Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Electrical Problems

Comments

• tdawg14tdawg14 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 06 lincoln nava. with rear lift gate problem at first it would open on it own now it wont open at all. i have change da remote batt. reset the main batt. and nothing seems to work also checked all the fuses and relays nothing shows a short tested motor seem to be workin great rear door latch will not close tight as well everything else on the rear door works lights and all :mad:
  • rb62rb62 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 01 nav and the check susp light comes on every so often the ride seemes bouncy and there is a clicking sound comming from under the rear of the vehicle and the door ajar light comes on at times and know the radio lights flicker but radio plays fine, ????????
  • jueneorejueneore Member Posts: 4
    :confuse: my driver seat isn't working!!! like the other guy posted, im tall my wife is short! there is nothing under the seat and the fuse keeps blowing out!! what can i do???? o, i have a 2004 navigator
  • navdadnavdad Member Posts: 1
    I'm wiring up a Pioneer DVD/Navi head unit in my '04 Navigator and am trying to add a license plate mounted back-up camera. I ran a wire back to the rear hatch and tried to pull power off of the reverse light, but it kept blowing the fuse when I would put it in reverse. I double checked for a short, and could only determine that the wire I used was to light and the resistence was blowing the 10A fuse. (???) Has anyone wired up a back-up cam...any ideas on what is blowing the fuse or a different power source I could use?
  • ed1969ed1969 Member Posts: 1
    i have a fully loaded 2003 navigator and just started getting an error message when i start the vehicle stateing " prndl error, no park assist". Any one encounter this problem and if so, what needs to be done to fix it? Any help would be great.
  • nando2009nando2009 Member Posts: 3
    I have the same problem do you found out what fix that problem yet.
    Let me know thanks.
  • nando2009nando2009 Member Posts: 3
    Before i bring my truck in to have this prob. looked at, i figured i'd try here. Out of nowhere, my driver seat stopped working. It won't move in any direction, or inflate the lumbar system. When i try any button, there seems to be a slight click coming from the front motor under the seat. Any ideas? Fuse, computer brain??? Would 1 problem cause all of the features to stop working?

Thanks
    *oh, also, hitting the preset buttons dont make the seat move n any directions....THANKS
    I found out that my problem was that when I put the seat all the way down, it would pop the fuse, I must gone through 20 fuses and as I'm sure you know, those are not regular fuses. I just don't go that low anymore, and problem solved! I know that there is something wrong with the seat, but right now I cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars @ the dealership.
    It's the fuses, I had the same problem. Alot of the acc. go out too, like the power pedals... I unplugged the computer under the driver seat then I replaced the fuse, plugged it back and it worked,... U still have to get ur seat checked because it'll pop again..
  • xman2006mz5xman2006mz5 Member Posts: 16
    Battery is constantly dying. Then the clicking relay sound in passenger compartment. Then the door lock/unlock phenomenon. The driver side door switch (for interior lighting) seems to set it all off (at least the door unlock/lock part). Where is the door switch? Additionally, are there ground wire issues to be made aware of? Navigator is garaged and rarely in the rain.
  • m_cabm_cab Member Posts: 1
    I don't know what type of problem I'm having hut I'm assuming Its an electrical problem. When I start the car all the lights in the car go on and remain on until I hit several bumps and they eventually go off. That has been going on for about a month or two Now and just the other day all the lights In the car went on as usual, but they sort of faded out and then the radio went out and my drivers side window is unable to roll down. So then I tried to turn on the light switch in the car to make the lights go on and then the radio went back on and the window could now roll down. But the only way I can listen tithe radio or play the DVD player is if I drive the car with the light switch on the whole time, if not I'll be riding in a silent car.

Can anyone help me or has anyone hadthe same problem?
  • doe7doe7 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 nav just recently change the alternator. when the car is idle the alternator charges at 14v when the motor is reved the alternator stop charging so the volt meter reads at 12 and the battery will eventually die any suggestions
  • kjones10kjones10 Member Posts: 1
    I am getting this on my 06 Navigator. Did you ever get a resolution?
  • happycar2happycar2 Member Posts: 2
    swtich 203 needs to be replaced. You can swap it out with 201 or 202. This just happened on mine.
  • happycar2happycar2 Member Posts: 2
    When it's cold, the running boards don't come out in my Navigator unless I reset the battery. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
  • ayya314ayya314 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2002 navigator. the new battery i bought went dead. i can't get into my car ,the doors are locked. any ideas?
    Your key should open the door. Make sure the interior lights go out when the doors are shut. The back glass hatch should also be checked. Sometimes mine is not making good contact with the switch to turn the interior lights off.
  • ayya314ayya314 Member Posts: 2
    the key i have just turns side to side in the drivers door and it won't turn atall in the back gate
  • kaze1sdkaze1sd Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 Navigator that has failed to start twice in two weeks (a little over a week in between instances). Both times the radio also did not have power to it and would not come on. In both instances the battery meter read okay and all other power accessories (windows, locks, navigation, cig lighter, a/c, dash) worked fine. Each time tried turning the key multiple times and nothing (besides aforementioned electrical accessories coming on).

In both cases, opened the hood to make sure the battery cables were tight. They were and closed the hood. Attempted start... nothing. Tried moving the steering wheel different directions nothing. Tried putting in and out of partk and restarting... again nothing.

In both cases, finally gave up and made a call to AAA to have it towed back home. Each time 30-45 minute wait. In each case simply tried to start the car again and started up instantly along with the radio.

Does anybody know what the common link would be between the starter and the radio? Is there a common fuse or harness that I can check. Appreciate the help!
  • ratedr1ratedr1 Member Posts: 2
    i had the same problem till it didnt start at all bought a new battery and seemed to solve the problem, sometimes they have enough juice to satisfy a battery meter but when it comes to starting a car its a different story, if your alternator has never been replaced it might not be charging the battery either so you might want to check that out, hope this was a help...good luck
  • vasaiovicvasaiovic Member Posts: 1
    I needed to change out the battery in my 03 Navigator. Now my seats don't heat, back door does not open, and side mirrors have a mind of their own.
  • rainbirdrainbird Member Posts: 1
    I have a similiar problem. My wife left her GPS unit hooked up and the vehicle set for three days, battery went dead. Put charger on battery. Everything works but the heated seats. Checked all fuses, checked battery connections. What is there to do from here.
  • ray106ray106 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am from The Netherlands and have a Navigator all options since a year. Because there are only a few navigators in the netherlands there is hardly any knowledge about the car. Since I have the car, the display ( where you see the logo or the map or the audio) is running sometimes. When I drive over a bump or sometimes just like that. When it is running it isnot working because you cannot see where to push. I already spend a lot of money at the garage but they cannot find it. Does anybody recognize this or know how to fix it? The garage says it arenot the wires, it seems that they can measure that. But the big question is : what is it, and they donot know.
  • lou_kylou_ky Member Posts: 2
    got up on christmas morning went out to suv around 6 and the blower motor was running but the engine was off and the door was locked no key in the ignition, started the suv and the blower went off how it was in the off postion, so i turned of the suv and once off the blower kicked back on.......iam lost and dont know what it is does any one know if soo please help!!!!!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is there any possibility that someone else in your household had been driving your Navigator before you got to it? Just a thought.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lou_kylou_ky Member Posts: 2
    iam the only one, the engine was cold, it hadnt been running at all, could it be the jumpper harness that runs from the fuse box under the hood to the blower motor??or the oem moduel? Iam lost and on it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We'll have to wait for the Nav experts to chime in. My first guess would be a defective switch and/or bad thermostat.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • artman1972artman1972 Member Posts: 4
    ok guys my 03 navigator has been nothing but a pain in the but. I did a lot research and found out that when it rains these trucks leak water thru the windshield and short out the fuses and relays, eventually it burns out the fuse box or as it is called central junction box. i replaced the fuse box(cjb) and it fixed my problems. my truck would burn relays and it would not crank over and burn other fuses. eventually when we were at a gas station filling up it just didn't want to start. Usually fuses go out when stuff stops working. i looked around and found afuse box at ajunk yard and it cost me 45 dollrs and i was able to install it my self. and i do agree this is an over priced piece of junk . just for ur information I removed the air ride system and installed regular struts from an expedition.
    to mka e long story short i had the same problem . i replaced the fuse box because it shorted out fixed all my problems i had. and trust me i had alot of them
    i had the same problems i replaced the fuse box and it fixed all my problems this is something commom on these vehicles. my navi would not start then it would and i would replace relays and thenit would fixed my problems.
    replace the fuse box get a used one from a junk yard . My 03 navi had the problem it wouldnt start then it would then it would. alot of electricalstuff stopped working then it just stopped starting just crank over. it cost 45 dollars for the box and i replaced it my self. I know for a fact this truck are having that windshield leakage problem and causing damamge to the fuse box.
  • armywife07armywife07 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Navigator, and when it rains sometimes the horn will just start honking and nothing will stop it except for unhooking the battery. Does anyone know why it is doing this? I got the truck from my dad, and it didn't do it when we were stationed in Georgia, where it rained often, and now we live in washington, and it started going crazy. sometimes the air will come on full blast, the truck will not be running at the time, the radio will quit working... I'm trying to get this truck squared away before my husband comes back from Iraq. Any help????
  • gator99gator99 Member Posts: 1
    hello i'm have a battery drainage problem starts fine after charge but after parking car in the evening then in the morning will not start battery either drained completely or really low that car will no start replaced with 2 battery just to make sure that wasn't the issue alternator checks fine ,no obvious other issues .I also replaced a couple of relays checked relay readings with meter were different from other same relays so i replaced no difference 1999 Lincoln navigator .any help appreciated thank you
    There are many other threads in the Navigator forum concerning dead batteries & numerous electrical problems. I ran across this textbook that describes using a dc ammeter aroud the positive or negative cable to determine amp draw while the engine and keyswitch are off. Any more than 20-30mA or .02A-.03A is excessive. Then you can pull fuses or relays until the excess is found. Checking the glove box light, underhood light, and aftermarket amps should not be forgotten. I had to change out my driver's side door switch. I also had to adjust the striker plate on the rear hatch glass. Now, after a new battery it won't start. I feel your pain dude. In case you want the book; ISBN 0-13-113327-6
  • navigirl32navigirl32 Member Posts: 1
    we recently bought a 03 navigator. The mechanic was messing with the mirror switch
    then all the sudden the mirrors, driver seat and adjustable pedals all no longer work. Help!!! Any one else have this problem?
  • ben68ben68 Member Posts: 3
    I thought mine was possesed until I read this forum. The thing dances all by itself when it rains or snows.Toyota is taking a load of crap on thier problem. Why isn't Ford taking heat for this issue?
  • cchavez01cchavez01 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 06 navigator and recently when the car has been driven for a while and it is parked it will not start up again until I let it sit for about 10 minutes. I had replaced the battery about five months ago so I really don't think it's a battery problem. It seems to need to cool down before it starts up. When it does start up it starts up like a fully charged battery.
    In older cars I would say it is the starter. When it won't start try to tap the starter to see if it starts. If so, then you have found the problem. I suppose you could go to an auto parts store and see if a fault code shows. Maybe a code will show when it does not start. Autozone does it for free.
  • melindacmelindac Member Posts: 1
    bought a 98 navi and the blinkers blow the fuse, hazzards work even with blown fuse. help please. dont know if related but back vents wont work and back wiper wont work but back wiper spray does
  • ben68ben68 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Just sold 01 Navigator. Ford won't admit it but they have big electronics problems witht these autos. They cannot fix thier own products, I know I tried several agencies, One asked me to get the truck off the lot cuase they could not find the problem. That being said, I boiled it down to a leaking wndsheild, popped the old and put a new one in. On mine the GEM mod had gotten wet so that had to be replaced. This was the cuase of all my electrical problems, and there were plenty.
  • cardoc4cardoc4 Member Posts: 1
    hi im having a window issue my passenger window does not want to work it acts like its not getting power i changed the window switches and checked the fuses but i am trying to see what else i can resort to before i start following wires any suggestions
  • buklanbuklan Member Posts: 1
    I agree 100 percent! Never buy a Lincoln. Bad customer service and their car are nothing but junk. I have a 2003 Lincoln Navigator had nothing but problems after problem. No sympathy from the dealership after how many times I been there all they can say is "sorry". Well Ford if saying sorry is the best u can do, you've just lost many customers due to ur poor engineering and service. I should've bought a Toyota!
  • bgevingbgeving Member Posts: 4
    I have my "global seat control" unit out of the car. It looks like I am having the same problem with mine, the control module under the seat just clicks and the battery is draining.

Can you help me find the fuse on the board in any way.
    Even a description will help at this point.
    It's all surface mount and non labeled so it's pretty tough to find.
    hey friend, i havent been on in a while, i just noticed i had mail.... the fuse panel is located on the passenger side, if you sit down itll be right next to your right foot. you just pop off the little side panel and that will expoze the black fuse box. pull the cover off and youll see the fuses, the seat fuses are bigger than normal. hope i helped in some way!
    OH!! The way I read it was that you were replacing a fuse in the module it's self not in the fuse box.

Now it makes sense.

It's the larger fuses in the box.....

Thanks for the update.
    OH!! The way I read it was that you were replacing a fuse in the module it's self not in the fuse box.

Now it makes sense.

It's the larger fuses in the box.....

Thanks for the update.
  • chris241chris241 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    Recently had my car detailed. Now, the driver's seat adjustment controls only work for a short time, moving the seat in any direction I choose, however the travel distance is short: the seat stops, then when I reactive the switch the seat moves again a short distance in the direction I've selected. I can eventually readjust the seat to the position I want it to be in, but it's not working like it did before (i.e. smoothly, operating as long as I choose to select the movement). The same symptoms with my adjustor for the brake pedal (i.e. movement of a half inch or so, then it stops, and reactivates when I push the switch again). I've pulled the fuse (#109) and the logic module (#3) from the fuse panel and reseated them with no luck. I've checked, visually, all the connectors under the seat that I can see. The memory function and automatic seat retraction does not work now ... it appears that it "wants to", but because the seat and brake pedal only travels half an inch in any direction it appears something is limiting the movement electronically. The passenger seat works fine. Maybe I can just disconnect the battery and hope that something resets? Appreciate any suggestions before I throw myself on the mercy of the dealer.
    Your best bet would be to check the voltage at the Global Seat Module under the driver s seat. It contains the relays that control the driver seat movement, the power mirrors, and the power petals. The Navigators have an issue with corrosion on the power line running to the module. If you pull the seat module out you will find a connector that has two lines running into it. It will also have larger pins then the other connectors.
    That should measure 12V. I just finished repairing mine, it only measured 7 volts at the connector and my battery was being drained daily. Basically the corrosion was shorting the connection to the chassis ground. I ended up running a new line from the fuse box to pin 1 on the seat module power input. That fixed everything.
  • navihatornavihator Member Posts: 2
    Ok. So I have an 03'. Today was driving, stopped to run into the store and left it running. When I came up to the car I smelled a bad smell. Almost like a heavy coolant smell or something. I got in and the "check suspension" indicator was on. I figured I'll get it home and hope the compressor didn't go. As I was driving I then realized that the A.C. was blowing hot air. When I got to the house I went through the manual for any fuses related to both suspension and A.C. I found the fuse, number 11, a 10a fuse and it was blown. I changed the fuse and turned the truck on and the compressor ran and suspension raised fine, to my relief. But, when I went to turn the A.C. on it blew the fuse again. I tried several times checking other fuses as well but when I hit that A.C. button it blows just that fuse. I'm now noticing that when i turn the key back and forth on and off there is also a strange clicking noise coming from the fuse box. It also makes the click when engaging the shifter. Everything works fine except the A.C. is blowing that one fuse. Did I blow something else in the AC system that is causing this fuse to blow when I engage it or is it some kind of relay problem that is only effecting that part of the car? The only recent change I made was replacing the battery about a week ago after the old one kept needing to be jumped. I don't know if that is related or not. It was a week earlier and everything was fine. Then today, this just kinda happened outa nowhere. Could really use some much appreciated advise. Thanks
  • rb62rb62 Member Posts: 2
    Check to see if the compressor is froze up, it also could be a relay.