Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Aztek

nanaofbeastiesnanaofbeasties Member Posts: 2
Today I pulled into my driveway, put the car in park, and turned it off. Now I can't get the key out of the ignition, none of the lights will come on, and the engine won't even crank. For about the past year I have had no lights on the gear shift indicator, dim lights on the radio, and half of the dash lights have been out. Also, sometimes the car shifts out of park very hard, occasionally requiring me to turn it off then on again. A little while ago the lights on the radio quit all together. The other day I had to have the starter and the battery replaced. This has been a very dependable vehicle up until just recently. The car has a little over 160,000 miles on it. The fuse under the dash hasn't blown. The vehicle does have the built in anti theft system and stuff too.

Comments

• meredithmeredith Member Posts: 575
    This topic is a continuation of Topic 2977,....

Pontiac Aztek - II. Please continue these
    discussions here. Thanks!

Front Porch Philosopher
    SUV, Pickups, & Aftermarket and Accessories Host
  • koolguy123koolguy123 Member Posts: 37
    Can I be the first one? YAHOOOOOOOO!
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    I think you're the second :-)

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
    There is something wrong with that link back in Aztek 2, I couldn't get to this topic without typing it in. Thanks.
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Better watch out you might get yourself deleted.
  • genegradgenegrad Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I were set yesterday to buy an Aztec but the dealer wouldn't make us the deal we wanted so we walked out. We have two vehicles to trade-in (as we want to consolidate to one) and have decided to try and sell at least one, if not both, ourselves.

Anyway, we love the Aztec but have been getting sidetracked with the Mazda Tribute (which we know is like the Escape but we're not interested in the Escape) and maybe even a higher end car instead of SUV (SRV).

I read through most of the posts from the previous Aztec posts and most of the negatives I saw concerned styling. Is there anything with the interior, engine, handling, etc. that anyone has really had a problem with? The more I see the Aztec the better I like it but I know it's a strange bird off the bat with its looks.

Also, are you at least seeing the mpg listed for it?
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Personally, I think that I would wait until the IIHS offset crash test results have been released on the Pontiac Aztek if I wanted to buy one. My concern is that the Aztek (and Buick Rendezvous) is based on the GM minivan platform, which did very poorly in the European and IIHS front offset crash tests: http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/vans/trans_sport.htm

Despite the GM literature, there is still ambiguity as to whether the safety cage/platform has been improved crashworthiness-wise. Only crash tests can prove or disprove this.

Good luck with your decision!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    I found handling to be too minivan-ish for my taste, ride too floaty, and engine is a bit too weak for this heavy vehicle. Interior is a bit controversial. There are great-looking things there (like gauges) or yucky sticky grey knobs on radio... but then again it's a matter of taste.

Escape/Tribute is nice, but I'd be concerned with a multitude of quality problems they seem to experience.

Look and shop around. My personal favorite is Subaru Forester, and yes I own one ;-)
  • jeno2jeno2 Member Posts: 11
    I too liked the Aztek but decided against it and the main reasons were:
    1. The lack of safety and crash test results.
    2. The potential for poor re-sell value since so many people do not like the looks. And,
    3. Any brand new model has the potential for bugs that will not be ironed out until it's been on the market a few years.

I ordered a 2001 Subaru Forester last week.
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    Not to deviate from the Aztek topic too much, but what kind of Forester did you order? I love my 00' OB Ltd wagon. Wouldn't trade it for all the free Aztek's in the world! Have you visted the Subaru Crew site. There is a lot of info and cool people there, including a rep(Patti) from SOA and Darlene (the parts/accessories queen) from QSubaru out of Tennesee.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Good choice. Did you see the C&D article this month on the Aztek? Other then overal cargo space, the Forester beat the Aztek in every performance catergory and in price.

I am a big Subaru supporter and am hoping to get into an upcoming 220+hp Imreza WRX wagon when my Passat lease is up in 3 years. (maybe sooner!)
    Yes. I've been to the Subaru Crew board. It's keeping me calm while I wait the intolerable 8 weeks for delivery of my new Forester! :)

Thanks for the invite.
    How do you you post 'Hidden Responses'?
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    Found some comments in BW, have posted relevent excepts...

Concerning a new Pontiac sport wagon due in 2003 to be called the Vibe, it "will have a cleaner look, ditching the garish outside plastic cladding other Pontiacs often have."

"Pontiac has gotten out of the gate slowly with its current youth-oriented vehicle, the Aztek sport-ute, which missed its August sales target."

According to one dealer, "Its a good vehicle, its just ugly."

Photo caption: "The Aztek: So far, simply resistable."

In the interest of fairness the Escape/Tribute have had nearly a half-dozen recalls, for steering control, a/c, cruise, fuel lines, etc. Haven't heard of ANY recalls on the Aztek.
    To be fair though... the Escape/Tribute is for the most part a brand new vehicle. I am BY NO MEANS making excuses for the recalls though, they simply shouldn't happen. The Aztek on the other hand is almost compleltey Montana underneath the polarizing exterior.

Maybe someone should do a serch for recalls on the Montana when it first came out. Was that 2 years ago? That way you could make a fairer comparison vs. Escape/Tribute as far as recalls are concerned.
    Good question about the hidden post...I'd forgotten but then hit the help button to jog my memory. The trick is that you have to post your entry first then click on the highlighted # of your post. It will give two options, one to hide your post and one to scribble (I believe, don't remember what this means though). Good luck. BTW, why so long on the wait for your Forester?

Stephen
    Here's a rare story--An Honest car dealer!!

In a Washington Pontiac dealer's Aztek ad:

"Practicality Ain't Pretty"
    is the caption under a Aztek photo.
  • bubukittybubukitty Member Posts: 96
    Saw one in the flesh yesterday and I have to say that it is the ugliest vehicle (what the heck is it anyway...SUV or minivan?) I have ever seen. It was so shocking that I lost my breath for a second...no kidding, it was that bad to look at. If it is a typical Pontiac these days, the interior dash and guages have to be pretty tacky and poorly made. Heaven help Pontiac, because they have made one up there with the ranks of the Edsel and AMC Pacer IMO. I wish I could see that dealer ad!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    why assume if you can read praising reviews of the Aztek's interior?
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    I have only one comment concerning the Aztek:

UGH-GUH-LEE
  • nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    What is happening around Toledo??!! I see Azteks all over the place! Every day,more of them! I saw another one, silver/grey??(couldn't tell) on the way to work last night. The total is now 14 or so, all but the one driven by women.
    I would like to see Pontiac's demographics as to WHO is buying the things. Is the Aztek a "chickmobile" everywhere, or just in certain areas? And what is making these women buy it? It sure isn't "cute", is it??? Where are all the lunatics buying them coming from?? I wonder if it's a VIRUS, or something in the water. So far,I show no signs of this illness. I hope I am spared. If my girlfriend starts liking it, I know it's something catching. She really hates it so far. She did have a Gremlin 30 years ago though.......
  • squiredogssquiredogs Member Posts: 87
    I was really afraid that the Aztek would become a "mostly women" car. I like the vehichle, but I'm sorry, I don't want to be the 5% of males driving among soccer moms and rich girls! I hope that the above post is not an indication of the Aztek demographic! I'm still waiting for thw AWD, but that's a little discouraging... I thought the Aztek was to be an SUV type manly truck alternative.
    Even men have pride! :-)
    I ordered the vehicle because the ones on the dealers' lots had options I didn't need and I decided I would rather wait than pay for them.

The their production lead time is generally 8 - 10 weeks.
  • triplizardtriplizard Member Posts: 2
    Regarding your specific questions: The Aztek produces 180 (or is it 185, I forget) HP. I have driven mine in a variety of situations and found the power to be more than adequate, even going up a hill, on the freeway, with the AC on, with 3 or 4 passengers (unlike my Cherokee, which would almost die under these conditions).

As far as the "floaty" handling: it's a matter of opinion, probably most strongly influenced by what you've been driving previously. I find the handling to be great -- nothing like a minivan -- but my last 3 vehicles were all SUV's. Most of the reviews I've seen have praised the handling.

The interior is fantastic. This is what primarily sold me on the car. The seats are extremely comfortable and put you up high. The in-dash CD player is one of the best I've seen. The big handles are really cool and, of course, there is TONS of room in the back.

Basically, in regards to all of these points, if you're interested, I'd take a test drive. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly how you feel about it. I've had mine for over 2500 miles and have had absolutely no problems in regards to handling, engine or interior (or anything, for that matter).

By the way, due to time constraints and what I've perceived to be a deterioration in the level of dialogue on this board (and an amazing increase in off-topic conversations), I probably won't be hanging out here much in the future. If you're looking for me or want some specific information from owners, check out the egroups "Aztekowners" mailing list -- we're up to almost 70 members now, all either owners or people intending to buy in the near future.
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    Was going to the bank this morning. This guy pulled in beside me in a brend new Aztex, red & black, reeeel ugly ! He saw me looking at it and began to smile. "Really UGLY ain't she" he said. I not wanting to hurt his feelings so I asked "how does it handle"? "Could care less said he". "it's for my soon to be ex-wife". "I have to supply her with a new vehicle according to the divorce decree and I looked for the most butt ugly car I could find" "How do you think I did" "Fantastic I said". He walked into the bank chuckling to himself. He did GOOD.

Floridian
    :)
    rolflmao!!! :-)

That's about the funniest thing I've ever heard.
  • lxownrlxownr Member Posts: 16
    That story is too funny to be true!!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    are those someone's ex-wives driving around in Azteks? nrd525 - do you live somewhere near mormons?
    WOW 70 human beings ( well maybe) bought the Asstek in the good old USA..
    I wonder how many AMC Pacers were sold here, or
    Yugo's sold...Anybody know ???
  • steverisitysteverisity Member Posts: 39
    AztecOwners Anonymous
    I think I would look for a support group too if I owned one. I can see the commercial now.

Hi, my name is Steve and I,...uh.....I..er..uh...

group: It's OK Steve, go ahead and just let it out

Ok, I drive an Aztec
    Blahhhhhhhhhh!
    Well, the ages seem right for the "ex wife" theory! Toledo has SOME mormons, but not a lot. Maybe the Aztek is a "cult" item? I did manage to make it to work last night without seeing an Aztek. Whew!!!. But I'd be willing to bet I see one of them on the way home. I have seen at least one daily since last week! (throwing up!!!)
    I really would like to know if this area is an Aztek "hive" or it's just my bad luck to see so many! I wonder who will be driving the Buick "Rendevous". My guess is old men wearing hats with the little feather on the side. They are truly the most dangerous drivers on the road!
    What happens to old men that make them wear hats when driving? (Baseball type hats don't count!)

Barry
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    I'm commuting to/from Silicon Valley every day, and get to see a lot of cars on my 70 mi round-trip. A good chance to appreciate design of tail lights and rear ends (in traffic jam, that is ) ;-). Starting August, I'm watching for the Azteks to invade my commute route. By now, I've seen 2 Escapes, 1 Yugo (running!), plenty of Jaguars (for those who cashed on dot-com investments in time), Hummer-based limos, a couple of Rolls-Royces... but no Azteks. Hmmm.

BTW, all the Aztek billboards around here went down lately. A couple of them got replaced with Haloween "scary" ads, which I find ironic.
    None on the roads in my area either. I saw one with Mass. plates about a month ago but that's it.

Of the 2 local Pontiac dealers, I have seen a total of ONE on the lot.

I live near Dartmouth College and the Mary Hitchcock Hospital and Dartmouth Medical School in what is commonly referred to as the "Upper Valley" right on the NH/VT border. A very affluent area with a giant influx of young families. I would have thought that my area was exactly the target demographic for the Aztek... but I've seen none on the roads.
    I have to say that I have not seen one on the road yet! In the last month I have made a trip to Paradise Lodge on Mt Rainier (about 7000 ft)which is about a 150 mile roundtrip from where I live in Seattle. I also made a trip to Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands (WA State, not Puerto Rico)which was a round trip of about 300 miles. Maybe there are no Azteks because most folks in these parts are sold on Subarus. I saw more than my fair share of Soobs to be sure!
    Most people in my area who want an AWD go for Subarus or Audis, depending on budget. We are rife with SUV's and Minivans too.
    It's interesting that the vehicle demographic of the NE is very similiar to the NW. I guess the weather is probably one reason. Yeah, I forgot to mention we are also(going to use your word...) rife w/minivans and SUV's. Of course...being out west and all, we also have a corral full of p/u's in all sizes shapes and colors! I live in a section of Seattle (Ballard/Greenwood) that is known for its concentration of Norwegian and Swedish heritage. Consequently, we have a lot of Volvo's and Saab's from all vintages running around. As I remember, the NE has a load of them too (the Volvo and Saabs, I mean).

Just to tie this post to the thread....I still have my eyes peeled for an Aztek sighting!
    Same here, LOT'S of old and new Volvos and Saabs. My second car is an '89 Volvo 240 Wagon, the thing is a tank and dead-simple to work on... I love it. :-)

We have a ton of pickups too, this being farm country and all.

I have noticed that the Subaru Outbacks and Foresters, and the Honda CRV's seem to be the choice of young, families in need of AWD around here. Isn't this the market that the Aztek is supposed to be invading???
    I live in Tampa Bay, and I have yet to see a Aztek anywhere on the roads here...! I did see two at a Pontiac dealers lot, same ones that have been there for a month.
    Let's see, so far we've heard from San Fran CA, Upper MA near VT/NH border, Seattle (Puget Sound region) WA, & Tampa FL. No Azteks, unless you count at the dealers. Seems most of the ones sold are in the Midwest area. Wow, that's really hitting Pontiac's demographic! :-)
    I live in Scottsdale AZ. Every house on my street has either a SUV or a Minivan. I have never seen one Aztek on the road. The dealer that was advertising them for $2500 below invoice still has loads of them. They used to be up front on display for all to see. Now they are all sadly huddled together in a side section of the car lot. They have about 20.

It really is kind of sad.

If Pontiac thinks this is what "cool" is they are pathetic.
    Their new 'youth' attempt reminds me of a 56 year old guy who buys some hair dye and makes his hair and eyebrows pitch black and starts wearing half buttoned rayon shirts. Hey sport- you just look like a dork.
    Just like I thought, I saw one of the green ones ( a really bad green, like the refrigerator we had when I was a kid), driven by a dark haired 45 year old woman. I've seen it three times now.
    That was on the way home from work yesterday. I went someplace yesterday afternoon, I parked my truck, and went in. When I came out, there was a white one, driven by a 30 year old woman with two little kids pulling into the sopt next to it.
    And last, I saw a red one driven by what looked like a 12 year old girl, but I'm hoping she was sixteen.
    I THINK I HAVE FOUND THE MAIN NEST!!! Tell the army, air force, etc...It's Toledo! Oh the humanity!!!Oh god, I am blind, my eyes!!
    "Upper MA near VT/NH border,"

Actually, I am in Central VT, right on the NH border. :)
    Yup.. My local Pontiac dealer still has their original order of 3 different Azteks. And, they too, have moved them from front-and-center to a side position somewhat hidden from main traffic flow.

I'd love to hear the sales figures for the country thus far. Last I heard was 1,400 from the WSJ article two months ago.
    My apologies....sometimes I am geographically challenged :-). As a side note (and not because I'm feeling guilty) I've always wanted to see your part of the country. The closest I've been is NYC...which isn't very close. If I had the time, I would like to make a road trip in my 00' Soobie OB Ltd. Let's see, I could continue my Aztek sighting study as I went along...hmmmmm.
    Ouch! I'm still laughing...my sides hurt! I think Pontiac must have a big red push pin right over Toledo on the demographic map. :-)

Gonzo: Ok, check, no Azteks in Scottsdale, AZ either (dealers not withstanding).
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Atlanta reporting: The only Aztek I've seen thus far was about a month ago on a car hauler on an area interstate. However, I did notice them advertised in last weekend's paper for the 1st time. I don't remember the specifics but I know that the ad mentioned "great deals available" along with a free "lifestyle package" which I took to mean the camping package. If you've absolutely got to have one, then it looks like you should at least be able to get a good deal.

-Frank P.
    None of you people at all are talking about the Aztek you know that. Yeah you can go ahead and make jokes, . But you people can at least try to be informative.
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Actually, I think potential buyers checking this topic would be interested to know the availability/popularity of the Aztek in various parts of the country.

How's this for informative.... I thought the Car & Driver article that sporin refered to actually gave the Aztek a pretty good review. Of course, as he also pointed out, the Forester bested it in every area but one (cargo room). :-)

-Frank P.