Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    it seems conservatives can also berate and blanket categorize people
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    This forum exists to discuss the aztek... not to attack people. I find it interesting that certain people here who bought azteks feel the need to attack others who think the vehicle is "ugly". If you buy an aztek, you have to expect such reactions considering its "polarizing" styling. Therefore, it amazes me that a comment like "the aztek is ugly" is countered with "you must be a liberal". That's just plain childish. In fact, the country is pretty much split 50/50 right now liberal/conservative. The funny thing, is, Pontiac planned on selling 75,000 azteks to liberal 20-somethings... that's who their target market is... not 60-something conservatives... in fact, I can't see anyone "conservative" driving an aztek. It is, by far, the most "liberal looking" vehicle on the market. Enough with the politics... if you have an aztek, accept the fact that the majority of people in the market for an activity vehicle (suv/minivan) apparently DON'T LIKE the aztek and have rejected it... this isn't opinion... just go to wards.com and look at the sales... they have sold, to date, fewer than the amount they hoped to sell the first month. That doesn't mean an aztek owner made the wrong choice... if a person plans to run the thing into the ground (not trade it in in 5-7 years) then resale really isn't a factor. If you own an aztek, please tell us what you like/don't like about it so that those considering the vehicle can get an owner's perspective.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    "As for Sporin, why are you being such an
    incorrigable miscreant? Why is it that because we
    have made a choice that you don't agree with, you
    make pitiful attempts at mocking us? I say pitiful
    because no matter how much you try I will still be
    an Aztek owner. My question for you is: Why are you
    here? I mean, you own little foreign cars, don't
    you have a life? I mean can't you find anything
    better to do then to try to make light of other
    people? GROW UP! " -- garthodinson

Wow... touchy touch. So what you're saying is that YOU are one of those people who bought at or near sticker then?

Seriously though... , when I, or others, mock the Aztek, we are mocking the VEHICLE, NOT YOU!!!

To correct your rude post to me...

1. Neither my 11-year old Volvo Wagon or my Passat is a ".. little foreign cars." The Volvo was the safest car on the road in it's day and can haul more stuff then your average SUV, and the Passat is a mid-size, capable of hauling XXL-sized adults in comfort and safetly (top marks from EVERY crash test done).

It's funny, I have't said hardly a word in this forum for months, I made one little joke regarding the abysmal resale value of the Aztek and suddenly I'm an "...incorrigable miscreant.". Trust me... 50% depreciation in 2 years is abysmal, don't believe me?... ask your accountant.

Get over it man, it's just a car, and you are wrapping up a bit too much of your emotions into it.

Enjoy! :-)
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html

Seriously though, I don't think it is the Aztek owners who are attacking those who don't like the way Aztek looks. Aztek haters started first by attacking Aztek owners.

And I am here because I want to see how the crash tests will come out.
  • topgntopgn Member Posts: 132
    WOW thanks for showing me the light..
    You are right, who cares about safety..Hell I get killed in auto accident wifey takes insurance policy...Resale ....what the heck, what good is money anyway..Even if the car is only worth 50%in two years...50% is beter than nothing

Looks...Well I don't care if 90% of Americans do not like the way the Aztek Looks.. Hey they did not like the Pacer...NOW that was a sweet ride..
    Long live the Aztek, Yugo, and AMC Pacer...!!!

Thanks Again....
  • myfunsunmyfunsun Member Posts: 15
    This thing rocks!!! I can't wait until my lease is up on my 2000 Sunfire so that I can get one!! I test drove one today...what a rock solid suv..this is perhaps one of gms best designed cars on the road..If people would just get past the styling and give it a test drive gm would sell 1000's of them.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    They have sold 1000's, I think they want to sell 10s of 1000s of them. ;-)

The Aztek is a pretty neat vehicle, I just think they need to make it a little less edgy before I'll but one.
    buy one that is..
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    dindak- Freudian slip perhaps?
  • bigdriverbigdriver Member Posts: 1
    I bought my Aztek because I was tired of driving what everyone else was driving. I know the design is a bit bizarre but I like it. The designs today are so copycat that its so hard to tell what is what anymore. I also bought the Aztek because of its functionality, great gas mileage, and its the most comfortable vehicle I ever owned. I have owned alot of vehicles from Audis to Cadillacs.
    As far as resale value is concerned, ask any financial advisor and they will tell you that most automobiles are a horrible investment. They are just designed to get ourseleves and whatever cargo to point A to B in whatever comfort level we desire.
    I would never lambaste anyone by what type of vehicle they drive, we are a country of individuals and should have respect for each others taste in whatever it may be.
  • greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    Maybe now you understand that not everyone has the same thoughts and priorities as you. Thats what makes each of us individuals.

Next time you want to argue a point, try gathering facts, presenting them in a mature and non-combative way and keep in mind that you are appealing to a broad and diverse group, not topgun clones.

And on another topc....

Notice how the NHSTA tests show that the Aztek is indeed not a deathtrap, now all the naysayers say "well that doesn't really count - wait till the offset tests come"

Still the NHSTA tests show:

***** front impact
    **** front side impact
    *** rear side impact
  • 95wrangler95wrangler Member Posts: 17
    How many vehicles would hit the streets if, say, they become part of a rental fleet? YES - just added to AVIS!!!!!!! Don't know about Thrifty or Alamo yet...just saw 4 on the Avis lot next door... $43/day. I'm taking one for the weekend, 6:00 Fri to 6:00 Sun. The ultimate test drive!
  • beatfarmerbeatfarmer Member Posts: 244
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1717.html

Front crash test data not posted yet.
    Five more people who like the Aztek..
    That's makes 40 across the USA..
    Oh and being added to Avis Fleets.. that's the death move to resale and now they will be sold below invoice...

Aztek, Pacer, Yugo, Pet Rock all in the same family....
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Member Posts: 259
    That's why you don't see rental Hondas-
    Once a car has a "rental" stigma, It's resale value will plummet.-What's a used Taurus worth?

Look back about 500 posts you'll see where I mentioned that GM will soon give up on retail sales and flood the rental market with them to keep the assembly lines from going idle.

To those who are trying to convince themselves that resale doesn't matter- The added deprecation of a marketplace lemon is the same as overpaying at purchase time. $ lost is $ lost.
  • garthodinsongarthodinson Member Posts: 37
    I would like to apologize for getting so cranky and refering to those few who seem to want to tell me what I need to do, etc, by calling them butt nuggets. I guess I was a little ticked and so yes, you may or may not be butt nuggets, but I don't agree with you.

For those of you who are owners and want a forum to discuss your vehicle and or ideas about same-

Please contact me at aztek@therightwing.com and I will add you to the list.

Joe
    To topgun:

You really are an interesting indivdidual. You own foreign autos. You, as most liberals do, want people to do what you say, simply because you think you know better. Then, again as most liberals do, you mock, demonize and belittle those who don't agree with you.

I once again reiterate, why are you here? Did they throw you out of the beamer group? Did you get mad, throw a tantrum and take your ball and go home?
    You are also an interesting specimen. You own a Borgward Rapid 130!?!?!??!? What in the H-E-double toothpicks are you doing here?

I commend you on the vehicle if, in fact, you have a nice one. I have only seen 2 of them in my life and both were in a junkyard where I was searching for parts for one of my RX-7s.

So I ask you as well as Buttgun and Neosporin, Does it make you feel better when you try to put people down? Didn't your parents love you enough?

Your (collective) inability to understand the simple concept that to some people, resale value does not matter, is astounding. Let me try to put this a little bit simpler so you can understand -

I buy car!
    I like car!
    I like car very much!
    Car I buy, my car!
    I Happy with my car!
    You don't like my car? You no drive my car!
    You don't like my car? You no buy one like it!
    I so happy with my car, I keep forever!
    I keep forever, mean I never sell my car, this means that it never becomes someone else's car so I keep my car!

If not okay with you - tough!

TTFN
    Garth, Let me guess, were you one of those kids that got picked on a lot growing up..
    Enjoy your MINIVAN, please do not dirty the S.U.V. label. YOur Asstek is not in the same family as, Toyota Landcruisers, Range Rover, 4Runner's, Tahoe's, even Grand Cherokee's..

So I am glad you like your piece of shi_...~~
  • ls1v8ls1v8 Member Posts: 34
    There is a village looking for thier idiot. Please contact them... they need you back.
    There you go again. When you have nothing to say, you resort to things that you feel might just hurt the person that makes you feel inadequate.

Who ever said that the Aztek was an SUV? First, Pontiac knew that it wasn't an SUV, so they decided to use SRV. They knew that the majority of people who have SUVs don't ever use them off road. SO they came up with something inbetween.

And as for people picking on me, nah. If anyone was the picked on, pencil neck, dweeb it was more likely the person amongst us that has to make himself feel superior to others by bragging. Bragging about what a big man he is because he drives his clients around in his B-M-W.

When in reality he is pond scum.
    Did I say pond scum, oops, sorry! That would be an insult to marine life as we know it.
    Let ME guess, you were one of those kids that liked to kick sand in other kids eyes just for gags. Why are you still here?? Go to the BMW forum and pat yourself on the back there. People here want to talk/ learn more about Azteks, not listen to you putting down everything said and everyone who might like the vehicle.
  • ls1v8ls1v8 Member Posts: 34
    Of an old social phenomenon. An educated idiot. No one really pays any attention to the idiot except as a curiosity. Much like teat on a boar, he and his comments serve no useful purpose
  • kelmosheakelmoshea Member Posts: 11
    Get over it! I just read the last 20 responses and it looks like your losing. Now will you just shut up and go back to your BMW group. You are not wanted here. I own an Aztek and a freind of mine just saw it and guess what?? She is going to buy one. Yes it looks different but that is what I like about it and it looks like others here feel the same.
  • xmf314xmf314 Member Posts: 154
    Hey people, I respectfully suggest everybody knocks off the fighting and name calling. That's not the purpose of these message boards. In my opinion, the Aztek is an absurdly styled vehicle, and I have posted a few jokes about it, but it's sure not worth personally insulting others about. If someone buys one and likes it, so be it.
    Greywolf... this is the SECOND TIME you have posted that the Azek got a "5-star frontal crash rating" from the NHTSA. For all of you reading, this IS NOT TRUE. The vehicle has NOT been frontal crash-tested yet by NHSTA... they plan on doing that this month. Based on its twins the Pontiac Montana/Opel Sintra, there is a LOW PROBABILITY of it earning 5-stars, although we will all have to wait and see. Please refrain from posting information that is inaccurate. Again, the Pontiac Aztek HAS NOT BEEN FRONTAL CRASH-TESTED but will be this month. I also suggest anyone concerned with this vehicles safety to await the Insurance institute's off-set frontal crash tests which should appear in the new year.
  • tscott6tscott6 Member Posts: 1
    When I needed a car last July I read the info on Aztec, drove 3 and bought 1. Continue to read evaluations and think you have a different SRV. Mine is top of the line in all respects from handling to workmanship and everyday use. Best breaking and steady handling of anything I have driven. No rattles, good paint, little wind noise, hauls my "junk"> It is quick, tight turning, stable at any speed I have chosen and IS FUN TO DRIVE.
    If you have one and like it- good for you.
    Some are a little sensitive, the Aztek ain't for you.
    If you get so bent up about people's comments, you'll need years of therapy should you actually buy one.

Face it, most people think the Aztek is absurd.
    If that doesn't matter- good for you.

If you get freaked hearing what other people think-buy something else.
    Page #34

BEAUTIFUL CARS SELL, UGLY CARS DIE......!!!!

ENOUGH SAID...GO BUSH.
  • kelmosheakelmoshea Member Posts: 11
    I also have an Aztek GT and I love it. It handles great and drives smoothly.
    Topgn get over it!! My car is not ugly it is unique. We just have a difference of opinions. Get in your BMW and get outta here!!
    By the way way garth was right you are a butt nugget!!
    Wow you Aztek owner's are sure a sensative bunch...Oh and Kelm you are a real tough guy
    "Get in your BMW and get outta here" my knee's are just a shaking....

Facts:
    1. Motor Trend call's it UGLY..
    2. Our Precious Edmund's call's it "Pumba the talking pig"
    3.Automobile calls the Aztek "Polarizing Looks"

Again in the South Florida are they are selling at invoice. While even the Hyundai Santa Fe is selling at MSRP, and they cannot keep Santa Fe's on the lots..

So for all you sensative Aztek owner's let's review the facts..

1. GM has not even come close in it's target it wanted to sell.
    2. SAFETY: It's based on the GM MINIVAN platform that came in DEAD last..
    3. RESALE: I believe Avis now has them in the rental fleet (GM's last ditch effort to pump of the volume) this is the death blow to resale.
    4. Just about every Auto magazine has either called the Aztek BUTT UGLY or Polarizing looks .

Again in conclusion if you can come up with some FACTS to dispute these statements, bring it on !!!! Otherwise quit the name calling or come down to Florida and tell me to my face what a punk I am ..
    This is what makes America Great..
    Some people make right decisions , some make wrong
    that's why we have great cars and SUV's like:
    BMW, Toyota Landcruiser, American Trucks, COrvette, Mercedes Benz, Lexus, even the new Hyundai is a hit with All wheel drive and v6 plus leather for only $23,000.

Then when have other's making WRONG decisions when buying cars like, AMC Pacer, Yugo, Cadillac
    Cimmeron, and the Champ... Aztek. Like the previous AMC pacer folks who stated to me " hey I like the Pacer it's not like any other car" sounds a lot like the Aztek owner's...
    I guess I find it extremely funny that anyone would buy these hideous
    as I was saying "hideous looking vehicle"...
    In fact I find NO ONE in the Tampa Bay Area who admit's likes the looks of the Aztek..
    I wonder what type of person would buy this MINIVAN...

The type that...
    1. See's UFO's
    2. Voted for Al Gore
    3. The tooth fairy still comes at 40/??
    4. Is sad that Hee Haw is not on TV

Oh well life has it's mystery's

GO BUSH>>>>>>
    You really do need to get a hobby other than bash people and their cars. Why is it you are here again?? You never do answer that question.
    I still find it terribly ironic and sad that I made one little crack in about 300 posts yet have managed to draw your full ire. Whatever... you "win" I have never bashed the people who drive Azteks, and I'm not going to start now.

"Neosporin"... that just get's funnier everytime I read that...
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Got my first close-up look at an Aztek this weekend when I saw one displayed in the local mall. They really are every bit as "polarizing" up close as they are in the car mag photos. Still yet to see one on the road.

-Frank P.
    Brother, enough already. If you happen to like the looks of the Aztek, it doesn't mean you're "wrong". To each his own. My father looks at my white passat and says "I don't know why anyone would buy a white car! That's stupid!". I love it though. Whether you like the aztek or not, we ALL can agree the styling is "polarizing" to say the least. BUT, there seem to be a few people here who feel the need to tell us OVER and OVER and OVER again that they think it is ugly and a "GM Blunder". Fine, we heard you the first (and in some cases, the 101st) time... thank you and good-night. Is it a failure? Well, the sales figures definately support that conclusion. This is fact. BUT, I'M SURE that within 12 months, the tail of the aztek (at the very least) will be restyled/redesigned and sales will improve. There are definately some good things going on here. There have been NO RECALLS to date (unlike some other new vehicles on the road). In fact, not ONE registered owner of an Aztek has filed a complaint with the NHTSA about their vehicle. NOT ONE. Look up owner complaints on the BMW and Mercedes SUVs... there are many. In fact, the M5 has received numerous complaint of air bags going off without warning. The Mercedes ML series has some nasty transmission problems. GM should definately get some credit for this. Aztek owners are definately happy with their cars so far. Unfortunately, there are problems as well. We are still waiting for front/offset crash test results. In any event, if you want to trash the aztek, go to www.nhtsa.gov and look up your car first... check out customer complaints, TSB, defect investigations, recalls. Then, before you trash the aztek, keep in mind that the aztek has zero of each so far. Look up that BMW 5-series and that 300M... look up that Ford escape and that Mercedes E-class... Look up your Lexus RX300... You'll be shocked, believe me. I don't like the Aztek. It's not something I would ever consider buying. Yes, I even think it might be ugly, there I said it... BUT lets give credit where credit is due.
    This has become a huge mess, and no one is actually "lisenting" to everything being said. There are a lot of knee-jerk reactions and grouping of people with gross and unfair generalizations.

I have never said the thing didn't perform well or wasn't built well, just that I find the styling to be, well... hideous. This is only my personal opinion about the vehicle!!!

So to you ALL, please be clear that I have NEVER bashed the PEOPLE that buy Azteks, it is the CAR that bugs me, not the people. So, if I have offended anyone here, please accept my apology.

I'll go back to lurking... it's safer. :-)
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    Nov. Sales from GM (don't yell at me)
    2,277 YTD 8,958
  • publius24publius24 Member Posts: 4
    I have read the previous posts from this Tampa Bay resident, and can't help but wonder about this guy/gal. Shouldn't he be out voting more than once for president? Or at least for more than one candidate?

I mean, the AMC Pacer was, and is, a great car. And I bought a Gremlin 3 years ago, keep gas in it, tires on it, and turn the key. (No, I didn't loose a bet.)

Day after Thanksgiving at the mall, would you rather have 1.) Aztek, 2.) Pacer, 3.) Any of the cookie cutter minivans currently being made. If I had an Aztek, I would find my car right away and, assuming I could get past the hordes of people pointing at me and shaking their heads, I'd be on my way home.

But seriously, my big beef on the aztek was the teeny tiny wheels and lack of any true off-road ground clearance. I would have lived with the looks for the versatility if it had a little more height. (I know, it is not a suv, but a srv, but comeon, my first bike had bigger tires.) I could do better off road in an Escort wagon.
    What does Al Gore and Aztek have in common...

Next Year they will both be out of a job...!!
  • 95wrangler95wrangler Member Posts: 17
    (topgn)"Oh and being added to Avis Fleets.. that's the death move to resale and now they will be sold below invoice..."
    (gonzo7)"That's why you don't see rental Hondas-
    Once a car has a "rental" stigma, It's resale
    value will plummet.-What's a used Taurus worth?"

topgn & gonzo7 both agree...the PT Cruiser is also a looser since I just saw PT's on a TV commercial as being added to the Thrifty rental fleet...a death blow according to gonzo7 & topgn!
    Again, not answer as to why you are here other than to put people down? My guess is you 15 and live in your parents basement.
  • sjgladwinsjgladwin Member Posts: 24
    So is the missing rear wiper a GM cost cutting measure or is the aerodynamics of this thing allow the rain to be blown off of the rear window? Just wondering.
    Too funny!!
    I, too was going to make a comment about "wrangler's" juvenile comments but he isn't worth responding to.
    I SERIOUSLY doubt the PT Cruiser is going to enter the rental market in quantity. There are not enough available for public sale. Even if a few were, the deathnail is not that they are "rentable"... it's when HUGE quantities of a car are sold to rental companies. (GrandAm, Cavillier, Sunfire, etc.) Wrangler, the majority of people out there think you car is ugly. That should not be taken by you as an insult... you should be proud of the fact that you are an individual and that you won't be swayed into buying something because the masses like it. You bought something that fit your needs. Think of yourself as part of a club... you're one of only about 8,000 members.... sounds exclusive to me!
    Why did Pontiac decide to use the wheels taken from the Grand Ma? This thing definitely would be more in proportion with say 17's IMO. Do they make a spoiler / wing for IT? Also is there a lock on the fill cap? Just wondering.
    Perhaps the gang in the Pntiac Grand Am forum can answer those questions for you.

:-)
    Aren't those the same hubcaps on the Aztec base that are on the Grand Ma SE? Aren't those the same rims on the Aztec GT that are on the Grand Ma GT? Hell even the body cladding looks the same (doors) Do the wheels still have the imprint "ABS" or do they now say "SRV"?