Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

Comments

• madctsmadcts Posts: 6
    I just got my 2008 cts back last week. It was burning 1.25 qts every 3000. The dealer had the car for two weeks and replaced the whole top end (rings pistons ). When I got the car back the first time, it made a bad noise, I took it right back. The converted had broken off and lodged itself in the pipe. They rePlaced the entire pipe from the manifold to the tail pipe. The seals were leaking on the differential, so they replaced them to! They had my car for 26 days!! My 68 chevy truck buned less oil!!
  • I wanted to update the forum on my oil consumption problem. Remember also that I am in Canada not the US and so as Sarah has pointed out to me, I need to look to GM Canada for resolution. The last time I posted my Cadillac dealer took the car for 3 days in December 2011 and replaced "LT CAMSHAFT COV RPL" and the workorder quoted "Part number 12641261.

Well flash forward to a few weeks ago when I had put on about 2900 kilometers and checked the dipstick and it was almost dry. No oil was in the hashed section of the dipstick. I immediately took the car into the Cadillac dealer. They started me on an oil consumption monitoring routine where I have to take the car into them (no appointment required) every 1000 kilometers. They will measure and record how much oil is needed.

Well today my car was at 920 km, so I dropped by the dealer. He added half a litre of oil, and recorded the numbers on my oil consumption chart. The mechanic also confirmed that GM Canada also sees more than 0.946 litres of oil per 3200 kilometers as excessive oil consumption. So I have to have at least one and perhaps two more 1000 kilometer "readings" before a decision is made. My vehicle is a 2005 CTS with 99,700 kilometers on it (about 62k miles). I asked what the remedy would be, and the tech said there were a number of possibles including dismantling the engine to gauge the piston clearances, or possible replacing the entire engine.
  • cetoceto Posts: 3
    I have a 2010 Cadillac cts and bought it new in 2011,and the first week I notice each time I started the engine it makes a loud humming sound,so I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal,then a week later it got louder,so I brought it in again and they said it was the lifters,I said for a new car less then 1000 miles?they said man made brake,wow a cadillac.so they replace the lifters and still the same noise.and now they say its still normal,then 1 week later traction control light turn on.they said it just needed updating???New Car???.Now I got 10,000 miles on it and now white smoke is coming out of the tail pipe,brought it in again,and they said i had a high cor bin build up and I should stick with just one gas station...WTF.....so I brought it home again and 2 days later I decided to check the Oil, even if it was still 36%.I checked it and the oil was almost gone.I brought it in again.and they gave me a loaner.so I just got the call back today to pick up the car.So I told them I wasn't satisfied with the car and you sold me a Lemon!!!!!They told me to drive it home and monitor it for a 1000 miles to see if it will eat oil again.this is there last chance,...Can anyone tell me what should I do. PLS HELP
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning ceto,

If we can be of any assistance as you work with your dealership towards addressing this, please send us an email to sarah_grace@gmexpert.com with more information (include your name/Edmunds username, address and phone, last 8 of your VIN and approximate mileage, and name of your dealership).

Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Insist on a new engine. If they do not concur, then go see a lawyer and advise them you'll sue. That will get their attention.
  • burketmburketm Posts: 1
    Just wondering how things are going now that you are using Castrol GTx. Is the oil not being consumed as much? How did you go about transitioning from synthetic to conventional oil?
    Also, would like to know if anyone else has tried this.
    Note: I have a 2007 2.6 V6 and have received a 10 year warranty from GM on the timing chain, also did the recall which consisted of re-calibrating the oil change intervals system.
    I am experiencing similar problems with going through 1.3 quarts every 2000 miles.
  • You should check with your dealer before switching types of oil. I am in Canada and my dealer told me that if I did not continue to use synthetic it would void my warranty, so I will continue to use synthetic (even though it costs about $17 per litre and my oil changes cost around $150)
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Hey Bill,

If you live near the U.S. border, buy the synthetic oil in the U.S . and bring it to the dealership when you have the oil changed. It will save you some $. Four U.S. quarts of Mobil 1 costs about $35 U.S. at Walmart.
  • bdahlg68bdahlg68 Posts: 2
    Same issue here...

My wife and I have a 2009 CTS4 with the base V6 engine. We bought the car new in August 2009. It currently has approximately 24,000 miles on it. It has been about 6,000 miles since the last oil change (always synthetic). While driving the car Wednesday, it felt like it had a problem with the transmission or torque converter. It felt like the trans was slipping and there was a decent amount of noise. The next day I called Cadillac they said to bring it in. We stopped driving the car and brought it in today. Since it was coming up for an oil change IMO (OLM said 49% remaining), I agreed to have them do an oil change while the car was there. This afternoon we got a call that the engine was 3.5 - 4 quarts low on oil. Note that the previous oil changes did not indicate abnormal consumption (at least it was not noted to me). The noise was assigned to the timing chain and the timing chain will be replaced. I was told that actually low oil sometimes voids the warranty but that the dealer will fix the timing chain. Nothing else has been noted yet as an issue. I'm concerned about several things now. Mainly that the dealer is fixing the timing chain but also voiding the warranty for the engine. Although I'm not having issues with the dealer yet, I can almost smell it coming. My wife and I sold 2 BMW's and picked up two GM cars during the recession - mainly to support the American economy. I really hope not to regret this decision. Has anyone here had issues with the warranty being voided after bringing the car into the dealership with low oil?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  • erycuserycus Posts: 7
    The warranty was expired on my 2005 CTS, although I did call Cadillac and GM only to be told there is nothing we can (Will) do for you. I ended up purchasing a rebuilt 3.6.

Dump the Caddy NOW! I will never by another GM! I actually love the looks of the new Camaro....but despise the customer service or lack of customer service.

Read all the comments in this thread, it will help you understand why CTS owners are so upset! :sick: :lemon:
  • cady2004cady2004 Posts: 13
    Get rid of the car that is the best thing to do , while it still has warranty on it I have a 2004 CTS and I have had my timing chains and heads replaced the differential has had issues and the front wiring harness replaced and it uses 1 quart every 1000 miles, it appears the issues are still there 5 years later. I have bought 2 Toyotas one has 40k and the other 100k and neither have required any repairs so far I would get rid of the cady but as you will find out it has very low resale. Good luck. I think more Canadians and Americans at home are employed by foreign car manufacturers then GM so I would not be to concerned about saving jobs in NA.
    James
    When the oil gets low, the computer tries to shut down the engine. That is what was going on when it felt like the transmission was falling out!! Same thing happened on our 2008 (70,000 miles). I also took ours into the dealer and they changed the oil. (it was 3.5 qts low!) After 3000 miles, I took it back to the same dealer and had them check how much oil was still in the engine. It was nearly 4 qts low. Thats when I told them the rings must be bad and that it was covered under the 1000,000 mile drive train warrenty. They then talked to the factory and was told to run the Oil Consumption Test. They then ordered the parts and fixed the engine. They also had to put on a complete exhaulst including the converter. The rear seals were leaking on the rear and they replaced them also.

The dealer should not give you any trouble. They get reimbursed for everything including your rental. Tell them to run a oil consumption test. The factory limits on oil consuption is very high!(like .75 quarts every 1,000 miles!) They should then replace all the pistons and rings. They sould check the catalytic converter because it gets ruined with all the oil being expelled. It will take 7-14 days to get it all done.

PS The timing chain is under factory recall. They souldn't have given you any crap.

PSS First, the engine will shut off if the oil is to low. Second, If you read some of the prior posts, you will find out that some owners have gone on long road trips and ran it out of oil!3000-4000 mile trip.

owners should not need to fill up the engine oil everytime we fill up the fuel tank!!

Remember back in 2007-2010 is when GM got their bailout. It seems as if they began cutting corners about this time. Don't take any crap from your dealer. My guess is that your dealer does not have a clue about the problems this engine has with OIL!

Good Luck!!!
    Eric
    It shouldn't have cost you anything!!!
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 451
    I have a 2009 CTS also. I have not had the oil comsumption problems that you write. I have my oil changed every 5,000 to 6,000 miles at my Cadillac dealer. When I asked my service department on my first oil change visit how often to change the oil, my advisor said that I needed to change it every 6,000 miles. He told me that they were finding that they had to replace the actuators at 50,000 if you had gone by the OLM. The OLM is a piece of junk. It misleads so many people. Do you have receipts on all of your oil changes? In my case, my dealer would have the record. If you have receipts, there is no way that your warranty should be voided. The OLM does not tell you when the oil is low. The dealer will tell you that. My guess is that they are wanting to hold you responsible for not checking the oil level between visits. My 2009 has 28,000 miles and 3,000 since the last change. I just checked it and it was down a pint. Push them on this!
  • bdahlg68bdahlg68 Posts: 2
    I have the records on the oil changes. Not too worried about that. But I was looking also through the manual in my Pontiac G8, and it says to check the oil at every fuel fill. In winter in Michigan? Yeah right. But, it also says that basically low oil is my issue and it can void the warranty. I'm sure the Caddy manual says something similar. I understand to a certain extent to cover major negligence. But, with regular oil changes there really shouldn't be an issue. I'm very curious to talk to the dealer tomorrow. Hoping they surprise me in a good way.
  • billpaulbillpaul Posts: 103
    With all the reports of low oil levels in these cars, I am surprised the cause (assuming there is a single cause) has not been identified. If there is a defect causing rapid oil loss, then it should be covered under warranty rather than void the warranty.
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Posts: 1,964
    Good morning,
    I see in your later post that you will be discussing things further with your dealership today. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know!
    Regards,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • My 2007 CTS is currently in the shop @ 98000 i was told the cat converters were bad and had them replaced. $850.00 later the check engine light still on and now they are replacing the timing chain.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    ctsowner2,
    I apologize for your frustrations and inconvenience. Please keep us updated on your situation. Please feel free to email me directly. I look forward to hearing further from you.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service