Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Noises and Rattles

p38shockerp38shocker Member Posts: 9
My truck has 24k miles all stock and it just started making a cricket noise on the pass side.It only makes it when I'm driving,I took it to the dealer they can't fine where its coming from. Any ideas

Comments

• p38shockerp38shocker Member Posts: 9
    My truck has 24k miles and it just started making a cricket like noise coming from under the pass side.I took it in to the dealer they said they can't fined where its making from.Any ideas?
  • alltorquealltorque Member Posts: 535
    "Cricket" noises come in two varieties, I believe. There is the chirrup-chirrup sound, which may mean you have, well.......a cricket living under the passenger seat. The other variety is the "Owzat ?" sound one hears during a game of Cricket. If it's this one it may mean you have an English guy trapped under the passenger side of the vehicle and he's not terribly happy.

I do apologise for this response, I just couldn't resist. I truthfully have no idea what the problem is but Happy New Year from here in the UK, anyway. :)
  • rtcooperrtcooper Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 dodge ram with 18,000 miles and I'm having the same noise, except mine seems to come from the drivers side speaker. I have had it at the dealer twice for them to check this out and they could not find anything. I have an Infinety radio? I think thats what its called. On a recent long trip I experienced alot of electrical problems. I have an appointment next Friday at the dealer. I'll let you know the outcome.
  • justlarryjustlarry Member Posts: 5
    do you have the bucket sets with the console if you do i found that when i put my arm on the arm rest the latch that holds the top box makes a cricket like noise hope this helps
  • rtcooperrtcooper Member Posts: 2
    After taking my truck to the dealer for other electrical problems. The dealer did tell me that dodge chrysler has a bullitan that says cricket noise is coming from the speaker when sterio turned down low or off is interference from GSM type cell phones to close to radio or amp
  • diesel13diesel13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 dodge 3/4 ton 2 wl drive cummins. At 60 to 75 mph I get this fairly loud low pitch whining noise. My mechanic drove it and when you make the truck swerve to the right the noise stops, when you swerve to the left, same noise. He checked the front bearings and the pass front seemed to be the problem so he installed a new wheel bearing/hub assembly. Took it back on the road and still has the same problem--$525.00. I would appreciate any comments. Thank you.
  • aholeahole Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2004 ram 2500 5.7 hemi its 4 wheel drive . everything is great when i first take off , after driving it for awhile aprx 10 miles at 65 mph or above when i stop and then take off there is a vibration from underneith , it only lasts for about 2 seconds and then its fine until i stop . any ideas thnx
    My 2500 make a whining noise too, it ended up being the front drive line and U joint. The mechanic couldn't fined it unitl it went out and I had to replace the drive shaft.
    On my 2500 it was the front U joint and drive shaft. When I put it in 4 wheel drive is when it got worse. The drive shaft was shot due to bad U joints
  • aholeahole Member Posts: 3
    Thnx for the info . Did yours vibrate the same way I discribed mine . If so how much was it to replace + how difficult . thnx again .
    it would only vibrate when i would slow down to stop. Warranty payed for it and it was about 300.00. Grab your drive line and see if it moves it could be the U joint.
  • rand63rand63 Member Posts: 3
    I have recently been experiencing a howling noise coming from either the front or rear end of my truck. About six months ago I replaced all four rotors and brake pads and did not have any trouble. A few months after I started getting a howl whenever I took off from a stop. I thought "brakes?". I put the truck up on stands and had someone apply the brakes and then release them. I tried turning the wheels after the release to check for drag, all was fine. I took the truck to the dealer to have them check it. They thought maybe drive-shaft, if it was a two piece shaft. I told them it was a one piece. I left the truck with them. A short time later I got a call that they needed to replace parts in the rear-end. After I picked up the truck and started home the noise was still there. Not only am I getting the noise from a take off, but now even more so I am getting it when I back up and turn the wheel to the left. It is really loud in 4 wheel drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I did the same thing, I thought it was coming from the front brakes. I had a friend listen as I pulled up to him, he said it was coming from the back.When I got home I looked under the truck and grabbed the rear drive line and tried to move it and it did the U joint was bad. A year earlier it was the front the drive line was bad.
  • rand63rand63 Member Posts: 3
    p38shocker, Was your vehicle a two piece shaft or one piece? Mine is a one piece shaft and I haven't found any sign of a bad joint.
    its a one piece
  • brettp1brettp1 Member Posts: 1
    the u joint right behind the carrier baring is probably out you might not have any play in it but they get full of dirt and grime and bind up causing a vibration mine did that same thing only it was between 20 and 35 mph its pretty common get that one changed and if that doesnt fix it change the one right at the yolk at the rear differential its one of those two
  • ramman85ramman85 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 99 ram 5.9 4 wheels drive with about 112000 miles on it...i have a ticking noise coming from the engine i was thinking maybe a lifter, valve or maybe even an exhaust leak. it mainly does it around 1500 to 2000rms....and i also have had a whining noise coming from the rear of the truck it sounds like, and mainly only does it until about 25mph...and starting tonight it kinda feels like i have a low rear tire due to a small whobble when i take off...can anybody help me and give me some ideas before it gets worse and i end up having to spend alot of money before it causes more problems...and ideas or info would be much appreciated...thank you
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Noises are very difficult to diagnose over the net. These problems require isolation and, unfortunately, you are the only one in a position to perform the isolation. Do you have idea which end of the vehicle the noise is coming from? Maybe you can enlist the help of another individual to ride in the bed while listening for the noise.

Beyond that, I can only recommend a good inspection of the under carriage for loose components or signs of damage. I suppose U-joints could produce a noise like you are describing, or maybe loose wheel lug nuts?. Over the years I've seen so many strange things cause even stranger noises it would be hard to speculate in this case.

Good luck and best regards,
    Dusty
    thanks for the advice...i drove the truck today and it was warmer than it was last night and i didnt hear any whining noise...it may just be a cold characteristic the truck has developed...thank you for ur advice...any idea what the ticking coming from the engine might be?
    Well, I think you stated this was a 318 motor. Valve or lifter clatter is not a typical issue with any LA motor (273/318/340/360), but it can happen on high mileage engines. I've personally never seen a soft cam lobe on one either, and even cams with tons of miles don't seem to produce valve train noise. There could be a bent pushrod or a cracked rocker arm, but again, in my experience these things don't happen to Chrysler V8s of that vintage.

If the valve train is noisy I've seen this caused by very low oil pressure, either by sludged oil galleries or a weak oil pump. There are quite a few engines that will produce a "tick" noise when the incorrect oil filter is used, although I can't remember a 318 being affected by this.

Other possibilities are a badly worn engine mounted fuel pump or a very loose timing chain.

If the noise is a distinctive and solitary "tick" I'd be prone to suspect an exhaust leak. An exhaust leak is very often confused with a noisy lifter, and vice-versa.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    i had the truck worked on when i was in iraq and the guy that worked on it replaced the timing chain (supposobley) because he said that's what was causing the tick...but it hasnt stopped or missed a beat...maybe i should just take the truck back to the guy who worked on it...i havent been back from iraq but for 3 weeks so surley he will still honor any mistakes he may have made...thanks dusty...your advice has been helpful.
    Good luck and welcome back. My son had two tours in Iraq with the 1st Armored Division, 1st Brigade.

Best regards,
    Dusty
  • dfales77dfales77 Member Posts: 1
    i have a tire rubbing noise coming from the front end. Its louder at lower speeds. There is no tire rub visible and no rub marks. The sound goes away at higher speeds and is louder at lower speeds. From park to reverse or drive it seems to have some resistance. Any ideas?
    my noise was the front driveline U joint. the way figured it out was,when I put it in 4 wheel drive it got worse. Hope this helps
  • arctecharctech Member Posts: 1
    I just wanted to post this info to help anyone else that may have had a similar problem. The other day I take my truck out and the "lamp out" light comes on. I look and the driver's side low beam headlight is out. I promptly swap a new set of bulbs in and to my surprise...the problem was still there. Thought it was weird that only on side was out, so I began diagnosis with the help of my service manual. Turns out that there is a "front control module" that plugs into the "integrated power module" (aka fuse box in driver's side engine compartment. This front control module is responsible for controlling the voltage to the headlights, for shedding electrical load after some time if you should leave the lights on, among other functions. This module also has a separate driver circuit for each headlamp. I would not recommend blindly changing this module is you should have a similar problem as it costs $229+tax. However after checking grounds and wiring harness continuity I felt comfortable that this was the problem...and it was. Another symptom that made me think it was the front control module was the driver's headlight would flash for a millisecond every second or so...I thought this was way too consistent to be any kind of wiring fault. Just some info on my experience, hopefully it can help someone. I am not a mechanic, and do not profess to be. Often times there is no substitute for a competent vehicle mechanic in situations like this. I may just have gotten lucky.
  • peteicmpeteicm Member Posts: 2
    I know everyone writes small post but I feel you may need to hear the whole story in order to help me I own a awesome 2006 Dodge 2500 Hemi Quad Cab 6' Bed Pick up. I love my truck for a about six months out of a year, I have a Knocking problem in the steering, you can feel it in the pedals as well. You don't feel the knocking at high speed usually around 25 to 45. After only having the truck 6 months i had it in the shop. the mechanic told me that my truck was the first of the dealership to have the problem, they called in some big shot to identify the problem, that was after they replaced the u joints the hubs parts in the supension, The final answer was the INTERMEDIATE SHAFT, I remarked something like you had my truck for a week, I don't even know what that is, truck drove great for 6 months then back agian. I have replaced the Intermediate shaft four times in three years, So just a month ago its back knocking agian i brought the truck to a different dealer, that said that it was the upper and lower ball joints I had them replaced, well now its still knocking and at 65 i have a quick vibration in the steering. I did tell them about my history with the shaft problem they disregarded it and made me pay 1500 for new ball joints and the problems are worse. Some one please help
  • jry1952jry1952 Member Posts: 1
    6 speed transmission shifter has a high pitch whine above 65mph. Whine can be stopped by physically holding the shifter firmly to one side or toward the seat. Is there a damper available to absorb the noise?
  • amygirl22amygirl22 Member Posts: 1
    I am hearing a hissing sound coming from under the truck. The truck is running just fine, air is working, breaks are fine. I just purchased the truck and had them check it and I was assured it was fine, but as most know seaking advice can be usefull. The hissing never stops, increases in volume, or decreases in volume. It can not be heard from the engine capartment, just from the side of the truck. I've never owned a Dodge truck so I do not know if this is normal or not. So if anyone has any advice or know something I may need to check that would be great. Thanks
  • myknannmyknann Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab with approx 74K miles. In the past week I have heard a squeaking and ticking noise when accelerating. I have also noticed since that time that the truck struggles when driving on the highway. I can do about 60mph but it feels like she is working pretty hard. I have read a few forums but I am in need of some assistance. I want to have an idea what is wrong before forking out alot of money at the dealer.

Mike
  • peanut26peanut26 Member Posts: 4
    I have a clicking type noise coming from the area of the right front wheel. Thought it was the hub, which was replaced with a factory part, noise is still there. Can hear it at lower speeds, but becomes very loud and faster after approx 40 mph. Noise does change with turning the wheel. :confuse:
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You didn't say which year, but do check your ball joints (upper and lower) and your track bar if it's a 4x4.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • kfredericksenkfredericksen Member Posts: 1
    I have a 04 2500 and today when i accelerate its making a metal in a can sound and is sounds like its from the rear. It only does it around 2000 to 2500 rpms. I checked the drive lines and they were tight. Anyone have any ideas or similar problem?
    Check your cat and muffler. That kind of rattle is a symptom of a rotted core on one of them.

• randyfrischrandyfrisch Member Posts: 9
    Bought my 2010 Ram 2500 TRX4 in Feb. Now, after 6,500mi, I noticed the first interior mystery noise coming from the headliner or dash on the driver's side. I know it sounds like I could easily distinguish where it's coming from, and even tried to lean forward as much as I safely could while driving, but can't pinpoint it. Not a really loud noise, just annoying when the stereo's off, because the rest of the truck is so amazingly quiet.
    Suggestion: have someone else drive so you can sit in the center position and move around a bit more freely to find the source.

• apa7770apa7770 Member Posts: 1
    bough a quad cab 2010 2500 after 40-50 mph,,unreal noise thru both front sides windows,,like air leaking. dealer just told me is the way the mirrows were design... Nothing they can do..any suggestions,,,,any recalls////
  • preemeropreemero Member Posts: 1
    I had similar sound it turned out to be a heat sheild on the tail pipe that protects the spare tire a weld broke I wound up tearing it of and the noise stopped.