Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Trooper: Engine Oil Leaks

lebsicalebsica Member Posts: 1
Hi, My husband and I have a 1995 Trooper with two leaks; one in the valve cover gasket and one in the seal. I got an estimate to repair these for around $300. My husband is leary because he thinks that once we replace engine parts the car may be damaged or other things may go wrong. Aside from the fact that I mentioned to mechanic that we didn't want to spend alot of money, since our neighbor has agreed to buy it as long as we repair the oil leaks. Does anyone have any knowledge of whether it's okay to replace these parts?

Comments

• atfdmikeatfdmike Member Posts: 414
    Hi, I have not done it myself, but changing the valve cover gaskets is a pretty big job. Factory allows almost 5 hours for an experienced mechanic to do it. Depending on how bad the leak, I am not sure I would mess with it....if the accumulation and appearance are over a long period of time it may well be that you won't want to mess with it. I include the factory price for the parts below. I am not sure which oil seal you are referring to, but if your spark plug tubes are dry, the information below may be disregarded. There was a period of time that the camshaft seal was known to leak, but it is hidded behind the timing cover, so I am not sure if that is the seal you refer to. Changing seals can also be a little tricky, so experience can really help.
    I include the manual directions for removing the LH and RH, in that order, valve covers.
    Hope this helps, good luck.

SERVICE INFORMATION

Some affected vehicles may experience oil accumulation in the spark plug tubes due to oil seepage at the spark plug tube-to-cylinder head interface.

To seal off the seepage, replace the original spark plug wire set with a new, improved spark plug wire set (see Parts Information section) using the procedure described in this Service Bulletin. The new spark plug wire set has an improved bushing design that controls oil seepage at the spark plug tube-to-cylinder interface.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

When servicing affected vehicles experiencing oil accumulation in the spark plug tubes due to oil seepage at the spark plug tube-to-cylinder head interface, be sure to refer only to Service Bulletin SB96-01-L005, issued 9/96.

The authorized repair for affected vehicles experiencing this condition, is to replace the original spark plug wire set with a new type wire set which features an improved bushing designed to control oil seepage at the spark plug tube-to-cylinder head interface. SB96-01-L005 describes this authorized repair.

1995 Isuzu Truck Trooper (4 Door) V6-3165cc 3.2L SOHC (6VD1)
    Vehicle Level Technical Service Bulletins All Technical Service Bulletins Cylinder Head Cover - Installation Precautions

Cylinder Head Cover - Installation Precautions

BULLETIN NUMBER
    SB94-01-003

ISSUE DATE
    DECEMBER 1994

GROUP
    ENGINE

TROOPER (UX) AND RODEO (UC) CYLINDER HEAD COVER DAMAGE

AFFECTED VEHICLES

Trooper (UX) and Rodeo (UC) models equipped with 6VDl engine.

SERVICE INFORMATION

When installing cylinder head covers on affected vehicles, care must be taken to ensure that the head cover bolts are properly tightened. Use only a good quality torque wrench and tighten only to the specifications listed in the appropriate Workshop Manual. Do not use air impact wrenches to tighten cylinder head cover bolts. Air wrenches tighten the bolt until the corner tab on the cylinder head cover either cracks or breaks (Figure 1). Once the tab is damaged, an oil leak will result. This damage can be incorrectly diagnosed as a leaking head gasket or a rear main oil seal. Cracked or broken cylinder head covers due to over tightening are not covered under warranty.

1995 Isuzu Truck Trooper (4 Door) V6-3165cc 3.2L SOHC (6VD1)
    Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Valve Cover Gasket Parts Information

Parts Information

Part OEM Part Price
    4 - Valve Cover Gasket 8971395690 $38.05

REMOVAL

Preparation: Remove battery ground cable

Ignition wire
    Disconnect from spark plug side.
    Positive Crankcase Ventilation hose
    Disconnect from common chamber.
    Disconnect vacuum hose from throttle body.
    Engine harness bracket
    Remove fixing bolts on cylinder head cover.
    Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) pipe
    Remove fixing bolts on cylinder head cover.
    Remove two fixing bolts on exhaust manifold.
    Remove two valve fixing bolts on common chamber.
    Cylinder head cover
    Remove 11 fixing bolts then the cylinder head cover.
    INSTALLATION

Fig. 6A1-3

Cylinder head cover
    Clean the sealing surface of cylinder head and cylinder head cover to remove oil and sealing materials completely. Apply sealant (TB-1207b or equivalent) of bead diameter 2- 3 mm at four places of arched area of cam- shaft brackets on front and rear sides.

Tighten cylinder head cover bolts to the specified torque above.

Tighten valve fixing bolts to the specified torque above.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) pipe. Tighten each fixing bolt to the specified torque above.
    Engine harness bracket
    Positive Crankcase Ventilation hose and vacuum hose
    Ignition wire

RH Side
    REMOVAL

Preparation: Remove battery ground Gable

Common chamber See: Intake Manifold\Service and Repair
    Ventilation hose
    Disconnect from cylinder head cover.
    Fuel hose
    Disconnect feed and return hoses from fuel pipes.
    Remove two fuel hose fixing bolts on the cylinder head cover.
    Engine hanger
    Remove heat protector on exhaust manifold.
    Remove bolts and nuts that secure the hanger to the exhaust manifold and cylinder head.
    Heater pipe
    Remove heater pipe fixing bolts from the bracket.
    Cylinder head cover
    Remove 11 fixing bolts, then the cylinder head cover.
    INSTALLATION

Cylinder head cover
    Clean the sealing surface of cylinder head and cylinder head cover to remove oil and sealing materials completely. Apply sealant (TB-12O7B or equivalent) of bead diameter 2- 3 mm to four places of arched area of camshaft brackets on front and rear sides.
    Tighten Cylinder head cover bolts to torque of N.m (lb.in) 8 (69)
    Heater pipe
    Bolt Torque
    Tighten bolts and nuts to the specified torque above.
    Fuel hose
    Ventilation hose
    Common chamber
  • rrandyrrandy Member Posts: 1
    i own a 1990 trooper, 2.8 v-6, there is oil leaking from the top,rear,slightly to the passenger side of the engine. you can see clean oil running down the side of the bell housing. what is back there, oil sending unit? i cant see, it does not appear to be the distributor shaft, i can see it. help.
    Link to Engine Compartment Component Locations.

http://www.carspace.com/atfdmike/Albums/trooper/90 isuzu.gif/page/photo.html#p- ic

You may just have a rocker cover gasket leak. If you have adjusted the timing by rotating the distributor, the gasket there may be bad(cracked,leaking) Pretty common problems.
    good luck
  • trooperman1trooperman1 Member Posts: 1
    i have an awful leak from what i believe to be an oil cooler hose. it is very difficult to see this hose at the block. i've read that this is a very difficult part to find. honestly, how necessary is the cooling? it seems very possible to remedy this with fittings etc...
    2.8 v6 1990
    If you have a remote filter that is not mounted on the adapter on your 2.8 you won't be able to reroute the lines. If you are sure it is just the cooler, then I suppose you could "reroute" , but oil life could be affected. The GM adapter, while difficult to get to the bolt that holds the manifold to the adapter, is pretty simple, with a couple of O rings and a flat gasket (If I recall correctly). Worst part is the long extension needed to reach the bolt from the front. HTH One guys opinion.
  • cmartman46cmartman46 Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: I have a 1990 Trooper 2 4 door V6 4x4..My oil cooler developed a couple of cracks with leaks.I would like to remove and plug off the oil lines at the engine,Does any body have any info on what fittings I would need to plug off this system?.
  • bsw1bsw1 Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone

I have a oil leak that is on the drivers side of the engine near the front..I cannot find its location of the leak It is Not valvecover, not oil pan.not oil filter .it begins to drip once the car is started for a few moments..i have read it could be the oil cooler hoses? where are they located? it is hard to determine the location. Is their a diagram of the cooler hoses? any other possibilities?any suggestions would be helpful
    Thanks everyone
    Roelof
  • bsw1bsw1 Member Posts: 6
    one more thing..it is NOT Tranny oil..it is regular engine oil
    Thanks
  • cmartman46cmartman46 Member Posts: 4
    I am sure an oil cooler does offer some extended engine life to some point if exposed to brutal enviroments, but it can also leave you stranded with no means of a quick fix.
    I once had a hose chaff on metal and busted draining almost all the engine oil.
    I just happened to notice smoke which was burning on the exhaust to stop in time.
    The two hoses run from the side of an adapted oil filter housing connected to aluminum fittings which are routed through the oil cooler in the grill to the drivers side. It is very hard to get to the connections at the oil filter housing with limited view. Remove the left front tire,unbolt and move power streeing pump out of the way to gain access.
    Use a good drop light to see your work. I removed my hoses and brought them to Napa Auto store to repair them. $34.00 a piece to fix.
    Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • crslayer426crslayer426 Member Posts: 1
    My NAPA SUCKS! They hardly want to help. Where do you live that NAPA will actually fix it? 2.8 Chevy Hose, can I just buy plugs and eliminate the cooler? Thanks