Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Stalling Problems

Comments

• wedo43wedo43 Member Posts: 14
    The coil packs did work, I wish I hadn't waited so long to deal with it. I remembered it all started after a hard rain, moisture was seeping up into the coil pack boots. Make sure your replacement includes both coil & boot. You'll need a spring type bendable socket extension to reach all the holder bolts.

I instinctively thought that increasing the load, turning on the AC for example, would accent the problem but in truth it never seemed to make a difference, it did it the same regardless.

BTW, my check engine light never did come on either. I have had a battery light coming on intermittently for a couple yrs now that I haven't figured out. Doesn't seem to affect battery strength or life.
    Good luck Rryder3 let me know if I can help.

Wedo43
  • rryder3rryder3 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the quick response! Found coils with boot at ford auto parts. Charging $70 for each. I am going to replace 4 for now to see. Mechanic says he will install the four, and if that doesn't work, he'll switch out the other set of four. I'm thinking if we capture were the moisture (condensation) is coming from it'll work. I know it sounds cheap, just trying to save some $$.

I'm learning more than I ever thought I would about this truck. I must say that I am surprised that there wasn't a recall for this problem.

You've been a great help! Thank you.
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    You can get aftermarket coils for around $90 for the whole set. Try ebay. Lots of people have had very good luck with them.
    yeah, I bought some off of ebay and paid considerably less than the dealer price. They've worked fine for over a year now.
    wedo43
  • rryder3rryder3 Member Posts: 3
    Hello,

Just wanted to thank you (wedo43 and alwaysfords2). Found that it was the # 7 coil that wasn't operating properly. Got the Ignition Coils off of ebay for $59.00 versus $90 ea from a dealer. My truck is riding fine now. Whew!!

Thanks again!
    I like happy endings!
  • tyshauntyshaun Member Posts: 13
    does that apply if you have an 2003 Eddie Bauer expedition with a 5.4L engine instead of a 4.6?
    Yes, it applied to my 2003 XLT with the 5.4 engine.
  • babichrtbabichrt Member Posts: 1
    This thread was invaluable in helping diagnose/fix the problems we were having with out 2003 5.4L. Last year it started misfiring after a rain so got a code reader at Harbor Freight on sale for about $45. After a few weeks I got a P0308 code (no codes initially). I ordered a set of coils off ebay and replaced #8 plug/coil. Problem solved. This year during our first decent rain (SoCal) the misfiring returned. Got codes P0306, P0307. Replaced all the coils/plugs (111k), 6 & 7 first and problem solved again. Then the misfire came back. It slowly got worse until I finally got a P0308 code. Checked the one year old #8 coil and the wire coil in the rubber boot was all rusty. Replaced the #8 coil again, problem solved. Looking back all the coils on the left bank had moisture in the boots and rust. All the right ones were bone dry. I got a hose and ran some water on the windshield and a steady stream was dripping onto the left valve cover and splashing onto the #6, 7 & 8 coils. The heat shield blanket was installed under the plastic trim at the base of the windshield. My brother's F-150 has the blanket installed neatly below the plastic trim. I trimmed the blanket and siliconed under the plastic trim to stop the leak. This will, hopefully, help keep the coils drier.
    Thanks for the feedback babichrt, glad to have been a part of helping someone else. Also, thanks for the tip on the hear shield blanket, I'll need to take a look at this. One tip I have is that I have started using a silicon grease between the plug & boots to seal water out. Just a little around the widest part of the porcelan base of the plug so that it doesn't impact the electrical connection. Has worked great on my dirtbike in recent mud races.
    Wedo43
  • nicensmileynicensmiley Member Posts: 1
    First of all..I'm a girl - I had the same problem this weekend. It rained really hard and I had the sputtering the next day (a Saturday). To make a long story short, it was the #3 ignition coil. I took it to a mechanic and got it fixed and I got all the the spark plugs changed too. It cost 627.00 with parts being 125.00 for the coil and 12.00 each for the spark plugs and 95/hr for 3 hours of labor. They tried to talk me into getting all the coils replaced but I said no. I think I was ripped off. Was I?
    You did alright. $95.00 hr for a mechanic is a fair rate. $125.00 for the coil was high but it was probably one from the local dealer so it was high to begin with. $12 for a plug is reasonable (one for my motorcycle runs $30.00). However, the #'s above add up to $506.00. Either there's an extremely high sales tax where you live or ...... I'm curious, did you read this forum before or after you had it repaired?
    The plug job in my area runs around $400 with plugs (unless they start snapping off, which they are prone to do). Coils from the dealer are very expensive, you can go on ebay and buy the set of 8 for less than $100. So maybe you got taken a bit, but in the end you are up and running and you won't make that mistake again. I'd say invest in the whole set of coils and changethe rest of them yourself.
  • hrehre Member Posts: 1
    2000 Expedition, 185,000 mi. Runs great most of the time but the "check engine soon" light came last year. Had it checked and the read was "lean left" or "lean right". My mechanic turned it off and it did not come on again until the outside air temp dropped below (approx.) 30 degrees. Throughout the spring, when the temp dropped, the engine would begin to idle rough and occassionally stall when I came to a stop no matter how warm up the engine was. Now when the outside air temp gets above 90, the engine acts very sluggish and low on power. Initially the mechanics I spoke with thought "check engine soon" light reading indicated a manifold gasket problem but we decided not to do anything because the car runs great 98% of the time. I'm beginning to think this is more likely to be a fuel pump issue than a gasket problem. Your thoughts will be appreciated.
  • gumbytoogumbytoo Member Posts: 1
    My guess is that it's a vacuum leak. I have a 2000 Expedition, 204,000 mi. Check the two small hoses on the Differential Pressure Feedback EGR (DPFE) sensor. When they dry rot and leak air they exhibit the symptoms you describe. (You can only get those exact hoses at Ford. They sell it by the foot. I looked elsewhere.) Also check the rubber grommet for your PCV valve at the valve cover and the hose that goes from the PCV valve to the back of the intake manifold. That hose is notorious for rotting. Pull it off and inspect it. When the PCV grommet on the valve cover gets oil soaked it gets loose and air gets past. That will trigger some codes.
  • slampslamp Member Posts: 1
    Have a ford expedition XLT 1999, turns on with no problem but continues to stall when not applying the gas. Had problem last year when it got cold and it worked
    itself out. This year the same thing. I've turned it on and applyied mild amount of gas while cars in park, waited until the temperature raised then the car stalled on it's own after 5 minutes at idle. Any suggestions?
  • 808rico808rico Member Posts: 2
    hey my expedition is doing the samething as yours.and thats my wifeys and kids car you r right its like driving a bomb would you know the part number of that harness i called that number you posted on the other thread but cant get through cause i live in hawaii maybe its another number that we can call.thank you
  • deb35deb35 Member Posts: 4
    I have no idea but I have the exact same problem. I passed smog in California just fine. I replaced the catalytic converters (all 4) for $800.00 and changed the fuel filter. Someone told me it has to be a sensor. I also have the problem of it running out of gas on the downhill when there is still a quarter tank of gas left.
  • deb35deb35 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone, if you are having a problem with stalling, go to the first post in this thread (#1) on page 1 and read all four pages. I couldnl't believe it, this read like it was my personal diary LOL!!! Thanks to everyone who helped prevent me from going bald by pulling my hair out.
  • safety117safety117 Member Posts: 1
    Im a used car dealer and I just bought this at an auction. The previous owner said this has been happening for about a year, the engine just dies randomly. He's aready replaced the PCM, reprogrammed the new PCM, Throttle body, fuel pump/filter. No codes ever come up on the diagnostics and it won't happen with the dealer present. I don't want to just pass this along to either a buyer or other dealer, so I'd like to get it figured out and fixed. I boought it to 2 service places now, both saying the same thing (one being a Ford dealer)... no codes or history comes up and it won't do it for them. The next day it ran fine, the next, couldn't get it to go a 1/2 mile. The following day (today), it's running like a champ. Any suggestions other than pawn this off on someone else? Any help or ideas is appreciated!
  • cmartinez1cmartinez1 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    First I am a girl and am tired of being pushed around by the Ford Dealers with a god complex.

Did you ever figure this out. I have a 2003 Expedition too and I am so ready to just drive it off a cliff!

I am getting no codes, but when driving up hill have absolutely no power I am lucky if it stays above 30 on highway if it is going up the hill.

When just sitting there you can hear a miss in the idle.

I am so pissed at Ford as they only want money and still cant figure it out.

HELP ANYONE!!! :cry:
    Did you figure this out? Was it the fuel pump??

I am having this same issue with the 2003 Expedition, but am having absolutely NO LUCK

Help.

Thansk
    Char :cry:
    Missing at idle caught my eye. I have had 2 engine issues with my 2003, intake manifold and coil packs.
    The intake manifold is made of plastic if you can believe it. It cracks over time and leaks coolant. The coolant and water evaporate when the engine gets hot and evaporates up ... right into the coil packs and plug boots. The engine has a cover over this area which just concentrates the evaporation into these components.
    The 1st time I noticed a problem was after a heavy rain, again, moisture & condensation.
    I had the manifold replaced for around $1400.00 only to have missing on various cylinders continue. After reading this forum, I bought some coil packs on eBay and replaced them myself. Problem solved. I just looked on ebay and you can buy a complete set for anywhere from $130.00 to $270.00
    Good Luck, hope this helps.
  • troppavsealtroppavseal Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased this 2004 Ford Expedition with 168,000 miles (highway) older couple who religiously brought in for every appointment as the manual directed. I have had it for almost a month and this week we noted it stalling while I was driving and I could start back up in neutral. The last couple of days it was stalling more and more...no warning, stuttering, or anything. Today I drove about 100 yrads.

I have been reading all possibilities, but still hoping to hear a miracle. I live in FL. It is rainy season. I changed the air filter and no change in behavior. Very frustrated!!!

:sick:
    Dana
    Well - I took my in to have it looked at as you could spend thousands of dollars trying all of the stuff on the forum only to find out that both cats were so plugged that air is coming out of my motor.

This will be the 2nd time in 2 years that I am having to replace cats on this messed up ford! I am so sick of dumping money into this vehicle and Ford just says oh there is nothing wrong with these vehicles. YEAH RIGHT.
  • brad90brad90 Member Posts: 4
    HAVE READ ALL THE PROBLEMS POSTED AND MY FORD IS ALSO JUST SHUTTING OFF . AFTER MY MECHANIC HAS REPLACED PLUGS,COIL PAKS, PCV,FUEL FILTER, AIR FILTER, DPFI SENSOR, REPLACED SEVERAL BAD VACUM LINES, SCANNED ALL CODES, CHECKED O2 SENSORS, MADE SURE THERE WERE NO MORE VACCUM LEAKS, IT RAN GREAT FOR FEW DAYS THEN JUST SHUT DOWN. SO WE TOOK IT TO FORD DEALER, THEY THOUGHT IT WAS CRANK SENSOR AND REPLACE IT, DIDN'T WORK. NEXT GUESS IS WIRING HARNESS THEY TELL ME, THE MAGNETS IN THE A/C COMPRESSOR CAUSE SOME SORT OF PROBLEM IN THE HARNESS ??? WILL KNOW TOMORROW IF IT IS THE PROBLEM, WILL POST IF IT WORKS OR NOT.
  • drkcdrkc Member Posts: 1
    Please let us know what happens...same problems as so many others...2006 105,000 miles
    UPDATE TO PROBLEM, WAS NOT WIRE HARNESS, DEALER REPLACED CAM SENSOR, STILL NOT FIXED, THEY ARE TOTALLY BAFFLED, TRYING IGNITION SWITCH NEXT, WILL POST WHAT ELSE HAPPENNS
  • fordjackfordjack Member Posts: 2
    I have 194k miles on my '03 Ford Expedition and just recently started to have the same problems. When idling, the vehicle begins to rev up and down and will eventually shut off unless I put it in neutral. I have had bad vacuum lines replaced as well as several other things and still no solution. I can not tell if the vehicle shifts poorly in low speeds or if there is a lack of power from somewhere. Also, it is very sluggish in reverse as well and will shut off if I don't quickly put in back in park or neutral. Wonder if the problem is the transmission?? Any ideas?
  • rockbottomautorockbottomauto Member Posts: 1
    Was your vehicle triggering DTC's?
    WHAT ARE DTC'S ?
    UPDATE TURNS OUT ONE OF THE NEW FORD MOTORCRAFT COILS THAT I PURCHASED FROM THE DEALER HAD MALFUNCTIONED SOMEHOW AFTER WE INSTALLED IT AND WAS CAUSING THE PROBLEM, IT ONLY TOOK THE DEALER A WEEK TO FIGURE IT OUT AND THEN STILL CHARGE ME FOR THE PARTS THEY PUT ON THAT WERENT NEEDED AFTER ALL. SO CHECK ALL THE OBVIOUS EVEN IF IT DOESNT SEEM RIGHT,
  • christin1christin1 Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday we bought a '01 Ford expedition from munday ford that already had 153k miles on it......it ran so well yesterday and this morning. But leaving work for lunch this afternoon it will only start and stay on if I give it gas, and it such low RPMs. If I take my foot off it dies. Please help!!!
    Also there was no warranty on it from the dealership. So what can I do?
  • bombina3bombina3 Member Posts: 2
    mine did that too. Its the central junction box. its the one thing ford overlooks. they had to hook a "heart monitor" up to mine and had one of thier mechanics drive it for a week til it miraculously died on him, they hit record on this machine and found the problem. Good Luck.
  • bombina3bombina3 Member Posts: 2
    central junction box. trust me. there are no codes and ford doesnt check it.
  • fordjackfordjack Member Posts: 2
    I have 194k miles on my '03 Ford Expedition and just recently started to have some problems. When idling, the vehicle begins to rev up and down and will eventually shut off unless I put it in neutral. I have had bad vacuum lines replaced as well as several other things and still no solution. I can not tell if the vehicle shifts poorly in low speeds or if there is a lack of power from somewhere. Also, it is very sluggish in reverse as well and will shut off if I don't quickly put in back in park or neutral. I am not sure if it could be a problem with the fuel filter/pump or if it is a faulty coil. I have read on the message boards for a solution but still have not found one. Any ideas??? Thanks
    How about checking out the IAC (idle air control) valve? In other threads I've seen it show up as a culprit.
  • raidermargraidermarg Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ford Expedition that has been having problems for over a year. While driving, it randomly loses the power in the gas pedal and then dies completely after a couple seconds. It takes 3 or 4 tries and then restarts every time. It will be fine for a week and then it does it 3 or 4 times in one day. I took it to ford and they guaranteed it was the fuel pump. I then took it to a mechanic that was referred by 3 people and he said he did not think that was the problem (he did some readings for pressure or something). He kept it for a couple days, drove around and of course it never did it and he was stumped on what is the problem. I took it home and dealt with it for another month and then said forget it I will just change the fuel pump. Ford was going to charge me $1,100 but he did it for $800 and told me again he did not think that was the problem but what was I to do. He changed it and it worked like a champ for 2 months (which was longest it has went without happening) buuuttt...again..it is doing it. We tried checking the wire that sits on the a/c pipe but that is just fine. I don't know what to do. I can't take it for long trips and I can't afford to just keep "trying" stuff. Anyone have any other idea's? Help
    Let me know what you find out because I have replaced everything including the cats 2 times now and still have *@!$% codes for the exhaust and the stupid P0171 code as well.

I am so sick of this truck - I am ready just to let it go back.
  • jctech1jctech1 Member Posts: 5
    check the coil boots, any condensation build up will cause those problems. the reason for that is the Triton design, plugs sit almost flat on heads, easy for water to be stored. solution: use electrical grease in all your connections: injectors and coils.
    For cruise control problems, there is a recall on many F-150 & Expedition models. check if yours is one of them.
    There is no fuel pump pressure gauge, but the fuel pump regulator is by
    cyl. # 8. diagnose: key on engine off X reading. when the engine is running it should be 5 p.s.i. less of your first reading.
  • suzie16suzie16 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Ford Expedition as well, we have now replaced sensors, coils 6,7, 8 the fuel pump, I tried having the controller module re-programmed today, we will see if it runs better tomorrow. The manager at the dealer told me drive the car at least 30 miles after the re-prgramming and if it still does it to bring it back, that it could be the harness or chaffing of the wiires.

Someone help ? Any ideas ?
  • abreauxabreaux Member Posts: 1
    my 2003 ford expedition 5.4 engine has been hesitating, losing power and rpm not getting any higher than 1400 when accelerating. seems like engine boging down and has been stalling during driving for the last few days. engine light came on and code shows cranck sensor. cranck sensor changed with no luck. i have changed 4 of the eight plugs and coils in the past which has helped when the vehicle has been hesitating in the past. now ford diagnostic tests says may be cpm. i am a woman and not very familiar with all of this. what does that mean? Please can anyone help? ford has had my truck for 2 days and cant tell me a thing. just says it is a very unique code and they dont know why. HELP!!!
  • kelrae75kelrae75 Member Posts: 1
    My Expedition just turned over 110k miles and started doing this tiny little shudder/chug at idle and occasionally at highway speed. I also noticed that my fuel mileage was getting worse and worse. I changed the fuel filter and was told by several mechanics that the spark plugs likely needed changed as well. I had that done yesterday and the vehicle drove great the rest of the day yesterday and this morning. However, this afternoon I took it out and felt a tiny shudder as I was driving. I ignored it until I went to turn a corner and my vehicle died. It was still rolling so I put it in neutral and tried to restart it. It started and started and started even though I had let go of the key but didn't fire/actually start. I finally got it off to the side of the road and had to have it towed. I tried to start it twice more at the dealership but I got the same thing...it kept turning over but wouldn't actually start. It will be Monday before anyone can even look at it.

Last summer my anti-rollover kept kicking on at random times and almost always when it rained. It would make my anti-lock brakes kick off and on and the anti-rollover light would kick on but only once did it throw a code.

Is any of this related or just two random occurrences? Any ideas on the issue I'm having today?
  • crodaddycrodaddy Member Posts: 2
    I just let my expedition sit for about a month while I drove my other vehicle. When I started it again it started fine,but when I put it in gear,it stalled. Then when I gave it gas it would go ,then lose power,until I let off the gas,then it would go again when I gave it gas. This now happens in 5-7 sec intervals. Press gas it goes,then loses power,till I let off gas,push gas again and it goes.again and again the whole ride. So very annoying. Does anyone know ant the problem could be??? Pleas let me know. Thanks
  • produce_guyproduce_guy Member Posts: 1
    I would be inclined to say to look at your Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. I had a similar issue with my 2006 Expedition, so I unplugged the battery, sprayed cleaner into the throttlebody and wiped clean around IAC, let dry and problem went away. It took a while before a light even came on, any many other people have stated that they had the same issue with no warning light at all. This was done about 25,000 miles ago, and still running strong.
  • crodaddycrodaddy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks produce guy. I'll def be trying that. I've also been told it could be a sensor and to use c foam(not sure if that's how u spell it) and spray some in your intake ,alil bit in your oil and the rest in your gas ,and its suppose to clean all the sensors and all that nasty stuff out. Not sure if you have heard about that,but I'd def like your input if you have. Again thanks. I hope this fixes my problem
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's Sea Foam and I've read mixed reviews. No personal experience using the stuff. Sea Foam Motor Treatment. If you search around for it, many people (including me :blush: ) spell it Seafoam.
    I've Sea Foamed my '03 Expedition about 20k miles ago @150k, but not my '04. I did the "through the brake booster" technique. I think it definately cleaned things out - it was a smoke storm when I restarted it, but that is what you are supposed to get. After the soak and start through the booster, I did a can in the gas tank. Not brave enough to throw it in my oil. I've got a pair of cans to do it again, just haven't had the time.