Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

Comments

• carlamorenocarlamoreno Member Posts: 15
    Update to all following this: I finally received a reply from the above mentioned cust service rep. I was told my "case" was closed due to them unable to reach me. That is very interesting considering I never received a call or email response from anyone.

The case is now reopened and I will supposedly receive a call within 24-48 hours.

Not holding my breathe.

I will keep you all posted.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    carlamoreno,
    I am happy I could assist you in getting things together on the right track with your case. To anyone who has a case with GM Customer Assistance, you should speak with your agent weekly or bi-weekly, or after any dealer interaction. If you haven't I would recommend following up with Customer Assistance. Every agent has a direct extension so you can call them directly. Feel free to ask your agent for their extension. If you are unable to get in contact with your agent fell free to email me and I will contact them directly for you. Thank you!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • dave349dave349 Member Posts: 2
  • dave349dave349 Member Posts: 2
    I just received word that our 04 cadillac 3.6 was blown with the exact same problem.It was low on oil and jumped timing ruining the engine.In my case the oil had been changed on a very timely basis.I would bet it still had 60 % usage left on it .the car itself only has 47k miles.Has anyone had any success with gm fixing these engines.I am take very good care of my vehicles and there is no reason on my part that this engine should go .I always used Mobile 1 and changed the oil on more than a regular basis.The garage said it was very low on oil but no light or any indication that any thing was wrong.Any suggestions?
    Wow I am so sorry, this is the exact same problem I had with my 05 3.6L. I too changed my opin frequently, the last time being a month before the "blowout". I can't believe with all the issues the 04-05 have had, they didn't do a recall. I'm sure GMs focus is more on sales vs taking care of their existing customers. You should open a case with GM. The more of us that speak up about this issue the more likely they are to take action. Good Luck and pleae keep us posted. I will do the same.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    The 3.6 Engine is becoming infamous like GM's old Quad 4 engine from the late 1980's and 1990's. Check out other forums (e.g. GMC Acadia) and others have similar problems with this engine. Good luck.
    Update on my nightmare dealing with GM:

I just received a call from another incompetent rep. He called to put me on hold for 10 minutes, then got back on the phone to tell me the Supervisor is not available right now. Really? So he called me to put me on hold then tell me I can't speak to anyone yet. This is amazing. Where do you find these people?

I have yet to speak to a supervisor.
    carlamoreno,
    I understand your frustration. After looking through your case I see that your agent has asked you take your vehicle to have it diagnosed by a GM dealer. This seems to be the hold up with your case. You have your vehicle diagnosed by a GM dealer your agent (or their supervisor) can then plan a course of action to get your concerns taken care of. As every major company we have standard operating procedures and having the vehicle diagnosed is just that. This helps us to get technical information on your concerns. Please feel free to contact me or your agent once you have taken your vehicle in to an authorized GM dealer.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • avguy2avguy2 Member Posts: 7
    Wow. That the same response I got from them. By the way, when you take to the dealer and they claim that it's your fault (which they will) you will get to pay the dealer for the diagnostic. This is what happened to me. I then brought the car to an independent shop for repair and they sent the heads out for repair to an ASE machine shop, who broke them down, piece by piece and they found a design flaw. Go figure. GM wouldn't even look at the report. Good luck.
  • ronatedmundsronatedmunds Member Posts: 1
    I have experienced almost all problems discussed in this forum and sympathize with all those who are suffering. I had an '05 CTS 3.6 with 67K miles which I just traded in this past weekend and salvaged $9000 before the inevitable engine failure. Here are some of the problems I had:

Occasional rough idling since day one.
    Coolant leak/broken water pump in second year.
    Differential leak twice.
    Went through 3 batteries in 6 years.
    Creaky suspension when going over bumps.
    Whining noise when going at low speed - 20~30mph.
    Severe shaking and smoke out the pipe when starting in the morning from time to time.
    Occasional shaking when stopped at a light.
    OIL CONSUMPTION (1 quart every 500~600 miles) the last few months.
    Worst dipstick ever. It's colored black, so you can't really see the dark oil on it.

I've had a positive experience with an '02 Chevy Astro, so I won't say I'll never buy another GM car, but I'll be more hesitant in the future. For sure however, I won't purchase another American luxury car because of the horrible resale value; the loss is just too much. For comparison, my friend just traded in his '06 Civic LX with similar mileage for $12K.

I maintain my cars very well and usually make necessary small repairs here and there and drive them for long time, but I didn't want to take a chance with the engine on this CTS. Good luck to all awaiting resolution.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Worst dipstick ever. It's colored black, so you can't really see the dark oil on it.

The fact that you know what the dipstick looks like, unlike so many who post here, is why your engine never went completely south. You've also confirmed what I've believed -- high oil consumption that, if ignored, leads to total engine failure.

Wonder why some of these engines work so well and others don't? It's not as if every one of these engines is a dog. Either they (GM) know and don't want to say, because the cost of fixing all of them is prohibitive or, worse yet, they don't have a clue.

Either way, you dodged the bullet. Better luck in the future!
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Update on my nightmare: After finally speaking to a supervisor, accomplished nothing.

I am not willing to pay out of pocket to have my car towed & diagnosed by Cadillac knowing they will never admit fault. I'm sure that is a can of works they'd rather not open, as it will cost them hundreds of thousands to admit to a faulty engine for an entire fleet of cars having the same issue.

At this point my only recourse if to purchase a new/used engine and (a) drive it for a few years to get my money out of it or (b) sell it as quickly as possible and never look back.

I can't speak for all GM's but I can assure you this was my first and last Cadillac purchase.

Good luck to those in the same position. I at least feel better about the situation knowing I am not alone in this.
  • zebandcozebandco Member Posts: 22
    My 06 STS V6 just let go at 80K miles. No compression. Metal shavings in the valve actuators. I had the same mysterious oil consumption issues but never had low oil pressure indications. I was told the car has a low oil pressure safety switch which kills the motor on low oil pressure. Does anyone know if this is true? Dealer wants $10K for new motor (a 5 star Cady dealer). That ain't happening. Calling Detroit today. If I had bought 07 it would be under the new 100K mile drive train warranty. Good luck to us all.
    Sorry to hear that...sounds like we are all in the same boat. My 05 CTS still sits in my driveway now collecting dust. I've spoken to a few shops and they all had a hard time locating a used engine. The best they could find was this:
    http://www.salvageautosauction.com/vehicle_detail/Salvage-2005-Cadillac-C/T+CTS+- HI-for-Sale/lot-24746790/Graham-Washington

The dealer wants $7 for a short block alone. I don't have 10k do drop on this P.O.S but if I sell it as is I'll get nothing. Cadillac offered no help unless it was 07 or newer. We're all screwed basically. Spend 7-10k to repair it and hope I can get a couple years out of it....or sell it as is for a couple grand while I STILL owe 3k on it. Either way I am loosing allot of money on this purchase that I made only a year ago.

FML
  • cadillacmomcadillacmom Member Posts: 19
    Sorry to hear about the problems - - - my engine went last August, and I have a 2006. No lights, no warning, and we were on vacation. I left my car in Nebraska until I could get answers from GM. Eventually, they came through with a new engine but it took 2-1/2 months without my car. I had 56K miles and my car had just gone out of warranty. I had all my service done at our local Cadillac dealer, which probably saved me. GM did a huge amount of checking before they agreed to a new engine. I still think it was the timing chain that went and caused the rest of the damage. At this point, I don't know whether to keep the car or not. When I read of your problems, I am thinking it might be best to sell it. I have a new warranty on the engine, so I thought that I was kind of safe.
    If you got a new motor you are probably okay until you sell it, I guess. It's about time to trade it anyway, yes? Mine went in to the dealer at 60K running rough. They said it was and three quarts low on oil. The car was between 5000 mile oil changes. I should have traded it on the spot then. I just put my wife in a 2011 Malibu LT today. She loves it. GM is really trying to move the Malibu and Impala. right now. Good rebates. Dealer cash. Impala goes away for 2012 and debuts with a new design in 2013. Of course, the world ends Dec 2012 according to the Mayan's, so what's the point. ;)
  • maddcaddymamamaddcaddymama Member Posts: 5
    I agree! I took my Caddy Cts 2005 3.6 car to the dealer with what I described as a weird Vortex kind of sound comming from the motor. I was stumped having been told by my dealership to go by the oil-life monitor and not the dip-stick. DUH ! I was told I was 5 quarts down but my oil-life monitor was still reading 28% I was totally taken off gaurd-5 quarts low did I hurt something? Earlier last year after having the car and putting my first3000 miles I set up my first oil change. When I arrived they checked the oil life monitor and sent me home saying it's not time(at that time the oil-life monitor read 51%)come back when the monitor reads under 10%! Something has to be done and too many people have a very plain and simple problem! I'm really thinking that if something goes terribly wrong with my car because of this problem I will seriously find a great lawyer and go full-boar after the appropriate party! :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Sell it. Trade it. Get out of it. The next thing that happens could be total motor failure (like mine). My dealer treated me pretty fairly all things considered, but you could be on the hook for all of the diagnostics ($2K plus) and then and easy $5K plus for a rebuilt or junkyard motor (they told me $10K for a new GM motor). It's not worth it. I was over two months without a vehicle trying to figure out what was going on. I should have traded mine the first time the oil mysteriously disappeared. Newer Cady's (07 and above) have 100K drive train. Run, mama! Run fast! Good luck.
    maddcaddymama is right! Sell it as fast as you can and don't look back! My engine completely siezed (2005 w 80k miles) and I had NO luck finding a used engine with a warranty that exceeded 6mos. The dealer also told me $10k for a new engine. They were of no assistance to me whatsoever! Luckily I fount a buyer for that nightmare, who gave me $6k for it. Not near what it's worth but considering it needed an engine I took what I could get for it. I was not willing to invest another 5-10k in a completely unreliabe vehicle that might drop dead on me a year from now. That was the first and last Cadillac I will ever buy. I am now in the Market for a Honda, Acura or possibly and AUDI! Good Luck
    maddcaddymama,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me with more information about your situation and concerns? Please include you VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and complete contact information including a good number to reach you. I would like to look into your situation further.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Christina at GM Customer Service thanks for replying and yes I am frustrated. Not quite sure how to e-mail you my information. Please help because I would like to sent you the appropriate information concerning my very frustrating ordeal! Is you'r e-mail address gmcustsvc or socialmedia@gm.com -all kind of new to this computer operations!!!
    Christina sent my official complaint to the official Cadillac complaint service thanks
    Good luck, caddymama. When I called Cadillac customer service they just verified that my car was being worked on at the dealership. They weren't interested in doing anything else. I still say "Run!" the first chance you get.
    maddcaddymama,

Thank you for the update. Please keep us posted on any information.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • zgoodheartzgoodheart Member Posts: 1
    Hey lsk1, I am having the exact same problems. I just bought an 07 CTS and I have 18k on it. Did you ever figure out a solution??
    zgoodheart,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Can you please email me your VIN, current mileage, and involved dealer? I would like to look into this further for you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • havinfun1968havinfun1968 Member Posts: 3
    Well, they had the car for 5 months before the finally decided to put in a new engine. They never really told me what the problem was
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    My 2008 CTS is overheating. The car was at the Cadillac dealer for diagnosis for two days and they said that they cannot find the problem. They pressure tested the cooling system, checked operation of the electric fan, and put dye in it to check for leaks. When it starts to overheat, it misfires and the computer message comes on which says that the engine is overheating. Question for the forum: What is the problem and how do you fix it?
    Just wanted to pass on great news for me........I am out of my caddy the ticking timebomb! Took a small loss,2grand, but now drive an awesome 2011 Nissan Maxima! My dealer-Marc Motors of Sanford Maine signed me up for a 3year lease,1 year free maintenace,free car washes, and full three year warranty! Blue tooth is nice and is very compatable with my cell phone.I also save the 20bucks I had to pay for On-Star!The car is so,so nice! :):):)
    Good for you! Sounds like you came out better than me. I know leases are better suited for some than for others. Do your research so you don't get any nasty surprises at the end of the lease. Good luck and congratulations, caddymama. ;)
    Please post any worries about the lease......think I am good but all the imput is appreciated! Thanks! Feel better without the Caddy......... :)
    nwraaa,
    I apologize for your frustrations. I would recommend asking your dealer to involved technical assistance. If you would like I can also set up a case for you with GM Customer Assistance. Please let me know if you would like me to do so.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • cadyeldomancadyeldoman Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2011
    My 05 CTS with a 3.6L recently had a check engine light. I took it to an autoparts store and they told me I was miss-firing on #4. I put new plugs in it (Champions) and it worked fine for the next 10,000 miles (It had 100,000 at the time). Now the light is back and I discovered I was 4 quarts low on oil. I hear a noise sounds like it's coming from the top end of the engine. #4 missing is the computer fault. I have changed the plug twice- second time using origional Delco plug reccomended by my dealer, then I changed the fuel injector (recomended by auto parts store) and I have swapped out the #4 spark igniter with the #6--- stil rough idle with a light and miss-fire #4. The dealer wants to hold the car to diagnose it but, since I am making the last payment this month, and it is out of warranty by 2 years and 60,000 miles, I am not ready to pay $1000 to have someone tell me I will have to pay more to fix it. I cannot find a trace of the oil leak so I will have to assume it's being burnt by the cataletic converter somehow- that mobile one must not smoke much. Best case scenario is a bad valve guide seal on #4, worst I suspect a crack in the head at #4 or bad piston rings. I see several folks have had this problem but has anyone been told what specific item has failed? Thanks!
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    If you were low four quarts of oil, how many miles did you have since you had last changed it? That is a lot of oil consumption. My guess is that you have damaged your engine running that low on oil. Of course, that has nothing to do with the plug misfiring. If I were you, I would be running to trade it after your last payment.
  • avguy2avguy2 Member Posts: 7
    That's how it started for me. The timing chain jumped on mine. If the valves are out of time the oil blows by them and into the converters. I would get out now!!! If the chain jumps all the way off count on putting a new engine in.
    edited June 2011
    I had 50% oil life left, normally it does not burn more than a quart between oil changes. I'm looking at the design of the valve stem seals in my service manual- I can see where one might pull apart and cause all of this oil loss- resulting in a misfire as well. I can't find the statistics on how many CTS's were sold as compaired to how many engines failed but I am guessing around 300,000 per year were sold (my eldorado sold at 80,000/year but they are a rare car to see compaired to the CTS). Even if a thousand were having this problem I feel I would be fine if I just fixed what I had. I have the cam cover off now and plan to remove the camshafts today (it's hot outside- I'm in no hurry to kill myself in the heat) I have a trick to remove the valve springs by running a cotton rope down the spark plug hole then turning the engine until the piston presses firmly against the valves to hold them in place. My biggest problem is that my dealer closed up and I have to drive 30 minutes to talk to another. My old dealer used to loan me special tools if I needed them (They make one for everthing nowdays). I figure my 88 eldo has 340,000 miles and runs great, while my 92 eldo has 200,000 and runs like new as well. I don't trade cars in anymore, I just keep them. Sounds crazy but blue book is based on the idea that a used car is going to be the one in a thousand that does not run right- thats why the first owner sold it or traded it in. Most used car dealers can hide these problems with rags placed under the valve covers (stifens noise and slows the oil leaks temporarily). Anyhow, the lower end of the engine does not seem to have a spun bearing yet- I know what that sounds like from racing chevy's in my younger days. If I can find one in a junk yard I may just get a new cylander head- but they are very hard to find there-- a good sign for overall reliabilty anyhow. Thanks!
    edited June 2011
    Thanks for the info. I seem to have a tight chain and the misfire only effects #4 so I am thinking it could still be minor- that is, my labor and 4 valve stem seals (maybe as much as $70 for a bag of 24 of them)- and/or some lifters . If I need to I will put another engine in it- but not new- salvaged. They are very hard to find- I may have to go to the town hit by the tornado and bring one home upside down on my boat trailer. Thanks again!
  • happyjack9happyjack9 Member Posts: 1
    Just happened to stumble onto this site. I have a 2004 CTS that I love! However, I am sad to say, my CTS, goes thru oil like I own OPEC. I drive 82 miles a day, 5 days a week. It just gets worse. Have to monitor the dip stick constantly. This is the only way to keep up with it. It was and still is my dream car. I hate to even consider giving the car up. But it seems that it is the path that I will have to take sooner than later. I had hopes of keeping this car a long time. Like many Cadillac owners have done in the past. Thank you for sharing your experiences.
    Have to monitor the dip stick constantly.

The fact that you take the time & effort to do this is the one and only reason your engine hasn't grenaded . . . yet. Anyway, well done.

No sign of a root cause for the sudden increase in oil consumption, which is the real question. This board is a testament to the fact that most people who drive these cars expect there to be a dashboard light to tell them when they're low on oil.

No such luck.
  • outfieldguruoutfieldguru Member Posts: 1
    Hello HappyJack9,

I also monitored the dipstick on a regular basis, did not rely on an "idiot" oil light and changed the oil and filter every 6K miles. It is the sudden loss of oil that is so distrubing. Before my engine blew I went from fine to 4 qtrs low in 3 days, no visable leaks or oil on the garage floor.

I wish you luck!
    Hi All,

I have a 2006 CTS, and have a new engine which was installed last November, 2010 after completely blowing my engine on vacation. GM did work with me on this, but there was never a clear cause. I still think it was the timing chain that went, but the damage was severe so that the only recourse was a new engine. The new engine has a new warranty, but I struggle with keeping it or trading it in. Like many of you, I also love my car! Love to drive it, OnStar, XM radio, etc. My concern is that I honestly can't afford a major problem - if this engine goes, or if other issues start, it could be thousands to fix. I could end up with a car that's worthless.
  • billpaulbillpaul Member Posts: 103
    Has anyone considered defective valve seals? This can cause sudden burning of oil, with no oil spots, etc.

This was a defect in VWs & Audis years ago.
    edited June 2011
    I also monitored the dipstick on a regular basis. . . Before my engine blew I went from fine to 4 qtrs low in 3 days. . .

Extremely interesting -- thank you for your post. Previously I assumed there were two things at work here: 1) this engine sometimes starts using oil at a great rate, combined with: 2) the people who drive a CTS expect it to take care of them and either: a) not have a problem, or b) tell them well in advance if there is one. This cohort doesn't know what a dipstick is, let alone know how to use it. Well, you're not in that group and your got screwed also. This thing is worse than I thought.

Somewhere out there is the explanation, and we're never going to hear it. Well, maybe not never. Perhaps in 20 years or so, after all legal liability has expired, there may be something.

This engine is a roulette wheel. Sometimes you hit the green pockets (0 & 00) and everyone loses, except for the casino. Let's see, that's about 18 to 1 against.

Are your feeling lucky, kid?
  • pochospochos Member Posts: 1
    IT IS AMAZING YOU GUYS CAN PUT UP WITH SUCH ISSUES FOR THE SAKE OF " BUYING AMERICAN"...AMERICAN BUILT VEHICLES WILL NEVER CATCH UP WITH EUROPE OR JAPAN HIGH END MODELS. USA VEHICLES ARE BUILT FOR SHORT TERM USE LEASES, CAR RENTALS ETC AND NOT FOR LONG TERM KEEPING LIKE THEY USE TO BE IN YEARS GONE BY. GM SPENDS MILLIONS PER YEAR IN AWARD WINNING COMMERCIALS INSTEAD OF PUTTING THE FUNDING IN QC...KEEP BUYING ON IMPULSE CREATED BY SEXY ADS AND YOU WILL GET JUNK ! GET AN AUDI A6 OR A8 OR A BMW AND WILL NEVER BUY A US MADE CAR AGAIN. AMERICAN COMPANIES DO NOT MAKE PREMIUM VEHICLES, PERHAPS THE CORVETTE COULD BE AN EXCEPTION BUT STILL DOES NOT MEASURE UP WITH PORSCHE, FERRARI, ETC
    Why all CAPS?

Do you really wish to scream that loudly?
    You answer your own question. You can't afford to a major repair. I loved my STS too. For a time it was the best car I had ever owned and I bragged about it, but I should have traded it at the first sign of this kind of trouble. So should you. Pretty good pricing these days.
    cadillacmom,

Glad to hear you did receive a new engine for your vehicle. If you do experience any further problems please be sure to contact GM Customer Assistance. The number is located in the back of the owner's manual.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
    Thanks, Caron. I would like to keep my car for a long time. I would tell you that I have been spooked by the engine problem, and that it took two months before I could get the problem resolved with GM. They did come through in the end, but I was fortunate that I was able to get to work, etc. without my car for that long.

I do check my oil. Since the engine was replaced in November, the oil level still shows slightly over-full. Not one drop seems to have disappeared. I have only driven it about 4,000 miles since November.

I do love my car!
  • bekins2bekins2 Member Posts: 29
    my 2008 caddy awd just reached 70k.had the recall done for the oil life monitar had tran flushed and has new plugs installed it running great.Anthing else i should b aware of?Also had the radiator flushes and filled.I love this car and would like tokeep it for the long run any ideas
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    what does the owners manual state for scheduled maintenance?...sounds like you have done a lot....I have an 09 CTS (37K) and an 04 Chevy Malibu (184K)...for the malibu....all the services you mentioned are needed until 100K....not sure on the CTS