Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Edge Lease Questions

Comments

• tkschlegtkschleg Member Posts: 1
    Hey Car man,
    I'm turning in a Volvo lease on Aug. 23 and looking to lease a Ford Edge Limited in Dupage county, IL. One dealer told me that he is hearing rumors that Ford Credit will change their residual's due to the recent losses reported and the fact that Chrysler is getting out of the leasing business. He said it could save me about $100.00 per month if I sign before Aug.1.

Do you know how often Ford updates the residuals or money factors? Is it set every month at the first of the month?

Is this high pressure sales to get the sale in by the end of the month or is there some truth to it since Ford Credit lost $2 Billion?

Thanks,
  • eshaneeshane Member Posts: 1
    in Miami, FL 15k/36mo 0 down plus plus paying my last two lease payments on acura 463/mo... msrp is 31,385...dealer offer is 479/mo all in...is this a good deal? if not, what is the ballpark i should be looking at? Thank you for your assistance!!!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hi tkschleg. Even though Chrysler completely stopped leasing and General Motors' lease program is much worse this month, I believe that Ford's August lease program is the same as it was in July. It is possible that Ford might reduce its lease support after its current program ends on September 2nd, but I haven't heard any rumors to that effect yet. It sounds more like the dealer was trying to create a false sense of urgency to get you to finalize your deal ASAP.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
  • ihatedealersihatedealers Member Posts: 5
    Just leased an Edge limited (FWD) 2008 -- Here is my deal, hope it helps.

MSRP: 36,620 (Nav, Pan roof, everything but AWD)
    Sell Price: 29,999 (includes 2k factory loyalty)
    Residual = 56% (24mos)
    Money factor = .0003 (.75%)
    $300 down + drive off costs (the 300 down payment was to come off drive off but they screwed up the paper work -- no big deal)
    Base payment = $398.14

I'm in Massachusetts so I'll have to add 5% sales tax and excise tax for a total payment of $439.00

Good luck.
    Thanks for taking the time to give back and share the details of your deal, ihatedealers. Hopefully you didn't hate your dealer experience too much :). Don't forget to stop by the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of Edmunds.com to share your thoughts on your recent dealer experience as well. Enjoy your new Edge :shades: .

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you for the reply Car Man -- great website!
    I should explain why I am "Ihatedealers" -- I went to 3 different Ford dealers for quotes on the exact same MSRP/Equip Edge. I was quoted 3 different residual values ranging from 52% to 56% (24mo 10.5k) -- all in the same month within 4 days of each other. This website helped me determine the ballpark residual. I went with the dealer that gave me the highest. Anything under the true residual factor goes in the dealer's pocket. I hate the fact that they will look you in the eyes and LIE.

If you are going to buy / lease a car -- this website is a MUST!

PS - I still think I left money on the table.
    You're very welcome. I'm glad that you like the forums so much. I'm not sure why these dealers quoted you different residual values for the vehicle that you are interested in. Unlike money factors and lease rates which dealers are often allowed to mark up, dealers are not allowed to alter vehicles' residual values. Perhaps there was some confusion surrounding the terms of the lease that you were interested in or the trim level of the vehicle that you wanted. Either way, I'm glad that everything worked out well for you.

Car_man
    Host
  • norge003norge003 Member Posts: 11
    I am looking at an '08 Edge Limited, 13500k miles, 36 month lease....looking for a ballpark as to whether the dealer is full of 'you know what'. Here is what he sent me via email....any opinions would be GREATLY appreciated. My current lease is due and I really need a new vehicle. I like the Edge but I don't want to be taken. Thanks in advance!

Selling price: z-plan 30635.65
    Residule:43%
    Money factor: .25%
    Rebates: 1250+500=1750total
    The payment came out to 445 per month and a total out of pocket of 550.
    The mileage is 13500 per year for 36 months.
    Be careful because most of the other dealerships in the area are going
    with out side banks that charge disposition fees and other fees to lure
    you in and also pick apart you at termination. The normal disposition
    fee is around 500. at lease end.
    Our lease is a ford red carpet lease no hidden extras!!!!
  • morrirumorriru Member Posts: 7
    I'm trying to find the Residual, Money Factor, and any applicable rebates for the 08 and 09 Edge SEL or Limited. I live in Dallas, TX currently, and can't seem to find these numbers anywhere online...or I'm just looking in the wrong location (most likely the case!)

Thanks!
    Hi morriru. You've come to the right place. Through November 18th, Ford Credit's base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Ford Edge SEL 2WD with 15,000 miles per year are 1.25% and 45%, respectively in most areas. I believe that he numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '08 Edge are 0.25% and 41%.

As you can see, Ford credit publishes lease rates instead of money factors for the vehicles that it leases. You can convert its published lease rates into approximate money factor equivalents by dividing them by 2400.

I don't believe that Ford is currently providing any cash incentives on leases of the '09 Edge in your area, but it does have $4,000 on the '08 Edge in its Southwest region (I believe that is where Dallas resides).

Car_man
    Host
  • morrirumorriru Member Posts: 7
    Seems like the residual has dropped SIGNIFICANTLY in the past few months...Is ford doing that badly or is it just the edge?

I got a quote from a local dealer here with these numbers late last night:
    $30,215 msrp
    $28,899 internet price
    15k miles per year
    39 month lease
    39% residual

First month's payment would be due at lease inception and with TX TT&L rolled into the total, the per/month payment would be $512...seems kinda high to me. Opinions?
    You're right, morriru. It's not just Ford though, the residual values for almost all trucks have dropped significantly over the past several months. First the high gas prices and how the tight credit market / slowing economy have taken their toll on used vehicles' values.

$500 per month is way too much money to pay for an Edge. Not to mention the fact that it's not worth it to lease any vehicle that has a sub-40% residual value. If this deal was offered to me, I'd pass.

Car_man
    Host
  • stinesstines Member Posts: 1
    My husband drives about 23,000 miles a year for his business with the potential to travel more. We are currently in a lease contract with Ford.
    Is it less of a loss to continue leasing or to purchase outright? His boss just purchased a 2008 Tahoe (over $40,000). He has 30,000 miles on it already and looked at trading in and they told him it was only worth $25,000.
    I don't know how bad our lease will end up within the next 6 months, but what is the best option for us financially? Can you help?
    Hi stines. How many miles per year does your lease allow? The highest mileage allowance that Ford Credit offers is 19,500 miles per year. So you are likely way over your mileage limit. The only way for consumers who are way over their mileage limit to avoid having to pay a large excess mileage penalty is to buy their vehicle at lease-end.

Used vehicle prices are falling at the most rapid pace that I have ever seen. Unfortunately, that means that your Edge's purchase option price is likely much higher than its current real world value. If I was in your position, I personally would place a call directly to Ford Credit a month or two before the scheduled end of my lease to see if they would be willing to negotiate my vehicle's end of term purchase price. When you call, don't mention that you are so far over your mileage limit. There's no guarantee that they will be willing to work with you, more often than not banks won't, but you don't have anything to lose by trying.

Car_man
    Host
  • vball76vball76 Member Posts: 2
    2009 Edge Limited - Fully Loaded

MSRP 38,100
    PRICE 34,087

Money factor: 1.25%
    Residual: 16,383

$2500 down payment (includes first month)
    $412.00+tax for 38 months

This came from a dealership in Los Angeles.

Opinions on this deal? :)
    Not sure what offers they have in Cal but in the Northeast, dealers are advertising about $8k off SEL trim. I don't see why they can't do that on a limited. Only $4k off MSRP seems weak -- I would fight for more..
    Did you build and price the car in Edmunds? This will give you the invoice and average price people are paying..
    Good luck.
  • vball76vball76 Member Posts: 2
    I ran the numbers through the True Value Pricing thing and it said that the our price is below the average paid in this area. We managed to get the deposit down another $500 for a total of $2000 down, but they won't budge any more on the deal. This was their final offer. :)
  • indianajohnsindianajohns Member Posts: 89
    CarMan,

Do you know the current numbers on a 2009 Ford Edge SEL 24 & 36 month leases for 10,500 miles per year?

Thanks
    Hey indianajohns. Keep in mind that Ford's lease program often varies by region. The most widely available lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Edge SEL AWD with 10,500 miles per year are 0.50% and 47%, respectively. Ford is not currently offering support on 2 year leases.

Car_man
    Host
  • elliemaejelliemaej Member Posts: 79
    does anyone have residual and rates for 24/36 month 12k miles. I am in CT. My lease is up in the summer but I got a postcard to come back now and they will make the last 2 payments.
    Hi elliemaej. I believe that Connecticut is in Ford's New York region. In that area, Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Edge LTD AWD with 12,000 miles per year are 1.0% and 46%, respectively.

I only mentioned the 36 month numbers because Ford is no longer providing support on 24 month leases.

In addition to this special lease rate, I believe that Ford is currently providing a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of this model in your area. Make sure to take this cash into account when negotiating the capitalized cost for the Edge that you're interested in.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks CarMan, my lease is not up until Aug but my dealer sent me a postcard that they will take it back 2 payments early. I really like my Edge and would like another one. The residuals and lease rate dont seem as good as when I leased but it could have been because it was so late in the model year.
    Now I need to dig out my old lease spreadsheets from my as last least and plug in the new numbers.
    Thanks again.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    What happened to us is a classic example of why one should never put any significant money down on a lease. We put zero down on our 2008 Edge Limited lease in November of 2007. The Edge was flawless and we really liked everything about it. Late last month we had a house fire and the Edge was in the garage, going up in flames. Had we made a down payment in order to reduce the monthly payments, we would have lost that money when the Edge was destroyed and our insurance would have had to pay less. As it is, our insurance is "buying" the Edge and thus the lease is paid off and we will have payment from the company for sales tax and registration fees. Zero out of pocket costs plus no lost down payment.
    :sick:
    No problem elliemaej. Unfortunately, in general the residual values that are available today are not as attractive as the ones that were available several years ago. For a period of a number of years, banks were overestimating vehicles' future values. Things started to get bad when gas prices exploded last summer, which took their toll on the resale value of all trucks. As the recession began to grip the economy this weakness in resale values gripped all used vehicle prices. The banks that are heavily involved in leasing are being forced to take huge charges for their residual value exposure. As a result, they are much more conservative today with their resids.

Good luck in your quest for your new ride. Let us know if you have any other questions and how things turn out.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi Car Man, I was wondering if you know if the rates and residuals have changed now that we are in June. It seems that the incentives have gone up.
    The stock of Edges is pretty high in my area so I am hoping for a good deal.
    If you could give me the rate and residuals for 36/12k for the SEL and Limited Trims in both AWD and FWD, that would be great.
    Hi elliemaej. I have seen Ford's June lease program. Unfortunately, it varies by region. For now I will take a stab in the dark and guess that you are in the NY area. Let me know if you want the program for somewhere else.

Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2009 Ford Edge SEL or Limited AWD with 12,000 miles per year in its NY region are 1.25% and 44%, respectively. The numbers for an otherwise identical lease of an '09 Edge SEL or Limited FWD are 1.25% and 43%.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks CarMan, I do believe that CT falls into the NY area but not 100% sure. I have notice lately that 2010 models are showing up in the online inventory of some dealers. Have any 2010 lease rates been announced yet?
    I received an postcard from Ford stating that I can return my lease early (2 months).
    When I went to the dealer today to discuss my options, he stated that mileage would be prorated. For some reason,I was under the impression that they didnt do that. Can anyone confirm this to be true?
    My only reason for returning the car early was to avoid the over mileage fees.
    I will wait until the end of my lease and pay it then.
    You're very welcome, elliemaej. Yes, Ford actually just introduced a special lease program on the 2010 Edge late last week.

Ford Credit's current base lease rate and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Ford Edge SEL or Limited AWD with 12,000 miles per year in its NY region are 3.25% and 46%, respectively.

Ford is currently providing a $1,000 cash incentive on leases of this model.

Car_man
    Host
    Thanks for the info CarMan. I ended up with an '09 SEL w/ Sync, Auto Lift gate, Leather and Sun Roof.
    X-plan price. The dealer took back my lease 2 months early ('07 Edge SEL +, 24 month)and they ate my overmileage.
    I ended up buying because the leasing was not very attractive (compared to 2 years ago). I was able to get the 0% for 60 months.
    I am happy with my new Edge, so far. Not too many changes from the '07.
    No problem, elliemaej. Thanks for letting us know how everything turned out. It sure sounds like the dealer bent over backwards to get you into a new Edge. If you had a pleasant dealer experience, you can tell others about it over in the Dealer Ratings & Reviews section of this site.

You can't argue with 0% financing for 5 years. If I was in the market for an Edge, that's probably the way that I would go. Enjoy your new ride :shades: !

Car_man
    Host
  • chorniechornie Member Posts: 9
    Would like to know what the current Ford Red Carpet Lease money factor and residual values are on a 2010 Edge SEL and Limited, both AWD. Interested in a 24, 36 or 39 month lease with 10,000 miles.

Thanks!
    Hi Ford's lease program for the Edge was originally scheduled to run through October 5th, however I heard a rumor yesterday that it is going to enhanced its lease offers on a number of vehicles in the next day or two. I'll give you what the old program is like for now. Please feel free to check back with me in a day or two and I will give you an update on what the new program is like.

Ford Credit's base lease rate for a 36 month lease of a 2010 Ford Edge SEL or Limited AWD were anywhere from 0.5% to 3.75%. The exact rate depends which one of Ford's myriad of regions you are in. Let me know what state you live in and I can tell you the exact rate that is available in your area. Ford Credit's 36 month, 10,000 mile per year residual value for this truck was 49%.

The numbers for an otherwise identical 39 month lease were 0.75% to 4.0% and 47%.

Car_man
    Host
    Thank you Car_man!

I live in Cleveland, Ohio. I also posted on the Ford Flex thread as I am interested in rates for that vehicle as well.

I look forward to reading your next update.
  • varick222varick222 Member Posts: 6
    I am in NJ and have a quote of $ 490 per month for a 2010 SEL AWD with a sticker price of $ 36,500. The lease is for 27 months with no out of pocket money except sales tax and motor vehicle fees. The dealer said the interest rate is 1/2 % and the residual is 48%. This residual seems low since the previous posts state the 36 month residual is 49%. Can you confirm the current money factors and residual on the new 27 month program.
  • varick222varick222 Member Posts: 6
    I forgot to mention that the 49% residual in the previous quote was based upon 10,500 miles per year.
  • kinngkinng Member Posts: 6
    Hi All and Car_Man,

The lease on my ford edge is up on the 11th of Oct. It was originally up on Aug 11 and I was able to get it extended for two months. The MSRP was 34265 and the buy out is $20,717. It has low miles and is in great shape. Lease payments were 440 a month.

We are desperately in need of a car and I have the following questions:
    a) should I buy it out?
    b) if not, would there be a similar car (SEL with premium package - vista roof and leather) that I can lease with no money down and approx 450 a month?

I look forward to any help. Please let me know if I can get into another lease at a similar rate or if this is worth buying.

If buying is better - do they negotiate on the end of lease purchase price? If so how much!

I cannot tell you how important this is. Appreciate anybody'd help in this matter.

Thanks!
  • chuck68516chuck68516 Member Posts: 195
    Car-Man,

Please post the current 2010 Ford Edge SEL AWD lease rate and residual on a 27 month lease for Omaha, Nebraska. Thanks for all the great info you provide.
    I have a quote on a 2010 Ford Edge SEL with Vista Roof, Candy Red Tinted paint, Option 201A. MSRP is $35,670. Rebates are $3750. Trade equity $2762.26.

$298 per month for 27 months including 7% tax with only first payment due at signing. What do you guys think?
    Wow!

You better jump on it!

What area do you live in? I would like to know what interest rate and residual value they quoted you. I'm in the Cleveland, OH area and I was quoted WAY higher even with A Plan.
    In Omaha, Nebraska. Residual was 53% and lease rate was 0,25%. I had initially contacted the dealer where I leased my last Ford because they are the highest volume Ford dealer in the area. They offered me $200 under invoice. I sent an email to this dealer and they were WAAAYYY under invoice and he said $298 including tax. I will probably do it.
    Very nice residual and rate considering the times. That is the the best I've seen. Doing some calculations you are basically getting the A Plan price with great terms and all the rebates.

Here in OH it is 49% residual, 1.00% rate and higher tax...big difference!

Enjoy your new Edge!
  • cey1cey1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what the residuals and rate are in the Atlanta Area for a SEL? Also what are the incentives?
  • wnukwnuk Member Posts: 40
    Anyone know what the residual and money factor for an SEL AWD in Northeast Pennsylvania are? Also- Ford has so many incentives and I'm not sure which are available on their Red Carpet Leases. Would like to know for both 27 and 36 month leases.
    Thanks
    Hi chornie. I believe that the 3.75% rate is the one that is available in your area.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi varick222. I can indeed confirm that the lease rate and residual value that you were quoted are correct.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi kinng. In order to determine whether you should purchase your vehicle at the end of your lease, you need to compare its purchase price to its value on the open market at this time. Even though it states your car or truck's purchase option price on your lease contract, you should place a call to the bank that you are leasing it through just to make sure that you have the correct figure. When you do so, it never hurts to try to haggle with them. Some banks will negotiate the lease-end purchase prices of vehicles. If your initial contact at your bank is not willing to lower your vehicle's purchase price, you may have better luck if you work your way up the ladder to a manager. There is a good chance that they will not lower your vehicle's price, more often than not they will not, but you don't have anything to lose by asking.

As I said earlier, once you know exactly how much money it is going to cost you to buy your leased vehicle you need to compare it to its current value on the open market. You can find out approximately what your vehicle is worth by looking up its Edmunds.com True Market Value in the Used Vehicle Pricing section of this site. You also may want to stop by the following discussion: "Real-World Trade-In Values".

If your vehicle's purchase price is less than or similar to its current value on the open market then you may want to consider buying it. If not, walk away.

As far as how much a similar new Edge would cost to lease, I would be happy to work up a sample lease payment for you if you provide me with the MSRP and approximate selling price of the truck that you're interested in. You can find that information over in the New Vehicle Pricing section of Edmunds.com.

Car_man
    Host
  • rockymtnwulfrockymtnwulf Member Posts: 4
    I have a question about a Ford Edge 2010 lease "deal"...

2010 Ford Edge Limited FWD
    MSRP: $38,915.00
    Z Plan Pricing: $35,000.00 (I am not sure what the actual price is)
    Doc Fee: $275.00 (I thought this was max $75)
    Title, License: $400+ (They are not sure of the actual amount but will charge this and if it is less, I will get a refund)
    Wear Care: $675.00 (I think this was the actual price)
    Acquisition Fee: $595.00
    Rebates: $3,500

39 month 10,500

$537 per month for 39 months

Residual is 47%
    Interest Rate/Money Factor 4%

This "deal" is in Central Florida. After they told me one price and then I met with Finance to sign the papers, the price was different - higher of course. Even though I was told by the salesman the price included tax, finance told me the price went up because tax was not included.

I asked to see all the numbers. The finance person became very sarcastic and started belittling me, she was also rolling her eyes and making a lot of movements - very unprofessional. She started reading off the prices from her computer screen and tilted the screen so I could barely see it.

To get the price back to the original quoted price the salesman gave me, finance changed the warranty to 36 months to leave me without a warranty for the last 3 months of my lease.

I took out my phone and started searching the web to show them how I believed the Doc Fee is only supposed to be $75. The salesman came into the finance office as I was searching and wanted to know what I was doing. I told him and he became irate. The salesman and finance woman mentioned how I can trust them and I am getting a sweet deal. They are not making a profit - they are losing money. When I mentioned the spif(?) check, I was told the dealership gets that and they are personally losing money by putting this deal together.

They told me if I don't sign tonight, I could forget the deal. So, I got up and left.

The salesman called me 20 minutes later asking me to come back tomorrow night.

Questions.....
    1) Is this a good deal?
    2) Do I have to take wearcare?
    3) Why am I being charged for a warranty?
    4) Shouldn't I be charged the exact amount for registration and license fees?
    5) What is the Residual and Interest Rate/Money Factor for Florida. I have good credit if that makes a difference.
    6) Isn't the doc fee supposed to be $75?
    7) What is Acquisition Fee?

Thanks in advance!
  • wnukwnuk Member Posts: 40
    I personally would not work with a dealer that did business like this. You have every right to know the full deatails of the deal before you sign anything and to walk away was the right thing to do. In order to see if your price was fair, can you provide a little more information?

1. Is "Z" plan pricing the price the dealer would give you on the vehicle before any rebates?
    2. Did you put any money down?
    3. Are rebates applicable to "Z" plan pricing or do you just get the "Z" without rebates?
    4. What is the sales tax rate percentage in Flordia?

I'll use your provided numbers, make some assumptions and detail the lease calculations below:

Known Factors:
    MSRP: $38915
    Residual: $18290 (MSRP multiplied by 47%)
    Money Factor: .00166 (4% divided by 2400)
    Toal Dealer fees: $1945 (Doc fee $275, Title $400, Wear Care $675, Acq. fee $595)

Selling price of vehicle:
    "Z" plan pricing $35000 minus Rebates $3500 = $31500

Depreciation Value: (amont of vehicle you will lease)
    Selling price ($31500) plus dealer fees ($1945) minus residual ($18290) =$15155

Depreciation Payment on Lease:
    Depreciation ($15155) divided by 39 (length of lease in months)=
    $388.59/month

Interest Payment on lease:
    Selling Price ($31500) plus residual ($18290) multiplied by money factor (.00166)=
    $82.65 per month

Base Payment on Lease:
    Depreciation Payment ($388.59) plus Interest Payment ($82.65) =
    $471.24 per month

Sales Tax Payment: (I am using 9%, that's what it is here in PA)
    Base Lease Payment ($471.24) multiplied by slaes tax rate (.09) =
    $42.41 per month

Total Lease Payment:
    Base Lease Payment ($471.24) pus Sales Tax Payment ($42.41) =
    $513.65 per month

These calculations assume you can use rebates and a sales tax rate of 9%. It also assumes you put no money down. If you put any OOP, deduct it from the selling price of the vehicle. I'm not sure on the Wear Care, I personally would not accept it. If you choose not to, deduct it from the dealer fees listed above to refigure the payment. One more thing to check is I was told by a dealer here in PA just yesterday that the residual on a 10,500 mile lease of an Edge SEL AWD was 50% and not 47%. 47% was for a 15K a year lease. This is becuase of the lower miles the vehicle would have at the end of the lease. Hope this helps some.
    I just picked up my 2010 Edge SEL AWD, MSRP $35,670. Payment is $297.81 on a 27 month, 10,500 mile per year lease. This includes 7% sales tax. Had to go about 50 miles away to get it. My local dealer was stuck at $372 a month on the exact same vehicle, exact same terms.

My advice is to shop around. The higher the MSRP, the lower they can go on sale price. (more money to play with). So on your Limited you better get a ton off that price. Go to the highest volume Ford dealer in your area. Tell them upfront that you do not want to mess around. Tell them you want their best sale price and it better be well below invoice and then you want the rebates deducted on top of that. Worst case scenario is they say they can't do it.

Some states LIMIT the amount a dealer can charge for a document fee and some states do not regulate it at all. I personally limit it to ZERO dollars as it is just extra dealer profit and every dealer who charges it will gladly waive it if you ask. It's just paper. Why should I pay $199 for paper? What's next, they charge you a light fee for sitting in the office with the flourescents on? A chair fee for waiting for 30 minutes for the finance guy to get his papers shuffled correctly? An ink pen fee for having to use their ink to sign the contract? Etc, etc, etc. They are already charging you for all this stuff. It's called selling you a vehicle. McDonalds doesn't sell you a Big Mac and then ask you to buy the container for an extra dollar and napkins for 50 cents each and another 50 cents for the bag. All that should already be figured into the price of the Big Mac.
This discussion has been closed.