Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Your Favorite (or Not So Favorite) Automotive Quotes

odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
edited March 2014 in General
In this thread we can discuss our Favorite and Least Favorite (or Hated) automotive quotes from Movies, Commercials, Radio, etc. etc. Also if at all possible try and list who said it, or where it's from.

For Example:
Favorite - "Roads? Where we're going, we don't use roads." - Dr. Emmitt Brown (Back To The Future)

Least Favorite - "It's a december to remember." - The most horrible quote from our lovely MB dealers around Christmas.

Have fun and enjoy. I will try and keep a tally and at the end of each month tell you which quote is the Most Favortie and the Most Hated (december is not going to be counted).

Odie
Odie's Carspace
Tagged:

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    From "The Blues Brothers":

Dan Aykroyd/Elwood Blues:
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."
    John Belushi/Jake Blues:
    "Hit it!"

Dan Aykroyd/Elwood Blues:
    "Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail me now!"

--------------------------
    From "Smokey and the Bandit":

Burt Reynolds/Bandit:
    "What d'ya think they do for excitement in this town?"
    Jerry Reed/Snowman:
    "Probably sit around and watch the cars rust."
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    was alive with his Seattle-area Glen Grant Chevrolet commercials. He would usually start out his TV ads with "Have I Got a Deal For You!" So rehearsed and so not true.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    When talking to the media about Chrysler's successes and failures with emissions controls:

"How much clean air do you need?"
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Hmmm I am trying to think of one that isn't profane...

Eugene Levy talking to Chevy chase/Clark Griswold about the new Wagon Queen Family Truckster:

"If you think you hate it now, wait til you drive it"

Clark Griswold on his Truckster that idles/diesels after shutoff:

"Oh, all new cars do that"

From European Vacation:

Ellen Griswold: "Clark, you're on the wrong side of the road!"

Clark Griswold: "Yes I know, honey, I'm also on the wrong side of the car. "

Hmmm I need to remember some non-Vacation lines.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    where the family tries to teach Mama how to drive...

The grandkids: "What does a green light mean?"
    Mama: "Means I'm gonna have to yell at Franny or we're gonna sit there all day!"
    The grandkids: "What does a yellow light mean?"
    Mama: "Means Naomi's gonna speed up and try to kill us both!"
    The grandkids: "What does a red light mean?"
    Mama: "Means Ellen's gonna fix her hair in the rear view mirror."

Then, when Franny and Mama are out in Franny's car...

Mama: "I have logged enough miles as a passenger to know how a car starts and stops. Why don't you tell me something I don't already know?"
    Franny: "Like what?"
    Mama: "What's a Prindle?"
    Franny: "A WHAAAT?"
    Mama: "A PRINDLE! Says right there...P-R-N-D-L!"
    Franny: "Thelma. Honey. That's your gear designator. That's Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, and Low."
    Mama: "FINE! I believe I'll start off in Low"
    Franny: "NOOOOOO. Don't ever put a car in Low! You could end up stripping the transmission or something!"
    Mama: "Then what the hell's it doing on there?!"
    Franny: "I do not know. I have never put a car in low, and I don't intend to find out!"
    Mama: "Then I'll start off in Drive"
    Franny: "No! You can't start a car in Drive. You have to start a car in Park!"

Then, a few moments later, after Mama gets Franny's Dart Sport wedged in between an Olds Toronado and a Datsun pickup, "I think I need an "S" for Sideways!"

Good thing she was in a Mopar and not a Pontiac. Back in the 60's and 70's, Pontiac shift quadrants were often labeled "D, S, L" for "Drive, Second, Low".

And just to be nitpicky, most Mopars, as I recall, had them listed as "D, 2, 1", with no "L" at all.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    "Maybe I'll have you take out a cab that doesn't have all the luxuries...like reverse!"
  • lokkilokki Member Posts: 1,200
    Ettore Bugatti:

Upon receiving a complaint that a Bugatti Royale didn't like to start on cold mornings

Anyone who can afford a Bugatti can certainly afford a heated garage!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    thanks for the picture of the guages and dials and memories of my parents(and later my wife and I's)1973 Plymouth Gold Duster. We literally ran the wheels off of that car. For $2950 the car was a bargain and treated us all very, very well.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    I remember driving one of those most of one summer. Wasn't mine - belonged to the dad of the woman I was seeing. Probably about a 72 Valiant.....
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • places2driveplaces2drive Member Posts: 3
    "Every car is a sports car sometimes."

- Satch Carlson, Autoweek
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    "She's just about as fast as a pregnant nun going to confession."
  • euphoniumeuphonium Member Posts: 3,425
    when Mopars had push button tranmission selectors to the left of the steering wheel. They were called "Power Flight" transmissions. (N L D R) Push Buttons

Amos steps up to the Parts counter and says, "I needs a kit!"
    Andy: What kind of a kit?

Amos: Well, this guy next to me wanted to see what I got so when the light turned Green he took off kind of easy. I figured he wanted to Lag a little so I pressed the "L" button, but then he took off & I figured he doesn't want to Lag, he wants to Drag so I hit the "D" button and we were going pretty fast when he goes by me so I figured he doesn't want to Lag, he doesn't want to Drag, he wants to Race - so I hit the "R" button. I need a kit." :shades:
  • carlisimocarlisimo Member Posts: 1,280
    shoot, can't find the exact quote, but it's from one of the bigger car magazines.

"When the last stickshift car rolls off the line, I plan to be there with my checkbook. I hope it's not a Yugo."
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    a local car dealer, about 15 years ago.

"push it,pull it drag it, MAMBO it on down. We'll give you $2,000 for any trade."

If I had to vote, I would take the Vacation lines about the Family Truckster.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    ...from the original "Mad Max", when the police mechanic is showing Max the interceptor that he will eventually use to take on the motorcycle gang at the end of the film:

"The last of the V8 interceptors!"

"She sips nitro... with Phase 4 heads! 600 horsepower to the wheels! She's meanness set to music and the [non-permissible content removed] is born to run!"

Classic. :shades:
  • emmanuelchokeemmanuelchoke Member Posts: 97
    On the 1969 Polara,"...test car was as loaded as a slowly drowning mouse in a vat of bourbon." and "in the best tradition of the marijuana set..."

1969 Mustang Mach 1 "..more style than a Chinese pallbearer." Another car "Hairier than a Mongolian Hippie"

1970 Z28 "..and if some pimply-faced goon bleeps his go pedal at you at a traffic light.."

Looking through the old issues of Mechanix illustrated was a refreshingly non PC nostalgia trip, although to emphasize how times have changed were the subscription cancellations due to Mimi.
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    I caught the pilot episode of "That 70's show". Red and Kitty had recently, grudgingly, bought a Toyota Corolla because of high gas prices. Red makes a comment along the lines of "The last time I was that close to a Japanese machine it was shooting at me!"

Then, about their Vista Cruiser, Red makes a comment like "The dealer only offered me $400 in trade for it! I'd let it rust in the driveway before I'd let it go for that!"

And Kitty pipes up..."But honey, it IS rusting in the driveway! Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha..."
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Or the episode when Kelso wants to buy Leo's late '60s El Camino, and tries to borrow money from Jackie. He tries to to explain to her why it's so cool:

"Jackie, it's Spanish for 'the Camino'!!" :)
  • mrbimmermrbimmer Member Posts: 5
    "We are the ones in the Imperial, we should be ahead!"
    - Mad mad world
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    also from The Blues Brothers: "We're on a mission from God!"
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • spoomspoom Member Posts: 85
    Said with a straight face by Riccardo Monteban "I like what they've done to my car." Cordoba, rich Corinthian leather, etc. :)
This discussion has been closed.