Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sequoia Tires and Wheels

freddie_enginefreddie_engine Member Posts: 7
I have a 2003 Sequoia which I love. It has about 51K miles on it and is ready for new tires. I have always thought that for the size of the vehicle, the tires are rather small (their profile that is). The current size is 265/65/17. I'd like to know if there's a downside with using larger (profile only) than the OEM tires.
I was thinking 265/70/17.

Can anyone comment on this please?
Thanks!

Comments

• texasbuckeyetexasbuckeye Member Posts: 3
    That's a little over an inch bigger in height/diameter. The vertical travel of the springs should accommodate that height; however, you will want to check the clearance in the wheel well around the inside corners of the tire when the wheel is turned all the way to the left and right..it may rub. The bigger tire also means that the rollout of the tire would be about 3.3 inches longer so your speedometer will read a little slower than you are actually traveling (slightly over 2 mph off)
  • rcamserrotrcamserrot Member Posts: 14
    My Sequoia has 41,000 miles and I just purchase new tires.. I upgraded/upsized to the Goodyear Triple Tread tires 265/70/17 ( GREAT ride, comfort and best all round tire)... My previous ones where Dunlaps the 265/65/17. The new tire size looks great..No problems with the fit. I always thought my old tires made the back end look out of proportion with the tire size. Now it looks perfect like custom tires...They ride great
  • sam1010sam1010 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4X2. After 24K miles the Dunlop Grandtrek At20 265/65 17 Tires are shot. I was going to put 17 inch Pirelli ATR's on, but I was thinking of upgrading to a larger wheel & tire. A 20 inch wheel. What are the Pros & Cons of moving up to a 20inch wheel & tire?
    Or should I just put the Pirelli's on?
  • topwatertopwater Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2008 Sequoia and the rear wheels lean slightly in. I took it back to the dealership and that said that was the way it was designed. They showed me a 2010 Platinum and said it was the same way. Won't that make the tires wear unevenly? Has anyone else noticed this?
  • rizprizp Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Seqouia 4X4 Limited with 265/65/17. The tires are getting bad. Just like sam1010, I am considering pluz sizing to 20" wheel, with possible 285/50/20 tires. I didn't see any reply from sam11010's inquiry. I appreciate any advise, pros and cons. Thank you much!
  • gatruckgatruck Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Sequoia with a little less than 34,000 miles. It was purchased new. The tires are in terrible condition! Could someone with a 2007 tell me what brand of tire came on your vehicle as the original equipment?

Thanks for your help!
  • virgiesmomvirgiesmom Member Posts: 59
    gatruck........ I purchased a new 2007 SR5 and she had the Dunlop AT20 tire.
  • jadsincjadsinc Member Posts: 1
    I use 22" wheel with 275x45 tires. Just switched to pirelli tires for a better ride. there will be slight scrubbing at max turn radius, but this is at such slow speed, no damage to cross bar.
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    Hi-

I have about 52000 miles on my Limted 4x4. Stock tire is a 265-65-17, but wondering (before I make a mistake) if I can upgrade to 18 or 20 inch wheels/tires w/o sacrificing the handling in the snow/rain up here in the Pacific NW. I have heard stories from others that they have gone bigger, all the way around, but have suffered with the ride and handling since they use these rigs for skiing, etc.....don't know much about tire siizing, but if I go to a 70 in width, will that greatly affect my speedo?
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    As a general rule: If you go up in rim diameter, you have to go out in tire width, and lower in aspect ratio. Proper done, this will leave the speedometer largely unaffected.

But, this is the wrong direction for wet and snow traction.
  • abbylouabbylou Member Posts: 33
    Ok, so what about going up to a max of an 18 in rim? Let's say a P28565 or 70, then 18?
    First, trying to size tires and rims is pretty complex - and way beyond what we can discuss here.

I suggest you go to either Tire Rack's or Discount Tire's web site. They have done all the homework and can provide properly sized tires and rims.

But, again, going up in rim diameter is going the wrong direction for wet and snow traction.
  • stockoperatorstockoperator Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 SR5. The original Dunlop Grandtrek AT20's (265/65/17)are very soft tires - great for traction in all kinds of weather, but horrible lifespan (20K miles +/-). I switched over to the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's. These tires are very aggressive, and provide 10/10 traction in deep snow, as well as heavy rain. A little noisy on the highway, but well worth the extra cost for being able to plow through almost 3' feet of snow without even slipping. I got about 45K out of this set, and am just about ready to replace them. I have the Mich. XTerrains on my Jeep GC - and was considering them for the Toy. 65K miles and still have 10K+ left on them. - very, very quiet and comfortable ride - perhaps 8/10 in snow and rain. Another option I am looking at for the Toy is the Goodyear Fortera Triple Tred. These tires look like that have a "Revo-ish" tread design, yet with a 60-65K life expectancy. Has anyone tried these or gotten feedback?
  • algalalgal Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2008 Platinum Sequoia with approximately 27,400 miles on it. The tires (Dunlop) are already looking really rough and I originally thought they had gotten pulled and swapped by the dealership I got it from. However, after reading this forum I now realize I'm not alone. I have been researching various 20 inch all terrain tires to include the ones you listed in your post. Just out of curiosity, which one did you go with and have you been pleased? I need something than can handle a 30 mile one way to commute each day and hold up on occasional (every other month) dirt / gravel roads while pulling a horse trailer. I like the rugged look and want to put safety first without sacrificing much on the quality of the ride. I think I am also going to start a new thread to this effect, but wanted to see what your specific review is considering you mentioned two I was considering.
  • hockey14hockey14 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a used 2008 Sequoia Platinum and so far so good. I want to put winter tires on it and would prefer to have dedicated rims. I inquired with my dealer and he said 20" steel rims are not available. I've asked if the Tundra has steel rims that would fit (since they share the same platform I'm told) and have not heard back. He did quote $100CDN for 18" steel rims.

The vehicle also has the tire pressure monitoring system so I am concerned that the rims would need to be compatible with this. I'm afraid to ask what alloy wheels will cost. Any advice would be appreciated.
  • mceljomceljo Member Posts: 1
    I previously owned a 2004 Tundra and didn't realize how terrible the OEM Dunlop Grandtrek AT20's were until I upgraded to the Goodyear Fortera Triple on the second set of tires. We ended up trading the truck before the Goodyear's wore out, but are currently driving a 2004 Sequoia that had a new set of Dunlop's on it when we purchased it used. It only took a couple of months before we dumped them for the Goodyear's again. We got tired of slipping on the wet roads in Washington State. On Friday we replaced the Goodyear's after about 50,000 miles with a new set in the 265/70/17 size and they look great and I know they will perform as well as anything on the road for dry, wet, and snow. I'll keep putting these tires on as long as they make them.
  • vaaronvaaron Member Posts: 1
    I have never been a fan of thin sidewalls on SUVs. Sports cars yes, SUVs...not so much. I currently have 275/55-20 stock tires with stock rims. I am looking into going with 325/60-17 tires, but am concerned about rubbing fenders, springs or front end parts. I picked this size because Outside Diameter (OD) is about the same which will cause no change in my speedo, and I will be able to let air out for beach driving. Here is the Tire Size Calculator website I used: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html Questions: 1)will 17” rims fit and not rub anywhere? 2)I heard ride will be better but handling might suffer with taller sidewalls… comments? 3) I know there is an option to buy a TRD tire package from Toyota when buying new, but I bought used. Anyone know the tire size for this option from the factory? Any help will be greatly appreciated. 4) Has anyone put wider tires then 275s without having to do a suspension lift?
    Tire Rack only shows 18" tires for downsizing for winter tires and wheels. That might mean that either there aren't any wheels that will fit (possibly true as Toyota changed the bolt pattern in 2008 when they eliminated 17" tires from the platform) - OR - that the brakes won't allow anything smaller than 18".
  • RayCourtChav0524RayCourtChav0524 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2003 Toyota Sequoia and the tires i currently have on it are 265/65 R17 and I just bought some 275/65 R20 tires so im wondering if i need to put a lift on it for that size of tire? If so how big of a lift would i need? Id really appreciate the help(:

Thanks(:

I recently bought a 2003 Toyota Sequoia and the tires i currently have on it are 265/65 R17 and I just bought some 275/65 R20 tires so im wondering if i need to put a lift on it for that size of tire? If so how big of a lift would i need? Id really appreciate the help(:

Thanks(:

Your best bet to get an answer is to find a website devoted to your vehicle. I know of no one who publishes a summary of how big of a tire can fit under the fenderwells without modification for all the vehicles being made.
  • DinoxmixDinoxmix Member Posts: 1
    Ray, not sure if you already got this resolved or not, but I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and I have size 32 (275/55/20) tires on my car. I didn't do put a lift, but a level spacer of 2.5 inch in the front. My mechanic said the back didn't need one even though they had a 1.5 to install, they said if they install it, it would lift more the back than the front. Anyway, with these wheels and tire, it slightly touches the frame when hard turn of wheels, but not a big problem. Just make sure depending on the lift, make sure the tires is cleared, but definitely need to raise your car. The problem I have now is the spare tire underneath, I was told if put same wheels and tire it wouldn't fit. I'm trying to see if I can buy a regular 20 inch rim with a less profile of tire and see if it fits, but don't want to waste money if ti doesn't work. What do you have underneath as a spare? anyone has 20 inch wheels under their Sequoia?

• rickdonrickdon Member Posts: 123
    Dinoxmix said:

Ray, not sure if you already got this resolved or not, but I have a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and I have size 32 (275/55/20) tires on my car. I didn't do put a lift, but a level spacer of 2.5 inch in the front. My mechanic said the back didn't need one even though they had a 1.5 to install, they said if they install it, it would lift more the back than the front. Anyway, with these wheels and tire, it slightly touches the frame when hard turn of wheels, but not a big problem. Just make sure depending on the lift, make sure the tires is cleared, but definitely need to raise your car. The problem I have now is the spare tire underneath, I was told if put same wheels and tire it wouldn't fit. I'm trying to see if I can buy a regular 20 inch rim with a less profile of tire and see if it fits, but don't want to waste money if ti doesn't work. What do you have underneath as a spare? anyone has 20 inch wheels under their Sequoia?

I had a set of 20" rockstar wheels with 275/55 tires on my 01 Sequoia. In order to fit the tire in the spare location, I had to press it against the receiver hitch.