Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Fuel Problems

danfosterdanfoster Member Posts: 1
When the temperature is below 50 degrees and the engine is COLD, on KOEO the fuel pump runs continuously. This prevents the engine from starting. If you leave the key on for a long period of time (greater than 10 minutes) the pump will stop and the car will start. However, the engine runs very rich (with low power) until it heats to normal operating temp. Replaced Fuel Relay, ECT, and wide open throttle relays. ECM reports secondary Fuel Pump Circuit Failure (code 95). At a lost on correcting this problem. What can I test or check next?

Comments

• redhotlxredhotlx Member Posts: 1
    recently replaced the in-tank fuel pump on my daily driver t-bird. in the process, i kinked the return line and now have a leak. what is the proper way to repair this? will a dorman compression union work? (will it be able to handle the high pressure?) someone told me that ford offers a repair kit & special tool, but my ford parts dept is clueless.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Just buy a new fuel line. Why risk a fire? Fuel line is fairly inexpensive.
  • fieldsharryfieldsharry Member Posts: 4
    I'm a novice at auto repairs... I have a leak at the top of the line where the nozzle from the gas pump goes into the fuel tank. How can I fix this problem so that it doesn't leak everytime I try to fill up the tank?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    TAKE IT TO A QUALIFIED MECHANIC. DO NOT TRY TO FIX IT YOURSELF. IT'S TOO DANGEROUS!

YES, I'M YELLING!
    That's fine. Does that sound like something that when taken to a QUALIFIED mechanic that it should be pretty simple to take care of? Can I expect low cost or what? Thanks for the reply.
    There's not much you can do to it other than tighten the connection or replace the filler neck. They might have to lower the gas tank to get to it, though, so that would take a little labor. Shouldn't be really bad, though.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    why don't you try a triple bypass on yourself when you are done working on the car.
    I just might do that... people ask questions to get answers then you get dumba**es that try to make it funny. What's the purpose of the site??? Why don't you try growing up.
    Thanks alot.. That's what I needed to know. You guys should keep the a**holes off of here. It makes it look less professional. Thanks again.
  • stevo629stevo629 Member Posts: 1
    I bought this 1998 gt. It was hit in the passenger quarter and door. I am fixing it. Cant get it running. Seems the gas flow isnt there. I checked the inert switch, I changed the fuel pump relay. I changed the expensive fuel pump. No gas up the the fuel rail. I checked to see if ther is current to one side of the inertia switch. There is current when the car cranks. Any suggestions? also need the fuse locations on that vehicle considering I do not have the owners manual
    Need help?
    Is the a security system lock out?
  • mellor_21mellor_21 Member Posts: 8
    k my 97 GT wont stay running, when you engage the fuel pump by turning the key it will start but it just dies a second later and if you try and start it without turning the key back and re engaging the fuel pump it wont start, any ideas? i just replace the fuel filter today and put a bbk cold air intake on it monday night
  • specialedspecialed Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2006 Mustang GT Premium. The 'Service Engine Soon' Light comes on due to bad gas (too much sulphur?). I took the car in to the dealer and he said they will fix it again (This is the 2nd time in 16 months for this problem). He recommends adding Techroline (sp?) every 6 months (a few drops). Does this sound right? He said Ford is re-designing their fuel pumps but that since this is "not their problem", I would be stuck for future "repairs" once my warrantee runs out. They also cannot estimate how much it will cost to "fix" it again in the future.

Any suggestions? -Ed
    Stop buying bad gas. And check your owner's manual - it probably recommends against fuel additives.
  • baggs32baggs32 Member Posts: 3,229
    Stop buying bad gas. And check your owner's manual - it probably recommends against fuel additives.

Most mfrs do recommend Techron though, including Ford. I don't have the link but did see the actual article/site where it shows all mfrs who recommend the stuff because it was passed around on a dedicated Mustang forum. Mercedes and Porsche were included among others and apparently Techron works miracles without any side effects or engine damage. It is the only product that can claim that IIRC.
  • redcupidredcupid Member Posts: 11
    I just purchased a v 6 07 mustang in june, I have had terrible issues filling my gas tank up ever since i got it..
    every time I try to fill the tank up with gas the automatic shut off shuts the pump off,
    I cant even get a full tank of gas anymore even if the tank is at empty or especially at1/2 a tank, I have called Ford cs and taken it to my dealership also .

I actually took it to 8 gas stations today I got amounts like 22 cts 38 cts 98 cts $4.00 $198 and 37 Cts 17 Cts etc , I try shells, exxon, mobile, valero,Tetco & conoco.

The dealership tells me there is no fix for the problem it is a design issue with that particular tank and showed me A TSB bulletin on it describeing this issue as a Slow fuel filling issue, and no fix for the problem..Its more like a no fuel fill issue...

Ford says it is operating as design, Does that mean every 2005-2007 mustang has similar problems,
    I have actually allmost run out of gas and only could get 22Cts worth of gas in my car If anyone know anything about this please post comment ..Sick of my mustang
  • smeadows1978smeadows1978 Member Posts: 10
    I have an 05 V6 and had the same problem for about a year (as well as a problem with the fuel line which caused an annoying delay in acceleration). My dealer suggested replacing the tank, which they did, and I've never had the fueling problem since then. My advice is that If your current dealer won't replace the tank then find one who will.
  • cheesycamcheesycam Member Posts: 5
    RedCupid~ I also bought a 2007 Mustang in August. I am having the same issues you described- basically, being unable to fill up the car with gas. I took it in to the dealership I bought it at today and they showed me the same bulletin they showed you. The service advisor kept telling me there was nothing they could do. He told me that I would have to live with it. So I asked to talk to his boss. He really didn't want that happening, told me the guy was out to lunch, but he walked in five mintues later. The head guy (sorry I don't know the title) told me that they will replace the fuel tank as it is under warrenty (only has 7K miles on it). One of the above posts read that someone else has tried this and it fixed the problem. So hopefully that will do it. Basically, you are covered under warrenty, so don't take no for an answer! Good luck.
    Thank you so much for your reply I was starting to think I might be in the twilight zone , I guess the dealership doesnt want to fix it and Ford is just saying it is operating as designed, Talk about passing the buck !!...I will keep trying,
    Thanks soooooo Much
    Thanks, I have been driveing arround thinking I should start asking other people driveing new mustangs if They hate theirs too, I guess I have a lousy Dealership and Ford hasnt helped me either... I am not surprised a new tank fixed it, the Ford field rep that came down saw my problem,. So he tried to show me fuel tricks to try to get fuel in it they are not fool prrof and I ask him to take a 08 to the same station that we could not get Gas in with my 07 he said it would do the same thing ..... Guess what It filled all the way up with not one issue.... still the rep is saying that that is normal for 07 mustangs or blameing it on the sensitive gas pumps... I have heard it all.... I will keep trying
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    My '06 GT has had this problem on a couple of occasions but usually takes fuel fine. When the nozzle clicks off prematurely, try turning it 90 degrees to the opening and operate it manually.
    Thanks for the suggestion ccompson! I haven't actually tried that one. My new tank will be coming in next Tuesday, so after I've seen if it worked or not, I'll come back. Good news though! One of my good friends is a mechanic, and he got a memo on this specific problem through A.S.E, which is a mechanic thing. Anyhow, Ford knows there is a problem, is trying to figure out how to fix it, and it is thought that there will be a recall when they have the solution. We can hope!
    Ah the up side down trick !!! The Ford field Rep showed me that also. It did work on that Particular pump That day, But I had tried that before on some other pumps and it didnt wk at all It may have something to do with all the EPA nozzels on the pumps I live in larger metropolitan area. smaller towns may have more of the older pumps , that you can handle manually most of our pumps have one speed Fast !!!!! they wont let you press it slowely to prevent the problem...
    Let me know if your tank wks out no one will even offer to put one on mine. not sure if they think it wont fix it or they are waiting for the manufacturer to do something for me ,Its just strange. I was told the 08 tank has been redesigned and I saw that it fills up with no issues.But it will not fit on my 07 and another 07 tank would just be the same problem.I cant believe its so difficult even under warranty... .Like everyone said find another dealer .....
    RedCupid- I wouldn't give up on the dealer that you bought the car from. They are the ones that should take care of you. Lemon laws protect us from this sort of thing. Go in and demand that they at least try to fix it. I'm telling you, the dealership I was at, wanted to just send me packing. But I made a huge fuss and they knew they weren't going to just get rid of me. If I hadn't stood my ground, I would be in exactly your position right now. They told me three times that there was nothing they could do for me, and I kept telling them that that was unacceptable. They can't sell me a car that doesn't work properly, which makes it their problem (at least while the car is under warrenty).
    RedCupid- I wouldn't give up on the dealer that you bought the car from. They are the ones that should take care of you. Lemon laws protect us from this sort of thing. Go in and demand that they at least try to fix it. I'm telling you, the dealership I was at, wanted to just send me packing. But I made a huge fuss and they knew they weren't going to just get rid of me. If I hadn't stood my ground, I would be in exactly your position right now. They told me three times that there was nothing they could do for me, and I kept telling them that that was unacceptable. They can't sell me a car that doesn't work properly, which makes it their problem (at least while the car is under warrenty).
    I have taken it in 3 times and they are waiting for me to pick it up now ford extended my warranty too, But the warranty isn't helping me with this any way. They are still saying that Ford will not permit them to fix it as it is operating as per design.... I have heard if you take a car in 3 more times in to the dealership they must buy it back( lemon Law )even if they try to fix it or not .. They haven't heard the last of me. I will start screaming and throwing fits in the middle of the dealership as soon as I get my 2 service tickets.They have kept the last 2 from me they think I am really Blond....
    First, 2005 Mustangs had this problem much worse and for 2006 and 2007 the fuel tank was redesigned. However, people are still reporting this problem with the 2006 and 2007 tank.

It is not clear that replacing the tank on an 06 or 07 that had the redesigned tank originally will fix the problem.

Second, different pumps do produce different results. I have a 2007 V6 with 30k on it, purchased in 10/07. When I first purchased the car I noticed that I had the fuel fill problem at various different pumps in NJ. I was always able to do a complete fill up by moving the nozzle around etc.

Continued, After the first few months, the fuel fill problem disappeared and has not re occurred. :confuse:

People have stated here and on other forums that it seems some pumps are just 2 fast.

Third, Here is a link to a "pirate" fix. This repair is not approved by Ford and not covered by warranty. http://ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm

I wish you the best of luck trying to resolve this problem and hopefully Ford will figure out what the problem is.

Mark.
    Thanks for the info. Mark! My husband's a mechanic so I'll have him take a look at the pirate fix. I got a new tank this week and when I filled up, there were no problems. Hopefully, the new tank worked but we'll see. I had a almost 3K miles on my car before it started having that problem. Good luck everyone!
  • zman23370zman23370 Member Posts: 1
    are you or have you had any problems with the fuel gage as well?
    Yes, Just yesterday, It was right below 1/8 of a tank since 1/8 is all the fuel I can get now and my electric digital kept telling me I was running out it went all the way down to 23 til empty I was only able to stop 2 times a get a .58 in gas in gas each time praying it would get me to where I was trying to catch a flight, It is back at dealership and they are telling me Ford will not allow any more reports of my issue with fuel on the service ticket, trying to prevent me from lemon law rights my 5 trip to the dealer trying to get it fixed... Sooo Sick Of This I do have other issues too with car this is what is the unbelievable one that cant be fixed.
    There is a TSB on this as well, apparently sulfer contamination can mess the sender up that is located in the tank. Some fuel system cleaner my help if you don't have time to get to the dealer.

Its very important that you do not put generic gas in your car. Visit www.toptiergas.com to see what i mean.

FORD: 2005-2006 Mustang

ISSUE:
    Some 2005-2006 Mustang vehicles may have the MIL on with DTC P0463, or erratic fuel gauge concern. This could be from sulfur contamination present in the fuel. Sulfur will cause an open or high resistance on the fuel sender card leading to an erratic fuel gauge reading or setting a P0463.

ACTION:
    Follow the Service Procedure for verification and repair.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Perform normal Workshop Manual, Section 413-01 procedures to verify the concern. If the concern is verified proceed to Step 2, if unable to verify the concern do not continue with the TSB.
    Replace both the Fuel Level Sensor and the Sender Assembly (Sender card on the Fuel Pump Module) per the Work Shop Manual section 310-01.
    NOTE: BE SURE TO CHECK FOR DTCs IN ALL OTHER MODULES.
    :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: Thank goodness my ford dealership bought my Lemon 07 mustang back , There was no fix for it got to where the car wouldnt take any gas at any station and was sitting on E , This is a design flaw in the Tank and all the replacing tanks and parts is just to get you put off til your 12,000 mile lemon law wont help you. fight to return them to dealership, and get something else, I can put gas in my new car any time ANYWHERE ANY TIME OF DAY NOW NO MATTER WHAT INCREDIBLE.... :lemon:
  • clangerclanger Member Posts: 7
    I bought a used 2007 Mustang V6 from the dealer I work for! It still has problems fueling;even after they replaced the tank;and tried straighting gas line with plumbers tape.I have problems filling the tank the rest of the way at 1/2 a tank.It will take 20 minutes coaxing it.I have had a few nasty comments from people waiting in line at the pumps.If you have arthritis in your hands;this whole issue is maddening.I told the Ford Rep. how painful it was too pump the gas taking 20 minutes and it keep clicking off ;with my right hand. He asked me;whats wrong with the other hand? I do love mustangs? Don't you think these problems should be figured out before consumers get them?
    again, I was told to fuel upside down with the pump to get gas in by a ford engineer, then it overflows everywhere, That overrides the fuel shut off, Which if you read your owners manuel it says never let the gas nozzel click off over 1 time pg 42 so I started useing that info as the reason the fueling became more difficult to get the tank even at 1/8 after running it to E after 5 returns to dealership they finally said they would try to get Ford to do a buyback, it took many shop visits leaving it asking for rentals copying all gas receits one dayIi went to 15 gas stations and couldnt get past 1/2 of tank Ford will fight you not to replace anything!!! instead of makeing it right, That gas tank cant be fixed and that is what I was told even by service reps. look at lemon laws in your state on internet. I have a replacement now But after this I will trade it in later and I will never Buy a Ford again, after the agonizing fight I went through for 4 months their is a tsb report on this problem if you ask for it at your dealership that states it cant really be fixed it started on all 05- 07 models..
    It seems like Ford has a younger bunch running things;and making bad choices! Customer service does not exist anymore.I personally have always driven Fords;its all my parents ever drove.I will not buy a Ford again;and never a used car . I still love putting the top down in the mustang;getting off work;and having a nice ride home.I quess I still like the red mustang;only because I have a real red furry mustang at home! Thats why I didn't buy new;the real mustang needs food! You would think they would pull all the used and new left from previous years still on the lot;at least make sure you can fill them with gas! What is stupid;1 in 50 mustangs has the fueling problem from 2005 thru 2007. 3 years! At least a redesign for 2008.I usually have said do not buy first year models;so they can work problems out.So if I am still kicking in 5 years; buy a new Camaro? Maybe! ;) It seems like Ford would keep the loyal customers happy! I DO NOT THINK THEY CARE!
  • gino45gino45 Member Posts: 52
    I am considering buying an 08 mustang and was wondering if that model year still has the gas tank issues that were reported on the 05 to 07 model year.
    A Ford engineer was the first to tell me about how the 2008 was redesigned. I would like to put a 2008 next to 2005 to 2007 up on a rack side by side;plus I would take it to the pumps and fill it up to make sure;its not an issue. I will always be a sucker for the mustang.The Ford dealership you are buying your Mustang from;should be more than willing to let you do these two things;if not find another dealer. Just ask before you sign on the dotted line! Be informed! Ford or the dealerships do not want to be responsible for the modifications that their doing on the mustangs because they would have to be liable! :( Good luck!
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    I have an '06 GT and have never had a problem with fueling. I love my GT.
    Good Luck.
    I sold my 2007 mustang convertable;I traded it for a 2003 GT coupe;that has 17. 000 miles. A lady had it and took good care of it.I was amazed how much heavier it is to lift the trunk and hood on 2003. I miss the car I sold. I hope to buy a 2010.I am glad you like your GT! Dealing with Ford reps,advisors, engineers;was mind boggling! FRUSTRATING!!!!!!! I work for them too;it just made it all more complex! What a mess! Ford will have to do something. :cry:;) I wonder why I just do not go buy a Honda? I love having Ford's;but they do not deserve our loyalty. :mad:
  • timkellygpitimkellygpi Member Posts: 10
    I drove it on Saturday and Sunday and everything was fine. Did not drive on Monday. Got up to go to work this morning (Tuesday) and it would turn over but would not start. I checked the fuel shut off switch and everything there is ok. Any suggestions as to what is wrong would be appreciated.
  • drumhedddrumhedd Member Posts: 1
    I have this problem with my 05'. I turn the gas pump upside down so it is fueling downwards. It it the only way to keep it from clicking. You just have to be careful that it does not overfill, as the pump will not shut off automatically indicating your tank is full. Either turn the gas gauge on and monitor it while fueling, or fill it up from empty, no more than 14 gallons to avoid damaging the floater.
    In the state of California;you can not leave your pump.You can get ticketed for not being right there at the pump.I am small enough;I can not hold the pump upside down and watch the gauge.My gauge never shone full;even though it was! Ford never accepted responability for that either! My 2007 mustang is sitting on the car lot for someone else to deal with! I bought a 2003 mustang GT.At least it fills up and the tank shows full! The 2003 was made better;and is a blast;a little untamed!!!! But I cannot be happier.The 2007 was not worth the frustration! A big loss in dollars.Buyers beware! :);)
    :cry: :lemon: I wanted you to know ;people with arthritis in their hands cannot be turning pump upside down .I can not handle holding it down manuelly without automatic fueling option.Good luck to you;and enjoy your mustang! :blush:
  • seadogg330seadogg330 Member Posts: 1
    I've just read your message and I wonder if you were able to solve this problem. I bought a 2000 V6 Mustang brand new, a present for my daughter's high school graduation. She now works at some firm here in San Diego. Wednesday She drove it to work and parked at a parking garage....in the afternoon the thing won't start. The engine turns over but no start, got it towed to the dealer and it started as they were getting ready to work on it. Sunday she came to visit us, parked on the side street. After 2-3 hours, she started it ...sputtering.....and then dies. The motor turns over for restart but no start....Gas PROBLEM....HELP. Appreciate any suggestions.
  • timkellygpitimkellygpi Member Posts: 10
    The problem with mine was the modulator, that is the black box that the plug wires go into. I replaced that and haven't had a problem since. Hope this is all that is wrong with yours, but with the spitting and spuddering it could be the fuel pump. Not sure. Hope this helps.
  • ponydr43ponydr43 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2010 mustang. I love this car but have one issue I dont get. It has the computer that tells you miles to empty. the other day I took it to 8 miles to empty yet was only able to pump 14 gallons of gas in the car. usually it will take about 12.5 . My question is if it has a 17 gallon tank why cant I fill it to at least 16 gallons. also even after filling the computer says less than 300 miles are available. does this car get really bad mileage or is something wrong with my gauge.
    It keeps a 1-2 gallon buffer on the DTE readout for safety (same with E on the fuel gauge). What is your average MPG? Are you resetting it with every tank? 300 sounds about right if you're doing a lot of city driving.
  • mobygreatwhitemobygreatwhite Member Posts: 4
    recently round tripped from the great NW to San Diego and back.
    Multiple re-fills since then in my home turf.

Filling the gas tank was absolutely not a problem except for 3 stations in a row then one more later - all in southern Salifornia. With the very difficult to seal vapor trap on those pumps, I could fill more than a couple gallons before I gave up from all the pump stops.

Perhaps its not merely the car, is it poorly designed or maintained pump nozzles?
    I think California pumps are at the top of the game! But the pumps need to me the same in every state! Laws and requirements for the pumps need to be straight across the board.The auto makers I am sure have had night mares with all the requirements.But I feel sorry for people like myself who bought a used car;that was brought into this state by way of a car auction.It had real issues with CA. pumps;since the auto maker and car dealer would not stand behind the car I had bought!!!!!!! I traded it back to the dealer its on his shoulders to sell it to some other pour sucker???????? Who has it now???????? Sad isn't it???? I will never buy another used car again!!!!!!!!! Or a Ford!!!! They burnt the bridge!!! :lemon:
    How is that Ford's fault? Sounds like a California/dealer problem to me.