Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Element Entering and Exiting Rear Seats

after01after01 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Honda
i love the versatility of the honda element but am curious about entering and exiting the rear seats due to the suicide doors and stadium seating.

is it difficult for the elderly to access the rear seats? i ask b/c my parents are getting older so i need to keep their needs/abilities in mind for the future.

thanks.

Comments

• pronomanpronoman Member Posts: 1
    I've had my Element since 2004, and I don't think the suicide doors pose a problem - The front seat slides forward enough to give ample width access. The problem MAY be the height of the rear seating area...I'm 6'3" and to step into the vehicle, the floor is at knee height on me (and you have to hunch over once inside to get to the seat). So if they are just older: maybe not a problem... Aching or elderly: I wouldn't recommend it.
  • murrieta123murrieta123 Member Posts: 1
    I bought the Element SC. It is a different than a regular car to get in, but like the last poster said, the front seats do slide foward enough for easy access. My parents got in just fine. but out is a little different. I think you should be ok if your parents are healthy.
  • ragetsragets Member Posts: 63
    I'm considering the '07 Honda Element EX 4wd.
    Is it really easy to load and unload with the Elements doors and clamshell tailgate? I like the doors because they are different from all other cars on the roads. Info would be very helpful.

• mjp06mjp06 Member Posts: 4
    Getting in and out isn't all that bad but it is more difficult than an ordinary 4 door sedan. What you also want to think about is the lack of arm rests in the rear. My mom (in her 50s) was riding in the back seat and fell over sideways when I turned a corner. You're relying on the seatbelts to hold you in since there nothing much to grab onto.
    -Mike
  • mjp06mjp06 Member Posts: 4
    By far the easiest car to load and unload that I've owned.
    (well, except for my pickup truck but thats not a fair comparison)

-Mike
  • kjaba1kjaba1 Member Posts: 10
    Considering getting an Element for my two Newfoundland dogs but am concerned about (1) sufficient ventilation to keep them cool since rear windows don't open much and, (2) if I get the EX, does the available sunshade for the skylight give enough protection?

Has anyone had ventilation problems with an Element?
  • lab88lab88 Member Posts: 24
    The Element cools down pretty fast since it's not that big, but your dogs might miss the rolled down windows. I like being able to crack the windows and not have to worry about my dogs sticking their heads out the windows, since I don't like them doing that.

My parents and in-laws all have an awkward time getting into the back seat. Everyone does. It's not that it's hard, it's just that it's a different movement. I'm so used to it that I have an awkward time getting into a regular car seat now, and I'm young and relatively fit. Everyone has an extremely easy time getting into the front seats. They are a great height, I think.

Oh, and the trick to the rear doors is to always let the rear passengers enter and exit first. You pop the front door open but don't get out. The rear passengers get out, close their door and walk away, and then you get out. Reverse it to enter. That's for tight spaces.
  • bigfurbigfur Member Posts: 649
    Just a side bar for the dogs hanging their heads out the window...as much as they enjoy it, its very bad for their ears.
This discussion has been closed.