Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X

2»

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    models as much as the rest of it's cars?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• byronwalterbyronwalter Member Posts: 220
    You know, for some reason... and I can't imagine what... Mitsu seems to suspect that the Evo might just get pounded on by testosterone poisoned teenagers :P
    whoa! The 2008 Mitsubishi EVO X would be an expensive toy for a teenager to have. That's nuts. For an adult to buy one, that makes a lot more sense, but to penalize a responsible adult for the dorky behavior of young dopes who will default on their loans, be a larger risk for Mitsubishi all around, that just doesn't seem right to me.

Oh, well. I'm not buying an EVO X, I've already got a '08 Lancer GTS, but, and it is a big 'ole butt, if I was gonna buy a EVO X I would be really irritated that I would only get a 3 year, 36,000 mile Warranty with it. Maybe it's just me, dunno.

Well actually I believe that MItsu assumes that the Evo will be used harder than its more mundane offerings. As for the age of the drivers, I know two women that both have '06 MR's. One is in her late twenties and the other in her mid-fifties.. and she knew exactly what she was getting. Not your usual demographics.

But I've cruised the Evo forums a few times and many of the owners are in their early to mid-twenties.

I do like the looks of the current Lancer but I asked the local Subie dealer to look for a silver or grey STi. If he manages to find one and is willing to cut a fair deal, I'll probably spring for it. It would be my first non-Audi in ten years.
    I guess as long as those in the demographic know, then, no blood-no foul.

Have fun car shopping, byronwalter!

Thanks... and both of those cars carry some nasty insurance rates... can't imagine why :P
    insurance for my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS is similar to the rates I paid on my '01 Kia Sportage 4X4. So can't complain about that at all!

Yeah, just looking at an EVO X gets me to thinkin' of punchin' the accelerator...I can just imagine what the 20-somethings are thinking out loud! ;)

• stevensorianostevensoriano Member Posts: 40
    I just got my new GSR. 25 miles on it, mostly from driving home from the dealer. I can't get the smile off my face!
    Okay...2 days into the new GSR.

First off, the "Service Engine Soon" light has come on today. I stopped by the dealer (Today is Sunday) and the salesman said it was probably the gas cap. He tried to be helpful, but service is closed on Sunday.

Secondly, I had to go find a gas station with higher octane. The car wants 93, and in Arizona most stations only serve up 91. I found a station that sells pump 100 for $6.49 a gallon...and mixed half a tank of that with my 91. Can't hurt, right?

From what little I understand, the higher octane is for when you are really pushing the engine boost. My car is stock, and for the first few hundred miles I don't plan to go over 4,000 - 4,500 rpm.

"Service Engine Soon" light!!! Pisses me off with a 100 mile GSR Evo X.
    and what area of Arizona are you in, BTW? I'm in little 'ole Willcox, AZ, in SE Arizona. Where Geronimo roamed.

The gas cap has been checked and checked again. Not the problem. The car drives/sounds/runs great.

I am in Chandler, where the land speculators roamed. I like the Wilcox/Bisbee/Douglas area. More Jeep territory than GSR X, but still.....
  • gijoewildbillgijoewildbill Member Posts: 62
    The thing to keep in mind is the "check engine light" is a universal indicator light. With the amount of technology in the new Evo, it can pop up for several reasons. I know that one of the people in another forum I talk about the Lancer in stated a similar experience when he bought his Lancer GTS last year within the first week of ownership. After taking it to the dealer and letting them do a quick multi-point inspection and diagnostic, they found that a small fuse had come loose during the vehicles transport. They resecured it and reset the ECU and he hasnt had a problem since.

My point is, don't get discouraged. Just take it back by the dealer and let them tinker for a few minutes. You'll be fine.

Bill
    remember, you are driving a remodel of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. Bugs are bound to pop up. Take it in and utilize your fine 10 year, 100,000 mile Warranty. They'll find out what's going on. Frustrating, true, for it to happen so soon, I agree.

I own a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS and the only problem I've had is two Dunlop performance radials needing repairs. I love my Lancer GTS and considered changing my Edmunds nickname for a short while, but decided to just leave it as it is.

Folks...

I know it probably isn't anything... I have seen the "service engine soon" light or it's GM cousin "Check Engine" come on for lots of different reasons. Unfortunately, you just don't know. My light came on at around 100 miles. It is just a PITA.

As for warrantee....for those of you who haven't been reading the papers, Mitsu has reduced the warrantee on the Evo's. I think it is like 36 bumper to bumper and 5/50 on the powertrain. Most Evo's will have been crashed by then.
    that's right, I can't seem to get that through my head, that Mitsu reduces the Warranty on the EVO's. IIRC it's only a 3 year and 36,000 mile Warranty on the powertrain, too, though I've been wrong before. I think I read it after reading a magazine's review of the EVO X.

Just a bit of a different breed of cat than the regular '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS I own.

• dream4boost76dream4boost76 Member Posts: 2
    I have seen that a few members on here have gotten their evo X and congratulations to them. I have noticed that most of them went for the GSR version; apart from being less expensive than the MR, what were some of the variables that led you all to that decision?
    I am rapidly approaching the 600 mile mark on the new GSR.

The two codes that came up were cleared by the dealer, and have not resurfaced.

As for the MR vs GSR discussion, it is premature. I ordered an MR, but the dealer is on a hold for getting one. First they said Jan, then Feb, the April, then August.

I took the next GSR instead. I haven't driven a stick in 22 years....but like someone else on this board noted, after two weeks, a manual becomes automatic.

Other considerations between the MR and GSR are:

1) The MR has a different suspension setup, probably stiffer. I can vouch that the GSR is very stiff, and stable at triple digit speeds.
    2) The GSR is a 5 speed, and the MR is a six. I do feel that the GSR is running too hard at highway speed, and a 6th gear with more overdrive would be helpful.....however, thanks to the miracle of the internet, we learn that the final drive ratio in the MR - six speed is around the same as 5th in the GSR. So, the MR Six wouldn't solve my 'concern' about running 4,500 rpm on a sustained highway cruise. The closer ratio's on the six might make the rally guys happier, but as narrow the range between 1 and 5 is, they could have gotten away with a 4 speed.
    3) More froux froux..... My GSR is spartan. I got the sight and sound package, which is the hot radio and the hid lights. On the MR I ordered, I went full boat with the leather, nav, blah...blah..blah... In retrospect, I don't regret missing out on the bling because this car is about driving satisfaction. Bling like leather or nav are nice (I have them in my other cars) but really don't contribute to the mission of the Evo.

Two more things...

The "Break in Period" is a stinker. I am an immediate gratification kind of guy. I bought an Evo because I want to go fast, and I am too much of a puss to get a motorcycle. Unfortunately, you can't push the engine for the first 1,000 miles or something bad will happen. I don't know what...but why risk it. And, as the book says, a 1,000 mile highway cruise doesn't count. They want "round town" break-in. Soon Soon.....

The final consideration/gripe/issue is that the Evo 8, 9 and Eclipse guys think the Evo X is an unproven experiment. Mitsu switched engine blocks for 2008. The new engine kicks more power stock, and modded...but there is a question as to durability. I guess the old one was reliable under increased boost. The new one is not a problem, just an unknown. That they changed the block from Iron to Alum is a bad omen for durability. Using iron sleeves in the cyls is a good idea, but we all know about using dissimilar materials next to eachother in an area that heats/cools/heats/cools. We will have to keep an eye on the mod community progress.

Finally...again.... I am not a modder. I like sleeping at night knowing that if my car blows a ring, Mitsu pays to fix it. But, in speaking with guys who know a heck of a lot more about this than I do, they worry that tuning the new DSG transmission in the MR will be tricky and limit their ability to add ponies in the engine. The Manual of the GSR is calibrated and timed by you as the driver. The DSG-Manual or SST as they call it is computer controlled, and tuned for factory power. Will it be smart enough to recognize increased power from the motor? Maybe...but no one knows.....yet.

Feel free to ask any questions, or call me names if you disagree.
    man, I am not a tuner and I'm glad I'm not a tuner and a modder. I prefer buying a beautiful car like my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS...with CVT auto and Rally Red, RF 650-watt stereo and sunroof. I like to put some fine vintage Foghat on the platter and just rock out in glee, knowing my Mitsu is covered by that great Finbarr O'Neill-inspired 10 year, 100,000 mile powertrain and 5 year and 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper Mitsubishi Warranty.

I like driving regular style, not driving to drive myself and everyone else nuts, as the tuners do on the freeways and even straightaway stretches of pavement...ala 'The Fast and the Furious' crowd of modders and tuners. Yikes. It sounds like nothing but a gargantuan headache, frought with money spills, trouble with the law and potential injuries and even deaths.

Enjoy your EVO X, stevensoriano, and know that it has built in to it Mitsubishi's heralded racing heritage. Chime in as you go along in your EVO X driving and ownership experience, OK?

I just prefer to enjoy my Lancer GTS and it's nice looks and build...and I don't feel the need to beat someone off the line, or through the ovals or twisties, that's all.

• dream4boost76dream4boost76 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks alot for that information. Very helpful and I appreciate it alot. I never owned a turbo awd vehicle so I want to make sure I go about this right way before jumping in buying this thing. So is it true about the warranty? Instead of 100K its now 36k? Well for a guy who is so knowledgeable about this beast and you went for the GSR and happy with the car, sounds like I might consider it. But the 1000 miles break in period is a killer, I know I am going to be tempted. Thanks again.
  • jmb8606jmb8606 Member Posts: 13
    Before you go out and pay MSRP for a EVO X South Coast Mitsuhishi they have them marked at least 2k below sticker with $500 discount if currently own a Mitsubish, $500 discount for a recent college grad, and $500 discount if your in the military. You can qualify for all three.
  • rcpaxrcpax Member Posts: 580
    Congrats to all who bought the Evo. As for me, I still have 3.5 yrs with my Outlander loan. By the time I'm done with it, I am prediciting the Lancer Ralliart hatch is already here by then, and of course the 4 door Ralliart would have already seen some minor changes. Depending on the budget (and my inner drive to work extra hours to get my toy car) I might end up buying the X too. Meanwhile, I'll be here looking at the pics wishing I had one. SST looks very promising, and Mitsu plans to put it into more of their future products. Any feedback from those who bought the X MR? My Outlander's 6 speed auto seems to shift fast already with the paddle shifters, so the SST must be the closest thing we can get to a rally car transmission for a vehicle at this price point.
    If you have an Evo X... Email me.... I have some questions about the warrantee.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Why not go ahead and post your questions here? You'll reach more people that way. :)
    Unless you have an 08 Evo, it wouldn't be relevent.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well it's up to you, of course, but this is the discussion that those who have 08 Evos will be reading. :)
  • cadmncadmn Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any issues with the new EVO X?
  • cadmncadmn Member Posts: 2
    :confuse: The EVO X comes with 5yr/100,000 mile powertrain - 3yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper - 7yr/100,000 mile anti-corrosion/perforation - 5yr/unlimited mile roadside assistance. This is the only warranty it comes with unless you upgrade it with a finance company. their other vehicles come with 10yr/100,000 mile warranty and such. this gets me frustrated that people post the wrong information. Why not get your facts straight before stating informationd on something that everyone reads.
    Cadmn..

I have a 2008 Lancer Evolution GSR. After I bought it, they offered me a 10/100 and a 6/60 to participate in an online owner survey...which I did. Many Evo X owners were invited. I guess you are wrong after all.
  • ysatysat Member Posts: 4
    what do you see in you sawc screen in your dash do you see bars like what is shown in the manual were in you could see your traction
This discussion has been closed.