Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Porsche Boxster Prices Paid and Buying Experience

kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
edited August 2014 in Porsche
Tell us about buying/shopping for your new Boxster!!

Edmunds Price Checker
Edmunds Lease Calculator
Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Comments

• fun_driverfun_driver Member Posts: 4
    I want to get an '07 Boxster S, and it seems that what I want will require ordering one. Can I expect to pay MSRP? If I get a discount, should it be comparable to what I would pay for a comparably equipped car already at the dealers?
    Thanks in advance.
  • srangersranger Member Posts: 106
    I would not buy a new Boxster. These things simply drop in value way too fast. You can get a 1-2 year old low milage car for nearly 20K less. I have even seen a few 2006 models under 20K Miles for 30K less than it's original MSRP with a clean carfax title. The 2006 was nearly as good of a car as the 2007. I doubt that anyone could really tell the performance difference...

I would really look a Ebay before you lose so much money just to buy a new one. However, I would not pay more than invoice for a new one. If you stand your ground, you can get it...
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    No personal disrespect to sranger, but I am not sure where he is coming from with his figures. If a 1 year old Boxster depreciated $20-$30k, Porsche would be out of business tomorrow, given the percentage that are leased through Porsche leasing. While any new car depreciates significantly in the first few years, Porsches fare pretty well. Kiplinger, in their December Personal Finance magazine, lists the estimated 3 year residual of a Boxster S at 53%. A 911 is 60%. A Ford Explorer is 39%. Maybe that's what sranger was looking at? ;)

In my area (DC) I'd be able to order a 2007 Boxster S for roughly 6-7%+ off MSRP. There is roughly a 13% markup, so that is basically splitting the difference between MSRP and invoice. You would probably be able to get a better deal on an in-stock car, especially if there are any leftover 2006's. I am not aware of any major difference between the 2006 and 2007. The 2006 got the 295hp 3.4 liter engine form the Cayman S.
  • fun_driverfun_driver Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, stranger and habitat1, I appreciate your feedback.

Based on what I observed, I believe that values don't drop as much as stranger suggests, though I'm aware of the cost of getting a new car. I guess this has me re-think the reasons I want a new car.

So, here they are:
    Getting a car with the options, colors and combinations that I want (It seems that my taste is not common :) )
    Eliminating getting a used car which was not broken in properly, or had been ms-treated.
    I thought that the new, more powerful engine was offered for 2007 models only. I doubt that I'll feel the difference, though.
    Any comments?
    Thanks.
  • smodersmoder Member Posts: 13
    I can provide some factual information on Boxster purchases here in California.

Some dealers(although inventory is dropping fast) will offer $9000 off sticker for 06. This is around $1000 below invoice in most cases. Not much selection in color and usually the car is pretty optioned. Regarding an 07; over the phone informally with one dealer they were offering $3400 off which means they were making around $5000 over invoice. I think you should expect to pay about 50% of the gap between MSRP and Invoice(worst case). You will always get a better deal on one in stock. Hope this helps.
  • drums100drums100 Member Posts: 5
    I have a new Boxster with the upgraded BOSE Surround Audio System but no CD changer in the trunk. Has anyone had any experience adding an aftermarket CD changer that still interfaces properly with the head unit? (I know I could buy it from Porsche, but their price is ridiculous)

Thanks.

- Jim
  • joechicago7joechicago7 Member Posts: 22
    I'm going to buy a Boxster but I want to limit the money I spend on the options.

Does anyone have any opinions as to which options are essential? I don't want to leave anything out either.

Thanks

Joe
  • nycny10019nycny10019 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I too purchased a Boxter S (2006) and my buddy says I should get an IPOD and have ALL MY MUSIC with me. Ipod (and others) have a "transmitter" that sends the signal to an FM station, so there is no wireing involved.

Let me know what you think or what you find out.
    I am looking to add a navigator to mine and Pioneer has some slick stuff.. still looking though.
    Good luck
    Doug
  • beaner603beaner603 Member Posts: 3
    I agree with your buddy. I have an iPod and a "Monster" brand FM transmitter that plugs into the DC outlet and recharges the iPod battery as it plays. I'll never buy another car CD changer again. I like having my entire music collection at my fingertips without having to take CDs out of the house. You should download the free iTunes software from apple.com and play around with it; try importing some of your CDs and creating Playlists. Yes, there is some sound deterioration resulting from compressing your music files into mp3 format, but it's barely noticeable to most ears. Even if you're an audio engineer and you're driving with the top down, you'll never notice.
  • iowaporscheiowaporsche Member Posts: 3
    JMO
    bose, heated seats, decent wheels.........i am using 1999 996 (911) turbo look 18's on my third black boxster and i love them. basalt black and black interior (or you favorite color even though it wont look as great................jk :-)
    tiptronic, if you get anything that has gray interior spend the money on deviated carpet to black. looks awesome (look at pics of it on the doors on porsche petes boxster board) really with most colored cars and hid lights.
    base model.
  • groberts2groberts2 Member Posts: 1
    I ordered a 2006 Boxster S at the end of Oct/2005. I got a $2000 discount after working two dealers against each other. Based on the Edmunds PMJ (or whatever) pricing, I was not expecting a discount. I ordered the preferred package plus and have been very satisfied. I would get heated seats and xenon lights, if I did not get the package. The 2007 model has 290 HP but the ratio in first gear is lower and I expect launch speed is slower, but mpg is higher by 1 mpg A good estimate of future trade value can be obtained by looking at Edmunds and Kelly blue and getting an estimate for the key like you plan on buying. For example, I plan to trade my car next year, so I input a 2005 version of my car. As result I got a good estimate of what my car will be worth in 2008. I have found these calculations to be accurate and reliable. This is the best car I've had, substantially better than the z3 and z4 which preceded it. It is a total delight.
  • joechicago7joechicago7 Member Posts: 22
    There seems tto be about $7,000 difference between MSRP and Invoice. So your $2,000 discount seems low.

I was hoping to pay $4,000 under MSPR for a 2008 model.

Is that possible?
  • zignicezignice Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any idea what type of discount I can expect on an 07 now that the 08 is soon to be out?
  • pepperloverpepperlover Member Posts: 22
    So I am buying a new boxster for my mom, has to be silver and needs to be tiptronic. There were obviously none on the lot today (I'm in the DC area), and the dealer said that only 10% of Boxsters are automatic. They found one in the area they can ship. MSRP was around 54k. They said they would give it to us for 52k plus taxes. That's one option.

Versus, ordering an 08 with the options we want.

I've read that people are getting around 5k off from MSRP... but does this apply to when you are actually ordering the car from Porsche to be built? Any advice would be greatly appreciate.

(I'm getting the Tiptronic because my mother is 68 years old, she can't drive a stick!).

Thanks
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
    I'd look into service loaners... Almost every one of them is Tiptronic..

My local dealer in Cincinnati has one for sale, but I'm not sure of the color..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• gregmatsumotogregmatsumoto Member Posts: 4
    I found an 07 Boxster that they advertised as $47000 with 5k miles. They said they would reduce it to $39900 and said it was a loaner. I suspect that also means it may have been a demo. I'm thinking that if it was a "loaner" folks would take it out and abuse it since it wasn't there's. What does a "loaner" really mean? Should I consider it or stay away?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,186
    A loaner is usually a car that is given to service customers, when their car is in the shop.. I get them when I take my wife's BMW in.. I don't drive their car any differently than I do my own.. (usually, it's just to work and back to the dealership).

It isn't like they give them to 18-yr.-old kids to drive... The person getting the car already has a Porsche.. And, if they are getting a Boxster as a loaner, then they likely drive one, already..

Could it be used as a demo, also? Possibly/probably... depending on the dealer.. Would I be worried about it? Not much on an '07 with factory warranty..

As a point of reference, my local dealer is giving $12K off loaner/demo Caymans and Boxsters.. Those have miles from 5K-7K, and sticker in the low-mid $50K range..

Good luck!!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• naqialinaqiali Member Posts: 1
    is this true that porsche is coming with a new redesigned boxter in 2010
    Just got an 07 Boxster for $10k off msrp. seems to be the going deal with several dealers.

I thought the information on the visor was a paper sticker that would just pull off. But it appears to be a decal. I don't need the info., it's ugly, glares with it's white/yellow/black pictures and print.

My question is: Does anyone know how to remove the decal on the visor?
  • lardaglardag Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a used Boxster. My research so far shows significant inprovements on the 2003 model, and even more improvements with the 2005 model. A friend of mine just mentioned that the 2003 model was not a good year. Any truth to that??
    Also, can the passenger airbag be turned off so I can put my 8 year old daughter in the passenger seat??

I would appreciate any comments anyone would like to share

Thanks

Lardag
  • majormcfmajormcf Member Posts: 20
    I just bought a left over boxster with 72 miles for 15K off sticker. It was advertised for 10K off sticker on EBAY and I offered them 15K off and they took it. It is my 2nd boxster from this dealer and I got a good deal on one back in 99. This car has a ton of options I would never have ordered but at this price they are free. It is the only one I have seen with the 19in turbo 3675.00 wheels and it has Nav, xenons, multi functional wheel and loads more. Stickered for 60K and left the dealer on the road under 45K. No complaints here as I am seeing used boxsters going for about the same with a fraction of the options
  • bobrose10bobrose10 Member Posts: 3
    Hello. I am looking to buy a 2008 Boxster with Preferred Package Plus with Tiptronic. The MSRP is $53,440. Considering it's year end, what would be a fair price? Can I expect to pay even less than invoice? Also, should I get quotes from different dealers, and have them underbid each other? Lastly, what should I expect to pay if I custom order one? Thanks in advance!
  • bobrose10bobrose10 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a brand new 2008 Boxster with Preferred Package Plus with Tiptronic for $47,500. The MSRP was $53,440, the invoice price was $46,560. I emailed 7 dealers within a 150 mile radius, asked them to find me this particular Boxster (which was not on any of their lots), and asked for their best offer. 6 responded. Only 3 actually would give me a price over email. The best offer I got was 8% off MSRP. I sent another round of emails to all the other dealers asking for them to beat this price. Many dealers tried to sell me cars they had on the lot or pre-owned cars. When I said no, they all lost interest in me. Only 1 other dealer was willing to work with me on the 8% off price. I sent them an email saying that "it looks like I'm not going to be able to get the price that I want, so I'll just wait for the 2009s. Thanks for your help anyway." He emailed me back saying, "Tell you what. I'll sell the car to you for $47,500 to earn your business." The original 8% off dealer couldn't match this price. So I bought it for $47,500 and it's on its way! Hope this helps anyone out there looking for a Boxster, or any car for that matter. Please email if you have any questions or need any advice, since I think I got a pretty good deal.
  • kingkhalaskingkhalas Member Posts: 7
    I think sranger is actually pretty close to the real price of used boxters.
    If you look at Carmax, there are 2006 Boxters for $30K or less.
  • dtownmildtownmil Member Posts: 23
    Just picked up a pre-owned 2000 Boxster with 58,000 miles for $14,500 in the Chicago area. Super clean car, hardtop, well optioned, 18" wheels, triple black.

This is my first Porsche and I am thrilled. I did not do a PPI, but did a thorough inspection myself. I may have ended up with a car with a RMS issue, but who doesn't have one?

Whoever said that life is not complete without a Porsche was right.
    Join your local Porsche Club of America (PCA). You can find them online to get a wealth of info.
  • dtownmildtownmil Member Posts: 23
    I have not tried this myself yet, but supposedly de-natured alcohol will remove the airbag decals from the visors. Hope that helps.
  • redlipblonderedlipblonde Member Posts: 4
    ID ADVISE TO STAY CLEAR OF pORCHE mODELS MADE FROM 1992- 1999 BOXTERS RECALLED IN 1998 AND 99 ARE A DISASTER WAITING TO HAPPEN jUST rEMEMBER THE VINTAGE pORCHES HOLD THE VALUE AS THE NEWER THEY GET DEPRECIATE tHEY GET CHEAPER AND CHEAPER MADE. aN EXAMPLE OF THAT WOULD BE THE CLASSIC BUG AND THE NEW BUGS gO FIND A 164-1979 BUG RE DONE AND SEE THE PRICES. PART CHEAP EASY TO FIX GOOD ON GAS RIGHT. vERSES NEW DECLINE IN PRICE IN ONE YEAR AND NOT MADE NEARLY AS WELL. lOW RIDING NOT AS GOOD IN SNOW SINCE ENGINES IN THE FRONT ETC SO DO YOUR HOME WORK AS i DID pLEASE JUST BECAUSE YOU PAY ALOT AND THE pORCHE LOGO IS ON THE CAR DOESNT MAKE A FINE CAR. tHE CLASSICS 911 CARERRA TARGA ALL HOLD WELL THATS WHY ANYONE WHO BUYS A pORCHE BOXER TRADES IN FOR THE 911 OR CARERRA tHEY KNOW . aLSO STAY CLEAR OF THE 928 AND 944 tROUBLE IN THE NEWER ONES. tHE 914 MADE IN 74 IS WORTH MORE THEN THEY ARE. i KNOW i OWNED ONE LOVED IT
    EASY TO AVOID 1997-2005MODEL BOXERS J U N K YOU MAY AS WELL GO BUY A 1970 GREMBLIN FOR 300.00 YOULL GET BETTER GAS MILAGE AND NO HEADACHES RECALLED IN 97 -99 BOXERS WERNT OFF THE FLOOR AND THEY WERE GETTING BACK IN THE GARAGE AT A HIGH COST FOR COMPANY RECALLED FOR VARIUS THINGS STAY CLEAR IF THE TICKET ON A PORCHE IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE FOR A AVERAGE MAN TO BUY UNDER 20,000 THEN YOU KNOW WHY DONT BE A FOOL. ALSO IF YOUR GOING TO WANT THE LOGO FOR STATUS SYMBOL LIKE PORCHE BUY A CLASSIC THEY STAY TRUE TO THE VALUE REASONABLE TO FIX AND FIND PARTS AND THEY NEVER DIE AND WILL ALWAY REMAIN DESIREABLE LIKE THE 911 TARGA CARERRA ETC MAKE FROM 1970-1985. AFTER THAT GIVE IT UP YOU MAY JUST GO I DEBT WITH REPAIRS ON ANY OF THE MODELS OF PORCHE AFTER THE DATES I MENTIONED BECAUSE THE INDUSTRY HAVE ONE THING IN MIND. ITS GREED AND THE CUSTOMERS PAY THROUGH THE NOSE YOULL SEE IF YOUR A FOOL TO BUY ONE.STAY CLEAR OF THE 944, 928 ALSO.FAKE CHEAP AND OVER PRICED CARS ID RATHER OWN A GMC OR A GREMBLIN FOR THAT MATTER WONT COST MUCH GOOD ON GAS AND THEY STAY AROUND WITHOUT BREAKING DOWN
    STAY AWAY FRAUD TAXES ITALIAN CONS.OVERPRICED THEIVES I SAY I PURCHASED N 05 AND TH E HEAD DEALER AND GIRL HIS SECRETARY AFFAIR BOUND ROBBED AND SCAMMED AND LEFT TOWN NEW OWNERSHIP IN MANAGEMENT NOW BUT I WOULDNT TRUST AS WHEN THE IRS IS INVOLVED ITS A DEALERSHIP TO STAY CLEAR OF HIGH PRICES OF REPAIRS AND UNDERSKILLED MECHANICS WHO HAVENT GRADUATED HIGH SCHOOL.THE SALEPEOPLE COME AND GO AND ARE KIDS WHO DONT KNOW A THING ABOUT THE CARS THEY SELL ITS A CON GIMMICK AND THREE RING CIRCUS.I WITNESSED IN ONE HOUR- 8 HOURS ANOTHER TIME WAITING A LIFETIME FOR A OIL CHANGE 2 CUSTOMERS COME IN AND COMPLAIN ON THE SALE OF THE CARS THEY PURCHASED FROM THEM NOT GETTING FIXED, WAITING TO LONG, AND HEADACHES WITH THE VEHICLES NOT RUNNING PROPERLY AFTER BUYING FROM THEM FAITHFULL IL GUIDED CUSTOMERS FALLING VICTIM TO THE CONS AND SHARKS. WHAT A SAD SCENE.I WAS FORTUNATE TO HAVE NO ISSUES WITH MY CAR HOWEVER I WOULDNT WANT A WARRENTY WITH THEM AS THEY GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND AND SCAM YOU WITH WARRENTIES THAT ARE WAY OVER PRICED AND TELL YOU LATER WHAT YOU TOLD WAS COVERED BUT WHEN ITS TIME TO USE IT ISNT COVERED.AH WHAT A JOKE GO TO A FAMILY DEALERSHIP WHERE THEYWANT TO SEE YOU BE APPY NOT ANGRY SAD OR IN A FRIGHT EVERY TIME YOU NEED TO GET YOUR CAR PURCHASED OR FIXED
    CONS AGAIN !I PAID 10,000 FOR A 914 PORCHE CUTE TOOK PAYMENTS FROM ME WITHOUT A BANK LOAN AND PAID IN INSTALLMENTS FOR A CAR. CUTE CAR BUT THEY FAILED TO TELL ME TH FRAME WELL LOWER BODY HAD RUST AWAY 1 YEAR LATER THE CAR DIED IM OUT 10,000 AND THE CAR WAS REALLY ONLY WORTH 6,300 SO I WAS OUT 3,700 .THE REPAIRS TO PLACES WHERE MECHANICS COULDNT WORK ON THE CARS AND ROB YOU BLIND WHERE UNBEARABLE ON THE OLDER PORCHES AND IT WASNT A GOOD INVESTMENT PLAIN AND SIMPLE SOMETIMES THE LITTLE GUYS JUST OFF THE ROAD WITH A LIL CAR LOT CAN BE DESPERATE TO CON AND MAKE A SALE BEWARE >U P D A T E <. IT WAS LESS THEN A YEAR THE GUYS RUNNING THE JOINT PAcked up and moved out of th rented building fo not paying the rent to a oriental woman owner of the building.(Who knows she could have been in on the scam as well cause they are back UP and RUNNING! B E W A R E ! tHEY ARE LOCATED ON route 20 WHICH STARTS IN WEST SPRINGFIELD AND RUNS - WESTFIELD .THEY ARE ON THE RIGHT HAND SIDE ON ROUTE 20 ENTERING WESTFELD.THE sunshine motor sales may be sunny for them but youll have a black cloud on you if you shop there.
  • texassuntexassun Member Posts: 13
    edited September 2010
    I live in TX. in san antonio. there are MSRP 59,450 with pdk. they offered to me 55,000.
    is it a good?
    in 08 i got an 07 new boxster that was still at the dealer. sticker was $54k and there were advertising all last years stock as $10k under list. got it for $44k this is at the end of the year so 2010 should be more negoitiable. i realizzed afterwards i cd have dickered for more. ask them to include a full 3M clear bra before you agree to a price. they will try to sell it afterwards for over $1k.
This discussion has been closed.