Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toy, Model & Collectible Replica Cars

Comments

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    I'm guessing about 2.5 to 3 inches. If you find a 100 of them you can easily fit them on a couple shelves of a typical bookshelf cabinet.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Plsu most of the ones you have on that list I remember seeing them being made by Hot Wheels or Matchbox at one time or another.

Type in "your year make model" and "1:64 scale" on ebay and I bet you can find most of them like that.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    I might even do a broader search, just to be safe - people list things on ebay strangely sometimes. Bad listings can also get you a better deal on sought after items. I'd just go to the diecast page and search by make and model, weeding out the junk from there.

I know Matchbox made a 1:64 MGA, introduced around 1958. One would be lucky to find a mint boxed example for under $100 though.
    I am certain there has been a model of the Audi made either recently or when the car was new...probably the Subaru too. There are diecast makers who don't concentrate on NA sales who make models of odd cars to sell in Asia or Europe.
    This is the top of my TV cabinet where the 1:43 and smaller cars live - there has to be at least 200 individual cars here, but most live in their boxes stacked sideways to optimize room and prevent box faces from fading. I mostly collect Matchbox made through around 1964 - which is not the cheapest thing to like - but they are not losing value either.

I like the Matchbox display stand you have. Pretty neat. :shades:

edited January 2012
    Those are cute items I ordered from England - the mint loose cars live there until I can find empty boxes for them. Empty boxes are an entire branch of Matchbox collecting - many bring $100++ even without a car.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited January 2012
    The Chinese are getting quick :shades:

I remember I had a New Bright remote control Fiero when I was a kid, it was pretty cool - working lights and I think horn too.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It's a Camaro-ette! :P
    New Bright's been around for so long? I thought they're a recent Chinese company making toys. :confuse:

I bought my son a New Bright Dodge Ram remote control truck,. quite huge actually. I enjoy playing with it too as it goes over anything!

Yep, they go back at least that long.

Here's the toy I had I think it was a cheapie thing - maybe $20 or so new, but the detail was pretty fantastic to me, and it's pretty big, too.
    The listing is down, what was it?

Scroll down half way, ebay shows old listings oddly. A New Bright Fiero, just like I once had.
    edited February 2013
    Lazy me, lol. Wow that is indeed detailed. Even the wheels look exactly the same as the real ones. Not bad for an old toy.

In Poland I always wanted this toy Fiat 124p, remote (by cable) controlled and quite detailed for a communist mid 80s toy.

edited February 2013
    Those are pretty cool. I have seen those cable remote cars before, big from European/Japanese makers in the 50s and 60s. Here's a nice fintail:

I have one like this, but in a nicer box. Should take some pics, it's pretty cool:

Yeah ands those were available in Poland in the 80s. I guess during communist time Eastern Europe was about 20 years behind in available toys/technology compared to the west.

When we moved to Italy I got my first remote control car, a Ferrari Testarossa that only went forward and turned left in reverse only.

60s style toy of a 60s style car. But the detail looks pretty sharp.

I remember those type of radio control cars, with the floppy antenna. I was really into radio control cars for a few years, I remember I had an elaborate Camaro my uncle bought in Japan, and of all things, a radio control Merkur that ate batteries.

Here's my cable controlled gullwing, probably worth a little:

Nice, where did you find this gem? Does it work?

I got it when I was younger, my parents were hobbyist antique dealers when I was a kid, and they picked it up for me.

It actually does work - the lights even work, but I haven't ran it in maybe 20 years.
    Nice! I always get excited when I watch Pawn Stars or American Pickers and some cool vintage toys show up!

• lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Here's a remote control toy Studebaker for uplanderguy!

I remember a nice Matchbox collection on the former. Too bad both are kind of set-up - I have no doubt the locations on "Pickers" are "salted" as those in the trade would call it.
    That's a pretty spectacular item - worth good money. Joustra is a French maker that was in business for decades.
    edited February 2013
    Lego Volkswagen T1 Camper Van.

The BBC notes that "Like most VW vans of its vintage, it does not operate under its own power."
    I was at our local Lego store recently with my son and saw it for sale. Quite cool of a model but I think it's priced at over $100.

We ended up buying some other sets which I promptly built and played with as my son is only 3.5 years old. He likes Legos too but he's too young to build off instructions, so I get to have the fun of building stuff and reliving my childhood.

Actually most of the Legos we have are my sets I saved from the 80s when I was playing with them. I get to relive my childhood! :shades:

". I get to relive my childhood!"

We've noticed! :shades:
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    I get to relive my childhood!

That is one of the greatest blessings about having a son- building Aurora monster kits and Monogram hot rods, collecting die casts, watching old science fiction movies, going to the Indy 500... My wife said I have never had a second childhood because I never grew out of my first one... :P

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I wish I had my old Legos, especially some of the general town sets, and the Technic go-kart. Alas, I have a younger brother, so they are pretty much all gone now. MIB 80s Lego sets are big collectibles now, so I won't be spending the fortune to get them back. I do get to indulge my toy car desires now and then anyway.
    My sister is on a model car kick; she haunts way too many antique stores. Her find today included a Corgi Isetta. No idea of the vintage. She's up to a dozen cars already. Unfortunately she's not online so it'll be a few months before I can see them or get pics.
    Yeah the Technic go kart would be cool but they're like $500 if you can find them.

I noticed some of the prices are outrageous, small sets that would be priced at around $20 new today, are like $50-$80. Unfortunately I neither have the boxes or instructions. I have to download the instructions but can't get the boxes :(

That would probably be from the 60s. Antique stores can be hit and miss - sometimes bargains, sometimes insanely overpriced. The good money for 60s diecast is mint boxed items - the market has remained strong.
    I think that kart isn't too valuable now - under $100. It was a relatively basic set when new. I remember the steering the most - it was so complex and cool. The only Technic set I ever had - I preferred making buildings out of normal bricks.

You'll never find those boxes, just enjoy the toys. A few years ago I found a very basic set at a yard sale, 1989 (set 6591 - dragsters), mint in box, original price like $5. It brought $50 on ebay, I was pleased.
    edited February 2013
    Maybe you're referring to the small blue go kart. That one I had. I was thinking of the huge full size model pictured below with dual adjustable seats, working suspension, working pistons and a functioning gearebox.

I told her to look for boxes and buy those, even if they were empty. She wasn't too interested. She'll be gardening in another few weeks and this fad will be over then. :shades:
    The Lego sets my brother and I played with in the early 1970s were downright primitive to what is now available. All they had back then were the basic bricks, a few windows and doors, wheels, tires, and gears.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    My son and I built a couple of these BMW Williams F1 cars:

There is a larger model that is even cooler:

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Has anyone built an actual running full size car out of Legos?
    I saw a show where they built an entire house out of Legos including furniture. The place leaked like a sieve.
    Probably the closest thing to a Lego car was an MG :)
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I saw a show where they built an entire house out of Legos including furniture. The place leaked like a sieve.

I didn't see that episode, but wasn't that "James May's Toy Stories"?
    Yeah, the big one would have been a bit much, I was 9 or 10 years old. This is the one I had:

Emoty boxes are often worth more than the cars themselves. She could turn that into a profitable hobby, if she has luck finding any. And if she doesn't want them, she can give them to me :shades:
    edited February 2013
    Several years ago, I found a collection of those primitive early 70s sets:

I wasn't into it, so I sold them off - I think I got maybe $250 for the lot. The early boxes are really hard to find.
    I remember this one, but I had a smaller simpler blue one:

Cute. This is making me want to collect these.

I want to say my kit even had a simulated engine with a moving piston - the mechanical detail amazed my young eyes, but it was a chore to assemble.
    Yeah it looks like the red one had a functioning piston. That's cool. I'd splurge on one of the new Unimog Technic sets but they're $190 here and my wife wouldn't be very happy about it. :cry:

New sets are expensive, some of the fancy buildings are way up there too.

I have seen custom Lego builds of a fintail, W123, etc. My brother became obsessed with that several years ago, building military vehicles - but the fad passed.

Back in the 60s, Lego made HO scale plastic toy cars that were stored in little bricks. Here's a fintail: