Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Optima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Ok kids I got my baby, 2011 Hybrid with Premium Tech Pkg, White exterior/ beige interior. $349.00 total per month (inclusive of NJ Taxes). I did not pay anything at all today, they waived the first payment. So I only have 38 monthly pmts of $349.00. Now, this is the confusing part even for some one like me that is a numbers geek, ready??? here is it.

*MSRP 32,250
    *Residual 15,480 or 48%
    *15k miles per year
    *Months 39
    *Negociated price of the car (I am taking this from my papers) $29,647.02 then they applied 3,400 of incentives (gang, I have no freaking clue what incentives they gave me and I did not even ask). So I guess the new cap cost came to $26,247.02
    *They rolled all fees into the lease pmt as follow (Title and reg 282; Lease aquis fee 595; Doc Fee 399; Tire tax 8).
    *Since I had a freaking negative item in my credit I did not get their tier 1. had I gotten the tier 1, I had negociated my monthly pmts at $310!!!!!!! again, NOTHING DOWN, NO FEES DUE AT INCEPTION, NADA, ZINCH, NIET,

So if you take into consideration that they rolled over the fees (total $1,283) that is like an incentive (sort of speak) as I would had to shell out that $. Again, at the end ,I could care less how they manage to get me in this baby for $349 without me taking out my credit card or check book. I am a very happy camper.

And if this can help anyone, this is how I operate. I always buy my cars in Dec. I start looking first week and then demand quotes second week and then close deal usually the 3rd of 4th week of Dec. I never go at night time, I go during the day and always start with internet inquiries and press at least 3 dealers. I usually go on what I call "slow days" like Tuesdays or Wednesdays (I know, I am kind of weird that way:>). I am one of the only 5% in these forums that never put $ down on leases (always zero cash cap cost reductions, hey carman proud of me??? I do listen to you! But as a disclaimer, I do have a beat up commuter car so that give me some leverage as I can wait to get the deal I want and how I want it. I have a new name for this type of car ECONOLUX...I mean, its pretty economic and has so many features that only luxury cars will come with (at a very hefty price tag).

Signing off, A very happy KiA OPTIMA HYBRID owner. Merry xmas everyone and happy hunting.

p.s. The Dealer was Freehold KIA in Freehold NJ. I will be posting future postings in the "KIA OPTIMA DRIVING EXPERIENCES" as I would like to share how the car is holding up.
  • XxHaimBonxXXxHaimBonxX Member Posts: 135
    edited December 2011
    similar to what I got. They applied $4000 worth of "incentives" to lower the sale price of the car and make my payments $326 a month. Even though I learned how a basic lease is calculated, I still haven't figured some numbers on the contract. Did you see how low the residual is? Mine is around $13K. That's ridiculously low for a 3 year old car. Makes me want to buy it at the end if it won't give me any problems during my term.

How do you like driving a kia hybrid? I think it's great overall, if not for a slow paced acceleration. It kinda transferred me from an aggressive driver to a old fart overnight.
  • greetingsnygreetingsny Member Posts: 13
    Kudos! I think the deal is great and the car is wonderful. In my own searches Freehold NJ came on top but it was too far from me to go there and get mine, so in the end i went local with their price in hand and got myself an Optima SX fully loaded for $27,800.

Now that I have almost 1000 miles on it, I swear it is handling at least as good as the A4 it replaced with more power, more amenities, more room and $14,000 less. The only thing it misses is quattro.

Well done! Merry xmas!
  • rico23rico23 Member Posts: 29
    I am currently in the market for a 2012 SX with the premiumand tech package. I was wondering how much people have paid for it as well as OTD price? I understand that taxes, tag and registration are different between states but just want to have some type of frame of reference. Im interested in outright buys not leases. Thanks in advance.
    was that with the tech and premium package?
  • haggardhaggard Member Posts: 92
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like you got what you wanted and then some. Congratulations!

I am in PA, now working with a NJ KIA dealer after not getting anywhere close to Edmunds forum deals on a Sonata (can't believe I am doing KIA, after my '06 Sedona experience I said never again, but the reviews, numbers and test drive have me taking one more chance :surprise: ). I am trying to use your numbers as a bargaining tool but have to get a little more precise.

Based on what you've provided, I backed into your $349 pmt on leaseguide.com using the following scenario:

MSRP: 32,250
    Base Cap Cost (Negotiated Price): 29,647
    Costs Added To Lease (T&R, acq, doc, tire): +1,284
    Cap Cost Reductions (Incentives): -3,400
    Adjusted Cap Cost: 27,531
    Residual (48%): 15,480
    Money Factor: 0.00093
    Sales Tax %: 0
    Term (months): 39
    Monthly payment: 349.00

I know, in reality, there is sales tax in this deal somewhere. But, based on "costs rolled in", "incentives" and "negotiated price", the only way I could see getting to that price was by zeroing out the sales tax and playing with the MF (which, in this scenario would be 2.23% interest) until it gave me a $349 monthly. Also, the only way I can get to your "new cap cost" of 26,247 is to subtract the "costs rolled in" from the adjusted cap cost calculated by leaseguide.

Please do not take this as criticism. In effect, it may be that they gave you even more than you thought. It appears they gave you another $349 the first month and covered your sales tax too! So, I look further into the details so I can speak confidently about what you got in the hope of duplicating your success.

Two questions, if I may? Since you have your documents, could you share: 1. MF
    2. Sales tax %

Thank you in advance and, again, congrats on your deal! Merry Christmans to all!
  • rjorge3rjorge3 Member Posts: 144
    Hi Haggard, yes there is a "UPFRONT TAXES" of $98.19 and then it mention again in anothe section of the doc "TAXES" $1,028.62 (this was part of the Itemization of Gross Cap Cost". And I think my money factor was higher and I dont see it in the doc. This is what my lease doc states, verbadum:

*Your monthly payment is determined as shown below:
    A)GROSS CAP COST $31,958.84
    B)CAP COST RED $3,400
    C)ADJUSTED CAP COST $28,558.84 (A-B)
    D)RESIDUAL VALUE $15,480
    E)DEPRECIATION AND ANY AMORT AMOUNTS $13,078.84
    F)RENT CHARGE $532.16
    G)TOTAL OF BASE MONTHLY PMT $13,611 (E+F)
    H)LEASE PMTS 39 MONTHS
    I)BASE MONTHLY PAYMENT $349 (G divided by H)
    J)MONTHLY SALES/USE TAX N/A
    K)TOTAL MONTHLY PMT $349

In another part of the lease doc it indicates:
    *Amount Due a Lease Signing or Delivery:
    Cap Cost Reduction $3,400
    First Monthly pmt $349.00
    Refundable sec dep N/A
    Refundable Reconditioning reserve N/A
    Title Fees N/A
    Registration Fees N/A
    Trade Tittle Fee N/A
    UPFRONT Taxes $98.19
    Total $3,847.19

*Itemization of Gross Cap cost
    -Agreed upon value of the vehicle $29,647.02
    *Other amts included in the gross cap cost:
    A)Taxes $1,028.62
    B)Title and Registration fees $281.70
    C)Lease acquisition fee $595.00
    D)Document fee $399.00
    E)Prior credit or lease balance on trade-in-vehicle N/A
    F)Tire tax $7.50
    Total Gross Cap cost $31,958.84

So, I still after having leased 4 vehicles in the past could not understand certain things in this lease doc, but at the end, after all my research, I was zeroing in a price target around what I got it for. I hope this will help you somewhat in your negociations. Let me know. And remember, as I had stated in my prior post, I did not pay any $ out of my pockets and they waved the first payment, so whatever fees/taxes etc I had asked them to included in my lease calculations.

Quick note, went to two xmas party yesterday, had many people drive with me, the freaking could not believe all the things this car came with. They kept saying "A KIA" "Are you kidding me" "And you paying how much??" I am bringing my neighboor to check the SX next week, he really liked the car and the price.
    Yes, fully loaded, 2012 SX, touring premium and technology plus some other minor things like cargo mat, bumper applique, etc, MSRP $31,895, negotiated down to $27,800.

Good luck, the car is awesome, I love it, don't drive it in ECO mode when you test drive it, put that only on the highway.
    Thank you, rjorge3! Everything is there except the money factor, which I can get to after plugging in all the other details. This will be very helpful.

Enjoy your new ride!
  • rktbrkrrktbrkr Member Posts: 15
    I've been looking for an EX Turbo but everything is loaded up with both factory pkgs and after market appearance etc packages pushing the price up to near $30K, is that everybodys experience?

I'm not going to play that game, I can see the new US production is filling the lots with loaded up turbos and eventually they'll start producing models without the packs, I'm patient, I can wait.

Just curious if everyone runs into this, low ball prices posted on ZAG with discounts and rebates nobody qualifies for and then you go to the dealer and face thousands of dollars of add on packages many don't want.
    Ok thank you, and just to make sure... the $27,800 was not OTD correct?
  • rmichnowrmichnow Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased the EX (2.4L 4 cylinder - Not the Turbo engine) with Premium Package (no Tech. Package) and specific exterior and interior colors (my daughter's requirement). Started off negotiating with my local dealer using the lowest Zag price in the NJ/NYC area. Since my local dealer did not have the trim/configuration/color in stock, the use of Zag pricing was ineffective.

Eventually, drove down to the dealer with the lowest Zag pricing (approximately 25 miles from my house). The dealer also did not have my requirements in stock. However, the dealer was able to locate the car, stuck to the Zag pricing and charged me an additional locator fee. Even with the additional locator fee, the Zag pricing for this dealer still beat out their closest local competition via my Zag research (Did not want to drive to Brooklyn or Queens to buy a car). I ended up paying $2,400 below invoice (this includes the locator fee, as well as, the $1,000 competitive incentive).

Note that I was very specific with the Sales Person that I would not accept any dealer installed accessories (i.e. appearance) and/or services (i.e. dealer prep., window etching, additional warranty).
    $27,800 was the negotiated price not OTD.
  • jrumermanjrumerman Member Posts: 6
    Hi Everyone,

I was surprised based upon messages from Nov on this board when a dealer quoted me a residual of 52% for an EX 39/mo 12k miles/yr lease.

Based upon what I read, it was 57% back in Nov for a 15k lease, which indicates that the 12k lease was 58%.

Can anybody confirm what the dealer said? It seems like a large drop.

Thanks! Joel
  • d_frinkd_frink Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2012
    I have been informed in another part of this forum by car_man that Kia Motors Finance's January 2012 buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 39-month lease of a 2012 Optima EX 4-cylinder with 12,000 miles per year are .00095 and 56%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tier.

Hope that helps
  • wolfpack99wolfpack99 Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2012
    Car_man or others,

Is it possible to get a lease for the Optima EX with premium package with 20,000 mile allowance? I'd love to know the lease numbers on that if possible. Thanks!
  • zobrist18zobrist18 Member Posts: 5
    You buy additional miles up front for .15 compared to .20 if you wait until the end. With inflation and the expected resale value I decided on the lease I just did not to buy extra miles. I'll just stash extra money away.
    A key question to ask also is does buying extra miles lower your buyout. If not and you buy the vehicle at the end it will be like double paying
    Thanks for the responses! I would probably not be interested in purchasing after the lease, so that wouldn't be an issue.

So if I buy 5,000 miles per year at 15 cents per mile, I'd be adding $2,250 to the price. How does this affect my lease numbers? What MF and residual would I use?
    The residual stays the same as the 15k lease. The money factors are low so take the $2250 divided by 39 and figure 1 or two dollars per month for lease charges and you should be pretty close doing quick math in my head about $60 more per month.
    edited January 2012
    Thanks again for the reply.

Here is one deal I have been offered:

EX with Premium Package and a few add-ons (wheel locks, cargo net and rear bumper film)
    MSRP: $26668
    Selling Price: $24850
    Additional Mileage: $1950
    Lease Incentive: deduct $1,000
    MF: .00095
    Residual: 55%
    NC Tax: 3%
    Doc Fee: $585.50
    Tag Fee: $89
    Lease Fee: $595
    Monthly Lease: $368

What do you guys think? I'm hoping to get them down a little more to get my payment down to $350ish.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    I might have missed the OP where the reason for leasing v. buying was discussed, but IMO your monthly payment doesn't seem particularly better than it would be if you just bought it & sold it later.

For instance, in September my wife bought a car for $23,300. Add 7.25% IL tax & various fees and with $4K down payment her monthly payment is $328. Compare that to your $24,850 price & $368 payment. I don't really see a lease advantage unless you're putting virtually nothing down.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • XxHaimBonxXXxHaimBonxX Member Posts: 135
    This is really not the buy vs. lease threat, but to answer your question, his payment is enormously high. That EX would run around $250 a month with nothing down. For example, my fully loaded hybrid having MSRP $32K is around $350 a month lease. He shouldn't of lease to begin with since he is paying for extra miles before he even had a chance to drive them. If you drive the car a lot, definitely buy it and drive the wheels off. But on low miles, the car like Kia still looses so much value, that by the time you're done paying it off, the car will be worth around $5,000 on a good day. That's loosing more money in my view.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Agreed all around.

There are lease threads for every car so questions about the lease would be more appropriate there than in this, the "buy" thread.

If you drive a lot of miles, buying will almost always be better financially than leasing. Doubly so on brands with higher depreciation rates.

Personally, I buy & keep my cars for 8-10 years. I get the full value for my dollars. "Resale value" really becomes a non-issue; condition is more important as a selling price determinant on older cars.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    Thanks for the replies guys. I agree this should be in the lease thread. I just happened to post int he wrong one. I will post over there so as to keep things on track.

As for the leasing versus buying, I am interested in the lease because we change cars so frequently. I like the idea of a lower payment, no money down and saving the up front tax you have to pay when you buy.

I still haven't been able to strike a deal yet, so I'm still looking. I know the payment is high, but the purchase price of $23,850 seems very good. I add about $2,000 to that to purchase the miles and then the other fees listed above. Using the .00095 MF and 55% residual the payments appear to be correct.

I would love to save more money, so I'm going to keep pressing on. Thanks again for the input!
  • dang2323dang2323 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all

Just a little over a month ago I went to a local dealer looking for a 2012 EX. However, the dealer had more than a few 2011's still on the lot. So I test drove a 2011 EX turbo with premium package and didn't look back.

Final price before taxes was $22,800. This price did include rebates.

Love the car! And the price was incredible for everything the car gives you. Car is handling nicely in the snow too (Buffalo, NY).
  • skins2357skins2357 Member Posts: 6
    Hey everyone,

new poster here looking for info from EXPERIENCED ppl on the optima. My wife and I are looking for a new car to BUY, Iv read most pages but it seems like most ppl are leasing the optimas. Is there a certain reason for this? Also, how is the Optimas relaibility records, especially from those who have owned them for a bit on here? Im going to look at one in person and was not sure if it should be a serious though, or what. Right now I am looking at Nissan Altimas, Subaru Legacy and the Kia Optima and am trying to keep the total as close to $20,000 as I can (. I have read all the stuff online, but am looking forward to advice from real ppl who actually own/lease them. Thanks for all the advice ahead of time!
  • snowman22snowman22 Member Posts: 109
    I think your price is in the ballpark. I bought my loaded hybrid Nov.15th with every option available--rolled in all rebates "at the time" rolled in all NY tax and all dealer fee's "they even paid my first months payment" except license--$69.00 and my monthly for a 38 month lease is $396.00. Remember this is loaded and no money out of pocket other than $69.00. Hope this info helps you make a deal.
    Don't forget a current Mon Kia reg is worth an extra $1000.
  • steve3752steve3752 Member Posts: 1
    I just looked at Optima and found they all had add ons like rustproofing, fabric protection, pin striping etc. Very bogus.
  • refinow2003refinow2003 Member Posts: 5
    Should had looked at your post before I bought-- could had saved a 1000. OTD $$29731.58 for a SX which stickered at $31,795 including freight. Included $400 for tire and wheel replacement for 5 years (at the hard sell financing desk) if they got damaged by pot holes here in Colorado. Easily can happen with these 18 inch wheels and last car I bought was a 2002 Olds Aurora with 13k on it and yep broke 2 wheels going over a curb I did not see and blew a tire in a parking lot!. Still driving the Olds with 149k v-6 and I figured if I was going to keep a car another 9+ years I might as well get it loaded and that got better mileage than the Olds. OTD includes taxes and the notorious dealer prep crap. My Olds qualified for the competition rebate and got a $500 financing bonus which offset the dealer prep. Looked at Sonata and other Kia dealers and the Kia guys were really close to each other in price and Sonata dealers were not taking much off the price plus Optima has cooled seats which no other manufacterer can touch at this price new, however I did not go to all like Lexus and Acura to compare. Waiting to pay the high license plate charges which include in Colorado bridge and road fees which are another way to tax the public because we have the Tabor amendment which limits taxes but state goverment has found ways to work around it.
  • refinow2003refinow2003 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone see this article in March 2012 Car and Driver regarding the 535 BMW wheels? Go to this article- now I am glad I purchased the wheel and tire insurance Wrap-Up: 2011 BMW 535i at CarandDriver.com also read the comments from the public below the article.
  • scrapalarascrapalara Member Posts: 7
    Hi, all. Just joined after reading lots of good information on this forum. Currently negotiating with 3 dealers on a 2012 Optima EX with premium package (no technology, no turbo). Current lowest price, including $1500 in Kia incentives (competitive; auto show) is $21,675 on a window sticker of $27,065. Started from a zag.com base of $22,400. Do you think there is more $$ on the table? New to new-car negotiating. After reading forums, I'm not including tax, tags, doc fees, etc. in this post.

I have also not begun any negotiations for trade. Dealers are all in northern Illinois.

Thanks for any feedback!
  • michael2595michael2595 Member Posts: 72
    If thats a great deal.. I am just beginning to look, they are going to screw you on the trade... depending on how old the car is and if they sell it to a wholesaler I went on a site of a wholesaler that quoted me a price for my car and the price the dealer gave me was exactly the same.. I sold it my self and made 2 grand more after spending 300 on getting it detailed.
    I haven't discussed trades with any dealers. I don't expect to get top $$ for a trade, but in my state, the cost of the trade comes off the price of the car when computing tax, so it may be worth the difference (when you also figure in hassle of selling independently). I don't know yet.

I interested in whether the price given me by the lowest priced dealer is reasonable, or if there is more room for negotiation.
    It is not only reasonable, it might be too good to be true.

The EX you describe has an invoice, according to Edmunds, of $25,195 including destination. Your deal is $3,520 below invoice. Even if you are getting $2,000 in rebates, that still means the dealer is giving you his entire holdback of $650 (3% of EX base invoice) PLUS another $870.

Some possibilities:

1. There is a lot of unknown dealer money out there (which we would hope Edmunds would be aware of).

2. They know you have a trade and are planning to get it back there or, if not, they will change the deal.

3. You are being lied to in order to get you to closing.

If you are basing your expectation on a ZAG or TrueCar price, be careful. I speak from experience, that is the biggest bait-and-switch game out there.

I've seen some deals on this and the Optima lease thread that just didn't add up. Every time I tried to replicate, even at the same dealer where one of those amazing deals was supposedly done, I would come up well short of the target and they were not in any hurry to chase me down when I walked away.

Good luck, and good for you if you get what they are promising. If you do, could you please post ALL the details so we can see what we may be missing?

Thanks.

Haggard
  • michael2595michael2595 Member Posts: 72
    Haggard,

I scatched my head after reading that post and forwarded it to my son who is in the market for one who then went to the dealer. My son called me back asking if I was drunk. The dealers son is in grad school with my son.. Go figure.
    One dealer I briefly worked on a deal with told me that there are more and more salesmen (not coordinated by dealers, of) that create online accounts and post outrageous deals to drive business. She said that is why you rarely get all the details, they are just doing the job online, in advance.

Then again, considering the source, that story may be no more true than some of the deals posted :confuse:
  • cmjfcmjf Member Posts: 1
    Just bought last week in the Philadelphia suburbs. White 2012 Optima Ex non-turbo with both the tech and premium packages, cargo tray/net and wheel locks. $26.7 OTD. So far, very happy.
    I have four quotes so far - 2 dealers have given me a stock # for the vehicles they are quoting. All are offering the same $1500 in Kia incentives. My 3 low prices are:

$23175- $1500

$23906- $1500

$ 24875- $1500 (don't have the color combo I want, but "they can get it"). Only other $$ they discuss is title/tag work (all 3 quoted the same amt, which I verified w/my state DMV) and doc fees, which average about $165 per dealer, and, of course taxes (sigh).

I've only been dealing via email thus far. Plan to hit the phone tomorrow and visit the two lowest price dealers to see what's what. Will definitely report back. Wish me luck! :-)
    edited February 2012
    Haha - I just figured out you might be talking about me? Nope, just a teacher trying to watch her hard earned cash. I'm finding the whole process amazing - didn't ever considered the idea of asking car dealers to bid for my business before. I've learned a lot about this whole process just by spending some time on this forum (thanks, everyone!) Kind of looking forward to the experience tomorrow of sitting down at the dealer with their emails in hand and having a discussion about closing the sale. I live not too far from Chicago 'burbs so lots of dealers to choose from.

Again, wish me luck! Will report back tomorrow!
    edited February 2012
    OK: Reporting back on my experiences today.

You were right on quote #1. A callback determined that the $23175 was for a demo (2500 miles) and so the $1500 in incentives would not apply. They offered a new car w/0 miles at essentially the same price. ($24,780-$1500 incentives)

Dealer #2 honored the $23906-$1500 price, or $22406, which was the price quoted in the original email. Rosen Kia of Elgin, IL. The finance manager did his best to talk me into financing (no), all kinds of "exterior protection", such as acid-rain insurance (no, no) and the wheel and tire insurance (no). Modest, earnest discussions, but I wouldn't call it hard pressure. Dealer #1 was convinced that Dealer #2 would tack on destination to the $22,406 price, but I was assured it was already accounted for in their quote and the subject did not come up. They did have a pinstriping package already applied and priced in to the window sticker, but the price I quoted and paid was still $750 lower than dealer #1 after I got a revised quote on a new, not demo model.

Over the 50 mile drive home, the avg MPG readout was 32.6. Already happy if this keeps up. Expecting mileage to improve after a break in period.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback in helping me locate this vehicle.
    A little hard to follow. As best as I can tell, you say you paid Dealer #2 $750 less than Dealer #1 revised quote of ($24,780-$1500 incentives):

Dealer number 1: 24,780 - 1,500 = 23,280
    Dealer number 2: 23,280 - 750 = 22,530

So, if I haven't missed anything, you paid $22,530 after 1,500 incentives for a brand new 2012 EX with PREMIUM package? That means the dealer sold you the car for 24,030.

Sticker: 27,065
    Invoice: 25,195
    Your Price: 24,030 (incentives back to dealer)
    + (-) Invoice: (1,165)

Even giving you the holdback of $650, the dealer ate another $515 to get you to take the car?

That is a great deal! Especially for a first timer who sent a few emails and spent one day at dealerships. There must be some serious unpublished incentives to dealers. Congrats!

Car_man or kyfdx, can you help us out here? What are we missing?

Oh, yeah, one last thing: What is your term and interest rate? Or, did you pay cash?
    edited February 2012
    Here's a copy/paste from the original email I got from the dealer:

Price Quote Details For Your: 2012 Optima EX

MSRP: $27,545.00 (my note: $450 was the pinstriping as shown below)
    Rebate(s): $1,500.00 inc ...1,000.00 Competitive or Kia Loyalty? & 500.00Kia Finance Assistance!
    Your Price: $22,406.00
    Your Savings: $5,139.00
    Equipment/Packages: Double Pinstripe..Door/Whl Pro.. (my note: this turned out to be $450 of pinstiping and door edge guards that I wouldn't have requested, but it was already installed on this particular car...all the Optimas had them at that dealership).
    PIO's as viewed ...Premium Package (My note: not sure what PIO means - price includes options? maybe? This car has the Premium pkg w/the pano roof, UVO, upgraded audio, etc., but no nav).

I then called them (twice, in fact) asking if I would have to pay another $750 destination charge on top of all this, and they assured me it was already rolled into the price and the only thing that was missing was title/tags, doc fees, and tax. I did not finance (paid cash) so I was not eligible for the $500 finance assistance BUT they gave me instead a $500 Auto Show bonus that other dealers had mentioned, so the $1500 in rebates still applied.

Even with the price worked out ahead of time, it still was about 4 hours start to finish, with test drive, prepping the car, listening to the finance mgr trying to sell me all kinds of add on stuff, etc.

This all started with me finding a car on their web site that was the color & options combo I wanted and sending in their "email us for a price quote" form. As I said in an earlier post, they actually ended up lower than the dealers zag.com referred me to.

All this done through Rosen Kia in Elgin, Illinois.

Hope this clarifies. Good luck with your shopping!
  • drores1125drores1125 Member Posts: 2
    Hi All, would love advice...ready to buy the 2012 Optima EX base, sticker $24065.00-less two $1000.00 incentives = $22065.00. Asked the dealer to provide add'l discount & he responded with "where do you want me to be?" Im thinking $19000.00...am I in the ballpark? From what Ive seen $21k is fair. I live in northern IL & would LOVE some help. Im a single female and Ive seen 1st hand how these sales people try to pressure. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
    edited February 2012
    I had luck emailing several dealers and asking for their best price. You can use that information as a basis for your negotiations. Both Edmund's TMV and the ZAG pricing show about $22425 before any incentives (don't forget to ask about the $750 destination charges).

I found a dealer in Elgin who sold me a '12 Optima EX with the Premium package for $22406 (before tax, title, licence). This was $750 less than the next cheapest price. It did pay to do some homework online before talking to the sales staff. With that car, I found the car on their web site and filled out the little "email me your internet price" form. Had an answer back within a few hours and ended up purchasing from them. Google Kia dealers in northern Illinois and browse their inventory and try doing some price comparison that way. May be worth your time.
  • mihinkmihink Member Posts: 39
    New purchase: 2012 SX dark graphite premium touring package (non-tech) ,wheel locks, cargo mat and net, door sill applique, door guards, pinstripes.

Final price: $27500 including tax/title/license (out the door) and 0.9% financing x 3 years.

Breakdown: $27118 + 1639 (MD tax of 6%) + 292 (tags/title fee) = $29250 - $1750 (1k competitive bonus + 750 graduate discount)

MSRP was $30,940 I believe

Purchased at Herson's Kia in Rockville, MD on 02/25/12

Good luck to everyone! Go to the dealer at the end of the month and find a car in inventory...dealers want to sell!
  • chadecoenchadecoen Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2012
    So I am trying like heck to get an Optima EX. I was leaning towards a lease but am thinking of buying now. My local dealer (there are many in my area) has in the autotrader several EX models listed as MSRP: $24,240, Internet Price: $20,375.

Now I know they are just using every single rebate they have to show the lowest price in the ad. They are going to say not everyone qualifies for the rebates, bringing the price up. I only qualify for the competitor and recent grad rebates but I understand they can not be combined.

How can I get them to sell to me for that price? Go sit down with them and dig my heals in and not budge till they do?

Will they fudge on the loyalty rebate and say they saw a current Kia registration if they did not? Anyone have a copy of a tag receipt I can borrow and fake myself?

Taxes, if I do decide to trade to avoid paying taxes on the trade amount, do they reduce the tax liability by the trade allowance or the actual cash value? Can they show more for the trade to pay less taxes? Does that make any sense?

****edit***I think I answered my own question about taxes. Another site says it is trade allowance not ACV but even so, the trade is worth what it is and at rock bottom on the new car price they would have to raise the selling price to show more for trade not saving my any in taxes beyond the acv anyway. Make sense?***edit***

I just want to look at this thing from all angles to pay as little as possible on each line item, not just on the price of the car. This particular dealer also has the highest "Doc" fee too of $799!!!!! What a rip but they have the cheapest advertised prices.

Not sure what to do here. Wife REALLY wants one but $25k out the door is just too much. I do have $3k to put down but damn, that advertised price looks good!
  • cooper13cooper13 Member Posts: 14
    2012 Optima EX w/premium package paid $23,499 (w/$1,000 competitive and $500 financing rebates) + dealer fee +TTL = $25,528 OTD and got 2.90% KIA Financing. If you don't take the $500 financing incentive you can get lower APR financing. For me it was more advantageous to take the $500 financing rebate. Dealer had exact color combo I was looking for so it was a good deal for me.
  • rp8rp8 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Car_Man,

I am about to pull the trigger on leasing a 2012 KIA Optima EX Turbo with Premium Package. Can you please tell me how my deal looks.

1. Do you think it would be more beneficial for me to go with the SX, I believe the MF is much lower then the EX right now and prices are very similar? (EX .00109 vs SX .00060)

2. Can I negotiate the MF on the EX deal?

3. I know its a pretty damn good deal, but is there something else I can do to get even lower monthly payment?

I want to negotiate down to the bottom bottom. Please help. I am trying to make the decision tomorrow. Here is the deal I got on the EX below.

MSRP: $29,894
    SALE PRICE: $27500
    COMPETETIVE: -$1000
    LEASE CASH: -$1000
    FINAL PRICE: $25500
    DOWN: $0
    MF: .000109
    RESIDUAL: 58%
    TERM: 36 MONTHS (12K)

Trade: $9800
    Owe: $9000

PAYMENT: $280

Do you think there is any other angle I can play to get my payment even lower?

Thank you