle and i love my truck.
  • chvytrckrbearchvytrckrbear Member Posts: 2
    Well zippo I hope all your concerns were looked at and followed through the right channels. I myself collect zippos the lighters and will not use any other lighters. The same will go for Chevy.. I have always had a Chevy since I was 16 and I will never veer from the line GMC used to be more customer oriented and they wonder why they almost collapsed in the recession a few years back..I still own my 1999 2DR 4WD Chevy Tracker Controvertible and I love my little truck its gotten me through some awesomely deep snow that upstate NY has had in the past 5 years. In fact i was plowed in at work all the way up to my side mirrors and almost covering my spare tire at work and I through it into 4 wheel and out i shot and i was the only one that could get out for lunch.. So I hope they can assist me in the same fashion about my cross member..I haven't received recall info since the electrical issues.
  • bnv1bnv1 Member Posts: 1
    My son was backing out of the driveway two days ago and he heard a popping noise, accompanied by the steering wheel jerking violently to one side. When he ran into the house and told me about it I told him NOT to even think about driving anywhere!. I carefully pulled the car into the garage. I looked under the car and saw that the mounting bracket for the control arm bushing on the passenger side, which is welded to the cross member, had pulled away, shearing nearly all the way out of the cross member.
    It scares me to think what could have happened if he was driving at any speed greater than that of backing out of the driveway. This could have, would have resulted in a very serious accident. Imagine making a left turn in an intersection and having the front suspension fail, unable to steer your way out of oncoming traffic. Maneuvering at highway speeds, the lethal scenarios of this type of catastrophic failure are countless.
    I called the dealer...after giving him the VIN number he told me my car was not covered under the recall since it had been over ten years (the car has 78k miles). I then called the 1-800-CHEV-USA and got the same story, but the girl on the phone wanted me to bring the car to my nearest Chevy dealer and they would be happy to fix the car and if it happened again it would be covered. She repeated this several times and I finally hung up.
    The response from General Motors is careless, reckless, incompetent and very disturbing. I have always owned GM vehicles. I will never own another one due to the fact that they don't stand behind their product.
  • 02rr02rr Member Posts: 7
    My 1999 Chevy Tracker (152000 miles) has an excessively rusted front crossmember. I contacted GM customer service through their website they set up an appointment with my local Chevy dealer for inspection. The Dealer inspected my vehicle for no charge noted on the work order excessive corrosion. Three days later I was contacted by GM customer service and informed that my vehicle was not being covered by the extended coverage program because my Vin# was not among those of covered vehicles. GM knew my Vin# before I ever went to the Dealer,any ideas how I might resolve this problem without losing faith in the Chevy brand?
  • gerlesgerles Member Posts: 5
    Follow up to post #80 Special GM Extended Warranty.

The Chevy dealer honored the Warranty, no argument, no fuss, no surprises.

It is unfortunate that this rusted crossmember was not a blanket recall for what is an obvious and serious manufacturing flaw. However, by standing behind the warranty as construed, Chevy has at least shown a willingness to act - a step in the right direction.

Like many Americans, I WANT to believe in the quality and integrity of the North American auto industry (though, yes, ironically the vehicle in question is a Japanese product!). The only way to regain consumer confidence is to design and build safe, efficient, quality vehicles that the times and the consumer demand, and then to stand behind their product, even if they have to bite the bullet at times.

At least in my case, Chevy came through. The fact that Chevy customer service is checking these boards and responding is a very encouraging sign and merits mention.

I hope for others with similar concerns that their situation is resolved equitably. Make your case and hopefully you will be given a fair hearing.

Good Luck
    GE
    My dealings with GM customer service left me disatisfied. Probably wont be back to a Chevy dealer anytime soon. Any suggestions for a Good replacement vehicle?
    02rr,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please send me your case number? I would like to look into this for you. Please feel free to email me directly with your concerns and experience as well. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • 2002tracker2002tracker Member Posts: 2
    Just took my 42K mile 02 Tracker in to be inspected because I had it on a lift and was very concerned about the amount of corrosion on the suspension crossmember. Per their bulletin "Dealers are to inspect the crossmember. If the crossmember shows signs of advanced corrosion or perforation caused by corrosion, the crossmember is to be replaced." Well after looking on mine I thought for sure the fact that it had layers of rust flaking off and the control arm mount brackets had thinned down to close to half their original thickness that it would be covered, not to mention the bolt heads holding the control arms on it look to be a size smaller due to rust. However, the dealer performed the required test with the hammer and flat tip punch and it passes for now....they say bring it back in a year and they will check it out again for me. What a bunch of BS, they know this is a failure mode of the suspension system and has led to accidents and yet they do nothing about replacing these BEFORE they cause accidents. It is not a question of if it will happen, it is a matter of WHEN it will happen. I think they are just waiting to see if they can get past the 10 year period so they don't have to cover it. I told them that they have told me it is safe for another year per their inspection and as such they are now liable for any accident related to the failure of the lower control arm due to the corrosion of the front crossmember. I just bought a new 2011 Camaro last year and now I am wondering why I still keep buying GM products. I think that will be the last!
  • garth62garth62 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2000 Chevrolet Tracker It was a used car when I purchased it Today Oct.15 2011 I had the front cross member replaced it was totally rusted out. per the mechanic For some reason I Google( What is a cross member on a vehicle )and there it was a Recall notice for 1999-2004 Trackers Total bill $2,189.24 Why had I not been notified ? This problem could have Killed me or someone else Plus I'm out a couple thousand dollars
  • garth62garth62 Member Posts: 2
    Password - Register Etc. I get confused some times any how I posted a Recall notice about my 2000 tracker cross member repair I wrote$ 2189.24 which is the cost for repair but that included 2 rear brake drums & front drive shafts & two tie rods The Cross member cost was only $ 908.00 ( parts & labour. ) All the other cost where parts worn out due to age of Tracker I think if you took your Tracker to a Dealer You bill would be about $ 1000.00 as your ball joints tie rod etc. will also be worn out and not covered by a recall.
  • fnr1fnr1 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 tracker has 35000 miles on it, i drive it every day i see the difference.. the dealer looks at me like i have five heads, and i'm a girl so how could i know. the original svc mngr is gone and the policy change is now out by months?
    I have a 1999 Chevy Tracker I was just recently denied coverage for front crossmember corrosion. I would suggest GM customer service either through their website or search through previous posts in this forum look for (gmcustsvc).
  • lmsc07ctlmsc07ct Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 99 Tracker and then found the rotted out crossmember during an oil change. Seriously, it's got 65K on it, and otherwise is in decent shape.Contacted GM customer service and hopefully it's still covered. If not, I have to drive this with my 7 month old son, and will have to repair it myself. Has anyone done it themselves after being rejected, and can we get the part from Suzuki???
  • zippodudezippodude Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a new crossmember from gmpartscenter.net for $215 plus shipping. My mechanic charged me $70 to put it in.

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/?i=2&make=116&model=691&year=1999&catid=30157&subca- tid=30955&section=19&type=parts
  • 2002tracker2002tracker Member Posts: 2
    Decided to just buy the new parts and replace it myself.....I am not happy about GM's decision to wait until this part rusts to the point of being a threat to my safety, so I have decided to foot the bill and replace it myself. I just bought the crossmember and whatever connecting bolts I could still get from them shipped for $260 and parts should be arriving today. I ordered the parts from Gmpartseast.com at a much reduced price compared to the local dealership.