Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Kia Optima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF: 361
    Anyone savvy enough to frequent these forums is NOT dumb enough to pay more than 10% interest on a car loan. You must be joking!
  • gibson_sggibson_sg Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the same boat in San Diego...Trying to find a Titanium EX (non-turbo) with just the Premium Package. As I understand it, adding the navigation gets rid of the UVO and HD radio (someone please correct me if I am wrong.) Anyway, I don't want to lose 2 features for a feature I don't need...and pay more for the privilege! :)

Good luck!
  • bschmidt25bschmidt25 Member Posts: 14
    Correct. Navigation replaces UVO and deletes HD Radio.
  • bschmidt25bschmidt25 Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2012
    What's a good price currently for the SX Turbo w/ Premium Touring (no Tech)? I'm looking to pull the trigger probably within the next few weeks. We'd be leasing it for 3 years, 15K per. I was thinking of going for around $26,500. We qualify for the $1000 competitive cash and apparently there is $1000 lease cash on it as well. Discount would be ~$1800 then. Is this reasonable or too optimistic?
  • samsunersamsuner Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have been looking for a Optima EX base model. How much should i pay for a good deal ? I am in Southern California. Also for a Optima EX lease $279 including tax $0 sign-in for 36 months and 12,000 miles. Is this is a good deal ?

Thank you for your helps.
  • haggardhaggard Member Posts: 92
    The lease deal is about what I got, but with 15K miles per year. Not the rock-bottom best, but a good deal I think. The selling price was a couple hundred over invoice, then applied 2K in incentives. I'm in PA, so not sure about accounting for any tax/fee or regional differences.

Maybe try for the miles and some oil changes, etc. Can't hurt to ask, right?

Good luck.
  • gibson_sggibson_sg Member Posts: 2
    Another day...another EX pricing question. :)

I am looking to buy (not lease) an EX with premium package (no tech package) in SoCal. So far I have been quoted $26,100.00 out the door. TTL is about $2400, so the price I would be paying is $23,700. I think that's how that works. :)

Decent deal?

Thanks!
  • samsunersamsuner Member Posts: 2
    Finally i got a deal for EX base model $252+tax=$271 with $0 due signing 36,000 miles with $1000 Competitive incentive + $1000 lease cash.
  • outbackfrogoutbackfrog Member Posts: 2
    First of all, thank you to everyone who has provided information on pricing for their Optima. This was a surprise find, just before I was heading into the dealership to negotiate my own new car.

I was looking at a EX-Turbo with Prem/Tech package, and was quoted an internet price of $26,500 (including all rebates... financing with Kia, competitive trade-in, etc.) from an original price near $30K. Well, I didn't have a car to trade in, so assume the quote was for $27,500.

When I got to the dealership, this car had been traded and was no longer available.

I test drove an EX with Prem/Tech (non-Turbo), and I was just as happy with it. Final price (including all other rebates/incentives): $25,300... not including taxes/title, etc.

Based on everyone's feedback, I considered this to be a fair price. So thank you! And, I am happy with the car. Looking forward to driving it daily & keeping it for some time!
  • cjericcjeric Member Posts: 23
    I'm looking at the same car and and was quoted a sales price of $27,825 as a first offer. I qualify for the $1,000 competetive bonus, $1,000 lease or $500 finance cash, as well as $500 as military veteran bringing the price to $25,325 with a lease and $25,825 if I buy. On top of that would be TTL and doc fee of $289.

I'm trying to decide what my response to this would be, the $26,500 sales prices sounds like it would be quite a good deal, so maybe I'll say that I'll take it for that and see if they at least come down to $27,000. What do you guys think would be reasonable? I'm looking to buy towards the end of the month/quarter, so maybe that will help with pricing as well?
  • mommys3mommys3 Member Posts: 3
    I am so excited! I live in Orlando area and I just got my 2012 optima sx turbo with premium technology and black leather interior...$24,440 out the door. It took us about 2 hours to negotiate. Msrp was $36900. I love this car!
  • thedodger22thedodger22 Member Posts: 3
    Please share details of dealership and salesperson...Did you really get $12,500+ off the price of a new Optima?!?! I'm in Orland too, and am looking at getting 1 of these cars. LMK please!!!
  • mommys3mommys3 Member Posts: 3
    The dealership was Orlando Kia in Longwood and the sales person was Youseff. I was shocked too. After my friends have seen my new car, they said the LS was $22,500. They kept telling me when we told them what our budget was that they could put us in the LS. I said,no I want the SX and I can go to David Maus Chevrolet that is very close to their location and get a loaded Malibu for that price. (I really did not want a malibu, but I did so much research before we went)

1. When we got there, we did not show excitement

2. We only looked at the SX turbo

3. Don't discuss any money with them until you are ready to make a deal (when he asked questions about how much we owed on our trade or any money, I simply said "I'm not sure, but I can get the info when I need to")

4. Don't be afraid to leave if they can't make the deal you want.

5. It helped we had our own financing when we got there.

Good Luck!
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    edited June 2012
    How in the world did they boost the MSRP to 36.9??? There's an odor here.....
  • bubby48230bubby48230 Member Posts: 1
    Would it be possible for you to post your sales contract (minus personal information) so I have something to walk into my dealer (Michigan) and use as a tool? These guys only want to take 1K off list??? Love to get the SX, but not at these prices.

Thanks.
  • haggardhaggard Member Posts: 92
    Very common. Things like $3,000 for "lifetime engine warranty", $1,600 for "Limited edition detailing", $1,800 for "rust perforation protection" and other such nonsense that allows the circus clown dealers to scream "We'll give you up to $10,000 off "Dealer Posted Price".

Some people actually pay for those dealer add-ons, God bless 'em.
  • jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    edited June 2012
    Those items are NOT a part of the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.
  • thedodger22thedodger22 Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2012
    Yes, I'd love to see this too (sales contract)...Thank god for this site and people sharing what they've been able to manage.

You'd think that when someone submits a price query thru Edmunds that the "Internet Managers" at these dealerships would realize that you've seen the deals available and not come back to you with ripoff attempts of MSRP or very close to it.
  • optimistic_dlcoptimistic_dlc Member Posts: 2
    WOW, you make me look like I got suckered! Congrats!

I just purchased the regular Optima EX here in Dallas for $25.5k, including TT&L. The asking price was nearly $29k including TT&L.

I thought I got a pretty good deal until I read your post. Nice work!

I had pretty much decided I was going to get a Sonata, and was only going to test drive a Kia before my purchase tomorrow. So, I walked in for a test drive, and walked out owning the same car.

Somebody, please tell me I got a decent deal!
  • skiatlskiatl Member Posts: 20
    Has anyone used the 3% under invoice pricing for friends and family to purchase their Optima ?
  • anderik1anderik1 Member Posts: 1
    I used this thread to help find out what a good price would be on my car, so wanted to return the favor. I talked to almost every dealer in a 200 mile radius to end up getting the price I paid, so I definitely felt I worked for it. I ended up getting a corsa blue sx with the premium touring package but without the technology package. They also threw in window tint, wheel locks and the vin etch, but those are not included in the MSRP below.

MSRP: $30,545
    Rebate: 1000 competitive + 500 financing
    Price after rebates: $26,190 before tt&l

Discount off MSRP: $4355

Hope this helps!
  • cjericcjeric Member Posts: 23
    That sounds similar to the quote that I just received on the same care with an MSRP of $30,465.

Their initial offer was $27,835 and then I qualify for the same rebates plus $500 if I lease and another $500 since I'm a vet, so the final price would be $25,325, but that doesn't include the $595 acquisition fee.

I'm debating how I should counter this offer since it seems to be a decent price to begin with and I would pay about $11,200 for the full lease:

- $9,774 depreciation (residual 53% or $16,146)
    - $321 finance charge (money factor = 0.00021
    - $289 doc fee
    - $157 RMV fees
    - $630 taxes (6.25% rate in MA)
  • optimistic_dlcoptimistic_dlc Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Since last week's purchase of my Optima EX, I've come to find out that I probably paid about $2000 or more than I should have. I stupidly thought I could wing it without consulting the iPhone I had in my hand the entire time. I was like a deer caught in headlights. Please don't make that mistake. I was an idiot, and now I'm paying the 'stupid tax'. It really is interfering with the enjoyment of what is an admittedly very nice automobile.

This is just one resource I could have used:
    http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/kia/optima-pricing/2012/5197279F/
  • rlm10rlm10 Member Posts: 4
    What's a good price for a 2011 used kia optima <15,000 miles. no tech just plain optima ex .
    I had went to the dealer yesterday and i saw one i really liked they said its 25,220 i don't believe it is worth that much.. i was also going to pay in cash.. so what do you all think is a good price also getting a military discount.. so how much?
    thank you
    That is way too high. You can get a NEW 2013 Sonata for 21.5k

http://www.bobpoynterhyundai.com/2013-Hyundai-Sonata-GLS-Columbus-Indiana/vd/107- 15138

Also, are you sure you can get the mil discount on a used car?

BTW, the residual % Hyundai uses on 3 year old cars is at most 60%. So if you know the original msrp of that car, offer them 60% of that number (plus a bit more since it has LOW mileage)
    I agree, they would go down 1k but that is still too much...
    It is plain and simple
    used
    im paying in cash
    msrp on this car is 23k highest and 20k lowest
    these things all go into consideration, and they wouldn't even go to 20k
    we left and told them if they are willing to negotiate to call us cause that is ridiculous i can get a 2012 brand new one for that.
    what do you think i should do
    http://www.edmunds.com/kia/optima/2011/tmv-appraise-results.html
    this car is fully loaded
    and is less then the price the dealers offered.
    mine was plain... crazy much!!
    It's a very interesting time for us consumers in this mid-size car range. Altima, Accord, Camry, Sonata, Fusion, Optima. Some brand-new for 2013, some not too old. My lease on a 2011 Sonata is not up til early next year and i am looking forward to checking each of them out. If you need a car this month, the Accord and Altima are almost being given away. Both have 5k-6k discounts off MSRP for the 2012 model IF you shop a bit. I like my Sonata GLS but I doubt I will buy it after my lease is up. FWIW, my buyout at the end of the lease is 13059. That's 60% of the 21765 msrp. Good luck
    well i really like the optima because its girly, does good on gas and its super expensive here and its very sleek. but im looking at many different dealers thanks and im buying to own.
  • bigmatsbigmats Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've been shopping for a Optima SX fully loaded in the NYC metro area (North Jersey) for a few weeks now. I got quoted on a lease for 36 mo at 12k mile per year for 346 per month, Tax and Title down payment. Is this a fair price or should i look for closer to 300 a month. MSRP is $31,650.
  • sarathysarathy Member Posts: 1
    Just got an new 2012 Optima EX with Premium and Technology package and a few dealer add-ons such as floor mats, wheel locks and rear bumper applique. The OTD was 27,500 (including T&L, no taxes in Oregon). How did I do on this? In the ball park?
  • bigdeeotbigdeeot Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Ok guys so here's my story. I went to southwest kia in rockwall texas and got an optima lx for invoice price of 20255 + 775 delivery plus 225ish advertising fee - 500 rebate + 600 convenience package + 115 floor mats + 200 pearl white = 21656 before TTL.

Now, I accepted this car because of two reasons. One, I assumed that all the cars at the dealership had those dealer add ons and there were no optimas stripped down to the bare model. I really wanted the bare model but I wasn't aggresive. The second reason is because I never even considered an upgraded model from the lx because i didn't wanna spend any more many than that. I didn't know that the difference was only 1700. And in my case, $715 of the options I paid for were included on the EX so if I was willing to pay for those addons to the LX, I might as well have spent an extra $1000 for the EX so I can get leather seats, push to start, rear events, and auto up and down windows.

Bout time I realized all that however, I had already driven the car off the lot. I wanted to make this thread last night when I was agonizing so bad about how I felt like I got ripped off. Why didn't the sales guy tell me to just go ahead and get an EX even after I told him I was interested in possibly upgrading to leather seats. I was going through this thread and other forums and it seemed like 95% of people got a non-LX optima so thats what prompted me to look at the EX in the first place and question my purchase. I wanted the EX so bad that I was willing to pay an extra $2500 to get it because I knew I would always go on regretting not getting it from the start.

Friday morning I made a call to the dealership asking if there was any way I could still upgrade to an EX. They were surprisingly pretty easy going and the manager let me sign off on a deal to trade my car in for an EX at $1100 more. So I was really happy about that. Its not even that the EX would make me THAT much more happier if I got it from the start, but I surely would have went the next three years wondering how it'd be like to have an EX over an LX. So I feel pretty grateful for the manager letting me trade it in cause I know he did that as just a favor for me.

So I paid about $22700 ish before TTL for an Optima EX with 6.9% interest over 6 years. I def don't plan on paying it off in 6 years though. I'm gonna try to pay it off in 3 years max. So I'd be paying about $650ish a month for that route. I'm gonna try and get it refinanced online or through another bank. Anyone have any tips for where to look for that?

OTD price was about $24300. I put $3200 down.

And just to be clear I still dont have the EX. He let me take the LX back home after I signed off and told me to come back tomorrow to pick up the EX because it has to be transferred from another dealer. So technically there might still be a chance I'm getting screwed on this, but I did sign all the finance papers again so hopefully I'm good to go.

Is $22,700 before TTL/$24,300 out the door a fair price for an EX?
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    The important thing is you got the car you wanted and it was nice of the dealer to get you into what you really want. I don't mind paying an xtra $1100.00 for the car I really want. I just lost out on a used 2012 SX for $25,000 and I'm pissed with myself. If you did do what you just did, U would have benn going "would a, shoulda, coulda for teh next 6 years. That's what I'm doing tonite
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    just got a great deal on a 2013 optima snow white, w premium pk in new jersey. this dealer went to delaware to get me the car. they did a great job most of the kia dealers gave me pricing and oh that color is going to be hard to get right now.... i probably could of squeezed him for a few hundred more to knock off his doc fee's but my mother inlaw needed the car asap. she also got the 1.9 finance for 3 or 4 yrs which was nice. by far one of the sharpest cars on the road today for the money. kia is comming out with a 2014 kia cadenza in a month or two its a bigger version of the optima 290 horse plus all the toys... might be worth the wait. i like the optima but i'm 6'1 260 little tight for me for every day driving.. good luck to all

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• ddegraw1ddegraw1 Member Posts: 3
    I have an offer for a fully loaded 2013 Kia Optima SXL with Tech Package for 29,700 before TLT. Is this a good deal?
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Member Posts: 52
    I believe this is a good deal. It's $5800 off msrp that 16% off. !st year depreciation is around 20%. According to the math, It's a good deal
  • ddegraw1ddegraw1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the help. I also have a 2004 Trailblazer as a trade in fair condition that they offered $4,500 for the trade. Guessing that is subjective but from Edmunds pricing it seems close. Any thoughts on that?
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Is the $29700 price before or after the trade? In other words, would the final price be $29700 - $4500 = $25200?
  • mega13mega13 Member Posts: 7
    Hey buddy, my story is some what similar to yours.

Back in march 2012, I originally wanted to purchase the optima 2012 LX with convenience package. I bargain the price to be a total of 22k out the door, no finance/trade, PAID cash. By the way, I'm located in So. Cali.
    However, the LX wasn't available on the lot, and had to be transfer from another dealership (90 miles away). This is because i wanted the titanium silver color.

After a week of waiting...i called the dealership and my car wasn't there yet, i was furious because they had promised me within a few days. Anyways they asked me to come in and look at my other options.

They offer me a EX trim with the color i wanted, however i had to paid an extra 1k. Which is 23k total out the door, i sat at the dealership and ponder for a while to see if it is a good deal or I'm getting scam. Eventually i calculated everything and compare what i would get more with the EX, such as keyless entry, push start, dual ac, power seats, garage link sys, cargo net, appliques, wheel locks.

I ultimately agree to it and paid an extra 1k, all in all i felt good about the decision and really happy with the EX trim.

Hope sharing my experience help you as reading yours helped me. Thanks.
    Wow, thats over priced, i purchased the EX 2012 back in march for 23k out the door, no trades or finance. By the way I'm located in Southern California (Huntington beach).

I believe with 25k you could have added the premium and tech package for that price.
    Hey buddy, Im located in So. Cali, huntington beach. I purchased the EX 2012 basic back in march for 23k out the door. No trade/finance, straight up cash.

I hope this helps you, let me know what you negotiated with.
    Hey buddy, I purchased a 2012 EX basic for 23k out the door back in march, by the way I'm located in Southern California, huntington beach. Hope this helps.

For me if i would have added the premium package, the highest i would offer is 24k, just try it and see what the dealership answer.
  • bgkobbgkob Member Posts: 8
    Last night I finally closed the deal on a bright silver EX with premium pckg. I brought my beat up 2007 Kia Spectra LX (6 inch tear in the driver seat, missing the trunk trim piece, Kia trunk emblem all messed up, rear arm rests with some gouges in them, 44,300 miles on the ODO) for a trade. I still owed $3400 on it, but they offered me $5000 for it. I took them up on it and we started negotiating the LEASE price for the Optima. We settled at $260 a month after figuring in my trade which covered TTL costs, first month lease payment, and a little bit into the cost of the car. They also gave me a $1k credit for "loyal Kia buyer" or something. And...after about a minute of discussion (it was 9:25pm, the dealer is supposed to close at 9) I ask for either more on the trade or more off the Optima cap cost. They ended up just giving me $500 cash to seal the deal.

So all in all, I got the Optima EX for a 36 month lease, 12,000 miles a year (my wife and I calculated we drive 10k miles a year for just work driving, and since this will be our work driver we should have some miles left over every year to waste on other car rides...we have a family Pacifica for the trips and kid hauling) for exactly $260 a month. Who made out on this...did i get the deal or the dealership??
  • bgkobbgkob Member Posts: 8
    By the way I live in Milwaukee WI. And the car is amazing!!!
  • jerseytjjerseytj Member Posts: 1
    Im about to purchase the optima ex with the premium package for just under 24,000 with my 1500 dollar rebate a thosand for competitor and 500 for military and im going to look into if I could also get the 500 dollars through kia if I finance through them not sure if this can be combined with my other rebates.I,ve done research on this car as well as i,ve talked to other owners and I hear nothing but good.
  • arvai2arvai2 Member Posts: 7
    First -- thanks for the posts in this thread. They are very helpful.

I ended up getting a new 2013 black Optima LX for $19,700 with a 1.9% finance rate. We wanted leather so that was added on for $1,300 but it's aftermarket. This deal was out of Columbus OH.

This is our first Kia and we chose it over the Accord. Hopefully it lives up to all the great reviews!
  • marty07650marty07650 Member Posts: 1
    just leased a 2013 optima EX with premium package for $241/month $2,500 down. was this a good deal?
  • ernie55ernie55 Member Posts: 1
    I live in the Monterey area in California and currently looking into purchasing a 2013 Kia Optima SX with touring package, cargo net, cargo mat.

From what i can tell here is what i am looking at:

Base price with touring package and net and cargo mat: $30,670 (internet price listed on dealer website)

Sales Tax: 7.25% =$2,224
    Tittle & Reg:$460 (used edmunds calculator)

Competitive Bonus Discount: $1,000 (Kia website)
    (kia website shows $1,500 for model 55282 with options 81,82,83. What does that mean?

Down payment: $6,000

Total before financing: $25,354.00 (Kia website)

Financing APR: I'm going for 2.9 at 70 months through kia. Will that get me an additional $500 discount? Can the special APR be combined with the competitive bonus discount?

Anything else i should consider? Extra fees? Maybe additional discounts? Is the base price reasonable?
  • crowanrcrowanr Member Posts: 2
    Looks like they are charging you about MSRP. I've been shopping prices for SXs in the Bay Area quite a bit lately. I think you can get at least $1,500 off MSRP if you look around. Are you interested in the SXL at all? San Leandro Kia has a bunch of those at pretty good discount (if you go through the internet dept)
  • liampliamp Member Posts: 1
    A little better than what i got for the LX Auto actually.

I got 270 a month for 72 months, with 1000 down.. 3.9% which is really good for 72 months i guess.