Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Pilot Tires and Wheels

2007pilotexl2007pilotexl Member Posts: 1
The spare tire on the 2007 pilot is a different width than the other tires. Does anyone know if a full size tire will fit in spare tire storage location under the car?

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I was told it should fit, but not sure how much will hang down. I was going to jack the car on pass. rear and take the spare out, try and place the full rear tire up there. If it fits, I have a tire with factory rim lined up at a local salvage yard (same one I got the rear splash guards from) and will be able to get a 5th tire very cheap. I'm just waiting for a nicer day to do it.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • silverpiloto5silverpiloto5 Member Posts: 23
    I installed 06 Acura 17" wheels and tires on BOTH my 03 and 06 Pilots. I thought I would use the 03 rims and tires as spares. As noted above, they do not fit up in the cavity for the spare. The way the full size hangs down in just not acceptable. I doubt many people would like the way it looks hanging down. It is odd that the spare would be a smaller diameter since I have always heard(and read in the owner's manual) that the diameter of ALL wheels must be the same on AWD or damage to the drivetrain MIGHT occur. With the 18 clutch packs on the back that makes some sense. So, I don't understand why the spare would be a different diameter.
  • mrdeeno3mrdeeno3 Member Posts: 9
    just an update...
    i brought my pilot to local ny dealer. they free spun the wheels and did not see anything wrong. they were telling me that the blemish on this tire is normal, as it "sometimes" come from the way they tie cars for delivery. he assured me that there is nothing wrong and it is safe to use/ride on it. he cannot replace the tire though, unless i pay for it. isn't that unfair? i don't like my cars having bulge in it, as i feel that its lifespan is lessened or may not last longer than it should be. should i go directly to my dealer and get it replaced? i'd like to know my rights as a new buyer. i just put 500mi on it and i want to know if i can get (at least) Goodyear to replace it, if not Honda...
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    Several years ago (98 or 99) I had a vibration in a rear tire. Took the nearly new Ram to a "GOODYEAR" store. They checked it and said it was out of round. Replaced it on the spot.

This was a Goodyear store. Not just a store that also sold Goodyear tires.

Kip
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    if the sidewall has a bulge in it, it is most probably a defective tire. the rubber may have separated from the sidewall ply/belt. you don't know, and neither can your dealer.

the story about how the vehicle is placed on the transport is just a story.

speak with the service manager. call honda corporate if you don't get satisfaction. you may take it to a goodyear store. however, it's honda that should be taking care of you.

meanwhile, what happened to your vibration?
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Dear mrdeeno3

I had a vehicle with a bulging tire. I asked the dealer to replace the tire and after that was not going to happen, I replaced it as fast as I could by going to a local tire dealer the same day. My family was much more important than waiting for a dealer to do something.

As to options, as I am not a lawyer.

You might have a small claims court filing available.
    Maybe writing Honda HQ a leter of complaint.
    Does your state have a "lemon law"?

Good luck to you and I hope things work out for you.

jensad
  • justaveragejoejustaveragejoe Member Posts: 268
    Read your new vehicle and tire warranty. It will explain who is responsible for a defective tire. Sometimes it is the tire manufacturer.
  • agauravagaurav Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I moved up from a 1999 Camry to a 2003 Honda Pilot EX this past weekend. The seller surprisinly had new tires on the rear but almost worn out tires on front. I need to get a new front pair right away. The rear are Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684 235/70R16.

I was thinking of getting the Goodyear Fortera TripleTread but noticed that Costco policy on tires states --

If installing less than a complete set, we will install only on the rear. And it the vehicle is a 4wd or AWD then all tires need to be the same.

Questions:

1. Does anyone advise getting a different pair for the front set?

2. Or should I stick to Bridgestone Dueler 684?

3. How are these Bridgestone tires anyway?

Thanks a lot!!
    Gaurav
    jensad/user777/kipk/justaveragejoe,

thanks for your responses.
    the honda salesman called me up and ask me to bring the car to the dealership tomorrow to get the tire re-evaluated. i haven't responded to their customer survey yet, so i hope they'll fix it, otherwise they'll get bad feedback. :) if they cannot replace the tire, i'll drop by Goodyear. as per Goodyear warranty, if the tire is worn beyond 2/32" of tread depth, it is not replaceable or covered.

btw, i'm aware of mechanical issues in lemon law, but never tires... i maybe wrong or haven't read enough about NJ lemon state laws.

i'll keep you posted whatever happens tomorrow.
    ...the honda salesman called me up and ask me to bring the car to the dealership tomorrow to get the tire re-evaluated...

That is encouraging! :) Please keep us posted.

Kip
    We have Bridgestone Duelers on our CR-V. Came that way new.

Also had a set on a Montero. They didn't wear all that well.

I find them kind of rough over road cracks, gravel and such. They are also noisy.

Will replace them with Michelins or Yokahamas. The Yokahamas are built the same way as Michelins and cost a little less.

Kip
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    If your gonna look into Goodyear tires, you might want to check out the Wrangler Silent Armor. They have Higher ratings than the Fortera's, better dry, wet, snow, and dirt grip, plus they are quieter. I'm just saying this because there are more Goodyear Shops / Stores around than most of the other companies. so you will always be with-in close proximity with one if something was to every go wrong.

another good point is their Lifetime Road Hazard Warranty, not only does it cover just about everything, every 6000 miles you get a free Re-Balance, Re-Presseure and Rotation.

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    I replaced our Goodyear Integrity tires on our 2005 Pilot with Goodyear Fortera Tripletreds and I'm very pleased with their performance in wet and snowy/icy conditions. I based my decision on the consumer survey results in the tirerack.com site. Compare the Bridgestones and the other tires and then pick the one that best suits your needs. The survey is based on many miles of travel on the respective tires. For safety reasons for you and the others who ride in your vehicle, it would probably be best to match the four tires.
    I purchased the tires through tirerack and had them delivered to an installer with the Hunter 9700 balance machine, so that they could be road-force balanced, which seems to be an important issue for the Pilots. Take care. Ralph
    went to the dealer, they got it inspected. unfortunately, it came up to the same result. the "bubble" was cosmetic and that they don't cover tire warranty. i went to the nearest goodyear center (zip code 08722) to get it re-evaluated. they told me the "bubble" is nothing to worry about. it's normal for radial tires and they call it something as "undelining". they also confirmed that my wheels are not wobbly. i will call honda today and seek for additional support - maybe they can tell my local dealr to swap it with the ones in the lot. i already tried to negotiate this with the dealr, but they just don't do anything like that -- "bs!". at this point, i am not happy as a customer. although it is cosmetic, i felt i'm not worth to have that issue after paying for $34950 (out-the-door).
    i went to the nearest goodyear center (zip code 08722) to get it re-evaluated. they told me the "bubble" is nothing to worry about. it's normal for radial tires and they call it something as "undelining".

That really "SUCKS"! Since it is nothing to worry about, it seems the Honda dealer would be more than happy to swap tires with you from one on the lot. If tires were normal to have bubbles, more would have them. :mad:

My next step would be to sit down with the "OWNER" of the dealership and first ask him if he would want that tire on his wife or kids car. Second, tell him that if your problem is not fixed, your service work and future car purchases will be at another dealer. Third, you will tell as many people as possible about the problem and how you are being treated at his dealership. Forth, you will get some magnetic "LEMON" sign for your doors. His dealership name is already on the car. Probably a tag on the front and a decal on the back. Remind him that customers are easier to loose than to gain.

His cost on that tire is minimal compared to the profit he has already made and hopes to make in the future on service work and sales. If none of this affects him, he may not be in business much longer anyway. Find a new dealer and purchase some more tires. Michelin or Yokahamas come to mind.

Kip
  • mattchalmersmattchalmers Member Posts: 159
    they told me the "bubble" is nothing to worry about. it's normal for radial tires and they call it something as "undelining".

Then it is not a "bubble" at all. A bubble is something that actually looks like your Great Aunt's goiter on her neck, not a slight inward wave or crease on the sidewall. What you have is a completely normal tire. There is an even money chance that any new tire you had mounted would be the same. I purchased a set of Michelin's for my other car and one of the tires had this, set of BFGs for my pick up same thing. It is normal. It is not a safety issue. Your wife and kids will be fine. And yes, I would have no issue at all with my wife driving on tires with this blemish.
    If you are talking about the indentions in the sidewall that run from the rim out toward the tread, it is fairly common to see. Especially noticeable when clean and shiny in bright sun.

I've not noticed it with Michelins or Yokahamas. Manager at "National Tire and Battery" said those 2 brands are built differently from the others. Clamshell or something!

Michelins I've owned have been Light Truck tires and may have stronger sidewalls. Yokahamas were on a Maxima. Didn't NOTICE any indentions, but they could have been there. Those Yokahamas were replacements and sure ran quiet and soft, compared to OEM Toyos.

Kip
  • switswit Member Posts: 1
    HELP! I have an '03 Pilot and replaced the tires after only 30,000 miles. Now, 10,000 miles later the dealer says I need new tires again. What the heck is going on? Any advice is appreciated.
    What Brand and model of tires did/do you have?

Kip
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I had especially noticeable "indentations" on a set of Costco tires a few years ago (mine were made by Michelin for Costco). Some people describe them as mold marks.
  • mattchalmersmattchalmers Member Posts: 159
    Just getting the last post to the end since the posts are kind of out of order:

If you are talking about the indentions in the sidewall that run from the rim out toward the tread, it is fairly common to see. Especially noticeable when clean and shiny in bright sun.

I've not noticed it with Michelins or Yokahamas. Manager at "National Tire and Battery" said those 2 brands are built differently from the others. Clamshell or something!

Michelins I've owned have been Light Truck tires and may have stronger sidewalls. Yokahamas were on a Maxima. Didn't NOTICE any indentions, but they could have been there. Those Yokahamas were replacements and sure ran quiet and soft, compared to OEM Toyos.

Kip
  • wmwmswmwms Member Posts: 1
    I seem to be having the same tire wear problem. Had to replace the original Briedgestones that came new with the Pilot after about 25,000 miles. Put on Michelins (with full balancing, alighnment, etc. service) and after about 15,000 miles these tires seem to be having an excessive amount of wear too. I also wonder what is going on. Bill Williams
    My understanding is that there is something different about the way Honda tires are balanced. Something about "Road Loading" or similar.

Our '03 has 23K on the clock and recent tire check said about 60% of tread remaining on the Good Year Integras.

We have all services done at the Honda Dealer.

Kip
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    The tires probably have a prorated warranty. They will prorate the miles you got over the warranty # and reduce the price of the replacement tires. Don't panic just check it out. Hope this helps.
  • sam01sam01 Member Posts: 1
    We have had a bad tire wear problem on our 2003 Pilot EX. We put 60,000 mile tires on and about 15,000 miles later, the rear tires seem to be very worn. The funny thing is that they are worn only on the interior two inches. We always use the same tire shop and have our tires balanced and aligned. Can anyone suggest what the problem might be? Could it be a problem with the power to the tires?
    It could very well be as eaglepilot suggested.

However there is something you can check.

If it is the center of the tread, it could be due to excessive air pressure!

An over inflated tire can/will ride more on the center treads. Therefore those treads are taking the entire load instead of it being spread across the entire tread.

Check that air pressure is no higher than 2-3# more than the recommended pressure on the door frame. Get a good gauge.

Also, tires need to be rotated more often than 15K miles.

Kip
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    I recently installed new rims and tires on my '04 Pilot and loving it. It handles much better with lower road noise. The rims are from an Acura TL('04-'05) with the size of 17x8 and the tires are Michelins Cross Terrain (255x60xR17). There is no rubbing and I love the beefier tires look. Over all I am a happy camper.
    Be sure to check your speedometer and odometer.

Kip
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    thank you, but I have check with a few posting of those you have the same set up has indicated on the Hondapilot.org forum that it is only off by .03 or .3% so I am not too worry about it. Thank you again for bringing that concern to my attention.
    According to this article and a concern on the another Honda forum, there seems to be a discrepancy of up to 3% on Honda models.

By going slightly larger, you may have actually corrected your speedometer/odometer! :)
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2007-02-19-odometer-usat_x.htm

Kip
  • sddoc07sddoc07 Member Posts: 19
    Like everyone else, I had those heinous Goodyear Integrity tires when I got my 2003 Honda Pilot LX. They squealed, they vibrated at high speeds, they were more slippery than a politician and they did not absorb bumps well. HOWEVER, they did last 48,000+ miles which was stunning to not only me but my local Sears shop. I walked out the door at Sears with four Continental Conti-tracs for ~$350. Not only was this a stunning deal, but Continental does not skimp on warranties (60,000 miles/72 months). After getting these tires, my vibration at 75+ mph largely went away and my Pilot developed a real smooth feel to it on the highway. I must say however that the conti-tracs are a bit slippery in the wet but I think that it is more than manageable.
    Seems that whenever a tire gets great mileage, traction suffers.

Compared to the cost of the vehicle and maintenance, tire replacement cost is not a huge issue. That is IF the tires perform well and return reasonable mileage.

For us, Michelin and Yokahamas have worked well with a good balance of performance and longevity.

Continentals might be worth looking into next time.

The Integras are still on our 03 Pilot. No problems what-so-ever with vibrations at any speed. The Honda dealer rotates and balances at the proper intervals. I strive to keep the pressure at or no more than +2# the posted door recommendation. They will hydroplane!

I have heard there is something different about how the Honda Dealers balance tires. "Road Load" or something like that.

The Bridgestone Duelers on our 03 CR-V are nearly worn out at less than 25K miles. They are rough, noisy, and don't wear well! First few miles every morning are particularly rough and feel like one or more is out of balance. After a few miles (depending on road temperature) the out of balance feeling goes away and only the noisy and rough riding remain. Don't know how they perform under panic wet or dry situations.

Kip
    We have the Bridgestones on our new Pilot. They also develop flat spots after sitting in the garage for a week or so. When the manufacture ships the cars they put around 60 psi in the tires to keep that from happening during transport.

I had a chance to test these tires in the wet and the snow and they perform very well. I tested the anti-lock and VSA. If you test the braking every time you go into the snow, you will get a great respect for the amount of stopping distance you actually need in those conditions. I took the old highway up to the ski resort to get around the stop-and-go traffic on the main freeway last week. The road became a single tracked, one-way trail for the last five miles (good thing no one was coming down). The snow was about a foot deep and I scraped bottom five or six times when the tracks got deeper.

The Pilot did surprisingly well, almost as good as our old S-10 Blazer. That thing had trail-rated tires and full skid plates so I wasn't ever afraid to push it. The Pilot is still new and I ALMOST felt like I was abusing it.....but hey, that is why I bought it.
  • 05pilot05pilot Member Posts: 26
    Hey is it okay to offer Pilot stuff for sale on this forum?....I have one alloy rim off a 2003 Pilot in excellent condition that I wish to sell...I used one of these to replace my own temporary spare on my 2005 Pilot. It fits fine in the space that currently holds the temp spare. This rim looks identical to 2003-2005 pilot OEM rims, but will fit later models that look slighlty different..This wheel does not have the tire pressure sensor found in the 2005 and later cars..but as a spare, I didn't care.. Picture available if interested
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hey is it okay ...

We'll give you a pass but any commercial offerings are strictly out of bounds.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • kfrazerkfrazer Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an 06 EX-L front wheel drive Pilot with stock Goodyear Integrity's. Noticed skidding & poor performance in rain. Used for towing 2500lb. boat which it does fine on roads,but last three times it barely got my boat and trailer out of wet boat ramp. Anyone with same issues? Any tire replacement recommendations?
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Firstly Front Wheel drive pilot is not the best vehicle to tow the boat out of a wet ramp. The reason being that all the weight of the vehicle shifts to back as you try to pull up the boat trailer on an incline reducing the weight and hence traction on the front wheels. Guess it's too late to fix that.

About the tires I noticed that they don't inspire a lot of confidence is high speed driving. I felt that my previous two SUVs, one a 1999 Mercedes ML320 and a 2002 Toyota Landcruiser handled much better at higher speeds when it came to lane changes and breaking at high speeds. Besides the suspension, I think the much wider ties on both vehicles definitely helped. The ML had 255s and the Landcruiser 275s.

The OEM tires are hopeless for anything more than mall cruising. I am planning to replace mine with the Michelin LTX M&S tiers in 245/70/16 size soon. I had these tires on both my earlier suv's and was very happy with the handling all year round including during snow storms.
  • damengineerdamengineer Member Posts: 2
    Tirerack.com is the best resource on the web for selcting new tires (not the best prices). Check out the Pirelli Scorpion ATR tires in the on/off road all terrian tires section
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Costco is doing their $60 off a set of Michelin sale for the next week or so, fwiw.
  • camstercamster Member Posts: 12
    I did the math and your new sizing should be a good match. Can you send post a pic? I'm looking at upgrading my '07 and would like to see how a 255 looks.

Thanks

I assume you had a 16" wheel to start.
  • camstercamster Member Posts: 12
    Same experience here with Goodyear Integrity's. My new '07 is scary in the rain. I can force a slide with little effort.

I'm looking at a Dueler A/T Revo or the Pirelli Scorpian. I may even go to a 245 or 255. Both are SUV tires and weight 10 to 12 lbs more per tire.
  • chandra0102chandra0102 Member Posts: 8
    I am in the market for a mid-sized SUV and was very interested in Honda Pilot as one of my choices, but I was kind of disappointed with Pilot coming with only 16" wheels. I see in your post that you can install 17" tires on a Pilot. Is it OK to put a bigger sized wheels than what the car was designed for, and is it safe, and does it affect the operation of the vehicle in any way? Thanks for any insights.
    If the overall diameter of the mounted tire is different from "Stock", the speedometer/odometer will not be accurate.

I don't know if there is some way to "tweak" the computer for tire size changes!

An overall larger diameter tire will change the final drive gear ratio somewhat. The car will not "Pull" quite as strong and will turn less RPM at any given speed.

You will be going faster and travel farther than the speedo/odo are registering, so your mpg checks will calculate low.

Kip
  • ckelly91ckelly91 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2007 EX-L. What pressure should the tires be inflated to? The low pressure indicator light is on and the manual says 32 but the tires say max pressure 44.
    32 is a number that Honda considers to be the best for ride comfort, handling, and longevity. They take in consideration the configuration of the vehicle as well as the weight.

Our Pilot calls for 32# while our lighter CR-V calls for 26#. The idea is to have the proper pressure to allow the entire tread (width) to be in contact with the road, and the sidewalls to still be flexible enough without "folding" on curves.

Excessive pressure will result in the tire "ballooning", putting more vehicle weight on the middle of the tread. This will wear the center tread faster than the edges. Also, because there is less of the tire touching the road, handling will be affected. High pressure may increase MPG a bit due to less rolling resistance, but at the cost of handling, safety and uneven tire wear.

Insufficient pressure will allow the center of the tread to recess somewhat, and more weight to rest on the outer tread, wearing it more than the center. Result may be poorer MPG due to the excessive rolling resistance, sloppy handling due to the side walls being too flexible on curves and such. And, of course, uneven tire wear.

All that to say the tire is capable of safely carrying 40# of pressure, but Honda recommends 32 under normal conditions. If you should load her down with 8 people and hook a 3000# trailer behind, the tires would sag a bit and the need for more air pressure in the rear is real.

The only way to be absolutely sure of the correct pressure for your car is the "Chalk" method, using a tire gauge dedicated to that car. Interesting that our "Pilot" gauge shows 33# cold pressure to be proper for the Pilot. That gauge is the only one used for that car. The CR-V gauge shows 28# to be proper for the CR-V.

Gauges can vary a few pounds. With a given tire pressure, one gauge might show say 33# and another gauge may show a couple of pounds more or less.

When the Pilot has proper pressure (33#) according to it's gauge and I check the Pilot tires with the "CR-V" gauge, that CR-V gauge will show 35#.

I don't know which of those gauges is the most accurate. And it doesn't matter. "Chalk" shows proper inflation to be as described above. As long as I use the gauge dedicated to that car, I'm good to go. In reality either gauge will put either car close enough. ;)

Kip
    Al right Kip, You're teasing me and I gotta ask.....

What is your chalk method?? :confuse:

Joe
    Joe,

Most will agree that the entire width of the tread should be on the road.
    With that in mind, over inflate the tires a few #. Don't over do it! Drive around for a few miles until you figure the tires to be at operating temperature.

This should be done with the "Load" normally carried in the car.
    I generally just check the two on the driver side as I am usually the only occupant.

Pull over at the beginning of a straight flat stretch of good smooth road and put a chalk mark across the tread in 2-3 places. Ease back onto the road and drive a mile or so. Check the chalk marks. You may find that the center is worn off while the edges still still have chalk showing. If so, let a little out ( say a pound) and continue this madness until the chalk wears evenly across the tires.

Go back home and let the car sit where ever it would be when you check your tire pressure. Allow a few hours for tires to cool. Now check the pressure.

At that point that tire is inflated correctly for "COLD" pressure. The gauge reads that
    pressure. Next time pressure is checked, check em cold and use the numbers you developed with THAT GAUGE !

NOTE: You could probably run a couple of pounds lower and still wear the chalk evenly. However since we are concerned with mileage and safety, we might wish to run as much air as possible to keep down rolling resistance, while keeping the tire at proper configuration on the road.

Disclaimer: I got this off a web site a while back. Seems to work good for me and makes sense. Might not work for others.

Kip
  • zarbazarba Member Posts: 30
    We run 38 PSI on the Goodyear OE tires. BTW, they are junk.
    Why do you say they are junk ?

Kip