Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition Climate Control Problems

kdxfankdxfan Member Posts: 1
edited August 2015 in Ford
I replaced the battery in our 03 expi and now the A/C controller wont turn on. i checked the fuses under the kick panel inside the truck....any ideal what it could be?

See also: How to Check Your Car's AC System

Comments

• rhelmbrightrhelmbright Member Posts: 8
    I bought a 98 exp xlt 4.6L early in 06'. I have the rear ac/heat option and now that the cold season has hit, I have not been able to get my rear heat to work. The blower works just fine and so do the blend doors. One of the hoses to/from the heater core is hot, the other isn't. The heater core also seems to be ok, unless a possible blockage....? Any one that has any ideas on troubleshooting this, please let me know. Thanks.
    I recently took replaced the front heater core myself. I was getting luke warm air, but not hot. Then the heater core blew. After talking to a Ford repair man, he informed me its very common for the blend door to go out in Expeditions. I need to fix this.
  • spoosssspoosss Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer I am getting no heat at all front or back cleaned out heater core changed water pump and thermostat had sytem flushed don't know what to do next
  • raykinraykin Member Posts: 2
    I have a similar issue. I have a 99 Expedition Eddie Bauer. The fan the controls the A/C and heat does not work. The temperature is controllable, but that's it. I don't see any burnt fuses.

At one time, I was trying to swap a turn signal relay and the fan conrol stopped working. The dealer says the problem is the dashboard climate contol unit.

Have you found the issue? Is there a loose connection somewhere?
  • jerry43jerry43 Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2000 FORD EXPEDITION AND CAN NOT FIND THE LOW PRESSURE SERVICE PORT. I FOUND THE HI PRESSURE PORT OK BUT NO CAN NOT FIND LO. NEED HELP. THANX JERRY :confuse:
  • raykinraykin Member Posts: 2
    I brought my Expedition to the dealership for another issue and asked them to take a look at the heater; They indicated the climate control head unit (in the dashboard) was faulty. More specifically, the switch that controls the fan is no good. I thought it was very strange since I'd never touched the unit or any related parts. I went ahead and bought a used replacement off Ebay for $40 and installed it. IT WORKED! I didn't think it would...but it did.
  • killbinladenkillbinladen Member Posts: 1
    How do you fix the air conditioner on a 2002 Ford Expedition that switches from the panel to the defrost vents when the engine is under a load?

Every time the engine is over about 2,000 rpm's the a'c switches from panel to the Defrost vents.
    any idea why? any tips would be greatly appreciated

thanks

joel
  • packman64packman64 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 Expedtion and it suggest that I replace the Cabin filter, where is that located? If anyone can tell me
  • asandsasands Member Posts: 2
    Just yesterday i went to turn on the rear A/C for my kids and the air wasn't blowing out of the overhead vents. We could hear the air blowing but it was blowing in the third row seat floor vent. Any ideas? :confuse:
  • joekewljoekewl Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I have a 1998 Expedition with the 4.6l motor. There is some heat coming out of both sets of vents, but it doesn't get 'hot' at all. The temperature regulator knob seems to work. What might be the problem? Thank you for your help.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    This is a 4 dollar part that when it fails it does so in a way to keep the car from overheating and the cabin heater core from ever getting hot enough to give you "heat"

If the air from the vents gets colder at highway speeds, then this is the likely culprate.

Mark.
  • joekewljoekewl Member Posts: 5
    Thank you so much for your help, I will get the part soon, and let you know if this works!
  • milliardmilliard Member Posts: 2
    Hello:

I have a very similar problem as to these other postings I have read,I have a 1998 ford expedition xlt with a 4.6 ltr engine,any ways
    I just realized that my heat is not blowing hot air it is blowing luke warm to cold air & I am freezing in the a.m.!! even when I start the truck in the am I let it run for like 20 min & still no heat!! I changed the thermostat and did a radiator flush with top of the line anti freeze,on the high way it does get worm thats about it,but when i slow down it gets cold again. I am starting to think the heater core is on its way out!!

does anybody have any idea why this is happening? is my heater core on the way out??
    is it easy to change?what else can it be?

Thank You

I would like to fix asap as I do have kids to bring to school in the am!
  • milliardmilliard Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem as my post reads down below yours from milliard,have you gotten any good ideas of what it might be??
  • tammieptammiep Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 2004 Expedition. My air only blows up by the window, and not out the vents like it is supposed to. The switch that controls where the air will blow doesn't seem to be working properly, because I only get air flow at the window ( like defrost) and off. Do I need to replace this switch or is it some vacuum line or something that is not allowing the air to transfer to the proper location that I select?
  • eddiemcnincheddiemcninch Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05 Expedition EB with heated and cooled seats and had the same problem. I called the dealer and they said it was the control unit, but I did'nt think so because when I tried to switch it to vents I can hear a clicking noise like it's trying to move. So I started pulling the center console out and looking at the vacuum lines that control were th air gets switched. there is a manifold that has 6 tubes in it. A black,white,red,orange,blue, and yellow. The black and white are the two that come from the vacuum side so I took a air compressor and blew into all the tube and then it started working again. So I think the small tube must have had some junk in the line. I took some pictures of the area so if would like to receive them just email me at eddiemcninch@att.net and I will send them to you.
  • tony66tony66 Member Posts: 3
    got 05 have problem with gas fumes when using defrost been to dealer 4 times they can't found it
  • repoman3repoman3 Member Posts: 1
    Folks I am brand new to this forum and maybe I over looked the fix or maybe I didnt, anyways I have no heat in the front of my 98 ford expedition but plenty in the rear heater system. I understand that there is a blend door actuator that controls the Max cold-maxheat, but where is the damn thing and what do you do to fix this reoccuring problem that the Ford recall team seems to ignore?
  • inlowinlow Member Posts: 2
    seams to me we have the same problems with these ford expeditions, I have a 2003 xlt ,overhead rear heat works great, dash heat stay`s cold no matter where you set the temp control knob. any suggestions, my local ford dealer charged 77 dollars just to tell me it needs a blend door controler, and it will cost me 1300 dollars to fix , forget that i`ll trade it off first, anyone know what i can do to fix it myself, ? :mad:
  • monticellorobmonticellorob Member Posts: 8
    Sounds like I am not the first one with this problem. I disconnected the hoses to the front heater core and ran water through it. The core is clear. I then reconnected the hoses. The inlet hose becomes hot. However, the outlet hose never warms up. Can someone help?
    I have a very similar problem. My front heater core is clear--we disconnected the hoses and ran water through it. When the engine is at normal operating temp, the inlet hose to the core becomes hot ---the outlet hose remains cool. Any suggestions?
    I have the same problem with my 98 Expo. My front heater core is clear, we disconnected the hoses and ran water though it with no problem. However, after being reconnected and when at normal operating temperature, the inlet hose becomes hot but the outlet hose never warms up. What did you come up with to solve your problem?
  • inlowinlow Member Posts: 2
    hi
    i have a 2003 ford expidition xlt ,no heat front no matter where you put the control, so i took it to ford, they charged 77 bucks to tell me it needed a blend door controler motor. then the shocker ,1300 dollars and takes all day to pull dash . the rear heat is probably a vacume line stopped up. i took a pic of the blend door but I am not shelling out 1300 bucks . The part cost 53.50
  • tysmith14tysmith14 Member Posts: 5
    I have recently started having an issue with our 03 expedition. The heat blower stays on high even if I turn it down to low. Even if I turn off the heater the blower still blows to a certain extent. Any ideas on what would be causing this? I do not want to take it to the dealer for a 200 buck fix.

Thanks
    Does anyone read these?????????? Comments????????
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Yes, people read these messages but, apparently, no one has a ready answer for you. I would suspect you have an electrical problem with the switches. Can you deteremine whether the fan is actually engaged when you turn the heater off?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    sometimes when you turn it off the fan completely shuts off or sometimes it will stay on and blow air.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It may be the blower resistor pack. I'll leave it to the experts here to further diagnose. Anyone?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • zoomzoomnzoomzoomn Member Posts: 143
    There are a number of areas that you need to check for vacuum leaks. From the head unit (the controls) to the canister in the engine compartment. It could even be a small evap leak elsewhere that is keeping the system from maintaining enough vacuum under high load conditions.
  • tony66tony66 Member Posts: 3
    found the problem after 6 months steel spark plugs into aluminum block when you change them have to get all carbon out or they will not seal right
  • markm828markm828 Member Posts: 3
    I'm able to get great heat from the front but no heat makes it out the roof vents. same holds true for A/C. i noticed some folks mentioned the blend door as a possible issue. Would that cause this problem? is this a dealer repair or is it something that can be fixed/accessed easily?

Thanks for any input
  • Island601Island601 Member Posts: 2
    I have recently purchased a used 2008 Ford Expdition Eddie Bauer from a dealer with 12K on it. My problem is that the heated seat work OK, but do not get as warm as my old 2001 Chevy Tahoe seats. It seems that the back of the seat is warmer than the base of the seat. I have not talked to the dealer yet, but will on my first oil change coming up soon. Anybody else had experience with not warm enough on the heated seats?
  • rjw3rjw3 Member Posts: 1
    I was told the blower motor heater module is what changes the blower motor speed and when it goes bad, the blower motor only operates on the high speed switch setting. Would anyone be able to confirm this and if correct, walk me through where this resistor module is exactly located. Thanks in advance.
  • 99bauer99bauer Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1999 Eddie Bauer Expedition and I see that my problem is common. I will get "warm" heat out of the front floor and cold from the defrosters at the same time..or cold from both. This has the auto Climate Control and I can change temps from "warm" to AC and it will change and blow cold but it wil not heat.. drove it 40 miles one way and NO HEAT!! Rear controls work awesome!! I keep seeing people talking about this but have not seen any solutions short of taking it your dealer and get raped! :mad:
  • flyinghigh2flyinghigh2 Member Posts: 7
    One morning it was 50 degrees and I set my heater control to hot. The next day I tried to set it for 'cool' outside air and found it remained hot. Since then, it has stayed hot no matter where I dial my Hot/Cold selector to. I don't use my air conditioning much because I keep it on the PANEL selection when I want to save gas. Now, I can't even get my air conditioning to cool my 1999 Expedition interior down. I get hot air no matter what. My buddy says that the 'electric switcher' that controls the heater door may be faulty(causing the heater door to remain open) or I may have a broken shaft that the motor turns. When I turn the hot/cold dial, I hear nothing. No clicking, nothing. I try my dash panel selector and it changes to the appropriate venting, floor, windshield, etc. But stuck on HOT for some reason. Could my relay in my fuse block be bad? Please help me to find the fault. Thanks. Scott
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Sounds like a broken blend door. that's a big job - the dash has to come out. There is an aftermarket kit for this that you need to cut the back of the glove box out for - i think it is called Heater Treater or something like that.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The other one is Blen Dor. Both outfits hang out on the forums here trying to, er, market their stuff without running afoul of our no-soliciting or self-promotion rules. You can find both on eBay.
  • vicaguilarvicaguilar Member Posts: 6
    My '06 Exp. A/C blower ventcontrol (?) just stopped working this morning. A/C will turn turn on and off but air only blows thru top vents. When I turn control knob to other vents nothing changes. Any ideas out there? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    On my way home this morning, I was turning a corner and hit a small bump and hear a noise under my dash like something rolling or a rattle. I became curious and thought.... Could it be????? I turned my position(air flow) dial from off to panel.... And I had fresh cold outside air flowing in again!!!!I looked at my water temp guage and it was fully warmed up. I guess it was a stuck door as I have heard ohers talk about. Could it be? I won't turn my temp control to heat again, for fear the door will stick again until I have time to fix what ever caused it to stick. Now I can use my air conditioning again when I need, because it won't be fighting with the heater. If anyone has encountered such a thing as I have, please let me know what I need to do to fix this. I wonder if the door gasket is sagging and interfering with the door.Maybe it isn't the gasket because NO heat is seeping through at all. I guess I can't lube anything near the door because it is inside the 'box' ? Thanks for your responces so far. If I need heat, I will use the rear passenger heat...... It works fine( temperature control). Thanks. Scott ;)
    If you have the same system as my 99..... It could be the vacumn diaphram or a cracked or broken hose?? Mine sounds like a vacumn system because when I switch my dash blower locations, I hear a short hiss, followed by the doors 'blend doors' closing/opening. I have known this vacumn device to be located on the passenger side behind the kick plate.as it is on other vehicles. I would assume that to be the location. I really need to buy a Chiltons manual though . Hopefully you have an easy fix. Check the fuses????? Thanks. Scott :shades:
  • vicaguilarvicaguilar Member Posts: 6
    I did check fuses first thing, I will try and listen for hissing sounds. Are the wires behind the contol knob actually wires or are they vacuum hoses? When you say kick plate, do mean left or right side of passenger side?
    Thanks for the advice, Vic.
    Right side of passenger side. And they may be vacumn tubes instead of wires behind that switch. I am not sure. That is just a guess and the tubes can be color coded (AND LOOK LIKE WIRES). so the assembler knows where to attach them to, under the dash. This is just a guess. I am sure that mine is vacumn activated by the sounds I hear when I switch dash vents. Call a Ford dealership and ask if the vents are vacumn operated ....... first, before taking my word for it. It is just a guess and from past experiences with other vehicles.. Thanks and good luck. Scott
  • fordsjunkfordsjunk Member Posts: 1
    I JUST FIXED MINE , THE PROBLEM IS UNDER THE BIG BLACK PLASTIC COVER ON TOP OF MOTOER , ON RIGHT SIDE( LOOKING AT ENGINE) THERE ARE TWO BOLTS TAKE THEM OFF AND LIFT COVER OFF, MAYBE A LITTLE TIGHT DUE TO THE TWO POP ON CONNECTIONS ON LEFT OF COVER, REMOVE COVER AND ON LEFT SIDE RIGHT WHERE COVER SETS IS WHAT I CALL HEATER VALVE A ROUND TUBE LIKE CANISTER ABOUT 4INCHES LONG AND 2 INCH ROUND, THERE SHOULD BE A 1/8 INCH HOSE HOOKED TO IT BOTH SIDES AND THE ONE IN FRONT COMES OFF DUE TO VIBRATION OR MOVING THAT COVER IF YOUR HOSES ARE ON THEN THE HOSE IS DRY POTTED AND THERES A LEAK ON THAT LINE. MINE WAS DRY POTTED AND WAS JUST ALMOST OFF SUCKING AIR. DEALER JUST WANTS YOU TO BRING IT TO THEM SO THEY CAN CHARGE YOU..I HAVE A LITTLE VIDEO IF YOU NEED IT JUST EMAIL ME,... JOHND7854@AOL.COM
    GOOD! I knew there was one, I just didn't know where.:D. OK, folks, don't remove them kick boards.
  • sardosardo Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 ford expedition eb 5.4. last night i noticed that the driver side climate control seat was not working even though the thumb wheel light was illuminated. The passenger side was working fine.
    I tested the switch by putting it in my buddy's expedition and it worked fine, so i'm thinking it's something a little more serious. Please Help :confuse: :P
    buy a dodge ;)
    Hey everyone. I have a 2004 expedition EB 5,4. Having a problem with the reverse sensing system. When i put the truck in reverse the messenging center is telling me to check the system and i'm not geting any warning tones. Any idea's ?

• adk_jakesadk_jakes Member Posts: 1
    There is a relay on the firewall that may fix this problem. My blower would only work on high and I had that replaced. It corrected the problem.
  • quevyquevy Member Posts: 1
    I have looked all thru this forum for answers to heating issues with Expeditions but all I see are questions and no answers. Is their anyone that actually monitors these questions to give educated answers (help) to the people asking teh questions. I personally am not finding this fourm very helpful at all.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    So what's your heating problem?
  • alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Do tell....