Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Timing Belt

shakesbshakesb Member Posts: 1
I have recently bought Pre-Owned a 1998 Honda CR-V EX from a dealer in Cleveland. The vehicle has 85000 Miles onto it. I have read in the owner manual the recommendation to change the timing belt on 105000 Miles or 84 months/7 years which-ever is earlier.

Can somebody guide me if the timing belt change is necessary now since there are about 20000 miles possible on this vehicle. I requested the dealer to trace through the history of the service record and he confirmed that the timing belt has not been replaced earlier. The vehicle is owned and driven in Cleveland since 1998.

If the belt needs to be replaced what should be the estimate for the cost?

Comments

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The belt itself is about $70, but the labor is $400. If you get someone to replace the belt, have them replace the water pump as well. The pump will run about $100, but saves you the $400 in labor if it needs to be replaced a couple of months later.
  • zengszengs Member Posts: 6
    Yeah~!I had the same question.
  • scubaproscubapro Member Posts: 2
    I have read about interference and non-interference engines and I suppose that makes some sense, but how do you find out which engine a particular car has? If I decide to buy a 2003 VW Jetta with diesel engine, will the valves possibly bend [or other engine damage occur] if/when the timing belt should break? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can look up your car at Gates and they'll tell if your engine is interference or not.

I don't think their listing is foolproof (I think they are wrong about my minivan), so usual disclaimers.
  • charlesewcharlesew Member Posts: 18
    How can you determine if the timing belt has been changed in a vehicle?
    2000 Honda CR-V SE. 116,000 miles, appears well cared for, runs great, no service records available.

Charles
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    By 100,000 miles there should be some play in the chain (more than 1/2 inch). If it's fairly tight then it's probably been replaced.

tidester, host
    I'm pretty sure that 2002 was the first year for a timing chain in the CR-V.
    The same procedure doesn't seem like it would apply with a timing belt. :confuse:
    It it does, where do you check for this play?

Charles
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It it does, where do you check for this play?

I'll leave that for someone who has specific experience with the CR-V. Anyone?

tidester, host
  • lkh1999lkh1999 Member Posts: 2
    The dealer recommends a "timing belt package" that costs $695.

Is it a rip-off?

Thanks,
    Does the package include the water pump?

The timing belt service at the dealer should be about $550 - $600 alone. It is recommended to replace the water pump at this time. Most of the charge is from labor. The belt itself is a $20-$30 part, but the tearing of the engine apart adds up. While you have it torn up, might as well replace the pump, which is driven by the timing belt. They should also replace the tensioner at this time as well.

See if you can negotiate a 10% off or something.
  • gph418gph418 Member Posts: 1
    A friend of mine is hiring me to install the new pump and timing belt in his 97 CRV, is the dealer price of $695 pretty much nation wide? And has anybody done the replacement? Is $100 labor plus parts a decent price?
  • ntlafntlaf Member Posts: 1
    Just got timing belt and other 3 belts replaced for my 00 CRV by a local shop.
    The water pump was also replaced.
    With the labor charged of $340, the total cost reached about $550.

$100 labor charge is surely a steal, only if it can be done properly.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    OK,

In 2002 the 4 cyl Accords and CRV's went to a timing chain that does not require replacement. It should last the life of the car.

The 1997-2001 CRV's used a belt that should be replaced at 105,000 miles or 7 years. It's an expensive job but once it's done, it's done. A person would be foolish not to replace the water pump, seals and drive belts while they are "in there".

If a person doesn't know if the belt has been changed, it is possible to pry back the timing belt cover and look in there with a flashlight. It's about a half hour job and it's not 100% foolproof but there are markings on the belt that a Honda Tech can look at and see if it's been replaced.

Note, I said a HONDA Tech. They deal with these every day and when they say it's been replaced, it has been.

Not a good thing to take a chance with.
    Not a ripoff. That's about what a dealer charges.

If you decide to take it elsewhere you might save a bit buit make sure they know what they are doing. It's not an easy job!
  • jaoonjaoon Member Posts: 1
    Would you give more information about HONDA TECH, location, website etc?
    I was referring to any Honda dealer.
  • melanie_35melanie_35 Member Posts: 7
    I just had the timing belt, water pump, and serpentine belt replaced on my Honda CRV 2001. 2 days later, I started the car with my driver's door open and noticed it was knocking like a deisel. I let it warm up and it quieted down but never disappeared completely. I take it back to the mechanic and now he says the tensioner needs to be replaced for another $400 most of which is labor. The CRV has 117,000 miles on it which is why I was having the timing belt replaced. Shouldn't he have replaced the tensioner at the same time? He's telling me that the new belt made it go bad. Of course, the labor is to take it apart which wouldn't be necessary if they'd done it in the first place. They were quick to tell me other things that were wrong - like my valve cover gasket and an engine mount needed to be replaced, my brakes needed to be replaced/resurfaced, the oil pan had a leak and needed to be resealed, etc. But they didn't think the tensioner needed to be replaced???? By the way, two other mechanics have looked at the oil pan and there is absolutly nothing wrong with it. I would just switch mechanics but I feel they owe me what I paid $865 for plus another $350 for the motor mount and the gasket. Oh and this IS a Honda tech doing the work (or claims to be). Thanks for ANY help you can give me. :mad:
    The normal procedure is to replace the timing belt, tensioner and water pump, since the cost of parts is significantly lower than the cost of labor.

Was the work performed at the dealership, or is the Honda Tech doing it on the side?
    Another example of the importance of having the work done by a mechanic that knows and understands the vehicle.
    My mechanic, (independent), also replaces some seals that are very inexpensive and are easy to replace when doing the timing belt procedure. I think they are cam seals, but I'm not positive.
    He also adjusts the valves during that procedure since it is so easily done at the time.
    Thank you very much for your response. It was at a Honda Dealership. The same one I bought from in 2001. I emailed him early this morning to let him know I expected the tensioner to be replaced at the cost of the part only. Haven't heard back. Wonder why.... I've always praised the Honda name but I surely won't again and certainly won't buy one again unless there is a dealership with an ethical service department in the area. :mad:
    I've always praised the Honda name but I surely won't again and certainly won't buy one again unless there is a dealership with an ethical service department in the area.

Dealerships are independantly owned. While you may have beef with the dealership, I would not project that on the brand it self.

However, if you get nowhere with the dealership, you may want to get Honda corporate involved and see if they can put pressure on the dealer.
    You are absolutely correct. My Hondas have always been quality vehicles. I just learned that this dealership and 3 others in the US are actually owned by PSC Automotive Group. That's why they didn't show up when I went to my "Owner Link" on the Honda website. I should have done my homework. I thought that since I was please with them 8 years ago, that I could trust them now. My fault. I am now working with another dealership in another city that is willing to help me. It will cost me but if it gives me peace of mind and my CR-V back in working order then it is worth it. Chalk it up to lessons learne :cry: d the hard way. Thanks for all your help.
    Took it back in because it was sounding worse and worse and they wanted me to wait a week. After about an hour, I'm told that the tensioner IS bad and they want another $450 to fix it. I left. There was no way they could have inspected the tensioner. They offered to split the labor cost with me after I complained. I took it to a REAL service department today. I had barely settled into the waiting area when the service adviser asked me to come with him because he wanted me to see the problem. The timing belt was about a third of the way off!!! The edge was worn off and it had worn through the housing in numerous places so it had to be replaced. The tech had left the piece (washer?) off that holds the belt in place. There was also a ground that was unattached and a couple of other nuts and bolts that weren't where they were supposed to be. The oil seals they charged me to replace had not been replaced. I don't know what bothered me more - the fact that more damage is done and could have resulted is serious engine damage or the lies I was told to my face at the other dealership. I've got photos and parts from today and will do whatever it takes to get all of my money back. The only thing salvageable were the drive belts and the water pump. How many other people are being taken like this. :mad:
    Wow, that is some scammer dealership.

Your optons are:

1) Notify the dealership of the discovery. If they know what is good for them, they will refund the original charges, and ask you to sign a waver to protect them from litigation.

2) If they ignore you, notify Honda Corporate. The phone number and address is in your owner's manual. Honda can pull the dealership's franchise license.

3) Notify BBB.

4) Take the original dealership to small claims court (Judge Judy kind of thing). It only costs $10-$15 to file, and you don't need a lawyer. Make sure you have all the ducks lined up. The court may ask for witness (second shop mechanic) testimony, however, the wirtten estimate from them, and the photos should be enough.

The only way to prevent another person from being taken like this, is to make sure the dealership knows that victims can "kick back."

I have taken a shop or two to small claims and won. They learned their lesson and hopefully stopped scamming people.

One shop refused to pay. I sent all their info to the Sheriff. They siezed the shops account, gave me my money and took their cut (2x of what I got).

Good luck. Courts are slow, but they work. It just takes persistence.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have everything written up and put in a call to the GM of the dealership. I will make it very clear that I am meeting with him only. I've heard that ganging up is one of their favorite intimidation tactics. I'll just walk away if I have to and go straight to the Sheriff and then to Honda Corporate. I like that better anyway because these guys (and the group that owns them) does not need to be doing business at, let alone for Honda. You have been most helpful!!! :lemon:
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I have everything written up and put in a call to the GM of the dealership. I will make it very clear that I am meeting with him only. I've heard that ganging up is one of their favorite intimidation tactics. I'll just walk away if I have to and go straight to the Sheriff and then to Honda Corporate. I like that better anyway because these guys (and the group that owns them) does not need to be doing business at, let alone for Honda. You have been most helpful!!!

I know it is going to sound sexist, but bring a male along.

Many of the GM's are not your MBA educated business people. They are just glorified salesmen, who were really good at selling cars...

When you bring this male along, you will see them addressing the male, most of the time.

It is just what it is.

I always get a different answer from the mechanics than my fiancee. Even though, she knows cars just as well as me. But, she is a girl and they tell her that she needs blinker fluid, and her halogen fluid is low.

Hope this helps.
    Your right. I wish it were other wise but it is especially true in SC. This is the state that still wants to secede from the USA. I can't even get the GM to return my calls to set up an app't. I will send registered letter tomorrow morning. SC Dept. of Consumer Affairs told me they will happy to help if I can't resolve it. Still think I should just go straight to Honda Corporate HQ. I REALLY need that money back since I had to pay almost the same amount to the service center that put it back in working order. It sounds like my Honda sounded before the scammers got hold of it. It purrs like a kitten. :P
    I have to say that when the service manager finally got the whole story along with photos, documentation and receipts, they took swift action. The "check is in the mail" for the FULL amount of money I spent at their dealership. I did not have to sign my life away either!! DEFINITELY better than I expected. I thought I would be battling this out for weeks to come but they made it right. No, they're not holding a gun to my head to get me to write this either! Thanks for your help and encouragement!! :shades:
    Glad it all worked out for you.
  • cjz7cjz7 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2010
    I have 90K mi on my 2005 CRV and at my last oil change, the shop said I need to think about replacing the timing belt. Does the 2005 CRV have a timing belt or chain? And on vehicles that do have timing chains, in lieu of a belt, do they need replaced? I am familiar with this routine maintenance, as it pertains to "belts" as I have had it done on my 1998 Accord. I'm questioning whether the 05 CRV has a belt?
    Run, don't walk to a new shop. :)
    The CR-V has had a timing chain since 2002.
    Unlike a timing belt, it is very unlikely you will ever need to replace a timing chain.
    Thanks for the advice/reply. Seemed odd, b/c when I was reviewing owner's manual at around 60K miles, I saw no mention of timing belt replacement. It was def in the '98 Accord's manual. And I sensed an "awkward" moment between the two guys when I was paying for the oil change, b/c the one guy was telling me I needed belt replacement, and the other one kind of "mumbled" something about thinking it had a "chain."
    I have a 2005 CRV that is making a noise - only when the outside temperature is above 70 and only at speeds of 65 mph (highway.) Doesn't matter if A/C is on or off. It is intermittent, not continuous. It kind of sounds kind of like a "muffled kazoo" noise. It's coming from somewhere in the front, not sure if it's under the hood or somewhere in the "ventilation"?? It started last fall on a few warm days, NEVER heard it all winter, and now that the NW Ohio temps are rising, I'm hearing it again on warm afternoons on the highway???? Any ideas?
  • rhonda26rhonda26 Member Posts: 2
    I've been quoted $1,000 by my Honda dealership to replace the timing belt on my '99 Accord which now has 105,000 miles. This price is for the "timing belt package" which they said requires about six hours of labor. Just wondering if this is a reasonable charge?
  • rikrikardorikrikardo Member Posts: 23
    Price seems high. I've paid up to $695 for replacing the timing belt on a 1990 Accord. Is there anything else in your "package", like replacing the water pump at the same time?

Here is a similar Q&A from another site (http://www.2carpros.com/makes/honda/accord3.htm)

Question: 1999 Honda Accord mileage: 106,000. The mechanic at the Honda dealer suggested the we replace the timing belt. Cost would be around $500. With this low mileage, should we be concerned about the timing belt?

Answer: Honda normally recommends replacing the timing belt at 60,000 miles. However, with your low mileage and the age of the car, it would be a good idea to replace the belt and the water pump.
  • griptitegriptite Member Posts: 2
    The timing belt change needs to include the following:

change at a Honda repair shop:
    The belt
    The belt tensioner
    Water pump
    Cam shaft seals and crank shaft seals
    Drive belts.
    check radiator hoses
    check pvc valve or replace if hard to replace

I have owned a 1993 and 1991 and now a 2003 Maxima and a Double over head cam 1995 toyota Camry 6 cyl.
    I used my local mechanic to change the belt on the 1991 maxima. After about three weeks later I noticed quite a bit of oil in the engine compartment and drove to my mechanic Pronto.

The oil was running out of the timing belt enclosure, engine compartment splattered.
    We found that the crank shaft front seal failed and ruined the belt. A front cam shaft seal failure will spray all the oil out of the engine in a very short period of time and destroy the engine

I called the Nissan Dealer and asked the service manager if the Maxima had problems with oil seal leaks. He said we don't have this problem. We always replace the seals when we change the timing belt.

This almost cost me an engine. We replaced the belt and seals and I went halves on that repair.
    I still used him until he retired. he was a good mechanic but didn't know one small detail about the Maxima. Use the dealer for this Job.

My toyota 6 camry belt change cost about $757.00 for the complete job.
  • birtchybirtchy Member Posts: 1
    When Timing belts are do to be changed which is every 100,000 Klms, they have to change the water pump as well it is $400 max.
  • rhonda26rhonda26 Member Posts: 2
    Our local Honda dealer charges $1,000 to replace the timing belt and water pump.
  • griptitegriptite Member Posts: 2
    To get the best price from the dealer is to know what the complete job will cost!

Check with their parts department and get price for all parts, gaskets and antifreeze replacement and labor

Type this list, triple spaced; (1) (2) etc.

Discuss this list with service manager, not the service representive. Arrive at a agreed upon price.
    Have the service manager sign this paper or if necessary sign the shop work order under his signature.

Demand a copy of this contract BEFORE you give the dealer the keys.
    Remember, approximately $1000.00 of your money is at risk here.
    Remember, no copy of the contract, You leave your power with the Dealer.

I forgot the antifreeze and it cost me about $35.00
  • photoglennphotoglenn Member Posts: 1
    Daughter just called - service adviser at dealership wants her to have a timing chain cover replaced for $800. Advertised special on timing chain replacement for 599 won't apply to this. I can't find information about timing chain covers needing replacement. Any thoughts? Is this a real problem or a dealer trying to take advantage of young woman?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    What? Is she replacing her timing chain?

Sounds dicey..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator