Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• storytellerstoryteller Member Posts: 476
    Megs50: I shouldn't say this, but I'd think of buying your Forester. Write me if you are interested (email address is in my profile).
  • ottensteinottenstein Member Posts: 7
    Recently my daughter was driving my wife's 2000 Forester S to school. She hit a patch of black ice, lost control and went off the road. She went over an embankment, went straight down horizontally (about 10 feet), hit a tree and rolled over onto the passenger side. My daughter's only injury was a broken collar bone which was caused by the seat belt. The Forester was a total loss. The frame was twisted, the engine was pushed under the car and the drive train was hanging from underneath. The roof was buckled and some of the doors were jammed. My wife found the front license plate up in a tree. I was extremely grateful for the design of the Forester which kept the passenger compartment intact while the vehicle suffered severe damage. I would highly recommend the Forester from a safety standpoint, besides that it is a great car.

Our insurance (which is replacement value coverage) gave us a check for the value of a brand new Forester S including tax even though the car was 2 1/2 years old and had 45,000 miles on it.

Rick
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Rick,

Wow. That's amazing. I'm glad to know that your daughter was able to walk away with relatively minor injuries for such a terrible accident.

Your story makes me feel better about my choice with the Forester.

Are you going to buy another one? The 2002 or the 2003?

Ken
  • outback165outback165 Member Posts: 108
    Rick,

First of all, thank Goodness your daughter is OK! Without a doubt she had some ride! While both my sister and I drive Outbacks, and have selected these vehicles for reasons including safety, it is stories like these that reassure us about Subaru's safety. It also makes me feel good since my mom is about to take delivery of an 02 Forester L.

By the way, what insurance company do you use? Your story is as much a testament to the safety of Subaru's ring shaped reinforcement frames as it is about your insurance company's appreciation for the value of Subaru's

Pete.
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    To whomever was asking about the stuck fuel filler neck flap -- take that into the dealership. I just had a similar problem with my new 2002 Subaru Forester S, although the flap wasn't stuck. A vent valve near the fuel filler neck, however, was faulty, causing me to have to fill the tank $.50 at a time. Quite annoying.

Good luck!

Regards,
    burnsmr4
  • dhdunndhdunn Member Posts: 51
    Thanks all for clearing up my disinformation (although I hope I qualified my posting with enough "I'm-not-sures") about the Freelander and the Escape. Does anybody have any crash test data on the Freelander?

d
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The guage pack from the Impreza fits perfectly, so it should bolt right in. It's easy to remove the cover - I did when I swapped to the dual cup-holder.

storyteller: you'll have to beat my bid of $8 grand. By all means, though, get in contact with each other. Sounds like both parties could benefit, big time.

Rick: first off, glad to hear she survived. Sounds like an unbelievable amount of force to absorb. God bless her.

Nice insurance, too. If she can, wait until May to peek at the 2003s.

-juice
  • yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    Happy to hear the injuries were minor. Next time you watch the Forester vs. Escape commercial, you'll be able to smile and know your choice was a wise one.

Don
  • ottensteinrottensteinr Member Posts: 4
    My wife decided to replace her Forester with the 2002 Honda CR-V. Nothing negative on the Forester. I believe it saved our daughter's life and is a great vehicle. I highly recommend the Forester. The new CR-V had more interior room then the Forester which was important to us. I happened to be in Toronto when the Auto Show was there, so I stopped in to see the 2003 Forester. It was nice looking, but didn't seem to have much more room then the current model. I can't be sure however as they would not let us open the doors or sit in the car. The styling is a nice evolutionary upgrade to the current Forester.

Someone asked about our insurance. It is Donegal Insurance out of Pennsylvania. One thing about replacement value insurance is that since the cost to replace a car with a new car versus a depreciated car is so much higher, it takes a lot more damage to total a car. Consequently, the insurance company will want to repair the car if it is cheaper then replacing with a new car. If the damage is more then depreciated replacement but less then a new car you may end up with a car that was repaired after catastrophic damage, unless you can work a deal with the insurance company. Our insurance company was initially talking about repairing the vehicle. I asked for a second appraisal of the damage and both the adjuster and the shop agreed that the car would cost more then a new one to repair. The shop also said that the car was "too far gone" to be safely repaired.

Rick
    I'm glad you got a 2002, because the previous model didn't fare nearly as well as the Forester in IIHS tests. The new one, says Honda, will match the Forester's "Good" rating.

Tell her congrats.

-juice
    Rick,

The 2002 CR-V is a good alternative, especially if you're interested in more passenger space. The Forester raised the bar with mini-ute saftey and others have been following suit.

In the interest of keeping you in the Subaru family, could we interest your wife with a roomy Legacy or Outback wagon? They've scored even higher on crash tests. :-)

Ken
    Legacy did well in front and side impact tests, both IIHS and NHTSA. The new CR-V has not yet been tested.

-juice
  • jredelenjredelen Member Posts: 3
    Didn't have time to read all the past week's posts so I apologize if this has been covered already. Does anyone know if the 2003 Forester will be at the World of Wheels Car Show in Washington, DC this weekend? I know this might be pushing it, but if so, will it be open to inspect the inside (or has it been open at other car shows? I think Rick said he could not get into the car in Toronto). Thanks. Jackie.
    I don't know, but my guess would be "no". You could e-mail pmickel@subaru.com and see if she can find out. If so, I'd actually like to go!

-juice
  • jredelenjredelen Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info, Juice. I will try to find out and post if I get anything definitive.
  • maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    I am about to take my 98L in for a inspection on the drivetrain...the metal grinding noise during acceleration is not going away, even after a tranny fluid and filter change, and a switch to synthetic gear lube for both the front and rear diffy. Now I am getting this metal clanking sound at traffic light stops...it only happens when the car is in drive at a stop...it comes and goes...but very annoying, and kinda embarrasing. Anyways, here is my Q...will the dealer give me any hassel given the fact that I have removed the snorkus? Will they try to blame the desnorking for any damages? and finally, if they do give me hassel do I have any recourse with SOA?? Patti, maybe you can help me out here. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
  • texsubarutexsubaru Member Posts: 242
    I don't know who's quoting you such a low resale value, but, if your Forester really is in good shape, it sounds like a dealer is just outright trying to rip you off. There might arguably be a bit less overall demand for used Foresters here in Texas than up north, but I don't think there's really enough second-hand Foresters to meet even that reduced demand. When I was shopping a little less than 2 years ago, I couldn't even find any promising used Foresters in Austin -- although we do have 2 different Subaru dealerships here -- and ended up having to go all the way up to Waco to buy my '98 L. I think you just need to shop your Forester around a bit more to find someone who'll pay you closer to its real value.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    put the snorkus back in and you won't have any issues. Guaranteed.

-mike
    Just got ~6" of fresh powder on the ground today, with high winds and other wintery goodies...its gonna be like this for the next couple of days...so, no way to work on the car. Plus, I seem to have misplaced all the screws that I took off when I desnorkused the car...snorkus I still have...but no screws, no re-intall. Hence the problem and questions.

Mike
  • ron3805ron3805 Member Posts: 22
    Just recieved the the April 2002 Conusmer Report edition of the yearly auto issue. In the new car section there is a picture of the Foresters rear end. Beyond that it's not possible to see much.
    It says that the 2003 model is due in May and will only have a "facelift".
    Mike,

As with any modification, a dealer can only void the warranty if it can be proven that the modification was the cause of the problem. I think in this case, you don't have much to worry about.

Just try the dealer first. I'll bet they won't even mention it.

As a rule of thumb, always do due diligence by working with the dealer before getting SOA involved. You'll be suprised at how good and responsive dealers can be when you allow them to work with you.

Ken
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Ken is on target with his response. If you run into a problem once the dealer has checked it out, give us a call and we can try to help at that point. It's in the dealers best interest to do the "right thing". Let us know?

Thanks!

Patti
    I agree, the shouldn't refuse to pay because the snorkus isn't in. But if one is worried that it could it's always best to return the car to stock before having work done. Almost all my mods to my warranty car are setup so that they can be easily returned to stock in the event I need to have work done where they might be suspect to a problem.

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    IIRC, when I removed my snorkus, I was able to put back all the screws/bolts in their original positions. Maybe that's why you can't find them? In any case, grinding in the drive train has nothing to do with air intake so it should be a non-issue. FYI, when I took my Forester in for a bad oxygen sensor CEL, the service rep asked me I if was aware that my snorkus was missing. They didn't give me a hassle though and didn't try to imply that it had anything to do with the CEL.

-Frank P.
  • ginapginap Member Posts: 12
    My Subaru is in the shop. I also had a run in with a dump truck trailer. The damage was all on the drivers side because I kinda got it wedged underneath the trailer. Even the cop was amazed there wasn't more damage and that I was perfectly fine. My husband wants to see if the car is OK because even though it didn't get totalled he is worried there might be other problems we can't see. But he says if we have to get a new car it will definately be another Forester. I am just mad because there was snow here and I was forced to crawl along the highway with a crummy Cavalier.
    Mike: I doubt they'll even notice the snorkus is gone. It's hidden in the fender. Though it is a "silencer" and may help quiet things down somewhat.

If you had water in the engine and a wet air filter, they could say something, but not in your case.

Bummer, Gina, sorry to hear that. Get a dealer or a very reputable shop to do the work, and demand OE parts. Let the paint cure for 6 weeks before you wax it, and keep it clean in the interim.

Before you take delivery do a detailed inspection, not just on the outside panels but the doors, hinges, fenders, underbelly, engine bay, etc.

-juice
  • goldencouple1goldencouple1 Member Posts: 209
    Let me second that with gusto. I had a very bad experience in that regard once. The shop tired to give the vehicle back to me twice and I found wires hanging out and off, one of my lug-nuts missing, low fluids, missing lightbulbs, etc. Inspect it closely. And the paint job in particular and closely. Get down and look at it at all angles for rough spots, bubbles, ect.
  • ginapginap Member Posts: 12
    Oh yeah I unfortunately know all about it. When my Protege went in for service they did a crummy job. Unfortunately I did not find out about it until I got rear ended and the dealer I brought it to was horrified at the shoddy work. They had glued stuff in as opposed to welding or whatever. Of course that didn't hold up after a shot to the rear.
    Thank you for your responses, I feel alot better now. I have every intention to work with the dealer, Northtown Subaru/Hundai is a five star dealership, and so far one with the best service people I have ever worked with. Even though I am pretty sure I wouldn't get any hassel from them about the missing snorkus, there's always that little voice in the back of my head, you know? Thanks for the re-assurance.

Mike
  • ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    OK, I'll bite. Although I have my suspicions, I have to ask -

What's a snorkus, and why would you want to remove it?

Steve
    It's the intake silencer. It sits in the passenger side fender well, and feeds air to the intake air box, where your air filter is.

Why take it off? The stock intake on my 1998 gets air from the engine bay, which is hot. Requiring that the air make the extra twists and turns can in theory restrict the flow of the air as well. So you have less air, and hot air, which is less dense.

Why leave it on? Less work, less noise, and it may not work as well in practice as in theory.

-juice
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Is that Chile's flag? It isn't the Texas flag,albeit close.
    Sorry for the cross-post from the Future Models forum, but:

Just picked up my wife from the airport. She was in Japan for a two week trip.

One of the goodies she brought back for me was a special issue of "Car Top" -- a Japanese car magazine -- dedicated to the 2003 Forester. Lots of cool photos, pics and diagrams in there.

I'll look through it later and maybe take some digital pix of ones that are interesting.

Ken
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    On another board the conclusion seems to have been reached by way of "experienced" reports that ABS braking on snow and ice, though much more stable and straight, is *longer* than with regular brakes.
    Am I to conclude that in a case where I need to stop real short, I should pump my (Forester AT) brakes like I learned in my long lost youth?
    Thanks for your response.
    Joe
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Trust me !...if you just jump on the binders on snow / ice...you will not like the results!
    Not to "jump on the binders" -- I take this as a recommendation to lightly pump, yes?
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Yep!....Just drove 60 miles each way to a ski instructors clinic on 6+ inches of snowy/ice rural roads. Its a delicate balance of brake/gas pedal to negotiate turns/curves without losing control. For straight line rapid emergency stops it becomes a white knuckle adventure because the ABS is not as controllable as pumping the pedal yourself.
    A long answer to say if you have to make a rapid stop.....pump the pedal yourself!
    I hope you never face this situation..because as someone that has the potential of it happening daily.....its scares the bejebers out of me. I highly recommend you avoid to the best of your ability by conservative driving on ice/snow.
    Hope this helps....
    I would just try threshold braking - at the limit before lockup. It's tough on uneven slippery surfaces, though.

-juice
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    I don't think we have the option of choosing US state flags in our profiles, so texsubaru chose Chile's which looks similar enough to Texas'. Of course he could also be longing for the day when Texas becomes an independent country again...;-)

Ed
    The Minnesota state flag is amazingly cluttered and politically incorrect. It includes, among other things, a pioneer who has halted his plowing to glare at an Indian on horseback who is riding off into the sunset. If I had to see that thing every time I posted I'd go back to lurking!

On the other hand, I genuinely enjoy seeing all the Canadian flags. It is too easy to forget how closely the two economies are tied.
    Thanks, your suggestions have been transcribed onto my memory tape loop to be constantly cycled when I find myself in those circumstances.
    Joe
  • jeffmuljeffmul Member Posts: 1
    I own a 99 Forrester with 72k miles. A few days ago, the car refused to move, even though the engine ran fine. We called AAA, and their tow truck driver was surprised to find both front wheels of the forrester totally locked up. They would not budge. The car was towed to a repair garage, then to a transmission shop, then finally to a Subaru dealer, where it was determined there had been a "catastrophic bearing failure in the front differential". The car is out of warranty.
    Repairs are estimated at $2,000.00. The car has never been wrecked, or used off road. A call to 800subaru3, was met by indifference at best, but, the lady on the phone advised in no uncertain terms not to expect the least amount of help from Subaru. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?, and if so, was there any recourse against Subaru? The manager of the transmission shop was almost cerain the problem was caused by a defective part. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It sounds like from your post, that the front wheels did not lock up while you were driving, but rather you discovered this after the had been parked, and then tried to drive away? Am I correct?

I have not heard of this problem before. Perhaps Patti can be of some help...

Bob
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    My coworker's Forester was released from the shop a few days back. As posted earlier they deduced that an engine mount was responsible for a "vibration-clunking-grinding-noise" while the car was in gear and idling. I was suspicious of the diagnosis, but she's driven the car for a few days and reports that there is no longer a problem. Chalk one up of for dealer mechanics.

She questioned the service rep for details and was told that the mount was installed improperly. A part of the mount was missed during assembly. They replaced the whole mount under warranty.

Coincidentally, I'm reading the 3/4/02 issue of AutoWeek and see something similar in their long term update for the WRX. "Last quarter the dealer tightened a loose motor mount, but we're still experiencing mild drivetrain lash and a vibration at idle and wonder if the mount itself was damaged."
    I took my 98 in to make an appointment and I described the clanking sound I was hearing while the car was at a stop while in Drive, the service rep told me that its most likely a loose heat shield on the Y pipe, he said they have seen quiet a few of them. Gonna drop the car off next friday, going to have the brake master cylinder and tranaxle grease service bulletin done as well. Hope they don't have to keep the car overnight, that would be a pain.

Mike
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    That is a totally new one for me. I'll try to look at your case to see what's happening and I'll ask the Rep. to get back to you.

Sorry for the problem.

Patti
    Graham has posted in Meet the Members about the new Forester for the Australian market. Includes these statements about body specs: New Forester retains the same exterior width as the current model (1735mm) but is 20mm wider inside, at 1455mm, meaning improved space in several dimensions, including rear seat leg room (+25mm).

Exterior length is 10mm less, at 4450mm and, for ease of access, door sills are 86mm lower, while ground clearance is unchanged at 200mm.

Hope I'm not rehashing what everyone already knows.
  • entropy5527entropy5527 Member Posts: 24
    I have finally had my unshakable faith in Subaru shaken this last two weeks. My 98 Forester with 110,000 miles is falling apart. In two weeks I have had the following problems:

1 - Speed sensor failure (car still ran though)
    2 - Over head clock works sporadically
    3 - Rear gate cord shorted.
    4 - Code P0420 consistently reported by the CEL. Requiring two new catalytic converters, and two oxygen sensors. *If anyone knows how to properly trouble-shoot this I would appreciate help, I think the dealer is shot gunning the repair by wanting to replace everything, instead of finding which is the problem. The service manual has very little on this.

I have 5 beloved Subaru's and the eldest have over 350,000 miles. I have NEVER had any problems like this with them. I am worried that something important might break and be left on the side of a highway waiting for a terrorist to find me....
    Well unfortunately your new subaru will not run as long as the old ones IMHO. The ODB system gives you CELs at the slightest out of spec parts, so you are going to likely be hunting down emissions problems at various times through the cars life. I'd replace the O2 sensors and call it a day, the cats are probably fine. just my 2 cents.

-mike

PS: the problems you are having are not mechanically related to the cars well being, I doubt you'll get stuck with it.
  • burnsmr4burnsmr4 Member Posts: 318
    To whomever asked about the fuel filler neck problem,

The issue cropped up with a defective vent valve in the fuel system around the gas tank/fuel filler neck. It took the shop about a day to find the problem, as the mechanics had to rule out blockages in any of the fuel system hoses at the back of the car. A bent hose or bent connection can also cause similar problems.

After vacuuming the entire series of hoses, they re-tested the vent valve, which had earlier come out OK. The problem was intermittent, so your mechanic may miss it the first time 'round.

Unfortunately, the shop did not have the part, and seeing as I had just bought the car, they offered to take the part off another car on the lot and put it ouf of service. At least...I hope they put the modified new car out of service. Actually, now that I think about that, it's sort of scary. :-(

Anyway, my car has been running fine since the repair. I've filled up at 4 gas pumps in the past week and a half with traveling out-of-state.

I was concerned that my gas mileage might not be where it should, with the fuel system problem and everything, but I'm getting about 25MPG combined highway/city driving (with a slant the past two weeks toward highway driving). I'm keeping an eye on the gas mileage just to be safe.

Hope that helps.

burnsmr4
This discussion has been closed.