Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Navigation System

Comments

• maynerdmaynerd Member Posts: 25
    Thanks for your suggestion ur251369 but I'm looking for something that is compatible with SD cards.
  • trex08trex08 Member Posts: 6
    Curious,
    When I store my own POI's they do not appear on the map unless I select the POI as a destination (i.e. take me to a previously stored destination).

Other GPS units I have used would automatically display any of your own stored POI's if you happened to be passing the area. This happens without having to specifically ask for the location to display.

So far no luck with getting the Honda Nav to duplicate this behavior.
    anyone know if it can do this?

2nd ?
    What is the best and safest cleaning option for the touch screen?
    I ask because many such devices are sensitive to some products that call themselves "safe for LCD" screens.

thx
  • legonicklegonick Member Posts: 3
    having read through this forum so far it seems the only way to move my itunes music to my PCMCIA adapter (and CF card) is to burn my music to mp3 disc and then reload it to my PC. I don't want to do this as it is a faff - is there a way to do it by exporting in itunes? :confuse:

all the music in my itunes has been from my own CD collection, so there shouldn't be any DRM on the tracks. thx
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    all the music in my itunes has been from my own CD collection, so there shouldn't be any DRM on the tracks. thx

1) It is possible that iTunes has DRMed your music by default.

2) You probably need to convert the music from Apple's ACC3?? format to a generic MP3 or WMA (if CR-V reads WMA). I am not sure if the CR-V radio can read Apple compresison.
    I just bought a scandisk 6 in 1 card adapter and put a scandisk ultra II 2GB SD in it - it was recognised in my PC, it did not work in the CRV.

However Honda (in the UK at least), sell the 6 in 1 card adapter with upto 8GB SD cards - so its all confusing. The website for those interested is: http://mail2.peak-uk.com/honda

I see you posted in November - so did you resolve this by now?

Thanks
    I got it sorted now through ipod lounge - I have my music in mp3 format and in works using a spare CF card. There is a way to reformat your m4a music in itunes into mp3.

On to the next challenge :shades:
  • cljorichcljorich Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Civic EX with Navi...I purchased a 6-in-1 PCMCIA card adapter by SanDisk. It goes for $29.99 at Best Buy. This card bears the logo "SDHC", and works perfectly in the Honda card slot. I currently use a PNY 4GB SDHC card, and the full capacity is recognized. I currently have about 650 songs on it, and about 400MB of remaining memory. All the songs play just fine. I'm thinking about upgrading to an 8GB, but I realize the system will only recognize the first 999 songs, so I may just get myself a 6GB. The SDHC specification is labeled '2.00' by SanDisk, so this PC Card adapter works with that specification. Hope this helps all of you with Honda/Acura Navigation systems!
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    I've been using a 4GB Compact Flash since I first bought my CRV last summer. It's worked great. 4GB capacity stores just about 999 songs, which is the absolute limit that the CRV will recognize. I actually use multiple 4GB cards and just swap them out depending on what I want to listen to. The only problem is that it takes a while to load a full 4GB card.

I saw an earlier post asking about whether it was possible to somehow disable the disclaimer screen everytime the car is started. Does anyone have a solution? That's probably the most frustrating thing about the entire system.
  • djbeatsgdjbeatsg Member Posts: 6
    Can you please post the model # of that particular sandisk pc card that has the "sdhc" logo? I've been searching the web and it seems some sandisks aren't compatible with the sdhc, which I really want because for my civic w/nav i already bought a 4gb sdhc card!! (using it in my palm centro, would love to sync everything up!) Please reply thank you!!!!!
  • glendon2glendon2 Member Posts: 5
    My daughter purchased a 2008 Honda CR-V LX. She works for NATO and shipped the CR-V to Europe. The Honda Dealers are unable to downgrade the Navi GPS to Europe Maps. Is there a software program out there that will allow to change from US maps to Europe.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "My daughter purchased a 2008 Honda CR-V LX. She works for NATO and shipped the CR-V to Europe. The Honda Dealers are unable to downgrade the Navi GPS to Europe Maps. Is there a software program out there that will allow to change from US maps to Europe. "

Did she try a European Honda dealer? Or if she is already in Europe, did she try the US Honda dealers?

You have to buy the Europe maps... it isn't an upgrade or downgrade.
    She went to a Honda dealer in Brussels and the European DVD is 3.32 version and the 2008 Honda CR-V is 6.2 version. When the European DVD was installed a message came up saying unable to read 3.32 version. I talked to Honda America and they told me the dealer should be able to use a setup disk and downgrade to 3.32 version. The dealer used the diagnostic disk and was unable to downgrade the 6.2 version.
  • pmazurkiewiczpmazurkiewicz Member Posts: 1
    I have exactly the same problem. Please let me know if you managed to solve it. Any official statement by Honda?
  • herosreturnherosreturn Member Posts: 1
    I agree with you, have you found a way to remove the disclaimer?

Also how can you turn off the Navigation and go to the clock only screen?

Also my blackberry has sent the honda my address book, is there anyway to see it and then apply voice to each address?

Apart from these little points the car is great!
  • ells123ells123 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, does anyone know if it's possible to purchase and install a Honda nav system in a base EX after we've purchased it? We don't necessarily want to go up to the top-of-the-line version of the CR-V (don't need all the "extras") but would like to have the Nav System. Thanks in advance!!!
    I think it retails for about $4000 for the part itself.

You are better off finding one used off a wrecked CR-V, or any other Honda/Acura that did not have climate controls integrated into the GPS/Headunit.

Aftermarket is another venue to pursue.
    Honda will not respond. The problem maybe with Alpine Copywright law. Alpine has not responded either. We may have to find a Hacker to get it changed.
  • fatjackfatjack Member Posts: 8
    I bought a 2008 Honda with a Factory installed Navigation for US and Canada.
    Honda and Alpine have not been of any assistance in trying to obtain a way to get the system to work in Europe.
    The GPS system is Alpine, using Windows CE and Navteq maps.
    My friend is having the same problem with his USA Merc using Alpine GPS/ Navteq Map.In the Honda with DVD in I get out of Region error. On his Merc the Nav system start up but is black - when he scrolls out and to the left he can view the USA with distance 4,000 miles.
    I compared the DVDs - MERC Navteq vs Honda Nateq and there are a few Gigantic Map files that are the same on both DVD. These files have the below extensions.
    *****.AR0
    *****.AR1
    *****.AR2
    *****.BAS
    I think if I can find the European version of the Map files in the correct format
    I can create a new DVD replacing eh USA for European map files.
    Any comments?
    If the concept is correct do you know where maps of Europe with the correct file extensions can be purchased or downloaded?
    Any help comments appreciated - thanks
    My daughter gave up on trying to get the navigation system changed to Western Europe and bought a Tom Tom 920 with european map and she is very happy with the Tom Tom.
  • dmcwdmcw Member Posts: 5
    I have an 09 CR-V with navi. When I searched for Subway on the navigation system, it gave me one in Pennsylvania, but I live in Louisiana. I noticed others have had the same problem. Does anyone know if this is a bug in the system? Is it just not possible to find the nearest location for the restaurant requested? It does fine if I already know the address, but I haven't had any luck finding anything using only the name.
  • bigdog999bigdog999 Member Posts: 6
    I have found that the Points Of Interests database is not very complete. The POI of a $400 Garmin Nuvi is far superior to the Honda unit.
  • natoshoenatoshoe Member Posts: 6
    Fatjack,

I just moved to Europe and have downloaded files which when burned stated that it is an older version of the software than is in my US system. I am awaiting my US DVD and wanted to try exactly what you were thinking, combing the two. Were you able to make the DVD by combining the two or can you provide me with some hints on what either worked or didn't work.

Thanks
    Made a little progress but no success.
    I now have a correct map disk. I later found out that the Chryslers sold in Europe are supposed to have the same map format. I loaded up the new maps all looked OK, however the next problem is there seems to be a region lock - so I got the same out of region message even though it has the correct maps.
    If you look into the system file by Cancel, Menu, Map hold for 5 seconds you can see satellites and time date is functioning fine.
    Ideally a patch is needed to sets the region code to Europe. That is way more then I can do.
    See:
    http://www.carhack.org/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=18.0
    Their patch is to reprogram your REC model Navigation unit to disable the In-Motion limitations. I doubt I will be able to solve this issue. I am thinking about detaching the nav unit looking at the attachments and seeing if by removing it I can at least use the other feature like clock set and door unlock. Perhaps buy another unit and use that? Keep me informed on your progress! Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply. The dealer wants 300 Euros for the disc and I'm still not sure that it will work due to the differences in firmware versions. It looks like others have tried the dealer purchased discs and the dealers still couldn't get them to work. I'm probably just going to buy a portable nav system which I can sell upon leaving and spend the next 3 years and many DL DVDs trying to make it work. If I discover anything I'll let folks know.
  • ykckbyykckby Member Posts: 30
    I posted this under another discussion in error so am redoing it here as a new subject......

I've searched the forum and find no answers on how to add bluetooth to the EXL nav system (I have a 2008). If anyone knows...please share.

However, assuming it can't be done for whatever reason (I'm not tossing this and buying an Acura) are there other nav systems with bluetooth that can be installed (ie replace my current system)? (Not being frivolous....I cannot use an ear piece).

My husband's Lexus has a completely integrated gps and bluetooth system....that is what I would like. Is there such a thing to replace what I have currently in my car.

Thanks
    Kim
  • chris156chris156 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, ypu might want to look at a canadian site caled liquidaudioshop.com

I bought an accord unit from them!!

Hope it helps
    Will the system work in Europe?

Robert
  • johnmchughjohnmchugh Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 CR-V with the factory navigation system. My wife was tired of having to use the laptop/gps in the car when we traveled. We live at the end of a long dirt road. While the system can (almost) locate our house, it refuses to route on "unverified" roads - including most of the back roads in our area. It also refuses to route on many of the streets in the nearest town of about 50,000. This greatly reduces the utility of the system since any idiot can find interstate exits. I want to use the system for exploring the countryside. I think that the failure of the system to provide even a "get me out of here" routing capability off the major highways should be considered a safety issue. If anyone has a modification to the software that would allow it to route on unverified roads, I would like to have it. I find it ironic that mapping software for vehicles that are nominally intended for use off the major highways should fail completely when the vehicle is used that way.
  • swingwingswingwing Member Posts: 1
    fatjack,
    A guy on the OdyClub forum was considering replacing his failing DVD drive with a Compact Flash/IDE adapter and CF memory. The adapters are on newegg for under $20. If this is possible, I wonder if you could load your "European" disc image onto the CF card, and avoid the out of region error?
  • jhichijhichi Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help.

I imported my CRV 2007 + Nav. from the state. It came without a DVD for the navigation, anyway My first concern is how to adjust the clock, it keep on asking for the DVD.

My second concern is how to get a Navigation DVD for the Middle east.
    I still have not had any success, had some near success but in the end did not work and burned a lot of dual layer disks. So my latest idea - I read on some sites about replacing the start-up nag screen. I have not studied it but looked and it seemed like there was a replace X file with File on disk. So if we know the command to replace a file, perhaps we can replace the USA .ARO files then find out how to add a file.
    Would love to just pay someone to get the damn thing working.

For the person who wants to reset the clock - remove battery cables - then reattache - you will need the Nav and stereo security codes
    You can change the time if you the original disc by placing it in. My US disc shows me in CA vice the Netherlands but gives me the ability to change the time.
  • terryp1terryp1 Member Posts: 55
    I'd like ot update the dvd in my '07 CR-V. I've read elsewhere that there is a problem. Here's the TSB on that:
    http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-051.PDF
    I got a letter that I hope is from Honda, and not from some other company pretending to be, offering the new DVD for $185, shipping included.
    But I've read elsewhere that even if I very carefully remove the old DVD, the unit might scratch it and ruin it.
    I assume the unit would do the same to the new DVD.
    I'm thinking of stopping by the dealer and asking them about this removal/reinstallation problem and asking them, just to show me and for practice, how to remove and replace the DVD. Thus any scratching would be done by them.
    Oh, and if Santa's reading, I'd like to know if the DVDs can be copied, and whether they're somehow made unique to each vehicle.
  • sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    Just had to weigh in on this talk if no one minds......

Had two Honda's with Nav systems, but this time around, I opted out of purchasing my new 2010 CR-V with one that cost $2,000 grand more, and got a 7 inch portable Magellan for $249.00 now on sale for $199.00 (black friday) at Amazan.com. Cost for a map update is $49.00 each time, not the higher Honda price. Toyota is even higher for their map dvd's.

Learned my lesson not to fork over so much money and now have a GPS that goes with me....

Good luck with your question terryp1
    Terryp,

Rest assured the DVD is easy to remove, I've done it multiple times trying to get a nav disc from Europe to work but there is a firmware comflict so I'm still navless in The Netherlands. Just open the screen console, open the little plastic door over the navDVD and eject it. I can't see the disc being in any more danger than a regular dvd/cd in any home player.

Although the little door that covers the navDVD player will shut on it's own when you close the screen console, close it manually first. This will prevent the little plastic flap from getting caught on the screen console and popping off. Still no worries as mine popped back on after it caught one time when I forgot to close it.
    I'd like ot update the dvd in my '07 CR-V. I've read elsewhere that there is a problem. Here's the TSB on that:
    http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-051.PDF
    I got a letter that I hope is from Honda, and not from some other company pretending to be, offering the new DVD for $185, shipping included.
    But I've read elsewhere that even if I very carefully remove the old DVD, the unit might scratch it and ruin it.
    I assume the unit would do the same to the new DVD.
    I'm thinking of stopping by the dealer and asking them about this removal/reinstallation problem and asking them, just to show me and for practice, how to remove and replace the DVD. Thus any scratching would be done by them.
    Oh, and if Santa's reading, I'd like to know if the DVDs can be copied, and whether they're somehow made unique to each vehicle.

Wow, that is some pricey DVD map. I hope they make it out of gold.

I think what you have heard was just hearsay.

As to having the dealer show you how to do it... good luck. They are not in the business of showing people how to do things that they charge for. I am sure if you paid them, they would replace the DVD for you, or show you how, but not for free.

If you are looking for bootleg copy, seach torrents. I doubt anyone would post a link on here, and if they did, mods would delete it right away.

Good luck.
    185$ is actually cheap and would have me concerned if I doubted the authenticity of the letter for an additional reason.

The DVD over here in Europe goes for 350 Euros. Although I could buy it tax free which would be about 280euros, with the exchange rate that is still over 400 $.

I agree that getting the dealer to do anything for free might be only slightly less painful than going to the dentist. Before this, just try it. If you can open your home DVD player, you can open this one.

Maybe one day someone will figure out the firmware conflict so that I can use my NAV system again but now when I'm driving in The Netherlands, it shows me in California as I have to keep my US disc in it to set the clock for daylight savings, what a pain.

Needless to say, I'm becoming a slightly disgruntled customer which is sad because it is such a fine vehicle (except the huge turning radius).
    Maybe one day someone will figure out the firmware conflict so that I can use my NAV system again but now when I'm driving in The Netherlands, it shows me in California as I have to keep my US disc in it to set the clock for daylight savings, what a pain.

I would just buy an aftermarket, or a Honda headunit from a junk yard for while you are in NL. And keep the US headunit until you return stateside.

There are a much better alternatives to the stock headunit. Which for the US market is made by Panasonic, I believe. The issues you are having are probably because the EU Honda uses Apline built head-units.

I would just get a Pioneer AVIC or similar Alpine unit. Worse come to worst, you get a cheap Chinese headunit with a 2 year life expectancy, and just junk it when it is dead. And if it is not dead by the time you leave NL, sell it.
    Thanks,

I agree with all that you said but I'd like to get it working because I may sell the vehicle over here before returning due to the strength of the Euro and difference in initial selling prices. I've been following the local used car market and basically at the current rate, I think I'll be able to sell it in '11 for about the same as it will cost me to purchase a new one upon return. It would be a good selling point to have the original in-dash functioning.

I believe that you are correct on the manufactureres but you appear to have more knowledge on the system. Which component are you calling the "head unit" and do you think if it were replaced by the referenced chinese head unit it would function.

One thing I haven't tried is to insert the disc, disconnect the battery and then reconnect to see if this would affect the firmware issue. I have a Norwegian friend who would allow me to borrow his European disc. Do you think this is worth the effort. Yes, I do have the code.

Thanks
    Shoe
    It is worth a try with the disc. But, I would suspect that because of the different manufacturers and possibly region related issue, the DVD will not work. But, it is worth a try. If it works, then you just buy the DVD from the dealer.

I think another reason you would want to get an EU spec'd headunit is the FM frequency range in EU is different from the US. I believe it is offset by 0.1 MHz.

I don't think that the relsale value is affected greately by having an aftermarket radio. If the buyer wants, you can offer them the choice of USDM headunit, or the EU headunit.

Another thing to worry about is that the buyer may not be able to register the vehicle in NL. I am not 100% sure, but I think the headlight pattern in the US is unique and may not pass the safety inspection in NL. You may have to check into that.

The cheap Chinese units are usually sold at Best buy as Dual brand, or similar should be available in NL at the electronics stores.

The nice thing about Pioneer AVIC is that you can change the background to match the Honda OEM graphics. I used Honda logo and uploaded it into the AVIC to make it looks like it was a Honda stock headunit, except for the small "Pioneer" logo on the lower bezel. I am sure other brands allow similar modifications.
    Yes I have the same problem. I copied the original DVD that got rid of the out of region error. Now when I have the copied USA disk in I can change the time etc. I think if we just have the correct .bas files and .ar0 files and did a find a replace it might work.
    Why it shows me driving around California while in the czech republic make no sense.
  • jayk_pdxjayk_pdx Member Posts: 2
    Just got a 2010 CR-V LX and I'm researching my nav upgrade options now. In terms of in-dash stuff (which I'd prefer) it looks like there are various choices from $400-$1.5K and up. I don't care about iPod control or video, but I want something that has a high-res screen and satellite radio interface. Right now I'm leaning towards the Pioneer AVIC-X910BT, but I've read it takes 30 seconds to start up, which sounds annoying.

It would be great to hear from anyone who's done this type of upgrade in a CR-V. What did you install? Are you happy with the unit?
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    http://www.hondasuv.com/members/showthread.php?t=38005

I have also read somebody put a Civic GPS to a CRV with a couple minor modifications.

http://www.crvownersclub.com is another good resource for your research.
    edited April 2010
    I have the older AVIC 700BT and it is a nice system, if you know your way around Windows OS. It is fully customizeable, but also comes with typical Windows OS issues.

Weigh your prefenreces, and then decide.

The 30 second start up is an understatement. It is not fully functional, i.e. the radio will play, but you will not be able to use steering wheel controls, or change the stations for a full minute. It takes almost 2 minutes to connect to the phone. While it is connecting the response to inputs is delayed.

Would I recommend it? Sure, I like the options that Windows OS allows compared to hardware based systems, most of which require you to have a map DVD in the drive.

I have made mine look like it was a stock Honda system.

Check out www.avic411.com for more info.
  • paidtoomuchpaidtoomuch Member Posts: 1
    I am very disappointed to have paid a large price for a navigation system on my 2010 Honda and find that the navigation system is out-of-date. The DVD says 2008, but I think it is at least 3 to 5 years old. My Nuvi Garmin was much better. I think Honda has an obligation to tell you that the navigation system is out-of-date. They referred me to Alpine who wanted to sell me a new (September 2009) updated map for $149 plus shipping and handling for my NEW VEHICLE. I have been pleased with Hondas in the past but will not buy another if this is not rectified. I feel that this is a deceptive practice. Judging from the posts on the Internet, Honda would have to know this is a problem. All the bells and whistles that came with the package are nice, but I actually bought the package for the navigation system which doesn't recognize state highways that were 4-laned years ago, addresses that are 3 - 5 years old, shopping malls that are at least 3 years old, etc. The voice recognition is another issue, but it does make me laugh.
  • crvdude1crvdude1 Member Posts: 47
    Honda is trying to cut cost in different areas. If they can buy 500,000 units of GPS for the next 5 years for a discount, they will do it. Most people buy the EX and spend another 1K to get a Kenwood or Pioneer in dash GPS headunit. However, you will lose some bells and whistles but at least you can pick the one you like and with latest maps.

I won't be surprise if any 2011 or even 2012 CRVs will still have maps from 2008.
  • coffeetimecoffeetime Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2010
    I have a Honda CR-V EX-L 2008. I bought a Transcend CompactFlash adapter ($6.90) and a Transcend 8GB CompactFlash card ($24.99). Both are purchased from Amazon. Both are working on CRV 2008 Navi System.

The Navi unit has no problem recognizing 8GB card. But it could only see 999 songs out of 1153 songs I encoded. I encoded MP3 in 192 bit rate. For 1153 songs, it totals to 7.68GB. For 999 songs, it comes down to 6.66GB. So you have room to bump up the "bit rate" at a higher rate for better quality sound.

I dropped all the songs loosely in the card without creating any folder. It takes a while for Navi to scan. You could tell the scanning is finished if you are able to scroll through the entire songs quickly all the way to the last one.

I encoded the songs using "Tune4Mac" on an Intel Mac. Windows user can use "Noteburner". I left it over night for it to encode. The software will convert all m4a, m4p (DRM), and aac to mp3. I used iTunes (required) and Tune4Mac together to encode. Just collect all 999 songs into a playlist and burn them onto virtual audio CDs. The virutal audio CDs are generated from Tune4Mac. Since iTunes can burn multiple CDs continuously, Tune4Mac can keep feeding virtual audio CDs on the fly. At the same time, Tune4Mac encode audio from virtual CDs to MP3. These all happening transparently because you won't see any virtual CDs mounting on your desktop. Once encoding is finished, virtual CDs will be flush out of cache and only MP3 files are saved.
  • sisqtersisqter Member Posts: 1
    I realize that I'm 6 months late here! but if you are still looking for the best total system for your 2010 cr-v, my months of research came up with the Kenwood dnx6960. I also have a 2010 cr-v and have this system (so does my friend).........Love it!! Excellent Kenwood stereo, the best resolution Garmin Nuvi nav, Parrot bluetooth and sattelite radio ready ( I got XM). I, as well, don't care about movies...but this can play them on a 5inch x 6inch screen. I'm very happy with all of the excellent components Kenwood puts in their systems. Just thought I'd chime in with what I know!! I'm surprised that any high end car audio place in your area (perhaps, you are in Portland (pdx)!) didn't steer you to the Kenwood. They are the best and for $1600 I got 4 times more quality than I would have gotten for $2000 with the dealer. If you have any questions you can email me at sisqsterrio@hotmail.com. Good luck (if you haven't already "jumped in" to the market. T
  • jcihakjcihak Member Posts: 60
    The Nav in the CR-V is the same design they had back in 2003. I had a 2006 Civic with Nav and hated it. The POIs were totally useless because they were many years out of date or in the wrong place. What a waste of $1700 that was!
    My solution was first to get a Garmin Nuvi for $150. But now I just use my Motorola Droid. Get a generic vent mount holder for the gps / phone and you can easily mount it to the right of the steering wheel - within easy reach, easy to see and doesn't block the windshield.
  • bmfcbmfc Member Posts: 9
    I took delivery on my 2010 CR-V w/nav in September 2010. Nationals Park opened in 2008 and it wasn't in the system. Citi Field opened in 2009 and it wasn't in the system. My dealer comp'd me on a replacement DVD.

Also, the POIs that you create do not appear on the map. On my Garmin, once you identified your home, it said "home" on the map whether or not you requested directions to your home. I recently was in a Mazda and a Lexus which had navs and both had better maps.

And how come the models with navs don't have the system to allow you to open your garage?