Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Aztek

1121122123124125127»

Comments

• ray80ray80 Member Posts: 1,655
    This is what worked for me: I started vehicle with good key (new one some distance away), then while running put new key near switch (and kept it there while going for a ride). Key worked after this. Worth a try anyway.
  • lknuthlknuth Member Posts: 2
    In reference to the hatch not opening when pressing button, just a click, try lubricating the two large hinges at the top of the hatch. Worked for me.
  • ccerna1ccerna1 Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for your reply when you say " My transmission temp sensor was causing a problem and it turned out the the air cleaner/engine computer box was resting on the wiring that runs to the sensors in the transmission. I removed the box" Do you mean the CBM module that is on the drivers side next to your right side on the panel??? which wire do you know I rather to do the easiest fix first :( and thank you!!
  • neopostmanneopostman Member Posts: 57
    No, I think you are saying the BCM which is the body control module. The engine computer box is under the hood on the driver side of the car. It also has the air filter as well. The bottom of this box rest on a major wiring bundle and over time will wear through the wires, on my car it got the transmission fluid temp sensor wire. Correct me if I'm wrong but did you say It's been three years since your last fluid change? If so, you should get that taken care of soon but I don't think that is the cause of your problem at this point.
  • 2azteks2azteks Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know if it is possible to add the keyless entry option to a 2003 Aztek that came without it. It has power door locks and I do have the Pontiac Service manuals for my 2001 Aztek that does have the keyless entry system (and which has become my wife's car).

In other words is the factory keyless entry system some module and parts that could be gotten from a junkyard Aztek or is there more to it. Like it interfaces with the computer or anti theft system and can't be done. I really have no interest in getting an aftermarket system but it is tiresome to lock and unlock the car without the keyless entry.

Thanks.
  • jwmc1jwmc1 Member Posts: 1
    My son has a 2002 Pontiac Aztek with about 150,000 miles on it. The other day it began to have transmission issues. Basically it seemed to start out in 2nd gear and the shifts very hard after that. The check engine light came on and it was shift solenoid A and B. I took the car up and had the transmission completely flushed and then I clean all the elctrical connections I could find. During this process I disconnected the battery while work on the connections. When I put everything back togther the check engine light was off!!! I drove the car around for quite a while (about 45 minutes) and it shifted great during the drive and started out like it should from a dead stop. I got home, shut the car off and let it sit from about 15 minutes. I went back out and started it and the engine light came on again and the shifting is bad again. I stopped in a parking lot and turned off the car, started it back up and then it shifted fine again. Is this something anyone has seen before?
  • laynie63laynie63 Member Posts: 1
    This may not be the same but I had something that made me think I had transmission issues. It turned out to be the speed sensor that was bad. When the car cannot tell what speed it's going, it doesn't know when to shift and has a hard time.
    It sounds like you have a worn valve body. It is made of aluminum and the bores ware out. Get a good transmission rebuild and have that valve body bored and steel sleeves put in and also replace the 4th gear clutch hub with a harded type. Then make sure they use Dex-ron 6 transmission fluid. Car should go 200,000 if you alredy have 150,000 on it. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can help.
  • dgs331dgs331 Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Aztek has 200,000 miles on it. It runs great but here are the electrical issues. The ac/heat fan control only works on 1-4, not 5. The ac/heat regulating knob does nothing at all. It's on full ac all the time and there is no heat. The gas gauge stays on full until you go to reserve and then it goes to the E and the Low Fuel Light comes on. The AWD Disable light is always on and the ABS Brake light is always on. The light for the odometer is intermittent.

I suspect the Body Control Module but I don't want to spend the money to find out it's something else. Does anyone know what module controls these functions?

Thanks for your help.
    For the HVAC issue I would wonder about the HVAC cluster (either bad or perhaps bad connection).

Gas gauge ,AWD,ABS may be trouble with C305 connector (google 'gm c305 connector' for various things it can cause). Gas gauge could also be issue with sensor in fuel tank, AWD/ABS could be problem with wheel speed sensor/wiring.
    ray80 (message 6749) beat me to the punch but I agree with him so check those things and let us know what you find out.
  • topsy1topsy1 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    Today when I started my Aztek I thought a motorcycle was coming down the road, but none was. When I shut off the motor, the sound was still there. I checked the back of the vehicle to see if anything was amiss, but everything was okay but the putt-putt sound was still there even although the car wasn't running. Can anyone help? Thank you.
  • ctjeepdadctjeepdad Member Posts: 1
    Hello there- my wife just bought an 01 Aztek with 126k on it and now it's my job to find out what's wrong with it and how to fix it. Here's what I've noticed so far.
    1. The ABS light, AWD message check engine light and check gauges message all are on when car is turned on.
    2. a few seconds after starting it the Brake light comes on and an incessant beeping starts.
    3. When turning wheel all the way tot he right a clicking sound can be heard from the front.

CAn anyone hep me out? Where to start. I'd rather not spend a fortune on this and just start replacing things.
    Thank you
    edited August 2013
    For the ABS,AWD, and possibly check engine light the C305 connector the potential culprit as issues with it can cause all the symptoms. Google (or bing) search for 'gm c305 connector' and you will find more info. The ABS could also be a wheel speed sensor/wiring issue. Brake light could be low on fluid or some other failure.
    The clicking sound is most likely a CV joint. Connector 305 is also a good place for investigation as well for brake light / AWD disabled. A bad wheel hub will cause this problem. Hope this helps.
  • newtekiecdbnewtekiecdb Member Posts: 6
    Hi, my 2001 Tek has started the dinging alarm with the brake light on. At first I could pull over, turn off the car and restart it. The light/dinging would go away. Now I am at the point where I may have to do it 5 times to get it to stop, and sometimes I just have to drive it that way. My brakes are good, and fluid is full. Ironically, about 3 months ago I blew a brake line and the light/dinging never came on. My parking brake has not been working for over a year, so I doubt it's that.
    Any thoughts? I'm hearing that dinging noise in my head, in my sleep, and it's driving me crazy.
    A red brake light ( at least I think it would be red) would indicate problem in the regular ol brake system and should be addressed quickly. If its the ABS light in may be the C305 connector , or a wheel speed sensor/connection, or on your 01' I believe the wiring harness the the front wheel sensors may be a little short causing bad/ no connection to sensor(s) ( Its my understanding a replacement harness is a tad longer)
    Thanks so much for your attention to my problem. Well, the brakes seem to be fine. All shoes & drums are relatively new. I go through brakes at a good pace. The fluid levels are fine and the car brakes well. As I said before, when I blew a brake line there was no brake warning. When i ground the shoes down to the metal, there was no warning. the E brake has not worked for over a year..no warnings. My abs and awd disable lights are on and have been for 6 months or so, but my mechanics diagnostic tool indicates that it is the harness on the front driver side. I will replace it if my car lasts thru till winter. I have 180k miles on it. My transmission sometimes takes awhile to go into 2nd gear. It's a challenge to keep the check engine light off long enough to pass NYS inspection.BUT I LOVE MY YELLOW AZTRUCK! Everything is bearable except this darn dinging. It's gonna drive me crazy. Seems a shame to junk the car for this.
    Hi, I am having this very same problem with my 2001 Aztek. Did you ever solve the problem? I would be soooo grateful if you could help me figure out what to do.
  • pcrokenpcroken Member Posts: 1
    2001 Aztec AWD, car is locked up, will not start, it is like the car is in limp mode. gear shift is also locked. I went into the center console and unlocked the gear shifter and it still won't start. Is there something like a security lock that has the car in limp mode. Anyone have suggestions! I can not figure this out!!!
    The car is shut down. I can turn key and you will hear a clicking under the dash. But it still won't start.
  • buster51buster51 Member Posts: 16
    I had a similar problem but my key wouldn't even turn. The problem turned out to be the wiring between the ignition and the shifter. Once my mechanic fixed the wires it has been working fine. I believe he took the cover off the bottom side of the column.
  • 2azteks2azteks Member Posts: 2
    I had the EXACT same situation on my 2001 AWD Aztek. I was freaking out. Had it towed with AAA to my mechanic.

Battery was weak, needed a new battery.

Welcome to the world of computerized cars.