Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Aztek

Comments

• kermitekkermitek Member Posts: 120
    I've been wondering about this since we need to get a hitch for our bikes too. I had a Hidden Hitch on the 97 GTP I had before, and it worked great. Have you seen pictures of the internal bike rack from GM for the Aztek? That's another item I'm interested in.

I was looking at our Aztek today thinking about noastar's comments... and what I like about the Aztek styling. Here's a few specifics:

1. I like the tall front fenders. They remind me of the K5 Blazer I had in the past. The significant wheelhouse clearance is nothing new to 4X4 owners, since it makes room for more suspension articulation when off-road.

2. Turn signals are prominent and visible from a large variety of viewing angles, an active safety feature. Incredibly, the side lights on my 99 Formula's fenders do not blink with the turn signals, a safety detriment when merging on the freeway.

3. There are many small touches apparent in the Aztek's styling, largely ignored by people only giving it a superficial glance. These include chrome-plated brake calipers, a hood free of washer nozzles, integrated windshield radio antenna and neutral-colored lower cladding. Dirt is very hard to see on the cladding, making the vehicle appear clean longer between washes. noastar was kind when discussing cladding - he could have also mentioned more hyper-clad wonders like the Isuzu VehiCROSS, Mitsubishi Montero and the Hyundai Santa Fe. The point being, these panels are quite common today for a reason - they offer superior gravel and road spray resistance and add a distinctive identity to a vehicle.

4. As for the rear end - If the Aztek were a simple minivan, it's styling would still compare favorably to the traditional "Wish-I-Was-a-Refrigerator" rear ends on virtually every minivan out there today.

5. My wife said the other day she likes her Aztek since it reminds her of a Jeep. I think it does have some elements of a Jeep Wrangler - outdoorsy, large wheelhouses for full suspension travel, and kind of a "short" look compared to for example a Montana short-wheelbase minivan. The Aztek is in fact several inches shorter than the Montana. It feels agile on the road, and fits better in our garage than the S10 Blazer it replaced.

www.mwshowgo.com/kermit/index.htm
  • mykem1mykem1 Member Posts: 29
    OK gang, a buddy at work has an Aztek, and just reported on his first venture. It went VERY well. Heard some folks complain about the tent package leaking, but he had no such problem. I need to add that it POURED this weekend here with very strong winds, and still no leaks.

I don't have this option, and probably wouldn't use it if I did (I have a much bigger, roomier tent for me and the kids), but I thought I would share the fact that the unit does do well when properly installed. This guy is a fellow computer geek like me, so he probably read the instructions thoroughly.

Mine now has 9K miles and is getting between 26 and 28 MPG on the highway. 18.7 to 20.5 MPG in town. Got my first looks this weekend taking the kids to the state park (where my in-laws "camped" with them in their 400ft Winnebago with power flare out living rooms, master bedroom, satellite dish, anti-aircraft guns, helipad, and the rest of that fluff stuff). No one laughed, but a couple people about broke their necks doing double takes.

The thing doesn't look so ugly to me anymore, and I am really enjoying driving it (wondering if that has anything to do with all the toys). Build quality seems higher than my 97 Montana (no squeaks, rattles, or shaking glass).

Still have yet to read bad press. I keep hearing "dated powerplant" and "underpowered", but that is a matter of perspective. Power is all I need it to be, and it will tow 3,500lbs. The thing gets MUCH better mileage than it's 200+hp competitors, and GM has a couple of great V6 powerplants that get such mileage. I consider this one of 'em (that 3800 being the other, my pop's Buick gets 30MPG still after 75K of trouble free driving).

Happy Aztrekkin.
  • hotcoffeehotcoffee Member Posts: 218
    My Xterra only has 170hp and gets only 16mpg (combo)- sounds like the AZTEK has a good combo of weight/power. The X sure does not- good torque though.

People may joke about the Aztek- but if it works for you and your family- hold your head high when you drive it. Sometimes it is trendy to gang up on a vehicle and it is not always justified.

Enjoy.
  • dangbwidangbwi Member Posts: 35
    I thought about using the inside rack and decided against it. Some of my reasons are: Rear seats have to be removed, result loss of passenger space and having to store the seats. Dirty mountain bikes leave a mess that would have to be cleaned. Front tire needs to be pulled, not really a big deal but it still takes some time. Receiver rack can be used on other vehicles. I don't pull a trailer when I'm out biking.
    Did you check out the Sportrack? I ordered mine from my favorite bike shop and they took $50 off the price.

I ATV in the Mountain area.

Any thoughts on under coating for those that live in the rustbelt states?

Dan
    dangbwi - I have had other vehicles of ours rustproofed and undercoated at Ziebart here in Michigan, and had great results. But my wife and I are on a budget now with the new Aztek, so I'm trying a new approach. I did it myself (see post #2736). Undercoating only of course. I can't shoot inside the panels like Ziebart does. we are going to try doing this for a few years and see how things go. I have found that on modern galvanized cars, by far the majority of rust damage is in areas either damaged in a collision, or heavily abraded by road blast. So I am going to respray the wheelhouses as needed, the same way Ziebart does if you pay them. Good Luck with yours. BTW we also already have a receiver hitch bike rack - will probably stick with it based on your advice.

hotcoffee - thanks for the uplifting words.
  • echotekechotek Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone out there know where I can purchase a locking gas cap for my Aztek? Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Thanks
    I just got my brand new Xterra undercaoted and rustproofed at Ziebart... and a couple of things to keep in mind...

First: I think it is worth the $300 if you plan to keep you car a long time.

Second: The warranty requires a yearly visit which costs $40- which sort of bugs me.

Third: DON'T DO IT RIGHT BEFORE A TRIP or extended use. They didn't tell me, but the tar smell is very strong and permiates the car. Enough to make you sick on a long drive (very hard to ignore) You may want to wiat til the new car smell is gone before undercoating/rustproofing... Mine has a very strong odor for 4 days and faded slowly to almost gone in 1.5 weeks.

Lastly: I noticed some sound damping which was a welcome outcome- harsh bumps sound quieter from the interior due to less echo in body panels.

Food for thought. As Niel Young says "Rust Never Sleeps"
  • gregeastongregeaston Member Posts: 128
    According to the Aztek's manual:

Azteks are designed and built to resist corrosion. All
    body and sheet-metal components are warranted
    against rust-through corrosion for 6 years or 100,000
    miles, whichever comes first. Application of additional
    rust-inhibiting materials is not required and none is
    recommended.

I would assume that the application of such materials wouldpretty much, immediately void the Anti-corrosion warranty.
    It might.

I called my Nissan dealer before doing it- He said "no problem"....

In reality, the undercoating buys you the extra 4 years (10 years vs 6).

And here in salted-road land it's worth it to me.
    I thought you said you undercoated an Aztek.

The Nissan should be cool.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    No problemo.
  • ck14ck14 Member Posts: 1
    whether or not to buy an Aztek. Yes, I know some people think they are ugly. I'm more concerned about the fact that this is a first year car. I currently own a 95 Windstar (another "first year") and that was a disaster overall. Thankfully mine is still ok (knock wood!). Any comments? I test drove an Aztek and loved it. I'd appreciate any input!

TIA!
    I researched the Aztek against Tracker, Tribute, Santa Fe, Elantra GT, Protege5, Golf, and Blazer. I evaluated safety, price, fuel economy, cargo space, and versatility.

Aztek beat them all hands down on cargo space and versatility. Among the 4 bangers, it did poorly on fuel economy - against the other 6 poppers it was best in class. I actually achieve a consistent 2MPG above sticker. It was more expensive than the 4 cylinders, but less than the SUVs (with current rebates). Safety is out, as Aztek has yet to be rated.

Reliability? Same Transmission and engine as Montana. Been out a while (I had a 97 Montana), and scores high on reliability and MPG - GM makes some nice V6's. Those are the two major components, so you limit your risk with the "first model year".

Mine has 10k on it and I am loving it. You get over the ugly after a few days, then it starts to grow on you. Whether it is here or on Yahoo, you will see plenty of happy owners reporting no problems. Only people who don't own them criticize them.

Best of luck on whatever you decide (don't base your decision on this message - you don't know me!).

Myke
    I agree with mykem1 - many of the key assemblies are Montana carryover, including majority of powertrain (excluding versaTrak), HVAC,
    ABS, body electronics like the battery rundown protection, etc. These things are a great value right now! You can generally get around invoice and then another $3k off ($1k factory rebate, plus $2k dealer cash). We love ours!

www.mwshowgo.com/kermit/index.htm
  • guru101guru101 Member Posts: 15
    I did months of research on basically the same group of vehicles that mykem1 looked at. And I just bought a Santa Fe. This was the first non-GM product I've every purchased. Being such a GM guy, I tried very hard to find a reason to buy something they make (plus I had $2k of earnings on my GM Card that I was hoping to use as a down payment).

I agree that the Aztek is the best SUV GM has to offer in the small SUV segment, but here are the reasons I chose the Santa Fe instead.

1. Price: despite the way-below-cost price that an Aztek can be had at, the Santa Fe is still less expensive. Even if you can get a killer deal on a Tek the pricing would still be comparable.

2. Value Retention: The first year Azteks are poised to set an all-time record for depreciation. Hardly anyone want's to buy a new one, so imagine how difficult dumping a used one will be. GM's emergency redesign of the Tek will only accentuate this problem by placing the first year models in the 'stale' category.

3. The rear seats in the Tek, while roomier than some SUV's, are still cramped quarters for many adults. The Santa Fe offered more space in this area.

4. The warranty: With a Santa Fe I got 5yr/60k bumper to bumper, and 10yr/100k powertrain.

5. The looks: Both the Aztek and Santa Fe offer excellent value right now, and they both have distinctive styling. I think its safe to say, however, that the general consensus is that the Aztek is a vehicle with looks only mother-GM could love, while the Santa Fe has much wider appeal.

Whatever you decide, I can't stress enough to take your time and make the right decision for you. Best of luck!
  • lbthedoglbthedog Member Posts: 198
    Value retention?

This really won't be as bad as some people speculate. There are no vehicles that make money. They are all an expense, at this point somebody will tell the story about how they bought and sold something that made them a few bucks. Time is money, you want to chase after cars to make a few bucks, 99 times out a 100, you'll lose. If you really want to discuss the worst, you're talking about last generation Explorers.

Now that the "shock value" of the styling has settled out, more people are looking at Azteks as a value. Here in the midwest we're getting the gas price spike again. Some refinery around blew-up. The Aztek does quite well on fuel and is being recognized for that. It does drive well. The only common "glitch" has been the rear hatch and the release mechanism. Other than that, it just plain flat works. Biggest problem you'll see around here is that the powers that be have closed the "Ugly Aztek" thread. So the juveniles will soon start filtering in. If you're like me and buy vehicles for long terms and high mileage, the 'Tek will treat you just fine. If you buy to turn them over, buy 3 or 4 year old ones and waste your weekends answering the phone and worrying if checks will clear.
  • dangbwidangbwi Member Posts: 35
    I waited until the price came down and bought a Aztek GT AWD. It is quiet and smooth on the road. The engine is not under powered with the AWD as one of the reviewers speculated. I actually had a couple of passengers do a seat claim and it was for the back seat. I asked why they wanted the back and both replied it's comfortable, it surprised me.

Good luck and have fun,
    Dan
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    I just can't believe someone compared the 'tek to a Wrangler. On a Wrangler, the big wheel wells serve a purpose.

Many of us "bashers" actually have valid opinions as to why the vehicle is unattractive as well as overpriced for the value
    Guru101 - Hope you are happy with your Sante Fe - Seems like an OK sport ute for the money. However I respectfully disagree with your comparison. It seems to me the Aztek overall is a much better value:

1. It is a little difficult to compare apples/apples between these two, since the Aztek GT by default is more feature-laden (dual-zone AC with pollen filter, battery rundown protection, driver info center, programmable HUD and interior lighting with theatre dimming and brightening, steering wheel radio controls, 4-12VDC outlets, reclining rear seatbacks, Passkey III, etc).

2. However, I built an Aztek GT AWD on carpoint.com and came to an invoice price of $22,177, after application of the $1K factory rebate and $2K dealer cash. The closest-equipped Sante Fe LX 4WD was invoicing at $22,185 (with only one feature not on the Aztek, heated front seats). So I don't understand how the Sante Fe is less expensive to begin with.

3. On the specs alone, the Aztek comes out superior in virutally every category:

-- Interior room: more f/r headroom, f/r shoulder room, f/r hiproom (7 inches more in rear!) and rear legroom (38 vs 36.6 inches). Plus more cargo room, 105 vs 100.7 cu. ft.

-- Maneuverability: tigher turn diameter, 36.4 vs 37.1 ft. circle.

-- Engine: 185 hp, 210 ftlb torque vs 181/177 on Sante Fe. Torque makes a BIG difference in how responsive a vehicle feels, and for passing and towing.

-- Fuel economy: 18/25 vs 19/23 on Sante Fe, overall probably giving a slight edge to Aztek since with more torque you will find yourself flooring it less.

4. If you are interested in true luxury, you have more options in equipping an Aztek. Leather, sunroof, rear captain's chairs, 6-disk in-dash CD changer, heavy-duty (3500 lb) towing package with load leveling and accessory compressor, all are options on the Aztek but not the Sante Fe.

5. Warranty: One reason Hyundai offers a big warranty is they don't have much of a track record selling in the US and buyers are understandably nervous. I'm NOT saying Hyundai has poor quality - I'm talking about quality perception and image. Also - read the fine print carefully; many long warranties have scores of exclusions.

6. I'm starting to chuckle when I see people wring their hands about value retention. How many folks sell their cars after one year? Plus - lots of cars have significant depreciation in the first few years. So what? I could make depreciation the sole criteria of my purchase. If so I would have a happy bankbook but a boring commuting experience. Virtually every car depreciates, and most drop a lot in the first two or three years. Leasing is more of an option for those nervous about depreciation. Me, I simply don't care. I once bought a 1983 Chevy Citation X11 new and sold it 11 years later after 98K miles of fun for $1400. To me it was worth every penny and I did OK overall.

7. Styling: When the 1994 S-10 was restyled with a round nose, I hated it. But the look grew on me and we ended up buying a 1998 S-10 Blazer anywyay! I think there is a phenomenon in auto styling consumerism I'd call 'styling acclimation'. Now that Azteks are out on the road, I think people are getting used to how different they are, and embracing something fresh and distinctive. My wife loves her Aztek and gets regular positive comments from friends and strangers. Styling is a personal choice but I also like the Aztek GT because it looks very sporty - like a GT. It never gets mistaken for 'just another SUV'. The Aztek also comes in more colors than the Sante Fe, and they are bolder more innovative hues IMHO.

CK14 - let us know what happens!
    Mr. vin_weasel - That was me comparing the two, in post #2767. I certainly don't mean any disrespect to Jeep Wrangler owners. One of my friends has a 1999 Wrangler Sport, and I encouraged him to buy it when he was deciding. I think Wranglers are cool. And it did catch me off guard when my wife compared her Aztek to a Jeep. But she did. And that is what got me thinking, and commenting on the wheel wells and length.

I have full respect for the validity of your opinions, and hope you can return the favor. If you don't like how Azteks look, fine. But as for value, that's a lot more objective and the Aztek is simply not a poor value. In fact, I just took a look at carpoint for a Wrangler Sahara, and it came to an invoice of $22,495 and still had no leather, wide reclining rear seat backs, camping option, OnStar option, HUD or steering wheel stereo controls, option for in-dash CD changer, etc etc.

Wranglers are great for what they are good at, off-roading, but you pay for it in 15/17 MPG with the A3 trans. I prefer the Aztek because it offers Some off-road capability, but is still quite versatile for other uses and gets good fuel economy. To each his/her own.
  • vin_weaselvin_weasel Member Posts: 237
    It's not the ideal daily driver, that's for sure. I wouldn't buy one except for exactly what you said, off roading. I just don't think you can compare them at all. In essence, one is a minivan and the other is a dune buggy. The big wheel wells in the wrangler are for articulation while the Aztek just needs bigger wheels for it's body size. It has a large side profile.

I think that they could have made improvements to the Aztek (improved wheel size being one of them) and it would have been a winner, but a number of things have contributed to its current, er, predicament.
    With you, vin_weasel, on Jeep Wrangler off-roading. I used to have a K5 Blazer when we lived in Denver, and the Jeeps could still do more off-road than the K5. Jeeps have an advantage on rocks and narrow trails.

We have taken our FWD Aztek off-road at my Dad's ranch, and I was happy with its performance 'in the field'. It took some significant hills without spinning its road-y tires, and overall rode smoother off-road than my old K5 did. It's obviously not a 'serious' off-roader like a Wrangler... but can still get you around just fine on mild terrain, as well as most any dirt road or car trail to which the regular driving public has access (except not the steep, rutted fire roads in the Colorado Rockies! Yikes).

Pontiac's "predicament" has been a boon to our family, since we got a packed loaded Aztek GT for thousands below sticker and tomorrow night we will once again be camping in it!

Wheels are an easy bolt-on fix, but we are happy with the stock aluminum GT wheels (very washable BTW!) and the wifey has a strict rule: NO mods (for now!). I read that for 2002 17" wheels will be standard (don't know on which model).
    Hey, I think I have mentioned I own a Plymouth Colt Vista (aka - Mitsubishi Expo) - which is for sale, BTW, if you are interested.

But my wife and I also had a Citation. See a Trend here? Citation to Vista, Vista to Aztek. Lots of room, great MPG, hatchback with flip and fold rear seat. Both our Citation (4 cyl, BTW, not the X11) and our Vista were auto and A/C only, so the goodies I loaded up on in the Aztek really make it shine.

But, moral of the story, each one of these vehicles was ridiculed at debut as "ugly". Maybe they were just ahead of their time. Maybe I just like the underdog. Maybe I am just practical and like a good value.
    Hmmm. Pretty close. We looked at Santa Fe when we bought our Sable wagon too. At that time, there was NO DEALING. They were pretty proud of that puppy. Also, no safety rating, and Hyundai didn't do historically well in that category. Who knew that Santa Fe would do so well? Oh well.

We liked it so much that we looked at it again before settling on the tek. But the tek was loaded, with a bigger and more efficient V6, and more room besides. That's what did it for me. Price comparison was negligible, as Kermitek points out, with options and the V6. Styling, safety, and warranty went to the Santa Fe. I have friends with both (one with a Santa Fe, the other owns an Aztek). They both seem happy.
    I have no regrets. I really like this car.

Value? Neither of these vehicles are Mercedes, so let's be real. :)
    I love the 'fastback' rear hatch on our Aztek GT. I have never understood the utility of having a square, boxy rear end on a minivan or SUV. You can't safely place cargo above the height of the rear seatback, so why have a tall rear box anyway? If we decide to fit our Aztek with a third seat, it will face to the rear and there appears ample headroom for such an installation (such as from www.littleseats.com ).

mykem1 - there are a lot of similarities between that Aztek GT and the Citation X11, like you mentioned. I think the 'underdog' aspect is cool too, and the fact that these vehicles were/are more accepted by futurists or forward thinkers. I get a little kick out of having a car that gives critics fits. The Citation X11 got a lot of abuse in the press but was a great value and an excellent performer in its day. It won and placed in many showroom stock road races in the early 1980's, due to its light weight, rack/pinion steering, torquey V6 and tuned suspension/tires.
  • kissfan2kissfan2 Member Posts: 17
    I compared the AZTEK to the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV 4 and some mini vans like the Sienna.

All this has been said before by me in earlier posts. I've owned the AZTEK since last September and have simply been ecstatic with it's performnce and feel. Clearly this has been outstanding and I look forward to driving it every day!!

; ) wearing the AZTEK smile!!
  • noastarnoastar Member Posts: 108
    As the title implies I'm taking my Aztek in for a checkup of sorts. Two interior lights have gone out. On the 6-disk CD changer the lighting on the "seek/scan" and "rev-fwd" buttons went out. The rear window buttons have no light either (not sure if they ever did, someone fill me in on that). And the interior light dim popout switch has no light at the end of the stem (again, not sure if it ever did). Lastly the HUD dimmer dial has no light on the white indicator line (like on the A/C dials, but alas, not sure if it ever did). I'm going to check an Aztek on the lot to check and see which lights are out.

Might be some fuse or a bad wire, who knows.

Also I've had some tire fading on the Uniroyal Tiger Paws. Probably from being left on the lot so long untreated. I have a nice tire wax on them now.

Does anyone get a noticable thunk when shifting between park/reverse/drive? I haven't driven an automatic in years and don't know if this is normal.

While driving and sometimes parked I hear a loud pop from the back. Like metal popping into shape. It's rare, but loud when it happens.

So:
    Lights
    Tires
    Transmission
    Popping Sound

Considering three of these are probably nothing I'm a happy camper. Not bad after the first 3k on a new model. Anyone who can float me a line about the interior lights would be of great help. Thanks.
    Lights sounds like you might have some insulation scraped off a few leads. You might also have gotten some water or condensation in those parts of the cluster. If a fuse was blown, entire sections of lights would be out (if not the entire dash). You should have lights on the rear window switches. I don't see any on mine indicating the white line on the HUD.

I like Uniroyal Tiger Paws. Have had them almost exclusively on all my vehicles for past 15 years. I have Firestone HTs now, and will replace them soon. I hated Firestone long before it became fashionable (remember the infamous 721s? - I got burned on those twice, that was enough for me). Fading of the black, or the raised letter? The black is normal, and comes back with off the shelf treatments. The raised white letters you may have to scrub with cleaner to bring back the white (very stiff brush).

Popping noise you got me on. Take the vehicle down any bad roads? I broke a helper spring once and it sounded like that, whether parked or running it would just give a little and make a metallic popping noise. I have 10,000 miles on mine and have none of the symptoms of which you speak - which leads me to believe they may be in part due to how long it sat on the lot.
    I take rediculous care of my Aztek. Never bad roads, always a mirror finish, etc. Interior is the same way. It's actually cleaner than when I bought it 3 months ago. Thanx for the light info. Looks like the CD player has two out and the rear doors. Tranny I think is nothing and the popping who knows. Car runs and rides perfect so these probs ain't too bad for a first year model.

Believe me I love this car. I'm currently searching around for an extended warranty.

By the way, does anyone know where you can get those neon light ground FX??? Is it possible to get tinted interior light covers and if so where? I want my interior lights to be either red or purple and to have purple ground FX. The tires I may Use red or silver Black Magic Tire tint. It's the sidewall that browns a bit. Speaking of tires, anyone know anything to get brake dust off. The tires are aluminum, but it looks like the center hub cover is plastic. Should I remove the cover before using any recommended cleaners??

Also is there any UV protectants/cleaners/polishers that you guys use on your plastic cladding? Is it needed and will any cleaners/polishers last through a rain? I'm hesitant to use armorall because it never says anything about exterior use and will rain wash it right off.

Lastly, my headlights are aimed a smidge to the right. It doesn't say anything in the manual on how to aim them. All our other cars had ways to aim them so does anyone know how to aim them?

Hmm, I think that's it. I'm a car care nut so any comments are keeping the car showroom quality are appreciated. I'm a turtlewax fan. I wash once a week with Zipwax and use the Quickwax spray on wax. Monthly I wash and polish with Turtle Wax's black color polish and then use Turtle Wax Exteme Cleaner Wax. I started using Turtle Wax's tire wax but the results didn't impress me and the applicator is horrible. I also have used Formula 2001 tire cleaner spray and it didn't do anything. I use the Absorber to dry (takes a few minutes for the whole car!!). Use armor all cleaning wipes and original spray for interior and Turtle wax leather car for seats. Eagle One 20/20 for the glass and Rain X of course. Oh, and I use turtle wax hard shell on the aluminum rims once I get them clean (which requires sponge scrubbing until I find something that works). It's a trick someone told me that really makes'em shine. Just the outside rim though.

I'm very happy with my paint, glass, and interior products; but need to find some good tire and cladding products. If anyone's tried that tire tint from black magic let me know if it's any good.

Thanks for all the info.
    I like this forum, but it's very slow. Too bad more Aztek owners aren't in here. Since I've started posting I think maybe 10 people actively post. Cars should come with an Edmunds pamphlet and web address to owner forums so people know where to come. As is sometimes you wait days for someone to stumble in and reply.

Ah well, at least here people don't bash me for owning a Tek.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Please feel free to let any other Aztek owners know about this Edmunds.com, Town Hall, and this discussion topic! :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • cmujahidcmujahid Member Posts: 2
    you know when i bought my firebird..i actually sent a letter to Pontiac praising the designer that came up with the changes to the Firebird. I think Pontiac has lost "it's ever loving mind" with the Aztec. Nice idea...tent on the rear end and all...but guys...really. I just hope they don't change my Firebird any time soon. I need another....in about 3 years....TOTALLY UNCHANGED I HOPE!!!!
    And two, to each his own. I love my Aztek.

And the Firebird is such a great seller they have considered cancelling the line twice in the last ten years.
    Get your neon effects just about anywhere. There are so many accessory places that sell them now - heck, even JC Whitney has em! (not for Aztek yet). Most places that carry em also install em. Your interior lights may be a problem, but ask at the accessory place, as they will know where else to try if they don't have them. I don't accessorize, and am not much past religious maintenenace (oil changes, tran service, etc), so I don't go to these stores - but you need only go so far as Automoblies - Parts and Accessories in your phone book.

Your tranmission thunking happened to me on my 97 Montana (same tranny and engine). If you park on an incline/decline, try using your parking brake. Fully engage the brake pedal when coming to a stop and while engaging the parking brake. Then, fully engage the brake when taking the parking brake off and shifting into gear when starting the car back up. If this works, then you were just putting undue pressure on the tranny and were feeling the effects of it being released when placed into gear.

If it doesn't work, get the tranny serviced early (pan pulled, gasket replaced, fluid replaced) at about 20-25K miles. Any signs of damage should show up in metal shavings in your pan, and you will be well within warranty to have it serviced for free.

On your lights, are you sure it is headlights and not foglights? You sound like a person concerned with the "effect" of your vehicle and those people typically run with fog lights much of the time. Reason I ask is that it is a separate adjustment for each.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's also the Aztek Owner's Club linked at the top of the page. It's been Aztek friendly since inception. (We're taking a dimmer view of gratuitous bashing all around too). Enjoy your ride!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I have a 95 Firebird Formula for a company car. It is fast and fun to drive...but it's a good thing I didn't have to pay for the three transmissions, 2 rear differentials, 4 sets of tires, 3 brake jobs (including new rotors at 80K) and the three fuel pumps! Except for the maintenance and the cheap interior that squeaks like a rubber duck, it's a great car!
    To the best of my knowledge if you need a new firebird in the next three years you've got a problem.

2002 looks like it will be the last year for the bird and the camaro. Motortrend, C/D, and Cars.com have all done stories on their death in '02. They may have them sitting on lots a bit past they due to their poor sales (maybe they'll put'em next to the Azteks:), but as far as I know they're caput at the end of next year. Personally I hate the Ford Mustang compared to the GM F-bodies, but I also like the Aztek which shows you how mainstream I am compared to the rest of the nation. Their sales have been pitifull compared with the Mustang.

Thanks for the info mykem1. I normally don't drive with my fog lights on. I Got out of the car one night and when looking at the headlamps (they stay on a good while) I noticed they were skewed to the right a bit. So it's just the main lamps that need adjusted, but hey, if you know how please inform me on how to do both that way I'm good for life:)

Drew, thanks for the Owner Club link. I've stopped in before, but the only really active board on there is this one. By the way Drew, if you've ever been to the C/D forums you'd know it's nice to see a moderator who actually moderats. It's on ongoing joke at C/D that moderators are actually a myth spoken about during bedtime stories.

If anyone has prices on the mods I spoke of or knows how they word/are installed please fill me in.
    Actually, my partner in crime, Steve, was the one who provided you with the link to the Aztek owner's club :-) Agan, feel free to introduce others to that area as well.

Enjoy the ride!

Drew
    Host
    kissfan2 - good to see you posting again! I downloaded and read all 2xxx messages on this board as text files, and your words were inspiring. I did read your comparos of the various vehicles.

noastar - Our Aztek has lights for the rear window switches but no lighting on HUD dimmer or protruding dash light dimmer adjuster knob. Tranny and popping - have checked by dealer. I will post inputs on finish care in a day or two. Warranty: I got the GM Major Guard extended warranty for my 98 GTP.

drew_HOST and steve_HOST: thanks for policing the bashing. I try to show respect for others, and hope they will do the same. Sometimes we need the Hand of The Law to intervene. Also readers should understand that when you do, it might not be apparent since you can delete entire posts and the post count will not show evidence of such.

cmujahid - Our family has a 99 Firebird Formula, a 98 GTP and a 2001 Aztek GT. We love them all! The Firebird is going away from dealers the soonest though. It will be missed. But customers are demanding more these days - especially more versatility. I have read Pontiac is moving away from '3-box' sedans and coupes in the next couple years, into crossover vehicles like the Vibe, Aztek and Rev.

camping: Well we went camping again saturday night in our new Aztek... had a blast again! This time there were a lot more bugs and humidity. I welcomed the challenge. I wanted to see how the tent would work on two key parameters - bug protection and ventilation. I was very happy with both!

I disabled the dome lights so bugs would not invite themselves in with me. We inflated our Aztent mattress in record time (less than a minute!) with my Dad's shop compressor, then wifey and my four-year old jumped in on it and we drove up in a field on family property. I have found it to be better if you must choose, to park with vehicle nose pointing downhill for sleeping comfort. It was very dark this time, since moon was not out. So I erected the tent with the parking lights on and a small flashlight. I found a good way to keep bugs out is to put the top two little hooks on and then raise the tail glass after the bottom elastic is already around the bumper. Very few gaps, and then none after the side hooks are on.

It was kind of too warm in the back until I opened the panels on back and one side to expose the screens. Then a cool breeze came in and it was fine, even with the wife, one tyke, and me all three abreast on the surprisingly wide mattress and flat floor (rear seats out). We could have probably fit in our 1-year old too, at our feet, if we had tried. It was very peaceful once wifey and kid fell asleep, so I reviewed some digital pix I had taken that day on my camera viewfinder while I listened to the Aztek stereo and fiddled with the rear controls. Then I watched the stars through the screens until I fell asleep.

BTW, I saw on the Pontiac web site that the camping kit is still free! From 8/1/1 thru end of year, as long 'as supplies last'. So I asked the dealer what would happen since I already bought mine from their parts dept. He said they normally mail it to owners a few weeks after the sale so when I get mine I can just bring the unopened one in for a refund and keep the one I bought. So on top of the $3K off and all the other discounts, the camping kit is free too! Hooray!

Aztek grin :o) (hope that's OK Kissfan2 I know it's your trademark!)
    I've been doing some research about the Aztek and how to hot-rod it... and got some ideas already.

1. Grand Prix aluminum wheels and 225-series performance radials are a direct bolt-on. I have seen an Aztek with such wheels/tires, and it looked pretty good. The Goodyear Eagle RSA 225/60R16 is standard on Grand Prix GTP's like mine, and is a great all-season performance tire.

2. There is huge overlap between the performance options available to 1999-2002 Grand Am GT owners and Aztek owners (engine is almost exactly the same, possibly a hotter cam in Aztek). In fact, I've been lurking a lot lately over on www.grandamgt.com reading the forums there about how they mod their cars. Some of their favorite mods include K&N cone or drop-in filters, borla catback exhaust, and ASE performance chips. Incredibly, I was able to convince the wife to put in a drop-in K&N! So we did on saturday. I got it from Summit Racing in Akron Ohio for $38. It is exactly the same as the one for the 2001 Grand Am GT, in fact that is what I asked for. It seems to be a little faster now, mostly from 20-50 MPH. It is not at all louder (bad news to me, good news to wifey).

3. I read that within a few months, GM will be offering a supercharger kit for 99-02+ Grand Am GT's. It will be installable and warranted by GM dealers. No word yet on whether they will also warrant and install on Azteks. Perhaps if so, they will require the receiving Azteks to have the trailering package, and then reduce the allowable towing loads. It's not cheap! > $3000 just for the kit. But blowers always cost a lot, more so than turbos. MAJOR HP boost: 30-70 HP. Hey, I can dream....

4. One thing I did on the Grand Prix was cut off the resonator and replace with pipe. Seemed to help a little, 2-5 HP, esp. above 3K RPM. Aztek also has a resonator aft of the muffler... maybe I should talk to the wife again.
    Do you guys own Azteks? You seem pretty kind about the car?

Servicing my Tek is going to be a pain since I commute to school every single day, but somehow I'll manage to get it in. I'm gonna drop it off on the 4th and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I don't know about performance upgrades. I've noticed plenty of low RPM thrust as well as a pleasant push into the seat while passing, but it's the 30-50mph range that's a little tired. I'd be worried that a performance mod would reduce my gas mileage and I don't want a louder engine. It's got a sweet note as is. If there are cheap mods that don't affect your mileage in any way please post and let me know. Also do they do anything to warranty?
    Well, I don't currently own a car! (my wife lets me drive her Quest now and then). I do like underdogs I guess (ergo the Quest) and most of us have gotten tired of all the gratuitous bashing of the Aztek. fwiw, I don't believe that K&N's, Tornadoairs and the like help any, but you should look at the Accessories/Aftermarket Board and see what people who actually own cars recommend <g>.

Steve
    Host

Does anyone know the largest width that the Aztek can handle???

Where does one find this Information?

I use the speed calculator at http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html to calculuate the speed difference and using 235/65-16's instead of my stock 215/70-16's will mean my speedometer reads .6% slow (meaning about a half mile off at 60mph which is the fastest I go.

That sounds really great and the wider tire would be nice. Anyhow, does anyone know how wide a tire can fit and if you can "make" it fit. Can you leave the tire sticking out of the wheel wells a bit? Is that bad? Is that expensive? Do you have to change brakes and what not? Thanks for any help.

Good post here that you may find helpful (geared more towards offroad, but good stuff on sizing):

tireguy "Tires, tires, tires" Jul 7, 2001 3:11pm

Steve
    Host

No Aztek for me either. My ride is a '00 MB M-class. :-). Aside from the links that Steve has added above, remember to consider the fender lips and any possible rubbing too as the wheels travel up and down.

There will apparently be tire/wheel changes to the '02 Aztek so stay tuned for about another month or so for more detailed info!

Drew
    Host
  • osvaldoosvaldo Member Posts: 11
    I'm wondering whether to wait for the newer maybe better looking Teks for '02 or cash in on the bargains available now and all the freebies. Just got a Buick Rendevous for my wife and we love it. Any thoughts appreciated.
    The price of the 2002 should actually be lower than the current 2001. A "price adjustments" was going to be made since the 2001 missed its target market by about 5k.

If you don't like the way the car looks I wouldn't get one at all and save my money. I always say there's one car for everyone and they'll know it the minute they sit in the driver's seat. If you didn't feel that way about an Aztek then you'll only regret spending your hard earned money on it.

Make a list of every car that fits your needs (price, safety, size, drivetrain, fuel economy, etc). Don't discount cars you don't think you'd want if they meet the requirements of your list. Then take a day and drive all the cars on your list. Give yourself a week after the drives and the one you simply can't live without driving again is your car.
  • exzurexzur Member Posts: 166
    I replaced my stock 215/70-16's with 235-60-17's five weeks ago. On paper the difference in tire diameter is only 0.2 inch, but my feeling is the height of the car has increased at least two inches. Too bad I did not measure before the new wheels was installed. The car gets more stable and the handling has improved. After over 3,000 miles of used there is no rubbing on the wheel wells.

Last week I drove this car to Florida. On I-95 from Jackonsville to Coco beach. At a steady speed of 80-85 mph, 90-95 mph at times, the car was very stable. My complain is and I wished for more power. I can feel the engine laboring.
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Member Posts: 391
    Has there been a date for the release of the 2002 Aztek? Will it contain any engine performance enhancements such as horsepower or torque?

Anybody know the specifics regarding changes to sheet metal? Or is this some big GM secret that will be a suprise?

I would think to reach its "active outdoors" audience, Pontiac should place a Class 2 trailer hitch on the vehicle as part of the trailer towing package.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    I think I have seen a post somewhere that said there is a infomation hold on the press until October 1st for the 2002 Aztek info. The dealers have been told they will get info mid-late September.
    There will be no sheet metal changes, as there is not enough time. Might see sheet metal changes in 2003.
    As the engine is the same in the Grand Am/Alero and Van triplets, do not expect any factory performance enhancements. Aftermarket perhaps.
    Putting all posts and speculations together, 2002 should feature body colored clading and bumper covers, rear widow spoiler, increase standard tire size (16") and optional tire size (17"), small increase in standard equipment, and a price decrease (?) in the range on the amount of the current incentives ($1,500-2,000). Not much time to do anyhing more extensive.