Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    Congrats on buying a vehicle you like. You and Triplizard like your vehicles and that's great.
    However, some here take the comments too personally.
    Face it, you need thick skin to drive something like this. If you can't handle anonymous comments from strangers- you have greater issues than too much ribbed plastic.
  • lxownrlxownr Member Posts: 16
    Here is a Idea:

If you did not "Rock and Roll and party all day"
    and maybe work a little more.. So you could afford the BMW X5 ( a REAL SUV ) , the vehicle you really wanted !!

Oh well "Party ON Dude" just do not get into a accident with the Aztek, you might not walk away......
  • 95wrangler95wrangler Member Posts: 17
    (Gonzo7) says: "you need thick skin to drive something like this", "Some people love it and the other 99% hate it"
    (lxownr) says: "do not get into a accident with the Aztek", "use them for target practice",
    You all go on and on and on with your Aztek insults. Why? Everyone knows you don't like it, but you continue spouting your negativity. Please explain why you go on and on. We get it...you don't like it. What is your point with all this redundancy? Do you just like hurting people? Are planning on more repeat insults?
  • koolguy123koolguy123 Member Posts: 37
    I agree with you entirely 95 Wrangler. I can't believe the negativity they show. Life IS WAAAAY to short to be negative and sit behind your computer and say EVERY single day that you hate something. COME ON! You people should know better.
  • koolguy123koolguy123 Member Posts: 37
    Gonzo, Barressa and others. I believe YOU need to get a thicker skin. I just can't believe everyone that likes the Aztek you go and attack. And I am definetely NOT making that up. I've seen it again and again.
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    We (ok, "I"), try not to attack anyone. I will, however, point out incorrect items stated as facts. I am guilty of attacking the vehicle though. I think this is where you are confused Koolguy. Attack the vehicle yes (ok, it has some good points that I've pointed out earlier), the person no! Also, if I correct somebody's (your's?)erroneous info, I am not attacking them.

Anyhow...all this explaining is getting redundant and boring. The fact remains, if you drive a vehicle that has polarizing styling, you need to be okay w/people vehemently disagreeing w/your purchase choice, simple as that! Do you honestly think that Pontiac designed (questionable adjective) the Aztek in a vacuum, not realizing that people would either love or hate the thing? Newsflash: They intended for dialog like that of this site to thrive!

It's been said before and will be said again and again...Many people are attracted to things that are different (not the middle of the road, etc). This doesn't mean that these things aren't guilty of being tacky, too trendy, not a wise investment, etc. Being different for the simple sake of being different is useless (and way too easy)unless that which you are attacted has substance and staying power.

Oh, BTW Koolguy, thanks for all the words of motivation towards a healthy "positive" attitude. Where would I be today w/o your help? (All sarcasm intended).
  • nigelpnigelp Member Posts: 12
    Comparing an Aztek to a BMW is bizarre and shows, in my opinion, a serious disconnection from reality. They are entirely, totally different vehicles. The Aztek drives NOTHING like the BMW (I've driven both now) and doesn't even pretend to be related whatsoever to the BMW X5.

Aztek was responsive? That's your call. But nobody who has ever driven the Aztek (and publised a report in print) has ever called it "responsive". Responsive compared to WHAT?

How often will you ever use the "camping" package? Have you ever actually been camping? For somebody that's been capital-C Camping, everywhere from Minnesota to Central America, calling sleeping in a Pontiac "camping" is a bit of a stretch.

Finally, AGAIN (please try to pay attention): I do not dislike the Asstek just because it's "different". You know, small pox is different and Elle McPherson is different. The first one is a bad kind of different and the second one is good. Different, alone, is neither good nor bad; it's just different. The Aztek may be a good kind of different to you, but the vehicle's sales are abysmal, disastrous even, and resale will therefore suffer. Considering likely resale, that X5 would probably be a better overall investment.
    Compare the Aztek to the Nissan Xterra.
    Both are seemingly targeted to 20-somethings.
    Both use "outdoorsy lifestyle" ads. Both are based on older, unsophisticated platforms.
    Both are priced in the mid to high 20's- out of reach for the market they seem to target.
    Nissan sold about 85,000 X's in it's first year.
    Pontiac will be lucky to hit 20-25% of that amount.

Why? They forgot to look at what they had designed before they made it. Then again, they are GM.
    If you don't like-too bad.-Hertz will.
    Autoweek Magazine asked it's readers why they would need a bullet proof Mercedes.
    One reader suggested it would be good as a backstop to catch all the bullets fired trying to rid the streest of Azteks.
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    There is a great letter to the editor, concerning the Aztek, in the November issue of Car and Driver. Here it is:

"That huge tent cover for the rear of the Pontiac Aztek is pretty nifty. Do they have one that can be used to cover the front end,too?"
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    saw my first Aztek in the Bay Area: red-and-black, with license plate PAPNFUS. The driver seemed to be (it was pretty dark) a young woman.
  • brutherfordbrutherford Member Posts: 18
    I saw one in Houston last Thursday, 10/05/2000. It already had real license plates on it, instead of the new sales paper tags.
    So, someone has bought one in Houston, or either a really bad salesperson is being forced to drive one as a demo for punishment.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I have seen 3 of them on Toronto area highways so far. They sure do attract attention!

As I've said before, they aren't great looking but they are practical for certain lifestyles. If you can live with the looks, it's a pretty neat truck.
  • cleggpcleggp Member Posts: 2
    I can say for a fact the Aztek is a hell of a lot
    more responsive than a Buick LeSabre. A lot more
    nimble, and believe it or not, seems to actually
    have less body roll than the LeSabre!

(I know because I drove a new (< 700 miles)
    LeSabre for the week before I got my Aztek...)

I used to drive an old Chevy van (you know, those
    old 70's style REAL vans), and the Aztek handles
    much better than that beast, too.

Does it handle as well as my little Sunfire GT
    did? No, of course not. But I wouldn't expect
    it to. Apples to oranges.

...Paul

PS: To show I'm not trying to be biased, I found
    this morning that the fastest speed of the Aztek's
    windshield wipers isn't all that impressive; in
    the downpour I got caught in on the way to work,
    the wipers were a little inadequate... Although
    admittedly I haven't seen a downpour like that
    since I last went through a hurricane in Jersey.
    Don't you mean "van" instead of "truck"? :-)
  • saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    I saw one in Dallas the other day. I think they don't look as bad in person. I hear they have separate radio controls in the tailgate, I have to say that is pretty cool. I agree the Aztek is not as pleasing to the eye as some cars, but these are only opinions. Why must everyone bust a gut picking on each other?
  • FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    Speaking of Buick, we were treated to a close-up inspection of the 2002 Rendezvous sport-utility last week. It and the Saturn SUV share the Pontiac Aztek platform, but the Rendezvous, at least, looks much better in person than it does in the photos you've seen. (If you haven't seen the pics, check out the article in our Features section.) Buick officials, btw, deny that their design brief for the Rendezvous was to show a photo of the Aztek to their designers and warn, "Don't let this happen to us!"

And, speaking of the Aztek, it will be our cover car when the October issue is posted later in the week. We have learned, too, that, based on the early reaction, Pontiac designers are hard at work on some emergency restyling. Wouldn't surprise us.

I would suggest that those that like the Aztek's styling keep an eye on this so they can get one before it gets changed.
  • cfg1cfg1 Member Posts: 85
    Both of them?
  • nrd525nrd525 Member Posts: 109
    I wish. I saw THREE on the way home this morning from work. Two were that awful green and the other was black. Then, when I was on the way to the dentist about an hour later, I saw another one, a red one. Then, amazingly, I saw one more on the way back home, a black one with custom aluminum wheels and bigger tires. Looked different anyway, and I don't see how anyone could make one look worse than it does right off the dealer's lot.
    This is MORE evidence that Toledo is the site of the main hive!!Send help!!!

Barry
  • toddster1toddster1 Member Posts: 18
    In case anyone cares, AI-Online.com shows that 1746 Azteks had been sold through Aug. September #'s are not in yet. Not exactly blistering numbers for a new release, but more than I expected.
  • briany2briany2 Member Posts: 4
    Going to media.gm.com and clicking on the Sales link shows that in September 2,009 Azteks were sold, making the total 3,755 units sold.
    Those figures add up to selling about 50% of
    GM's goal.
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    Just for clarification... The new Saturn SUV shares absolutely nothing with the Montana/Aztek/Rondevous vans. The Saturn is an exclusive design using the LS family of engines from Opel and is space-frame with plastic panels.
  • FrankMcFrankMc Member Posts: 228
    Aztek sold 2,009 vehicles in Sept. The Pontiac Firebird, which is widely rumored to being discontinued due to lack to sales sold 2,500 (something 2589 or something) units in Sept. This is a very slow launch.
    I was just quoting Ride & Drive, but they are not the only car magazine that is saying that the Saturn SUV is being built from the Aztek platform. (Naturally it being in print does not make it the truth)

Frank
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    The "emergency restyle" on the ovoid Taurus/Sable took years. I'd be surprised if hit happened before MY2003 (for year three refresh), but you never know...
    I thought ovoid Taurus/Sable was in production 2 years before Ford straighten it out (literally)...
    The overally ovoid Taurus/Sable debuted as a 96' model. They weren't redesigned until the 2000 model year, so it took a good 4 years before the change.

Stephen
  • steverisitysteverisity Member Posts: 39
    Look over there I said to my ride share, it's one of those............"hideous" she said.
    end of topic

spoken on the way to work in Silicon Valley today
  • rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    Yea but it took Ford two years to have realize they had a real problem before starting the reskin. (Seems that wasn't the only problem Ford was slow to recognize...)

So even if GM has already started it will take ~two years to design, test, refit manufacturing processes, coordinate suppliers, etc. Don't see how they can get it done for MY2002, but of course I think one of the reasons for the Aztek appearance vs. Rendezvous is the time crunch Pontiac tried to work with vs. Buick.
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    Is it true that in order to take a test drive in an Aztek you have to show up at the dealer wearing a clown suit?
    ... only then they're convinced you're serious about the car ;-)
    ...reminds me (forgive the imagery) of one of those big, nasty spiders about to lay 80 million eggs. Yuck.

That car is just so stupid. Only Pontiac could have brought this kind humiliation on itself.

Can anybody confirm/deny that the Saturn version will be built on an entirely different platform?
  • topgntopgn Member Posts: 132
    What will be a bigger hit?? The Aztek or Edsel, of course those that buy will probably be former AMC Pacer owners>>>
  • loujoloujo Member Posts: 12
    I have to say that I truly enjoy this forum. After a long and tough day of work, there is nothing better than reading all these humorous postings from both Aztek supporters and haters. The reason I came to this forum was that I had wondered for a long time that who, in his/her right mind, would buy a hideous vehicle like this one. Now don't get me wrong. I know that there are people who really love this car, and that's just fine. But I also see that some are quite offended by the "offensive" remarks others made about Aztek. But come on, as koolguy123 said in one of his post, life is too short, so enjoy it whichever way you can, and I think making fun of Aztek is one of the best stress-relieve remedies there is.

PS. If Aztec only holds 50% of its value in two years, then unless one plans to hold on to this vehicle for the rest of its life, it really does not make much economic sense. Buy a MB ML320, sell in two years, you will still be better off should you do the same with Aztec.

Also, I have spotted only one Aztek on the street of Toronto, driven by a woman. You are right, it is a "chickmobile"
  • loujoloujo Member Posts: 12
    I was going to say "Buy a MB ML320, sell
    in two years, you will still be better off THAN should you do the same with Aztec. "
  • ras5ras5 Member Posts: 8
    I live in Massachusetts and work in Rhode Island. I saw one in Rhode Island, none in Mass as of yet.I will not comment on styling for that is subjective and everyone has his/her own opinion, but it sure is "distinctive". I would be concerned about poor crash test results especially if you are driving with children.
    It was a white one on a dealer's (car, not drug)lot in West Seattle.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    The new Saturn SUV will be built on an extended version of their S series
    car, and not the minivan platform. It is supposed to be about the size of the Rav4,CRV, and the new Ford Escape.
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Actually with a length of 181.6 inches, the Saturn SUV will be about the same length as the BMW X5. This is significantly longer than the CRV, RAV4 or Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute.

AFAIK, the Saturn SUV will be based on the same basic platform as the Aztek/Rendezvous, except that it will incorporate Saturn's space frame design, as well as the dent resistant body panels.

Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Can you quote a source On this information? I have read the same thing as bporter.
    According to Motor Trend, Car and Driver and Autonews.com (as well as saturn/GM) The new saturn suv shares NOTHING with the current Aztek/minivan platform. The platform is all-new and shares engines with the new L-Series sedans. The difference being the 4-cyl models will use a CVT transmission while the V6 will utilize a 5-speed automatic transmission. Also, for clarification, the platform borrows heavily from Saturns next-generation S-series, NOT the current S-series. The size is very much like the current BMW offering as well as the new Chevy TrailBlazer, but will be priced to compete with the likes of the RAV-4, Escape/Tribute, and CR-V. I hope this helps clear up the confusion.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    That's what I thought! :-)
    It's a deluge of actual information! Jmatero for Edmunds hall monitor!!!
    Will the forthcoming Saab SUV be Saturn-based or Asstek-based?
  • topgntopgn Member Posts: 132
    Only on the dealers lot down the street here in south Florida..

Thought, if they do not sell them, maybe we could use them for the artificial reef program in the Miami Area.....
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I have seen a few Azteks in Ft Lauderdale area.
  • beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Hmm, brand-new model and GM already has a 6-month inventory... Better idle that plant! Of course, the whole article was anti-GM, and I'm not sure why they listed vehicles not in production anymore. And here I was thinking Lehman Brothers was a legit consulting firm.

Here are the models with the biggest -- and smallest -- inventory backlog. (days supply as of 10/6/00)
    Model Backlog
    GM (above normal)
    Delta 88 444
    Hummer 400
    Aztek 184
    Bravada 182
    Oldsmobile Aurora 140
    Cadillac Eldorado 123
    Silhouette 123
    Sonoma 120

Source: http://www.msnbc.com/news/475146.asp?cp1=1#BODY
    Anyone see Dark Angel on Fox last night? One of the main characters apparently drives an Aztek, and it actually looked pretty cool. I'm not sure if it was modified in any way, but I thought it looked better than the ones I've seen on the street.
    One of GM's "plans" for saab is the introduction of an SUV to compete with the BMW/Lexus/MB/VW-Porche models. In terms of platform, I think it is important to remember that Saab has built a reputation for FWD vehicles with 4-cyl and turbos. Just recently have 6-cyl's been introduced. I can't see GM using one of their existing platforms for such a vehicle. BUT, remember that Cadillac has a smaller "lexus RX300" on the way. This may be the answer.
    While I wouldn't buy an Aztek my self, I would have only projected sales of around 30k/ year. There is a market for this vehicle, but it's pretty small. Great niche vehicle though.