Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    rickrover, buy the Eurovan..... Just think, in 10 yrs you will have one of the coolest (resalable) vans around. I'm not sure that an Aztek will be around 2 or 3 yrs. GM will do everything they can to "gussie it up" and then drop it. The VW Eurovan, on the other hand, should be a good performer and handle the abuse you plan on giving it. I vote for the VW. My second car purchase in 1978 (at 20 yrs old) was a 1973 VW bus with an automatic. It was Bright medium blue with white top. I wish I still owned it.

Mark
  • Great car or whatever. Had mine for three weeks already 5500 miles on it. Very comfy. I get a new vehicle every two years as I drive a lot (50,000+ per year). Have had 2 explorers, a Grand Cherokee and most recently a Durango. It is much nicer riding than any of these. Gas will be much better too. I have the AWD version. I am not crazy about the cladding but I was thinking of painting it black like the rest of the body. Might do it in the spring. Just seen picture of Pace car--it will help out tremoundously. Who did Pontiac pay offf!!
  • jcandorjcandor Posts: 19
    Somebody, anybody, please tell me what in God's name JD Power knows about engines. I assume you mean that that particular engine receives high ratings from owners. That seems about right, since many of the Aztek fans here consider only GM or domestic cars. I'd bet a dollar most have never driven a Honda more than a few miles.

Anyway, this argument is so adolescent. There's a reason Accord outsells Intrigues by, say, 3 or 4 to 1. There's a reason it's on Car & Driver's 10 Best list virtually every year. There's a reason it holds its value better than any GM car ever built. The reason, which is beyond your ability to identify, is that more people consider it a better car. Myself, the entire automotive press, and the majority of US consumers included.

Another sign that the Accord is better than the Intrigue is that Honda is racking up profits, and Olds is being...now, what did I just read?...oh yeah, it's being SHUT DOWN. Hmmm, now why could that be? Big mystery, eh?
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    The '10 best engines in the world' award is given by Wards Automotive a very respectable publication in the automotive industry. On these yearly awards I don't even recall seeing, for once, the I-4 or V6 engines currently offered in the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry sedans. Many other engines have made it to this prestigious award including the 3.0L V6 from Nissan, GM's 3800 V6, GM's Northstar engine family (Including the Intrigue's 3.5L DOHC engine), Ford's 4.6L V8, Volkswagen's 1.8 TDI Diesel powerplant, etc.

Jacandor::: Keep up the humorous postings. The only thing I am going to tell you Mr.Smart Cookie, is that with each GM bashing posting coming from your fingers, your credibility is eroding quickly and by the minute; however, you have become an invaluable object of constant amusement and without a doubt, your presence here makes this whole forum both Ironic and controversial at the same time.

Keep it up!
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Owned an Accord for 5 years. Not bad, but it was a rust bucket and wouldn't start when it was below -10C. New ones are the dullest tin cans on the road next to the Camry. Obviously the best cars are the ones that sell the most and look the dullest right?

Whatever... keep on bashing bud.

teo : You are right.. it is Ward's not JD Power. I always mix them up for some reason.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    i don't think i can come close to defending jcandor on this forum, he is quite capable to do this himself. but this forum is about the Aztek isn't it ? why should it become "jcandor_vs_GM". GM, like any car manufacturer, has its (large) share of poor quality cars. Whether the Accord is actually a "better" car than the Intrigue can easily become superficial. Owners of these cars can judge best. However, evidence on the street shows that the Honda do outsell the Intrigue, has better resale value, is far more popular, and unless most of the buying public are stupid, it can be described as a "better-buy" for all of the above. Did anyone read the latest NHTSC report on rollovers ? Guess where the Accord rated ? 'Nuff said...

btw, if GM is that smart, the Oldsmobile line has been a steady, albeit not fancy, producer of very capable cars. The demographics have tilted towards the fairly elderly (50+), but with the performance-inclined cars like the Aurora and Intrigue, these have the capability of attracting younger buyers... but alas, the axe has fallen on this line of cars. who would be next, Buick ? Saturn ? or Pontiac ?

My bet will be on the Pontias, if for nothing else, but to cover their embarrassment for producing the "concept" car - AZTEK - the single, most ugly vehicle ever, imo.... But, I'd wager GM would rather eliminate the successful Buick than the lagard Pontiac... just my opinion
    "unless most of the buying public are stupid, it can be described as a "better-buy" for all of the above".

The buying public generally doesn't know what an Intrigue is. Further, the general public are not car enthusiasts, they just buy whatever is well rated and their co-worker tells them to. Accord may have better resale and roll over tests, but it's far from a better car. Just ask my neighbor who had to replace the transmission on his 99 Accord, he will tell you how much he loves his car.

Let's get back to the Aztek...
  • jmaterojmatero Posts: 253
    Here's the deal... Buicks are purchased by people over the age of 50. In fact, there is no other American brand that sells more cars to the 50-60+ crowd and Buick sells THOUSANDS of cars each and every year. Pontiac has sold (traditionally) to mainly young buyers. EVERY attempt Buick has made in the past decade to sell to a younger crowd has failed and Buick is betting the farm on the Rondevous... hoping to get younger (40-ish) lexus buyers over to their side. Even if it fails, however, Buick sells cars, period. They're not going anywhere. Pontiac has had similar problems. They have tried to bring in the older BMW/Audi crowd for years but always fail. Take the current Bonneville. I understand why this car has been discontinued after next year. Pontiac claims their cars have "european styling and handling". WRONG. I have yet to see... or have ever seen... a european car that looks REMOTELY like anything in Pontiac's current product line. NOBODY looking at a 5-series BMW or Audi A6 would cross-shop Pontiac... it doesn't happen. If there is ANY other GM division that is in trouble, it's Pontiac. The aztek just isn't working. Bye-Bye. They're losing their full-sized car (Bonneville), and look at what's left... The Grand-prix sales have been falling off big time (not because it's a bad car, but because it's been out now for years and has NEVER seen a styling update inside or out). The Grand-am is a big seller, but even GM admits its biggest customers are rental car companies. Ditto for the sunbird. Now, Pontiac does have a new generation small car and the Vibe coming in the next few years and some would suggest they will breathe life into the mark. BUT.. let's remember.. Oldsmobile is now dead, yet they still introduced the new Aurora and in a few months will introduce a brand-new Bravada that is World-class by all accounts. I think Pontiac is closer to the chopping block than Buick.
  • I have seen probably 3 of the new Bonne's where I live (MA). And I hardly ever even see the previous generation (except on sales lots). I actually saw 2 Aztecs this weekend (slate grey paint, darker grey cladding). My wife had never seen one in person before and as soon as this one passed us on the highway (clipping right along at 90) she burst out laughing. Does Pontiac even make the Sunfire anymore? The only Pontiacs I see are Grand Prix's driven by 17 year olds who spend more on the stereo's than the actual car, Grand MA's, and the occasional Bird. It seems that the Grand MA is really the only thing keeping Pontiac alive (at least in my area). Grand Prix's are kind of popular, but to every one I see, I see 5 Tauruses!!! Pontiac just doesn't seem to be competitive around these parts, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were the last to go.
  • THey won't be the last.
    Look, I've never owned an Intrigue but I have owned 4 accords. Going on hard facts (consumer reports repair records... data supplied by registered owners) the Intrigue has a MUCH HIGHER repair rate/problem rating than the accord. I'm sure everyone with an Intrigue can point to an accord owner with a bum tranny or other problems but I go on fact. According to the NHTSA the Intrigue has had 6 recalls since 1998... 2 in the year 2000 alone. And one already THIS year. The Accord, 2 since 1997. But more importantly, The federal government currently has 5 defect investigations going on involving the Intrigue (mainly involving seat belt and wiper failures). The accord has 0. Not to mention the 354 official owner complaints to the Federal Government. See www.nhtsa.gov for details. I'm not trying to "put down" the oldsmobile, but again, I'm going on hard facts here. The most compelling reason for me is the safety comparison. The Honda gets 4 stars for both driver and front passenger and 4 star front/5 star rear side impact ratings. The intrigue gets 4 for the driver but only 2 for front passenger while the front side rating is 3 and the rear is only 1. That being the case, I don't have to tell you which car I want my kids in the back seat of when some joker runs a red light. The Insurance off-set crash ratings are also better for the accord, but they rate the Intrigue as "average" (better than the Fed Gov't rating). A number on here have mentioned how important side impact protection is and have pointed to the Aztek's good NHTSA side-impact ratings. This same test produced a 1-star rating for the rear-side passengers of the 2000 Olds Intrigue... reason enough for me to steer clear. Just my 2-cents.
    I seriously doubt it. Actually Pontiac is due to receive at least 3 new models that will be aimed at improving the division's image and a welcome departure from the excessive plastic cladding, The Batmobile theme and the Aztek failure...

* The 2002 Pontiac Vibe Sports wagon

* The 2003 Opel Speedster (Set to replace the Firebird and TransAM F-body coupes).

See it here: www.opel.com

* The all new 2003 Pontiac Grand Prix that will be the first model to be built on GM's new global platform 'Mid-Lux'...expect DOHC and supercharged V6 engines, 6-speed manual transmissions and RWD.

Sorry Pontiac (and GM detractors) your dreams will not become reality. Keep on wishing!

Gm going out of business? That's yet to be seen folks. Reality check: The first ones I see going under the tube are Daimler-Chrysler with their failed 'marriage' take over attempt by the German corporation. Chrysler has a very stale product mix (Except the PT Cruiser that they can't seem to built enough of to keep up with demand), terrible quality and reliability (Well behind Ford and GM), poor resale value (Ask how many dealers would love to keep a stock of used LH sedans)and finances well into the red (This means much needed new product introduction delays and lower quality)and let's not even get into the financial woes of DCX as stated here on this fresh article:

http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories/dcxlate129.htm

Ford? If they don't get their act together they'll soon see themselves going the route of DCX. The Exploder/Firestone fiasco has been FAR REACH DAMAGING to the already bad reputation of Ford Motor Company. Quality job NUMERO UNO? What a joke! Recent Ford products (Focus/Escape/Tribute) have had a plethora of recalls and serious quality control problems more than any other 'domestic' product in the market. Hey Jcandor, did you know that your beloved Ford Focus has a recall of 300,000 units because the rear wheel assemblies can fall off while driving at highway speeds???? or have you read about one of the zillion Escape/Tribute recalls that state that the steering wheel can suddenly fall off in your hands? Great build quality at FORD? Common people, stop fouling yourselves!!!!

Read all about Ford woes at www.blueovalnews.com

Gm has also royally SCREWED UP with the Aztek, but given the current situation of DCX and FoMoCo, I think GM has much better odds of pulling ahead while DCX and Ford battle their own internal quality control problems, Financial scandals and tarnished reputations.

ENOUGH SAID!!!!

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Folks, there are at least a couple of topics over in News & Views where GM is being discussed. If you haven't seen them, you might be very interested in joining them.

Let's try to just stick to the Aztek in this one.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    SUV Message Board
    Sounds good to me. This topic is way off course. I guess Aztek really brings out the worst in GM bashers. It's too bad this discussion isn't more civil and Aztek related.

Just saw that Rendezvous production will be doubled to offset poor Aztek sales. Probably a good move as Aztek (at least in current form), won't sell much more than 30K units in a year.
  • gmdronegmdrone Posts: 78
    All I can say is that GM has survived a number of screw-ups, notably the Vega, Shovette, Flea arrow, Allante, etc. I also know from my SSP account, that it hasn't hurt my net worth too terribly much either. The Aztec will survive to sell again, despite it's bizarre looks, and the Rendevous may or may not take up the slack at Ramos. Eventually all of you Honda and Toyota lovers will return to your own message boards to sing praise to your sewing machine "god", and you are welcome to them! I really don't think that The RAVs or CRVs are all that to look at either, until the Aztec came along, I thought THEY were ugly. You guys make my day, every day, at work. My fellow employees enjoy your amusing chatter almost as much as we enjoy the senseless directives from our MANAGEMENT! Don't worry, we will continue to build the best that we can, as long as Styling doesn't go to far overboard. As far as being arrogant, just take a look at the great Daimler-Chrysler "merger", and see what happens when a power crazy CEO tries to take over an American tradition. I can hardly wait to see what happens when the boys at the UAofW realize that Deutsche Bank wants to liquidate their plant., Who are they gonna sell 'em to, the Japanese, or maybe the defunct Koreans? Hope that you all have your retirement savings in kruggerands, 'cause if you don't, I feel sorry for you. Ah well, just some mindless musings on Monday to stir you'all up, you know what I mean?
  • The big three reputations are always juggled around. None of them are consistant. That's why I can't understand the reasoning behind cross-shopping Domestics with imports, when it clearly shows that you are less likely (not completely unlikely) to buy a lemon or recall-prone import than a FMC,GMC,DMC.

I will back up the consistancy of the 3800, the 5.0 and 5.7 Chevy motors and the 4.9 Ford and the Diesels from Ford and Dodge. They seem to be reliable, bulletproof (if somewhat archaic) and low upkeep powerplants.

I will also note the consistant junk coming in the form of the 3.8 Ford. Hey, they're pretty consistant!!!
    There are discussions in New & Views where these kinds of conversations will fit.

This discussion is for people who want to talk about the Aztek.

Please get back on topic.

Pat
    Host
    SUV Message Board
    I think if you want to keep the conversation flow geared towards the Aztek, you are going to be forced to ban some of the GM bashers and other 'Smart Cookies' that provide very little contribution to this topic.

Face it, the Aztek is and will always be an emotionally charged and heated topic.

may be even better, freeze this topic and ban anyone from talking about the Aztek in Edmunds.
    What I will be doing is deleting off-topic posts from here on.

teo, do you have anything to contribute to a discussion on the Aztec? That would be the best way to get this conversation going in the right direction.

Pat
    Host
    SUV Message Board
    I love the portable cooler in the Aztek....anyone cares to add?
    Mmmmm.. cold beer in an Aztek sounds good.

;-)
    Which one the Aztek's cooler cools down better? ;-)

(Hey Pat just kidding, we need some Monday humor)
  • SporinSporin Posts: 1,066
    Oh I like that too! :-)

My Mom got one of those for her new Xterra. It plugs into the 12v outlet and can either "warm" or "cool" what's inside. Great for going to pot-luck dinners or long car trips.

The one thing that Aztek likers that I personally know seem to ALL think is the bee's knees is the camping package. Seriously, I've had people tell me they would buy the Aztek JUST for that. I usually point out that the aftermarket has been making SUV & pick-up "pop-up" tents for many years and for many models.

How's that for ON-TOPIC?
    A 110 Volt outlet as the Pontiac Vibe does???

(Let see how much longer this topic will last without the intervention of the GM bashers)
    That tent isn't enough to sell a vehicle...

In 1984, chrysler made the same tent package for the new Voyager/Caravan and discontinued it the following year. The feedback at the time suggested that when a family went camping, they also needed their vehicle available and having the tent attached to the car required disassembly each time they wanted to leave the campgrounds. The other big reason that was mentioned was security-related. People claimed that when they camped, their cars were used for "secure items" because they could be locked and with a "built-in" tent erected, anyone could unzip their way right into the car (perhaps, even stealing the car). It looks interesting on paper, but in actuality it doesn't work.
  • milt721milt721 Posts: 74
    Well, it's official. While saying Aztek is not selling well due to its high price, GM is planning to "soften" the Aztek's exterior design. My questions: 1) If the slow sales are due to price, why don't they leave the exterior design alone and just lower the price? 2) Why lie about it?
    Don't know about your area, but around here an Aztek and a Montana (short wheel base) are going for about the same price. Not sure about what incentives have been placed on the advertised prices though.
  • oac3oac3 Posts: 373
    oh yes, a strange thing happened earlier today. i was on 405 going to Santa Monica (SoCal for those who may not be familiar) and while on the HOV lane doing "reasonable" speed :-) a glance in my rear mirror showed a fast advancing Aztek. The driver must be doing at least 90. He drove so close to me I thought he was going to kick my rear ***... Of course, with my unabashed disdain for this vehicle, I found it very ironic indeed ! Here I am, a noted hater of the Aztek, and the vehicle is tail-gaiting me and there is very little I could do. It just made me hate it even more so.... The bone-head driver literarily had to change lane with a stern look at me for daring to slow him down.

On the flip side, that Aztek vehicle sure moves fast for a bulbous mass of ugly plasticia... So, there you go, for all lovers of this vehicle, I finally found something good to say about the AZTEK !

I am still on topic right, Pat ?
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Posts: 259
    That's why this sales flop and visual abomination got spawned in the first place. The opressive culture within GM allowed this creation to be produced. No one had the fortitude to say:

"WAIT- Nice idea but... JUST LOOK AT THAT THING !"

If someone had the nerve to say that it would have saved GM much embarassment and millions of dollars.

I do like the tent idea but only if it was large enough to cover the whole Aztek and could be left in place when operating the vehicle.
    I have deleted several posts that were off-topic and a couple that were argumentative.

Pat
    Host
    SUV Message Board