Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Kia Optima Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mommys3mommys3 Posts: 3
    I am so excited! I live in Orlando area and I just got my 2012 optima sx turbo with premium technology and black leather interior...$24,440 out the door. It took us about 2 hours to negotiate. Msrp was $36900. I love this car!
  • Please share details of dealership and salesperson...Did you really get $12,500+ off the price of a new Optima?!?! I'm in Orland too, and am looking at getting 1 of these cars. LMK please!!!
  • mommys3mommys3 Posts: 3
    The dealership was Orlando Kia in Longwood and the sales person was Youseff. I was shocked too. After my friends have seen my new car, they said the LS was $22,500. They kept telling me when we told them what our budget was that they could put us in the LS. I said,no I want the SX and I can go to David Maus Chevrolet that is very close to their location and get a loaded Malibu for that price. (I really did not want a malibu, but I did so much research before we went)

1. When we got there, we did not show excitement

2. We only looked at the SX turbo

3. Don't discuss any money with them until you are ready to make a deal (when he asked questions about how much we owed on our trade or any money, I simply said "I'm not sure, but I can get the info when I need to")

4. Don't be afraid to leave if they can't make the deal you want.

5. It helped we had our own financing when we got there.

Good Luck!
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    edited June 2012
    How in the world did they boost the MSRP to 36.9??? There's an odor here.....
  • Would it be possible for you to post your sales contract (minus personal information) so I have something to walk into my dealer (Michigan) and use as a tool? These guys only want to take 1K off list??? Love to get the SX, but not at these prices.

Thanks.
  • haggardhaggard Posts: 63
    Very common. Things like $3,000 for "lifetime engine warranty", $1,600 for "Limited edition detailing", $1,800 for "rust perforation protection" and other such nonsense that allows the circus clown dealers to scream "We'll give you up to $10,000 off "Dealer Posted Price".

Some people actually pay for those dealer add-ons, God bless 'em.
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    edited June 2012
    Those items are NOT a part of the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price.
  • thedodger22thedodger22 Posts: 3
    edited June 2012
    Yes, I'd love to see this too (sales contract)...Thank god for this site and people sharing what they've been able to manage.

You'd think that when someone submits a price query thru Edmunds that the "Internet Managers" at these dealerships would realize that you've seen the deals available and not come back to you with ripoff attempts of MSRP or very close to it.
  • WOW, you make me look like I got suckered! Congrats!

I just purchased the regular Optima EX here in Dallas for $25.5k, including TT&L. The asking price was nearly $29k including TT&L.

I thought I got a pretty good deal until I read your post. Nice work!

I had pretty much decided I was going to get a Sonata, and was only going to test drive a Kia before my purchase tomorrow. So, I walked in for a test drive, and walked out owning the same car.

Somebody, please tell me I got a decent deal!
  • skiatlskiatl Posts: 20
    Has anyone used the 3% under invoice pricing for friends and family to purchase their Optima ?
  • anderik1anderik1 Posts: 1
    I used this thread to help find out what a good price would be on my car, so wanted to return the favor. I talked to almost every dealer in a 200 mile radius to end up getting the price I paid, so I definitely felt I worked for it. I ended up getting a corsa blue sx with the premium touring package but without the technology package. They also threw in window tint, wheel locks and the vin etch, but those are not included in the MSRP below.

MSRP: $30,545
    Rebate: 1000 competitive + 500 financing
    Price after rebates: $26,190 before tt&l

Discount off MSRP: $4355

Hope this helps!
  • cjericcjeric Posts: 23
    That sounds similar to the quote that I just received on the same care with an MSRP of $30,465.

Their initial offer was $27,835 and then I qualify for the same rebates plus $500 if I lease and another $500 since I'm a vet, so the final price would be $25,325, but that doesn't include the $595 acquisition fee.

I'm debating how I should counter this offer since it seems to be a decent price to begin with and I would pay about $11,200 for the full lease:

- $9,774 depreciation (residual 53% or $16,146)
    - $321 finance charge (money factor = 0.00021
    - $289 doc fee
    - $157 RMV fees
    - $630 taxes (6.25% rate in MA)
  • optimistic_dlcoptimistic_dlc Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Since last week's purchase of my Optima EX, I've come to find out that I probably paid about $2000 or more than I should have. I stupidly thought I could wing it without consulting the iPhone I had in my hand the entire time. I was like a deer caught in headlights. Please don't make that mistake. I was an idiot, and now I'm paying the 'stupid tax'. It really is interfering with the enjoyment of what is an admittedly very nice automobile.

This is just one resource I could have used:
    http://www.truecar.com/prices-new/kia/optima-pricing/2012/5197279F/
  • rlm10rlm10 Posts: 4
    What's a good price for a 2011 used kia optima <15,000 miles. no tech just plain optima ex .
    I had went to the dealer yesterday and i saw one i really liked they said its 25,220 i don't believe it is worth that much.. i was also going to pay in cash.. so what do you all think is a good price also getting a military discount.. so how much?
    thank you
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    That is way too high. You can get a NEW 2013 Sonata for 21.5k

http://www.bobpoynterhyundai.com/2013-Hyundai-Sonata-GLS-Columbus-Indiana/vd/107- 15138

Also, are you sure you can get the mil discount on a used car?

BTW, the residual % Hyundai uses on 3 year old cars is at most 60%. So if you know the original msrp of that car, offer them 60% of that number (plus a bit more since it has LOW mileage)
    I agree, they would go down 1k but that is still too much...
    It is plain and simple
    used
    im paying in cash
    msrp on this car is 23k highest and 20k lowest
    these things all go into consideration, and they wouldn't even go to 20k
    we left and told them if they are willing to negotiate to call us cause that is ridiculous i can get a 2012 brand new one for that.
    what do you think i should do
    http://www.edmunds.com/kia/optima/2011/tmv-appraise-results.html
    this car is fully loaded
    and is less then the price the dealers offered.
    mine was plain... crazy much!!
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    It's a very interesting time for us consumers in this mid-size car range. Altima, Accord, Camry, Sonata, Fusion, Optima. Some brand-new for 2013, some not too old. My lease on a 2011 Sonata is not up til early next year and i am looking forward to checking each of them out. If you need a car this month, the Accord and Altima are almost being given away. Both have 5k-6k discounts off MSRP for the 2012 model IF you shop a bit. I like my Sonata GLS but I doubt I will buy it after my lease is up. FWIW, my buyout at the end of the lease is 13059. That's 60% of the 21765 msrp. Good luck
    well i really like the optima because its girly, does good on gas and its super expensive here and its very sleek. but im looking at many different dealers thanks and im buying to own.
  • bigmatsbigmats Posts: 1
    Hi, I've been shopping for a Optima SX fully loaded in the NYC metro area (North Jersey) for a few weeks now. I got quoted on a lease for 36 mo at 12k mile per year for 346 per month, Tax and Title down payment. Is this a fair price or should i look for closer to 300 a month. MSRP is $31,650.
  • sarathysarathy Posts: 1
    Just got an new 2012 Optima EX with Premium and Technology package and a few dealer add-ons such as floor mats, wheel locks and rear bumper applique. The OTD was 27,500 (including T&L, no taxes in Oregon). How did I do on this? In the ball park?
  • bigdeeotbigdeeot Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Ok guys so here's my story. I went to southwest kia in rockwall texas and got an optima lx for invoice price of 20255 + 775 delivery plus 225ish advertising fee - 500 rebate + 600 convenience package + 115 floor mats + 200 pearl white = 21656 before TTL.

Now, I accepted this car because of two reasons. One, I assumed that all the cars at the dealership had those dealer add ons and there were no optimas stripped down to the bare model. I really wanted the bare model but I wasn't aggresive. The second reason is because I never even considered an upgraded model from the lx because i didn't wanna spend any more many than that. I didn't know that the difference was only 1700. And in my case, $715 of the options I paid for were included on the EX so if I was willing to pay for those addons to the LX, I might as well have spent an extra $1000 for the EX so I can get leather seats, push to start, rear events, and auto up and down windows.

Bout time I realized all that however, I had already driven the car off the lot. I wanted to make this thread last night when I was agonizing so bad about how I felt like I got ripped off. Why didn't the sales guy tell me to just go ahead and get an EX even after I told him I was interested in possibly upgrading to leather seats. I was going through this thread and other forums and it seemed like 95% of people got a non-LX optima so thats what prompted me to look at the EX in the first place and question my purchase. I wanted the EX so bad that I was willing to pay an extra $2500 to get it because I knew I would always go on regretting not getting it from the start.

Friday morning I made a call to the dealership asking if there was any way I could still upgrade to an EX. They were surprisingly pretty easy going and the manager let me sign off on a deal to trade my car in for an EX at $1100 more. So I was really happy about that. Its not even that the EX would make me THAT much more happier if I got it from the start, but I surely would have went the next three years wondering how it'd be like to have an EX over an LX. So I feel pretty grateful for the manager letting me trade it in cause I know he did that as just a favor for me.

So I paid about $22700 ish before TTL for an Optima EX with 6.9% interest over 6 years. I def don't plan on paying it off in 6 years though. I'm gonna try to pay it off in 3 years max. So I'd be paying about $650ish a month for that route. I'm gonna try and get it refinanced online or through another bank. Anyone have any tips for where to look for that?

OTD price was about $24300. I put $3200 down.

And just to be clear I still dont have the EX. He let me take the LX back home after I signed off and told me to come back tomorrow to pick up the EX because it has to be transferred from another dealer. So technically there might still be a chance I'm getting screwed on this, but I did sign all the finance papers again so hopefully I'm good to go.

Is $22,700 before TTL/$24,300 out the door a fair price for an EX?
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Posts: 51
    The important thing is you got the car you wanted and it was nice of the dealer to get you into what you really want. I don't mind paying an xtra $1100.00 for the car I really want. I just lost out on a used 2012 SX for $25,000 and I'm pissed with myself. If you did do what you just did, U would have benn going "would a, shoulda, coulda for teh next 6 years. That's what I'm doing tonite
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,457
    just got a great deal on a 2013 optima snow white, w premium pk in new jersey. this dealer went to delaware to get me the car. they did a great job most of the kia dealers gave me pricing and oh that color is going to be hard to get right now.... i probably could of squeezed him for a few hundred more to knock off his doc fee's but my mother inlaw needed the car asap. she also got the 1.9 finance for 3 or 4 yrs which was nice. by far one of the sharpest cars on the road today for the money. kia is comming out with a 2014 kia cadenza in a month or two its a bigger version of the optima 290 horse plus all the toys... might be worth the wait. i like the optima but i'm 6'1 260 little tight for me for every day driving.. good luck to all

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• I have an offer for a fully loaded 2013 Kia Optima SXL with Tech Package for 29,700 before TLT. Is this a good deal?
  • ahossa1ahossa1 Posts: 51
    I believe this is a good deal. It's $5800 off msrp that 16% off. !st year depreciation is around 20%. According to the math, It's a good deal
  • Thank you for the help. I also have a 2004 Trailblazer as a trade in fair condition that they offered $4,500 for the trade. Guessing that is subjective but from Edmunds pricing it seems close. Any thoughts on that?
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    Is the $29700 price before or after the trade? In other words, would the final price be $29700 - $4500 = $25200?
  • mega13mega13 Posts: 7
    Hey buddy, my story is some what similar to yours.

Back in march 2012, I originally wanted to purchase the optima 2012 LX with convenience package. I bargain the price to be a total of 22k out the door, no finance/trade, PAID cash. By the way, I'm located in So. Cali.
    However, the LX wasn't available on the lot, and had to be transfer from another dealership (90 miles away). This is because i wanted the titanium silver color.

After a week of waiting...i called the dealership and my car wasn't there yet, i was furious because they had promised me within a few days. Anyways they asked me to come in and look at my other options.

They offer me a EX trim with the color i wanted, however i had to paid an extra 1k. Which is 23k total out the door, i sat at the dealership and ponder for a while to see if it is a good deal or I'm getting scam. Eventually i calculated everything and compare what i would get more with the EX, such as keyless entry, push start, dual ac, power seats, garage link sys, cargo net, appliques, wheel locks.

I ultimately agree to it and paid an extra 1k, all in all i felt good about the decision and really happy with the EX trim.

Hope sharing my experience help you as reading yours helped me. Thanks.
  • mega13mega13 Posts: 7
    Wow, thats over priced, i purchased the EX 2012 back in march for 23k out the door, no trades or finance. By the way I'm located in Southern California (Huntington beach).

I believe with 25k you could have added the premium and tech package for that price.