Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

How do you find a scenic drive?

places2driveplaces2drive Member Posts: 3
I'm working on a web site for people to list fun and interesting place to drive. I need ideas!

Suppose you're thinking about taking a drive just for fun- a day trip maybe. What decides your destination? Where do you go for ideas? How do you decide?
Tagged:

Comments

• odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    Scenic Drive - (as my wife says) Is when it takes you twice the time to get somewhere without stopping.

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need Roads." - Dr. Emmitt Brown

Odie
    Odie's Carspace
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    odie,

that's pretty funny. ;)

Rocky
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I find it very pleasant, thank you! :-)

Seriously, I just go exploring, usually out in the local mountains, on a vector that leads straight AWAY from the city. I don't generally consult maps, or web pages of good local drives, or anything like that.

Stick to back roads, not state highways, and go UP when ever up is a choice, and you can stumble on some gorgeous views and fun back-country drives.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• mako1amako1a Member Posts: 1,855
    I live near the I-81 and I-77 interstates and I hafta tell you it is as scenic as it gets especially if you like mountains. The roads here are as smooth as anywhere. We're not far from the Blue Ridge Parkway which is also nice, but anywhere around here is incredible. I just built a 91 Camaro Z28 convertible with 425 HP because it fits here so nicely. It takes the hills with ease and corners like a Vette.
    I recommend Rt 94 from Independence to Fort Chiswell and Rt 11 which parallels the interstate for spectacular views and even I-77 as Senator Byrd of W Va made sure his state had nice roads with his name on them. I would avoid Rt 16 near Marion as it is too curvy to enjoy. And look for the "Scenic Byways" signs in Virginia as they are just what they say. Just watch out for deer in the evening as they move to their sleep areas. Enjoy. Dave

2013 Mustang GT, 2001 GMC Yukon Denali

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Like, How do you Afford a scenic drive? :shades:

Anyone spending their retirement savings on cruising lately? Where are you going?
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    I'm towing my V8 SeaRay behind my V8 Lincoln to run around the lakes of Chelan and lower Canada beginning with Schuswap and then Okanaggon. At my age, I don't even buy Green bananas so I'm spending while it is still mine. I just wish the Rebate check was proportional to the tax I paid. Giving everybody the same is not fair.
    Did a weekend trip and came home through the boonies (although everywhere around here mostly qualifies for that moniker).

Stumbled on a ~20 mile stretch of paved two lane called Sawyer County (WI) Road GG that veered off Highway 77 (the Great Divide National Scenic Highway). Scenic woods, elk country, and saw a bevy of trumpeter swans.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Have the leaves turned by now in N. WI and the UP? Having grown up in WI I fondly remember the stupendous fall colors.
    It's funny; we're close to the lake and still have lots of great looking trees (especially wearing sunglasses :shades: ).

Go a half mile inland and it looks like winter hit, and it was pretty bleak all the way to Minneapolis last weekend.

"The" lake being Superior btw.

I'm hoping for a spell of nice dry weather around Hallowe'en so I can mow and mulch the leaves, assuming the rest of them fall by then.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Having been to Copper Harbor a couple of times, I know your area. The lake is beautiful, at least in summer, when i saw it.
    Yeah, been up that way twice now. Another scenic drive.